US Government’s NSF

Detailed Rating Summary

▼ Sort by: recent

alaine6
4/25/16

I personally use Nolo for most of my legal questions. It is a great site to get ideas about areas of law.

chelseaw15
3/23/16

Per the Nolo advisory team, I hired Ted Taggart as my bankruptcy attorney in March of 2014 and have not received the services I paid for as to this day (two years later). Ted was very eager to engage me in beginning the bankruptcy procedure and accepted my full payment of $1,500 for court fees, etc. However, when I attempted to elicit advice from him or asked him when we go forward with the actual bankruptcy, he avoided my communications. There was an incident where I received a summons to go to court over a credit card debt and attempted again to elicit Teds advice and help with the matter (being that he was my attorney and I had paid him in full already), but I again received no advice or help and ended up paying the debt because I was afraid of the repercussions. I am sorely disappointed in Teds lack of care for his profession and his clients. I would definitely advise anyone seeking a bankruptcy attorney to avoid Ted Taggart altogether. He is unprofessional and may potentially take your money without rendering services.

colins41
11/11/15

The will nolo.com setup for my late mother never named any assets and included a failure to leave property clause. There were two pages detailing trusts to be setup for nothing to be in. The will left residual property to family members who were not children. A debtor petitioned for the estate to exist and will executed to absolve their debt. Now it has been 3 years of nothing happening other than the county appointed lawyer managing the estate is refusing to reimburse funeral expenses which were the bare minimum (and state law) and he is taking his fee out each month for receiving mail. Long story short have a trusted friend read it and see if someone could execute a will if using nolo.com.

cathyk16
11/7/15

I purchased the living trust software. Honestly it is a waste of money. There is no editing function allowing the user to change obvious flaws. For example, the name of the trust is pre-filled to be the full legal names of the grantors. No trust is named this way because the length of the trust is ridiculously long. A high schooler could have designed a better product.

merlenem
11/7/15

there were wonderful helping me with my needs

susanl68
9/19/15

Young lawyers buy NOLO Press books. NOLO Press remains current and provides 90% of the information you need to be your own lawyer, including the forms. This is just an excellent system for self-help.

peterd82
9/15/15

Awesome site full of useful information.

tabithah5
6/26/15

I purchased this service to create a trust for my Dad & his wife. During the process, my Dad passed away. The Nolo Law document would not allow me to delete my Dad's name.

We contacted Nolo Law & they emailed tell us we could now update the document, but when we try it says we must name a 2nd grantor. We don't have a 2nd grantor. The trust is solely for his widow with her daughter being the trustee.

After one year of trying to get Nolo to update the document, the subscription expired. Rather than start from scratch, we purchased another subscription. We are still unable to update the document & removed our deceased Father's name.

We also tried to enter the legal property information for the houses, but the document won't save the new changes. We have been trying for one year to get this resolved.

Nolo law responds very slow and only via email. There is no customer service for this website. I do not recommend Nolo Law. Try another company so you don't waste a year.

meehyunk
6/12/15

I think Nolo press is the best place to start for any legal dealing. I wrote my patent using Nolo Press and went to a Patent Lawyer to review and file it. It worked out!

I have unfortunately have gone through numerous real life lawyers who turned out to be absolutely awful. The last lawyer who I happened to respect and grateful for meeting told me 90% of lawyers out there do not know what they are doing. SO what value Nolo will bring is educating yourself first so that you are versed in what you are trying to deal with in legal arena. Questions to ask, what to watch out for.....Nolo definitely does not replace a real human lawyer, but for basic things like incorporating, landlord tenant issues, etc. It is a great resource.

However, if you are going to litigation, still read and research as much as possible before you start interviewing lawyers. And you better have your intuition antenna out in full force when you do research and interview lawyers. Also do not trust a lot of rating system for lawyers unless they are negative. I have learned a painful way that you really need to read reviews on anyone/site before start engaging. Have in mind that some people are just plain negative which you can disregard, but you can ascertain the trend from site like this one!

