Coinbase

Coinbase has a consumer rating of 1.66 stars from 320 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Coinbase most frequently mention customer service, bank account and phone number problems. Coinbase ranks 206th among Cryptocurrency sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 8.9%

No positive highlights yet

• To make it even worse, there is no access to customer service.
  • I found a series of fraudulent charges ACH from Coinbase to my bank account.
How would you rate Coinbase?

“Easy, simple and trustworthy company”

Filip H.
2/23/21

Easy simple and best choice for crypto beginners where to buy your favorite crypto and send it directly to your wallet. Some coins are possible to stake like Cosmos and Algo with 5-6% APY but only in limited countries. The fees are just a little bit higher so for advanced users i recommend to use Coinbase pro. The company is much trustworthy, payments and withdrawals are working. If you'd like to join use my referral link coinbase.com/join/halmo_7 and you will get 10 USD.

“Terrible customer service”

Benjamin K.
1/13/21

Have asked them repeatedly for help with my verification process as I put in an abbreviation of my legal name. Got multiple copy and paste replies telling me to just go to my settings, despite the fact that it won't physically let me change my legal name. You used to be able to ring them to discuss your issues but they stopped that. Typical greed cost cutting.

customer service (36) bank account (30) customer support (19)
benjamink270
January 13th, 2021

andyj161
January 14th, 2021

They have blocked access to my Money for weeks and will not answer simple support requests.
I thought it may have been a one off technical problem but after some research on a number of social media platforms and reputable news feeds it seems I'm not the only one.
Please check Coinbase on any review site that allows some sort of unfiltered content before you sign up and give them your hard earned cash.

charlesc1069
April 14th, 2020

Lots of people rate this site. My experience was very dispiriting. I entered two credit cards each with generous allowances on and they were both rejected when trying to make a purchase. I could not get my bank account verified as the page with details about making a £2 deposit refreshed and there was no way to start again. Dont think there is real "contact us" service - its just a set of pull down menu items of the things they imagine will go wrong and then you are sent to pages which you have already read

williams3267
January 12th, 2021

Stay away. Virtually non existent customer service. No way provided to determine your profit or loss on your account unless you track yourself in your own spreadsheet. Set a limit of on $5,000 a day direct deposits from bank account and very slow to transfer money withdrawn back into bank account. If you can qualify, your much better off investing in Greyscale Bitcoin Trust (GBTC) or ETHE thorough your broker.

Purchased Bitcoin

svenk20
June 18th, 2020

The customer service is one of the worst I came across.

Incompetent, inconsistent and repeatedly did the exact opposite of what had been requested!

Based on their replies it was easy to tell that they obviously didn't read the mail at all.

If I wouldn't know it better, I'd say the people working for coinbase support are getting high at work - at least that how it felt, dealing with such an amount of misunderstandings and incompetence...

And worst thing is, my exchange fees are probably paying those useless operators'.

chrish1929
February 2nd, 2021

Coinbase is totally a scam. They'll sell you crypto at inflated prices due to technical malfunctions on their end. Then they don't give you any customer support, it's impossible to talk to anyone at this company. How they are allowed to operate speaks to the integrity of the judicial system and financial system. You might as well just burn your money at least it'll keep you warm, more than you can say about the non-existent customer support at Coinbase. I would stay very far away from dealing with them.

do not use Coinbase

do not use Coinbase

povz
February 6th, 2021

Hi there
I have 'Temporary blocked' account for over 1 month now. Multiple emails sent with screenshots including date and explanation and request to ENABLE account. Tickets raised. Calls made. No response from Customer support. Change of password made. Confirmation emails received. However access to account is not granted for over a month now. I am having account for over 2 years.
Think before registering to coinbase.
Seeking legal advise regards this case.

Avoid using it

Crypto currency

xijingm
June 30th, 2020

Was able to log on one time to make a minimum purchase, but two weeks on I cannot access my account so what good is a purchase of goods or services if you can't use what you paid for. Just keep getting bot e-mail reply's and no resolution, seems I'm not the only one having trouble trying to access an account with coinbase. This so called company is just ripping people off of their hard earned money. Stay clear of this scam site there are much better platforms to acquire cryto assets.

keving835
January 13th, 2021

No contactable customer service for such a large company is unbelievable.
I had a large sum of money just vanish from my account and despite daily emailing the so called "customer service" I've had 1 reply to say they have seen my problem and will get back to me ASAP.
Given the money this company must make with their high fees surely they could at least have some kind of contactable customer service.

