TradeMe.co.nz

TradeMe.co.nz has a consumer rating of 1.48 stars from 67 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. TradeMe.co.nz also ranks 82nd among Auction sites. The most common issues with TradeMe.co.nz are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• Absolutly horrible customer service, just deleted my account for no reason and I am a top seller on there.
How would you rate TradeMe.co.nz?

“My experience with TM.”

John S.
6/16/19

Aside from the scams that (apparently) happen, the website itself is actually quite presentable and thoroughly easy to navigate, while it's not anything really special to look at, the focus is buying and selling items and it's worked fine for me for the past few years, I guess trust is necessary but you can avoid dealing with suspicious people based on their "positive feedback" but I guess that's just me.

“Horrible”

Sam C.
5/12/20

Absolutly horrible customer service, just deleted my account for no reason and I am a top seller on there. I now have no way of send out parcels to people who have paid, with no way contact them about the issue. None of their phone lines are working (even the one that costs $2.30 per min) I have thousands of dollars trapped in my account that I cant get out either. Terrible thieving $#*!s.

customer service (13)
samc386
May 12th, 2020
donnaw693
May 12th, 2020
Worst online trading platform, Phone app is the worst. It does not show any trackings of my order, only available from desktop computer. You should consider that many people use their phone for convenience reasons, they would not check back desktop computer everyday for a tracking number.
Customer support staffs are the worst. Useless, rude and most of the time, you only receive copy and paste reply, they dont bother to read what you actually asked them. Easy money, NOOOOOOOOOOOT.
kenndyk
May 14th, 2020
Have used TradeMe for years now and the service and fees are a disgrace to say the least! Fees are ridiculous, so many limitations and poor customer service - cost $1.99 plus GST to phone call them and service which is free from most businesses. TradeMe is no longer "A place where Kiwis buy and sell" it's full of overseas junk. Your better of using Facebook marketplace which is completely free, way easier to sell on and has way less limitations - you can list phone numbers, websites and message people without being charged.
freda290
January 31st, 2020
Tricky Doggy Ugly Awful Shame of NZ monopoly no way to compliant or $1.99+GST for any complaint
Trademe is a joke Shame on the world
kaseyi1
April 15th, 2020
Horrible service by a disputes manager. Highly unprofessional. Had a numerous abusive emails from the buyer who lied about the item not being new. Stated all the facts - the trademe disputes manager was just so incompetent about the whole situation to the point making me look like a lier without accepting any of the evidence and facts I've provided as well as ignoring all the abuse and the conflicting information from the buyer. Very rude manner of emailing as well. All of this during Coronavirus lockdown. Completely unreasonable.
daikrist
June 16th, 2019
simonc173
March 7th, 2020
The use of this application is poor for the following reasons;
After signing up an account I am now being told my account is not authenticated and I have to pay a small deposit in order to keep using it or ask questions on cars for sale. We don't have to do that in Australia and that seems a joke!
2. When you try get support the biggest scam I have seen for a long time is that you can call them at $1.99 a minute... Like it's a premium phone number service and they are profiting off your need for help because their app is $#*!. That's terrible
3. Usability; compared to applications in Australia this is Mickey mouse half baked application. It's clunky. You try change the make of car and if often picks the make for you. You have to keep going back to the start for a new search. It constantly freezes up. You also can't choose the series of vehicle. Example if you are looking for a turbo forester you can't search for that you have to manually look through all forester ads to find it.

I hope someone soon starts up a competitive app to trademe as the owners clearly think if they have a monopoly they don't have to provide a good product. Charing $1.99 a minute for tech support is just a joke

Come on trade me up your game!
abbiee4
June 11th, 2020
It's really hard to get hold of Trademe customer supports if anything happened.
Found out some MYproducts issues, whenever there was an issue, Trademe team may reset/restore the Myproducts data to some days before Issue happened. The thing is, they restore some deleted or deactivated listings which caused lots of confusion and issues. Like those out of stock products had been auto relisted.
Contacted Trademe so many times for the issue. Sent screen shots and photos as proof. These people lies hard said no, nothing wrong with it, yourself relisted those out of stock listings blah blah. Extremely unprofessional and mean staffs, horrible services,
gorillag1
August 28th, 2020
By far the worst online shopping experience ever

My case:
I am the seller and I've put an item to auction.
During "adding item procedure" one of the options to choose from is the method of payment. There are several options available which include cash, bank transfer but also something called Ping. Ping is advertised as instant payment option. Obviously such service comes at a cost and they charge you for it.
After auction has finished, I have received an email message from trademe in which they advise me to get in touch with buyer to organize a payment?
Why I was charged extra then? Furthermore that didn't stop them to immediately charge my account with their full fee. That email also advised me that banktransfer option is mandatory. If it is mandatory why that checkbox wasn't checked in payment options? I'll tell you why, because then I would never chose Ping and gave them extra money. I tried removing Ping from my other still active auctions and I wasn't able to, because, imagine, Ping checkbox is greyed out.
Then I tried to get in touch with them. They are in million dollar business and they don't have a phone number to call. After going through tons of meaningless blogs I finally found chat which luckily wasn't chat bot. I had two conversations there, wasting my time by typing. Their first response was to copy/paste me same blog nonsense insulting my IQ several times during the process. I remained persistent and demanded answers which ended up by them hanging up on me twice!

