Review of Quora

privacy@quora.com

18 reviews with 2 stars

chrisk71
11/3/18

Many people claim of the liberal bias within quora. Well I can tell you, coming from a progressive Democrat as myself, I actually agree. That may come as a shock but I found that quora seems to be a popularity contest. It seems to be the Super cocky Elite tend to "win" in terms of which answers are placed at the top. Of course quora corporate will say that they have an algorithm that is fair but all it takes is about a month on the site to realize that there is a unfair bias. Quora uses favoritism and actually has a system that gives more Merit to certain people that give up votes than others. Imagine voting in an election and your vote carries more weight. Not cool right? Well, take the answers on quora with a grain of salt. From my experience, I found that the answers with maybe four or five up votes are the most reasonable Solutions the most people's queries. The ones with 2.3 thousand votes, you might want to avoid them.

connorf10
9/22/18

If you like math, it's like an easier-to-follow-along math stack exchange. If you like learning about how people like to present themselves, you might also find the site entertaining. Occasionally there is some run-of-the-mill fellow who sounds honest and reasonable, but that is a refreshment in the desert. The rest of it is garbled nonsense. The vast majority of the questions hardly make any sense, and the same goes for the vast majority of answers to the vast majority of questions. Heavy left-wing bias, nihilism, arrogance, self-indulgence, and ideological insanity abound. There is a pervasive (albeit subtle) narcissistic fog that suffocates any kind of hope I have for this site to develop into a healthy online community. It is a neurotic site that enables and exacerbates a very unhealthy "information" addiction. It's like Oceania online. 2 stars gives an apt description: would not recommend.

etl1
8/30/18

Quora fails to apply its own user rules. Users degrade the site with lowbrow name calling, a fallback for inarticulate people. Quora does nothing despite lofty claims of being a cordial site. Offenders complain when their victims defend themselves, implicating their victims fraudulently. Unless Quora makes an investment in intelligent human monitoring of its members, it's become a borderline vitriolic site full of hate language, four-letter words, and political divisiveness. We can get that anywhere on the web. So, Quora, what's your value to the online world? Me thinks: Not much untill you commit yourselves to integrity. As of now, you're just another hate site. And, yes, ugly name calling anyone who disagrees with you, incessant use of the "f" word, among other hate language, DOES put you in the hate site category.
Shame on you.

johnc1069
5/3/18

Today I discovered an alarming subject I wasn't aware of which is the Grand Solar Minimum. After watching a 1:33 presentation by a very plausible expert scientist from Sweden I believe, I was rather shocked to find the evidence clearly shows the fact we are at the end of an inter-glacial period and the inescapable onset of another ice age for the planet within 20 years. So I set out to find verification of this if possible on a platform controlled by Goo gle. My first pick to research the topic was Quora. This answers I saw were all fluff and assured it will be a "little colder" BUT STILL not enough to offset "global warming". Hmmm. So I posed questions on other controversial subjects for which abundant evidence exists to refute the official narrative such as the neuro-toxicity of fluoride, geoengineering, GMO crops, nanotech , microwave/RF radiation effects on the mind and body etc for which I have invested 100s of hours of learning and discerning the good info from the bad. The site is clearly 1 sided and as stated by others here it is pretentious and as objective as CNN or Fox. My urge to object and set the record straight so to speak led me to the Registration page where I actually read the TOS. After reversing the site's intrusion into my Goo gl account info I stepped back and looked outside for some objective info asking is Quora to be trusted and found my answer here. Thank you. PS: I do agree there is some very interesting info there but based on the topics I'm researching Truth is scarce..... so where to look Now..?

joshuas108
12/15/17

I like the format of Quora but their "Be nice and respectful" policy doesn't make any sense and seem to be determined by the whims of weirdos.

There was a question about what the world would be like in there was never any religion?, and I saw that all the other answers were saying that it would be some sort of utopia so I decided to give a differing take. I said we have had areas in the world where there was no religion in the Soviet Union, Mao's China, and so on together they killed over 100 million people and made life miserable for most killing more than Islam. People who subscribe to atheism as a belief system have sliding morals and they would make hell on earth.

Anyway they banned me for this answer and all I did was answer the question truthfully as I saw it. It made sense to me to extrapolate consistent behavior by Atheist in power to the rest of the world and humanity to answer the question. It isn't disrespectful it is just the facts as they stand but some moderator didn't like the view point perhaps. These people are thin skinned and can't handle facts or opinions they don't agree with.

chrisc387
9/7/17

The site was great a few years ago, lots of interesting users who wrote posts that were educational. Yet, it seems to now be an Entertainment Tonight sub-site, taken over by groups of teens all intent on becoming most popular on the site, who have chased most decent other posters away. They show up and have thousands of instant followers in a week and simply have their groups upvote and downvote who posts in the topics they want to post in. Endless questions about who is popular and who are these popular teens. Even adults are falling to this level, posting selfies about socks and other nonsense. topics.

