TradeMe NZ

Ratings On Other Platforms

Trustpilot
1.3 / 5

TradeMe NZ has a consumer rating of 1.48 stars from 75 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about TradeMe NZ most frequently mention customer service, buyer protection and bank account problems. TradeMe NZ ranks 105th among Auction sites.

No positive highlights yet

• The worst customer service i have probably ever experienced in my life!
How would you rate TradeMe NZ?

“My experience with TM.”

John S.
6/16/19

Aside from the scams that (apparently) happen, the website itself is actually quite presentable and thoroughly easy to navigate, while it's not anything really special to look at, the focus is buying and selling items and it's worked fine for me for the past few years, I guess trust is necessary but you can avoid dealing with suspicious people based on their "positive feedback" but I guess that's just me.

“Horrible”

Sam C.
5/12/20

Absolutly horrible customer service, just deleted my account for no reason and I am a top seller on there. I now have no way of send out parcels to people who have paid, with no way contact them about the issue. None of their phone lines are working (even the one that costs $2.30 per min) I have thousands of dollars trapped in my account that I cant get out either. Terrible thieving $#*!s.

customer service (14)
samc386
May 12th, 2020

stephens1683
August 5th, 2021

Very Disapointing, had an issue with listing;
- sent several request to them, support team, no answer
- left me in the deep end
- had 2 listings, only wanted 1, same product
- charged for 2, wanted credit and help to get sorted
- lack of response is poor
- they don't care
- happy to take my money
- unfortunately have a lot of confused buyers, due to double listings
Wish there was somewhere else to advertise with
- Disgusting service

johna909
April 1st, 2017

I live in a small rural town, and TradeMe has provided me with a convenient way to buy everything available to a big city resident from buttons to iPhones, wigs to weedkiller, without any problems. I only buy from traders with high ratings from lots of previous trades and always get great service from these traders. TradeMe's system of showing ratings of the trustworthiness of other traders stops any cheating.

A scammer got my Trademe details once and started to use my account to sell fake goods, but TradeMe's fraud team stopped it immediately.

I think the one star comments on here are all by one grouchy person who failed to follow the above precautions, and is posting the same complaint under several aliases. I have never heard anyone making these complaints. I think most people find TM pretty reliable and convenient.

donnaw693
May 12th, 2020

Worst online trading platform, Phone app is the worst. It does not show any trackings of my order, only available from desktop computer. You should consider that many people use their phone for convenience reasons, they would not check back desktop computer everyday for a tracking number.
Customer support staffs are the worst. Useless, rude and most of the time, you only receive copy and paste reply, they dont bother to read what you actually asked them. Easy money, NOOOOOOOOOOOT.

rogerh74
June 25th, 2017

I have been mainly selling on Trademe since October 2008 and have been very pleased with our business relationship. Their security system is very good, their charges are reasonable. Their listing format and options are easy to follow as is the sales page lay out. Of late I have found their freight sections a bit messy, hard to follow and would be confusing for a novice trader. I have sold close to a thousand items and bought about six items through this sight, I only deal with authenticated traders, check their feedback rating when buying, have black listed about five traders for unreasonable attitude and always stand by my product. I have been scammed once and Trademe gave me good support and actually reimbursed my losses from their own funds. All in all a very good and happy nine year relationship.

jamesw832
May 28th, 2018

I had a solid case against these buyer that put unfair feedback on my page. I even quoted from the Consumer Guarantees Act to prove that I have met up to my obligations. I was bitterly disappointed that the customer support team did not even bother to read the points but asserted that the buyer was right. This despite my clearly pointing out the buyer did not provide evidence, but word-of-mouth claims that the item I sold was faulty. Very sad. My rating is still over 99% though.

kenndyk
May 14th, 2020

Have used TradeMe for years now and the service and fees are a disgrace to say the least! Fees are ridiculous, so many limitations and poor customer service - cost $1.99 plus GST to phone call them and service which is free from most businesses. TradeMe is no longer "A place where Kiwis buy and sell" it's full of overseas junk. Your better of using Facebook marketplace which is completely free, way easier to sell on and has way less limitations - you can list phone numbers, websites and message people without being charged.

oksanaw4
December 31st, 2020

Very poor customer protection. I bought the computer as in good working condition, however the computer was faulty. I paid through the ping system, which guarantees the protection of buyers. I opened a dispute last November and the issue is still unresolved. Customer service first promised to deal with it, then said we should wait, and now they have stopped responding to my emails at all. I intend to discuss this issue in the media

rzzzx
May 2nd, 2017

Everything there, even something not on earth. My whole family love this site, we use it buy things, sometime its help, sometime we sell stuff on it, good job

freda290
January 31st, 2020

Tricky Doggy Ugly Awful Shame of NZ monopoly no way to compliant or $1.99+GST for any complaint
Trademe is a joke Shame on the world

kaseyi1
April 15th, 2020

Horrible service by a disputes manager. Highly unprofessional. Had a numerous abusive emails from the buyer who lied about the item not being new. Stated all the facts - the trademe disputes manager was just so incompetent about the whole situation to the point making me look like a lier without accepting any of the evidence and facts I've provided as well as ignoring all the abuse and the conflicting information from the buyer. Very rude manner of emailing as well. All of this during Coronavirus lockdown. Completely unreasonable.

