Review of Rent The Runway

Tel: 1.800.509.0842
eweinstein@renttherunway.com

amandam459
4/16/19

I have used this app for a couple of months and it was going great until all of a sudden my card information disappeared from the app, so now I am unable to purchase orders through that app and it only works on a desktop.

Every time I try to call customer service or email they tell me everything looks fine on their website so it is good to go, but it is NOT because I cannot use the app.

It has been 2 weeks now with no results and I am considering canceling due to these tech issues and lack of good customer service.

kimberlyl188
4/14/19

I have been an Unlimited Member for over a year now. Overall, I like it and will continue to use it because I love being able to rotate my wardrobe so much. However, I very much agree with other reviewers who have expressed frustration with not being able to rent items they like. The inventory of clothes is just not large enough given the amount of members, in my opinion. It's really difficult if not impossible to get the items you like because they are usually unavailable when it's time to rent. I find this is especially true when trying to select a more formal dress. Slim pickings. Making lists ahead of time is a waste--none of those items will be available. If you are admiring something, so is every other member. The Unlimited customer who will have the best experience is the one who is very flexible about what she wears. I do find that customer service is helpful/supportive and they respond in a timely manner. I have also been happy with how quickly my items arrive at my home. I hope that RTR will continue to improve upon this great concept it's started.

emilyh270
4/12/19

I was looking to rent a few pieces for my trip coming up and decided to create an account and pay for their upgraded membership.

Unfortunately, their checkout page doesn't even work. I was prompted to enter my shipping address and billing information which I did and tried to submit. Each time, an error message came back saying I did not enter in a shipping address. I thought there was something wrong with their server at the moment so decided to leave it be for a couple hours. Fast forward few hours later, same problem persists and I decide to call the number prompted by the error message.

The selling point to why I will never use this website again is there customer service. I was finally able to get a hold of someone on the line and she sounded rude and unapologetic about their system being wack! She asked me if I lived in apartment which I told her no, my address is a single home residence then put me on hold for more than 10 minutes. When she got back to the line, she just confirmed that it was a bug on their website since she tried to enter in the address on her side and it wasn't working either.

Well? What am I suppose to do? According to this representative, she told me to keep trying until it worked which I gladly said, I will never return to their website again. What a waste of time.

I guess, I got lucky today since their system had problems. I didn't read the reviews for this website beforehand and with such low reviews, I doubt there wouldn't be more problems once I start renting.

Also, its weird that they don't have an option to remove address and billing information you saved into their website. This should be illegal, anyone should have the right to delete there personal information from the website. I will have to call them again about this since I wanted to delete my account.

roxannec30
4/12/19

I ordered an outfit for my bachelorette party over a month ago for delivery scheduled on Thursday. They emailed at 7pm on Wednesday to inform me that the jumpsuit was no longer available basically because either the last person didn't return it in time or damaged it. They said they had picked me out another similar option to send along with my secondary size, and if those didn't work to let them know as soon as I got my package and they would overnight another outfit. I was extremely disappointed because I picked my outfit months ago for this special event. I saw a photo of the other option they sent which, was a totally different style and did not seem to be thoughtfully chosen for me. Then on Thursday AM I got a shipment confirmation (again item was requested to arrive on Thursday) but it said that the package had been dropped off to the courier late and to expect at least a day delay. At this point I wrote to customer service to express my concerns. I also asked if I could get a refund as they weren't providing the item I ordered or anything at the time expected. Customer service ignored my inquiry about a refund and proceeded to provide unrealistic options for how they could provide another outfit by Saturday at noon. I let them know that this wouldn't work because of my schedule and seemed like a huge risk, because if this package didn't arrive or didn't work I would really have nothing and no time to shop for something else. Again I asked if I would be refunded. At this point I received a passive aggressive email telling me that I would be refunded and they had requested the package be returned to them. I was shocked. I though that I would get a refund regardless of if I choose to wear the secondary size (quite sure it wasn't going to fit anyway from others reviews) or the other option they provided, because regardless they could not send me what I have actually ordered. I wrote back to tell them I was surprised and felt this was very poor service and they did not answer. They did not provide me any further confirmation of a refund and so far nothing has been refunded. I now have to rush around to shop for an outfit the day of my event. This was my first attempt to use RTR and I will never attempt to again. I could have purchased similar outfits online do the same or less amount of money. I envisioned myself in the outfit for my bachelorette party and I'm sure many women who order from RTR are choosing something for a special day! It is just too big a risk to know that at the last minute they may not have your item and/or if won't be delivered at the requested time. To add a horrific and insincere customer service experience is inexcusable.

