Review of Rent The Runway

Tel: 1.800.509.0842
eweinstein@renttherunway.com

deborah12
2/7/19

I signed up for a promo and then returned all clothing (shop worn, yuck) within a few days of receiving. THey continue to charge my cc 171.00 monthly as they need to file a claim for the lost return and won't cancel my account until then. The UPS tracking shows it was picked up from me but never delivered to them (how is this my problem????) Customer service says oh well so sad you didn't read the fine print!!!! NEVER do business with these losers....

dannal1
1/11/19

Do not rent from this company! I retuned my rentened items and they charged me 250. Talked to a manager and they were not sympathetic/helpful. terrible customer service and company.

patm336
1/10/19

What a horrible experience. I'm attending a wedding on Saturday; a very special occasion - the wedding of my life partner's son. I ordered the dress 3 months ago; all correspondence from RTR promised the dress today, Thursday. This seemed perfect-enough time to try on, decide on shoes, undergarments, etc. I received an email on Tuesday that the dress had been shipped = awesome!!!!! Began tracking - oh,oh, dress stayed in PA for 24 hours. Left PA at 6:45 WED morning - yay , it should be able to reach MA by Thursday promised delivery date - right???? WRONG I find out at 11:30 today, via tracking, that the UPS estimated delivery date is by 8:00 p.m. tomorrow-way too late to accommodate my plans. Delivery seemed to have stopped in a MA location one hour away from my home.I called RTR, customer service rep reviewed tracking info and agreed dress will not be delivered today and went into automatic apology mode - wonderful - except I can't wear a freaking apology. I'm not a difficult person - I needed dress today as I'm leaving for the wedding festivities tomorrow WHICH IS WHY I REQUESTED DRESS TODAY!!!! Again, we're sorry - rather than an apology -here's something purposeful -have someone call UPS and demand they live up to your delivery promise - we'll try - call back five minutes later - no sorry, they can't get it to you until tomorrow. SERIOUSLY!!!! What RTR could do very quickly was to cancel the delivery when I told them I would not be held liable for a delivery that would stay on my porch all weekend - that happened almost as fast the charge to my credit card in October. I don't usually write reviews - chalk bad experiences as part of life - but this is a special occasion and I was left scrambling. Thank goodness for Macy's - found a better dress, less money and know it fits perfectly. I tried to be modern but my advice - skip this horrible company and go shopping -you may not be able to afford a full price designer garment but at least you'll be secure in having the garment in time for the occasion. HORRIBLE COMPANY !

nicoles358
1/4/19

What a train wreck of an experience! People primarily use RTR for big life events and they have shown over and over what a colossal disappointment they are. If you have a date you are counting on and want to look your best, do yourself a favor and just shop for what you need and guarantee you have what you need lined up instead of scrambling at the last minute because RTR falls short (yet again). Once they blamed "weather" and once they blamed the person who rented it before me. Neither of these are my problem RTR. It's up to you to make it right. And what did you do? Offer me a coupon for a future disaster to give you another chance only to tell me it expires? Good riddance!

eg53
12/31/18

I've been an RTR Unlimited customer more than a year. Overall, it has been good. Some issues with quality and shipping, most were resolved adequately (I let a few slide). I am going to end my membership because the shipping issues are getting out of hand.
The fine print states that you need to allow 5 business days, but usually you get things faster. The problem is UPS has been dropped the ball on my 5 of my last 7 orders! The delay/mistake was always "updated" on the day of my delivery -- too late for me to do anything about it.
As a customer, I understand the Unlimited ship times are not as stringent as the 4- or 8-day rentals. But when the shipper gives you a date -- and then changes it literally last minute -- your plans get screwed up.
I don't understand why RTR lets the UPS get away with screwing over the customer. You'd think -- as such a large customer -- they'd hold UPS to a higher standard: making them bear the brunt of their mistakes (shipping discounts or credits? right?). But when UPS drops the ball, the paying customer gets screwed. Boo.

