Review of Quora

Tel: +1 916-445-1254
privacy@quora.com

daems
6/12/15

Quora forces you to sign up, it lays up a window which blurs everything behind. You can still read but it's a hassle. It also makes them very suspicious. The good thing is there are various workarounds to disable the pesky window that appears to block you from reading or blurring everything behind it.

Yahoo Answers lets you look at their website without having to sign up. The only difference between them is Quora has less trolls, but Yahoo Answers has more content. Either way, you can't trust much answers in both of those websites.

fabriced
6/2/15

I have for Quora a very mixed love/hate feeling.
I love the concept. Sharing knowledge is really good.
But it has its downsides, like morons asking extremely subjective questions ("what is the hottest girl in the world?" and crap like that), or people asking a question that has been asked a million times, or people asking a question about someone famous who has an account on the website just to get their attention, or people asking a question and never using the website again.
But I like it.
The worst part of it is its USER EXPERIENCE - a word they probably have never heard of. Dozens of things do not make sense at all, from the fact that you can only opt in all email updates or opt out of all email updates but not manually decide what updates you want, to the home page that just scrolls indefinitely (quite difficult if you're trying to click on one of the footer links) to the severely limited screen areas devoted to writing text or comments.
It could be an amazing website, if the concept was kept but the whole graphical approach was scraped and redesigned from the ground up by people with a sense of design and high standards. Hopefully one day this will be the case!
In the meanwhile it's just a "better" version of Yahoo answers.

upalil
5/14/15

I paid for technical help but till four days no one answer my question then another guy send me a mail and say no body help you and i am here to help you and asked me totally baby questions regarding the technical area, i never solve my fault but they got the money. Yet they keep getting 33.00 dollars every month for so called membership which i never intend to be or never apply. This is steeling money from the people in the world should be punished by the international LAW for fraud and scam.

nicolasg9
4/16/15

As it was said before, I have found the opinions biased, just like someone or some people tried to influence people.
For sure, Quora is full of fake questions and answers made by companies, startups, lobbies.
Quora is the place of sociopaths who want to get attention and play the sermonisers. If you need an answer to a question you should better google and you will find it.
There are lots of liars and trolls. For instance, some people want to be seen as millionaires, CEO of big companies but in fact they are unemployed or students.
I must admit they are good at writing fake answers. It means they repeat your question in the answer without adding any information and they can write a paragraph like this.
It is quite impressive.
Ultimately, When you ask a very precise question, you get no answer in 90% of cases.

I noticed that when I asked precise questions about a field (let's say taxes) I had no answers. In fact, I discovered that I had no answers to the most important questions and more answers to superficial questions. For example, when people ask "in which country, is there the most beautiful women?" it is superficial and it is similar to what we find in people magazine. The answers have no benefits. On the other hand, when i ask a question in my field like: "Which server-side JavaScript solution can replace PHP?" I have no beneficial answers at all. The answers are not those of experts at all.

If you are an expert about something, don't share you knowledge for free, create a blog.

Tip for consumers: Don't share your knowledge for free

lukes33
2/17/15

Quora sucks,bunch of lying deceitful pricks,first I was redirected to their site under the premise of obtaining an answer to a question ,then after obtaining my e-mail address guess what no answer,nothing pisses me off more than being redirected and lied to whoever runs this site is a loudmouth and a liar,Period ,no excuse for this bull$#*!

Tip for consumers: Dont just a scam to obtain your info for marketing.

as2064
1/27/15

Horrible site. Full of liberal atheist science worshiping "know it alls" that have everything figured out. They band together like a pack of wolves and pounce on poor folks that might have alternative points of view. They don't even give them a civilized chance to argue their points before the bullying begins. The moderation in these cases is horrible. If you try to defend someone and offer arguments in defense, the wolf-pack turns on you. Some of the information is useful. Most of it is fluff from self professed arm-chair experts. Not a place for a civilized discussion of abstract ideas by real knowledgeable people of any kind. They would have burned Galileo before the inquisition ever got hold of him, if they had existed in that time.

nassers
1/15/15

Very useful if you need up to date answers from credible sources.

shawnw24
10/27/14

Some of what Marvin P. wrote in his review is true.

Specifically:

- Quora is not a serious Q&A site (sometimes it is).
- Quora does not support free speech.
- Non-liberal views are deemed offensive
- Sensitivity is more valued than the truth

I am not sure about some of his other statements. Many of my answers are firm in tone with strong language and controversial (at least for liberals), but although many were collapsed (probably by other liberals on Quora), I was not immediately punished by the administrators. I would not characterize the administrators as being especially suppressing of dissenting views. They are undoubtedably liberal, but I don't believe that they are as bad as Martin P. describes. I will admit that I have not studied the answers of the admins nor had discussions with them, so I may not have the same knowledge that he does.

