US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

tedt21
2/27/17

I have backed three projects on Kickstarter in the past year, but will not do so again. The first project was well organized and progress was well communicated. For both the second and the third the creators had no business sense or understanding of expectation management.

You pay well upfront for the opportunity to be one of the first to receive the product. Well, if you are not in the United States that can be a real problem. I received one of the products last week after shipping was promised in September 2016. Actual shipping was at the end of November and the cheapest route was taken. Almost three months to ship a small package. The software is full of bugs and the creators are now asking for additional pledge to put in a feature that should have been included from the start.

The other project has been ongoing for quite some time too and I received notice today that it was finally shipping. Estimated shipping was November 2016 and the notice is that it will be shipped this week. Will not hold on to see how long it takes to arrive. This backer sent out updates, but again used those updates to solicit for other projects when they had not delivered on their first.

Mostly, the problem is non-response on the Kickstarter site or a very delayed response. The backers just do not seem to understand how important maintaining good communications is with the backers.

Also, Kickstarter serves as a flow through only. If the project is significantly delayed and you want a refund, that will not happen. Kickstarter plays no part in this aspect of customer service.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice shame on you Kickstarter.

stanleys47
2/16/17

I was dumb enough to participate in one Kickstarter funding venture. The company was globalColor producing a hardware/software screen calibration device for early supporters at $139.
They charged my VISA on 8-16-16, emailed a followup note that I would receive my product in November 2016. Never got any product or followup. Kickstarter refused any responsibility and other than filing a Federal Internet Fraud Complaint I am out $139. My advice is to block Kickstarter from you email site.

sams330
2/4/17

As you can see in the reviews, Kickstarter is nothing but fraud although I only lost $100 for the Lumen - Eternal Flashlight, lots lost more and total scam could be in the hundreds of millions or billions. Not sure why the FTC is not cracking down on this company. There is no repercussion if the company ends up being fraud. I would say if you want lots of money fast and get rich quick use this site and take peoples money for paying for "unbelievable technology"

dalek22
1/24/17

I gave hundreds of dollars to a startup electronics company (Remidi) through Kickstarter. The items were expected last fall - they haven't even gotten a prototype together. Neither KickStarter nor the startup will give me my money back. If startups can't get money any other way they should be suspect. Don't fall for this scam

danec16
1/24/17

Similar to Kriss V, (above) I paid $159 for 4 facecradles and never received them even after updates that the product was going to ship and arrive around Xmas....that was their most recent update. A couple weeks ago I contacted Kickstarter via email asking for assistance. They replied with a type of "form letter" that only advocated the company and their services. It was worthless to the issue I wanted help on. I then replied asking for the contact info for Hairy Turtle Pty...they never replied. I'M NOT LETTING THIS SITUATION DROP.

lucast11
1/13/17

The site is full of interesting projects but there are also many fraudulent ones so take your time to search for the interesting ones that can be trusted or care to fund those you trust 100%. Thats all

hishama1
12/15/16

They recieved money and didnt ship it since october
No customer service
Dont let them decieve you

robertd260
12/10/16

Has loads of interesting projects but be very careful on sending money somewhere - a good thorough research is my advice.

brianr131
12/1/16

Kickstarter would get more cred from me if they would refund us their 3 or whatever they made on projects that are faf (fake as F&$*)

krissv
12/1/16

still waiting for travel pillow says collected October still have nothing social media will find out your company is hoax. you take money and supply nothing

hafizj
10/27/16

I have tried two crowdfunding platforms and one of which is Kickstarter. I would say Kickstarter was the worst experience I had in many ways.

1. Review team slow in response. Question...are you guys really following your protocol? I set up a campaign to get new equipment for a long term project of fine arts and selling it for part of the returns to give back to society, you guys call it as an intention for charity. If my campaign is for the purpose of charity, then why are there at least 2 campaigns in the same category as I am, photography, but you still approve of their campaign when....at the end of it both of us are having the same direction? OR its just a random answer to by time on your end? I had ro practically revamp the whole advert and now....? Three business days? After 3 days I had to practically chase after you guys to check the status of my campaign. New joiners...just bear this in mind when you join in, after they had reviewed your campaign and they say just reply when the adjustments had been done, expect the reply in donkey years if you dont chase after them. Whats the purpose of having a timed campaign when the review team have no sense of urgency?

2. The only crowdfunding site that boasts 11.9million people backing Kickstarter projects. Ghosts? Based on the site traffic driven to Kickstarter? Or really there's a community behind it that's ready to sponsor a campaign. I'd love to see my campaign fly based on your so called 11.9million backers.

3. Genuine new projects or just clones? This might be a wake up call to the so called review team. Most of the projects I've read have all been designed, produced and shipped from their country of origin. And here comes another buddy cloning the same thing but using other material? If you cant differentiate an original idea, then you are simply wasting the investors or community funding. For God's sake there are even three Singapore accounts marketing the same campaign and you guys still release it?

