Review of Shutterstock

Tel: 1-866-663-3954
jobs@shutterstock.com

jasonc542
2/21/19

I was charged an annual plan without being sent a renewal Email. I was a customer for a number of years and still got charged extra when cancelling. Will never use again.

andreab335
2/21/19

I was just charged $30.60 TWICE for some auto renew I had no knowledge of. I tried contacting someone in chat who said they would not refund that money since I downloaded images. I thought the images that were showing up as an option to download were already paid for, they make it look like you have images On Demand to download but then I was just charge $60! What a scam. Go to Unsplash.com for FREE photos that look amazing.

cathyy14
1/30/19

I had a terrible customer service experience with them. It would cost them nothing to do the right thing but it is clear by their actions that it is not that they cannot help you it is that they have designed their system not to help you. The more they can screw you over the better.

elih33
1/29/19

Did not use them for 5 months and they charged my card $99 for the plan, when called in to cancel the plan they said there is a $26 cancellation fee!!! after paying for 5 months with out downloading even one image you are still charging me a fee

shanej35
1/24/19

Shutterstock is a very unethical company. I bought some images in 2016, and I did not agree to let them automatically charge my card. Nonetheless, they charged my card every year since without my knowledge, provided absolutely no service (I did not download any images in 2017 or 2018), yet when I complain about it, they refuse to refund me any money. Apparently, a big part of their business is to charge people money without providing anything. That's why they will charge you for a period of time, and if you don't download any images, you don't get anything at all for the money you paid. This is quite deliberate, and should be illegal.

The company also makes it impossible to remove your credit card information when logged into your account. You have to actually communicate with someone to cancel the account. What other companies do this nowadays? They apparently don't want you to remove your card or cancel your account so they can continue to charge you even when you're getting absolutely nothing for it.

There is a lot of art out there that is not provided by Shutterstock. But be careful, because they will buy ads that pop up even if you search for free images and icons. That's another lie, because they aren't free, and they make it difficult to tell until you click on the link.

I would suggest to anyone who is considering Shutterstock, find your art somewhere else. They will deliberately rip you off and then refuse to do anything about it, just like a scam artist.

lisak385
1/17/19

Bought 30 day no lock in plan.

Their words: "Our monthly subscription plan is just what it says a plan that is charged each month without any long-term commitment."

But they have taken this amount out every month for the past 5 months without me realising (over Christmas break) and now say I cannot download the photos!

I ended up paying over AUD $300 for five photos.

judel18
1/15/19

I'm choosing photos to create a 60-page client website and won't know how many or which ones we'll keep in the end. I won't know for months due to approval processes, edits, etc. But I can't download the first image for layout without first determining how many I will be buying. Goodbye Shutterstock.

scottm640
1/8/19

I use Shutterstock on occasion, but only buy credits vs. a subscription. I avoid subscriptions as often as I can because they appeal to your sense of a good deal/bargain, but rarely pan out to the extent you originally envisioned.

My issue with Shutterstock is that they default to auto-renew credits rather than default to not auto-renew. The vast majority of clients will purchase credits based on their current needs. If customers wanted more, they will buy more, and do not need Shutterstock to "conveniently" automatically buy more credits. It's like having a drink at the bar and the bartender automatically filling your glass when you finished because you have a tab open. Yeah, it's nice to have that option, but, no I want you to always ask before spending my money.

Seeing all the overwhelmingly bad reviews really confirms how little Shutterstock values customer experience.

mingr2
12/30/18

So many trick to steal your money!!! I wish I had read the reviews here before I subscribed.

The principle of the trick is hidden the simple meaning in the obscure, tons of garbage words.

Nov 2017.
I need a few photos for a project legally. google told shutterstock.
1. The company looks great and professinal. so many official good news and paper.
2. The photos are nice.

Look at the price. Two plans: "$10 got 1 photo" VS "$29 got 10 photos in a month".
I choose $29/month happily. _ _ _

Here is the trick No.1. Monthly paid DO NOT MEAN monthly plan.
It is a annual plan. it is a none stop annual plan. The true is $348 to have 10 photos download right every month.

June 2018.
When I notice they had charge me $29 every month, was 6 months later. So I check the console to stop.And search from google, there is no way to stop by myself. Then I send email to support. Ask to stop and return the money. They replied. "they has stopped the plan. but no return"

is that all? NONONO

Uptil Dec 2018.
I still the the bill from shutterstock every month.
WTF. There is auto renew subscription in the term. And no button to stop autorenew by myself.

=====
Jan 2019
After complain again to the customer support, with clear screen shot evident. They promise the return the charge since July 2018. Still waiting

Is that all??? NONONO
I had to remove my credit card information from shutterstock. But how? no way, but send support ticket after the plan terminated.

luism187
12/26/18

Shutterstock is scammer, it charge my card every monthly while i can't remove my card from their system.

peterv137
12/20/18

Make sure you read their terms before signing up for a subscription. There are much better and cheaper options out there with the same content!

Tip for consumers: Stay away

mariep126
12/10/18

Purchase a subscription elsewhere.

Their logic = if you end your 12 month contract at 7 months, we'll charge you $140. If you end after 11 months, we'll charge you $220.

What happens if your client cancels their 1 year marketing project early?

