NationwideHireUK.co.uk

NationwideHireUK.co.uk has a consumer rating of 2.42 stars from 194 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about NationwideHireUK.co.uk most frequently mention customer service, credit card and third party problems. NationwideHireUK.co.uk ranks 32nd among Car Rental sites.

No positive highlights yet

• The person who takes your money is excellent, the customer service agents who deal with the dispute are dreadful.
How would you rate NationwideHireUK.co.uk?

“Great Service”

Helen V.
2/1/20

Booked via phone. Kate was a massive help, whole transaction went smoothly, Van delivered at time promise and was better than expected. Great service

“Horrendous! Avoid unless you want to be let down at the last minute and pay over the odds!”

Clare G.
8/22/20

Horrendous! Do not use this company, spent hours Sending them all the proofs needed for them to ring us on the morning of our move 35 mins before the van was due to be here to say the vehicle has been damaged and now was unavailable for hire, no other vehicle offered, no compensation and left us with a house packed and ready to move and having to find another van in 40 mins! Terrible and very expensive! Don't use unless you want to be let down!

customer service (29)
clareg46
August 22nd, 2020

peterw809
November 18th, 2020

Possibly the worst vehicle hire…
Possibly the worst vehicle hire experience in 30 years of hiring. The booking process was smooth & great customer service from all we dealt with but that's where it ended. The van was 3 hours late being delivered & required multiple calls to find out what was going on. Once delivered it had a tank gauge showing empty, no SatNav (as booked & paid for), the hand brake alarm sounded intermittently throughout driving & a hole in the roof meant that much of our cargo was wet & some was damaged beyond further use. We wrote four times to Nationwide Hire asking them to contact us to discuss our complaint but they have not responded in over a month & a half. We are now contacting Trading Standards as the Company seems unwilling to answer our complaint. We would not hire from them again, nor recommend them, based mainly on their lack of after sales service & no response to our correspondence.

fionab81
September 7th, 2020

Booked large van. Due at 8.30am. 10.00 no show. Constantly had to call them to find out was going on. Each phone call no one didnt know what I was talking about. 5 hrs later enterprise delivered an ordinary transit van. Not what was ordered. Cost as £431.00. Train tickets had to be altered. I had to take an extra day off work as a carer for elderly as wasnt back in time which I dont get paid for. Then got charged £40 worth of fuel. 3/4 of tank was given. 1/2 tank it went back with. No way £40 of fuel.

trevorp64
July 5th, 2020

Van was eventually delivered 4.5 hours after the initially agreed time. This meant delaying my 400 mile planned journey until the next day. Van had a number of damaged areas including important lighting that could no longer function and broken radio which meant no traffic reports being available. Cab and load area were filthy, clearly no cleaning had been done between hires, very concerning from a COVID-19 perspective. What made the situation even worse was the complete lack of support from the customer support desks of both Nationwide Hire UK and the van supplier Enterprise. No email or call back concerning the above issues.

ianb436
August 5th, 2020

Just tried to upgrade to a vehicle with aircon, presumably by paying more. The rude and dismissive guy just kept repeating "We cannot guarantee aircon in peak season" but refused to answer if they could guarantee it at a different time of year. Bizarre customer service

jh912
July 21st, 2020

This company is a disaster. What was meant to be a useful service to make moving house less stressful has lead to unbelievable amount of hassle and grief. Nationwide never came to pick up the van even though I called them multiple times a day. In the end I had to call the third party (whom were very helpful) and they came to pick it up. This company makes your life hell.

helenv78
February 1st, 2020

Great service

chrisk1331
March 11th, 2021

Twice we have been sold van (7.5T) hire from Nationwide in which they claim to be able to deliver a vehicle and once they have taken our money they then informed us that it was not possible to deliver and we would have to collect it from a far away location (1.5 hrs away) for no discount. The person who takes your money is excellent, the customer service agents who deal with the dispute are dreadful. Both times Nationwide's markup on the local garage who hired the vehicle was in excess of 100%. The second time we did not know we were dealing with Nationwide initally as they market under more than one name. Would never touch them again.

mehuld
June 13th, 2020

Highly unprofessional customer service who while has taken my "booking" has indicated that he won't be able to "confirm" the van. Furthermore, as part of the booking he has charged my credit card, and will charge a cancellation fee (good luck with that mate - American Express will come after you!).

sarab304
February 25th, 2020

Very quick response time and they always have availability of the type of vans we need and deliver to our offices, which being a small team, really makes our lives easy. Katie in particular has replied to email or action requests with amazing velocity and efficiency.
We are very happy with the service.

annetteb240
September 19th, 2020

This company took payment for a van which never arrived and refused to give a refund. They required further details from us but did not let us know. Instead, they kept our money. Any attempt to reason with them was ignored by a person called Sophy who just said "no refund" and sent a screen shot of their cancellation policy. We did not cancel. They did not send the van which we were fully expecting to arrive. They took this payment from my 85 year old father.

