Review of Writing.com

Tel: 877-262-0300
support@writing.com

johnw1687
6/19/19

Everyone else said it. This site is a scam. Interactive stories cost money to read, but no other website does this. The server load is a lie. If a page says the server load is too high and you can't access it, someone next to you can access that very page if they use the link.

Can we not watch video ads for reading credit? What about having a premium service to users while leaving interactive stories FREE to non paying users? You can even have a fast lane for premium users to incentivize it instead of making in next to impossible to access it. The content is pretty good, but The price is equivalent to a third of a years worth of PlayStation Plus.

There is no excuse for the state of this site, the owner needs to make big changes. As it stands this an above average interactive story site, with a big paywall. Nearly any other site is better.

shiekhm
5/31/19

This is the one and only website which I have trust on it. I'm happy from this because it provide us such a nice and valuable, products and information which I need everytime

tinag279
5/13/19

No bad things to say on using this website. No complaints and satisfied even as a member. Thanks to website I have a new hobbie.

laurier88
5/6/19

If you're looking to improve your writing skills, network with fellow authors, read new & interesting stories & poetry, or just share your work with your peers, this is the place for you.

Getting started takes minutes, and is incredibly easy.

On my first night, I'd uploaded three stories and received six incredibly helpful reviews.

A wonderfully supportive community, an easily navigated site containing a plethora of useful tools; the most constructive environment online for aspiring writers

I can't recommend this site enough!

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Thank you very much! :-)
daynaf5
4/28/19

This site has provide a vibrant and continuous flow of ideas, prompts, suggestion and opportunities for writers both young and old to critique each other. Gain exposure by sharing works. It's a natural beta reader site, as anyone can post, receive reviews and experience how their work will be received.

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Thanks! We appreciate your kind words. :-)
lynnt97
4/11/19

I happened onto Writing.com so many years ago now and have found it to be my home away from home and go to place. I have made some dear friends here, gotten excellent help when I've asked questions and in general people are friendly, ready to read and review, provide constructive criticism. An excellent place to come to work on your writing! I have not been disappointed.
I have ordered from their shop and loved the items I received. I use their large WDC coffee mug and it is sturdy, large size and exactly what I was looking for, things are packed well, never received anything broken. As well I order their T-shirts which are nice to wear, I use my for lounge and love them! I plan to stay around here for a long, long, time!

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Thank you... We're glad you found WDC!
sharmelleo
4/8/19

I was a little disappointed that there were two items that I could not order. It says items are unavailable.

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Sorry to disappoint Sharmelle. As I noted via email back to you earlier, those two products in our Shop are noted as discontinued. As such, they are simply no longer available for us to sell.
billw348
4/7/19

Here's a great site to sharpen writing skills, have fun, & meet folks w/ similar artistic interests.

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Thank you very much! :-)
maryj770
4/7/19

I have been a member for 7 years. As with any good site it continues to charge membership fees based on the level of support you need and to support the website. It is good site for learning how to improve your writing craft with supportive feedback from its members. The site also provide many reference materials to help with writing, editing and markets.

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Thank you very much! :-)
benl158
4/7/19

In the eleven years I've been a paying member of Writing.com, I have progressed from a novice just figuring out how to write stories and poems to a traditionally published author. The site encourages support, critiques, and contests, and manages to be a safe place for self expression without allowing the kinds of a abusive behaviors that plague many social networks and communities.

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Thank you very much! :-)
jimh489
4/4/19

Writing.com, in my opinion, is the premier website for writers.

It's more than a place where authors hang out, give reviews and ratings of each others work. It's home.

The owners of the website, the StoryMaster and the StoryMistress go above and beyond what is expected of them to offer a site that nurtures the budding author or poet.

This website has limited free access, but that is to be expected. It is a business, and pay to use is to be expected. It's been my experience that most admin ARE nice and helpful. It helps to know what to expect. I've been a paying member for almost four years now and I love it.

Highly recommended!

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Thank you! :-)
karenh634
4/1/19

I have been a (very pleased) member of Writing.com since November, 2011, and the site just keeps getting better! While I would certainly recommend it to authors who seek helpful, honest reviews of their work, I would also recommend it to readers and to folks who just need some inspiration.

I love to write, but I don't aspire to be a professional author. One thing I love about the WDC community is that your reason for being there is not questioned. I was instantly welcomed into the community, and I have made many lifelong friends. The site owner regularly interacts with the members and works hard to ensure that each member is able to make the most of all the site has to offer.

As an attorney, I tend to shy away from social media. It seems that every time I sign into Facebook, I am bombarded with people seeking free legal advice or getting friend requests from clients. So, I go to Writing.com, where I can read, write, review, and chat, yet nothing is ever expected from me.

