Review of LivingSocial

Washington, DC 20005
feedback@livingsocial.com

edwardd45
7/25/17

Living Social voucher company is UNETHICAL, VERY POOR customer service and takes WEEKS for a refund if a all. I have called SEVEN TIMES for a refund and even after speaking to THREE so called "supervisor" or "manager" people they stupid, unethical company has NOT issued my refund.

I used to be a happy customer and in the past I have bought over 100 vouchers. HOWEVER, never again! Not only do they have a totally unhelpful and lame and POOR customer service center IN ANOTHER COUNTRY (the Philippines) but now eleven times when talking with that lousy Philippines call center the call dropped when they placed me on hold. They did not call me back EVEN THOUGH I TOLD THEM THAT HE CALLS GETS DROPPED WHEN THEY CALL SO CALL ME BACK WHEN THE CALL DROPS)

I have been waiting for my refund for three weeks! Now iI looked at my bank statement and the Living Social

DO NOT BUY HERE!

Tip for consumers: Don't! Run away! DO NOT BUY FROM THESE UNETHICAL PEOPLE

ryanl73
7/13/17

I order an item and paid for it, 3 weeks later and I have still not received it I have contacted then numerous times for an update and have not once had a reply I would advise that not a single person uses this as a company as it's a complete scam

carolinec63
7/4/17

After purchasing my voucher on Living Social I was keen to book my appointment, I tried calling but no answered or returned my call. I sent a text requesting an appointment on a Saturday as I work full time only to receive a text message back saying the voucher was only valid between Monday - Friday. There is no mention of this on the advertisement and in fact states that they are open 6 days per week and states there open hours on the bottom of the advertisement. I wouldn't have bothered purchasing this voucher if I had known that it was not usable on a Saturday. They are misleading people in to purchasing this voucher by not stating the full T&C of the voucher. I sent several message to "FACE" but had no response to any of my messages which in my eye is bad customer service. I contact living Social and explained the issue and they were very helpful and refunded me in full.

Tip for consumers: Check the availability before purchasing any vouchers. Some adverts are misleading.....

rg80
6/26/17

I purchased a 90 minute Chicago architectural tour through LivingSocial and Eventbrite on May 17, 2017. It is now June 26 and the August date that I require is not yet available. August dates will not even be posted until (by) July 15. That is 2 months after purchase and I have no confidence that my date will even be available. In addition, I cannot plan anything else for that date because I don't know what time the cruise can be booked, if at all.

I have contacted Eventbrite and they referred me back to LivingSocial. LivingSocial refuses to do anything because the purchase from Eventbrite is non-refundable. Seriously? I can't book it and I can't get my money back.

Steer clear. Run.

ewang8
6/26/17

Four weeks after purchasing wrongly advertised deal, still no satisfactory response from the merchant.

katherineh45
6/22/17

I cannot even believe this company still exists. They helped themselves to my money and then gave me the worst run around you can imagine. Outright lying to me at every step - "someone will call you by the end of the day, we have no record of your complaint, etc." That's IF you can communicate with the "outsourced customer service (India)" -- the guy could hardly understand me nor I, him. I finally had to get PayPal involved who ultimately decided they couldn't PROVE "unauthorized transactions". Well, I certainly didn't order a gift card for a restaurant i have never heard of in a DIFFERENT state and they gave Living Social BACK the money they took from my account. So I am appalled at how PayPal really "went to bat for me" as well! Done with BOTH companies. But again, beware. In my opinion, Living Social should not even be in business. The internet is littered with complaints of fraud about them yet they still exist. Please think twice before giving them ANY of your information. Read the complaints first!

larryy7
6/21/17

I purchased a Costco membership through living social - yest the voucher did not add to my account. I was allowed to trade it in and the deal dollars added to my account but so far I have enough not been allowed to make another purchase with the dollars and each time I attempted to do so, Living Social attempted to recharge my Credit card which my bank wisely detected as duplicate transactions and decoined them. Every time I contact Living socal customer service they want my credit card# which I refuse to give them. You decide - is this just incompetence or is it fraud?

