Rakuten UK

Rakuten UK has a consumer rating of 3 stars from 34 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Rakuten UK also ranks 74th among Games sites. The most common issues with Rakuten UK are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

How would you rate Rakuten UK?

“Good site, it's been redesigned recently by the looks...”

Joshua R.
5/20/14

Good site, it's been redesigned recently by the looks of it. It was hard to find the film I was looking for as there's loads of toys and groceries on the homepage now. Still its good old play.com as my dvd arrived quickly and it was a cheapest on the internet. I still prefer these guys to Amazon though I'm not sure about buying penny sweets from them...

“Utter crap”

Dave H.
7/12/18

Stay away, their customer service is shambolic when it happens at all, their attitude towards their customers is one of total disdain and they basically try and rob you when offering a 'refund' - less than a quarter of what I spent was offered. No apology, no explanation, barely any communication at all in fact.

davidf149
January 4th, 2016
Ordered from these many times before and not had any problems at all
daveh274
July 12th, 2018
No apology, no explanation, barely any communication at all in fact.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it

jennys16
January 3rd, 2012
sent me the wrong item initially- something that was no where near what I had originally ordered! Very hard to get someone to understand what had happened on the phone. I eventually just asked for my money back. The experience is a shame!
alexs8
January 31st, 2010
Delivery can be slow when item are out of stock, but over all they have been good. Customer service is helpful.
vlads4
August 31st, 2015
I purchased a monitor during a promotion they were running. They cancelled the order stating "invalid credentials". Not only was the actual seller unaware of what that means, Rakuten's support had no clue either. Nevertheless, they pulled out the terms and conditions and stated that they won't fulfil the order.

To top it all up, a week later the amount is still blocked on my card.

Their website is terrible as well and the checkout procedure is bad to say the least. I'll keep to reputable sellers such as Amazon from now on, never again Rakuten. Avoid at all costs.

Tip for consumers: Avoid it!

amya3
July 12th, 2010
I haven't had too many bad experiences with them since I always received my product - however I am UK based so presumably it is less likely to get lost than an overseas customer.

However, I received a hooded top that was smelling terribly of fish. Even though I used copious amounts of Febreeze to get rid of the smell, it didn't quite get rid of the smell. I didn't really want to wash it straightaway.

I wrote a review mentioning this and it was never published. When I wrote back to ask why they refuse to post my review, I never received a reply - I thought that was bad form. I didn't use any offensive words at all. They probably didn't want the bad publicity.

Another thing that isn't great are the descriptions they provide for their products, and even the images are inaccurate at times.
joshuar21
May 20th, 2014
craige6
September 14th, 2012
A good company prices are very competitive the only problem they sometimes have and i see other reviewers have picked up on this is if an item is out of stock it sometimes takes a very long time but to be fair on the other hand you are notified and no money is taken until they have the item so it is really your choice to wait but sometimes i frustrating, overall a decent company who i have used many times.
thomasp17
February 1st, 2013
This is a cool site. I`ve bought a bunch of movies from this site for several years.
The only negative I can think of is that it sometimes takes really long time recieving your items, but the good thing is that they don`t charge you for money before it`s been sent.
christineh44
October 7th, 2015
Purchasing was originally ok. I then had the points to spend but none of my orders would go through all came up with same error message. After four months of emails they have been unable to resolve say it is not their end but my credit card company can see the orders cancelled from rakuten end. Have also spoken to them on phone hopeless!
ashtond
April 3rd, 2010
First waited weeks for a DVD they said had in stock. On receipt of delivery Play sent the wrong DVD, which they billed me for. I sent the DVD back but they only refunded me my postage. Later I cancelled the order for correct DVD as it was taking too long.
Still waiting for Play to refund me the price of wrong DVD.

No email address to correct this. Always get a foreign Lady on the phone I find hard to understand. She says she will amend but never does. Also the calls cost quite a lot.
allanm37
April 2nd, 2015
buy lots of items from here always happy!
ollieb
September 3rd, 2011
Great Site...

