Review of Writing.com

Tel: 877-262-0300
support@writing.com

jonathanl173
11/28/18

Scam that forces you to pay for the only feature of the site anyone likes by living about server load.

celiaf10
11/28/18

writing.com is a must for any writer - doesn't matter if you're an amateur or a grizzled professional - this place will help you keep improving your skill stay motivated.

debrai11
9/8/18

I am querying now to publish my MG/fiction book. I credit Writing.com and the wonderful writers here for helping me gain the confidence to push forward and start writing seriously. Love, Love, love it!

stephenl215
9/4/18

Let me count the ways, if only a few.

I've always felt that Facebook was partly pointless and decidedly dangerous. But social networking with a vital creative interest at heart answers both objections.

This is a much more civil place than Facebook. The Golden Rule applies in ways that we all understand.

This is a genuine place. Figuratively, everything is shipped in an open box.

This is a focused place. Who comes here comes to write.

This is a user-oriented place. Features are features, not revenue re-direct opportunities or bugs respun.

This is a mature place. The different spaces, from e-mail to newsfeeds to forums to portfolios and beyond are integrated tightly and logically.

This is a technically sophisticated place. Pages load cleanly and completely. Mark-up language techniques are fully exploited, while processing language techniques are kept the absolute minimum.

Michelangelo once said something about "hewing away the excess until the object was revealed". (Of course that's a paraphrase. Michelangelo spoke Latin.) In sculpting this website, the StoryMaster shows how to grow marble into an object.

ruthr97
9/4/18

Joining Writing.Com this past year has truly jump-started my writing! I now write daily, enter contests, get and give reviews, receive feedback, increase confidence due to contest successes, network, and much more! As the helpful and inspiring site celebrates its impressive eighteen birthday/anniversary, I created a list of 18 of the many ways it encourages writers and has benefited me:
18) So many writing resources provided
17) Great advice from reviews
16) Opportunities to grow as a writer by reading others' work more frequently
15) Opportunities to grow as a writer by giving detailed reviews of others' work
14) Practice in brevity, which I need desperately, in flash fiction contests
13) Practice in 'showing' more than 'telling' through newsletters and contests such as "The Taboo Words Contest"
12) Connecting with other retired teachers who are also using their additional available time to pursue their writing interests
11) Newsletters (and archives) related to Short Stories
10) Newsletters (and archives) related to Mystery writing
9) WdC makes an exerted effort to reach out to "Newbies" ... this has made a big difference in my first year here
8) I have been motivated to try different genres (and even got a first place in one contest after this risk-taking!)
7) Builds confidence
6) Gets otherwise isolated writers out of their vacuum
5) SO many opportunities in so many contests!
4) Newsletters (and archives) related to Poetry
3) Encourages us all to thank others, show appreciation, award and highlight great works, and to pass on that encouragement
2) WDC provides links to other resources such as Writer's Digest, outside contests, publishing, tips, and much more!
1) Inspires me, finally, to write every day!!!

stevent165
8/15/18

this place has helped me with my writing troubles and dilemmas, from poetry to short stories and even the odd essay.

jamesf490
8/14/18

The site is very large and complicated. It's been around a long time with lots of members. So it's easy to get lost amongst everything. But the community is OK and if you just want to post some writing then it's great.

michaels1573
8/6/18

The best writing community I know of. Could build community more, but I see you are trying. Need to have more reviews and back and forth communication

jonathanp101
8/1/18

I love writing.com but there is only one thing that makes me hate it and it's the resource limitations thing. If you don't like spending that I would go to this website because it happened to overload in the servers and only members get to bypass it.

daryak9
7/22/18

I've enjoyed the community feel of writing.com, the dedication of its members, and the opportunity to read the work of others. It is also a great venue for having others read my work.

annikb
6/30/18

I like this place to learn more about writing. It also a good place to practice writing. For me, it is a good start. For now, it fill my needs.

wineskac
6/23/18

The BEST community for writers!!!
I love writing.com because more than a site or space to write it's a family away from home. The community members help you so much. You grow as a writer by reading their comments and reviews on your writings. By participating in challenges you train yourself to be better and follow a deadline which is so helpful when you are working on a writing project and you need to meet a deadline. It also helps you deal with situations in which you need to be heard and gives you the freedom to state your own opinions. It's also safe and free of bullying and other kind of scenarios you see in other sites. It's not just a writing platform, it's definitely all you need to get from 0 to being a great writer, if you take it seriously and accept positive criticism, writing advices, follow deadlines and respect others as they respect you and your work. It's the best training there is, while you have fun and make friends.
If you love to write, no matter if you want to make a carreer, a hobby or just wanna have fun and meet some other writers like you, look no more! This is the place!!! Writing.com. my home away from home!