samm337
12/24/18

First order was great and on time. Then the issues began. I have Rtr unlimited for one month (a gift from a friend). You get 4 items per shipment and they are to arrive within 2 days. Once I sent my first shipment back and was waiting for the next, my issues started. My items were supposed to arrive 12/17 but never did. I followed up with Rtr a few times and finally on 12/18 at end of day they said I was notified the items were "lost" in the mail. So I'm completely out of luck but request to replace the shipment with other items, to be delivered 12/19-12/21. Fine. Then that shipment didn't arrive. I was notified it'll get here 12/26. After the holidays. Containing my outfits for Christmas and Christmas Eve. So now I have wasted my time and energy on 2 packages, but I've also lost over 1 week of outfits - given that this is an unlimited service, I'm calling bull$#*!. This service is $159 per month, but clearly they cannot get it together to follow through on their offer of unlimited. Be warned. Super unreliable.

ks342
12/21/18

I ordered a dress a month ago because I knew it would be busy during the holidays. My dress was supposed to arrive yesterday for my daughters wedding tomorrow night, but somehow it was "lost" in the mail. So I'm completely out of luck because they can't get a replacement to me by 4pm tomorrow. There has been absolutely no customer service- the people I spoke with on the phone were completely unhelpful. I will never use this company again and I will warn as many people as I can of my horrible experience.

daniellec186
12/17/18

I mistakenly put my RTR Update return in a USPS mailbox on 12/3. My local post office said that they passed the package to UPS on 12/5 but informed me that the tracking # had changed so I had no idea where the package was. I spent hours trying to track down this package and finally it arrived at the facility today (2 weeks later). RTR charged me $800 originally and now that my return finally arrived they're saying I can only receive a 30% refund which means I'm still loosing $577. Very disappointed in this service. Do not sign up for their monthly membership it's definitely not worth it. I was a loyal customers and I will never use RTR again.

lisas498
12/10/18

Watch out! The fine print of the agreement you MUST sign to rent anything from this company indicates that they may charge you a $50 late fee per item that THEY CLAIM was returned late. They do not have to support their claim that an item was returned late and you will not be able to get any shipping information to prove you returned something on time because the pre-paid label is provided by Rent the Runway and they have all of the shipping information, (which they will refuse to provide you with).

They charged two of the bridesmaids in my wedding a total of $2,200 in late fees! I had three different conversations with three different customer service reps for this company. All 3 basically just kept restating that this is the company's practice to do this and they have no obligation to back up their claim that an item was returned late. And yes, they will charge 3 times the value of the dress, and no, they don't have to support their stated value of the dress, and no you may not have the dress that you just paid $1,000 for.

I don't believe the positive reviews are legitimate, (probably posted by the company), and I urge you to read the reviews from the many customers that have had this happen to them before you hand over your credit card information to this company.

Tip for consumers: I would not recommend anyone use this site. But if you do, do not return the dresses using the prepaid postage label they provide you with. You will have no way to prove when the items were returned and they claim dates of return that are not true whatsoever. The fees they then charge are outrageous.

cc405
12/9/18

Ordered 2 sizes of same Lace dress, package arrived late Friday. Took a look at them Say AM One dress had the inner lining jaggedly cut out at mini skirt ht, the larger dress had the neckline so stretched out it was flapping. I began trying to contact RTR customer service waited on hold over an hr. Wore something else. Continued attempts to contact RTR... on hold each time No one ever can to the "Chat" ... days later I found an email address as I hunted through the site. I sent an email with my concern (by this time the dress was returned to RTR)

They answered by email 3 days later and said "no refund/store credit because I failed to contact them within 48 hrs of receiving the dress"! Oh my goodness. No More on this. RTR was great in 2012 no longer

Stay away

cs298
12/7/18

Package late, had nothing to wear to my black tie event. RTR customer service (on the phone) was shockingly bad. The RTR associate was bored, condescending, and dismissive. In contrast, I called UPS and while they couldn't help me either, they were crisp, professional, and understanding. World of difference. RTR - you can do better.

mollym93
12/3/18

I've rented from rent the runway 4 times, and only once have they actually sent me the dress I selected. This is unacceptable! Who pays for a service that only gets it right 25% of the time? Will not be renting again.

angelam439
12/2/18

I've ordered from RTR 3 times. The first time was great, I received my dress and it fit perfectly. I never received my next two orders, one in the summer and one recently on November 30, 2018. I sent an email with no response and got no response from the chat. I finally was able to get through by phone where they blamed the shipping company. I explained that it was their responsibility to make sure the dress got to me on the date they said it would, but just said they shipped it out when they said they would and it was UPS who didn't get it shipped to me. No responsibility taken whatsoever. I'll never use this company again. Terrible customer service.