Writing.com costs absolutely nothing. I had free account for quite awhile and was very satisfied. I have since switched to a paid account, not because I felt that I had to, but because I wanted to expand my portfolio. Also, I realize the costs to maintain such an elaborate website, and I want to do what I can to support and maintain the site.
I'm very surprised that there are any negative reviews of Writing.com. I would highly recommend it to any writers and/or readers and anyone who wants to be a part of a warm and wonderful community.

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Thank you! :-)
joem655
3/28/19

The admins are lying about the server load. They are forcing users to pay for the one service (interactive stories) that is actually popular. They censor criticism of it and act very passive aggressive. Do not use this website for interactive stories.

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
We will agree to disagree.

Good luck with your writing!
joet255
3/2/19

I have wanted to improve my writing skills. I checked out some online classes, etc. I came across Writing.com by chance while searching for online resources. It is a very helpful site. You can get good quality, constructive reviews of your work. There are many helpful resources. Many are free. The members made me feel like a part of the community from the start. I would recommend Writing.com for anyone who wants to write, and also for people who just want to read some very good work.

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
Thank you, Joe!
tyrah3
2/28/19

I would not suggest this. You see, this site is, basically, a pay to use site. Most of the admins aren't particularly nice . It's quite restrictive and one is isn't allowed to post more than ten things unless you pay. I didn't stay there long.

In short, there are other writing websites, worth your time.

Response from Story M., Writing.com Representative
I appreciate your feedback. We've taken a different approach than the "free" sites that aren't really "free". By now, everyone knows there is a COST to everything. Everyone knows that "free" means they sell your information to pay for the service! Nothing is "free". Look at all the scandals at Facebook, Google and on and on. Read the business plans of the larger "free" sites. They are NOT charities. Some smaller sites may be NOT selling your information in which case: The site is just a hobby for the admin(s). Hobbies don't last forever and don't be surprised when you log in one day to find the site owner has moved on to something more worth their own time.

To each their own. :-) We've been online providing our services since 2000 -- celebrating our 19th year online serving writers coming up in September! There are few (if any) truly "free" sites that can make sure statements! For less than a cup of coffee per month, we offer a remarkably stable environment for folks serious about their writing.

Where ever you may end up, we sincerely wish you the best with your writing endeavors.
jonathanl173
11/28/18

Scam that forces you to pay for the only feature of the site anyone likes by lying about server load.

celiaf10
11/28/18

writing.com is a must for any writer - doesn't matter if you're an amateur or a grizzled professional - this place will help you keep improving your skill stay motivated.

debrai11
9/8/18

I am querying now to publish my MG/fiction book. I credit Writing.com and the wonderful writers here for helping me gain the confidence to push forward and start writing seriously. Love, Love, love it!

stephenl215
9/4/18

Let me count the ways, if only a few.

I've always felt that Facebook was partly pointless and decidedly dangerous. But social networking with a vital creative interest at heart answers both objections.

This is a much more civil place than Facebook. The Golden Rule applies in ways that we all understand.

This is a genuine place. Figuratively, everything is shipped in an open box.

This is a focused place. Who comes here comes to write.

This is a user-oriented place. Features are features, not revenue re-direct opportunities or bugs respun.

This is a mature place. The different spaces, from e-mail to newsfeeds to forums to portfolios and beyond are integrated tightly and logically.

This is a technically sophisticated place. Pages load cleanly and completely. Mark-up language techniques are fully exploited, while processing language techniques are kept the absolute minimum.

Michelangelo once said something about "hewing away the excess until the object was revealed". (Of course that's a paraphrase. Michelangelo spoke Latin.) In sculpting this website, the StoryMaster shows how to grow marble into an object.

ruthr97
9/4/18

Joining Writing.Com this past year has truly jump-started my writing! I now write daily, enter contests, get and give reviews, receive feedback, increase confidence due to contest successes, network, and much more! As the helpful and inspiring site celebrates its impressive eighteen birthday/anniversary, I created a list of 18 of the many ways it encourages writers and has benefited me:
18) So many writing resources provided
17) Great advice from reviews
16) Opportunities to grow as a writer by reading others' work more frequently
15) Opportunities to grow as a writer by giving detailed reviews of others' work
14) Practice in brevity, which I need desperately, in flash fiction contests
13) Practice in 'showing' more than 'telling' through newsletters and contests such as "The Taboo Words Contest"
12) Connecting with other retired teachers who are also using their additional available time to pursue their writing interests
11) Newsletters (and archives) related to Short Stories
10) Newsletters (and archives) related to Mystery writing
9) WdC makes an exerted effort to reach out to "Newbies" ... this has made a big difference in my first year here
8) I have been motivated to try different genres (and even got a first place in one contest after this risk-taking!)
7) Builds confidence
6) Gets otherwise isolated writers out of their vacuum
5) SO many opportunities in so many contests!
4) Newsletters (and archives) related to Poetry
3) Encourages us all to thank others, show appreciation, award and highlight great works, and to pass on that encouragement
2) WDC provides links to other resources such as Writer's Digest, outside contests, publishing, tips, and much more!
1) Inspires me, finally, to write every day!!!