charliek104
February 10th, 2021

Horrible! Terrible! The customer service is very slow. The withdrawl availability takes 7 days or longer before you can withdraw. The fees they charge for buying and selling currency is outrageous. Absolutely do not deposit money in this app. I am dissatisfied. Negative starrating! They are scammy and if your money ever got in a bind, you can't contact them quickly or even at all. Try calling their customer service number and see what happens. You'll be deeply saddened. DONT USE THIS APP.

coling63
February 14th, 2020

Coinbase utterly useless at support. I sent a Stirling transfer and they lost it. Raised an issue but no reply other than Boilerplate email acknowledgment. Contacted them by email, through their site and on twitter but always ignored. Not interested when things go wrong even when they have your money.
Don't expect any help if a transaction goes wrong.

jayr394
August 17th, 2020

I used the vault feature for added security and it requires two email approvals prior to withdrawing it from the vault. The primary email account worked just fine; however, the secondary email verification loops you back to the coinbase site without executing the approval. I cancelled and attempted it again and it still did not work. So I have a large amount of crypto that I cannot get access too. Totally inept customer service; STAY AWAY FROM THIS EXCHANGE!

filiph12
February 23rd, 2021

The company is much trustworthy, payments and withdrawals are working.

durwoodd3
February 10th, 2021

I'm 10 hrs. Into trying to register with Coinbase and their bank linkage software is totally dysfunctional - can't link with TD Band or PNC banks. There is no direct customer support. All of this just to transfer Bitcoin from my Localbit account to a new Coinbase account. Ironic that Coinbase is only interested in my dollars and not my Bitcoin to set up a new account. Additionally, Sitejabber make your policy acceptance box more visible.

Tip for consumers:
Use another exchange instead of Coinbase.

Products used:
Will try another crypto exchange because Coinbase is totally dysfunctional.

evad268
November 30th, 2020

I have been using Coinbase for little wile now. I am extremely upset about all of what they do, and they hide. I have not been able to speak with anyone. Their customer service is horrendous at best.
I don't trade tons of money, and because of that, they eat up all the profits. I have made profits every time I sell, but they eat it up. I honestly don't know where to go that charges reasonable or low fees. If someone knows, please reply here.

steves1886
February 8th, 2021

On January 6th, 2021 around 9:57 pm I was doing converting some of my DAI crypto to DNT. DAI is a stable coin, which means it simulates the U.S. dollar and stays around $1.00. When I did this transaction it turned my 6,643.52 DAI with was worth $6,657.88 to DNT, which was trading at. 10 cents at the time to $3,932.42. Somehow $2,725.46 magically disappeared from my account! After going back and forth with Coinbase through emails because they do not offer phone service, they refuse to take blame for their mess up and refuse to reimburse me my money. I've spent almost $10,000 in my lifetime with Coinbase and they treated me unfairly. I'll leave some pictures below to prove my case. Please consider going with Binance or Kraken for your Crypto needs! I'm a day/weekly Crypto trader.

Tip for consumers:
Do not use Coinbase for Crypto trading and buying. Use Binance or Kraken!

Products used:
Cryptocurrency. DAI and DNT.

marks2732
July 6th, 2020

Arbitrarily locked my account so that I could't send or receive Crypto, including the funds I already had there and that I had paid for with my bank account. Customer service is also absolutely useless. Will have to raise a complaint issue with my country financial regulator. Seriously recommend you avoid using this platform, it is terrible.

noahr63
November 21st, 2020

This place is what it is, but my account was already verified and once i started throwing money around again what i put in is now locked up for at least 4 days when i literally except and need it right now.
I could be missing out on a few hundred dollars i can get over it but major WTF moment, customer service was only fast for my first message and they didn't give me a real answer. There are probably better fiat accepting exchanges you can go to lots of people seem to have problems with coinbase not what it used to be.

elliotd33

My recent letter to Paul Grewal, Coinbase Chief Compliance Officer
I am writing to Coinbase to confirm that I have received no response to five messages requesting help for my account. Specifically, I made a wire transfer to Coinbase on 1/8/20. Coinbase has never verified or confirmed receipt of funds.
This is my second letter to your office to resolve this issue. Despite Coinbase's receipt of wired funds, my portfolio still shows a $0 balance. Coinbase continues to send me emails asking to choose a method of payment despite having already received wired funds to my account. Where is my money?
From the time funds were transferred to Coinbase I have lost money on the trades/purchases I had intended to make upon Coinbase's receipt of funds to my account. Where is your response? This level of customer service from a licensed broker-dealer is disgraceful. I trust at least one of my messages will be responded to in short order.
Do no do business with Coinbase

Tip for consumers:
Do not except to receive any help as there exists no customer service.

danielg1096
January 14th, 2021

Like everyone else, I wish I have read these reviews.

