Review of A Place for Mom

Tel: 866-344-1951
content@aplaceformom.com

marshad80
5/12/19

I thought they were going to be helpful at first until they found out I was not a rich senior then they couldn't care less
Very disappointing

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, Americans are in a crisis when it comes to senior care. Senior living is expensive and it’s usually one of the most difficult decisions a family has to make. To help educate families on the costs associated with care, we created the Senior Care Price Index (http://www.aplaceformom.com/senior-living-price-index), which is a great resource to learn more about the costs associated with senior living. Federal law prevents us from referring families directly to senior housing communities if the family desires to use public funds like Medicaid for housing costs. We have compiled tools to assist families with conducting their own independent search for their public funding needs and there are government resources available to help with the search for options. A few are listed here: Administration on Aging (www.aoa.gov), Eldercare.gov (www.eldercare.gov), U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (www.hud.gov/), The National Council on Aging (www.ncoa.org), Department of Veterans Affairs (www.va.gov) and Disability.gov (www.disabilityinfo.gov).
saraf100
5/10/19

My family received amazing help finding the right assisted living community for our father. Our representative was extremely knowledgeable and kind. Unfortunately, he passed away before he could move in the place we chose with this agency's help, but we know he would have enjoyed living there! Thank you!

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for sharing and we are so sorry to hear about your loss!
jog69
4/22/19

My experience began a few years ago. Short and to the point Out of the 6-10 places that were recommended to me there was only maybe two worth seeing. I'm only writing a review because Ms. Dinah Pearce in the MDW area was my POC. She called me often to see if I'd found a place for my sister. Thought the calls were out of concern until recently I did some research and found out if you place your loved one in a facility they recommend they will receive a big payoff! This wouldn't upset me so much if they did some research and view the places before recommending them. You can do a lot better doing your own research in finding an appropriate place for your loved one! Such a heart breaking decision to place your family member.............please BEWARE!

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for your feedback. We understand that this is one of the most difficult decisions families will ever have to make and we share a common vision with our families that we all want what’s best for seniors. We have a network of more than 18,500 partners that span a wide range of care types and price points. Because we are paid by our participating providers/communities, we are able to offer families a completely cost-free service. In addition, A Place for Mom prohibits any participating community/provider from passing through our fees to the consumer, charging additional amounts because the consumer used the services of A Place for Mom, or withholding discounts from the consumer.
rudys39
4/22/19

My experience was nothing short of outstanding. My contact exceeded every expectation, followed up on every call or event, went out of her way to filter based on our needs facilities in our target area. This took a process and life event that we were not prepared to handle and walked us though in the most professional and caring manner anyone could imagine. I feel very fortunate to have had the experience of such caring and supportive organization.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you so much for sharing! We appreciate it.
julies590
4/17/19

Finding a place that is understanding and compassionate about caring for a Dementia patient is almost impossible. The system is beyond broken. I finally reached out to a place for mom when all other services and nursing homes just didn't get it. I was tired of apologizing for my fathers behaviour. HE HAS A DISEASE. Places advertise and communicate one thing but then their actions display a complete lack of understanding. Within one day of contacting a place for mom I was visiting appropriate places for my father where he could be himself and receive the care he needed. I found that at Arden Court in Harrisburg thanks to this service.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
We are happy to hear this and so glad we could help your family out!
ellenc116
4/11/19

I very much appreciated the help they provided during a very difficult time. With a little bit of assistance from them I was able to find a new home for my mom. They worked with me knowing what we were looking for and what we could do financially.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for sharing!
isabelz
4/10/19

A Place for Mom has been a wonderful resource and support for my family. I found there staff to be professional, knowledgeable and caring about finding possible placements for my mother.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you!
josepht261
4/10/19

Utilizing a place for mom made finding a place for mom a lot easier.
Through their process, they help whittle down my choices to the most relevant facilities.
And the app put them all in one place.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you!
judithr169
4/10/19

I called A Place for Mom early in the process if finding a place for our mother we delayed many months before getting serious about the matter. Your Christina never gave up on me, and she was the BEST! Thank you for your service!

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for sharing. We will be sure to pass this along to Christina!
sandrac302
4/10/19

Very helpful in my search and answered all my questions. I talked to Sara and she was very knowledgeable and helpful concerning what could happen in certain situations.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for sharing!
sd332
4/10/19

This is my 3rd time using them and they get better and better each time. I was able to find the perfect place for my father and recommend them to anyone who is looking for a place for their mom or dad.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
We appreciate this and we are so happy that we could help you and your family out!
michaels2175
4/10/19

I began the process by trying to contact facilities on my own, including A Place For Mom. I didn't realize the full service one call could offer through APFM. Liz made this much easier and even helped to get a call back for me to one place I had already contacted

If you know nothing about this process and know nothing about affordability options and how long term care is within reach, call APFM.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for sharing! We are so happy to hear Liz made the process easier for you and your family.
karent462
4/10/19