stevent165
8/15/18

this place has helped me with my writing troubles and dilemmas, from poetry to short stories and even the odd essay.

jamesf490
8/14/18

The site is very large and complicated. It's been around a long time with lots of members. So it's easy to get lost amongst everything. But the community is OK and if you just want to post some writing then it's great.

michaels1573
8/6/18

The best writing community I know of. Could build community more, but I see you are trying. Need to have more reviews and back and forth communication

jonathanp101
8/1/18

I love writing.com but there is only one thing that makes me hate it and it's the resource limitations thing. If you don't like spending that I would go to this website because it happened to overload in the servers and only members get to bypass it.

daryak9
7/22/18

I've enjoyed the community feel of writing.com, the dedication of its members, and the opportunity to read the work of others. It is also a great venue for having others read my work.

The simplest and most honest answer to this is simply that we, as a site that allows authors to post work, can not possibly stop someone from copying something they've read online and trying to use it as their own. The question you have to ask yourself, more so, is whether or not that's likely to happen. If you feel your work is up to the level that someone could just take it and get it published -- then certainly you should not be joining a writing community to improve your skills -- you should instead be out getting your work published. From our 15 years of experience, having had tens of thousands of authors post work to Writing.Com, we've never heard from anyone that their work has been stolen from our site and published by someone else. I hope this answer helps!

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

The answer is 0. Spending has nothing to do with promotions on Writing.Com. The qualifications for promotion include reviewing and interaction on the site, along with minimum amounts of time on the site. The full qualifications are listed in "Writing.Com 101" which is linked from the top of each page. Promotions are made manually, however... and Writing.Com is a literal "Mom and Pop shop" -- two people. Active members in our community also know that our 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia the first week of September, so they know that this type of manual promotion is not something we have time to take care of right now. We'll be back to it as we work through and manage our family health issues.

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

It hasn't been down at all, so this is a difficult question to answer. :-)

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Hello, If I'm understanding the question... you're asking about benefits of our Preferred Author promotion? You are correct in that promotion is recognition within the community more than anything else. There are some ancillary benefits, such as message forums and activities available only to certain portfolio levels, plus certain times where we request the input and/or participation of higher levels within the community. Our Moderators are only chosen from well established Preferred Authors. In addition, higher portfolio levels earn an increased number of Gift Points for logging in each day. A list of the various portfolio levels within Writing.Com: https://www.writing.com/main/books/action/view/entry_id/700363 Qualifications for Promotion to Preferred Author: https://www.writing.com/main/books/action/view/entry_id/700364 Qualifications for Promotion to Moderator: https://www.writing.com/main/books/action/view/entry_id/700392 I hope this helps! ~~SM

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Hello! No, Writing.Com is a community for writers looking to improve their skills by meeting and mingling with other writers. We do not hire writers nor do we have a jobs posting area.

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Very likely, yes. :-) Writing.Com is not a publishing venue, we're a community for writers to meet, mingle and exchange feedback.

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Hello, No, we do not have with "landing pages". It sounds like you're looking for a search engine placement company and that's not what we are. Good luck!

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Hello, When you are logged in, at the top right of each page, you'll find a "Get Started" link as well as a "Writing.Com 101" link. These are both the best places to help you get started using the site. If you look those over and still have questions, you'll also find a "Need Help?" link in the same area... click that and drop a post in our support forum. We have a lot of members and volunteers ready and willing to lend you a hand!

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

Here's a complete list of our membership types and the features included with each... https://www.writing.com/main/handler/item_id/688627-Compare-Free-and-Paid-Membership-Benefits

By Story M., Writing.com Representative

I can answer only from my own experience. I came within a post or two of deletion. I got a full hearing, but the upshot is that the site has a standard of civility that may not be violated. This saves writing.com from degenerating into chaos. Certain members of high standing remain reserved to my postings. But I have also forged new contacts and received fair credit for my efforts. Something had to give. I did. No regrets.

By Stephen L.
Questions? Get answers from the Writing.com staff and other customers.

15 Photos for Writing.com