serges23
September 7th, 2021

Please, don't be fooled with Trademe Buyer Protection Policy. If you happen to buy an item on Trademe and use online banking to transfer your funds to the seller you may be well in trouble. You are not protected at all in this case! To make it even worse, if the Trademe security system has failed and you used online banking to complete your purchases, you are still not covered!

Trademe refused to refund me $3000 I had paid to a Trademe fake seller, who hacked one of the Trademe accounts for scamming. Despite the fact Trademe failed to prevent the hacker from breaking into their system, the company said they had nothing to do with the incident, as I used the online banking at my own risk (!). Cynical? Indeed! I tried to convince Trademe that it was their security system that failed, and therefore it was on them to fully reimburse me and other victims of the fraud. However, they rejected all my claims and reasoning, shifting all their responsibility to the third parties (the banks, the police, dumb buyers who trusted Trademe and used online banking). After a couple of my emails insisting on the compensation, they stopped responding and ignored all my further enquiries and concerns. I am sure, cases like this should be made known to a wider range of people. What do you think?

Tip for consumers:
Already explained in my review.

Products used:
The item has not been delivered.

simonc173
March 7th, 2020

The use of this application is poor for the following reasons;
After signing up an account I am now being told my account is not authenticated and I have to pay a small deposit in order to keep using it or ask questions on cars for sale. We don't have to do that in Australia and that seems a joke!
2. When you try get support the biggest scam I have seen for a long time is that you can call them at $1.99 a minute... Like it's a premium phone number service and they are profiting off your need for help because their app is $#*!. That's terrible
3. Usability; compared to applications in Australia this is Mickey mouse half baked application. It's clunky. You try change the make of car and if often picks the make for you. You have to keep going back to the start for a new search. It constantly freezes up. You also can't choose the series of vehicle. Example if you are looking for a turbo forester you can't search for that you have to manually look through all forester ads to find it.

I hope someone soon starts up a competitive app to trademe as the owners clearly think if they have a monopoly they don't have to provide a good product. Charing $1.99 a minute for tech support is just a joke

Come on trade me up your game!

berndh7
August 14th, 2021

Hi! I just posted a camera and lens set for 2500$ for sale and chose the payment option "money transfer to bank account". After that I received this email from Isabella Trust from their Safety department, saying: I'm getting in touch about a change we've made to your listing/s *******888 - Canon EOS 6D (WG) To keep Trade Me a safe place to buy and sell, each day we do hundreds of checks to ensure sellers have the items(s) for sale in their possession. A simple way we can do this is by adjusting your listing so that it is covered by Buyer Protection. To do this we've removed any payment options not covered by Buyer Protection, so buyers will need to pay either via Ping (our instant payment system), or with cash.

I think that this unilateral decision is fraudulent! I disagree about this unauthorized way to create an extra fee for me for using PING. I am perfectly fine using my Bank Account without any "security issues". They just created created a "double dip" for themselves "above the already high listing fee and success fee!" This is totally fraudulent! It seems that they just don't get enough!

abbiee4
June 11th, 2020

It's really hard to get hold of Trademe customer supports if anything happened.
Found out some MYproducts issues, whenever there was an issue, Trademe team may reset/restore the Myproducts data to some days before Issue happened. The thing is, they restore some deleted or deactivated listings which caused lots of confusion and issues. Like those out of stock products had been auto relisted.
Contacted Trademe so many times for the issue. Sent screen shots and photos as proof. These people lies hard said no, nothing wrong with it, yourself relisted those out of stock listings blah blah. Extremely unprofessional and mean staffs, horrible services,

beckyb51
Becky B.
May 27th, 2017

Has really gone hill down the years. The fees are ridiculous and they do nothing to thwart false buyers and con artists. I bought something on there which I had no idea was not allowed to be sold on there. I resold it and was warned I could lose my account as it was an overseas DVD. Be nice if they stopped all those other sellers selling illegal DVDs which I have reported but they kept reposting them. The site is full of overseas sellers which should not be fair. (Swear it was for NZ only sellers only years ago but must be wrong). Trademe should be unique as trademe, not another sort of eBay.

