Review of REI

privacy@rei.com
2017 Customer choice award

claudes30
5/18/19

Second star only for the gear quality and friendly staff.I don't expect any company to bend their rules for customers. It would just be nice if they knew them. Clear pattern of zero training, and that includes managers.Almost as if they thrive on providing misinformation.

1. Return policy. Their web site clearly states REI will issue refunds for a manufacturer defect, which by phone I was informed is as determined by the store manager. When I brought in a malfunctioning GPS unit (freezing and rebooting) which started acting up after the 90 day warranty, manager refused to evaluate it and repeatedly said warranty's over, no full year warranty for outdoor electronics. I could have paid $100 less on Amazon but thought I was getting a defect warranty from REI. I tested my batteries and SIM card in their store display model myself, encountered the same issue, and determined my SIM card was probably at fault, not the GPS unit, but no one in the store was wiling to check this out on my behalf.

2. Scope of repair services. Intake tech said Silver Tune package for cross country skis includes repair with extrusion gun, not just sanding, because less is done to cross country than downhill skis. Bought the Silver Tune. Outtake tech said nah, you need the Gold Tune for that, but if we have time we try to do a little extra for the customers.OK, whatever. Why don't you just charge me the extra $15 bucks for the right service?

3. Use of REI credit card. Friendly associate told me I could call their online service to transfer credit card purchases I'd made in the store to my REI Mastercard, which I wasn't carrying at the time, so I could earn more dividend points. Great, so the lady on the phone says "I don't' know who told you that. You have to bring the purchases back to the store." You'd think it would end there. I went back to the store. They credited one card and debited the other but said it wasn't necessary for me to have hauled the merchandise back in.

4. Bored? This one's the most fun. They set up store and online purchases so you use your dividend refund unless you ask them not to. When I used my dividend toward boots I later returned, I could only get store credit, not a cash refund, because there was no payment source to return the money to. At the time I was temporarily unemployed and could have used the nearly $200 cash, not more gear. Now when I make a purchase and the cashier asks if I want to use my dividend, i tell this story and they say "Oh no, who did that? That's not right. You should be able to get a refund." I did get a refund, just not one of any use to me. They are basically good at smiling and taking your money. I always request a paper check for my dividend now. Their robots seem to behave consistently.

craigl120
5/15/19

I received an email from REI telling me my bike was ready to be picked up. I went to pick up the bike at the REI at Easton Mall and saw two them assembled and ready to go at the bike desk. I stood at the counter for 5 minutes before the tragic hipster bike tech stopped assembling something and looked at me. even then i had to say something to grab his attention. he came over and asked my name. he then asked if he had called me about my bike. i said "no. i received an email telling me to come and get the pick. bring an ID". the hipster told me bikes were only ready for pick up when he calls. well, why did i receive an email then? i explained there might be a mistake because sitting next to me was a completely assembled 24" Coop bike I purchased (two of them no less). the hipster told me "those bikes are not for you." lol - really? another REI employee standing next to him then asked the other tech if he had called the other people to let them know their bikes were ready (the same one i bought no less). he said "NO". now... customer service 101 dictates the natural course of action here would be to give me one of the assembled bikes. Nope - not at REI. to make matters worse i then had the terrible misfortune of having to deal with a supposed "manager" called Lauren. I showed Lauren the email stating "Your order is ready to be picked up." She then precipitated to apologize for the "confusing" email. ummm.... I told Lauren there is NOTHING confusing about the email. it says to come pick up your bike!!! Lauren was the rudest, snarkiest "manager" i have ever had to deal with in my 45 years on this earth. she told me "good day" as if to make a point she was done talking to me. thats right... SHE was done with ME. i wasnt there for a bike or anything. i wasnt there for customer service. i was there because Lauren permitted me to speak with her. She repeated multiple times "good day sir" as if I was an actor forgetting my lines in a bad play.

