US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

philp19

The customer service team at travelzoo were really helpful and made things right for me. (in 20 reviews)

annc27

Reading the voucher to me, which I already had over and over- I know what it said, it said room with breakfast. (in 44 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

karisseb
2/5/16

I purchased the damson dene hotel through travel zoo for 2 nights and the pictures shown were not accurate in the slightest as when we arrived it was a run down cottage with two very rude receptionists , I explained to them that it does not look like the photos and shown them and they replied "erm well there was a lake at the back " we then asked to see the room anyway we were given the key not shown where it was at all and as walking up heard the receptionist speaking about me for not being happy with what was advertised and what I actually saw and when I opened the door it stunk of smoke and had damp walks and cigarette burns in the bath and curtain placed on the bed , it was freezing as it wasn't double glazed , it was not in the slightest what I paid for , I'm very appalled with travel zoo and the hotel on how I was treated when I arrived and how they wrongly advertised the hotel completely I wouldn't allow anyone to stay there in those conditions , they were not suitable for residents as they didn't even have a lock on the doors and when I tried to contact travel zoo there is no phone number to contact someone directly and explain which I also find appalling as iam now unable to get a refund , so I have now had to pay another 300 pound to stay elsewhere for 2 nights as we traveled from afar and the service I got was fantastic at the hotel we found driving around frantically trying to find somewhere , it had boutique rooms and had complementry wine and drinks and the staff were very friendly and welcoming unlike the damson dene , I would strongly advise not to stay at this hotel and NOT to book through travel zoo .

ml63
1/27/16

I have never found a good deal on here... when I go straight to the hotel or airline sites... they are offering the same deals! So, why give them a chance to screw up my reservations? !

austinites
1/23/16

Dont trust any deals through travel zoo. They dont stand behind their deals. I had booked an all inclusive vacation through travelzoo advertised site (fresh trips) - after waiting for months for the confirmation, I had to finally call my credit card company one week before my trip and dispute the payment. I was stuck with no hotels and had to book one at the last minute for a very high price!
You are better off buying from orbitz, expedia or priceline than through travelzoo!

roseu2
1/11/16

Bought vouchers for advertised deal at Tenaya lodge. I was aware that all weekend dates in Feb were blacked out. However, when I called the Hotel reservation desk to reserve weekend dates outside of the blackout period they reported that NO WEEKEND DATES WERE EVER available for this deal. I now must wait 48hrs to receive the email confirming the refund THEN 7-10 additional business days for the refund of my $756 dollars. The responsibility is now also on me to make sure the refund email arrives and that the refund actually happens. Will not be using this travel site again.

sarak37
12/31/15

I wish I can make this review short but the multiple errors and lack of service by TZ has made it difficult to do so. Due to a Travel Zoo technical glitch, we were booked at the wrong hotel and now we're stranded in Miami, FL. They booked us for Atlanta, GA..?! The confirmation email AND 'pre-arrival alert' email indicates the Miami hotel info. Offices were closed and we couldn't contact anyone. We are two girls who were stranded until 1am in Miami. Called Travel Zoo next morning (today 12/30) and the agent was incompetent and gave us the run around. First told us it was a glitch and they're fully responsible. Told me she will refund me completely and re book me near the original booking location and can cover $300-$600/night. She then says "We have a Hilton in Princeton for $75/night. Oh, and this will be in New Jersey." Excuse me?! New Jersey?! She then apologizes and offered me few options, I selected the hotel and she asked if I was ready to head there. After placing me on a 15 min hold (I was on phone for 45 mins at this point), she comes back on the line and asks "Did you decide on a hotel? I was taking notes about our convo." Are you kidding me?! She then searches for the hotel and now tells me that I will need to pay for the hotel and they can't guarantee that the hotel costs would be reimbursed. Now I'm waiting at a random hotel lobby looking to book a hotel, which are triple the original price. Current rates are $550 for a 1 star hotel so you have an idea about what I'm facing here.

UPDATE: (12/30) After hopping from hotel to hotel and waiting until 7pm daily for a last minute deal to arise, we found another hotel (higher than the original booking price). Haven't heard back from TZ yet.

