Pick N Pay

Pick N Pay has a consumer rating of 1.56 stars from 16 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Pick N Pay ranks 67th among Department Store sites.

How would you rate Pick N Pay?

“International Online Shopping”

Selvanie N.
3/18/20

I did online shopping for my 92 year old Mum who lives in a retirement home. There were some issues with processing. I tried the contact numbers for both international and online shopping and was unsuccessful. I then tried customer service who put me through the relevant person who finally helped me through the process. There were many snags such as many of the items were unavailable and delivery slots taken for up to 8 days. I was relieved that my elderly mother would receive groceries in 8 days. Thank You. SNaidoo Australia

“Pick n Pay Northgate selling rotten meat”

Calvin M.
3/12/21

I brought meat by Pick N Pay Northgate and when I get home i discovered that it was expired i took the meat, i cope with the manager the guy didn't treat me well and his name is Thulani, that he end up saying i have to go and report wherever i want, as i moved to the refrigerator, I realized that the whole fridge is packed with expired meat, i took pictures so as evidence to report wherever I want as i was told by your manager, so will meet you guys in Court.

calvinm118
March 12th, 2021

Tip for consumers:
comply to CPA and their policies

selvanien
March 18th, 2020

christines806
July 25th, 2020

On 14 April I logged an email for a delivery made on the wrong date. The delivery was scheduled for 30 April and the order was incomplete. The goods were not accepted and returned with the driver.
I keep following up to obtain a refund or even a credit of R202.96. All I receive are automated responses.
Invoice number *******014.
The delivery service is acceptable but the admin support is pathetic.

pieterj11
June 18th, 2021

Busy with my shopping and the cashiers start shouting at me and comes to me in the shelves and tells me i cant shop anymore because they are closed get to the tills nobody help us they are all cashing up. If a customer keeps me busy after my business hours i have to help them. Will never shop at the southern centre and never recommend anyone go there.

Tip for consumers:
Do no go to pick n pay southern centre Bloemfontein

Products used:
Left my in tire trolley there. Didn’t buy anything

unhappyc655
June 14th, 2021

We placed an order and noticed the Smartshopper discounts were not being applied. We notified the support staff who indicated it would be rectified. The query was not resolved and numerous attempts with the call centre proved fruitless. We received a mail saying the problem was resolved.
Will not use them again -their competitors are much better and customer friendly.

lv42
May 1st, 2020

We ordered online for our elderly family in South Africa. We were charged the full amount on our credit card. However they were able to deliver only half of the items on our shopping list. The invoice that came with the groceries were half the initial order cost, yet we were charged the full amount. Very disappointing to discover that 3 items on the list to the value of R200 were actually not inclucded in the delivery. We tried to contact them by phone, needless to say we gave up after listening to music for an hour. An email was sent, no reply yet. We will never ever make use of their services again.

michaelm5457
September 25th, 2020

After 4 deliveries I have a list of complaints as long as my arm... but will mention just the worst...

1. I ordered 6 packs of lettuce... All were delivered on the same day as the Sell By Date. And worse... they all showed freezer burn from the ice bricks, Outer leaves were brown, limp and unappetising
2. On two occasions All of my meat products were not delivered... on another occasion ALL vegetables.
My Addis 150 L. Storage box arrived broken... the return procedure is not possible for me as I am shielding against covid... the reason I am shopping online in the first place.

I am looking for another service to deliver my food...

gavinh79
June 13th, 2021
Verified purchase

I recently purchased goods at Pick N Pay BT Ngebs Mall, which i paid at the till and had no problems at first. I exited the store and their machines at the door beeped and i continued to leave. I was called back by the security guard who was not polite at all. He treated me like a criminal insinuating I am a thief. As I got no satisfaction from the security guard I insisted that he call a manager. When I informed the manager of how I was treated, he did nothing to calm the situation. I insisted by telling the manager he can take his goods and shove it, give me a refund. Upon this the manager was highly insulted and turned around and made it into a race issue. The manager did not try to resolve the issue, but decided to record how upset I was and treat me further like a criminal also. All he did was stand in the end with his cellphone and record. Refusing to refund me my money. I really recommend that people should avoid this store and purchase their goods somewhere else. This way you too will not be treated as I was.