As far as the feminism that Martin P. describes, I don't believe that it is as bad as he makes it out to be. Feminism is undoubtedably very well represented on Quora, but its proponents are not (at least according to what they say) man-hating.

That said, Quora is not a place to go to for truth. The "Be Nice, Be Respectful" rule is enforced with a view towards niceness and not respect. If you criticize certain groups badly enough, then you will be banned. Even if your interactions in replying to individual persons are respectful, your answers need to be both respectful and nice. In other words, your answers can't say anything that could hurt someone's feelings or, more especially, contradict their liberal beliefs.

If you are not a liberal and are interested in a thoughtful, scholarly discussion with others, then you will not like Quora.

If you are interested in the truth about anything that matters (such as the big questions), then you will not like Quora.

If you have dissenting non-liberal beliefs and are not afraid to share them, then you will eventually be banned (but before that, most of your non-liberal answers will be collapsed and you will get a lot of abuse from liberals).

If you believe that women are not the same as men and expect to obtain good information about differences between them from Quorans, you will be disappointed (so don't even ask). If you are so bold to suggest that the sexes (always genders on Quora) are different, you may get harassed and flamed.

From personal experience (and based on guesswork derived from the silent and punitive administrators) the "protected" classes (at least as far as the current administrators are concerned), which cannot be seriously criticized on Quora, in order of decreasing importance are:

1. Jews
2. Atheists
3. Protestants

And you will probably not receive any explicit warnings before you are banned.

ingridh3
8/20/14

The moderators ruin it. No chance to declare your case. The real trolls go untouched. Moderators rude. They are anal about formulating questions their way. Vengeful. Q/A is interesting but seriously no humor is allowed making an academic pursuit boring and intimidating. Stupid policy of using real name. Great idea poorly executed.

Tip for consumers: Stay away. The fail to realize that you are the product.

marvinp5
4/20/14

Quora, by itself, can be a great website, though it is not to be taken seriously as a Q&A site to get real, legitimate answers to real, legitimate problems. It is like Facebook combined with WikiAnswers, and provides answers from real people to general questions users ask on the site. However, most answers will be more like advice, opinions and personal insight, than actual answers. Quora, in theory, is a really cool website for any intellectuals that love knowledge and hearing insight and experiences from other people. However... Quora is corrupted by a community of whiny, immature social justice warriors and adult children who strictly believe no one else is allowed to say anything they disagree with. The site is run by elitists and thin-skinned super-sensitive adult children and ANYthing you say that people in this inner circle may disagree with will be promptly and swiftly dealt with. To put it in other words, free speech isn't allowed on Quora. Only "consensus speech." You are not allowed to say anything that goes against the liberal, feminist, "men are scum", "all negativity and dissenting opinions should be outlawed" status quo of the ones in charge.

The problem is, Quora is run by a group of giant p-ssies and Social Justice Warriors who ban anything and everything they disagree with. Its is very much against free speech and you are not allowed to disagree with the status quo. It is very much like a hive mind. If you write something even marginally unpopular, your answer gets censored and voted out. And if you say something that anyone heavily disagrees with, you are flagged for "offending" someone. In other words, you're only allowed to express yourself if THEY approve of it. It is extremely against free speech and independent thought. It is filled with man-hating feminists and social justice warriors, essentially making it a slightly more intellectual Tumblr.

While MOST of the people on Quora are generally cool and down to Earth, it is the admins and power-users with thousands of followers who are condescending and very much anti-opinion. They will be quick to remind you that Quora isn't a democracy and that essentially, you're only allowed to say anything as long as others agree with it. As mentioned, marginal disagreements get your answers censored out ("collapsed"). And anything going against the hyper-liberal, social justice, whiny "my feelings matter more than your freedom" status quo will get you punished, blocked, or banned from the site. It is EXTREMELY restrictive against free speech. Keep in mind, this isn't Quora the site itself, but rather, the whiny, sensitive, selfish admins that control the site like a dictatorship. They are adult children who believe the world revolves around them and you are not allowed to express anything you feel that they disagree with. There are several restrictive rules set up on the site to prevent this. Humor is seen as "trolling," unpopular but detailed answers are seen as "unhelpful," and anything ANY one could disagree with is seen as "offensive" and a violation of their strict net-nanny rule "Be Nice, Be Respectful." Only anything that isn't in the consensus of the feminist, hyper-liberal social justice status quo is seen as "offensive" somehow.

