Argos

Argos has a consumer rating of 3.24 stars from 41 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Argos also ranks 49th among Electronics sites. The most common issues with Argos are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Trying to contact customer service and find someone prepared to take ownership of the problem.
How would you rate Argos?

“Reliable and trustworthy”

Lyndsay W.
5/15/20

Always a pleasure to purchase from argos my.order always comes with a delivery slot, clear.communication and items always of great quality.

“Awful Customer Service”

Vimal C.
1/29/20

Awful experience with Argos - terrible customer service from the telephone CS team Reserved an item from a store 20 miles away (item wasn't available anywhere else) Spent over 2 hours & fuel to collect item. Back home, tested item was faulty (potentially a returned item) and should not have been resold. Told Argos they should at least compensate me for the wasted journey, or offer to send a working replacement. They refused and said it "was a personal choice to collect item". It wasn't a personal choice to be sold a defective item! A rude manager by the name of Rebecca refused to show any empathy and consideration for my awful experience. Was told I could hand write a complaint to the Head Office of which I would not receive any correspondence. Very bizarre as there would be no proof that my complaint will ever be dealt with. Argos has a poor dispute service and wont take responsibility for reselling returned & defective items. They hide behind a poor customer service policy which does not take into consideration the effort a consumer goes through to collect an item. They are also unwilling to take complaints via email and wont offer to post out a replacement. Other online sellers are far more receptive and the distance selling regulations in the UK are far better than when physically purchasing from a store. It makes you wonder why the high street is failing us. Argos simply hides behind a dated, inflexible and rigid Customer Service Policy which seems to make the managers think they can be rude to paying customers. Poor form Argos!!

customer service (7)
vimalc1
January 29th, 2020

Spent over 2 hours & fuel to collect item.

Poor form Argos!!
alanh349
April 20th, 2020
It seems that Argos have stopped collections for return items. They expect us to store items indefinitely until the end of the Covo crisis. It was only when I went onto the Argos site that I only then found out about the storage issue; they don't tell you about this when you order. We ordered a Spear & Jackson S2434CR lawn mower which had a defect in manufacture but this is a bulky item to store. They seem to be determined to stop anyone contacting them about this. Telephoning is impossible and they send an automatic reply to emails saying that they don't look at them! If you are thinking of ordering a large item, as we did, think do you have room to store it.
clairet74
March 22nd, 2020
If you take your item out of the packet to look at they term it as used and won't refund it. This has now happened to me twice.
The staff are very aggressive .
A poor lady tried to exchange her phone because she couldn't hear it, she was told it was used and they wouldn't even exchange.
Won't use them again.
munroa2
December 21st, 2019
If you have last minute presents to buy, avoid Argos at all costs. I ordered four presents in Novemeber, and despite several promises, including specific delivery dates, when my parents waited in for nothing.
My nephews now have nothing to open on Christmas morning, and I am sat in another country, in floods of tears, because i believed Argos' lies, and did not arrange to have something else delivered.
I will be taking legal action, and will be leaving regular reviews on social media and internet sites, to highlight the issue.
Argos, you have completely ruined Christmas for my family.
paulinej12
May 21st, 2016
I ordered a t shirt online and paid for it then went to collect it. I was only in the sunderland high street store five minutes at the most the service was friendly, professional and very speedy well done

Tip for consumers: if you pay online they have the goods ready for you at the counter

db586
October 12th, 2019
Sat morning Honiton two staff working! Sainsbury's cost cutting I guess. No wonder we are all drifting to online shopping
pravinp6
November 26th, 2018
wont take tablet back which all other retailer do take back. telephonic customer care said its on store desecration to decide if they take it back. asked me to try different Argos stores.
should have ordered on amazon who provide free return.
consumer rights are not respected at Argos..
lyndsayw77
May 15th, 2020
alisonc16
August 23rd, 2015
In my opinion you judge a company by how it deals with things when they inevitably go wrong. Any half decent company has the majority of its transactions flow smoothly.

I have bought from Argos on many occasions previously and had no problems whatsoever.

