Tripadvisor UK

Tripadvisor UK has a consumer rating of 2.44 stars from 9 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Tripadvisor UK ranks 248th among Hotels sites.

How would you rate Tripadvisor UK?

“Glad that there is this perfect website of great travel...”

Yev L.
1/25/13

Glad that there is this perfect website of great travel information about destinations, attractions, hotels, airlines, travel agents and much more. Never have I booked a hotel without consulting TA and most of the time they are correct.

“Extremely unethical, they manipulate reviews and ratings”

Captain O.
7/11/19

Tripadvisor have extremely unethical practices and seem to be in the habit of making false and defamatory allegations and manipulating reviews and rating (just like trustpilot), presumably to the benefit of other clients who are paying for their premium services. I manage websites and SEO for clients among other things, and have a few restaurants and takeaways as clients who I manage Tripadvisor listings for. I have on multiple occasions now received the following allegation. When I ask them to provide evidence of the allegation, they have refused to do so making the ridiculous claim that they cannot provide me with information about myself due to their privacy policy. Refusing to provide me with the information they are holding about me is in breach of the freedom of information act and GDPR compliance. I have explained to them many times that I do not have any property or listing on Tripadvisor and I do not own or work for any restaurants, I am just a website designer. But they do not care and I have been forced to terminate al links/relationships with my clients on tripadvisor, because their unethical actions were affecting my client's listings and rankings. I have since lodged a complaint with the ICO about this and their refusal to provide the data/evidence to prove their allegation, and they have also blatantly lied to the ICO as well, claiming they have sent me this information which they of course have not. -- To whom it may concern, It has come to our attention that individuals affiliated with your organization may have submitted unfavourable reviews of your competitors with the intent to manipulate property rankings on TripAdvisor. This is strictly against TripAdvisor policy and is against the law in many jurisdictions. Reviews found to be in violation of our guidelines have been removed from our site. Please discontinue any attempts to subvert our system immediately. Penalties have been issued to your listing and TripAdvisor is now actively monitoring your property for further submissions which violate our policies. Penalties may include: Reducing your ranking in the TripAdvisor popularity index Posting a large red penalty notice on your listing Excluding your listing from TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice awards, top 10 lists, press releases, etc. TripAdvisor takes attempts to manipulate our service very seriously. While we are deeply committed to preventing bias in our content, we will also work with properties who wish to remedy issues of this nature on their listing. The first step in this process is for property owners to speak with their staff and third-party vendors (e.g. Webmasters, social media agents, SEO specialists, etc.) asking about their activity on TripAdvisor and ensuring that they are aware of our guidelines and policies. Sincerely, TripAdvisor Support Team, Content Integrity

ryanc8
July 21st, 2011

I find this site really helpful, if you travel abroad then this place is worth checking before you book your hols, i recommend it to everyone.

russm21
July 11th, 2019

To whom it may concern,

Reducing your ranking in the TripAdvisor popularity index
Posting a large red penalty notice on your listing

Sincerely,

TripAdvisor Support Team, Content Integrity

jeanr22
August 11th, 2016

What does Verified mean? The person leaving the review has ACTUALLY stayed in the hotel they are reviewing. What checks are there to ensure this? NONE. Many people put honest reviews on TA, but a growing number of people put reviews on to boost their own business ratings - they will get friends and family to put reviews on and at worst put bad reviews on their competitors sites. This abuse of a laudable ideal is not everywhere but enough of a problem to skew perceptions. Check other sites as well to get a broader view, do not entirely trust TA.

vladimiry
November 21st, 2016

Below is personal (alas, objective enough) opinion born of close indepth study of the site, regarding the essence rather than the page design and navigation. To start with, the control of int'l tourism and travel is already an overcrowded idea with number of better realized projects. What undermines the TA is the proverbial "getting something for nothing" as the project's stuff has been levelling the argument where it hardly applies - to the contributors. While for many travelers it's fun to leave (an inapt/amateurish/superficial) comment on the experienced tourist enterprise - the option clearly makes way for abuse, for generated/biased/contrived ones. The corporate Russian site tripadvisor.ru is, for that matter, particularly conspicuous for some unlikely "opinions" (hailing Moscow eateries and hotels for no good reason)... not to mention the mis-spelt site address... Apparently, what is called for are genuine traveler impressions laid with intelligence. Honesty, conviction and, not least, imagery. If you will, a novelist/reporter approach would work to define those there opinions from the competition. As wisely put by one forumist, TA seem stuck too deep to break free which they'd love to. They are missing the heat for cooking the fish real crisp. They ban aspirations of a deserving contributor - mistaking the quality for quantity of reviews... which they unwisely encourage. No wonder those are hardly trusted nor memorable.

