Review of Nolo

cs@nolo.com
2017 Customer choice award

wainp2
10/21/17

Re: Looking for defense against "Notice of Good Cause to Terminate Lease and Occupancy.
Nolo sent me ONE Referral.
A subscription service to find a lawyer. The respondant was Not a lawyer. He wanted $28.00 up Front to give me the name of One Attorney in Los Angeles.
I talked him into giving me the name.
He did.
I checked this attorney's referrals.
35% top score 40% bottom score.
Average 2.1 out of a possible 5.0
Nolo has not sent me Any Other Referrals.
I have 10 days from October 19th to respond

robertm558
10/16/17

i'm still waiting to speak to someone. I won't review and read it after speaking to a representative

annam260
8/29/17

I am very upset that after giving my personal information to Justin Corey(not sure if name is spelled correct) he then proceeded to sign me up to a "program" called Legal Shield. He totally misled me by calling it a program I needed to qualify for. Asking my income and last digits of my Social Security #. This company is not a program but a legal referral service formerly known as Pre-paid legal. A service I subscribed to years ago which provided nothing but gave me a run around. Your company should be ashamed of being involved in such devious practices. Your email stated that I would be contacted by an attorney who could provide me legal advice. Instead I get sold a "program" that changed it's name because it had so many complaints. If you can't provide what you say in your e-mail and on line then maybe youf company is a scam. I now have to try to get my money back from Legal Shield and cancel my debit card so no further charges can be made. Sorry I ever put my faith in your company/website because after explaining everything I've been going through I end up with nothing and no trust in nolo.com. I will be reporting your site/company for the deceptive practices your employee did to me. This is what gives attorneys a bad name.

I am very upset that after giving my personal information to Justin Corey(not sure if name is spelled correct) he then proceeded to sign me up to a "program" called Legal Shield. He totally misled me by calling it a program I needed to qualify for. Asking my income and last digits of my Social Security #. This company is not a program but a legal referral service formerly known as Pre-paid legal. A service I subscribed to years ago which provided nothing but gave me a run around. Your company should be ashamed of being involved in such devious practices. Your email stated that I would be contacted by an attorney who could provide me legal advice. Instead I get sold a "program" that changed it's name because it had so many complaints. If you can't provide what you say in your e-mail and on line then maybe youf company is a scam. I now have to try to get my money back from Legal Shield and cancel my debit card so no further charges can be made. Sorry I ever put my faith in your company/website beca ----- Message truncated -----

joshuaw53
8/7/17

These people are a joke I'm having hard Time Financially and was seeking help because I was 1 month behind on mortgage. They were going to start Forclosure and there answer was just pay it. Gee why didnt i think of that.

timothyh74
7/31/17

My wife hired a lawyer to do a no contest divorce. I felt her requests were too high. I answered the NOLO questions stating my concerns with what she wanted. They said they found a lawyer in my area. It was one lawyer and it was the one my wife had hired. Not good! I went onto their live chat to let them know. It is NOT a "Live CHat".

davel121
5/31/17

Their online products are terrible. If you could simply purchase software to, for instance, create a Living Trust, that would be fine. However, the online version is clunky at best and virtually impossible to renew, so that you cannot make changes to the trust you have created. Their web site is amateurish for a large company.

judithw35
5/7/17

I was told that Nolo has a reasonable refund policy for bogus leads. My first lead was along the lines of "I want to talk to a lawyer because my employer is invading my mind and harassing me telepathically." I asked for a refund, right? What this poor woman needs, no lawyer can provide. Refund refused. Nolo employs high pressure sales tactics, now with three different individuals per account, so that you can easily spend half an hour on the phone just getting one simple matter attended to, and then they nickel and dime you to death. It's an exercise in aggravation. Just. Don't. Bother.

larrys153
4/25/17

I would get leads from people just out of prison or seeking pro bono help. Most decent leads were usually from out my area and they would not give you credit for it even though they said they would.

lg63
4/13/17

What ever you do, don't even think about using live chat on their site. It's a robot survey disguised as chat to get your contact information and offer no live assistance. Then good luck trying to talk to someone in customer service to request they not spam you with product emails. STAY AWAY FROM NOLO.