Basically, the site in its barest form, is a mix of Facebook and Yahoo Answers. However, its run by complete p-ssies and social justice warriors who will censor, edit, block, or ban literally anything they disagree with. But sometimes, not before they try to "teach" you why you're wrong. Though its less common, sometimes, they are willing to try to "educate" you on your opinion or answer that they disagree with. But half the time, they'll just collapse, remove, or censor you.

As stated, the site itself is mostly full of decent people from all over the world. However, the childish, immature, whiny, hyper-sensitive, feminist, ultra-liberal, social justice warrior admins, as well as the popular power users and "future admins" restrict any and all free speech they disagree with. The site makes it feel like you can NEVER say anything they personally disagree with, because it will be "trolling," "offensive," or "unhelpful" in some way. Even the Quora founders left the site partially because of this.

Quora, in theory, is a cool site. However, its corrupted by crybabies, adult children, and social justice warriors who literally feel that feelings and hyper-sensitivity and agreeing with the status quo is more important than being able to express how you feel. The admins and powerful power-users ruin Quora and turn it into an elist liberal b-tchfest similar to Tumblr or Jezebel.

Quora would be cool if it wasn't administered by a bunch of immature, whiny, first world problem, hyper-liberal, hyper-sensitive adult crybabies. Avoid Quora. You may like it at first, until you realize you're not allowed to say anything anyone would disagree in any way. Avoid Quora if you like being able to express yourself. However, if you love putting down men, banning words like "bossy," and feel that feelings and sensitivity are more important than facts and honesty, then you'll feel right at home on Quora.

deeb32
3/25/14

Deceptive, scary invasion of your privacy. Trolling is annoying and not well managed. Getting enough points to ask a question is laborious. Tip: Go to "Settings" if you want to avoid your opinions being splashed all over the internet. What's the point if you can't discuss controversial issues for fear that you are exposed? Not all countries respect freedom of expression. Ignorant and unilateral approach to privacy.

lilliyak
3/21/14

Great social. I mean it. It community based as Reddit. But you can submit your post to many communities, not for only one as in Reddit. And you can see your statistics, how many people have seen your post, how many Up votes you get and so on. You can ask questions, create topics, create community, get followers, get a good feedback and visitors to your website. I am happy to find this website out. I like it. Its simple and useful.

averal
2/2/14

I asked a question about a desperate personal problem involving another person and I immediately realized what a terrible mistake it was to use QUORA for anything but pure academics. I was first insulted for having the nerve to have this problem at all and then I was invalidated and belittled and mocked by others and then finally someone actually CHANGED MY QUESTION without my permission.The person jacked the words as if they were full of grammatical mistakes and the surmised purpose was supposedly to "soften" the effect on other people of the implications embedded in my question. Then I got all sorts of inappropriate and presumptuous snooty "feedback" from the jacked question. It was ghastly. For each one of these I had to rapid-fire TELL the person that this was not my question; that I had been jacked and that I highly resent what everyone on QUORA was doing to me in all my naive trust. Then I blocked and muted and reported them all. I also did that to the guy who had jacked me and then tried to come in the back door as "anonymous". I was actually told after that vile person molested me...that I was now being considered for QUORA jail due to the fact they disliked my NAME. Before I muted, blocked and reported the people I had to...my comments back to them were actually being squelched because they didn't like my accurate but traumatized feedback. The last thing I did when I got it that QUORA was really an abusive inhumane site...was to ask a question, ie: "IS QUORA AN ABUSIVE SITE?" Finally the "management" said all my comments (ON MY OWN QUESTION no less!!) were to be "blocked" and at that point I asked to be removed from QUORA. They have so far ignored me so I am planning to let my email account go down (ie: never look at it again due to the ugly foot-in-the-face effect of seeing the ugly incoming messages from QUORA. Here's what my original question was (and all the variants I had to compose due to the abusive feedback I was getting): My question was: "How can I deal with a domestic situation wherein a schizoid roomie was constantly invalidating and dehumanizing me, and demonstrating no ability to show anger OR empathy, and mostly behaving like a monster, worm or machine?" Beneath this I explained how I could not simply "move out". And I guess the QUORA crowd was more offended at my situation than motivated to care about how I was getting hurt. Not one of them understood that I could not just leave, or ignore this person either, and ALL of them demonstrated an alarming incapacity for empathy themselves. SO that's why I say, for cold academic issues QUORA could suffice but for the rest, meditation or divine intervention would work better. And just as an addendum I must say that the purely "human" questions were in general dealt with much less skillfully than the academic questions and within that category I was also struck by the much less skillful answers around the more human side of academics, versus the technical/scientific/mathematic. Getting hurt this way was an eye opener and really educated me re: the repressive, primitive nature of the hi-Q crowd when it comes to issues of the soul.

