TalkingParents

TalkingParents has a consumer rating of 2.02 stars from 42 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. TalkingParents also ranks 39th among Legal Services sites. The most common issues with TalkingParents are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

• I insisted that the court order using Talking Parents, and after two years the judge finally agreed.

No critical highlights yet

How would you rate TalkingParents?

“I need attorney referrals please”

Melissa M.
4/5/20

I'm using this app father never replies I need help in my battle I signed a stipulation saying g I need to pay for monitored visits with only 3 monitors to choose from and two are not in the list the other said she isn't working this year. I need help going back to court with a FTA.

“Difficult to use/Poor customer experience”

rebecca T.
4/2/20

This is not an intuitive application. My X and I stopped using it because it didn't make sense and wasn't helpful. Please make sure you cancel before they charge your card again for the annual fee. I stopped using it and forgot that there is an annual charge. The day they charged my card I asked them to cancel. They refused to stop the charge and locked me into another year (that I wont use). And at a higher cost than I initially agreed to. Disappointing experience and they will never see another dime from me.

court order (9)
melissam984
April 5th, 2020
rebeccat267
April 2nd, 2020
maraihab1
February 21st, 2020
My ex just doesnt bother to use it. Doesn't read the messages, obviously doesnt bother to respond. And the courts do not monitor this activity. I honestly feel like this has been more detrimental to my child than helpful.
miked593
March 25th, 2019
With all due respect to everyone complaining (especially when the reasons why this app is being used is already frustrating and emotionally volatile), I don't really understand what the huge issue is. Now keep in mind, I'm using the site, not the app, so I'm not paying any money for it but I also have no experience regarding the performance of the app - and of course, you can't use the app if you aren't paying for it. All that said, all you have to do is set the (free) website account to send an email notification for anything important. You can also set your email client or app to treat every email from Talking Parents as 'important.' Voila: you don't miss a single message or update, all for free. And this is on your phone, too - if you're not getting notifications about your messages, sorry, but its user error, and not the service itself. My advice is to take some time to learn more about your device settings and client/app settings, as well as which clients/apps are better than others. I see no legitimate reason to have to pay for the app. None.
samanthae142
June 6th, 2020
Ok- I'm amused by the negative reviews . People, the majority of your "issues" of gaslighting, communication etc are due to YOU and your EX. It doesn't matter if it's text, email, phone or an app. Stop complaining and blaming the app! If it is that bad, use a third party to communicate between the two of you (ie parallel parenting). There are some issues with application- for example, the calls- it's extremely expensive. It should be a lower cost. It's pretty costly but you can use the free website from your phone. It's easy! No app can magically make your co parent respond and work with you... there is no such thing as magic. Don't indulge in a narcissistic parents behavior . Don't allow it .tell them to stop and refuse to communicate until they calm down (keep things brief ). This website does its job . It keeps records accurately and that's the point . It's not the websites job to figure out how to coparent for you . We've had this since 2016.
ronaldi
August 4th, 2016
I really liked using this app. My ex is an extreme narcissist and everything that I always say gets misconstrued and turned around in telephone conversation. This puts the power back in my hands and lets me have more control over conversations and showing when he's not being honest or decisive. It was great because I could download copies and have it sent to the guardian ad litem and to the judge. The one thing I will say you never do win with a narcissist but it's a tool to add to an Arsenal to help combat them. The other thing I love is that it's taken away they need to have to communicate via the telephone. It's nice because it's free but for a small upgrade you can print copies as well. Highly recommend.
Kristin K. – TalkingParents Rep
Thank you for your great feedback, Ronald. We're very glad to hear that Talking Parents has helped you put the power back in your hands. We hope to continue to serve you well at Talking Parents.
jessicah452
November 17th, 2019
Reason 1. We cannot assume feeling's through text, face expressions, tone of voice,etc
So just because someone disagrees with another,and starts deflecting, how does that help any situation?
kingj19
April 20th, 2019
I don't think co-parenting would've worked out if we had to communicate any other way. I have no complaints whatsoever. I've been using the web version. (Free) for three years now
theresac115
June 1st, 2018
It's a website to just check in and if there's any importance that needs to be communicated regarding the child but the man I was married to uses it like a smear campaign hopefully one day the judge will see through it using it for years now
mikef101
March 6th, 2016
My ex-wife constantly ignored court ordered cooperation with me on our children's issues, and manipulated my custody time simply by ignoring messages, etc. I insisted that the court order using Talking Parents, and after two years the judge finally agreed. It has been great. my Ex and I actually have important conversations about our children because we have to. The tracking of responses and views is important, because now she can no longer say that she "never received" my messages about our children (which was her code for "deleted without reading it"). She also knows that her behavior is officially being documented, so her communication is far more reasonable and civil. Use of T.P. has improved my family situation and helped to protect my time to maintain relationships with my children a great deal.
Kristin K. – TalkingParents Rep
Thank you for your great review, Mike! We're glad that Talking Parents has been so helpful in getting you through your legal issues. This was our aim from the beginning and we're happy to have helped. We appreciate your feedback!
katherinec106
August 7th, 2018
This is an amazing app/website used in the uk. I've used it to correspond with an abusive ex and so far it had delivered and has been great. i printed off the correspondence for the court at a nominal fee of about £3 . I would recommend this esp those who are dealing with controllers, manipulators and narcissists. Everything is logged if you've gone no contact with everything else. excellent work and more advertising!
jessicah424
September 30th, 2019
My ex will say he needs to think about things or needs more information despite a ruling that clearly outlines our roles. He'll say he needs to think about my vacation with the kids that is a month away and he'll ignore the issue. The lawyers say "use talking parents." Then I don't get answers from him and he waits until the last second to say no. Then it's "mom does what she wants despite dad's objections, mom doesn't care about the best interest of the child." He cancels appointments if I put them on the calendar too early and he either takes my child when he is available or schedules them not on my day off. On my days with the kids, he schedule appointments and says he gave notice and then he shows up to everything and gets dr notes from MY KIDS' doctors for HIS fmla even though I'm there to bring them! This app has done nothing but add a safety blanket for his abuse, which I've endured since I was 18almost 16 years.
jackc15
March 23rd, 2011
I guess this site is newer than I thought. Seems like people either haven't heard of it or they think it's only good for women with do-nothing ex's who don't care about their kids. I get along great with the mother of my child and we work together to provide a good life for our son, we use talkingparents because it's convenient and we've got like 16 years to go and we think it's a good idea to keep a complete record of our discussions about him. I just copy and paste the entire record every so often in case anything ever happens to the site, I guess thats the only real downside, though I don't know why it would ever disappear. I know some people who use it because they don't get along and it seems to work ok for that too
Kristin K. – TalkingParents Rep
Hi, Jack. No need to copy and paste your records, we keep an archive for you! We're glad that you enjoy using our services and hope to continue to serve you in the future.
jasonw369
February 19th, 2019
2 days of working with this app and I had to get rid of it. It delivered messages 1 1/2 hours late and really messed some things up between me and my ex wife. I would not recommend it for any co parents!
kenb127
July 27th, 2017
I'm really surprised by all of these bad reviews. I've been using TalkingParents.com for 20 months and it has been great. The notification that my EX has read the discussion is invaluable since she frequently does not respond or waits a long time to do so.