dq4
4/3/17

These people are true charlatans. Warning to Attorney's: don't waste your time with their lies and deceit. You get little if any of what they promise. Be warned.

amya71
3/3/17

The article: "Put your employer on notice of your disability with a reasonable accommodation letter" written by Judge Guerin is completely incorrect. At no time is an employee to EVER state what their disability is when requesting accommodations. They are to state as such, "I have a disability which requires the following accommodations." That's it. The employer may wish to request doctor proof but then the doctor only need state: "I affirm/deny that my patient has a disability which requires the accommodations requested." ANY request for specific disability violates the ADA, and HIPPA. Then the employer must provide such accommodations if they are reasonable, dont change the official nature of the business, or cause an undue hardship on the establishment.

Harvard and Corenell state that Judges are rarely well versed in disability rights and are apt to be ingrained in shallow knowledge. She appears to be one. I suggest they read Harvard's letter on disability rights, housing and mental illness as it covers the information this judge is lacking, as does the ADA, but this judge has not read it with understanding apparently.

Good grief the information given was just scarey! Do NOT go to NOLO for quick advice it is sorely wrong

brw5
2/16/17

*** This site is horrible. THEY ONLY WANT YOUR MONEY! NO WAY to REACH a LIVE PERSON. My inquiry for help was NEVER responded to. I downloaded a very important NDA Form for my business, but found out THEIR FORM had a HUGE MISTAKE in it. Additionally, they did NOT include a VERY IMPORTANT CLAUSE like MOST NDA forms have. STAY AWAY from this site for ANY kind of E-Forms. It seems they try to cover too many 'bases' and DON'T FOCUS on ANYTHING in particular. ***

kathil4
1/31/17

The leads you pay for are typically not leads at all, instead they are people who have questions that are not pertinent. A lead should not read "need help, just got out of prison" or "depressed" as a lead, as we are not social workers but attorneys. Beware that 9 of 10 leads (at best) are worthless and this inflates the cost of conversion to one of the industry highest per lead rates (and a large waste of precious time).

sharonz6
12/7/16

Great references and legal documents for the layman and the paraprofessional. Good estate planning documents, for good or for people who can't afford an attorney right now. Better to have something in place than nothing. (But still go to a lawyer eventually. Even so, reading these books will help you understand what an attorney is doing for you!)

lavellam
11/30/16

Please review your referrals....its frustrating to hear an attorney office say....well if a provider hasn't killed you or almost killed you we can't take your case. I feeling some kind of way after lose 3 teeth which was only suppose to be a root canal.

Tip for consumers: research the do and don'ts of your referrals,,,,even though its only a referral

jeannec17
11/23/16

I had a simple question I tried to ask about home invasion laws. My husband and I disagreed on whether or not a warning shot was legally required if someone breaks in and you have to use force to deter or stop them. I was treated like a criminal. The secretary couldn't or actually wouldn't proceed to even tell me to find another site without my information. I had to answer how long my case was pending. I told her it was just a yes or no question. She could have told me she was clueless or legally couldn't answer my question since she wasn't licensed (which is bull crud). Most likely she didn't know. I am going to be awful upset if I get charged for a service I Even Ben Franklin would opt to represent himself than hire these people. I have a headache from banging my head against the wall so to speak. That's pain and suffering I think.OH NOW I HAVE TO LET THEM HAVE ACCESS TO MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT TO WRITE A REVIEW. Just lemme copy and paste

anad30
10/28/16

This website is a ruse to get your name and phone number and then they distribute it to ALL kinds of companies, including scammers with suspicious intentions. I had "law firms" call me from phone numbers that were masked. They would say they needed a little information from me, and they would ask me for my maiden name, my birthdate and my SSN! I know better than giving these out to just anyone over the phone. But it has been a nightmare to get rid of these phone calls. I tried contacting NOLO and found out it is IMPOSSIBLE. There is not a phone number you can call. And the webform to send feedback requires an order number! Since I did not order anything, I can't contact them. I spent large amounts of time on their website clicking back and forth to try to find a way to contact them, any way. There is none!
Please stay away. It is a nightmare i cant seem to get rid of.

cynthiaa25
9/2/16

I used Nolo before for advertising for Bankruptcy, we lost money TWICE.