On 12/31, a Travel Zoo agent called me and told me they'll only cover up to $100. Ridiculous. We once again didn't have anywhere to go. At this time, due to NYE, hotel prices had nearly quadrupled. We ended up booking a hotel away from the main area which cost us $400 for the night. We were so tired of running around for 3 days, our entire trip was ruined and we ended up sleeping into the new year due to exhaustion. Thank you Travel Zoo for completely ruining our entire vacation.

After going back and forth for hours and hours, Travel Zoo said they will only cover up to our original booking amount and didn't even accommodate us due to their crystal clear mistake. Again, prices had nearly quadrupled and we had to cover the extra charges, which was several hundred dollars. PLEASE do yourselves a favor and go with other established travel sites (Orbitz, Expedia, Booking) who have a 24 hr support system and are reputable. The agents at TZ are rude, incompetent and have no regard to customer service and safety.

I have shared this terrible experience with my combined 900k Instagram and FB followers.

robertog14
12/14/15

Sencillo, sin complicaciones.Very easy, no troubles.

lf25
12/9/15

We bought a voucher from Travelzoo, booked the "experience" with a provider, but then they had to cancel for health reason (instructor was sick), then it had to cancel again due to bad weather. Then we couldn't do it as my wife was pregnant, so the voucher expired. We talked to the final provider and they promptly agree to honour the voucher, HOWEVER Travelzoo refused to release the money!, despite the final provider having waved the time restriction!

Travelzoo simply refused to pass our money to the provider. They just took the money - based on the (very small print) letter of the contract - and run. Despicable.

susanl93
11/9/15

Posted a negative review of a business on Travelzoo website only to find that Travelzoo later denied my access to the Travelzoo website. Other negative reviews by others of this same business had also previously been deleted before I posted mine. Please note that review was not offensive in language but a clear description of a company's unscrupulous actions..

nancib
11/3/15

You send us a local deal watching the Blue Man Group at Luxer in Las Vegas. We purchased it but never got the deal. You sent it on todays date but you still have it listed as available. IT ISN'T. Got our hopes up and I can tell you we spread good news about your business. Not anymore after an hour dealing with NOTHING !!!

donnab70
10/4/15

The short version is that I paid 20% more by using Travel Zoo than if I had booked directly with the hotel. What is the point?

pt33
9/16/15

My wife and I stayed at this B and B Sept. 13 to 15, 2015.
The island where President F. Roosevelt spent many years during his younger days is delightful. Nearly half of the island is dedicated to the FDR International Park and the Canadian Provincial Park. There are many walking and biking trails and a non-working but renovated lighthouse which sits on a small island separated by a narrow stretch of water and during low tide offers the way to walk across to the lighthouse.
There are but three restaurants and a small grocery store plus a gift shop.
This B&B is delightful and is situated on a bluff facing west across a channel toward Lubec, ME.
There aren't many choices for accommodations and this appears to be the most desirable.
An interesting tourist attraction is the Tea with Eleanor hosted by the FDR Visitor Center. Free tickets to the event may be obtained at 10am, and only 20 are given out for each of two performances daily. Tickets may be reserved in advance for a fee $12.
Be Informed that this is an old house and floors creaked! In addition, once breakfast is done, there are no refreshments - coffee, tea or soft drinks and inspite of British influence, no High Tea at 4pm! Oh, also, this Owen's house does not provide a hairdryer, shampoo, conditioner or bath soap. Would we stay there again, I doubt!
Remember to take your passports.

anns68
9/5/15

We had originally booked for a later date but the Wicker was able to accommodate us 2 weeks earlier keeping us at the booking.com rate. It was the true Key West experience from the perfect location, our room was probably just renovated so had absolutely no complaints. The pool is located next to a restaurant that has live entertainment so you can lounge by the pool listening to the music from next door. Great continental breakfast. Parking was limited but considering the location in the heart of Duval St. it is totally understandable. Entire staff was friendly, Pat was the best and Don, the owner was always present and talking with the guests. Ernestine Hemingway, the cat, was comical and wanted to visit. We will definitely return. I usually will not give anything 5 stars but if you want the true Key West feel this is the place to be.