murrayi1
6/18/18

The sense of community and support is surpassed by none. With someone there 24/7, you will always find a friendly companion to help with your writing challenges. I have been a member of this community for over 10 years and will continue to support it into the future.

kellieb22
6/4/18

This site brings readers, writers, and reviewers together! I have been a member of this site since 2008 and enjoyed every minute of it!

veronicay4
5/29/18

I am a long time member of the site. I have found it to be a community of very helpful fellow writers and reviewers. I have made long term friends there. My writing has improved. There is always so much to do. It is a great site for both young and older folks. One can be super active or more of an observer. I think tne site owners are awesome people with continuing new, fun ideas. I recommend the site for writers, reviewers, and other community minded people

clairej26
5/26/18

I have been a member for quite a few years now. In the past I was so active that I was a preferred author and a moderator for awhile. Now, I just really enjoy reading and rating and reviewing other author's works as well as writing short stories for contests and working on my novel. They have so many helpful articles and forums for aspiring authors. They also have fun activites and contests. The other site members are helpful, honest and supportive. A wonderful site for writers and readers alike.

angelod28
5/21/18

I have been a member of writing.com for 8 years. I can't compare WDC to other writing sites because once I found WDC I didn't feel the need to go anywhere else. The site does sell T-shirts {I own two} as well as other branded items, but I have never felt pressured to buy anything, and I have never seen a promotion or ad for any of the things they sell. Buying something in their shop is a way to help support the site, nothing more.
I have made many friends on the site and the help I've received from other writers over the years has been invaluable to my growth as a writer. I came to WDC with very little writing knowledge, and now I've had 9 short stories published in magazines and anthologies.
Reviews are important to writers, and yes, some reviews are not helpful, but most of the reviews I've received have been quality critiques that have helped me to improve my writing.
The site is easy to navigate, and I have yet to meet anyone there who would not help in any way they could. If you have a question about writing, whether the question is about copyright laws, the technical aspects of writing, or just looking for ideas, you'll be able to get accurate answers to your questions. The members are come from all other the world and they have at least one thing in common, a love of writing.
Contests: Anyone can create a contest on the site, and while you do have to be a paid member to enter the monthly site-sponsored contests, the cost for a basic membership is only $19.95 a YEAR. There are groups on the site that help pay for memberships for those members who can't afford to pay themselves.
The site's currency, gift points, can only be used on the site, but if a member is active and enters contests he/she can earn enough points to pay for their yearly membership as well as the site's branded items.
Some sitejabber reviews have mentioned that they don't receive many reviews; you can't expect to join the site, post a few stories or poems in your portfolio and then sit back and wait for the reviews to roll in. By being active on the site, you are in effect promoting your own work,. The activities are almost endless; contests, groups for nearly every interest, forums, classes, are all ways to be active and have fun while learning. Besides, if you don't give reviews to other writers why complain that you're not receiving reviews?
Writing dot com has become my writing home away from home.

alfredb33
5/15/18

As a poet here at WritingDotCom there are not enough serious opportunities for truly improving my writing abilities. I learned quite a bit in my beginning years, but I have reached a plateau when I compare my writing with other sites and poetry magazines.

julied174
5/11/18

I first found Writing.Com when it was still called Stories.Com. I have been a loyal member ever since and have loved it. The people that run the site are amazing, as are the members. There are so many great groups to join and a great deal of support. Whether you're a writer that wants to hone or share your talent or a person who just loves to read (or both!!), Writing.Com is the place to be. There are no pressure free memberships and paid memberships. I've been an upgraded member for years and, even when I'm not actively writing on the site, I still maintain my membership, partly because I love keeping all my things in an online portfolio, but mainly to keep supporting Writing.Com financially so they can continue to be the site for writers and readers alike to spend their time. The website is set up in a lovely format that is easy to navigate. It is easy to gain exposure for your writing. There is also a currency in Writing.Com called gift points, or gps, that members can send to each other as thank you's or kudos, and can use to purchase digital awardicons for pieces that they particularly enjoy. So, in the words of this great website, Write on!

daves382
5/6/18

Stimulating activities, supportive folks, and anything else a writer could ask for, from novice to expert, right there in one place.

seanfeara
5/6/18

I have to say that I've been on and off with writing.com but all in all, it is one of my favorite outlets with creativity and words. I have to admit that from my side, I didn't give much time to explore the many many options and tools in this website, but I know they are there. I use it mainly to post poems (and in few times before I did post other articles and stories), so in that venue it is just enough for me.

josephs387
Joseph S.
4/30/18

Look, it's not full of graphics, and fonts, and crazy stuff. It sets a goal, and executes it flawlessly. The focus on the words is what Writing.com is all about, and it makes no excuses on fulfilling that mission. Join, explore, contribute, participate, take your time, savor the incredible depth and breadth of contributions from their writers. You won't be disappointed.

