Argos

Argos has a consumer rating of 2.56 stars from 54 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Argos most frequently mention customer service and head office problems. Argos ranks 132nd among Electronics sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 15.8%

No positive highlights yet

• Dreadful company, waited 3 weeks for delivery, damaged item and customer service very slow and unhelpful
How would you rate Argos?

“Reliable and trustworthy”

Lyndsay W.
5/15/20

Always a pleasure to purchase from argos my. Order always comes with a delivery slot, clear. Communication and items always of great quality.

“Help please Argos”

Diane N.
6/28/20

Monday 8 June you delivered me a Normandy 5 draw chest. In final assembly we realised that the top had "drop" damage. No luck at all on chat lines re. Covid too busy! In the end wrote to Argos head office enclosing a receipt plus photo of corner damage. Still no reply. This not like Argos and I am now getting so fed up with this "no customer care line free to help" Everything cannot be blamed on Covid, where can I speak to someone please who will help me. All your Argos stores are still closed too.

customer service (10)
andrewf423
June 20th, 2020
Tried returning an item bought in the covid lock down and finding it impossible to get either a refund or a replacement. They expect me to organise my own! This company does not follow the law with returns and repairs.

The local store manager at Barrow-In-Furness were rude and unhelpful. Instead of phoning the manager to ask for advice they ended up calling the police on me because she doesn't understand consumer rights. I will never shop at Argos again.
donaldm46
September 11th, 2020
Appalled at the level of customer service at Argos Oban store. I purchased a new vacuum yesterday which is obviously faulty. Took it back today however the staff and management were very dismissive and refused to refund or replace. I would not recommend Argos and will not be returning
dianen326
June 28th, 2020
grahamw97
August 18th, 2020
Ordered a washing machine - all other on line companies offer next day or 3-4day deliery. Argos offered me the earliest slot of 17 days. I was going away for 7 days so decided I could live with the wait and at least I'd have all my holiday clothes to test it on. 2 days before delivery they magically changed my slot to another 18 days out and asked me to confirm this was ok. 35 days wait for a ashing machine. What a joke. I cancelled. Now waiting for my money back - they have had my money for 20 days... thanks Argos...
agbozied
August 25th, 2020
One of the best stores around, Their service is top notch, and their staffs are always ready to help
vimalc1
January 29th, 2020
Awful experience with Argos - terrible customer service from the telephone CS team

Reserved an item from a store 20 miles away (item wasn't available anywhere else)
Spent over 2 hours & fuel to collect item.

Back home, tested item was faulty (potentially a returned item) and should not have been resold.

Told Argos they should at least compensate me for the wasted journey, or offer to send a working replacement. They refused and said it "was a personal choice to collect item". It wasn't a personal choice to be sold a defective item!

A rude manager by the name of Rebecca refused to show any empathy and consideration for my awful experience.
Was told I could hand write a complaint to the Head Office of which I would not receive any correspondence. Very bizarre as there would be no proof that my complaint will ever be dealt with.

Argos has a poor dispute service and wont take responsibility for reselling returned & defective items. They hide behind a poor customer service policy which does not take into consideration the effort a consumer goes through to collect an item. They are also unwilling to take complaints via email and wont offer to post out a replacement.

Other online sellers are far more receptive and the distance selling regulations in the UK are far better than when physically purchasing from a store. It makes you wonder why the high street is failing us.

Argos simply hides behind a dated, inflexible and rigid Customer Service Policy which seems to make the managers think they can be rude to paying customers.

Poor form Argos!
panark
March 15th, 2016
In the beginning of December I ordered some gifts. Later during the month, I recieved e-mail that there was a try the purchased items to be delivered and there was noone at home. Which is lie- all day there was a person, the doorbell (working) did not ring all day, there was no notification for delivery on e-mail, there was no notification put on the door for try for delivery. After another day and hour range for delivery was set, nothing happened. A second call was made. From Argos they informed me that the item i out of stock from November. How they accept payment for item which is out of stock? How they try to deliver something that do not exist in their warehouse?
Later I got my money for the item back. But I did not get my money for the delivery back. A delivery that was not made, that does not exist as there is not good to be delivered.
A third call had to be made for getting my money for delivery back. It took me a month to play on "give-my-money-back" game.
alisonc16
August 23rd, 2015
In my opinion you judge a company by how it deals with things when they inevitably go wrong. Any half decent company has the majority of its transactions flow smoothly.