kimh100
8/24/15

We had the most wonderful dining experience at Shari Sushi. We went there for our 35th wedding anniversary and Diem, our waitress, approached us with Happy Anniversary and complimentary champagne. She was a very attentive, delightful, and helpful waitress that gave us wonderful service. We bought the $40 and got $80 worth of food voucher from Travelzoo. It was plenty of food for 2 people. We got 2 appetizers and 4 specialty sushi rolls, The food was delicious and the Strawberry Cone dessert was excellent. My favorite sushi was the surf and turf. We will be going back!

cj145
8/23/15

Be very careful when buying vouchers from TravelZoo Canada (Toronto). I've been burned by two restaurants going out of business, and there aren't a lot of options to choose from when they give you a credit to compensate. And you may only find something at a lesser value. They were not sympathetic about the inconvenience - they would only credit the value of the voucher, and were very slow in responding. Consider other deal sites instead!

jennih1
8/12/15

I recently purchased a deal from Travelzoo. The hotel the deal was for however decided they were not going to honor the deal. I called Travelzoo who said they would look into this and get back to me either with a resolution or issue me a refunded. I was of course assuming it would end up being a refund bt sure enough, the next day they emailed me and had the Director of Sales from the hotel contact me and honor the deal.

That is wonderful customer service! I will definitely recommend Travelzoo to friends!

colek7
8/1/15

Needed to escpate locally for one night to get business project done. TZ advertised LUXURY boutique hotel room normally priced $1019 for $189 as a "last minute" deal I booked after 9 pm for same night stay. Upon arrival, the normal rack rate was less than discounted price. Just went on again today and same room TZ advertizes discounted to $549 .. if you go to hotel site that same room is $182. Intentionally misleading. The hotel was NOT a luxury hotel and no sane person would spend $1000 to stay there.Feel completely duped and will NEVER use their site again.

connieq1
7/20/15

I bought s Travelzoo for lake blackshear resort in Georgia for a quick trip to some cooler weather.the only good part is I left the Florida heat for temps in the sixties. The resort/villas are in need of repair and a good cleaning. Unfortunately I only read trsvrlxooy reviews which were good. After arriving I logged on to ttip advisor and saw the real reviews. I didn't see any roaches bu that may be because all I smelled was mildee and bug spray. Cobwebs dust and dirt I didn't want to pick up the phone it was so dirty and everything is dated and old including the beds. We left after one night. Didn't bother asking anyone for a partial refund

mickyb2
7/15/15

I just tried to book 3 rooms in the same hotel for my wife, and my two sons. The customer service rep had no information on the hotel. Ok. I understand. Then he said, I have to give him all my information 3 times. I said how is that possible? I'm paying for all 3. He said that's just the way we do it. 25 minutes later I was only up to room #2 and I said what if you don't have a third room? He didn't have an answer.
When we got to room # 3 he said he only has 2 rooms. Now I'm at the 35 minute mark. I couldn't understand have the words he was saying because he mumbled and I had to have him repeat everything. I finally settled for a third smaller room just to get this done. Then he said I have to pay all three rooms in full now. This better work out.
Any company that has the word ZOO in the name is probably a ZOO.

shirleyb43
7/14/15

Purchased a deal for a "Cottage Resort" in the Ottawa Valley, Canada that included a two night stay with dinner. Resort was run-down, had no formal check-in so never met the owners(!) and didn't get any information as to how to order dinner. I'm not sure the criteria Travelzoo uses to accept businesses, but it is obvious that no representative of Travelzoo ever visited this place, otherwise they would not have aligned themselves with it. As a result, I would not use Travelzoo again. Perhaps it was bad luck but I wouldn't take the chance again.