The way it works is NOLO shares leads with other attorneys so it is first come first serve, so many times before you even call a lead, another attorney has called and set up an appointment. The sales person we signed up with made all these promises that NOLO has changed, the representative that we worked with does not work there anymore, the salesperson said there are all these leads and they don't have enough attorneys to fill them, this is the line I was given. Why I fell prey to NOLO again, I am still baffled about it.

Why NOT to Hire Nolo

1. Most of the leads are poor quality, either they are spam, picking your brain, have no intentions on hiring an attorney, want to do it themselves, make appointments and never show up, or just have no money to afford an attorney.

2. You are one of a few attorneys who receives the lead

3. When you receive spam leads, you have to be quick about getting credits, it is another accounting task and takes more time away from you generating business.

4. Read your contract NO REFUNDS, they will hold you to the contract no matter how dissatisfied you are.
5. Waste of valuable time, time calling bad leads, time emailing bad leads, time setting up appointments for bad leads and time wasted for no shows.

I looked up all the leads we received with other attorneys to see if the leads did retain a Bankruptcy Attorney and filed Bankruptcy and most did not that clearly in my opinion is a good indicator that they are mostly bad leads.

With NOLO think about it, you spent countless hours chasing down leads, some are completely bogus, most are just calling to pick your brain, very few hire you, just think of how much time you have wasted when you could put your time generating leads that are NOT SHARED.

There will be no third time for me, shame on me for even considering them a second time.

carrolls14
8/9/16

Great for a quick overview of the law. NEVER think t can give you all you need to know.

alaine6
4/25/16

I personally use Nolo for most of my legal questions. It is a great site to get ideas about areas of law.

chelseaw15
3/23/16

Per the Nolo advisory team, I hired Ted Taggart as my bankruptcy attorney in March of 2014 and have not received the services I paid for as to this day (two years later). Ted was very eager to engage me in beginning the bankruptcy procedure and accepted my full payment of $1,500 for court fees, etc. However, when I attempted to elicit advice from him or asked him when we go forward with the actual bankruptcy, he avoided my communications. There was an incident where I received a summons to go to court over a credit card debt and attempted again to elicit Teds advice and help with the matter (being that he was my attorney and I had paid him in full already), but I again received no advice or help and ended up paying the debt because I was afraid of the repercussions. I am sorely disappointed in Teds lack of care for his profession and his clients. I would definitely advise anyone seeking a bankruptcy attorney to avoid Ted Taggart altogether. He is unprofessional and may potentially take your money without rendering services.

colins41
11/11/15

The will nolo.com setup for my late mother never named any assets and included a failure to leave property clause. There were two pages detailing trusts to be setup for nothing to be in. The will left residual property to family members who were not children. A debtor petitioned for the estate to exist and will executed to absolve their debt. Now it has been 3 years of nothing happening other than the county appointed lawyer managing the estate is refusing to reimburse funeral expenses which were the bare minimum (and state law) and he is taking his fee out each month for receiving mail. Long story short have a trusted friend read it and see if someone could execute a will if using nolo.com.

cathyk16
11/7/15

I purchased the living trust software. Honestly it is a waste of money. There is no editing function allowing the user to change obvious flaws. For example, the name of the trust is pre-filled to be the full legal names of the grantors. No trust is named this way because the length of the trust is ridiculously long. A high schooler could have designed a better product.

merlenem
11/7/15

there were wonderful helping me with my needs

peterd82
9/15/15

Awesome site full of useful information.

118 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

In life you get what you pay for, if you are looking for a generic better than nothing then use NOLO, but if you looking for a document that meets your needs contact an estate planning attorney. Documents are state specific and laws change all the time, it would be impossible for NOLO to keep up with all the changes in all 50 states, obtain a free consult from an attorney.

By Cynthia A. on 9/8/16

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the Nolo staff and other customers.

Nolo?