Review of Avvo

Tel: 2065087153
cancel.ads@avvo.com

anonymousa224
8/12/18

I cannot believe there is not an avenue available for the public to post about bad attorney practices without the potential of us (the client) being sued by deceptive and even illegal practices by lawyers. Can they just charge us anything they want even though they do not the job that was instructed? I had an attorney that could not even write a cover letter without grammatical errors and content mistakes. However, he charges nearly $300 an hour??? He also made major changes to my original legal documents without my consent and said I needed to report my spending activities to him on an annual basis??? There is no reason for any of this. Yet this person demands payment and shows absolutely no results. AVVO does not help us (the client) that is made to pay high legal fees as it will not allow honest reviews on the attorney websites. Even if this was honored by AVVO then the potential of being sued by an incompetent attorney looms large. I wonder how many of these "five star" reviews are actually created by the attorneys themselves as so many are listed as "anonymous". AVVO should be shut down as it does not help anyone except the attorneys for who it was created to begin with.

crisj6
8/9/18

If you want to be frustrated, annoyed, ignored, and have dubious guidance, then go ahead and use Avvo. Their rating system is super counterintuitive...ex., No Concerns doesn't really mean No Concerns! It's a misnomer. And if you try to use their "Chat Room" to ask questions, no one responds. You'll be engaging in one of the saddest soliloquies of all time.

herbertw24
7/29/18

Left multiple questions about a couple legal issues I am in and no one responds. Responses in 12 hours my ass its been months since I have asked the questions. The only way to get an answer is to use the connect to an attorney, which of course costs money.

roberth892
7/22/18

I did a neg review on an atty and after me in 8 months he had more neg reviews last night looked this seattle atty up and he had all 4 and 5 stars. Pay off from atty to avvo? 4200 down the toilet and he never showed up with paperwork. Always pay for the tape to watch a court proceeding and always show up to a hearing.

mikec123
7/19/18

What is the purpose of this website? I posted 3 different questions about criminal defence and bankruptcy case. My questions were up for more than a week and I did not get any replies.

ninaj22
7/18/18

I hired an attorney but he didn't do what he was supposed to do. I went online only to give him a review on Avvo so that other people would not wasted their money on this bad attorney. However, Avvo removed my review and they only let you post good review for the attorney on their website. I guess the attorneys paid them so that they will only let you post positive review for them. This is not a good platform for you to find an experiences and good attorney. STAY AWAY from this website!

jimd307
7/16/18

I asked my question seven times over two weeks. Pretty straightforward stuff. My landlord tore up our bathroom a month ago and has left it unusable. I also sent personal messages to four or five attorneys. Nothing. I get it. It's free. But if this is how things go, they should just shut it down.

marvelr1
6/22/18

On June 2015 I hired Steve Rossi to represent me when I was falsely accused to striking a student. Mr. Rossi took a retainer of $2,600.00. Once he took the money he told that he couldnt appear on my behalf because if he did the Union UTD would drop me like a hot potato. I tried to post a complaint with about and they kept objecting to my wording I reformatted more than 7 times to no avail. Avvo is there to protect their own not the public.

timothyh160
6/2/18

No matter what format I write it in they will not let me leave a review for a horrible and unethical situation I had with an attorney. My goal here was to make sure others are protected from unethical practices and Avvo seems to care less about that.

juanar6
5/23/18

Im in attorney and used to subscribe to AVVO. I canceled my subscription and two clients of mine have tried to post positive reviews on my behalf. AVVO has not published the reviews. Based on my experience, I conclude that this company will only publish good reviews if you pay them.

pattyh79
5/22/18

Yes even though I have done filed out for an attorney to contact me here in Noblesville Indiana I need a lawyer and the person running there Facebook's needs too stop being a smartass. They said they can not hook me up with an attorney it's like ok I can take my money and business elsewhere the moron feeling disappointed with avvo.