Shirley Brown, Ontario, Canada

shaneh31
7/13/15

I love to look at the deals available on Travelzoo's Top 20. They inspire me to travel the world. I appreciate that there's stuff at every price point, so there are things I can dream about and also places I can manage to travel for a last minute getaway.

mikeb191
7/8/15

I'm really happy to get updates from Travelzoo.com about super discount deals on lodging deals. They cover all of area for a couple of hundred miles in any direction, and so always have an interesting mix of options, from budget to "Once in a lifetime." And there seem to always be companion deals on meals or specials features and experiences in the same area. Super easy to plan a quick weekend or midweek trip to enjoy with my wife.

terranceh5
7/8/15

If you are looking for nice package deals with decent prices, this is the place

jamesh179
7/7/15

We have used travel zoo 5 or 6 times now, and have enjoyed places we probably would have tried until we saw them on Travlezoo, We had the time and a good reason which was price, so we took advantage of there offers. We will continue to check offers. and tell people about the great deals.

deea23
7/7/15

Travelzoo offers outstanding experiences for all to enjoy. Introducing to viewer unique and interesting experiences.

philp19
7/6/15

I bought a deal form a restaurant in Chicago that went south. The customer service team at travelzoo were really helpful and made things right for me.

I would recommend them without hesitation.

Awesome!

maggieh8
6/24/15

The Copacabana is a family run business in Skala,Agistri,Greece.They have rooms with views of the beach and mountains.Their food is the absolute best,it is all homemade with the most amazing desserts,even the sauces for the desserts are home made!see them on Facebook.They are lovely people who make you feel like part of the family and people return again and again.The island is small and unspoiled and most of the restaurants and bars are linked by family.I have been many times and wish I could get there more frequently.The island is reached by ferry from Piraeus harbour,Athens.It has a nightclub but the bars and restaurants provide the evening entertainment.If you want beautiful scenery,fabulous food and the most friendly of greetings,this is for you.The beaches are beautiful,the sunsets are amazing and the food fantastic,what more could you want?

irisa5
6/17/15

I booked through travelzoo massage treatments in Aqua Spa. The discounted vouchers are all scam. The spa charged my card additional $150 on top of the treatments. This is the hidden wording of travelzoo. Be careful just go to directly. DO NOT use this third party. Total SCAM

rayh43
6/17/15

Why on earth is not possible to select destination by geographical region???? I want to go to the Canaries, I DON'T WANT to search every bl**dy town, village and beach on the Islands, that is just stupid!

cordeliaw
6/1/15

I will never revisit this third rate Spa. A total waste of money. I was woken up at 6am by loud noises that continued until I gave up and went to breakfast. My complaint was fobbed off at every stage and much later on when I finally got a response to my emails I received what I can only describe as a work of fiction from an unknown person who assumed the authority to ban me from future visits after evading the legitimate points that I raised. My companion also complained about this and a separate matter and received a similarly disgusting response. Dishonest and profiteering management . Wild horses would not get me to return even if they came saddled with cash as a sweetner.

jeanq1
5/26/15

The deal had no description saying that the hotel reservation is NonModifiable, only when I received the booking confirmation did I realize it was nonrefundable-which was fine, but who knew you can't even change the dates 1 min after you taped the wrong dates?! No where to be find on the website!! I booked a 2 night sheraton hotel deal accidentally on the wrong date and called RIGHT AWAY to cancel/change but was told it was nonrefundable and non modifiable. I didn't even want the money anymore now after a month but I still feel very wronged. when I asked to speak to the manager I was yell at and the indian accent girl was so rude it was incredible. I almost bursted into tears.

They insisted the hotel has the money and when I called the sheraton they said they do not have the money hence can't change the dates.

It was a traumatic experience. I will never use travelzoo again. honestly if I know how and has the money I would sue them. for not clearly state the facts/lie to a customer/rudeness and so much more.

fuckus
5/19/15

I tried to look at a ad for mexico on your site but the stupid pop up saying give me email...you want me to buy I will never sign up for you to destroy my inbox with your bull$#*!