Completely free up until now. I've printed out individual discussions as needed to show my lawyer. Yeah, it will cost $4 to get a complete PDF if I ever need it. My lawyer will charge me way more than $4 to even look at it, so I see $4 as small change.

With respect to reliability, I use the web interface. I cannot comment on the web app. I don't really see the point of the web app. I get an email saying there is a message, I click on it and it takes me to the web page. That works perfectly for me.
Kristin K. – TalkingParents Rep
Thank you for your great review, Ken! We're so glad that Talking Parents has been of such benefit to you. We appreciate you using our service and hope that we can continue to serve your co-parenting needs.
danielg389
January 7th, 2019
Talking Parents is a very frustrating company to deal with..I have had great difficulty connecting with the other parent. I emailed them more than 5 times and asked to speak to someone about my issued and I asked to be walked through the set up to which I received only email responses. Then I asked if they could delete my information so I can sign up anew to which they again sent a generalized email response. I am still not connected or able to sign in and I am still waiting for help from them! It's terrible and shameful that I cannot receive technical help from them after 3 weeks of asking. I wish they had a competitor, it would be easier to get my court order changed to a different parent communication APP.
matthewh120
November 2nd, 2017
Awesome online, 5++ have not used the app. 4 years using it, used it in court as well, without paying.
Pretty sure the lying reviews are competetors.
Kristin K. – TalkingParents Rep
Thank you for your review, Matthew! We're thrilled that you enjoy our service so much. We hope to continue to serve your needs in the future.
baconb1
October 17th, 2019
Forced by courts normally in an ongoing attempt to imply one parent is an issue. Some instances, that is the case. Luckily in my situation the divorce Judge recognized my wife's facade and I ended up with full custody of one and 50/50 of another. All our verbal communication has been pleasant. My wife though, she gaslights, stonewalls and gray stones my posts. Ignoring for days or just not answering. All keywords she now uses that she learned from "support groups". I'm the husband that fought to save the marriage. I just did it the wrong way. This app further promotes the dissolution of marriages that could easily be reconciled. It further segregates families and compounds a lack of communication between relationships. This may not be applicable to everyone's situation but is so in my case. All it's done is further distant my children from their mother and assisted in causing resentment towards my ex from my teens standpoint. In short, it's all backfiring on her. Some would take delight in this, however I don't. I prefer open and free communication. Free Speech according to our rights, with the hopes of one day my ex pulls her head out of her ass. Any Judge in our country that makes individuals communicate through this means without just cause should also pull their head out of their ass. I've gotten to where I just won't use the site now unless absolutely necessary. If you're being forced in to utilizing this nightmare, keep it to yes and no replies or one or two sentences. Bare minimum. It's a sad day society has come to this. Or do like I do, have an ex girlfriend post for you. At least that way in court you can attest it wasn't you that sent the message and you can freely state who did. Just be sure if you need something to be posted be very clear and short... "I need to tell them I need this". Sont log in, don't read the replies. That way you can attest you've never been on the site. Having someone else post on your behalf can be verified by IP that instant you as evidence. Just be sure the person posting for you is trustworthy. If you do log in, use a VPN.
mickeyg15
June 27th, 2018
I am an attorney that has recommended to my clients', and had the Court order the parties, to use this app over 60 times. None of my clients are happy with the service, they complain they do not always receive their messages and complain about the price - mainly because it is advertised as free. There are alternatives, like divorce wizard.
andress44
August 27th, 2019
I would actually rate a ZERO because it IS NOT A CO-PARENTING APP. It is an APP to make the divorced parents forget about what it's purpose is.
It is a GAS LIGHTER for parents.