Tip for consumers: Stay away!

juliel311
3/31/19

I tried this subscription for four months. The cons by far out weigh the pros. I have a two page list of favorite pieces that have spent literally hours searching and updating. The problem is when it is time to rent, literally all of them are unavailable. I end up renting things I barely like then often have to return or exchange which costs more money and more shipping days so the time I have the clothes available is very short. The customer service people are nice which is why I didn't give this rating a one star. Just spend your time and money on something you can try on, take home and actually like.

christinef136
3/17/19

So if you do unlimited and take out 4 items and on average 2 don't even fit so you send them back it takes 3 days to get back to the facility and another 5 days before whatever you pick out gets to you. This is assuming you pick something out I instantly. So that's on average 3 times you can swap a month assuming you plan on renewing. I myself would not pay 160 dollars for 24 of my days to be spent in transit, assuming you somehow check out 3 times a month (unlikely). And rememberon average half of those won't fit despite all being the same size.

jmhj
3/13/19

I rented for the first time and the dress came damaged and they could not send a replacement, kept trying to push me into other dresses I did not like. Second time I contacted as the day before I was due to receive the dress (which was two days before I left for vacation) and was told it would ship out overnight. Well the tracking later on stated it missed the last pickup and would be shipped next day, then was delayed by weather. If they shipped out on time I would have gotten it. They ruined two big birthday events in one month. Lodged a complaint with BBB and surprise surprise they have not replied. I just want my money back and for the pro membership I brought. I have disputed my credit card and will not give up

jessicah369
3/4/19

I rented this dress weeks before I needed it for the event. I rented it for family photos. My entire family color coordinated their outfits based off of what I was wearing. Unfortunately, the dress never came. The dress was suppose to come on a Friday and when it didn't come late in the evening however, I called and was told it would be delivered the next day (which was the day of the photos). The dress didn't come for hours. I called customer service again (which took over 40 minutes to actually talk to someone) only to be told that the dress was never placed on the truck to be delivered and that it would not be coming. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointment. There was no time to try to find an additional outfit. I spent a lot of money on family pictures and outfits for my family to coordinate with the photos. Therefore, I would recommend always having a backup plan. This was my second experience with RTR and the first experience went extremely well however, after this second negative experience, I likely won't be using them again.

lauram668
3/1/19

Ordered 3 dresses 5 weeks ago to be delivered on a Wednesday before a huge event on Saturday. I always check the progress of my RTR. On Tuesday the package gets held up in Little Rock and then on Wednesday had not moved. Called UPS who told me to contact RTR. UPS also said the package was lost. LOST? In today's age how is it LOST. They scan everything. Hell they know if their Ups drivers have walked to the front door or the back. So they overnight new dresses -not the ones I wanted. But today-Friday it says the RTR original order is back at RTR. How? I'm seriously thinking of not using RTR anymore. Obviously their deal' with UPS is screwed up.

stephaniet156
2/27/19

I used to love the unlimited service and would be so excited seeing the blue bag waiting for me at home. However, the service and quality control of the employees as well as the declining quality of merchandise has me ready to quit after several years of subscription. I've had multiple issues with items returned that they don't scan back in, leaving me having to stress and work with them to find it. I've had shipments sent in bags that were so beyond damaged, the dresses were falling out as they are delivered, but if I send two back in a bag I can't prove it was returned (like when they don't scan it in as mentioned above which happens more often than you'd think). That's not even taking into account the merchandise quality control issues - stains, tears, unraveling hens, hems redone quickly and unevenly in a mis-matching thread, dirty clothes, used Kleenex and melted chocolate in the pockets (gross!!!). Then there is the actual clothing - what used to be high end glamour things has been downgraded. Often the few they have are out in almost all sizes, leaving you to try to decide between a tent dress that flatters no one or a pair of Levi's (really??? Levi's is what I pay $150/month for??).

emilyh262
2/25/19

Worst site ever. Why the f* would I want to sort between regular and maternity dresses when I'm not pregnant. There is no filter to sort out the maternity wear so you're left with having to sift through them. Waste of time... JUST CREATE A FILTER. So asinine.

deborah12
2/7/19

I signed up for a promo and then returned all clothing (shop worn, yuck) within a few days of receiving. THey continue to charge my cc 171.00 monthly as they need to file a claim for the lost return and won't cancel my account until then. The UPS tracking shows it was picked up from me but never delivered to them (how is this my problem????) Customer service says oh well so sad you didn't read the fine print!!!! NEVER do business with these losers....

dannal1
1/11/19

Do not rent from this company! I retuned my rentened items and they charged me 250. Talked to a manager and they were not sympathetic/helpful. terrible customer service and company.