There was a time when i enjoyed REI. i love the gear. i love going there to look at new stuff. the people there have always been some of the nicest people on earth to deal with. the millennial hipsters working there now are the rudest asses east of the mississippi. what happened to REI??? THESE ARE THE FOLKS RUNNING THE SHOW THERE NOW???? i can understand the rude bike tech. his job is not to help me. his job is to assemble bikes. what on earth is REI's excuse for Lauren? they pay her to deal with people? REI sent me the dam email telling me the bike needed to be picked up!!!!!! I DIDNT ASK FOR THAT EMAIL!!!! In lieu of doing the right thing and giving me the assembled bike, they told me was ready to be picked up, I was treated horribly. my wife and son were with me. he knew his bike was ready!!! he sat on the bike!!!! i had to tell him I lied. his bike wasnt ready. i had to drive over an hour to get to that REI. its not around the corner and down the street. REI screwed up big time here. hell will freeze over before i buy another piece of gear from them or even a new winter coat for my kids. no matter how much i like REI. principle will prevent me from ever giving them another dollar.

C lenell

franciscau2
11/16/18

Dealing with REI's inefficiency and unprofessionalism was a truly unpleasant experience. I paid for a 1-day delivery because I needed to get a backpack before I left the US (I was leaving in 3 days but decided to pay for the 1-day delivery to be on the safe side). After a series of mistakes from their side and UPS's I ended up without a backpack nor any valid explanation from REI. On the contrary, I felt I was being mocked by their customer service - I called and chatted so many times to ask for their help and every time they would do something useless or that negatively affected the possibility of me getting the package on time. I wasted a lot of time and energy and dealing with this and I really regret not having gone to another retailer. Although their stores look nice I would never recommend buying from them because of how horrible their customer service is.

steveb665
9/15/18

REI states on
their web site under their return policy that: "If your item has a
manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any
time." Well, I found that that is not always the case. About eight
years ago I purchased some expensive hiking boots expressly for backpacking. Over
those eight years I have used those boots about 20 times. This year after my
last backpack trip I found that the sole of the boot was separating from the
shoe. I consider this a manufacturing defect and return the shoes to the
Clackamas REI where I purchased them. The sales person I talked with stated
that, due to the age, this was considered an "end of life" issue and they would
not accept a return even though their limited warranty does not state a time
limit on purchases. I told this person that the boots had only been used about
20 times but that made no difference. So beware that REI's return policy is not
as stated on their web site and they do not always stand behind their products as
they would like you to believe.

erikr46
8/6/18

I can always count on REI to carry the best quality gear. The service is excellent and if you have a brick and mortar location nearby, it is hard to beat. Membership entitles you to significant savings.

joshn30
5/8/18

A lot of "our system just works this way" which causes headaches in several areas.

For example, I placed an order for in-store pickup, but when I arrived, they hadn't picked the item yet. I said I could just grab it and bring it to the counter, but they couldn't do this because "our system doesn't allow it".

They refund purchases made with dividends by mailing a check without contacting you, despite this not being in their online T.O.C. They cannot refund dividend purchases in another way, again because of "our system won't allow it."

justinj59
5/1/18

Always received quality products, but have found their prices tend to be a bit inflated. GREAT selection of products though, and usually in stock. Always worth checking their "garage sales" too.

gregorym62
4/28/18

On March 1st 2018 REI has halted future orders of some popular brands including CamelBack water carriers, Giro helmets, and Camp Chef stoves - whose parent company, Vista Outdoor, also makes assault-style rifles . REI issued a statement noting that while it does not sell guns, it expects companies that do to help prevent mass shootings . My name is Gregory, i am an avid gun owner, some of my guns even look like assault rifles and i have never nor will i ever hurt any one with them. Because of the fact the REI obviously does not stand for the 2nd amendment i have cancelled my membership to begin my boycott of REI and aside from simply not using REI at all from now on i will also post the article which came from the Las Angeles Times. Good rittens. Gregory

graceb78
3/13/18

Ordered several things including gifts for my children. The day everything was sent out they emailed me to tell me one item was canceled. It was a gift for one of my daughters. One of my daughters will receive her gift and the other wont. They didnt ask if I would like to replace it. I asked if they would let me buy something else and give me 2 day shipping so their gifts would arrive on the same day. They would not. I used my dividend to pay for this purchase and instead of asking if I would like to replace the cancelled item with something else, they just automatically sent the dividend back in the mail. Terrible customer service.