jamesh823
4/22/18

I've been a member of this website for 8 years. It's an incredible community with excellent resources for writers of all genres/levels of experience. The activities and forums are helpful and inclusive and the staff is always available which adds a nice personal touch. If you are a writer, I cannot recommend this site enough.

jackied85
4/17/18

I love this site. There are people who will help you navigate the site and we are a community rather than a mere website. The only downside is getting reviews. This I found very hard at first and, to some extent, still find it difficult. This is the only site I know where you get out as much as you put in, though. They have this great ranking system and the powers to be recognize members who go way beyond their grade. I would recommend this site to anyone who loves to write. In my opinion, it is the best site around and would get a five all the way except for the review snag.

jadec21
4/16/18

I've been writing most of my life but pretty much kept it to myself, even though I wanted to publish. In 2013 I somehow managed to find Writing.com and joined, and frankly since then I've let writing be my life (when I'm not working, of course).

For the first time I had fellow writers to talk to, including about non-standard genres, I found friends, and I got my work critiqued. I felt re-enthused about my writing and felt validated that writing isn't a stupid past-time. I run contests myself and judge and review others and so have broadened by whole writing horizon. I even write short stories which weren't in my vocab before!

Writing.com saved my writing life and I will never regret joining (or paying for a membership). I'm publishing my first novel this June and I'm happy to credit the community at writing.com - the professionals, staff, and total amateurs - for helping me get there.

Notwithstanding the actual writing side, the site's easy and fun to use, and the staff a great to deal with and listen to user issues, complaints and wish lists.

Tip for consumers: It's a big site with a lot of members who write every type of thing under the sun. Don't be overwhelmed. Introduce yourself on the newbie page and go from there.

The simplest and most honest answer to this is simply that we, as a site that allows authors to post work, can not possibly stop someone from copying something they've read online and trying to use it as their own. The question you have to ask yourself, more so, is whether or not that's likely to happen. If you feel your work is up to the level that someone could just take it and get it published -- then certainly you should not be joining a writing community to improve your skills -- you should instead be out getting your work published. From our 15 years of experience, having had tens of thousands of authors post work to Writing.Com, we've never heard from anyone that their work has been stolen from our site and published by someone else. I hope this answer helps!

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

The answer is 0. Spending has nothing to do with promotions on Writing.Com. The qualifications for promotion include reviewing and interaction on the site, along with minimum amounts of time on the site. The full qualifications are listed in "Writing.Com 101" which is linked from the top of each page. Promotions are made manually, however... and Writing.Com is a literal "Mom and Pop shop" -- two people. Active members in our community also know that our 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia the first week of September, so they know that this type of manual promotion is not something we have time to take care of right now. We'll be back to it as we work through and manage our family health issues.

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

It hasn't been down at all, so this is a difficult question to answer. :-)

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Hello, If I'm understanding the question... you're asking about benefits of our Preferred Author promotion? You are correct in that promotion is recognition within the community more than anything else. There are some ancillary benefits, such as message forums and activities available only to certain portfolio levels, plus certain times where we request the input and/or participation of higher levels within the community. Our Moderators are only chosen from well established Preferred Authors. In addition, higher portfolio levels earn an increased number of Gift Points for logging in each day. A list of the various portfolio levels within Writing.Com: https://www.writing.com/main/books/action/view/entry_id/700363 Qualifications for Promotion to Preferred Author: https://www.writing.com/main/books/action/view/entry_id/700364 Qualifications for Promotion to Moderator: https://www.writing.com/main/books/action/view/entry_id/700392 I hope this helps! ~~SM

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Hello! No, Writing.Com is a community for writers looking to improve their skills by meeting and mingling with other writers. We do not hire writers nor do we have a jobs posting area.

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Very likely, yes. :-) Writing.Com is not a publishing venue, we're a community for writers to meet, mingle and exchange feedback.

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Hello, No, we do not have with "landing pages". It sounds like you're looking for a search engine placement company and that's not what we are. Good luck!

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Hello, When you are logged in, at the top right of each page, you'll find a "Get Started" link as well as a "Writing.Com 101" link. These are both the best places to help you get started using the site. If you look those over and still have questions, you'll also find a "Need Help?" link in the same area... click that and drop a post in our support forum. We have a lot of members and volunteers ready and willing to lend you a hand!

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Here's a complete list of our membership types and the features included with each... https://www.writing.com/main/handler/item_id/688627-Compare-Free-and-Paid-Membership-Benefits

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

I can answer only from my own experience. I came within a post or two of deletion. I got a full hearing, but the upshot is that the site has a standard of civility that may not be violated. This saves writing.com from degenerating into chaos. Certain members of high standing remain reserved to my postings. But I have also forged new contacts and received fair credit for my efforts. Something had to give. I did. No regrets.

By Stephen L.
Questions? Get answers from the Writing.com staff and other customers.

13 Photos for Writing.com