Deposited a large sum from my bank after creating a new account, after using Revolut for a few weeks I had heard that Coinbase was what people used. However, they have to initially review the account. No problem I thought, and fair enough as there are rules to follow, I will simply withdraw my cash until the process is complete. Nope - my money is now their money, until perhaps they feel like doing something about it. From reading online others have been stuck in my situation for months.

Please, read reviews first

Products used:
Deposited money, could not withdraw money

daler200
February 5th, 2021

For 8 days the two factor authentication code is not working. I have requested help on three occasions and other than the canned response saying they will help me as soon as possible, I have not received anything from them.
Once this is straightened out I will be removing everything from this wallet and never use this company again.
Absolute horrible way to treat customers.

Tip for consumers:
Do not use this company under any circumstance.

Bought BTC

ahmedt34
September 1st, 2020

This site is a SCAM, they have my account under review for over 3 weeks after doing the first deposit & can't use the money inside it now even to their wallet & even can't exchange to another currency!

grahamj48
November 28th, 2020

Your ok paying money in you try and get it out! Recommended by a friend, who doesn't seem to have any problem with them but only has a low amount in there, I have 3,800 pounds in and cannot get access to my own money, customer service are useless, and don't even respond to my enquires any more..

mf309
August 8th, 2020

Coinbase is the most crooked crypto exchange you could ever work with. Look at how many bad bad bad reviews they have. I am waiting a whole week to access my money. They keep using the excuse that the device that I'm using to authorize the two step factor is not recognized when this has been my phone ever since I opened up my coinbase. If you use coinbase then you are screwed!

johnw2612
April 13th, 2020

When I tried to stop these automatic exchanges, they just locked up my account and now have me jumping thru all kinds of hoops to try and re-activate it. I've tried it half a dozen times without success. It seems impossible to talk to a human by phone at Coinbase support. I don't think they are crooked (I hope not) but they are sure out of their depth when it comes to customer support

Good luck. You have now joined the ranks of hundreds of customers with the same problem/complaint. Try filing a complaint with the SEC and New York State Department of Finance.

By Elliot D.
See more answers (3)

Maybe you should try the team at Assetstrail, my colleague had his account hacked and his funds stolen on coinbase but was able to recover it with assetstrail. Tech. He later realized that his funds were stolen as a result of his carelessness and not coinbase's

By richard w.
See more answers (3)

Not sure we will find out as more is revealed in the coming days

By Joseph G.
See more answers (2)

You guys deal with the crooks. They exchange your hard currency to their bitcoins and you loose part of your money because these crooks play with exchange rates. After I sent them $86 to pay for my medicine I found only $72 left on my account there. So, I lost my medicine.

By Stan L.
See more answers (2)

I'd email again. With companies that do not give out their phone number, you need to repeat your request for answers via email. Squeeky wheel gets the grease.

By Lila W.
See more answers (2)

You can't! Don't ever try to communicate or use the Coinbase site if you ever purchase a new phone. This prevents you from accessing the account by your cell phone or desk top as I have tried for two days and have had no success with their " Customer Support Team "

By Norman C.

The thing is people generally only write a review if they got cheated. And thus from all the reviews (not just this site) you can tell that they screwed over a lot of people (including me). Let's say that 95% of people have a good experience with the site, what about the remaining 5%. If a company is not loyal to all its customers then that company should not exist, especially a company dealing with money. My advice is, stay away from them. Use localbitcoins to trade and bitgo to store, way better and more secure.

By Simple B.

I think coinsfix, com is a better platform to exchange bitcoins and other cryptocurrency

By Julia H.

They try to compete with prices of local traders causing them to lose money because of the volatility of bitcoin. To save themselves they go offline, delay transactions, etc and wait for the bitcoin price to turn in their favor before they send you your money. Classic bitcoin company scheme, stay way from them at all cost. Use localbitcoin, way better.

By Simple B.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Coinbase staff and other customers.

Coinbase is a secure online platform for buying, selling, transferring, and storing digital currency.

johnm557
John M.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coinbase?

Have a question about Coinbase?