Chain Reaction Cycles reviews

Tel: +44(0)28 9335 2976
customerservice@chainreactioncycles.com

chrisw648
5/22/19

Now they are stone walling me. Wont respond to emails. Wont help. Stay away from these clowns. I will be forced to dispute charges on credit card

michaels2200
4/29/19

Ordered two new Tyres / Tubes. They charged for and sent six of each leaving me overcharged by £120.00.
They refused to issue immediate refund leaving me £120.00 out of pocket due to their mistake.
They are happy to hold my money for their mistake and seem to have a 'tough' attitude in so much as I have to trust them to Issue refund but they wont trust the customer in so much as issuing a corrective refund in lieu of returned item. I know this is their policy but it seems very unfair when it is their mistake.

td119
3/13/19

I recently order a pair of dhb Classic bib shorts from CRC using the manufacturers sizing chart in which I was on the small side of the scale. After receiving my item and trying them, I discovered that they were uncomfortably on the small size. After contacting CRC several times and always getting the same answer that they will except my return and offer a full refund, but at my cost of $20 to return ship them. They were not at all interested in resolving my issue without additional cost to me.

laurenceg19
2/18/19

They completely mis-sold an item, it was a Rockshox rear shock which was advertised as a Debonair one. Over 10 times this term was used in the description, spec and in the title. It wasn't at all, it was also taken from an OEM bike and was completely the wrong tune, this wasn't listed. Obviously this was a disappointment but mistakes happen. I contacted them regarding this and they didn't seem to care at all with just standard copy and paste replies. I was asked to return it back to them using an Asda service, the nearest of which is over 20 miles away, so a 40 mile round trip due to their own fault. All together their service is pretty hopeless and impersonal. I have wasted so much time with far too many emails back and forth and received nothing but a large inconvenience. This is a real shame because previously I remember good service and easy returns. One to avoid now. Still yet to receive a refund.

jayf99
12/23/18

I had spent over $3000.00 in my first 18 months as a customer. My overall impression was good so I made the leap and bought a bike. It was a BIG mistake. Massive duty and courier handling fees of 27.2% amounted to $860.00, so unless the bike you're looking at is 50% off, you're not getting a deal at all. That's on me for not doing enough homework.

Their courier DHL was brutal. Terrible communication of details. I spent hours on their website and on phone calls. Chain Reaction just kept telling me everything was on track. It was not. I had to call DHL repeatedly to find out what they wanted and from whom. Finally, a third person informed me that in order to move ahead with delivery I had to sign a Power of Attorney to absolve them of responsibility because the bike was worth over 2500.00 and that I had to pay Duty up front. Then their own website warned that paying Duty on their site would likely end in paying a fraudulent malware site that had hijacked various common browsers. So I had to try different browsers until I finally uploaded Firefox, which did work.

When the bike finally arrived it was missing a part, had the dropper cable damaged so it wouldn't work properly, and the frame (back swing arm) was badly scratched. I had to go to a local bike bike store and buy a missing seat post collar for Pete's sake. They reimbursed me to the penny for that (except for time and gas of course). After six or so long conversations back and forth with photo evidence, their Customer Service solution: "You will receive a 9/10ths of 1% site credit." I paid for a new bike, not a beat up one. After saying this was unsatisfactory and suggesting instead that they send a replacement frame section that I'd install for free, they altered their offer to include sending a new dropper cable and offered a 1.8% store credit. Throughout, they were polite, stubborn and condescending because they are in the driver's seat. I'm just a schmo customer across the ocean and basically screwed, so they just had to wait me out. It's obvious this isn't their first rodeo. I eventually just gave in because it was obvious they were digging their heels in and it wasn't going to get any better. Now imagine that I have warranty problems in the next year like a cracked frame or anything else for that matter? I'll be SOL. I know that now.