Then there are the "message boards" which are full of people who love to bully and harass other people. They gang up on others and act childish and play mind games and spam unnessary posts.
There are several bait messages and responses they use to get their sick thrills. The message board should not be around anymore except the help sections. I was also bullied myself and attacked by several people who like to hurt and find faults in other people. Asking for help is bound to get attacks. Most of the people on there are very proud, unfeeling and sadistic characters.

jamesb1769
August 7th, 2019

I have been trying to withdraw my money from tradeMe since December 2018 and the withdrawal request remain pending until I reached out to a recovery expert Dellj4001{AT}. Com, he guided me on what to do and helped me recover my money back.

suem780
May 8th, 2021

I contacted TM because someone used my account. Ie I got an email advising that my trade, which I didn't make, was unsuccessful. No reply to two messages.

Products used:
Heater

gorillag1
August 28th, 2020

By far the worst online shopping experience ever

My case:
I am the seller and I've put an item to auction.
During "adding item procedure" one of the options to choose from is the method of payment. There are several options available which include cash, bank transfer but also something called Ping. Ping is advertised as instant payment option. Obviously such service comes at a cost and they charge you for it.
After auction has finished, I have received an email message from trademe in which they advise me to get in touch with buyer to organize a payment?
Why I was charged extra then? Furthermore that didn't stop them to immediately charge my account with their full fee. That email also advised me that banktransfer option is mandatory. If it is mandatory why that checkbox wasn't checked in payment options? I'll tell you why, because then I would never chose Ping and gave them extra money. I tried removing Ping from my other still active auctions and I wasn't able to, because, imagine, Ping checkbox is greyed out.
Then I tried to get in touch with them. They are in million dollar business and they don't have a phone number to call. After going through tons of meaningless blogs I finally found chat which luckily wasn't chat bot. I had two conversations there, wasting my time by typing. Their first response was to copy/paste me same blog nonsense insulting my IQ several times during the process. I remained persistent and demanded answers which ended up by them hanging up on me twice!

Tbh I feel like a robbed off idiot.
Sad panda.

STAY AWAY!

namen17
July 7th, 2020

Held my money. Someone payed me using ping, and when i tried to transfer the money out of my account they held it because they didn't except my proof of id. They still need to pay my $800

joyw234
August 24th, 2021

Very bad experience, bad customer service experience. Trademe put restrictions radomly on one of my listings, I have provided photo and serial number for verification, received email saying the Quarantine Lifted, however I still can't make change to my listings or answer questions. Wrote so many emails, no one replied me. Went to online chat, asked me to wait for a response. Been 4 days already. I asked them to remove my listings and close my account, so I can advertise somewhere else. They still asked me to wait for the response. Very unhelpful and Useless.
Fianlly received email from trademe, advised they need to see the orginal receipt of the item. I advised got no receipt for this one as this is a second hand old mobile phone. They came back said they think my phone may be on contact and may be blacklist in the future. I provided a video to show that my phone is not under contact and it is unlocked to all network. They can check my serial number with any network provider. However, Trademe still belive this is not sufficent. I asked them what evidence Trademe has to prove my phone is under a contract and will be blocked to all network, which part of the legislation says I need to provide receipt to be able to sell an item on trademe and an explaination on how can a phone is currently unlocked to all network still under a contract. Non of above been answered. They said becuase the phone looks new, therefore, they are randomly picking people and accuse people do not have right to sell their own stuff.

Instead of resolving my issue, they closed my account. This is the way they resolved issues.
I am very surprised with the way trademe treating its customers like a rubbish.
Not sure how long this company can survive.

tashm4
September 4th, 2019

I love buying and selling from Trademe website. Even though the website itself is very poorly designed at least it's working.
I hate to deal with Trademe customer support staffs. Extremely RUDE, IGNORANT AND MEAN.
Hope you never need to contact them, or trust me, you will face accusations from them, they can't read, don't listen to what happened. Most of the time told me off to contact buyer/seller myself. Useless people hired.

jm824
November 2nd, 2019

Have been ripped off on their $#*! website, useless customer service, incompetent to the core while the scammers can continue trading without any consequence
$#*! you trademe, bunch of morons

jontek
December 12th, 2018

TradeMe is awful. Period. They charge you ($1.99 a minute for unhelpful customer service, which can't provide a solution anyway because they take no responsibility for anything that happens on the site. They will sometimes randomly delete your account without warning and refuse to fix it without providing a full list of information about yourself. Stupid website with even more stupid people running it.

jerryp192
July 5th, 2019

As soon as I registered and deposited money into this site, I was no longer able to access or navigate the site in any way. Unfortunately I only lost £500 but could easily have been more! I was able to recover my lost funds with the help of a recovery expert agent who help me get back 90$ of my lost funds, if it wasnt for him i would have been ripped off

No, Trademe is terrible Trademe Toll Free Number 0800 224 524