stevej48
12/19/13

Quara.com has got to be the newest and most exciting academic website out there, go visit and you will see what I mean.

davey96
12/2/13

Their policy of using only real names ruined the website. I feel sorry for them.

jorgel10
7/7/13

It seems for every question (whether light or serious) there will always be a good amount of carefully elaborated answers. It's amazing the quality of professional advice you can find here ---from math to tech entrepreneurship. And it's almost instantly.

jamesp67
3/14/13

I will not sign into anything, potentially exposing myself to endless mass-mailings, to VIEW an answer. Why is it that a site like stackoverflow.com seems to have no problem with letting people view content without signing up?

I don't care what quora.com is or what it does, how it's different, etc. They lost me at my very first interaction with their site.

adamg21
3/5/13

UPDATE - I take it back. This site has become an Allied Powers-loving, "bro"-hating "Friends"-loving Swede, Dane, Jewish, Scotitsh, Russian, Spanish-meaning Visigothic Hell hole. They openly side against you. GOOD THING THEY'RE SO STUPID that if they give you a ban, you can easily make another account during the ban and they're stupid to know it's you. I'm taking advantage of them right now as we speak. Lots of idiots too. Idiots who think "bro" "is Visigothic slang," as though Visigoths aren't white. Or that "bro" is black or white slang. No it's Italian slang. And Rivera girls are also the most broish
And these idiots who both say "bro" and "brother" as though "bro" must be black slang because somehow it's related to the slang "brother" as in "hey brother." Same goes with "sis".

Tip for consumers: Complete trash

joec20
10/12/11

Quora is an online question/answer community much like Yahoo! answers and Wiki Answers. Quora is in invite only phase this means that you need invitation from a friend who is already on Quroa to join it. Ask around your friends on Facebook or Twittter chances are that some of your friends are already there. What I liked about Quora is that the answers there come from real people with real expertise on the topics.

jamesl14
6/5/11

Quora is an amazing resource that fills the information gap that is not provided sites like wikipedia. If you want informed opinions, know-how, and sage advice, this is the place to go. The value is in the users - want to ask details on a hot new startup? Very good chance the CEO/CFO will answer it. Questions about the Mavs? Ask Mark Cuban. I really hope they can keep the quality high as the site gains in popularity.

bobbyk
1/21/11

Another one of the many ideas out there which needs critical mass to become successful. I believe this is a better version of yahoo answers. yahoo answers is for the ignorant masses who will believe that windex will cure a wart. Quora has some pretty good answers and intelligent people and while they do not apparently get much traffic to their site, the quality of the people is higher. Eventually they will monetize the answers that people write and it must be the case that the people who bother with this site get some value in return. It is worth checking out, though I wouldn't use facebook connect as I like to keep my stuff private

41 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Yes, the questions about penis size and virginity seems to sponsor endless discussion!

By Michael G.

Because Quora is run by an amateur who may aspire to be Zuckeberg, yet is nowhere near as savvy.

By Sarah H.

I honestly feel and highly suspect from certain traits that Quora pays Google to be high on the rank and they get *buddy buddy* with the government. Quora is essentially too big to fail. We no longer have capitalism but now live under governmentism which Trump pledges to end but can he? Does he really mean what he says? That is the million $ question.

By Kyle H.

Agreed. Strange but true. The only place that requires full name when you already have an account where the username to use. Why? Just more of the old information collecting processes. Blatant disregard.

By Leo A.

No financial gain for Quora users as referenced to the Partners Program. Quora will drop you quickly if you challenge them on any moderation they made to your questions or answers. Too many rules too few incentives to write.

By Sam F.

Resilience is when you can read Quora answers for about half an hour without puking. Joke's on you mate.

By Isaac K.

Because Google put Quora answers at the top of their search results when people search for a question they see the answer from Quora. Which is stupid because most answers on Quora aren't even correct lol. Idk why Google wants to promote that site, if they own it or they want to buy it and incorporate it into Google at some point. I think the site is awful and it should be shut down because it's just a propaganda site. You do not see Quora from any other search engine for example duckduckgo. But you see it in Google.

By Aare t.

as well as to discuss their sexual proclivities in anonymity.

By Michael G.

Questions? Get answers from the Quora staff and other customers.

5 Photos for Quora