williamd59
3/12/18

I recently ordered a bike from REI's web site and had it shipped and assembled at my local REI store. I was concerned because you can not track the shipping, but the bike arrived earlier than the estimation that was provided at checkout. Arrived within one week.
The sales guy that went over the bike with me at pick up was not so knowledgable about the bike and set up.
I checked the bike over when I got it home. Everything was properly torqued and brakes and gears all functioned well. Overall good experience.

jamesh542
2/8/18

Don't believe the 100% satisfaction guarantee. You may get a refund for your product price, but not shipping, even if defective, and no return shipping either. You will not be sent a replacement either. Instead, it's up to you to purchase the product again if you want a replacement, so the new cost will always be more than you got credited back. Satisfaction? No. Get something defective? Your loss, including shipping both ways.

jackm229
1/16/18

I can spend an hour just walking around,....the store has everything youre looking for and some things that youre probably not looking for.......Guaranteed to be Satisfied!

waynem103
9/9/17

I am a long standing REI member. I've shopped at three different REI stores in Southern CA and online. In-store assistance has ranged from nice people who don't know the products they're selling to truly exceptional knowledgeable helpful human beings.
Today, my wife and I went to the Santa Monica store. We had done our online research prior to going and were hoping to find what we needed at the store as a double dividends promotion was being offered for all in store purchases.

WOW!

Shopping for zero fall hiking shoes - my wife was assisted by a truly helpful patient knowledgeable gentleman. Shopping for a high impact cycling helmet - I was helped by a man who's name tag said ROMAN. He was exceptionable - extremely knowledgeable, helpful, personable, patient and through.

Suffice to say we purchased the products we came to find, and both left happy as well as informed about related items we will consider for our next purchases.

5 STAR for sure for sure.

katyr12
7/22/17

I love their 365 return window, and most of the employees I've talked to have been nice, and a very few have been knowledgeable, but overall, if there is any complication with an order, CS is not very good at troubleshooting. They don't seem to know the way their system works. I ordered a backordered item just to have it cancelled. I was okay with that, but when I checked in on it, I got different answers from most of the people I spoke to (things like, discontinued, not in stock, they didn't know when or if they'd get it again). It was when I called Backcountry Edge that I got some answers - it was a popular tent and would be more plentiful in the off-season. I have searched all over for this tent, and I dealt with REI, Backcountry Edge and Backcountry. I had the worst experience with REI. I won't be purchasing from them again, if I can help it.

Anyway, to the returns - I finally got my tent and didn't feel it would work, so back to REI it went. I knew I'd have to pay for the return shipping, but I will tell you a heavy tent will cost $75 to ship back. Other sites offer a return label, which gives the buyer a break - Backcountry and Backcountry Edge are both under $10. I don't have an REI near me, so returning to the store is out of the question. Done, dee, done done.

casss3
5/24/17

Just walked out of the new REI store off Rockville Pike. So disappointed. No one greeted or helped us or looked us in the eye. Seems you need to be white to get proper service.

ar8568
5/22/17

Satisfaction is definitely not the priority. I placed an online order for a gift and was given a delivery estimate of a week later. No notification and no product delivered. I contacted the store and was made to feel like a burden for even asking. I contacted customer service where I was again made to feel like I was wasting the agent's time only to find out that it would be an additional twenty days of wait time before the item "might" be delivered. This would have been an easy communication from REI regarding order status but clearly not their priority. Unacceptable service and communication. Customer lost with first online transaction.

sandrat62
5/19/17

Stay away from Kennewick REI. The sales people are great the store manager is a jackass and makes it his personal mission to try and intimidate you about returns. Doesn't matter if you've spent $1000's with them if you returned $400 worth you will get the 'return' harassment speech. Will try and avoid shopping with them again.

forbesr
4/7/17

Working in customer service should be about how to help a customer. At times, I felt I was wasting the agents time. I asked reasonable questions, which could have been responded to with kindness and respect. I think the cardinal sin was her saying I have many customers waiting..do you have a question? If a customer asks a specific question which needs supervision, then the customer should be informed they are looking into the issue and will provide information. Information as basic as reach out to my manager on Linkedin or here's a great way connecting with our Support supervisors. I think agents need to not deflect and actually provide truthful answer on what options are available. In conclusion, I've never felt so insulted as an agent saying theres customers waiting and to please ask a question deemed worth for a response. Either the agent should have concerted their opinion or not blamed the customer for being an interested party. Please respond only with a support manager.