lancel32
5/11/18

It is obvious that Avvo only posts positive reviews. They asked me to rewrite the review for it to be considered. There is not much that I could change as i just presented the facts. I do not know if the attorneys answering the questions pay to be on Avvo, but I would guess that the do, based on the Avvo response to my review. I was shocked that they would not post my review. I was very factual and did not attack the attorney's character, as this attorney did to me on the Avvo forum. The attorney never addressed my question, but immediately jumped to conclusions and insulted me. After providing further info, she gave me unsolicited advise that was snippy and impossible in my case. She still never addressed my question. I left Avvo with the feeling of disgust.

martinw32
5/4/18

I have used Avvo in the past to assist me with contacting an attorney to represent me in a legal matter. Recently I attempted to use it again, at which time one of their recommended attorneys never contacted after I made direct contact with him via his website. Avvo contacted me about a week later to inquire about my experience with their recommended attorney and to ask if I would write a review. I chose to do so in order to politely inform other potential clients of my experience with the Avvo-recommended attorney. However, in spite of repeated attempts, Avvo refused to post my review. Of note: Their recommended attorney is a 5-star client of Avvo and I rate them with only 1 star. It seems to me that Avvo is protecting their 5-star client by not allowing me to post my negative experience with their client. This action feels dishonest and slimy because it appears that Avvo will only allow positive reviews of their clients. If this is true, it begs the question: What good are ANY of the Avvo attorneys if all of their reviews are possibly manipulated? As you can see by many of the other reviews on this site, I am not the only person with this same issue. Please understand that I am reviewing Avvo and not all of their attorneys.

samm242
5/3/18

Avvo does not allow bad reviews from clients. I reviewed my lawyer who is not ethical and professional. I listed all reasons and followed what they called " review policy", My review never got approved. i tested with a good review about the same lawyer, it passed right away. Avvo definitely is very subject and provides zero value to the public. totally a waste of time

matth2634
4/24/18

Lawyers give vague information and being a company out of Washington they probably are run by illegals. Asked simple questions about housing, etc., questions go unanswered or ignored. Similar to www.Justia.com, www.lawqa.com. It was my go to place for advice as lawyers of local BAR association are greedy and give vague advice as well.

roberth719
4/11/18

Attorneys pay to be featured on the site and be promoted there. The site publishes bad reviews of attorneys that don't pay but helps those that do.

brettt17
4/7/18

For attorneys and by attorneys. They will not post a negative review. They're a joke. Just a directory. They are misrepresenting themselves.

jano70
3/31/18

THEY CENSOR HEAVILY. THEY ALSO SELL SERVICES TO ATTORNEYS. THAT'S WHERE THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY. DON'T BOTHER WRITING A BAD REVIEW AGAINST AN ATTORNEY AS THEY WILL NOT POST IT.....

danielc261
3/27/18

Post a legal question, was my first time, apparently i did it wrong, so instead of being polite and correcting me, the lawyers choose to make personal attacks about my character, needless to say i will be spending my money elsewhere.

lorettah16
3/23/18

I asked a simple real estate question and received three replies. None answered my very simple straightforward question, but at least one took the time to understand the situation with an ounce of empathy. One made assumptions that were totally wrong and biased and declared I should move and another declared I was crazy for not having a lawyer and asking questions on the website.
So I thanked the one lawyer and let the other two know I didnt find their responses helpful. Apparently dont ever ever tell a lawyer they are wrong because the nasty responses I received were appalling. One of them was so pissed off he emailed me twice because he felt I was less than grateful and I am really cleaning this up for the kiddies.
Using AVVO will convince you all the bad things they say about lawyers is mostly true.

cynthiah98
3/12/18

You can be as clear and straightforward with your question as is possible and you won't get much in return. With the sketchy, half-hearted replies, you'll wonder if these attys even totally read your question. Or understood it. Not worth the effort and I've tried several times. I give this 2 stars because at least they email you with some follow up contact, like they care a tad. Though it's relevant to what you asked only about half the time.