I have bought from Argos on many occasions previously and had no problems whatsoever.

My latest attempted purchase of a lawn mower was a very different process. Having taken my money I still hadn't received my purchase two weeks later. Trying to contact customer service and find someone prepared to take ownership of the problem. In the end I contacted my credit card company. My money was refunded.
johnl3300
November 11th, 2020
What ever I want to buy shows up on there site but as soon as it's in the basket it shows out of stock for delivery, this web site is a total waste of time.
tomn327
November 6th, 2020
Arose currently advertising that they sell SIM Free Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G 512GB Mobile Phone–Black 202/1960 for £549 I tried every location locally but nowhere had it. I contacted customer service advice I was prepared to travel to any location to purchase and collect. Their response was we can't check stop. I emailed their head office same response. I attempted to check each region to determine where the phone could be collected without success. 2 months later the phone is still advertised and still no where stocks it. Argos need to get their act together.
dk340
June 28th, 2020
Back in March I placed an order for a printer and it arrived on the day it was due. From the start the printer has been nothing but trouble with terrible quality streaky, patchy and washed out prints. Then after a handful of unusable prints it says "Low on ink" so i just presumed it must be faulty as my Sister has the exact same printer and says how brilliant it is.

I have VERY bad anxiety so i never use the phone and always prefer to email. There is NO contact email address on the Argos website which seems ludicrous to me in this day and age. But with some searching i managed to find an email address so i contact them there.
I get a reply saying before they can look into my order they need me to confirm my full address to which i reply straight away. Then exactly 30 days later they finally reply and tell me to get in touch with the manufacturer of the printer. I find it convenient that they reply exactly 30 days later so that i fall outside of their 30 day return window.
As i say i have VERY bad anxiety and never use the phone so to have to contact another company is just too much for me. I haven't even left my house for 20 years so that gives you an idea of how serious my "Issues" are.

So i am now stuck with a printer that does not function properly. The printer was packed up into the original packaging and put in our spare room shortly after it arrived as it is not fit for purpose.

I have since emailed Argos countless times and have not had one reply. And looking at all their other reviews it seems i am not the only person to have been ripped off by them. It's bad enough for people who don't have any issues to lose their money but for people with Mental Health issues like myself it makes things So much harder! It seems Argos do not care about that as long as they have your money they do not give a damn about what happens to your item.

How can a HUGE company like Argos be allowed to send customers faulty products and then simply do nothing about it when the customer informs them?

I know that it is a very difficult time that we are all living in right now but i placed my order back in March. If Argos could arrange a collection i do not mind at all. All i want it my money back.