My latest attempted purchase of a lawn mower was a very different process. Having taken my money I still hadn't received my purchase two weeks later. Trying to contact customer service and find someone prepared to take ownership of the problem. In the end I contacted my credit card company. My money was refunded.
carolinew77
October 27th, 2018
Argos were due to deliver us a bed today but called this morning to say the order could not be honored. We have just moved house, all our furniture is in storage so we will have to sleep on the floor. They have offered us a lilo as compensation. Pathetic.
paulas36
August 23rd, 2015
Hmmmm where to start ?! See what you want , do the search for your closest store ( and surrounding 50 mile radius) guess what folks ..... "Out of stock" !!! Grrrr seriously frustrating accept on the 2 occasions I selected an item that was in stock I had to return them due to shoddy workmanship (corner smashed on a coffee table because it was pine and had a wood knot close to the edge) and just failing to work (novelty light for daughter) I have given a 2 star review only because when I returned the items the staff in store were friendly and helpful .
Hense i have ceased to even click the Argos link while shopping
ismal
February 25th, 2020
Always helpful and you get your purchase within minutes, you can pre-order and pay in store or pay on-line and click and collect
joel450
June 18th, 2014
Nice selection of items, but the delivery options are poor.
Not many people can wait all day or even half a day.
kristyr7
February 3rd, 2018
Over Christmas I needed a new dining table looked around on the net and could not find something which was exactly what I needed thought I would check Argos but didn't really have any Great Expectations got a fabulous table and even though it was very busy in the store the assistants who seemed new were very accommodating and took time to help me and carry my table to my car I was very impressed
johnh1249
October 23rd, 2018
I asked Sarah Little to delete all my details, she refused!!! Is this Not Identity Theft ? I have had many things from Argos, Cooker lasted just over 12 months [waist of time] one of the rings gave up the ghost after a very short time. Now it seems to take for ever for the rest of the rings to heat up. If you buy any jewellery, It may be a very good idea to look at it first. I have bought many things for the wives birthdays & so on only to see her disappointed face when she opens the box. Clasps very week, items very small [in the catalog they look great. Most worrying is Argos as all your most personal details your address, your date of birth & so on. All this information can be sold on to create credit fraud. The Fraud in this country is getting worse by the Day, be careful you are not one of them. They refused to take my D.O.B. from my details, is this not Identity Theft?
philipk26
January 22nd, 2015
I have 3 children (12,11,8). I started looking at end September but was told by Argos staff - no problem goods would be available for Christmas!! We never learn! Start of December - will be available shortly. 3 weeks before Christmas only available in stores that you have to travel long distances too, or not available in either type of store in N Ireland. Fed up, as if i had not spent another 5 days searching (as if i had the free time) i would not have been able to make a happy Holiday. How come an American company like Heelys can supply - no problem.
Sometimes good value but if you want to keep customers why would someone like me not just take the chance on-line, especially as Amazon seems so reliable. Now the rest of the year, Argos does deliver well, so how many years and bad customer reviews does it take for you to anticipate and tell your suppliers to man up (Supermarkets can and so can you) There is nothing like watching your children search for hours and pick their 3 favorites from your cataloges (thank you) only to find - not available. So come on, it's not like you haven't been doing it for long enough. Why is your management strategy so bad or have you decided you provide just enough and go enjoy your Christmas party. Sorry this review is not better, as i think Argos does supply a good service ordinarily. However, guess what, Christmas/Holiday, does happen every year and how long will it take for you to plan properly for it?
panark
March 15th, 2016
In the beginning of December I ordered some gifts. Later during the month, I recieved e-mail that there was a try the purchased items to be delivered and there was noone at home. Which is lie- all day there was a person, the doorbell (working) did not ring all day, there was no notification for delivery on e-mail, there was no notification put on the door for try for delivery. After another day and hour range for delivery was set, nothing happened. A second call was made. From Argos they informed me that the item i out of stock from November. How they accept payment for item which is out of stock? How they try to deliver something that do not exist in their warehouse?
Later I got my money for the item back. But I did not get my money for the delivery back. A delivery that was not made, that does not exist as there is not good to be delivered.
A third call had to be made for getting my money for delivery back. It took me a month to play on "give-my-money-back" game.
samw87
September 24th, 2015
Like everyone else I buy electricals and toys every now and again. I feel I can always rely on Argos.
marian860
June 12th, 2017
Ordering on Argos is so easy. I chose my products online, compare prices, make my final choice and reserve them for collection in store. Then in store I type the reservation number on the automated machine, pay with my debit card, the machine gives me a ticket. And 3 minutes later I am called to the dispatch desk to collect my goods. Is there an easiest purchase method than this one?!!! Super great, super easy, super simple. I love it!!!!
terenceo4
November 21st, 2017
Ordered two phones on line cost £500 now then here was the problem one to pick up from the store fast track no waiting ! Yet a 20 Minutes wait as the phone was still in one of the delivery dates waiting to be delivered Next one was 2Day delivery which in turn ended up 3days and I had to go to the delivery depo to pick the phone up otherwise it would of meant another 2day wait so much for quick delivery I did complain did I get anywhere No
agnieszkar1
April 10th, 2017
The staff often makes wrongly decisions, they are rude for customers. They don't intend to refund even if you do buying at the same day.
keythr
April 19th, 2011
Argos - UK's Largest Catalogue Merchant

