Review of Rent The Runway

Tel: 1.800.509.0842
eweinstein@renttherunway.com

nichoelm
7/2/19

I was informed via email at 2pm (the day before my dresses were due to arrive) that the dress I reserved MONTHS ago was suddenly unavailable and I had until 6pm that day to respond with an alternate or they would "pick" one for me. I work swing shift and didn't get the email until it was too late and the dress staff selected is hideous. My event is Saturday and I now am out $ and have nothing to wear. So disappointed.

kanwalp2
6/26/19

Literally a waste of my time and money. If you do their one time deal as in rent the runway for individual outfits not the u limited - forget about actually ever getting an outfit. I've used them a few times and each time I couldn't actually get said outfit because it "wasn't" returned in time.

So if you want to have your time and money wasted then use this site.

michellet295
6/25/19

Filed complaint with better business bureau:
I signed up for their free trial of unlimited rental service. At the end of the trial period, I went on-line to my account to find information on how to cancel and to see my contract. Under my account information, there was no credit card on file nor any subscription information for which I was registered. I therefore did not believe I was under obligation or signed up for the unlimited services. I never once received an email invoice with charges to my account. Five months later I discovered the charges ($167 for 5 months) for which I never rent or received services. I called several times for reimbursement and they told me they did not have the authority and that a manager would call me back but they never did. They couldn't even transfer me to a manager. Customer service was rude and clearly intent on disbelieving and deceiving customers. The're website says pause or cancel anytime but when you call them it always says "high call volume" and you never get through, making it impossible or difficult to cancel their service. I have paid them $835 for no products or services. This business is a scam.

casse2
6/23/19

let me tell you about my experience with rent the runway. When i went into the store my order was messed up twice and i had to wait half an hour when placing the original order. I was then late to work.

I was told everything would be taken care of and tried to move on assured that customer service would b able to assist me with all further needs. Well I have called seven times, emailed three times. I am getting no response via email your chat had not been up all week. Your customer service call back times are 2-3 hours and when you speak to a rep they tell you they will take care of it and then nothing is done. I am now getting emails telling me to return something that 1. I do not have 2. That i was assured would be canceled.

And here I am. 100$ short, no merchandise and a lot of wasted time.

Tip for consumers: Dont.

juliew312
6/21/19

I am a long-time member of the unlimited service and have referred countless people to RTR. I used to LOVE the unlimited option until a couple of months ago. I think they ran a new promotion and then became overwhelmed with volume. I recently was sent a dress that I had NEVER SEEN BEFORE and certainly didn't order. When I tried to call, I was on hold for an hour and a half. Finally agreed to get a call back, and it never came. I also think my upcoming Reserve order has disappeared, maybe because of this new random dress that was sent a week earlier than my Reserve was supposed to ship. WTF RTR. Go back to the old days!

jerryj106
6/19/19

They didn't include a return shipping label so I had to pay $50 out of pocket for return shipping. Had to wait 4 days for a response from RTR customer service. They were rude. They refunded me, but charged me for a late return (without telling me they were doing this). Overall they were rude, slow, and charged me for their mistakes. Also, it cost me $170 to "rent" a dress, wtf why didn't I just buy one? Pretty stupid of me to even try, I'll never use them again.

rj142
6/19/19

Customer service - nonexistent. Over 1 week to respond to email. Over 3 hours to return a phone call. When you finally get ahold of someone, there is nothing they cannot are willing to do.

Two shipping is a scam. They don't ship on weekends. They may not receive your items in two days. Items do not arrive in two days. When you contact them about this - they blame you and tell you "we try to tell you to be aware when shipping on Friday".

No refund for lost service days. When cancelling they will not refund you for partial service used.

Miserable to work with.

julies649
6/17/19

I've been an unlimited subscriber for several years and have loved the service up until a few months ago. They seem to have completely abandoned 2 day shipping both ways but have never alerted us to this change. Clothes take days longer to arrive. Too much of their efforts are being directed to their retail stores and customer service is nearly nonexistent. Phone calls leave you on hold for an hour or more and e-mails take 5 days to a week to be answered. This company used to cater to its members...no more. Renter beware.

carlynb1
6/17/19

RTR is pretty horrible. I reserved a Tory Burch bag and never received the item. (I live in a residential area with absolutely no crime). I suspect the problem is that thieves recognize the black RTR bags they ship items in. Well, the bag was ripped open and no handbag was inside. And guess who is responsible for the stolen item.....YOU are. And yes, it says so in their agreement that you sign.

If you enjoy gambling away your money in the hopes that your item will arrive....use this service. Otherwise, you might find yourself owing thousands of dollars.

Before this incident, I am not being hyperbolic when I say nearly half the items I ordered arrived stained, ripped, or smelling like B.O. If you like used clothing, find a reputable consignment shop.

amyj223
6/15/19

RTR is awful. I tried them for two months, they never had any of my sizes - the items showed up wrinkled or damaged half the time. And the real scam is that I've been trying to cancel unsuccessfully for a week! - it's clearly a scam to ensure you get hit with auto renew. I've called, they always prompt a 10 minute wait time but never actually pick up, I've left my phone and just went about my day for hours! NO ONE PICKS UP!! And the recording says if you leave your number, they'll call you back but I've done this three times with NOT ONE SINGLE CALL BACK! I've sent 4 emails to two different addresses and have heard nothing back in 5 days. JUST DONT RENT THE RUNWAY!

rachaelb59
6/14/19

RTR is awful. I tried them for two months, they never had any of my sizes - and more seemed available under the less expensive membership than Unlimited.