Unfortunately, this APP is not in the best interest of the child. So whoever created it, you may want to take another look at what you created.

It is creating more problems than good in my current experience!
ralphs29
November 17th, 2013
There many other no charge site, Yahoo etc.. where you can keep your , the only plus side is you know when the other party has read your email (similar to outlook email receipts)
they do charge if you want copies of the conversations ie emails, $40
Kristin K. – TalkingParents Rep
Hi Ralph. You are correct that there are free ways to communicate, but they are not as in depth and as accurate as what Talking Parents can provide. Talking Parents was created by a team with a law background, so they know exactly what information can be brought into court. There is a fee to receive records from us, as these records have been certified as accurate by our team and can be brought into a courtroom. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do to serve you.
lauriem2
March 20th, 2011
my ex and I never talked at all because we don't like to talk to each other but we ended up using this site so we could at least talk about our son which has worked out great since he knows he can't be a jerk and he can't just ignore me
Kristin K. – TalkingParents Rep
Hi Laurie, we're glad that Talking Parents has helped to remedy your communication issues with your ex. We're glad that it has been of such benefit. We hope to continue to serve you at Talking Parents.
dariell
February 21st, 2018
Not sure why is it listed as a free app, if you downloaded the app and want to receive/send messages they force you to pay a monthly subscription. Their system sucks.
jw462
August 2nd, 2019
I would love more than anything to be able to co-parent with my ex-husband. My ex-husband is a very verbally and emotionally abusive person. I had to block his phone number and his email so he would stop harassing me. The judge in Western Washington told us to use an app that we could communicate on so we could "work together" for our daughter. My ex's attorney suggested Talking Parent. Yes, it is true that anything you write in Talking Parent can be used in court because you can not change what you've written after it is sent. You would think that would be great, however, my ex uses Talking Parent to make himself look like "dad of the year" and he twists my words around to make it look like he is the one telling the truth in the situation, which is the farthest thing from the truth. I have spent over $35,000 in court to try to protect my daughter from the abuse and neglect from her father and step-mother. My daughter has not been protected and the only thing I have to show for it is being in debt up to my eyeballs. The court ordered an anger management test for him and we even had a GAL. Both only made things worse in the situation by letting him get away with his behavior and wrong doings. The court did nothing to protect my daughter and now she is living with him. My ex-husband still verbally abuses and harasses me on this Talking Parent site and when I sent a concern on the "contact us" on the app nothing is done about it. Here was there response that was sent back to me.
"Unfortunately, we can not force parents to use our service in a constructive, positive manner or to abide by a court order. We recommend that you attempt to address any specific concerns about messages that the other parent is sending using Talking Parents; this provides documentation of your attempts to be cooperative and civilly resolve issues.

However, if you think the other parent may be acting in violation of a court order, or you would like to find out what support may be available through the legal system, then we recommend you contact an attorney, or the court itself."

Sincerely,

Damien
User Support Representative, Talking Parents

I feel the judge, the GAL, the anger management evaluator, and the Talking Parent site has done nothing to protect my daughter and my family. I do not know if there is a better parent communication app for parents to work with but I most certainly would not recommend this site to anyone who wants to protect their child(ren). Even if money was not an issue the court continues turn a blind eye and considers anything I use in court as "hear say". This is all I get whether I have an attorney or not.
roberth1047
November 22nd, 2018
It's 3 am the night before hankagiving and I've spent half the day on this app, reading my wife's paragraph long abusive dishonest message she wrote to make her look like mom#1. I haven't seen my kids in 5 months because my wife lied to the police and courts. They just empower her and her desire to alienate me from my kids has her successful. The bond i had with them is broken (ages 3, 3 and 2). She gets to talk down on me in this app, continuing the abuse I've endured for the last 4 years. She uses it to try to trick me into contacting her. How does this company feel about being part of an evil American enterprise. I miss you boys so much, i love u guys and hope we'll be together soon. -dad

Hi, Michael. That decision would have to be made in court. We do not set any rules or regulations and act only as a way to record communication between parents.

By Kristin K.,

Does the Judhe actually look in the app is My ? Because if they dont it does not serve its purpose

By Sabrina S.