It's a good service for the most part, but I had a bad experiance. My sister-in-law has lived in a senior community for nearly 10 years. I had spent a lot of time there. If somebody who lives there gets someone to sign up , they are compensated. We made our own appointment and signed up for a apartment in the same complex as my sister-in-law. Because this place was one of the ones that was listed, A place for mom took the compensation, and my sister -in-law did not get it. We are at RidgePoint in Minnetonka.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
We are sorry to hear about your experience. Because we are paid by our participating providers/communities, we are able to offer families a completely cost-free service. In addition, A Place for Mom prohibits any participating community/provider from passing through our fees to the consumer, charging additional amounts because the consumer used the services of APFM, or withholding discounts from the consumer. Please reach out to privacy@aplaceformom.com if you have additional questions.
kathryns179
4/10/19

Melissa was very easy to talk to, a great listener, and she helped me narrow down possible Assisted Living places for my mother. She was able to advise on approximate costs and what she knew about each place. She followed up to see how the search was going. When I told her that we were holding off for a while, she respected that decision and stopped calling. We picked right back up a year later and she helped me complete the process.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for sharing! We will be sure to pass along your review to Melissa.
teril43
4/10/19

We were forced to find a home for my mother-in-law who had been hospitalized. A Place For Mom assisted us with such patience. We had never dealt with dementia or being responsible for an elder and had no idea where to start. The representative was very helpful, she gave us lots of options close buy and checked on us to be sure we were doing okay. We couldn't be more thankful for their assistance finding the perfect home for our mom!

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
We are so happy to hear this! Thank you for sharing.
heatherc256
4/10/19

Jennifer was very helpful, thorough, and friendly. I enjoyed working with her. Jennifer followed up with me. She gave me just a few places at a time to check out, then we'd talk again about my thoughts. I'd i needed more choices, she'd send them. When I had selected my favorite place for my father in law, we visited again and she coordinated with the place for me. It was a great experience!!

peterb514
4/9/19

Called three times to aid my search in finding a memory care home for dad. No help at all in narrowing my search from a long list of memory care homes. All I received were Internet links to the area agency on aging, Medicaid info and how to finance dad's stay. That was not my priority as I have an elder law attorney to advise me on that. I prefer to narrow down my search and discuss financing with the business one-on-one. The aplaceformom.com website lists a number of memory care homes for my area but the pricing is locked. The prices would not unlock despite entering my personal info as requested. When I called the provided number for a local advisor to help me unlock the prices, I was told the prices were private and to call the homes directly. Strike three, I'm out. Thanks for nothing.

low3
4/9/19

No Stars for A Place for Mom!!
2 years ago I called to inquire how A Place for Mom operated and was given a couple of suggestions of retirement homes in the area. None were visited. I did call Brookdale Springs Mesa and ask a couple of questions, no tour, that was it.

Two years later, my accountant Rena, told me that her father recently moved to Brookdale Springs Mesa and enjoyed it. Rena told me all about the place and suggested that when my mom was ready, I should take her there. Shortly after tha,t my mother decided to check things out so I took her to tour 4 different places, one being Brookdale Springs Mesa. She liked it and decided to move there. When signing mom up, we mentioned that Rena's dad should get the referral. Jamie at Brookdale said, "Sorry, looks like you talked to A Place for Mom in 2017, they get the referral".
It seems to me that when ever anyone who calls A Place for Mom to inquire about their services, their name gets put out to every retirement home in the area, so if, by chance, that person signs up with any of the retirement homes in the area, A Place for Mom receives the referral commission.
I find this disappointing and a bit crooked. Is there a statue of limitation for their "claim" to the referral? Two years is quite long to lay claim to a referral. Especially in this case where we did not receive any help from A Place For Mom.

terrys373
4/4/19

After my sister and mom visited me near the end of December, I wanted to help some way because my sister was so overwhelmed. We knew we had to find some place for mom because she was very unhappy staying with my sister and she couldn't be alone. Mom is very social. I called A Place for Mom and within hours I had a couple of places calling. My sister took Mom to check out one and even though it seemed she didn't want to do it, she did. She loves it although she wants her cat and stuff but she is adjusting. It came right at the right time. Thank you so much. She is safe and they love her. She may not love us right now but we are okay with that.

lauraf219
3/27/19

A Place for Mom was very helpful narrowing my search when I was looking for assisted living for my mother. They took my requirements and then I had a list to work from to find the right choice. They would follow up and make sure I had what I needed. Thanks for helping. Laura F

carlf87
3/27/19

First of all, they ask you for your contact info, including your location and phone #, and as soon as you hit submit, a message pops up on the screen telling you that they're calling you. Secondly, after asking for my location, they failed to show at least three highly rated Erickson communities that are 25 min, 40 min, and 1 hour from my town. Instead they gave me listings for communities that were much farther away.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Your local Senior Living Advisor will ask questions to get an understanding of your personal situation and will then identify and provide a list of the providers and/or communities from our network that meet your care needs and budget. We encourage you to connect with your local Advisor as they can provide you with additional providers and/or communities in our network that fit your needs.
lisal615
3/25/19

Called them SEVERAL times trying to find a place for my grandmother. They NEVER returned any of my calls. I talked to a person once, my first call, and was never called back after giving them some minimal initial information. Of course, the initial questions were about $. Guess after they found out my grandmother was on a budget, they didn't care to "assist" in my search. Would never recommend A Place for Mom to anyone. Useless!