Ask $#*!u about Travelzoo
walterp13
5/18/15

Why would anyone go to a site that has the word "zoo" in it. All it does is reminds me of how we (humans) are treated by the travel industry but especially the airlines. Bad enough that they treat us like animals, but why would I want to be reminded of it.
My other objection is that I've never, never, never found a bargain on "tz" (I don't even want to use the entire word). Where do they get their offers?
With so many other alternatives, how do they survive?

mw43
5/5/15

I bought three vouchers from Travelzoo in January for photobooks. I was unable to use them before they expired as the company they used had a software issue and although they agreed I could send the photos direct I have heard nothing for over 5 weeks. Travelzoo just say it's nothing to do with them!

donaldl23
5/1/15

Ordered $79 of wine and was charged sales tax on $180. They said our policy is to charge tax on the full retail value. Not a ton of money but when I tried to cancel the order they refused. Writing a letter to the secretary of state for their deceptive business practices

bobk50
4/29/15

I looked at an ad I saw online and it was required that I give my address just to see the ad. Since that day, I'm getting about 30 extra junk mails a day. From 3 a day to over 30 a day. They're prostitutes.

janeth35
4/19/15

my son and daughter in law bought my partner a voucher as a Christmas gift for a Gin and tonic afternoon tea for two at The Old Palace hotel in Lincoln near the cathedral and castle. For one reason or another we have only just been able to use this after being told by the venue that their offer had been extended. We arrived a bit earlier than we had booked, and were shown straight to our table. The waitress was very pleasant. The food was tasty, choice of flavours of teas, and choice of flavour with gin and tonic. Surroundings very plush with view through big windows of the city. An enjoyable visit. We decided we will return sometime to stay at the hotel and to be able to have a look around the area. Well done Travel Zoo on choice of hotel.

janeb50
4/8/15

I purchased a Whale watching trip in Monterey..despite the best planning 3.5 hours of driving from bay area we missed our 10 a. m. trip.. Travel Zoo would not refund the monies.. we did not utilize the trip the company got the money the RANDY's Whale Fishing got their cut of money as did Travel Zoo but all I got was a bill for $50.00 Travel Zoo would not refund. THIS COMPANY AND RANDY's FISHING IN MONTEREY SUCK DON NOT USE ZERO STARS

quincyd9
4/3/15

So they promised Cirque du Soleil Love tickets for $60. But to get them you have to 'sign up' with them. Which means they get all your information. After jumping through all the hoops and following their instructions the '$60 tickets' simply do not exist. They were really $114. Looking around at reviews on this company it would seem that the positive reviews were written by a PR company. Get it? Anyway I am now being bombed by their spam.

nickm59
3/20/15

Travelzoo looks like it was built with the same logo and branding managers as GoDaddy. Very' 80's ish and cluttered.

I pass over this site and check all of the other travel resources before coming to Travel Zoo

jessm41
3/11/15

My partner purchased a restaurant voucher as a gift to be booked for our anniversary. Having been very careful to check the terms of use and validity of the voucher to make sure the expiry date was well after our intended booking date. We have gone to book the meal only to find that the restaurant has closed down without any warning. Now I seem to be unable to get any kind of response from Travelzoo using any of the usual communication methods. Their call back service is a farce (they don't call you back), when you hold on the phone you are in an endless queue that repeats there are an unspecified number of callers in front of you, they don't reply to emails, tweets or facebook posts/private messages.
I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the situation and the service. They appear only too happy to take your money, but offer no after care whatsoever!

Tip for consumers: Just don't bother!

gwens6
2/27/15

I've used this site for years and very satisfied.

craigp24
1/13/15

This was awful. Lost $100 on Wine to Wall Street Journal Wine Travel Zoom Advertised. They won't make it right.

Tip for consumers: Do not use Travel Zoom.

susana59
1/12/15

Bought a voucher for a cruise to Bimini. The cruise was cancelled and I booked another Bimini cruise . I was suppose to receive travel documents from PRIME CARD, the organization handling the booking. Travel documents confirming the cruise, with departure time and cabin, never arrived. Travelzoo said I was confirmed after checking with PRIME CARD but nothing was ever put in writing. PRIME CARD told me to just show up. I skipped the cruise and lost 120.

jennym28
1/9/15

Wasted > £100 on a Christmas present for my neice. Purchased spa vouchers making sure they were valid for weekends as well as week days as we are only able to go on weekends. Also made sure they had a reasonable expiry date - end of March. Just attempted to book the treatments/lunch and venue curtly informs us there is no weekend availability at all before the expiry. So we have 3 useless vouchers that can not be redeemed. Emailed travelzoo - no reply.