Tip for consumers: Only ask about basic support issues. REI can't handle layered inquiries requiring time, effort, and actual understanding of what's being asked.

stevea128
3/26/17

I have been an rei customer for years. The last two experiences has changed my opinion. They send me a coupon and I was trying to purchase online while only
a plane (couldn't call) and was having difficulties with my account. They deactivate your account if you don't buy online at least once a year or so (even if you make purchases in stores). I brought the coupon in the store 2 days later and it just expired and they wouldn't honor it! Fast forward a couple weeks, I get my dividend for being a member / customers and figured I would use it. Well, went online again and had same difficulties. Called and ordered my items over phone. On item said it only had 2 in Stock. The next day the cancel the discounted item stating it was nice out of stock. The processed order for the full price item. I never have thus trouble with their competitors (moosejaw or backcountry). Rei gas certainly gone downhill

deborahb94
2/4/17

REI and continued 'membership' shenanigans-now I get it. Was initially astounded that REI would not stand behind their flawed product, insisting with Gestapo like force that a receipt/membership number be provided in order to make right THEIR defective product. After reading about the recent history of this company, now I get it. Bottom line for me - will never purchase anything from them. What kind of company is more worried about membership number than the quality of their products? I sent them two brand new shirts with some sort of fabric defect (the wrinkles could not be removed). Were they concerned? Absolutely NOT. FAKE 100% satisfaction guarantee. Incredibly insensitive to think I would insult the giver of the gift (shirts) in order to find out where/when it was purchased.

joep289
1/26/17

Please stay away from REI store and REI products. This satisfaction guarantee they have is just a figment of their imagination.wanted to return or exchange a REI backpack with a torn front mesh pocket which wasn't a fault of my own didn't realize it was so inferior that putting a soft cover book is gonna rip it into shreds and they totally not able to help me because it's over a year thought there products last longer than a year but they don't that's why they satisfaction guarantee only last for a year.wish I can give it zero stars.been a member for awhile but I'm just gonna be moving all my buying to Amazon.

davidn124
1/6/17

while visiting Dallas for the holidays, I dropped into two REI stores in the area.
Incredible; it appears that the REI philosophy is never let a customer near the merchandise. everything in the store from the largest to the smallest least expensive
was solidly strapped down. if I simply wanted to read the back of a box, I had to find an associate have him unlock the product then I would be asked what my question was. at no time was I allowed to handle the product. if I said I wanted the product, then my name was placed on the article and I was told " your article will be waiting at the counter when you are ready to check out".
with each article I wanted to purchase, I had to find an associate, who was always busy with another customer, have them unlock the article, label it, and take it to the counter.
since I went in knowing what gifts I wanted to buy, the whole process should have taken 15 to 20 min.. due to insane "trust no one" policy, it took one hour and fifteen minutes.
why would you give your hard earned money to a company that treats their customers like CRAP ?

pm72
12/27/16

They never issued my gift card either, and when I contacted customer service, they said that there was nothing I could do. I think this happened to a ton of people this year, and their customer service was very poor. Very disappointed in a company I used to believe in.

briand129
12/26/16

Horrible return policy plain and simple. Got a nice rain jacket for Christmas in the wrong size. Went to get a new size and found out with out a receipt they won't allow you. With so many people getting things shipped for the holidays you would expect them to loosen up a bit and allow for exchanges for the holidays. Now I am stuck with a jacket that is more then $200 that is no good. Don't worry I was once told in a customer service class that every upset customer will tell over 10 people about their bad expierience. That was in the 90s now with internet I will reach more with my voice. Never shopping REI again no wonder Amazon is crushing it.

milol13
11/29/16

REI shipped my product to the wrong address. After many calls I finally got a "supervisor" which conducted an "investigation" and literally told me that REI doesn't make mistakes and that I had entered an address wrong. Problem is I visual proof that I had not. They refused to fix the problem and as a final act of vindictiveness they didn't issue a $20 promotional gift card that was part of what I purchased. Couldn't be more saddened to learn REI is a company which is all about profit and couldn't care less about the customer.

63 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the REI staff and other customers.

REI?