I have only been through the website up til their useless frontlines. Until now its the 3rd time submitting my campaign for review and its my 3rd time chasing after them for the status. At the time of this review, no response yet from their so called review team. Let's see if my original idea based campaign is approved by them or it will go through a fourth so called review. If it is approved, let's see if the 11.9million people really exists or they are simply based on site traffic driven by campaign owner who have to invest to direct traffic to their campaign via Kickstarter link.

Let's see how it goes.....

Tip for consumers: For your campaign review, if it goes through you're lucky. But if it doesn't and you are in for a 2nd review, be sure to chase after them, whats more if yours is a timed campaign. Otherwise they will simply be quiet and delay.

michaell
10/25/16

Kickstarter is a innovative micro-patronage site which connects aspiring
creatives to those who want to be more involved in endorsing interesting
projects. The way it works is that individuals who conceive of a project but do
not have the money to pursue it or don't want to bear the financial risk can
submit their idea to the site. Donors can then see the projects and decide to
donate as much or as little as they want to support one they find interesting.

The artists benefit from seeing how viable or interesting their idea really is
before they decide to follow through on them. And the donors typically get a
memento or are somehow incorporated into the project. For example, one project
involved a women sending a postcard from around the world every day for 365
days. If you donated to her cause, not only did you help out financially, but
you provide one of the 365 addresses and in turn receive one of the postcards!

Projects have ranged from new restaurants, world travel, movies, and even open
source social networks. The homepage organizes the projects into different
categories so that they are easy to browse and each project shows how much money
is required and has been raised so far. I praise Kickstarter for helping reduce
the friction around true innovation and creativity.

jamesg240
10/18/16

We recently got funded on Kickstarter and couldn't be more pleased with the experience. The Kickstarter staff was incredibly helpful but one star off for lack of instant phone support. Other than that, we successfully launched our company thanks to Kickstarter. The best crowdfunding platform out there imo.

maxwells14
9/22/16

We had a pleasant experience crowdfunding and Kickstarter was a great partner. They are definitely strict and they asked us to change a few things (totally understandable as they want to protect their community) but setting up was easy, and getting paid afterwards was a breeze. Anytime we had questions they were fairly quick, my only wish is that they had phone support.

johnb676
8/21/16

Approximately FIVE years waiting for an item I invested in. I have notified Kickstarter that I have NEVER received item. The first 2 request were greeted with a call they made to the "group" conducting it. The guys called me back with apologies and said they have a special run made for supporters.... TWICE!!!!! Never recieved Anything.
Get back a response together that they NOW they don't have any record of the transaction. Again that is after THEY notified the merchant TWICE.
NOW they are lying because they don't want to follow through looking for transaction. But they have MY money. No accountability!!!! Stall!!!! Lies!!!!.
Their brilliant technique is to lie/delay and than to punish you with requesting ALL necessary documentation.
I do think they are criminals. NEVER AGAIN! Its all bull$#*!!

samuelb53
8/2/16

I backed six projects and three of them never delivered the product. Only two comic book projects delved a solid product. A USB cable immediately broke and the lifetime guarantee doesn't mean anything. The other two products never delivered anything, they just took the money and that was that.

leroyr18
7/24/16

I have been making soft plastic baits for a few years when I decided to go on kickstarter to try to expand and hire a disabled vet to help the response I got was o.oo money pledges. 1 guy that would get my message out there for a price. I am a vet trying to get by and thought if I could help a disabled vet along the way that would be a worthy cause. I guess people don't care about vets or disabled vets. Don't waist your time here.

leonidz
5/22/16

I am shocked by the amount of reviewers complaining that the project they backed was delayed. Get real. Kickstarter is not a store, you know. You are not buying a product, you are investing in a project. You are taking a risk. Some projects can be delayed or even fail, because their founders failed to predict all the complexities of bringing an innovative product to the market - and there are many. It may or may not be the fault of the project creators, but in any case it's not Kickstarter's fault. Kickstarter is a great place to fund great ideas, just understand what you are doing.

kente6
5/10/16

I tried to raise money for a memorial for my family who lost their lives in a family house fire. The set-up for the campaign looked to be going great. Great feedback from everyone, too. Until Kickstarter reviewed it and accused me of raising money for "food, personal expenses and pleasure travel"?? I appealed. Their answer was the same. Then I asked around, all across the Internet. EVERYONE informed me that Kickstarter will ONLY help finance leftwing media concerns, projects to "better life" in communist nations and industrial idea theft for mass-producers in communist nations. I never would have dreamed this. BUYER BEWARE AND BE WARNED TO ALL WHO ATTEMPT KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGNS!! Kickstarter is a leftwing idea-theft scam front site for communist nation concerns and communist nation silent-partner owners. DO NOT EVER SPEND YOUR MONEY ON KICKSTARTER!! BUYER BEWARE!!

debbiem78
5/2/16

Buyer beware! I joined the Kickstarter campaign for the Coolest Cooler July, 2014. After numerous email explaining that they were re-engineering, over engineering the original product, manufacturing problems, and delays, and now hitting us up for extra money to expedite our rewards because they've run out of money and need to find more, and on and on, and on! I still do not have my reward TWO years later, and there is no end in sight because they're not sure where the money's going to come from. They've even suggested they will sell them retail before I get mine!