Argos is the largest general goods retailer in the UK it has over 750 stores around the country. It sells goods as a catalogue merchant if you go to the store you enter a catalogue number on a slip of paper, check it's available, then wait for the item to be brought to you from the warehouse.

They also have a pretty good online store where you can buy and have stuff delivered to your home (usually extra charge) or just order for pick up at your nearest store. They have customer reviews online and they keep both positive and negative comments so you get a fair idea of what you are buying.
Argos has been in the UK since 1973 and is one of the main discount retailers. It sell branded goods, own brand goods from cheap and cheerful to mid range / good quality. Their twice a year telephone directory sized catalogues must use up half of Scandinavia's forest land to produce.

I use the website to check prices against other suppliers. Sometimes it is surprisingly competitive, and if you know what you are after it is often the best place to go.

In the last year I've bought a camera, a barbecue and some self assembly furniture from them. Very efficient, good prices and I am quite happy.

I'm not sure I'd buy their cheaper own brand electronics stuff but then 'ye pays yer money and takes yer chance' If you want a fancy radio for half the price of another main brand it might not be as good. Caveat emptor let the buyer beware.

www.Argos.co.uk

Generally good.
wendym128
November 26th, 2017
I bought a Babyliss Curler/straightener that they are currently advertising on the TV which costs £129.99. I opened it and tried it and it is useless. It does not curl my hair at all. I contacted Argos about it and they have basically said oh well too bad you have opened it so your stuck with it. I think in this day and age this is disgusting. I am now stuck with a £129.99 product that is of absolutely no use to me. I have been a customer of Argos for over 30 years but will never buy from them again. I also think its terrible that below standard products can be sold and you have no rights. How else am i supposed to know it would be rubbish other than opening it and trying it. I suggest anyone thinking of buying anything from there to think again as they are fine when you keep the product but not when you try to return it.

Wendy Mason
jennyw69
August 5th, 2017
Ordered from argos delivery van reversed up the street at 7 am with hazards blaring waking up the whole st. We were waiting outside he looked straight at us & drove off!
without delivering
jackier126
August 19th, 2018
I would not give them and stars if I didn't have to
Argos customer service is a joke the are ignorant and arrogant and tell lies
I asked for an online order to be cancelled only to be told by the time they do called read my email that it was ready to be dispatched do wouldn't cancel it even though I emailed them with 5 mins of placing the order as couldn't get through on the customer service line as was in the evening
I asked them to stop the dispatch to be told no I had to refuse the delivery when it came but with previous experience with couriers they just leave the item anyway and as I'm not going to be home and I live next to a public footpath items are not secure
I then got a message to say the item had already been dispatched before they read my email so basically sonebody was telling lies.
anyway after lots of emails to them and getting the same answer they can't stop a delivery even if it hasn't been dispatched I am making people aware of their very poor customer service
Obviously another big company that only see ££££ signs

No way, I have had my fingers burnt with Argos I do not trust them

By John H.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Argos staff and other customers.

Get what you want today with Fast Track same day delivery only £3.95, 7 days a week or faster in-store collection for free

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Argos?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

3.2
Have a question about Argos?