serenee
6/13/17

Buyers beware! Savings are grossly misrepresented n if you found out you've been deceived , no refunds considered ! Bought a high tea party voucher for 4 at $288 ( claimed value was $570). Found out later that buying direct from the organisers gives better value especial when one's allowed to choose time of sittings , not restrictive per Living Social . Asked nicely if I can get a refund in credit so my gfs n I can book direct with organisers since their savings claim was grossly overstated . 1st reply from them was " no refund for change of mind whatever the reason" . I pleaded on informing them their savings claim was grossly deceptive. 2nd reply came as " ... their ( organiser's) new discount comes to $290. Therefore as our deal was $288, it is actually cheaper." That makes $2 or 50cents per ticket cheaper ! What happen to the original claim of hundreds of dollars savings ? Lesson : Never believe in their savings claim - do your homework before buying anything from them . For you'll never get your money back .

ninag19
6/12/17

I paid for a voucher to a restaurant, but didn't realize that the promotional period was over in a month. Figuring I could still uses it for what I paid, I went to the restaurant to find that it had gone out of business. I called about getting a refund of what I'd paid, and they insisted that since itwas after the promotional period had expired, they would not refund me for what I'd paid to them. They could see that I've been a consistent user of of LS for years, but still decided to screw me and would not let me speak with a supervisor. Boycotting from now on!

mwami
6/10/17

If you buy a voucher from here you may as well have tossed that cash out the window of a moving car.

This company spends too much money on advertising and not enough for basic staff. Businesses don't seem to understand how to create deals.

When you call Living Social for help because a business is refusing to honor the voucher you get ZERO helo. Definitely no refund or even a credit.

After being burned 2x I have never returned to the site.

Many voucher sites have come and gone exactly because they couldn't get businesses to honor vouchers and did not protect their consumers. Living Social will probaby dissappear too.

Groupon is WAY better for finding deals and you are at least protected as the customer.

jonic11
6/5/17

Do NOT buy anything from living social escapes if there is even a 1% doubt that you can not attend. They tell you have 24 hours to cancel but they are NOT available to you on the weekends, so if your window falls in a weekend you are not able to get a refund. I called on Monday to tell them that they needed to still issue a refund and the process was a joke. They finally ended up issuing but what a headache.

christines132
6/2/17

after buying goose feather pillows they are the worst feather pillows i have ever purchased, said soft and comfortable, they are not as described the feathers have long stalks sticking riggt through my pillow case i was going to ask for a refund but after seeing what other people have said about trying to get a refund i wont bother, i just wont be buying from them again

jamiea43
5/27/17

Purchased an air duct cleaning on LivingSocial. Luis Magana was very professional and thorough! I would recommend him for this service.

sydneyb30
5/14/17

Redeeming a voucher was a nightmare. The one I just did directed me to the vendor's website (which I assume is standard operating procedure) and there was no live link. I first had to write it out on a piece of paper it was so long (like over 20 characters long). Who is the genius who decided not to include live links? Never again.

What happened after that was not Living Social's fault, but I warn you not to ever book anything from Best Tours. Whoever designed their website should be shot and the way to redeem a voucher is not intuitive at all. I finally had to give the guy at zendesk my email address and log-in information so he could do it for me. From start to finish, this consumed over an hour of a beautiful Sunday afternoon

nadinef5
5/13/17

If I could make this review zero stars I would. I understand that living social is probably going to be out of business fairly soon. It is no small wonder why. If the original price of a voucher remains in effect forever and the business refuses to honor that voucher where is living socials responsibility? According to them they have none. Essentially several consumer agents who are "offsite" have reiterated countless times that LivingSocial has no responsibility if a business refuses to deal with you or if a business no longer is in existence. If I paid my $101to LivingSocial they owe me that money. I realize I am adding to the chorus. It seems that we need to spread the word so this company can be put out of business that much sooner

kk168
5/7/17

I bought one but the merchant went out of business. Living social says they have no responsibility about the merchant and that they will not refund your money. It's a small amount. I will take them to small claims court to set an example.

marcyr9
4/19/17

I have been using livingsocial for many years.Within the past 2 years I have had a few restaurants refuse to accept the certificate. I was issued a credit on the website but I am tired of buying certificates and credits online. I called and the company refused to give credit back on my credit card. I would advise you to call the restaurant or vendor prior to purchasing to make sure they will accept the certificate. Stick to GROUPON!