Hey--bet they make money though. The dumbing down of America continues.

louisa101
8/2/17

At first I thought Quora was interesting, but then I got deluged with very childish, immature questions, VERY, VERY repetitive. (I found out that people get paid(?) to generate a trillion garbage questions.) Many questioners avoid searching for the same topic & existing answers--they want attention or $, and custom-written responses JUST for them. If you put in any links-to or quote from science-websites, they report you for "Spamming" & the answer gets hidden--the attention-seekers want responses more than quality information.
And due to the nature of the questions, shows that most of these immature folks don't have ANY human contact or experience. (Topics: love, romance, Bizarre or scary questions on What goes through the mind of the opposite sex, college life, human mentality, how humans operate, Shyness, Social Awkwardness, etc.) The questions and a lot of the answers say a lot about the writers: LOTS of self-obsession, isolation, catastrophizing, and especially fantasizing that they are "psychotic/sociopathic" like it's cool, asexual/gay/bi, incels & women-haters, suicidal threats, whatever. Many of the males have really nutty or scary attitudes towards females, and I fear for the women around them. And MOST of these immature folks will never seek help, or create or join a self-help group, or any other effort to make their lives better. QUORA: make it easier to flag repetitive questions, or flag Really Great Writers (to weed out the horrid or very immature or attention-seeking ones.) Make it easier to route all the thousands of "askers" needing mental health help to a centralized forum area with curated, quality help.

Tip for consumers: Some good info, once in a while VERY funny or entertaining answers which SHOULD BE flagable for some sort of positive reward , but a lot of very sloppy allowing of similiar topics, and HORDES of isolated, overly-sheltered kids with self-made Asperger's autism.

darrenw37
6/13/17

Quora's community is a great place outside of politics to ask questions and get answers.

However, if you're looking for a variety in political opinion, you should avoid it. There's not much to say past the fact that there's a heavy liberal bias. Anti-GOP, anti-Trump comments get upvotes. Anti-Clinton, anti-Democratic comments get downvoted. Top comments in political questions are always pro-left, anti-right comments. Ask questions that incriminate or scold the left side of the aisle, and get a downplayed, or hostile answer -- not a straight answer. All Trump supporters are bigots, racists, and sexists. The educated supported Clinton. Bernie supporters are spoiled brats. Etc. Etc. Not a friendly place to be if you're a moderate or Conservative. When you ask them why Quora has a liberal bias, expect to get a loaded response that downplays the bias which ironically, exposes the bias.

Rarely will you find those who are actually "Liberal" and not radical leftists. When you do, it's a breath of fresh air, but extremely rare. I wouldn't recommend to those who identify as actually being Liberal either.

davidp302
1/24/17

Quora CAN be an excellent resource for conducting research, exchanging ideas, and finding intelligent/ well thought out/ well written/ informative answers presenting different sides of major issues.

In THEORY, it is a wonderful forum for free speech and debate--giving everyone a voice to express their opinions and positions on a wide variety of issues, regardless of how good, bad, well/poorly thought out, taboo, or outright bizarre that opinion or position may be. That being the case, you will find questions and answers on a diverse array of issues ranging from the important to the unimportant.. the ridiculous to the sublime.. the intelligent/ well though out/ well written to the downright idiotic. So you have to do some sorting of your own--essentially, you have to take the good with the bad. This sorting thru to chaff to get to the wheat is easy to do and essentially impossible to eliminate in the context of the free and open exchange of ideas.

However, in PRACTICE, Quora falls far short of living up to its potential because of its apparent complete lack of protection against the personal biases of the people who review the questions and answers (and therefore decide if a certain question or answer will be allowed or removed). Because Quora provides almost no substantive information on it's posting rules or review process in general or it's decision-making process in specific situations (choosing instead to cite it's woefully ambiguously and generic "Be Nice, Be Respectful policy"), it is impossible to conclude whether 1) there is a general, institutional bias within Quora on issues in one direction or another, OR 2) proposed questions and answers are subject to the vagaries of happenstance, I.e. - which particular reviewer reviews your question on a particular day (and what his position is on the issue, what mood he's in, etc).

Because of this, as it stands today, Quora is generally like a poster boy for PC-ism at its worst. So, while it does have a lot to offer, Quora falls way short of its potential. Unfortunately, it's highest and best use is checking whether a particular question/ answer/ position/ argument/ etc is politically correct.