patm336
1/10/19

What a horrible experience. I'm attending a wedding on Saturday; a very special occasion - the wedding of my life partner's son. I ordered the dress 3 months ago; all correspondence from RTR promised the dress today, Thursday. This seemed perfect-enough time to try on, decide on shoes, undergarments, etc. I received an email on Tuesday that the dress had been shipped = awesome!!!!! Began tracking - oh,oh, dress stayed in PA for 24 hours. Left PA at 6:45 WED morning - yay , it should be able to reach MA by Thursday promised delivery date - right???? WRONG I find out at 11:30 today, via tracking, that the UPS estimated delivery date is by 8:00 p.m. tomorrow-way too late to accommodate my plans. Delivery seemed to have stopped in a MA location one hour away from my home.I called RTR, customer service rep reviewed tracking info and agreed dress will not be delivered today and went into automatic apology mode - wonderful - except I can't wear a freaking apology. I'm not a difficult person - I needed dress today as I'm leaving for the wedding festivities tomorrow WHICH IS WHY I REQUESTED DRESS TODAY!!!! Again, we're sorry - rather than an apology -here's something purposeful -have someone call UPS and demand they live up to your delivery promise - we'll try - call back five minutes later - no sorry, they can't get it to you until tomorrow. SERIOUSLY!!!! What RTR could do very quickly was to cancel the delivery when I told them I would not be held liable for a delivery that would stay on my porch all weekend - that happened almost as fast the charge to my credit card in October. I don't usually write reviews - chalk bad experiences as part of life - but this is a special occasion and I was left scrambling. Thank goodness for Macy's - found a better dress, less money and know it fits perfectly. I tried to be modern but my advice - skip this horrible company and go shopping -you may not be able to afford a full price designer garment but at least you'll be secure in having the garment in time for the occasion. HORRIBLE COMPANY !

nicoles358
1/4/19

What a train wreck of an experience! People primarily use RTR for big life events and they have shown over and over what a colossal disappointment they are. If you have a date you are counting on and want to look your best, do yourself a favor and just shop for what you need and guarantee you have what you need lined up instead of scrambling at the last minute because RTR falls short (yet again). Once they blamed "weather" and once they blamed the person who rented it before me. Neither of these are my problem RTR. It's up to you to make it right. And what did you do? Offer me a coupon for a future disaster to give you another chance only to tell me it expires? Good riddance!

eg53
12/31/18

I've been an RTR Unlimited customer more than a year. Overall, it has been good. Some issues with quality and shipping, most were resolved adequately (I let a few slide). I am going to end my membership because the shipping issues are getting out of hand.
The fine print states that you need to allow 5 business days, but usually you get things faster. The problem is UPS has been dropped the ball on my 5 of my last 7 orders! The delay/mistake was always "updated" on the day of my delivery -- too late for me to do anything about it.
As a customer, I understand the Unlimited ship times are not as stringent as the 4- or 8-day rentals. But when the shipper gives you a date -- and then changes it literally last minute -- your plans get screwed up.
I don't understand why RTR lets the UPS get away with screwing over the customer. You'd think -- as such a large customer -- they'd hold UPS to a higher standard: making them bear the brunt of their mistakes (shipping discounts or credits? right?). But when UPS drops the ball, the paying customer gets screwed. Boo.

samm337
12/24/18

First order was great and on time. Then the issues began. I have Rtr unlimited for one month (a gift from a friend). You get 4 items per shipment and they are to arrive within 2 days. Once I sent my first shipment back and was waiting for the next, my issues started. My items were supposed to arrive 12/17 but never did. I followed up with Rtr a few times and finally on 12/18 at end of day they said I was notified the items were "lost" in the mail. So I'm completely out of luck but request to replace the shipment with other items, to be delivered 12/19-12/21. Fine. Then that shipment didn't arrive. I was notified it'll get here 12/26. After the holidays. Containing my outfits for Christmas and Christmas Eve. So now I have wasted my time and energy on 2 packages, but I've also lost over 1 week of outfits - given that this is an unlimited service, I'm calling bull$#*!. This service is $159 per month, but clearly they cannot get it together to follow through on their offer of unlimited. Be warned. Super unreliable.

ks342
12/21/18

I ordered a dress a month ago because I knew it would be busy during the holidays. My dress was supposed to arrive yesterday for my daughters wedding tomorrow night, but somehow it was "lost" in the mail. So I'm completely out of luck because they can't get a replacement to me by 4pm tomorrow. There has been absolutely no customer service- the people I spoke with on the phone were completely unhelpful. I will never use this company again and I will warn as many people as I can of my horrible experience.

