Review of Bill.com

Palo Alto,, CA 94303, USA
Tel: 650.621.7700

julianr98
6/21/19

I originally got a recommendation to Bill.Com from a member of the Facebook associated with the community that I organize, and opened up the account to take payments from members either making donations, or purchasing items for a relief fund for rideshare drivers in the area. About a day later, I got a request from a "Stacey J" for several documents to continue using the account.

I'm not sure what triggered the request, as the person who recommended it doesn't require having ever been asked for them, but they were mostly pretty standard: photo ID, passport, and most recent bank statement, along with an EIN certificate and a copy of our "business license".

I took a look at my profile, and realized that my significant other, who set up the account, used the wrong information to start (she assumed I'd using one of my older LLCs, and not simply my own name and social as a sole proprietor). I made the corrections to the profile, updated the information to just reflect a sole proprietorship using my own social, and reached back out to Stacey J with both clarification, and the remaining documents she requested. They included a copy of the bank statement with my name on it, my photo ID and passport, and an explanation that Colorado doesn't have a generic "business license", but occupational ones, and that freelancers and sole proprietors don't actually need or get these. For reference, you actually just Google it:

This quip from UpCounsel at the top of the search pretty much sums it up: "Colorado Business: Business Licenses
The state of Colorado does not have a generic or general license nor does it have a state business license. Instead, licenses are occupation specific. One can apply for a license for different state agencies depending on the type of business, profession, or activity."

The photo IDs were scans I already had, and a PDF of the bank statement was easy enough; and then explained that the profile info had been updated, apologized for the mistake and update, and that there was no such "business license" for sole proprietors here in the state of Colorado operating under their own names and social. I also reminded her that I *am* using my own social (which is acceptable by the IRS as a sole proprietor ... an EIN is not a requirement for doing business), and awaited her reply.

She responds by asking for "original copies" of my IDs, and, as if she hadn't read a word from the email before, a re-request of my "business license" and EIN certificate; as well as asking for a description of what we'd be using the account for.

I take photos of the IDs, and upload them, which was not a big deal, and *reiterate* what I said before. I asked her, since "business license" is a fairly generic term, and things like this do differ from state to state, if a DBA filing would work. I said if she'd confirm that, I'd take care of that right that minute, and send it over to her. It could also have meant a filing with the department of revenue, which wouldn't have been necessary, but I'd look into if she'd confirm and clarify for me. It could also have meant an occupational license for the City of Denver, which also isn't exactly necessary for operating out of your home office, but again: I'd set it up if I needed to. IF I understood that to be what we needed to move forward. And *one again* reiterated that we would NOT be using an EIN for this business, but my social, so there'd be NO EIN certificate for that. And my social had already been confirmed and verified on signup.

A day passes without response, and then after I reach out to remind her that I was standing by for clarification, the ticket and account are closed, with a comment from her that they don't provide services for "consumers". It was almost as if she wasn't really reading what I was writing her. And it should be noted that the person who recommended this service to me was an INDIVIDUAL using her SSN and billing clients as a freelancer. Very much the same setup.

I respond to that email, reminding her that I'd been seeking clarification, and that I was not a "consumer", but simple a sole proprietor, and asked yet AGAIN for clarification for the documents she needed as they related to my state and situation. Her answer was the following:

Dear Julian,

Our services are designed specifically for business to business payments. Unfortunately, we are unable to approve your account for consumer use. Your account can be reactivated once all of the required documents are received.

As a result, your account has been deactivated and canceled. You will not be charged for any subscription fees for the current period.
Regards,
Stacey J.
Operations

Not a SINGLE word in response to the detail that I gave her, and not a SINGLE attempt to clarify the documents she needed in lieu of the laws in Colorado. In fact, there wasn't a response to literally ANYTHING I said. She repeated herself once, and then faded, and now I'm speaking with a chatbot from a Kafka novel. Which documents? Are they the ones I suggested, or NOT? I even asked why I was considered a "consumer", and if it was policy that they don't handle sole proprietors operating without an EIN. Maybe they didn't; I don't know. But I don't know, only because every attempt I made to clarify that (heck; I guess I'd set up an LLC and a new EIN if I knew what the situation was, which I very much know how to do, and have done with other ventures), elicits this same exact response. It's almost as if she's just not bright enough to recognize a problem, and solve it; or maybe in her defense, she's under a lot of pressure to "scan" interactions like this without actually interacting with it; just having to get a large amount of support requests off of her plate.

But yeah; this is a horrible way to manage this end of a company. And current emails detailing the clarification I need are .. surprise: summarily unanswered.

carment39
9/11/18

Integrations will kill you and the customer service people are condescending, they assume to know the problem from past files until they realize that each case is different.

alw67
7/30/18

If you spend all of your time in Bill.com, it's probably a great product. However, everything breaks down when you use any of their integrations. Both the Quickbooks Desktop and the merchant account interfaces to Vantage/Paytrace have so many bugs. Their tech support is good about helping you out with any challenge, but the bugs never seem to get fixed no matter how many time you point them out the them.

samn48
2/8/17

Don't use this company at all. They approved us on an account we charged our first client 4800 dollars for a 2 day rental in a Lamborghini Huracan Bill dot com notified us that payment was cleared and would be made available shortly after .. 4 Days after services were rendered they voided the payment and refunded the client leaving us to hold the bag. Client rented car and we don't have our money. Poor customer service they don't have a phone number so your forced to chat with them and none of them are ever able to provide you with any details

lonnag
7/1/16

I was referred here by a friend and I took the risk of transacting even when she said she only read the reviews too. But at the end I'm glad I did business with you guys.

Questions? Get answers from the Bill.com staff and other customers.

Bill.com?