So, if you have a thought and need to gauge how politically correct it is, simply post it on Quora. The longer it stays up, the more PC it is. This is a shame.

jeffb183
12/14/16

Really? It's a blog that moderators collapse great answers, because they don't write a 4 page report on a question stating "do you like the police in your city?) That is dumb. If you put "yes, very much", not enough. The site wants you to use every big words in a four page report, on the subject. Utilizing every means possible to overkill a basic question, by using the biggest words possible to sound like a brilliant bull$#*!ter. It's very biased. Also, this is expected even if "how can I make my girls like me again? Mostly, you don't know if it's a boy, man, or girl. Which dictates your answer, wouldn't you think? There are some great writers there. But, there are some morons, who are high status, that can get away with the dumbest answers. It's a site that is extremely left wing. If you aren't looking for the best answers, but want to see a lot of people wielding huge words so they can get the illusion that they are gurus, go there. Narcissistic city. And the moderators, think they are the most important people in the world, with ten or twenty minions that they love. Quite disappointing.

cirilt
10/1/16

There are excellent writers in Quora no doubt, but the moderators make it really uncomfortable.
Quora moderation acts like a critical parent. They collapse good answers sighting violation.
They blocked me from typing sighting an answer about 'Mother Teresa' violate the policy.
Mean while they found other answers with violation something or the other and I was asked to appeal. As I could not type I could not appeal. Eventually they deactivated my account.
They have sighted that I had violated the policy multiple times. I have wriiten 328 answers, in around 3 months time.
On 01/10/2016 I am among the most viewed writer in
1. Kerala
2. Christian Theology and Philosophy
3. Malayali Ethnicity and people.
4. Saints
5. Missonaries
6. Religious conversion

allenb63
8/15/16

This website is a free Question and Answer site. Its strength is that people are encouraged to post their backgrounds so you can vet the quality of answers and disregard the ones from people who don't bother to do this. On the other hand, the site doesn't verify the background statements or the posted names of contributors so anyone who really wanted to give dangerous bad advice could just use a VPN to hide their IP, post a false name and say whatever they want. From the standpoint of a contributor I felt very unappreciated. Contributors don't get any money so there is no incentive to continue doing it. For this reason you see people mainly doing it socially, either because they are in retirement or disabled. The site really stinks when it comes to controversial religious and political topics. If you aren't politically correct and post a referenced article you will probably gain a following of stalker enemies who read every post and will constantly complain to moderators about you until you get banned from the site. For example, try discussing average IQ differences between races. Legitimate complaints would be ok but moderators are so asinine that they don't even follow their own rules. They will interpret posts discussing a topic as being harassment and attacks on a group just because it is controversial. So you are not allowed to express an opinion that ever is derogatory even when it is earned. It would be analogous to being banned for saying that that Nazi's were mass murderers because this would be hateful towards them. They go out of their way to protect US blacks who are the most vocal. They have also defending medical quackery by supporting unethical chiropractors.

francism41
4/23/16

I found Quora Admin to be almost fearful, and terribly PC biased in its moderatorship. Thus Muslims and Muslim sympathizers are allowed to write anything they like about those who oppose Islam. That includes name calling and clear verbal abuse. Those like myself, who tried to be respectful, but nonetheless firmly put the opposite side of the story, namely that there are some serious issues in Europe, and that Governments there are trying to suppress popular dissent by any and all means. Thus although I might not agree with everything 'Britain First' and 'Pegida' members do and say, I respect their rights to be openly heard. This earned me furious enmity (I was called a 'nasty, mean spirited racist' etc, etc) and that was all perfectly fine with Quora moderators. I on the other hand received a series of warnings to be 'nice' and 'respectful', culminating in being BANNED. That kind of sums up Quora for me. Biased, and not worth much time. There is also a trend towards a "Mutual Admiration Society". I.e. insiders high-fiving the heck out of each other. Kind of a bit tacky at times. Differing views - like mine- upset the left leaning apple cart. They would rather you just go away, it seems to me.
UPDATE 7/1/2016: being a stubborn cuss, (hell, I'm Irish), I have persevered on Quora, and I still deliver my straight-from-the-hip opinion (rant) on how I feel about stuff. Including that 7th century piece of Tooth Fairy superstitious nonsense that has caused so much needless human suffering for the last 1400 years. I have plenty of upvotes, and oddly enough, the stream of threats from Quora moderators has eased off. I haven't been banned for months. Maybe the upvoters have saved my dogged right wing butt. Having swiped hard at faux religion, and poked fun at little MO Hammed, the self claimed 'prophet', I need to start sniping harder at that other self claimed great leader. Missy Hillary, the darling of the Left. Pinnacle of veracity, the paragon of ethics. THAT should get me banned. Again. Peace. Come visit sometime. Francis Meyrick, trouble maker, at your service.
UPDATE 7/20/16 I was banned for a week (again) with dark threats for a permanent ban. (again). I've kind of given up. The mods are not terribly bright, well read or sophisticated, but attribute to themselves great wisdom. Delusional visions of their own prowess, I'd say. What got me in trouble was an article on BLM, in which I quoted an FBI statistic. It's a fact. 90% of black people are not killed by rogue cops. They are killed by rogue blacks. It's a FACT. I don't think you can solve a problem unless you first identify it. So I'm not 'nice' apparently. Time to move on. Oh, and whatever moderator gives you the thumbs down, hides anonymously behind an automated message. No comeback. In my view, Quora indulge in arbitrary censorship. They are just going to sell that site one day to the highest bidder, and then whoever buys it will doubtless push their particular line of politics. Waste of time. Bye, Quora.