This was my favorite online store before I stepped up and bought a bike. Now after buying one I feel screwed, angry and insulted. I've unsubscribed from daily emails and communications from Chain Reaction. I actually looked forward to these and bought many times because of their emailed sales notices, but NEVER again. I will never purchase from Chain Reaction again and will dissuade all my contacts from doing so either. It's the only recourse I can take. Just beware that you won't win as the customer if things go sideways. This my first complaint in hundreds of online transactions (not all were great), so know that I'm not kidding around. I'm trying to do you a favour before you make a big purchase and possibly an even larger mistake. It's pretty surprising that an online retailer would behave this way in response to legitimate and fair complaints in this day and age and be willing to jettison good customers permanently for an easy buck. I can't recall a single other example I've experienced that was this shabby and frustrating. And now all my mountain biking friends are done with Chain Reaction too because of my experience. So well done, Wiggle, you won... It's back to our local shops and alternative North American online stores.

Update: Received a new cable sent quickly and free of charge. Installed it myself to avoid the onerous process involved to get a local shop to estimate the work to see if it was within a prescribed amount and then bring it back for the work and then submit receipts for reimbursement. Another note: Unfortunately, the black part of the paint job scratches or chips right to the aluminum if you even look at it funny. I've never had paint chip out on previous bikes no matter the battering they took. The paint must be too thick and brittle. Otherwise the Vitus Escarpe VR Eagle 29 seems to be a very nice but very heavy bike. The buying experience, however, flat out sucked.

dans675
12/23/18

Ordered a bike bag for my sons Christmas present 2 weeks before Christmas. Two days before Christmas receive an email saying that my order was cancelled and I would be refunded in three business days. RUDE crappy and unprofessional company. DO NOT advertise what you can't deliver!

richr74
12/18/18

Ordered some Clark's brakes for my sons mountain bike. Before I fitted them I decided to remove the pads to see what type they are. The screw pin with the hex head was that tight that the hex head rounded. I tried the pin on the other calliper but didn't use as much force as this would've rounded off too. I thought I would leave that one so that they could see for themselves that it was not right. Well after emailing photos and warranty form to them they just came back with "you must have used the wrong size hex key so warranty is void" I can assure you that as a service engineer for 30 plus years I definitely know my way around a set of allen keys. And incidentally my Allen keys are snap on and not the pound shop multi tool that they gave me when I bought my wife's £500 qube bike 3 weeks ago. I've not even had a reply to my last email so I've ended up here leaving this review. It's not the only place I'll be leaving feedback. All this for some £60 brakes.

richardp480
12/17/18

Read the reviews on returns with this company not just here but on their Yelp page, bikeradar and other spots. You'll see quickly that they do what they did to me often and to everyone which is they give you a fake tracking number when you return something to them and then they tell you it's lost in transit and you have no way of tracking it because you've been given a fake tracking number. If you try to deal with their customer service people they'll just continually ask you the same questions, please provide this number, please provide a copy of this, please tell us what you ordered from us and when. I gave them all that information several times and each time that I've asked them where my refund or my product is I get asked the same questions again. If this isn't thievery then someone please define what that is. Stay away from these people you'll regret it there's a reason why they can undersell anybody, they're selling products that were returned to them and no refund given so yeah you can sell it for half price that way.

gerrid10
12/6/18

I was sent a damaged bike, no solution offered after 3 weeks of them arguing by e mail.
My son has no bike for Xmas now because of their incompetence.
They use parcel force, a cheap carrier which doesn't work at the weekend!
Now I can't get the bike exchanged or refunded!

simonh141
11/24/18

Used to be a good, efficient company who i think were genuinely interested in providing a good service.
Unfortunately, the Wiggle acquisition has put paid to this, so Chain Reaction have turned into a company that is more interested in getting money off you and providing the bare minimum of service in return
What a shame

tomr313
11/13/18

Really poor customer service. We made a mistake and ordered the wrong size tyre, their return policy is difficult to follow and when our return was lost in transit we lost our money. Our own fault I know as we failed to keep the tracking number however the attitude from their customer service staff was terrible it is basically "computer says no". They didn't offer us anything, even a discount on a reorder or any sort of solution. Would never deal with them again. They did not communicate with us at all, it was up to us to keep contacting them to see if the return had arrived. Prices are cheap for a reason. No care and no responsibility.

noahs56
11/5/18

My things are not at my house but you want a review. It's difficult to get a hold of the appropriate... links, computers, people.. not stoked!

peterh489
9/29/18

Provided them with an address to Maine. They sent my package to Boston. Was in conversation with them, once I realized this and pointed it out they stopped responding to me. I will add photos to prove this later today.