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Unfortunately, Americans are in a crisis when it comes to senior care. Senior living is expensive and it’s usually one of the most difficult decisions a family has to make. To help educate families on the costs associated with care, we created the Senior Care Price Index (http://www.aplaceformom.com/senior-living-price-index), which is a great resource to learn more about the costs associated with senior living. In addition, federal law prevents us from referring families directly to senior housing communities if the family desires to use public funds like Medicaid for housing costs. We have compiled tools to assist families with conducting their own independent search for their public funding needs. There are government resources available to help with the search for options: Administration on Aging, Eldercare.gov, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, The National Council on Aging, Department of Veterans Affairs and Disability.gov. We hope this helps and thank you again for your feedback.
lisam976
3/18/19

I was simply looking around online for options for living for my father and me. My father is 86 years old and unable to drive. I'm looking for a 55 and over Community where we can both live, and he might be able to have some kind of social life, while he still can. I'm 54 but will be 55 in October. I got a phone call out of the blue from A Place for Mom. I'm sure that they connect people to the right place. But I was very turned off because the first thing they grilled me about was how much we could afford. In other words if you make more money, then you get a better place, eventually get better care. We live in a country that doesn't care for its people. My father is from Sweden. Over there you don't have to worry about how you're going to be taken care of, when you get to be his age. We really need to get it together in this country. In A Place for Mom, you need to be a little bit more sensitive about how you make people feel when you grill them about their financial capabilities.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
We are sorry to hear about your experience and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We share a common vision with our customers: we all want what’s best for seniors and we aim to provide families with the knowledge and confidence to allow them to move forward with good choices for aging family members. Asking for financial information is a key part of understanding a senior’s situation and needs, and helps us identify a list of viable options. In addition, A Place for Mom is paid by our participating providers and communities, which enables us to offer families a cost-free service with no hidden fees. Thank you again for your feedback.
saraht262
3/12/19

My advisor took the time to listen to my situation and offer options for my father. I cannot thank her enough! We are so happy with her recommendation

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Thank you for sharing!
deenag12
3/10/19

My husband and I suddenly needed a place for my MIL and we had very specific things we were needing for her to make this transition as smoothly as possible. APFM listened to our needs and quickly provided us with several properties to check out. Within the first week we found what we were looking for and my MIL is happy and comfortable in her new home.

Response from APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative
Great to hear! Thank you for sharing.

Look at how often they have to apologize. A Place For Mom is loaded with predatory Scumbags! Do not use them unless you are loaded with cash!

By David S.

Don't even think about calling them. The Senior Adviosr is a commissed sales rep who gets paid by the communities. They work for them not you. The "other recommendations" These are the member communities that have agreed to pay a kick back to a place for mom. The will lean hard on you to place her in their place if your choice doesn't pay the kickback

By Roger H.

I highly recommend staying far from Referral Commission based placement agencies! Read the reviews above. Search for the Level of Care you are seeking on google or yelp such as http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=assisted+living&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA

By Steve A.

Hi - We are happy to help! Please call 866-344-1951 and we will get you in touch with a local Senior Living Advisor. Thank you!

By APFM C., A Place for Mom Representative

In the Greater Louisville (Kentuckianna) metro area there are several I can recommend you consider based on our tour of recommended facilities in Southern Indiana. As residents of Southern Indiana, just across the river from Louisville, we chose Silvercrest in New Albany Indiana. They offer independent living in freestanding apartments as well as assisted living and also more complete care for those needing it. We also really liked Traditions at Hunters' Station in Sellersburg which has identical options, and Bennett House in Clarksville, which offers assisted living and additional services but does not have independent living. Some of these do have limited Medicaid beds in their nursing facilities.

By Peter F.

Hi Barbara, I think it would be best if you give us a call so we can connect you to one of our local Senior Living Advisors. They will learn more about what you’re looking for and make recommendations based on your needs. You can reach us here: 877-311-3040

By APlaceForMom C., A Place for Mom Representative

Hi Shenita, Our partner team will be able to answer that for you. Please email us at: Partners@aplaceformom.com

By APlaceForMom C., A Place for Mom Representative

Questions? Get answers from the A Place for Mom staff and other customers.

24 Photos for A Place for Mom