Per emails from Kickstart to me about this situation, there is no support or protection offered by them, no accountability for project initiators to be their word to their backers. Projects and commitments *could* never be fulfilled, or worse yet completely bogus, and we are on our own. Nice out for Kickstarter, but bad for backers.

I have done smaller projects, and they've turned out fine, but this one is a blow-out bummer, and there's no help for it.

sharonl61
3/17/16

Like most people out there, I thought Kickstarter had such a noble agenda and what a cool platform that helps making ideas happen. Last August I found two campaigns and I really liked their products. So I pledged. I spent $268 to buy two jackets from Baubax and $40 on 4 small devices from AwareCar. They both claimed to arrive in November. Guess what? Both projects delayed their production and shipment time. Ok, I get it, those are entrepreneurs who make their products for the first time. So I was being very patient. I waited and waited, received a series of announcement and emails from the project owners that the products were coming together. Last month I finally received the 4 devices from AwareCar with joy, and immediately tried it. Whoops, it only worked for 3 days. Two devices died, simply didn't get turned on. With great disappointment I reached out to the project owner, he asked me to replace the battery. I'm like what?? I need to buy new battery for a product I barely used. I won't spend a dime on this stupid product. And so for the Baubax jackets, it's been 6 months now, PRODUCTS NEVER ARRIVE. My patience has it limit. Here I am, wasted $300+ on Kickstarter where they absolutely do nothing to help backers.

Besides being a victim myself, I also heard so many bad experiences from other people. The site is full of crappy products/projects, or campaigns that seem so cool but product delays or never arrive. You end up losing money and Kickstarter takes their commission. Stay away folks!

ralpha16
3/10/16

you contribute and are told you will get the product at a certain time frame...but then there are issues...months go by. communications are lacking....nothing. contact kickstarter to complain about the product being late, no comm and then you find out the product is being sold online for the same price you contributed.. promised incentives of being a contributor is zilch. except the waste of time of writing and waiting to get your promised product. kickstarter responded with an email for me to rate the service...yep. that is all i got from them. they don't care. another product i got broke when i tried to use, and promised a replacement...never came. and the final one i contributed, has not shipped yet although others have the product. communications are poor. i feel why bother with this, the incentives are not worth it. save your money, purchase the item when it is really available.

teed14
2/10/16

SUCK - DON'T WAST YOUR ON TIME ON KICKSTARTER IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BIG HUGH FOLLOWING ALREADY.

What I means is, if you think your just going to place your Idea on KS and think people are going to back you (that a big mistake), if you think KS is going to promote you (that a big mistake), so way do you think you need KS - YOU DON'T!

KS wants 3% of your founding but does nothing for it, you do all the work 100%, you would be better off just making a website and having your fan base or your following just go there to invest.

You will see like i did , once you place your ad on KS you we be overwhelmed with Spamming emails asking for money, money,money,money, not wanting to invest but asking for money, money,money,money, telling you that they can help found your project up to 80% from anywhere from $99.99 to $1500. then some of them wont 7% of the top of your founding, scammer all of them trying to suck your money out of your pocket.

I got about 70 email all from different companies, saying the same exact thing on their website, say the same exact thing in their emails, Charging high rate's for placing paid ads a google and Facebook in your behalf, NOTE: just do it your self if your going to spend the money you don't need them at all.

Just like the promotion companies did when the SEO bull $#*! hot ( be at the top of google) bra bra bra bla take it from me I run a full business on the Internet and I have heard and see it all.

I hope this help !

raymontm
2/2/16

When people hear the word "crowdfunding", the first thing they think of is Kickstarter. They do a good job screening the submissions in making sure the quality of project on their platform at a higher standard. While there has been users whos projects are often rejected, they have been very effective overall as they are the clear leader in both artistic and tech projects. They helped my Raytoons project get off the ground.

Tip for consumers: Make sure to include plenty of videos, pictures, and information about your project. My examples are here: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/raytoons

tinan12
1/27/16

I have at present (jan 2016) a KS project, which started out ok, but after a few days, I got no pledges, and am way too far from my goal which is heart breaking. I have worked so hard on my artwork and writing for my own tarot deck. That's 78 pieces of art! I looked at other tarot projects that have raised dollars, that is to say American, but I am in UK and feel the other side of the pond has more backers for locals. Disapppointed, but will get it published, even if I have to save up for one single deck for meeee.

1 rating was submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the KickStarter staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question