jennaj18
3/8/18

unprofessional lawyers who aren't even trying, and you can't give bad review because it'll always be rejected for dumb nonexistent reasons even though good reviews are always kept

lyng16
3/8/18

Biased platform for the benefit of attorneys and not consumers. This company only posts positive reviews and will not accept negative reviews. I wrote a fact-based truthful review of my experience with an attorney, citing case filings and other reliable and verifiable sources and AVVO still denied the review. Ive since read on many other websites testimonials that justify my exact claim. This is a very wreckless business practice as it misleads consumers who are looking for good, reputable attorneys to hire for legal representation. Retainer fees can range 3k, 5k and upwards. There should be a class action suit filed against AVVO by all the consumers who used the AVVO platform to consult/hire an attorney that theyre positively advocating in exchange for subscribing to their services. Truth is, the consumer will never see any negative experiences voiced by consumers. Not only is this misleading but its corrupt and scandalous. After my truthful fact-based review and loss of 3k to an incompetent attorney, heres what AVVO responded: We are writing to inform you that your review of Sarah C******* was not approved because it does not meet our community guidelines.

nd68
3/1/18

You can not make a critical complainant on a lawyer because they are all a gaggle of criminals that stick together with only one loyalty and that is to the Bar association. Daniel S. Gerow told me the Law written by criminal lawyers was to protect women and children. Daniel S. Gerow St Clair Shores, MI 48081 said No equal protection under the law and no 14 amendment and the Constitution didn't mater.

rogerw86
2/23/18

I made a complaint about Steven Katz who has a conflict of interest, but it was refused by Avvo on spurious grounds

i believe it's a scam. there is no correlation between how good an attny is and their avvo rating. based upon my personal knowledge of several attorneys that i have become very familiar with since unwittingly believing avvo information i would warn people not to trust this site for an impartial assessment of attorneys.

By vilma i.

AVVO is managed by attorneys for attorneys. It is a recipe for deception, self-interest and greed.

By Heath K.

What is being asserted about rejection of negative reviews is absolutely consistent with my experience. Don't waste your time.

By Jae J.

You actually can't place bad review or rating for attorney anywhere, including Martindale Hubbell or similar websites. Even if bad review is approved and posted, it will be removed by attorney request in a few days.

By Peter S.

Because AVVO is a scam service that inflates attorney ratings, but systematically blocks negative reviews. Avoid at all costs.

By Bleck Y.

Because this is also pay-to-play service and lawyers "Awwyers" have paid access to remove not only bad reviews, but bad comments as well. And funny, they always agree to each other in their incompetent answers.

By Peter S.

Don't bother in my opinion,,,,,,,,it's a fraud..............I am a consumer and found that people now know their reviews mean nothing...........

By sharon l.

There are "certain words" in their software, that kick out, "negative reviews". I actually got an email from AVVO telling me why they were not allowing it and for me to re-write it. I did and then the attorney wanted them to confirm I was an "actual client". I re-wrote 2 sentences, and that made it on. It is a JOKE as are the BIG BABY ATTORNEY'S who cannot handle one word of criticism, or they threaten to sue you! THE BAR GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE in Connecticut is the BIGGER JOKE. Its like you are complaining to a defense attorney, that is responding on their behalf. It seems they are all allowed to commit any crime and its always dismissed. Making up fake documents, making yourself POA so you can sign these ridiculous documents, is LEGAL? I never "waived" ANY CT STATE LAW that prevents the attorney from profiting off the case more than the plaintiff." That document was emailed to me a year after the BOGUS UNDATED settlement, that was also emailed to me with him signing MY name with a MAGIC MARKER??? The worst part is, in the dismissal, the entire letter, DOES NOT ADDRESS one thing in the complaint. It ignores all the fraud and crossing out dates on NOTARIZED documents. Why would I the plaintiff with 8 screws in my neck, GRANT INDEMNITY TO THE DRUNK DRIVER & MY ATTORNEY? I would never sign such ignorance. THEY LIE AND CHEAT and when we complain or expose this, we are ALL SHUT DOWN. They talk about me having a "fractured clavicle" when the NEUROSURGEON actually gave me a 2 level CERVICAL FUSION. Do they think a neurosurgeon is going to operate on someone with a "fractured clavicle"? They did not even get my injuries right, even when I pointed it all out to the GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE in CORRUPT CONNECTICUT. That is right Attorney QUINN, SR. What an intimidating puke on the CT grievance committee you are. God is waiting on yoou, he gave me a God-wink" on all of your behavior. You and FRANK McCoy, JR.

By Cris B.

Questions? Get answers from the Avvo staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Avvo