I've been trying to cancel unsuccessfully - it's nearly a scam to ensure you get hit with auto renew. I've called, they always prompt a 10 minute wait time and if you leave your number, they'll call you back hours later when you're likely unavailable. If you don't pick up, good luck ever reaching them. I've sent about 10 emails to two different addresses and have heard nothing back in 5 days.

Avoid this service at all costs.

candicey4
6/13/19

The service is absurd! customer service never picked up the phone. it is almost impossible to cancel the membership.

rr251
6/12/19

UPS didn't scan in my package so RTR doesn't know where it is and rather than have it built into their model to account for lost packages, they're charging me hundreds of dollars. After several weeks of $#*!ty customer service (unresponsive, unhelpful, unsympathetic, disorganized, disinterested, no initiative) I'm now disputing the charges with my bank in order to get a refund. No attempt by RTR to remedy the situation or otherwise.
Unbelievable. I'd expect this of the USPS but no one else. Sad, I wanted to love using it but unacceptable and offensive.

chloev7
6/4/19

Absolutely horrific service. Didn't get my items on time, had to go into the store to cancel the order, and am still being charged over a hundred dollars in late fees for items I never received. They are also giving me the run-around on who to talk to to get a refund for the "late fees."

mell62
6/1/19

So many mistakes and delays! The worst part is that they apologize for their mistakes and delays yet they don't rectify it. You orders will be cancelled then you will get defective or dirty items, items missing parts or hair stuck all over a sequin dress). They will tell you to return the item for another one but half the month will go by without having your order and they won't reimburse you, credit you extra days, send you an additional item or anything to make up for your loss. When you do return items, it won't show up on their end as returned even though it is according to the tracking number... another delay. You just paid 159.00 for a month where the service only worked for less than half of that month. Not worth the money or the hassle of returning stuff that was not in decent condition.

kelseyw41
6/1/19

Your service is terrible. I rented a dress for a wedding this Sunday 6/2 and I received the dress a few days early Wednesday 5/29. I was so excited I loved the dress that I picked out and this was supposed to be so easy for me I didn't have to shop at stores for hours for a dress that I would wear once. Thank god I opened the bag to look at the dress because there was a rip right under the zipper in the seam. I immediately emailed your customer service team around (9am EST on 5/30). Around 2pm I called your customer service hotline since I never heard anything back from the email (not too surprising but I needed to know what to do since I now didn't have a dress for the wedding). I was on hold for about 12 minutes the first time before putting my name in line for having a representative call me back (wait time was longer than 10 mins). Around 3:30 after not hearing anything again I called back. This time I waited on the phone for a hour and 9 mins and still was on hold after being extremely frustrated and without a dress for the wedding I hung up. Around 6:30 FOUR HOURS LATER I finally received a call back from you guys and by this time I had already shipped my dress back because it was damaged and I was unable to wear it. I had the dress for less than 12 hours. I am extremely disappointed with this service and especially since this was my first time using rent the runway. I will never use this service again it's a rip off nor will I ever recommend anyone to use your service. You could have had a loyal customer. Even if you had better customer service I would have been happy. I understand things happen and the rip was extremely hard to see while looking at the dresses just hanging there. I only noticed it when I unzipped the dress. It's now the day before the wedding and I still don't have a dress since I worked 2 11 hour days on Thursday and Friday. This dress was supposed to be something super easy and convenient for me and has turned into a complete nightmare for me.

pmirandak
5/31/19

So they have terrible customer service and when you ask to speak to a supervisor they tell you no one is around. Never again use them, I was a member most recently bought some items and they are the worst. STAY AWAY

sabrinau5
5/31/19

This troublesome company which claims to have "828k" reviews on their website and claim to have a 4.5 star rating has the worst customer service ever. A dress that I rented had an issue with it, so I called customer service and politely asked them to send another one. They wanted me to send this one back first, but I told them it was for a wedding and their shipment would not arrive in time, and asked if they could override or perhaps send the dress overnight, and that I would gladly pay extra. The cs person sneered at my polite request and put me on hold for a half hour. She came back and said there was no manager in to take care of the request at 2pm on a Thursday. (So what was she doing for 30 minutes?) Realizing this person was another miserable cs agent, and having several other negative experiences not unlike this experience, I asked for her name and proceeded to cancel my membership over the phone.

Avoid. Don't waste your time.