joes982
9/11/18

These guys are thieves. Mailed me a wrong item. I sent it back. Never got the refund. The worst company ever.

curtp14
8/19/18

I bought an very expensive Schwalbe tire. Schwalbe told me they would gladly have exchangrd it since after installing it I had 3 blowouts in three short rides. The bead was bad. Because I am in the US and Chain Reaction is in the UK, Schwalbe U.S could not honor the warranty. Something to do with taxes They said the exchange should not be a problem with Chain Reaction. Chain Reaction has a very archaic warranty process. I cannot process the warranty from a mobile device. Even though I sent all the correct information and a photo by email, they insist I print out the form, fill it out by hand, somehow magically attach a photo to it, take a picture of the form and send it back to them via email. Wait!!! I already provided all the info via email. What is their problem. Stay away. Not worth the bad service

marinr3
8/8/18

Do not get fooled by the 9/10 score from trustpilot. They HAVE MANY PROBLEMS
First of all they do not care at all about how they send their items and how you receive them.
Forks are being sent in a plastic bag literately and I ordered 5 so far and only 1 of them did not came damaged.
Their LOGISTICS is bad as well, got a parcel sent by royal mail to a Collect Plus delivery point which was not accepted by the delivery point and I lost the item because it is out of stock and still did not receive a refund and they do not want to do anything about it!!!!
They do not exchange products, so be very careful if you are working on a bike project because you will have HUGE DELAYS. They block your money for 2-3 weeks until you get a refund so be careful with your BUDGET.
They have processes which contradict their own terms and conditions.

Yes they have good deals can't argue with that, but the time wasted, money blocked and crappy customer service does it worth it?

martins277
8/4/18

Hello, my name is Martin and would like to tell you about my experience with CRC.
The worst company I have ever dealt with. So here is my story:
I ordered new bike and padles to go with it on Monday morning. I paid with card so the money was taken from my account basicly immediatly. I got an email next day saying the order was just shipped. But afer reading the email properly I realised they shipped only the padles. So I contacted the support asking when is my bike going to be shipped. Appart from the typical copy - paste nonsence talk about the bike being prepared I was assured that the bike was allocated to my order. This is part of the actual response from CRC Virginia:
As far as I can see on our system, the bike has been allocated to your order and should ship in the next few days.
That was on Tuesday. Since I wasn't getting any reply for a while I also tried to contact them through Messenger. I got a reply from CRC Claire this time claiming exactly the same:
The bike looks to have been allocated and going through its pre dispatch inspection.
Today is Friday and since the online system was still showing PROCCESING I decided to contact them again. I even managed to catch someone on the live chat but couldn't believe what the guy - this time Richard - was telling me. To be exact I was told the bike is no longer available and they are canceling my order and sending money back - it will apparently take ut to 10 working days to appear in my account. And if didn't tell the Richard guy that the amount is not correct he wouldn't send me the shipping fee back (EUR 120).
So the result of this is: the padels for the bike I will not be getting are waiting for me at the post office, they keep my money for the bike for over two weeks and the biggest joke is the fact that their website claims they have only 5 of the actual bikes in stock and I should order soon.
To be honest it all looks to me like a total scam and way how to gain profit from customers money while not actualy having the bikes in stock.
Supposedly I will get an email from Richard CRC explaining why he canceled my order for stock issues at the same time their website claims 5 pieces in stock.
I have to say I'm very frustrated. I was expecting to go on a trail trip with my daughter and now I don't have the bike (but I have the padels for it) and don't have the money I paid for the bike. WORST ONLINE BUYING EXPERIENCE EVER.

jacquesb22
4/23/18

First time, I deal with them and that is definitely the last. I wanted to cancel my order minutes after the purchase, big problem, they did not answer their phone and their Chat service is a joke it does not work, so they make it impossible for you to contact them. Then I had no choice but to email them and they answered saying sorry, it is already in the dispatch process. Are you serious, it is just a paperwork mumbo jumbo, the item has not even been packaged and not left their premises yet and they cant cancel it? All that send red signals for me. No doubt their customer service is badly left to be desired. For me, they are definitely on the never again buying list. My bad, I should have checked their reviews before jumping in.

stefanh41
12/18/17

well the order went out quick as promised and also delivered to the tesco in town as promised. only once i was there did i find out that actually they sent it with the wrong courier and that although i can see the parcel i cannot get it. after speaking to them for ages they said i need to download an app on my phone, then edit a document they have sent me declaring that i did not receive the item before they can refund me. That was the only option. they couldnt get the barcode or anything else. just a refund when thats pointless if you can see your order but not get it. $#*!test service ever! use amazon which have brilliant customer service and can ship to any address and offer to ship a new order before getting the old one back.