Tbh I feel like a robbed off idiot.
Sad panda.

STAY AWAY!
watermelont
February 6th, 2016
I bought a few things off this site, not many though. I've seen a lot of people who had bad experiences from this because they didn't buy responsibly, but just make sure the seller you're buying from has a good reputation. The purchases I made took a long time to arrive but were exactly what I asked for at a fairly low price. However I have had no experience on selling.
namen17
July 7th, 2020
Held my money. Someone payed me using ping, and when i tried to transfer the money out of my account they held it because they didn't except my proof of id. They still need to pay my $800
tashm4
September 4th, 2019
I love buying and selling from Trademe website. Even though the website itself is very poorly designed at least it's working.
I hate to deal with Trademe customer support staffs. Extremely RUDE, IGNORANT AND MEAN.
Hope you never need to contact them, or trust me, you will face accusations from them, they can't read, don't listen to what happened. Most of the time told me off to contact buyer/seller myself. Useless people hired.
johna909
April 1st, 2017
I live in a small rural town, and TradeMe has provided me with a convenient way to buy everything available to a big city resident from buttons to iPhones, wigs to weedkiller, without any problems. I only buy from traders with high ratings from lots of previous trades and always get great service from these traders. TradeMe's system of showing ratings of the trustworthiness of other traders stops any cheating.

A scammer got my Trademe details once and started to use my account to sell fake goods, but TradeMe's fraud team stopped it immediately.

I think the one star comments on here are all by one grouchy person who failed to follow the above precautions, and is posting the same complaint under several aliases. I have never heard anyone making these complaints. I think most people find TM pretty reliable and convenient.
jm824
November 2nd, 2019
Have been ripped off on their $#*! website, useless customer service, incompetent to the core while the scammers can continue trading without any consequence
$#*! you trademe, bunch of morons
jontek
December 12th, 2018
TradeMe is awful. Period. They charge you ($1.99 a minute for unhelpful customer service, which can't provide a solution anyway because they take no responsibility for anything that happens on the site. They will sometimes randomly delete your account without warning and refuse to fix it without providing a full list of information about yourself. Stupid website with even more stupid people running it.
jerryp192
July 5th, 2019
As soon as I registered and deposited money into this site, I was no longer able to access or navigate the site in any way. Unfortunately I only lost £500 but could easily have been more! I was able to recover my lost funds with the help of a recovery expert agent who help me get back 90$ of my lost funds, if it wasnt for him i would have been ripped off
jessicac456
March 5th, 2019
Trademe closed my account claiming i had multiple accounts with no explanation about my 'other' accounts they claim i have... They have forced me to use a very old email address account i used to have years ago. I stopped using it as it had a stupid name and email address. I am not a scammer or bad trader and have never had bad feedback this is ridiculous
ay15
May 10th, 2018
They don't care how the trade goes on their own site. They just want money and provide no support unless you paid for it. Even with that expensive support, they avoid all responsibility. Their website and app are very low quality. A lot of bugs. Worst company and service i have ever encountered.
feip1
February 16th, 2018
Bought a clock via Trademe, considering Trademe has buyer protect (if the glass is broken, I will get covered). The clever seller wrapped the clock in one layer of bubble wrap and wrote "fragile" on plastic bag, thinking this was good enough. Of course, I received a broken one. Complained to Trademe, they asked me to go through Disputy tribunal myself. Thanks for the advice and so called "buyer protect"!
anthonyf71
July 10th, 2018
Such terrible service. They do not answer your questions. Everything is beat around the Bush. Soòoooooooooooo bad why do we keep going with you
suel104
February 10th, 2018
Trademe recently changed buyer requirements without notifying trademe members.
Now full name match required between account holders and gun license details.
nicf4
November 16th, 2018
Bought & sold on here for years... may still buy, but are going to move away from selling. We were selling in completely good faith some pre-loved designer items for which we had no proof of authenticity, so they removed them & smacked us with 'final warning' notices etc. I can understand them removing items if we had breached any legal stuff unwittingly by listing them, but to repeatedly & rudely punish on top of the item removal a long time trader with a near-flawless feedback record in the manner they did, was too bitter a pill to swallow! Best not to start with these guys, or if you do and want to avoid our experience, never never sell any high value or designer item on there. There are other alternative sites which we figure will gain in popularity if Trademe continue with the same sort of business tactics.
teodoram2
February 19th, 2019
Been scammed and the support staff hang up the phone when I told them I was scammed! Absolutely no support, shocking!
goszoneg
October 24th, 2017
I am very disappointed with TradeMe customer service after I file a report about the product I bought online which was different than what was advertised. They are useless, rude and judgemental. Too much crap talk without any real solution. You have to do that do that blab la! What the hell you are there for? Guys do yourself a favour and use some other online service.
jamesb1175
June 20th, 2018
I was selling my car on trademe and had another item that had sold on trademe but the trade had not completed i. E I have not been paid.

It was about $25 commission!

My car add came up for renewal at the same time, (which is a $80 add) and I was blocked from renewing my car add until I had paid the commission! This is just bad business to block a $80 add over $25 commssion for a sale I hadn't even completed yet!

No, Trademe is terrible Trademe Toll Free Number 0800 224 524