jov15
12/2/18

I rented several pieces from Rent the Runway for special occasions and had a good experience. I then signed up for the Unlimited Membership which I do not recommend since the clothes are often too worn out to use. When I brought my concerns up I was offered a $20 discount and then it was impossible to cancel. The kept billing me and didn't issue a refund for the month they billed and me where my membership wasn't active. I only notice their mistake went on their site to look for a dress for a single rental and saw they still had me as a member and didn't issue a refund for $173.

staceyh96
12/1/18

Ordered a great dress in two sizes. Resevation confirmed the two sizes were available or I would not have ordered. The fancy cocktail dress arrives and the one size doesn't fit. Apparently they ran out of the other size and never told me. Instead they changed to another style dress. The second style is not even a cocktail dress but an ugly drab flower curtain like dress. Not a fancy cocktail dress like I ordered. Four hours to my event I am left with no dress and a pricey rental I can't wear. The stylist never phoned to say they were changing out the dress and ask for my feedback on a different dress (which I would have done). I had to run to the mall, I'm now wearing a dress I don't feel great in and I have to wait for RTR to refund me for at least five days. I waited on the phone for over 45 minutes with no response, tried using their chat feature that was clearly automated and cut me off because no one was available to help. Finally spoke with someone that gave a half assed apology and email with a 20% off promo code. I had a few good experiences prior but would never use them again. They left me stressed and just not feeling my best at a formal event. Overall, I would stay away from them unless you want to feel stressed looking for a dress at the last minute.

meghanm52
12/1/18

Super disappointing. I was looking forward to my dress coming all week. It never came, and it actually could've arrived on time but RTR deselected Saturday delivery, so now the dress may (or may not) come on Monday. My event is tonight (Saturday night), so it's completely useless. This is my first and last time renting from RTR.

traceyh91
11/27/18

I bought an unlimited membership. Big mistake. Called as my second shipment did not arrive. 8 times. Emailed several times. No response.

debbiem113
11/26/18

I ordered my dress,plus my second size, plus my backup for a total of three dresses. I placed my order in September for a Dec 1st event. One week before on Nov 24th I get an email saying they are "sincerely sorry" but they cannot fill my order. They took payment in September and now one week away I am supposed to get another gown for a holiday event when everything is sold out. Their website has nothing but glowing reviews but this site is from real people with real reviews of businesses. I will always use this site in the future because you will know this is real. If you can't trust a company to deliver shop somewhere else. Its not worth it.

daniw15
11/26/18

I went to an event at We Work in Chicago (west loop) and spent time chatting with a stylist about RTR and their unlimited service, which I had been contemplating for some time now. I was never given a verbal expiration date, in fact, when I asked if I had to use it right away the stylist said no it can be activated when you are ready. So I browse the app/website for a week or so to see what I should start with first. After favoriting 100+ items, I was excited to start my trial month, but the code says it is not recognized. I decide to chat with a representative who tells me that the code expired on 11/24. Oddly this was not only not mentioned to me, but I was also told there was not an expiration date and there is not one on the card. This is extremely disappointing. The customer service was less than desired- with a long initial wait time and then a few minuted between each response, only to hear that there is nothing that can be done to help me and a very insincere "sorry" (only mentioned once during the conversation). I get that promo codes have to expire but how is it fair if you don't mention the dates anywhere on the card OR in person? I would have happily entered my card two days prior had I known that it was going to expire. This has been a less than impressive RTR experience, which is sad because I was quite interested in becoming a regular monthly subscriber.

oliviao19
11/16/18

Paid $151.57 per month for the Unlimited subscription service. When I called to cancel it, the girl on the phone convinced me to just put the account on "hold" for 6 months. I am extremely busy and do not have time to check my credit card every single day. To my shock, I later found out that they had kept billing for the months my account was on "hold" EVEN THOUGH I DID NOT PLACE ANY ORDERS. THEY REFUSED TO REVERSE THE CHARGES, I am reporting to the police and the BBB. DO NOT USE THEIR SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE.