Tip for consumers: use amazon!

bobb1438
11/21/17

They ripped me off on a return, tried to blame me for their error, so they stole $10 from me- never again, watch out.

kierank12
10/6/17

Non dispatched Items

Non dispatched Items - No satisfaction from CRC
Recently ordered 3 items from CRC. One item arrived as part delivery. The remainder did not arrive despite my having received dispatch notification email with a tracking number included.
I checked the tracking number with the delivery company but they had NO MATCHING NUMBER.
Trying to contact CRC was difficult as their chat system seems to be usually in UNAVAILABLE status, and on those rare occasions when it is AVAILABLE it is usually BUSY and when I was finally able to get access it took quite a while to progress in the queue.
I did eventually get through and the CRC operator told me to fill out a 'lost in the post form'. which he emailed to me. The form was in a proprietary format so I was unable to open it. Next day he sent the form as an email and I duly completed it. I did not receive any prompt response and when I emailed a status enquiry next day the same operator told the form was not filled in correctly as I had not signed it. I should mention here that I am only temporarily at this address and have no access to to printer or scanner. I explained this to the CRC operator, and also sent him the original dispatch email I had received from CRC with the item tracking number, and also a link to the delivery company's tracking facility where CRC could verify that they had not in fact really dispatched the item at all. No response from CRC.
The whole episode has been very frustrating and aggravating for me.
Thankfully the items in question were not of great financial value. I have learned that
1. CRC's dispatch processes are problematic (items not sent)
2. CRC does not seem to understand it's own dispatch process (unable to verify dispatch locally with tracking number).
3. CRC has zero interest in resolving the problems that it causes (customer obliged to do all the investigation and declare they are not a thief)
4. CRC is very comfortable in alienating customers ( unhelpful ad slow-or-non-responding staff)

I won't be using or recommending CRC again.

richarde68
3/18/17

I have recently bought a 2015 661 Evo AM MIPS and was happy with the purchase until I recieved the product and found out it isn't what i was expecting. I have been using 661 for years and is quite familiar with their products. As soon as I took the helmet of the boz I immediately notice how different the strapping material is and it also does not have the fidlock magnetic closure system,(the box says it does) which is a standard feature of the helmet. Upon further inspection I noticed it didn't have the usual markings/stickers you would see on a 661 helmet. I emailed them and they insist they sent me the correct product and that they dis not advertise the product as having the Fidlock Closure System which just doesn't make sense because it is a standard feature on 661 Evo AM and it is printed on the box. I have not heard from 661 so I just decided to return the item and get all my money back. And hopefully it will turn out well.

janv44
12/21/16

BEWARE. I returned a package to CRC by post.nl. Although it was delivered and signed for, CRC claims they did not receive it and refuse to refund. Second problem concerning the same order: one of the items was missing. Again CRC claims they did pack it. Don't believe anything of what they say anymore. Client support is non-existing at CRC, once they have your money, they're gone.

patrickb99
11/16/16

Nearly $250 in "shipping" and custom charges that were not disclosed during the order process. When the shipping custom sent me the blackmail notice to get my bike I have to pay an extra $150 I check the company's website and found the customs disclaimer at the bottom of the page. Quite deceptive and erases any of the value the company offers. Get you bike elsewhere it will be a better value.

hervinderp
7/4/16

have bought many cycle parts from here and have always arrived on time and well packaged.recently bought two tyres but one had a slight dent in the steel bead.they immediately said they were sorry and offered an immediate replacement.that is how you look after your customers.just also bought some more parts and they were better packaged than the bike i bought from that terrible company tredz.in all chainreactions is a great company and highly recommended.

Questions? Get answers from the Chain Reaction Cycles staff and other customers.

Chain Reaction Cycles?