Review of Acorn TV

support@acorn.tv

11 reviews with 3 stars

ling66
4/30/18

I see that they finally marked the episodes watched but why couldn't they do that before releasing the new version. I still prefer the previous version, it was so much easier to deal with. Still a big problem with the closed caption. When i stop watching in the middle of an episode and then go back to it, 9 times out of 10 the CC is way off.
This company has to be the most unprofessional of the streaming channels.
Agree re bad customer service.

deborahp81
4/16/18

This new version of the app won't let me cast to the TV anymore. Been waiting for two days to hear from the help desk. Tried reinstalling, no joy. It would be a good idea to have help staff available when rolling out a major app update.

So, three stars for the catalog and minus two for failure to beta test app updates

johns2498
11/11/17

One will find that streaming Acorn TV with Amazon Fire TV is impossible, not so with other devices. I do not know who is responsible for the app (Amazon vs Acorn), but if you plan on streaming Acorn with Amazon Fire TV save your money. Also, those whom wish to contact Acorn customer service may do so at 888-870-8047.

arleneh6
2/13/17

No one likes the weekly release of shows! We like to binge watch but it takes 1/2 a year to watch the best series! WE HATE IT!

jamesh402
2/10/17

More programs I can not watch than can. Particularly the most pushed by acorn.
Love the programmes I can watch. Any calls to customer service where unhelpful

carold78
1/29/17

I really like the Brit TV and movies. However, I'm amazed at what terrible service, and what a chaotic website Acorn TV offers. As for service, don't expect to ever get a response from any email you send them on the Contact Us page. In the rare instance of getting a response days or weeks later, it will have nothing to do with what you asked.
As for the website, they continually put up selections that they don't have--click on it to watch it and you get "you must have typed it in wrong, no such page." Or the other frequent one--that it's available only it's not. It's coming, only it's not.
Amazing how little they care about decent customer service!

johnr368
7/16/16

I do everything they say, specific browser, clear cache, etc. Still very unreliable. Update: They suggested Chrome. Turns out Safari was the correct browser. Works better now.

phyllisa8
7/3/16

So far, I'm still on the one month free trial. After reading about all the billing issues, I'm going to carefully monitor my credit card.

I wish they had more offerings. It's still fairly limited. On the Feature Friday section, they say there is a new movie available each week. I've checked for the last two to three weeks, and no new movies have been added that I can tell.

On the plus side, I was able to watch the final season of Doc Martin.

I like many of the programs and for the most part they stream fine. However, I have had some issues where the streaming stopped and I've had to back up and start again.

The website is really poor: they need to list more information about the shows, including the actors and the date of the production. You can add shows to your watchlist, but trying to find your watchlist is like looking for a needle in a haystack. It's not listed as a link on the home page, and seems to be buried somewhere. I found it once and now can't find it again.

So the jury is still out for me....

dennist34
6/8/16

Shows are great. Terrific. FANtastic.
BUT, the support sucks big time.
I'm having trouble watching on my Samsung Smart TV.
Sent 4 inquiries in the past 4 weeks, got 4 responses that the e-mail was received and an Acorn representative will respond to your request shortly. Not a word yet and the problem persists. They should do better.
No way to get a human on the phone.

Totally disgusted in NJ.

louisp28
4/20/16

I have made 2 complaints about programs having problems loading while viewing. Never had any response from Acorn. It is the only streaming service that I have trouble with.

anthonys114
12/29/15

I wrote this E-mail to ACORN awhile ago. Still no response: Dear ACORN:

I am not a happy customer. I placed an order via mail on November 18th for a Irish Walking Sweater that cost me $169 (including shipping). A few weeks ago, I received an E-mail informing me that the sweater was back-ordered and I would get it by Christmas. Last week I called a customer representative who told me it was in transit and I would have it by today, Tuesday, December 22.

So far, the UPS, the FED Ex and the USPS have come down my street and no sweater. I just called an ACORN customer representative again who now tells me that the sweater was back-ordered for a second time and I would not be receiving the sweater until January 15h, the earliest.

I sent an E-mail to you ab out 10 days ago inquiring about the arrival of the sweater. You have not replied. You never informed me about the 2nd back-order. Instead I am re-assured that it is in transit to be delivered by today. Have you noticed the date? Today? It is December 22 and this sweater is a Christmas gift. I certainly ordered it in a timely fashion - November 18th, and you certainly took my money in a timely fashion. I am very dissatisfied with your customer care. You have not been upfront with me nor responsive the way any retail business should be to a paying customer.

Anthony J. Sclafani

The best way to get Acorn is to subscribe through Amazon Prime, if you have that. Streaming is immeasurably better and you don't have to deal with Acorn's dishonest business practices.

By Susan B.

I don't think they want you to contact them. I've tried by phone and email and get nothing but unreturned calls. As for email, forget about getting any help there. They never answer them. The phone number I have found on their website is 888-870-8047, but I have never been able to reach an agent. I have only been able to leave messages which I don't think they listen to. Sorry I don't have something more positive to say.

By Colleen A.

I can't answer re the prime way. I had free prime for a short time and when I checked out their acorntv service I saw that in addition to the monthly payment there are certain series that charge extra for episodes. That is the main reason I don't have prime, all the extra charges. I have acorn on my roku, don't really have streaming issues with that. Sometimes the cc when going back to a paused episode. Only issue is their idiotic new format. But learned to deal. Basically, I recommend roku, not prime.

By lin g.

I was able to set up acorntv on a friend's roku.

By lin g.

A truly worthless service! Unless you have a recently made Smart Samsung TV - the app is not in the Samsung Apps!!! So, unless you want to spend $2,000 on a new Smart Samsung TV - just to get Acorn TV...forget about it!!! There really is not good way to watch British television shows. Period.

By Doug S.

This will be your experience with Acorn for at least half the time you try to use it. They will not help you in any way, or respond to you except with automated forms. Get out now before they overcharge you. This problem does not occur if you sign up for Acorn as an Amazon Prime video Add-on.

By Susan B.

There's a way to contact support through the Apple app store. If you can, and haven't already, download the app and use it to put in a support request. I think they might be more likely to respond because they don't want trouble with Apple; if they ignore Apple customers, they risk having their app pulled from the app store. It's worth a shot. If your Acorn password is fixed in one place, it should work wherever you log in from.

By Cate S.

Questions? Get answers from the Acorn TV staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Acorn TV