Tip for consumers: Avoid

lucyb12
1/6/15

Bought a voucher for my fiance's birthday. It seems if you're organised and buy far in advance you cannot refund the voucher. We turned up to the hotel which was not how I imagined it to be, tried a different room, the meals included were just roasts etc etc not worth the money spent. Spoke to the hotel manager, he was understanding said we could apply for a refund but would have to go through travelzoo. After waiting a week for travelzoo to get back to me I had to call again for them to say they'd email again. Finally said I'd bought the voucher months ago so there was no option for a refund. The whole point of using travelzoo was to save money and in the end I spent double because we had to go to another hotel last minute. Work on your refund policy travelzoo its appalling!!!!!

Tip for consumers: Check out the hotel thoroughly before buying. Make sure you won't need the option to refund :(

margotb1
12/30/14

I could not be more frustrated. Purchased a voucher from travelzoo for a Christmas present, family getaway. The location was not available for a month of weekends , the voucher had an expiry date. Bottom line, lots of vouchers sold for a few cottages for a limited time period. At this point I am out almost $500.00 and have been put on hold for long periods of time as well as had to speak with an abrupt travelzoo rep. In fairness the supervisor I next talked with was pleasant but still no satisfaction. Strong warning watch refund policy and expiry date. Bottom line, I wouldn't buy a travelzoo voucher again.

Tip for consumers: Thank you to SiteJabber for getting my concerns out their. I did reconnect with a Travelzoo rep and the problem has been resolved to my satisfaction. I feel it is only fair to acknowledge the resolution. I would still strongly encourage buyer beware . Margot

fredrics7
12/29/14

My wife and I have used Travelzoo for our vacation in France. It was really an amazing package deal and experience for us. Great hotels and no real problems. Package included car and airfare. Price was great, hotels beautiful, and driving in France a real interesting time. traffic in Paris, and these really cool country roads. We will do it again

miked114
12/16/14

I purchased two vouchers for two, two night stays at The Clevelands House Resort in the Muskokas, Ontario. The TravelZoo site said cancel within seven days for a full refund, after the seven days "the hotel policy prevails". Like a smart shopper I checked the resort's website and it said cancel seven days prior to your reservation date for a full refund. We had to cancel and I contacted The Clevelands House. They agreed that I was entitled to a full refund and I had to contact TravelZoo, which I did. I eventually ended up speaking to Jamie and her boss Lana (real names? I don't think so). They said I wasn't entitled to a refund because it was after their seven days. I told them about the resort's cancellation policy and they basically told me to "get lost". I said I would sue them in small claims court and Lana said "do whatever you want". I contacted the resort again, and they couldn't have been nicer. They emailed TravelZoo on my behalf and got no response. The resort couldn't give me a refund because they had not been paid by TravelZoo.

If you read TravelZoo's fine print it says all disputes have to go to their dispute resolution company. I called them but they had never heard of TravelZoo. SOOOOO I contactacted my credit card company, they investigated and charged back the amounts to TravelZoo. Looks good on you Jamie and Lana and whoever owns TravelZoo.

My advice? NEVER DEAL WITH TRAVELZOO. Go to Groupon or SkyAuction.com We have dealt with them many times and been very satisfied.

It's not worth trying to deal with the donkeys at The Zoo.

alexb90
11/10/14

Nice site, but deals are not always correct. I wish that they woud be better updated.

francescar2
10/28/14

Looks like 95%+ of the reviews are negative. What's going on @ Travelzoo?

9 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Travelzoo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
4 days ago
Add your answer
1 week ago
Answer
travelzooc
A: Hello ks.,

I'm sorry to hear you have not received a desired resolution regarding your reservation. Please reach out to me, Liberty, directly at 1-888-285-5618 Monday through Friday 9 AM to 9 PM EST so I can look into your concerns further. Thank you!
1 week ago