About a week later, and after I still hadn't received an apology, or follow-up call from management that I was promised, we posted a negative review on Yelp. They deleted it about a day later on the grounds that I was never a customer. Shady business tactics. If the company is so bad, and realizes it to the point they delete Yelp reviews instead of fix the systems and processes that result in poor reviews, that tells you everything you need to know about a bad company.

kitsyn
5/29/19

I made a mistake that I know hundreds of people have made before, certainly as first time customers -- I dropped the packed in the USPS mailbox, not at UPS. The fines swiftly mounted. UPS can't track the package, RTR had no way of submitting a claim for investigation (apparently) and now I've paid full price for the item. I called and emailed every possible avenue to track down this package. RTR did...nothing except collect my money. I'm done with them. Should have just bought the item.

Tip for consumers: Read the return policy and make sure it's worth it to you.

janeto66
5/28/19

I've been an RTR customer and subscriber for several years. I want to love it but after all kinds of continual problems, I give up. I've lost my patience and tolerance of poor customer service, garment quality issues, delivery issues, and inadequate remedies to company inefficiencies and inadequacies. Time after time after time garments are delivered in an inappropriate state, that is, torn, extreme wear, missing pieces, with inappropriate alterations and repairs, inadequately cleaned, and the like. Delivery problems are continual, even when trying the best to work with "system timing."
CUSTOMER SERVICE is HORRIBLE and only deteriorated over time. Reps are unwilling, unable to provide adequate, timely resolutions. I've contacted Customer Service on numerous occasions, and specifically recently, to have issues unanswered and unresolved FOR DAYS!
The services, subscriptions, rentals aren't cheap! It could be a good value if services offered and paid for were provided as expected and promised but they aren't! So there's no value!
RTR has driven me from being a loyal customer.

lilanid
5/24/19

I hesitated writing a review but this company finally made me hit my tipping point. Long story short. I rented a dress from them that gave me HIVES. It was disgusting (I'll spare the photo). When I told them all they did was "Thank me for letting them know". Seriously? Their customer service is terrible and I now question their supply chain and "cleaning practices". There are so many other services out there being the "first" to do something does not always mean the best.

annoyedc13
5/23/19

Mostly horrible quality clothes (cheaper than Walmart) I'm talking sizing, fabrics, fittings! Delivery is never on time. So you get nothing for your money because of transportation. Forgot to add 75% of the time your clothes smell like armpit!!! Gross

kaylab115
5/21/19

The worst customer service ever! They are unkind and will not help you! Always read the teeny tiny fine print! Apparently there are hidden fees and charges. I used a coupon on my first subscription for the $80 off 60 day trial and I only got $60 off of one month. I called to fix it and they refused even though I had the coupon and email to show the promotion I was supposed to get. I called ONE DAY after I purchased my subscription to realize I was over charged. I called customer service and they refused to do anything about it and said I could just cancel it. I have to wait until the items I chose full ship to me so that I can send it right back and hope I get my money back. Still waiting! Oh and fine print says that if the items don't make it back in reasonable time or if the items are lost in shipment I am responsible for paying for the full price of the items plus additional fees! One of the sun dresses I picked has a "retail price" of $800! Not worth the stress!

jennap37
5/17/19

Not only do you end up getting items you didn't pay for, their customer service (i.e. NICK "WITHOUT A LAST NAME") is horrible. I originally started as an RTR Update member but eventually canceled that membership due to items being out of stock at the last minute, not receiving shipments on time, and all the while still paying for those rental days without an extension OR a refund. I decided to give them a try once again for an event and I was reminded why I canceled in the first place. They replaced one of my items and contacted me at the very last minute. I did not like the replacement and asked to switch it out. However, the next notification I got was that "my" order was shipped! I called customer service and spoke with Nick (he told me he doesn't have a last name) and he said either a replacement can be sent (it won't arrive on time) OR to call them back IF I don't end up wearing the item that I didn't choose- don't worry, I won't...it's not me. And yet, somehow I'm still paying for this item to be shipped when I didn't select it in the first place.

lisaf390
5/13/19

I have used the services of Rent the Runway for about 6 years. When it started out, it was much less expensive, and you did not see 4 of the same outfit at events. I did Unlimited this month and when it came down to it, I wore 1 dress. The others were in ok condition, but did look worn. I believe they time it strategically, and ship at a slow rate, so one does not receive many different outfits. I have also found that the customer service is severely lacking. Another issue....."we are experiencing higher than normal shipping, so your items may be late...." No hire more people and fulfill your obligation to your customers. I will not be utilizing Rent the Runway in the future....also, the 4.5 star reviews on their website are for the clothing , not the company!

I'm having an issue currently with not having the dresses picked up from the UPS. @elizabeth N. What was the solution that they provided you? I'm freaking out because I put the dresses in the dropbox and followed all the rules and now I'm going to get changed for 2 dresses that I didn't EVEN WEAR!!! Help!

By Meredith S.

I signed up for unlimited membership on a Saturday made my selections - the website showed it'll be delivered by Tuesday 8 PM - didn't get here for almost a week! What's the point of getting unlimited when they purposely hold items and don't notify the customers when the items are not up to par or available the when you're told it will be. Membership is not worth it - I called customer service - on Wednesday to ensure my dresses got here Thursday - she assured me they will get there --- NOPE! LIES! I had to return the dresses same day it was delivered because they came too late!

By Sarah K.

Questions? Get answers from the Rent The Runway staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Rent The Runway