Tip for consumers:
Avoid stores that believe they have a right to treat you as a criminal.

diveraw
August 14th, 2020

I have been ordering online for delivery weekly for a few weeks now. Although I do tick that they can choose similar product if anything is out of stock, every week there are items missing. To date I could accept it but today they actually did not even deliver my brown bread with an excuse they had no brown bread of any kind in stock. Every week I order about 12 brown bread for the week. How can you not have brown bread! Now I have to go to the shops anyways, nullifying my reason for doing online shopping. I phoned customer service. The lady kept on asking me to hold on so she could log my call. In the end, after having to hold on for the 2rd time for how long I hanged up as there was just no will to assist me. Worst service ever!

colins208
June 25th, 2021

Your promo on the pick and pay sim card processing has now been taking a week and now the no is totally disconnected. The cost to me as a customer has been about R200 in calls to your customer care line. Have been a patron a P&P for most of my life very frustrating and disappointed

paul6
January 29th, 2021

I've abandoned using their website because several times I've tried searching for common products that they always have - but the search results come up empty, or completely irrelevant. I'm competent online and software engineer by trade. Their search feature should be embarrassing to them.

Try searching for clingwrap or cling wrap in the "Hyper Brackenfell" store. Sure, wrapping paper is nice, but that's not what I want. If you go though all 3 pages of results you won't find cling wrap. The mere fact that this happens means that I can't trust their search at all.

It does seem like the search effectiveness changes depending on the store. If I choose "Willowbridge Click and Collect" as the store, and search for "cling wrap" I find what I'm after... except, only the second time I try.

Also, when I search for "carrots" I guess you'd expect I was looking for carrots? Why would carrot cake be second in the list? Surely if I wanted carrot cake I'd search for... carrot cake?

I feel like Pick n Pay have implemented their search in a lazy manner. It seems like they simply take all the words from their product description and jam that into the search index. Search for "light bulbs" and what comes up on page 1? Light foil, Robertson's Light White (wine... and despite the sale being banned presently), Ryvita Light Rye, Coca-Cola Light, PnP Light Hummus, and so on and so on.

It really is not hard to pay a team of search and linguistic professionals to be intelligent about how they index their search. Instead, they expect I'm going to wade through their irrelevant results? No, I don't think so.

The first South African retailer to implement product search and logistics properly will make an absolute killing.

plentyp
June 5th, 2019

At first I didn't trust online shopping especially for groceries until I tried picknpay online. Their website was easier to use and friendly. I also had an option to use my coupons and points. With payment I used my debit card.
As for delivery they deliver same day at my door at reasonable prices.

If you are still hesitant about this website I can assure you it is very easy but try it yourself

gilld10
April 27th, 2020

Dear Puck n Pay online thank you all for a most superb service it is a true godsend to be able to feed an elderly parent remotely. Keep up the great work.

penelopeb31
March 9th, 2020

I live in US I have shopped online many years n many times but this time they blocked my order because my bank card says Bank of America and I'm a Black woman. They asked me to go my bank in the US n get a code and the bank here says they don't know what I'm talking about. They asked me any detail in this life I gave them everything but still they couldn't believe me. This is a huge insult but they lost a Great customer by being Racist I went ahead n called Woolworth n shopped there without any issues I got everything I need. High level of Proffesionalism at Woolworths.

Pick n pay you disappointed me n and you really got my feelings hurt I will never bother you for any reason even if I'm home in SA visiting I cannot stop n buy anything from there and sadly they did process the order n took money from my account just can't release the groceries. The saddest story about being Black is that no matter how successful you are but you will always be treated like a Criminal. Soooo Racist but it's okay this is not the only grocery store that does online

jadez9
February 27th, 2021

RECENTLY WENT TO PICK N PAY TO GET GINGER TO MAKE A HOME MADE REMEDY FOR CORONA.
BUT TO MY SUPRISE IT WAS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!
IMAGINE PAYING R 500 PER KILO FOR GINGER
Ridiculous

nikitah19
February 1st, 2021

We bought a laptop on the 7/03/2020 we experience problems from the beginning and we returned the laptop same day but the salesman claimed he fixed it while his hired to sell not to be a technician, he sent us home with the laptop and still same problem occured, we kept on going back and forth to same store and he refused to refund untill the 7 th day was up than later he suggested that the laptop be sent for repairs and we were told it will take 21 days to effect repairs later we were informed that we have to pay for repairs which we did on9/12/2020, follow up on repairs resulted numerous excuses with Kuben why repairs are not completed, according to pick n pay policy if customers are not satisfied they are entitled to refund we were not given a refund we were forced by Veeran to continue to wait for a repair for 2 momths follow up with sales man proved unsuccessful and we were referred to Kuben which he was forgetfull with our follow up he managed to finally returned the laptop after we contacted head office which proves futile as well, poor customer service by all employees of Pick n pay, customer service training is urgently required by all employees

Pick n Pay online has helped me feed myself when I was sick and it has also helped my elderly mother. I am able to shop remotely

By Gill D.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Pick N Pay staff and other customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pick N Pay?

Have a question about Pick N Pay?