arthurr17
July 25th, 2014

I used tripadvisor to get a hostel for my vacation on Greece. I will stay 3 days (2 nights) in Mykonos island and then go to Athens. Using tripadvisor.co.uk I found a place nammed Hotel Mina, in Mykonos. Still in tripadvisor, I checked the location, pictures, ratings, comments, compared it with other accommodations and made my decision. I was then directed to booking.com, BUT not to "Hotel Mina"! I was redirected to "Hotel Mina's" (one "s" of difference in the name), I choose my room and made my payment.
The problem is "Hotel Mina'S" is in another island! Now I'm going to Mykonos on Tuesday (29/07/2014) and I don't have a place to stay. Checked the prices for the cheaper available hostel and it's more than double of what they were when I booked. I contacted TripAdvisor and they told me to try to get a refund with Booking.com and that "We aren't affiliated with the hotels listed on our site and unfortunately we wouldn't be able to help you with a lower price on a hotel in Mykonos." (translation: It's our fault, but f**k you).

stephaniem59
May 21st, 2015

Yes the reviews are great and helpful but did you know that if you book holiday accommodation through holiday lettings from trip advisor you are paying an extra 9% which is added on to the advertisers cost of accommodation and the advertiser is paying 3% on top of that? Maybe read the reviews then go direct to the advertisers but you will have to search as holiday lettings ban the advertiser from sending you their e-mail or website unless they pay them an annual fee.

yevl
January 25th, 2013

davidg306
August 17th, 2016

I have been using tripadvisor.co.uk a lot to search for reviews about places I wanted to visit. After a while, when I became a member and started to share my own real experiences I found out that they block some of the reviews, mainly those about bad experiences in Hotels. I have been told that they offer the owner the possibility to block a review. Obviously I have cancelled my account with them and I encourage people not to trust in the reviews as they do not reflect the variety of customers real experiences

jop186
May 12th, 2014

TRIP ADVISOR and Flipkey -FRAUD
I booked apartment in central London via Tripadvisor paying also for their "peace of mind policy" insurance (88 $). I gave visa card number and instead of blocking money on my account they collected it immediately.
I tried to contact the owner Martin C., I wrote him several times on his e-mail stated on flipkey but he did not respond. So I called the number provided in booking and man picked up: he said that I got the wrong number, that he is Martin indeed but he does not rent any apartments...
I tried to find property on flipkey or trip advisor but... It was not listed anymore... They removed it as they "found out that this individual does not have right to rent those apartments" but they were happy to keep my money on tripadvisor account (quite profitable business if you think about number of clients) and they didn't bother to inform me about the situation!
I contacted flipkey and they said they will "cancel" my booking of non-existing property and return me money. I got 1 day to find a hotel in London and I do not have to mention that prices were overwhelming.
Trip advisor returned my money (US$2358. 00) after 10 days (payment on 4.04, return on my account on 18.04) but... I am from Poland so to my horror I noticed that I miss 910,47 PLN (about 300 $, which is actually half of my monthly salary) - there was the spread!
I paid the insurance so of course I complained to tripadvisor to give me back that difference: without any result, they said that they reimbursed fee in full (so even if that was totally their fault, I had to bear the cost of this transaction. Their insurance is obviously meaningless. Contact with support desk is not so easy and stress I had trying to find accommodation for 5 people just before departure was terrible.
It is a disgrace for renown service to behave like this. So: never ever again!
Summary:
- seek other agencies DO NOT book via Trip advisor or Flipkey, - they do not take any responsibility of whatsoever they advertise, just your double fees you are paying
-never give them your card number- they do not block money like booking.com but collect it and keep on own account. They call it safe way- think for yourself for whom it is safe and profitable. Pay after arrival and if it is not possible, seek other accommodation (that was advice from their support desk 1 day before my departure, when money for my hotel in London were still on their account!)
-do not bother with this insurance- it is worthless- they said it covers up to 10.000 $ but just try to get something of cost you paid (actually they should also give me back money for my hotel- it was much more than cost of this apartment)

Questions? Get answers from the Tripadvisor UK staff and other customers.

World's Largest Travel Site. 600 million+ unbiased traveler reviews. Search 200+ sites to find the best hotel prices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tripadvisor UK?

Have a question about Tripadvisor UK?