kristene24
11/15/18

My dress was supposed to be delivered yesterday before 8:00PM and I never received it. Their customer service said it was open until 9pm and I emailed several times and tried chatting with an agent online and not one SINGLE person answered me back. Called this morning to be put on hold for 20 minutes and when someone finally answered we had to go back forth through phone calls 4 different times for them to tell me that my dress would get to my house which is an HOUR away from my work sometime around 2pm. I expressed the importance of this dress getting to my place of business because my event was at 5pm and I work all day and can't leave to drive an hour there and an hour back. She said in order to change the address it would delay it by a day!!!!! I'm like I NEED the dress Tonight, it's not going to help me if it gets here tomorrow. The refund is going to 5 days or longer to get my money back! Do NOT rent from this website! It's a JOKE!!!!!!

jewelh13
11/14/18

Overall my experience is pretty good, I like most of my rentings and the shipping is fast.

The only one horrible experience was the orange blouses I rented. It's smelly and broken! Funny thing is, the website only allow good reviews being posted, while block the bad reviews.

I always left positive reviews if I felt the clothes are very nice and the service was good. However, I found out that my one review about that orange top never got posted to the website, that kind of let me wonder how many other people's different voice being blocked too. This does not fit business ethic at all. Very disappointed.

Also, on the review page, there is a link saying if you have any concerns about the product please contact us. I was trying to contact whoever is responsible for customer satisfication, unfortunately, the link didn't even exit. I can't even have a place to get any feedback from my horrible experience. This is a huge impact on always good impression about RTR.

lesliej68
11/10/18

I ordered a dress 2 months before a black tie event. The day my dress was to be delivered they sent me an email saying they did not have the dress in my size because someone had returned it too late to get it cleaned and sent to me. They said their stylist picked out another dress for me and was being sent. I did not like the dress their stylist picked for me and told them NOT TO SEND IT. They sent it anyway, I did not like the dress and it was too big. I immediately sent it back. They kept sending me emails saying they were sorry and would give me a 25% discount on my next dress rental. I told them to forget it....I had no intention of ever trusting them or using them again!!

abbyw31
11/7/18

I rented a dress for a black tie event 6 weeks before the event. As the event approached, I received an email my dress was delivered. Come to find out, it was delivered to not only the wrong address but the wrong town. After contacting custom service (waiting for a rep for 40 mins) I was basically told there is no solution. She kept telling me it was delivered... Which wasn't the case. They do not offer overnight service so don't even think about trying to ask... then she told me once the dress is returned to their office, I will receive a refund.... Again, the event was in a day and I still had no dress.... They proceeded to tell me I would receive 20% off my next order as an apology... I will never order from them again so it is not much of an apology... The dress showed up on my door step 5 days after the event date.

Awful service and rude customer service. As a company who offers 4 day rentals, you should expect things could happen with the shipping and consider offering overnight services....

Never. again.

To top it all off, 4 other women rented from RTR for the black tie event that weekend and not a single one wore the dress they rented for one reason or another.

joyced80
11/5/18

I was invited to a black tie event out of town. I placed an order for some dresses, jewelry, and a clutch. I even called customer service to make sure I would have it in time. The day it was scheduled to arrive, I waited 2 hours beyond the time I was told it would and finally received an email indicating their was a problem at the warehouse and my product was not shipped. I immediately called customer service and demanded to speak to a manager. I was connected to one and was assured I would have replacement product at my hotel the next day which was the date of the event. The next day about noon, I received a second email indicating that my product would not be shipped. I had just enough time to scurry around the very expensive local shops and find a dress which cost me some money. Two days later, I come home from work and there on my doorstep is the package from Rent the Runway. I called customer service once again and received apologies but no action.

I'm having an issue currently with not having the dresses picked up from the UPS. @elizabeth N. What was the solution that they provided you? I'm freaking out because I put the dresses in the dropbox and followed all the rules and now I'm going to get changed for 2 dresses that I didn't EVEN WEAR!!! Help!

By Meredith S.

I signed up for unlimited membership on a Saturday made my selections - the website showed it'll be delivered by Tuesday 8 PM - didn't get here for almost a week! What's the point of getting unlimited when they purposely hold items and don't notify the customers when the items are not up to par or available the when you're told it will be. Membership is not worth it - I called customer service - on Wednesday to ensure my dresses got here Thursday - she assured me they will get there --- NOPE! LIES! I had to return the dresses same day it was delivered because they came too late!

By Sarah K.

Questions? Get answers from the Rent The Runway staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Rent The Runway