You will save a lot of aggravation, money,

tabithh
5/22/15

When my Dad got sick, he & I decided to get his affairs in order. I elected to use Nolo Law's online creation software for quitclaim & trust docs. We purchased the quitclaim kit & the trust kit.

I produced 2 excellent quitclaim deeds to remove Dad's name from the 2-properties he own with his wife. This was easy and we were able to process everything into her name. We used the public record property tax record to get the legal description of the properties.

Note that if you have a mobile home you will need 2-property descriptors. One for the land, if you own it, and one for the trailer itself. If it is a double wide, you'll need an additional descriptor for both halves of the home (L & R sides).

Unfortunately, my Dad passed away before we could complete the process. The trust document software is cumbersome and stressful to edit. It's been over a year & we are still unable to remove Dad's name for the non-finalized document. We emailed Nolo & they claimed to have unlocked it, but to date, we've been unable to edit.

We only found out this past month, when we took the quitclaim deeds to the court house that we'd have to edit the descriptors of the 2-properties, i.e., one for the land and the other for the 2-parts of the mobile home. So we needed to add 2-seperate descriptors for the trailer. We did this and it was easy.

If I could go back, I probably would not use Nolo law, because it is such a headache to edit simple mistakes, add info, & finalize the doc. There is no real customer services for this site regardless of what they say & certainly no tech support.

jeffj24
11/10/14

I wrote my entire living will and estate plan using Nolo.com and saved myself around $7000. I showed it to a lawyer in my family and he seemed to think I did everything correctly. It does take work to use nolo but big savings if you use it.

lisav16
9/12/14

DONT' ADVERTISE WITH NOLO. THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY, CONTINAULLY CHARGE YOU AND WHEN THE BAD LEADS KEEP COMING AND YOU TRY TO GET A REFUND THEY SAY IT DOES NOT FIT INTO THEIR REFUND POLICY. WHICH THEY NEVER GAVE US.
THE SALES REP IS RUDE AND MANAGER GIVES YOU LIP SERVICE YET NEVER FOLLOWS UP AFTER.
TOTALY DISAPPOINTMENT... WASTE OF MONEY

pauls51
9/3/14

Nolo Press is very good and taking your money and then ignoring the hell out of you when you need customer service. I've been trying for the last hour to reach someone at Nolo; no matter how many times I've called or how many different extensions I've tried I've been sent to a generic voice mail. Pathetic rip off.

karolef
5/7/14

I purchased their Quicken WillMaster Plus 2014 software to make a will. Once downloaded, the only option was to create a living trust. I don't want a living trust. I spent 30 minutes on their site trying to find the will form only to discover that the form for a will costs an additional $34.95. Rip off.

stevenr51
12/15/13

For attorneys, based on my experience, this site is an absolute waste. They promise you the moon and get you nonsense referrals that are not only a waste of money, but also a waste of time in having to respond to them. No surprise, no money back guarantee with these guys.

christ1848
10/8/13

Inaccurate information.

stanislasr3
5/3/13

Nolo probably makes a bundle on selling legal documents that cost them basically nothing. But for the rest of us, Nolo can save you a huge amount of money over paying for an expensive attorney. I'm not saying you shouldn't use an attorney. You should when you need it. But if you're doing basically estate planning stuff, like getting the documents for a basic will, or doing probate stuff. I'd read the Nolo books first before paying for an expensive estate planning attorney.

leog12
4/30/13

The homepage of Nolo Press, the pioneers of do-it-yourself law, is also a rich source of free legal information.

briang
11/17/07

Legal Resource Books and Forms - For reliable, easy-to-read, do-it-yourself books about legal topics, I highly recommend Nolo Press. Their books are well written and typically intended for non-lawyer audiences.

Years ago, I practiced as a solo practitioner in corporate law; and when my clients asked me for recommendations on law books where they could learn more about a particular topic (e.g., copyright or trademark law), I often sent them to<a href="http:// Nolo.com" target="_blank"> Nolo.com</a> to find a particular book.

For example, if you're interested in learning how to incorporate your business on your own (without engaging a lawyer), you might read background in Nolo's "How to Form Your Own California Corporation" -- and then use some of their forms on CD.

8 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Nolo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question