daniellec186
12/17/18

I mistakenly put my RTR Update return in a USPS mailbox on 12/3. My local post office said that they passed the package to UPS on 12/5 but informed me that the tracking # had changed so I had no idea where the package was. I spent hours trying to track down this package and finally it arrived at the facility today (2 weeks later). RTR charged me $800 originally and now that my return finally arrived they're saying I can only receive a 30% refund which means I'm still loosing $577. Very disappointed in this service. Do not sign up for their monthly membership it's definitely not worth it. I was a loyal customers and I will never use RTR again.

lisas498
12/10/18

Watch out! The fine print of the agreement you MUST sign to rent anything from this company indicates that they may charge you a $50 late fee per item that THEY CLAIM was returned late. They do not have to support their claim that an item was returned late and you will not be able to get any shipping information to prove you returned something on time because the pre-paid label is provided by Rent the Runway and they have all of the shipping information, (which they will refuse to provide you with).

They charged two of the bridesmaids in my wedding a total of $2,200 in late fees! I had three different conversations with three different customer service reps for this company. All 3 basically just kept restating that this is the company's practice to do this and they have no obligation to back up their claim that an item was returned late. And yes, they will charge 3 times the value of the dress, and no, they don't have to support their stated value of the dress, and no you may not have the dress that you just paid $1,000 for.

I don't believe the positive reviews are legitimate, (probably posted by the company), and I urge you to read the reviews from the many customers that have had this happen to them before you hand over your credit card information to this company.

Tip for consumers: I would not recommend anyone use this site. But if you do, do not return the dresses using the prepaid postage label they provide you with. You will have no way to prove when the items were returned and they claim dates of return that are not true whatsoever. The fees they then charge are outrageous.

cc405
12/9/18

Ordered 2 sizes of same Lace dress, package arrived late Friday. Took a look at them Say AM One dress had the inner lining jaggedly cut out at mini skirt ht, the larger dress had the neckline so stretched out it was flapping. I began trying to contact RTR customer service waited on hold over an hr. Wore something else. Continued attempts to contact RTR... on hold each time No one ever can to the "Chat" ... days later I found an email address as I hunted through the site. I sent an email with my concern (by this time the dress was returned to RTR)

They answered by email 3 days later and said "no refund/store credit because I failed to contact them within 48 hrs of receiving the dress"! Oh my goodness. No More on this. RTR was great in 2012 no longer

Stay away

cs298
12/7/18

Package late, had nothing to wear to my black tie event. RTR customer service (on the phone) was shockingly bad. The RTR associate was bored, condescending, and dismissive. In contrast, I called UPS and while they couldn't help me either, they were crisp, professional, and understanding. World of difference. RTR - you can do better.

mollym93
12/3/18

I've rented from rent the runway 4 times, and only once have they actually sent me the dress I selected. This is unacceptable! Who pays for a service that only gets it right 25% of the time? Will not be renting again.

angelam439
12/2/18

I've ordered from RTR 3 times. The first time was great, I received my dress and it fit perfectly. I never received my next two orders, one in the summer and one recently on November 30, 2018. I sent an email with no response and got no response from the chat. I finally was able to get through by phone where they blamed the shipping company. I explained that it was their responsibility to make sure the dress got to me on the date they said it would, but just said they shipped it out when they said they would and it was UPS who didn't get it shipped to me. No responsibility taken whatsoever. I'll never use this company again. Terrible customer service.

jov15
12/2/18

I rented several pieces from Rent the Runway for special occasions and had a good experience. I then signed up for the Unlimited Membership which I do not recommend since the clothes are often too worn out to use. When I brought my concerns up I was offered a $20 discount and then it was impossible to cancel. The kept billing me and didn't issue a refund for the month they billed and me where my membership wasn't active. I only notice their mistake went on their site to look for a dress for a single rental and saw they still had me as a member and didn't issue a refund for $173.

I'm having an issue currently with not having the dresses picked up from the UPS. @elizabeth N. What was the solution that they provided you? I'm freaking out because I put the dresses in the dropbox and followed all the rules and now I'm going to get changed for 2 dresses that I didn't EVEN WEAR!!! Help!

By Meredith S.

I signed up for unlimited membership on a Saturday made my selections - the website showed it'll be delivered by Tuesday 8 PM - didn't get here for almost a week! What's the point of getting unlimited when they purposely hold items and don't notify the customers when the items are not up to par or available the when you're told it will be. Membership is not worth it - I called customer service - on Wednesday to ensure my dresses got here Thursday - she assured me they will get there --- NOPE! LIES! I had to return the dresses same day it was delivered because they came too late!

By Sarah K.

Questions? Get answers from the Rent The Runway staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Rent The Runway