Great for Shutterstock's $, terrible for customer relations.

bornw
12/5/18

I had a family emergency that prevented me downloading our remaining stock on the last days of the month. Shutterstock customer support doesn't care, rules are rules. I know it's ridiculous of me to let something like family in the hospital get in the way of downloading stock. What was I thinking. Adobe Stock, here we come (they let you accrue up to a years worth).

upyoursm
11/28/18

Upyours Jon Oringer
Don't ever and i mean EVER buy a subscription from SHUTTERSTOCK worst company EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tonyb301
11/26/18

RIP OFF. THEY WILL NOT LET YOU CANCEL YOU ACCOUNT. HAD TO CANCEL MY CREDIT CARD. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! DO NOT SUPPORT THIS ROBBERY

benm232
11/20/18

Typically if you need to spend a small amount on a websites service, youll buy it for one month and get what you need, and every other website ive visited will politely allow you to cancel. Not shutterstock. They charged me 20 bucks to cancel. Sheisty bastards. Next time i'll buy from someone else.

jennyc168
11/19/18

This company is an absolute disgrace. They are not transparent in their contract
terms and pricing. You end up getting charged for something which is overpriced and then they make it close to impossible to get out of a plan. They keep renewing plans without your consent and you can't even turn off the auto renew feature in your account when you log on. When you ring to ask how you can cancel your account they say they will have to charge some massive fee to cancel your plan. The customer service is not much better. The customer service at this company DO NOT go out of their way to help. When you ask simply how to cancel a plan they just tell you it can't be done. If you don't want to be taken advantage of then DO NOT use this company. They are so dishonest.

elenabayb
11/17/18

They charge me twice after one purchase! Be aware!! I hope they will correct this, I am waiting for the customer service to get back to me.

paulg527
11/16/18

I've used shutterstock for a couple of years now and built up a library of a thousand or so images. Those of you using shutterstock for occasional images will have some idea of how much that has cost.

However some months ago they reported software issues. I cant download the images i've paid for. It's an issue their end, and when you speak to support they always tell you it will be sorted it 48 hrs and that there is nothing more they can do. I assume it's scripted as numerous support staff have told me exactly the same thing over recent months.

I've given shutterstock a one star review because they are expensive and it's inexcusable to charge a lot of money for images then not provide them due to an IT issue their end - and to add insult to injury not fix that issue months down the road.. Shame on you shutterstock.

sabrinac21
11/15/18

Already, paying $30 a month for access to literally 10 photos max is a bit high, but my client requested I use this site so I did. Little did I know when that client could no longer afford to pay me that I would have to keep paying Shutterstock forever. There is no cancellation my friends, unless you are willing to pay a ridiculous month to month price.
I emailed them requested cancellation, they didn't respond, but they did send a link to a survey asking if their customer service was sufficient.
The link didn't work, but as I didn't see another monthly charged, it seemed I had cancelled.
Nope! 2 weeks later, charged again. I called explaining I needed out (at this point I have paid almost $200 for the use of exactly 4 photos) and that my client dropped me. She said sure, for the low price of $60 they could cancel. She claimed I did receive an email back (I combed through my spam on the date she told me it came- nothing.)
SO I paid $60 to get out of an overpriced service I wasn't using anyway! Seriously?
I'm all about paying artists for their work- I AM one- but make no mistake. Shutterstock is the one making the money here. And ripping off the artists on the paying end as well.
Don't get tied up in their BS. Use anyone else.
I wish so much I had looked up reviews first.

vazgenm
11/15/18

They take my money and not give it Back.
I wnat to cancel my account they sey you need to pay 40 USD more...
Do not give them your credit card details...

tomb584
11/7/18

They will take your money and will not allow you to cancel your plan unless you spend hours, days, with a rude customer service and charge you 40 USD for that. Beware of this company.

neile28
10/18/18

First wouldn't allow me to turn off auto-renew - I had to cancel the credit card involved, and then after buying a set of credits as a one off they billed me twice. Avoid them like the plague they are theives.

rogerl135
10/10/18

I was 1 day late canceling my subscription, which auto-renewed. I emailed them to explain I didn't want the subscription. And they responded with "sorry but our terms of service blah blah blah"

I'd rather work with a company that treats their customers like humans.

Would not recommend.

isaacr21
10/8/18

They will steal from you, legit, they steal from me currently. I tried to turn my account off after a year and they don't let me, they will rob you.

Hi there, Shutterstock offer different plans that you can choose to see which one suit your needs they have the Annual, Monthly and prepaid. With the annual plan you are commiting to one year and also benefiting from a discounted price so the fee would be equavalent to the amount you've saved note a fee will only apply for the annual plan if you are cancelling before the year is up.

By Toshauna b.

Yes once downloaded the images are yours to use forever and they have many plan options, some of wish are one time payments

By Ashminee H.

On tge website there is not a option to purchase a single image however, if you have an ios or android device you cam download the shutterstock app and purchase the single image of your choice

By Toshauna b.

You should be able to go into your account details and make sure you are not subscribed to any plans. And definitely DO NOT store your credit card on the site - that will prevent them from trying to charge you for something you didn't purchase.

By Sandi P.

You can download the brochure templates and it would be considered one image download however after purchasing you can use the images as you like under the limitations of the license chosen

By Ashminee H.

Questions? Get answers from the Shutterstock staff and other customers.

7 Photos for Shutterstock