micheler38
4/10/17

I had a company go out of business and the paid promotional says it does not expire until 2019. When I called they said there was nothing they could do and the money is just lost. I will NEVER purchase anything from them again. I have over $100 in vouchers that say the value never expires and I no longer trust this company.

cressidaz
4/9/17

I bought 170 plants for garden they are tiny begonias not a mix if plants as expected
Tiny tray would not have cost £10 in local garden centre let alone £30 plus pounds as true value claimed to be A total rip off
Also bought a telescope from same site didn't work
I'm deleting the site
Grouping Deals seem more genuine

lauraa80
4/6/17

I've used Living Social for years and found some great local companies - who have earned ongoing business from me. Yes, there were some losers, but LS's revised refund/cancellation policy has made it worthwhile to take the occasional risk. You have to stay on top of the timing and deadlines. So fun to find things I wouldn't otherwise have tried.

chrisp194
3/29/17

I've been a Living Social customer for the past 5 years (and a Groupon customer for the same period). Recently I attempted to redeem a restaurant voucher that I purchased on Living Social in 2015 - yes the "promotional value" has expired but as per conditions of the voucher and consumer protection laws I am entitled to the "Amount paid" for another few years. Turns out the restaurant went out of business a few days before my visit. Disappointing, ESPECIALLY SINCE I ALSO PURCHASED A VOUCHER FOR THE SAME MERCHANT ON GROUPON - THERES A REASON I AM MENTIONING GROUPON.

So I get home and contact Living Social - 3 times - all by phone - they do not offer the option of resolving this issue via e-mail (Like Groupon does). End result - 2 hours of my wasted time, 2 broken promises by Living Social (to contact me - I had to reach out to them each time), 3 days, and still no refund. They flatly refuse - first I was told that my voucher was "expired". Yes, I know that - I went to the merchant to redeem the "paid value" - which is $143 by the way. "oh: says the csr...well let me research the merchant..10 minutes later she advises me that they will get back to me in 48 by e-mail. 48 hours later - no e-mail. I call again. This time I'm told that the restaurant is "under new management" and that I need to call them or e-mail the manager and ask them if they will honor the voucher. Really? Well, just before I call Living Social I already did my due diligence - the restaurant is NOT open, my phone calls to the restaurant are UNANSWERED, and I drove by the location just yesterday and its ABANDONED.

So, back to my refund request. Now I'm told flatly that Living Social will NOT be refunding my $ nor crediting my account with Living Social currency. The "contract" is between the merchant and myself. This is a LIE - Living Social billed my credit card - not the merchant. At this point I am admittedly becoming really annoyed having wasted so much time on an issue that is a clear case of providing good customer service, doing the right thing, and following the consumer protection laws which govern this industry. So I then ask the CSR for the Living Social corporate office number - I would like to speak with someone in the UNITED STATES, not a foreign call center. I am then given a number that turns out to be disconnected - no suprise just par for the course. Such a shady operation - I cannot believe that Groupon has associated its name and reputation with this scam company.

SO GROUPON - EXACT SAME SITUATION, EXACT SAME MERCHANT, EXACT SAME TIME - ONLY DIFFERENCE IS 1 VOUCHER PURCHASED FROM LIVING SOCIAL, OTHER FROM GROUPON. GROUPON PROCESSED MY REQUEST VIA E-MAIL IN 12 HOURS AND PROVIDED ME CREDIT THROUGH GROUPON BUCKS. THANK YOU GROUPON!! THIS IS WHY YOU WERE ALWAYS THE LARGER AND MORE SUCCESSFUL OF THE 2 COMPANIES OFFERING SIMILAR PRODUCTS. AND WHY YOU WERE ABLE TO BUY LIVING SOCIAL.

It appears that Living Social has also done this to other customers and its STEALING consumers $. I would like to invite any attorneys out there interested in a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT to consider targeting Living Social for this practice. Like I'm sure most consumers out there, I do not appreciate ANYONE sticking their hands in my pocket and STEALING $1 from me, much less $143! I will use every tool at my disposal from consumer protection laws (via my states attorney generals office to file a complaint) to Federal laws to social media awareness to soliciting interest for legal action against these thieves.