And obviously i will NEVER be shopping with Argos ever again. They could take a tip from Amazon as their returns process is simple and hassle free.
alanh349
April 20th, 2020
It seems that Argos have stopped collections for return items. They expect us to store items indefinitely until the end of the Covo crisis. It was only when I went onto the Argos site that I only then found out about the storage issue; they don't tell you about this when you order. We ordered a Spear & Jackson S2434CR lawn mower which had a defect in manufacture but this is a bulky item to store. They seem to be determined to stop anyone contacting them about this. Telephoning is impossible and they send an automatic reply to emails saying that they don't look at them! If you are thinking of ordering a large item, as we did, think do you have room to store it.
paulas36
August 23rd, 2015
Hmmmm where to start?! See what you want, do the search for your closest store ( and surrounding 50 mile radius) guess what folks... "Out of stock"! Grrrr seriously frustrating accept on the 2 occasions I selected an item that was in stock I had to return them due to shoddy workmanship (corner smashed on a coffee table because it was pine and had a wood knot close to the edge) and just failing to work (novelty light for daughter) I have given a 2 star review only because when I returned the items the staff in store were friendly and helpful.
Hense i have ceased to even click the Argos link while shopping
clairet74
March 22nd, 2020
If you take your item out of the packet to look at they term it as used and won't refund it. This has now happened to me twice.
The staff are very aggressive.
A poor lady tried to exchange her phone because she couldn't hear it, she was told it was used and they wouldn't even exchange.
Won't use them again.
munroa2
December 21st, 2019
If you have last minute presents to buy, avoid Argos at all costs. I ordered four presents in Novemeber, and despite several promises, including specific delivery dates, when my parents waited in for nothing.
My nephews now have nothing to open on Christmas morning, and I am sat in another country, in floods of tears, because i believed Argos' lies, and did not arrange to have something else delivered.
I will be taking legal action, and will be leaving regular reviews on social media and internet sites, to highlight the issue.
Argos, you have completely ruined Christmas for my family.
aishh
November 16th, 2020
They didnt replace my damaged item though I bought 3 year replacement card by paying extra. And they are holding me on call for the ages and disconnecting the call after 1 - 2 hrs when I make the complaint. They are playing tricks with the customers. They robbing money from the customers
alexh444
September 30th, 2020
I bought a dishwasher and installation from Argos earlier this year for £299. When it arrived the dishwasher was dented on the side. I agreed to keep it, as this wouldn't be seen. Two months later it stopped working. I contacted Argos and they booked in an appointment with their preferred repair company.
The engineer on his first visit was rude and advised he needed a new part. A new appointment was booked for the following week. On the night before (and the morning of) the visit we received two texts confirming his visit. He didn't arrive. On contacting the company wondering when he would come, they advised he didn't have the part and so wasn't actually coming. They hadn't bothered to tell us this and so wasted our time instead.
An appointment was then booked for the following week again. I raised a complaint but never heard back from their manager despite repeated chases - they clearly didn't give a damn. I followed up a day before the third visit was due. I was advised that they wouldn't be coming as the part still wasn't in stock (a third wasted annual leave day.). If I hadn't called then we would have been waiting in for them again to be stood up, where they hadn't bothered to notify us. They confirmed they would advise Argos of these problems and recommend that Argos replace the faulty machine.
I called Argos - the initial call handler was unhelpful. She said they don't have any replacements in stock and would not be issuing a good will gesture for the three full days of annual leave this issue has wasted.
She transferred me to someone in their complaints team. He offered a £30 credit towards a replacement dishwasher. I accepted and asked which replacement they would then send. On calling me back he advised that the nearest one would require me paying an additional c. £70 on top of the credit(!) Clearly this is outrageous.

They should not be making more money out of customers because their products being faulty.

I declined this and asked for a refund, (which would require a 5th day of annual leave), together with compensation for the 5 wasted days. He advised that he would provide a £30 credit note towards a next purchase. I advised this was, frankly insulting given that five days will have been wasted, together with around 7 hours on the phone to Argos and their repair company combined (and counting).

He advised I could make an application to their Head Office for "loss of earnings", but that they would require a letter from my accountant disclosing my annual salary, dividends and other income - so they can decide if they will reimburse me for the days they wasted.

Who the hell do Argos think they are, demanding detailed personal financial information such as this? They are a shop who have failed to provide a working produce that I have paid for - they are not HMRC!

On top of that, a letter from my accountant will cost me at least £150+VAT, as accountants don't work for free. The call handler advised that Argos wouldn't reimburse me for any fees I would have pay in order to get the letter they were requesting.

So in summary:

1) Argos has wasted 5 days of time by supplying a faulty product and instructing a repair company who were not fit for the intended purpose.

2) They have wasted an additional 7 hours (and counting) of my time in admin trying to sort this out.

3) And they now have the audacity to demand that I pay extra money for an accountants letter, and disclose to them my intimate financial details - all without any guarantee they will reimburse me for any of it. This is adding insult upon insult to injury. I should not have to do this, and pay money, effectively, in order to complain about already poor service.

I have been told that a 'Resolutions Leader' will contact me, but that she will only repeat the above.