donw28
9/9/15

This site could have been a very good forem. Unfortunately it has been totaly hijacked by the militant atheists.

daems
6/12/15

Quora forces you to sign up, it lays up a window which blurs everything behind. You can still read but it's a hassle. It also makes them very suspicious. The good thing is there are various workarounds to disable the pesky window that appears to block you from reading or blurring everything behind it.

Yahoo Answers lets you look at their website without having to sign up. The only difference between them is Quora has less trolls, but Yahoo Answers has more content. Either way, you can't trust much answers in both of those websites.

fabriced
6/2/15

I have for Quora a very mixed love/hate feeling.
I love the concept. Sharing knowledge is really good.
But it has its downsides, like morons asking extremely subjective questions ("what is the hottest girl in the world?" and crap like that), or people asking a question that has been asked a million times, or people asking a question about someone famous who has an account on the website just to get their attention, or people asking a question and never using the website again.
But I like it.
The worst part of it is its USER EXPERIENCE - a word they probably have never heard of. Dozens of things do not make sense at all, from the fact that you can only opt in all email updates or opt out of all email updates but not manually decide what updates you want, to the home page that just scrolls indefinitely (quite difficult if you're trying to click on one of the footer links) to the severely limited screen areas devoted to writing text or comments.
It could be an amazing website, if the concept was kept but the whole graphical approach was scraped and redesigned from the ground up by people with a sense of design and high standards. Hopefully one day this will be the case!
In the meanwhile it's just a "better" version of Yahoo answers.

ingridh3
8/20/14

The moderators ruin it. No chance to declare your case. The real trolls go untouched. Moderators rude. They are anal about formulating questions their way. Vengeful. Q/A is interesting but seriously no humor is allowed making an academic pursuit boring and intimidating. Stupid policy of using real name. Great idea poorly executed.

Tip for consumers: Stay away. The fail to realize that you are the product.

jamesp67
3/14/13

I will not sign into anything, potentially exposing myself to endless mass-mailings, to VIEW an answer. Why is it that a site like stackoverflow.com seems to have no problem with letting people view content without signing up?

I don't care what quora.com is or what it does, how it's different, etc. They lost me at my very first interaction with their site.

Yes, the questions about penis size and virginity seems to sponsor endless discussion!

By Michael G.

Because Quora is run by an amateur who may aspire to be Zuckeberg, yet is nowhere near as savvy.

By Sarah H.

I honestly feel and highly suspect from certain traits that Quora pays Google to be high on the rank and they get *buddy buddy* with the government. Quora is essentially too big to fail. We no longer have capitalism but now live under governmentism which Trump pledges to end but can he? Does he really mean what he says? That is the million $ question.

By Kyle H.

Agreed. Strange but true. The only place that requires full name when you already have an account where the username to use. Why? Just more of the old information collecting processes. Blatant disregard.

By Leo A.

No financial gain for Quora users as referenced to the Partners Program. Quora will drop you quickly if you challenge them on any moderation they made to your questions or answers. Too many rules too few incentives to write.

By Sam F.

Resilience is when you can read Quora answers for about half an hour without puking. Joke's on you mate.

By Isaac K.

Because Google put Quora answers at the top of their search results when people search for a question they see the answer from Quora. Which is stupid because most answers on Quora aren't even correct lol. Idk why Google wants to promote that site, if they own it or they want to buy it and incorporate it into Google at some point. I think the site is awful and it should be shut down because it's just a propaganda site. You do not see Quora from any other search engine for example duckduckgo. But you see it in Google.

By Aare t.

as well as to discuss their sexual proclivities in anonymity.

By Michael G.

Questions? Get answers from the Quora staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Quora