What else can I say, if I can't find it on Amazon, then I'll find it on Play.com. Their both pretty much the same to me. I've found problems with it like slow delivery (games coming a few days later when I pre ordered them,) but they are safe, reliable and mostly get the job done.
nicholass21
March 12th, 2014
Fantastic choice and great prices! Lovely! :)
rosea16
October 11th, 2012
still waiting for refund over 2 months, they should be quicker being big boys, a very shoddy company that we all buy from
nickj3
June 23rd, 2011
Never received goods, customer service non existent, and would not recommend this site, a bunch of amaters running this company, and alot of there stuff they don't hold in stock like most company's. Disgraceful this company in every way, you wait 3 months for items or never receive and take your money and don't refund
daleh1
February 1st, 2010
Bought quite a few things from play.com and it's mostly been very good service. My only gripe is my account being awkward and not accepted my log in details quite frequently. They also don't seem to send games early anymore (which makes them arrive on the release date) and instead ship them on the release date itself making them later than if I went to a store.
Price wise and product range wise though they are very good.
anthonyj5
October 27th, 2011
placed order waited 6 weeks and items never arrived and refund never recieved, customer service is terrible and do not recommend this site, they seem to have a bunch of school kids running this site
rr13
April 18th, 2011
Ordered a large EXPENSIVE item with PLAY.COM- they sent small CHEAP wrong item in a jiffy bag (Total incompetence).Many submissions to them informing them of the error- they totally ignored me.Had to send back wrong item by Royal mail special delivery due to their lack of reponse with a detailed letter including photos of packaging etc..Even the jiffy bag had the correct price for the large item which would never fit into a small jiffy bag. After a great deal of time the money appeared
in my bank account-No reimbursement for the royal mail costs.No appology-No communication from them whatssoever. They are based offshore- DO NOT TOUCH-its just not worth the hassle. Use a UK mainland company only as the rules are better
Rob
williamt
September 26th, 2009
They took my £10.95 but failed to make my music download available.
They repeatedly say their website is under temporary maintenance when I attempt to download my already-paid-for music.
They ignore my emails.
I'm always polite towards them, but they hang up on the phone when I call to complain about my order (order number 182197492) not being honoured.
alisonk1
May 30th, 2010
janetb1
November 9th, 2010
bad customer service, waitng over 3 weeks to recieve the goods if they turn up and then waiting another 3 weeks or longer for a refund, never never shopping with them again beware shoppers
rhiannem
January 4th, 2010
very unhelpful phone service id advise anyone not to buy from playtrade especially one guy sold over 20 copies of assassins creed a few days before christmas one to me i followed play.com procedures and sent him a complaint email which he had 3 days to respond before i was refunded this was 5 days ago when i rang play.com they told me they had to send him another email and i had to wait another 3 days which would have took me to wednesday i rang today (tuesday) after thinking this was rather unfair they told me to ring them back on thursday hey what happened to weds i asked to speak to someone in authority and was told there was no chance of that and i must follow the procedures? i thought i was it was them who made me wait a second set of 3 days and now another extra day and now am told they offer no guarantee if you buy off a playtrade seller well thats nice they willingly let thieves operate on their website with no guarantees? cheers play.com don't trust them, also i have preordered games from them which have arrived later than the release date special offers added to games which have been ordered and not arrived with the offer they offer me to return item!!!! when i paid for it 2 months before cos i wanted it on release date i preordered modern warfare 2 hardened edition for £80 and recieved standard edition £45 none week late and they somehow managed to get online business of the year award i have been ordering off them fo 6 months and have had nothing but trouble a terrible service backed up by a pretty website rubbish
mariac12
July 23rd, 2013
Have ordered many things from this site. I must say honestly that I have never had any problems at all. Everything I ordered was as it said on the tin and delivered within 3 working days. Prices were competitive too. This site is usually my first port of call.
micheyj
December 18th, 2010
This play.com and the entertainer,i ordered a present for my nephew back on the 5/12/10 to make sure it would be here for xmas and they sent me an email saying they have sent your parcel. And when you ring up to find out were it is they say we havnt sent it even tho they say in an email its been posted.They have taken the money out of your account already then when i rang again they said your order has been sent and you ordered it on the 8/12/10 when i think i know when i ordered it. When i email them they don't even reply to any off them and they say we'll pass you on to our head office and they dnt even ring you back. Im so f**ked off by this they are so unhelpful its unreal this website is the worsed i have ever used

Questions? Get answers from the Rakuten UK staff and other customers.

Shop at the UK's favourite retailers, including Lego, Zavvi, TK Maxx and more and earn Super Points rewards.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rakuten UK?

Have a question about Rakuten UK?