The situation is therefore still ongoing. Argos, do you consider the above to be either acceptable, or reasonable service to your customers? I look forward to someone contacting me and resolving this reasonably and sensibly.
donnam1428
August 16th, 2020
Disgusting and incompetent
ZERO STARS INCOMPETENT BILSTON ARGOS. Awful time at argos today(15/08/20), went to collect 6 items all paid for online using FT, once receiving my items i left the store and stood outside for 5-10 minutes sorting my shopping out, then the staff member who served me and dealt with my order ran outside snatched the item out of my shopping trolley told me i can't just take things mumbled something to her colleague and went back in store, then her colleague asked why i was standing outside the store and i said waiting for my item that she has just snatched. It turns out the staff member (small, young blonde hair) gave me another customers item and I get accused of stealing. I had ordered a curtain rail and the other customer had ordered a curtain rail. After going back in store in turns out they are 2 very incompetent women who couldn't find my curtain rail. Absolutely disgusting, what a coward she can't admit her screw up so accuses customers of theft, and to top it all off the customer accused me of stealing her item. Avoid Bilston argos like it was riddled with covid 19. The staff there are incompetent. We should be able to give zero stars when it deserves zero stars
annem800
September 25th, 2020
ABYSMAL CUSTOMER SERVICE! My daughter ordered a desk from Argos. When it was delivered, only one of three parts arrived. As the other two parts could not be found, the part was uplifted and she was refunded. We ordered another one on her behalf online on Thursday 17th September and we're due to collect it on Wednesday 23rd September from Dunfermline. Dunfermline called on Saturday 19th September to say that the desk we had on order was not complete but a new one could be sourced for pick up today Friday 25th September from 9am. I received no text to say the desk was ready for collection today so I called. My order had been cancelled but I had received no notification of this. The gentleman said that this was probably because there was no contact details attached to the order! How had Dunfermline managed to call me then? The first order which they cancelled was also made through my Argos account! The desk meantime is only in stock somewhere over 400 miles from our location (I believe that to be Canterbury) and from the information gleaned from the gentleman I spoke to, the desk is not due back in stock until 15th January. We're there/are there actually any COMPLETE desks available? Well there might have been at some point as my other daughter has one in Gloucester. Could that be the only one in the whole of the UK?!?
skyeh14
October 16th, 2020
I love my new washing machine. From argos... I was upset tho way it was treated new... Got dent in the washing machine after somepoint the guys from dhl home delivery taking all the rapping off my washing machine and bringing it my place the dent appeared I only notice it after 20mins they gone... I was upset over... Second bits if water split on my stairs with out doing up the pipe properly lead little drops of water on my stairs for me to slip abd really hurt my self I got sore elbows and very sore bum cheek from being swallen after my nasty slip on the stairs falling down to the bottom hurting my self bad near to tears but I took the pain just... Yet lady adviser rachel was rude not even sympathetic at all as a customer services advisor all she was doing buffing me off ten pound discount really I wanted alot more but I only got lucky get 25pounds discount... She wasn't listening to me at all how very rude she was... That how bad my swelling is on my side of my butt cheeck last pic... What ever you do check your stairs before u walk down them if you had old washing machine removed by argos or u suffer same fate I did... last pic shows I had Swollen butt to after my fall and a dent in my new washing machine after they put it in my kitchen and left when I notice the dent...
db586
October 12th, 2019
Sat morning Honiton two staff working! Sainsbury's cost cutting I guess. No wonder we are all drifting to online shopping
pravinp6
November 26th, 2018
Wont take tablet back which all other retailer do take back. Telephonic customer care said its on store desecration to decide if they take it back. Asked me to try different Argos stores.
Should have ordered on amazon who provide free return.
Consumer rights are not respected at Argos..
carolinew77
October 27th, 2018
Argos were due to deliver us a bed today but called this morning to say the order could not be honored. We have just moved house, all our furniture is in storage so we will have to sleep on the floor. They have offered us a lilo as compensation. Pathetic.
lyndsayw77
May 15th, 2020
johnh1249
October 23rd, 2018
I asked Sarah Little to delete all my details, she refused! Is this Not Identity Theft? I have had many things from Argos, Cooker lasted just over 12 months [waist of time] one of the rings gave up the ghost after a very short time. Now it seems to take for ever for the rest of the rings to heat up. If you buy any jewellery, It may be a very good idea to look at it first. I have bought many things for the wives birthdays & so on only to see her disappointed face when she opens the box. Clasps very week, items very small [in the catalog they look great. Most worrying is Argos as all your most personal details your address, your date of birth & so on. All this information can be sold on to create credit fraud. The Fraud in this country is getting worse by the Day, be careful you are not one of them. They refused to take my D. O. B. From my details, is this not Identity Theft?

No way, I have had my fingers burnt with Argos I do not trust them

By John H.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Argos staff and other customers.

Get what you want today with Fast Track same day delivery only £3.95,7 days a week or faster in-store collection for free

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Argos?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

2.6
Have a question about Argos?