Its not the $ at this point, but the principal that a company thinks they can just take your or my $, not provide any exchange of goods or services, and tell the consumer flat out that YOU WILL NOT GET A REFUND! Challenge accepted Living Social.

paulinem32
3/24/17

Avoid this site at all costs!! I purchased a 5k race voucher. The fine print on another page states that it's nonrefundable and you have to search to find that the voucher requires additional fees. What's worse is that they were more expensive than the race website. They refused to refund my purchase within 30 minutes of the purchase, was incredibly rude and when I informed them that it was cheaper on the website, they told me they discounted the purchase 20 bucks, but in actuality they gave me a 20 buck voucher to buy something else... NOT HAPPENING. If you want discounts go to groupon. I've never had a problem with them!

taraneej
3/15/17

Compare to other travel sites, this site is quite expensive. I'm a world traveler and use different online travel sites. This is not the best site for bargain hunters. And their e-mails are very intrusive.

dfds2
3/13/17

LivingSocial has a "Restaurant Plus" program and they can't link my credit card to my account. They keep telling me it should work, but when I follow-up they don't know what the issue is. Every email response says it's been "escalated" and to call if I need more information. When I call, the person on the phone says there's nothing they can do and it's been escalated. I've literally been following up and trying to resolve this issue for almost 2 months.

It's been weeks since I received an update or response to my emails (which they've responded to previously). It's disappointing that their system doesn't function, and they don't seem to care about fixing it or helping me stay a customer.

estherc18
3/2/17

I love looking because you can always find something you can use or even I have found great gifts for very reasonable prices.

Helpful answer

They are fraudsters sitting internationally completely having no physical existence all internet based and you can't complain to any one. Stay away from these buggers.

By Khalid S. on 8/3/15
Helpful answer

Have you contacted the customer service at Livingsocial.com? I have found them to be pretty responsive in the past. This is a seperate review site.

By Stephanie L. on 4/2/15
Helpful answer

There do seem to have been some financial problems with many of the deals from Living Social. But when I had a problem they answered the phone and it was dealt with quickly and the goods resent.

By Tony G. on 9/25/15
Helpful answer

me too i bought a voucher for a necklace and not recieved any confirmation but the money has come out of my bank account. I have bought from these before and never had this problem but i am worrying as i cant get through on the phone its dead!!

By hazel e. on 8/1/13
Helpful answer

Hello Brian, between Living Social and Groupon selling name brand items. I have never had a problem with either and you can always return things and get a full refund. Read all the fine print per item and for any services or purchases that you make because some have expiration dates on them as well. Each distributor differs. LS and Groupn are platform sites for other businesses to sell and get their info out there.They are just the platform. But to ease your mind I have had much success with any and all purchases from both sites with the ease of returning if I don't like it.

By mikel m. on 6/11/16
Helpful answer

Unreliable people to deal with

By Khalid S. on 8/11/15
Helpful answer

Never use living social - you should know by now they have a crooked business model. I live In the uk and it is a shame you sent these fraudsters from the USA to us

By Rakesh G. on 4/16/15
Helpful answer

Normally a percentage. .....in my case all of the £99 I've paid living social. ..can't book hotel so presumably they just keep all of it. Can you imagine how many people they're doing this to around the world?

By William M. on 9/24/15
Helpful answer

Hi cindy, you should try groupon instead. Its been proven reliable to me as compare to living social. There refund policy is swift and approachable. But yet again I can only tell you my experience as a customer with them, know nothing much about their relationship or policies with the vendors.

By DisappontedCustomer C. on 9/1/15
Helpful answer

rip me off once, shame on you rip me off twice, shame on me the item i purchased was completely misrepresented as to quality and material. I was supposed to be Stainless Steel and instead was a cheap chrome plated plastic piece of junk. I am trying to get a refund, we'll see. I don't accept their "Final Sale" out on something that is so dishonestly described. It is living social's responsibility to make sure that items sold on their website be accurately and honestly described. If not then they truly cannot be trusted.

By Michael D. on 11/3/16
Questions? Get answers from the LivingSocial staff and other customers.

9 Photos for LivingSocial