Zero concern for providing the service that they were paid for, zero concern for good customer relations. I cannot sufficiently express how angry I am. Be very careful if you choose to use this company.

emilyh464
August 20th, 2020

I cannot even begin to fathom how this company operates, booking a vehicle a day in advance(yes I know, last minute much) to be delivered at 10:30am, still wondering where the vehicle is at 11:00am, decide to give them a call for them to tell me the vehicle has been damaged and is not longer available for hire. You would know this before this time it was suppose to be delivered, it is not hard to communicate to your customers. To top it off a refund will take 3-5 business days for an issue that was their fault. Unimpressed to say the least.

peterc865
October 7th, 2020

My advice is avoid like the plague. Hired a van and paid £419 only to be supplied with an inadequate sized vehicle from a different company, asked for my money back and got laughed at. Company of crooks and this is backed up by other reviews

safinaa1
October 15th, 2020

I would not recommend this company to anyone. With what started off as a very easy and smooth sailing has turned into an absolute nightmare. I hired a van from to drive back to Scotland. I have then been accused of damaging the van. I know with absolute fact that it was not me as I was very careful with the van. I disputed the case in May and heard nothing until July when they called be practically demanding i paid the amount. When i told them i couldnt afford it the advisor asked me to borrow or to put it on a credit card. I unwillingly paid a portion of the amount due to the threatening tone of the adviser. Followed up with an email asking of evidence of the amount before paying anymore. I have now received called again 3 months later asking for the remaining balance to be paid, albeit from a nicer advisor. There has been zero empathy from the company with respect to the situation. They have not acknowledged their part in this at all (failed to offer excess cover, the representative did not take me round the car). They have constantly called me out the clue demanding money with zero acknowledgement of my emails. If i had caused the damage, i would accept and settle the amounts. However, I refuse to pay for damage I have not caused, especially where there has been little consideration for my arguments and 0 sensitivity around handling the situation during these difficult times.

emilys458
January 8th, 2020

I tried to hire a large van from them in December 2019.
A few hours after I had initially enquired with them, they were still struggling to find me a van and hadn't confirmed my booking via email so I rang their customer service team and spoke to Andrew and asked him if there was any payment or penalty I would have to pay if I cancelled this enquiry and Andrew confirmed there was no payment or penalty I would have to pay as they hadn't confirmed the booking from their side and hadn't been able to find me a van as of yet.
£305.98 was then taken out of my account and when I then chased Nationwidehireuk to find out what had happened I had a very rude response from their 'Head of Customer Service' Marcelle saying that she doesn't know what a colleague of hers had told me but they will be charging me the full amount!
After a few back and forth emails I asked Marcelle to call me and she pretending to be too busy to return my call but got her colleague Nathalia to call me. Nathalia apologised and confirmed to me that as my booking hadn't been confirmed they will be issuing me a refund.
NationwidehireUK have still not issued me a refund and have ignored two official complaint letters I have taken the time to write into them. Their website states they will respond to complaints within seven days.

Don't use this dodgy, rude, dell boy company!

I am going to take this to trading standards

adrianc145
April 7th, 2020

My son had contacted Nationwide Hire via online chat to enquire about the cost etc to hire a 7.5 ton wagon, with me driving. He dealt with Katie L during the chat. He then passed me the transcript so I could follow it up with a booking.

Phoned up and spoke to Katie who took me through the booking process, licence check, payment etc. Katie was very good throughout, answering any questions I had and explaining what would happen next. All very clear and simple. The lorry arrived a few days later, delivery driver took me through the vehicle checks with great attention to detail, also did I. All went well and the wagon was picked up the day after the hire had finished but no issues with that.

All in all a great service from start to finish. Thank you.

johnw3579
January 10th, 2021

I booked a van at 10 am, 7 hours later they could not confirm the order, so I requested to cancel. They still took £428.00 from my account and I am still fighting to retrieve the funds.

agnev1
April 1st, 2020

Unbelievable! I don't accept car because car was very dirty inside, car seat was not useful. I call to office and they say no problem, i can have refund. But no, they charge me for my order of 3 days, and now they told me if i have no pictures, they can't help me

nelsonh44
March 20th, 2020

30 minutes before the 9 seater automatic transmission minibus was to be delivered I was notified that they would be delivering a manual transmission. I paid quite a bit extra to be assured of getting an automatic as driving in London is difficult enough without dealing with a clutch. The van was delivered on time and everything was great except the stress of driving a manual around London. I have no issues except that when I contacted Nationwide they refused to refund the difference in price between the higher priced automatic that I paid for and the manual that they delivered. If you go on their site today, the price difference is 70 pounds, and the price difference was higher during the holidays. Their reluctance to refund the difference is really ruining an otherwise good experience. I never write reviews but this is ridiculous. Give me my refund!

nervtechl
March 16th, 2020

We had a great experience with Nationwide Hire UK. We rented a van when coming from abroad. Amazing service and really fast communication!

Massive thanks to Katie from the sales department, who was very helpful and professional during the process.

ians462
June 7th, 2021

This company should be shut down, totally unprofessional do not use this so called van hire company they are a disgraceful bunch of amateurs

bobb788
December 12th, 2019

Please see the photo. The van was meant to be delivered at 5pm so just an hour and a quarter before I receive a text saying it's not available. These people are a public disservice. Think twice and then use someone else. Amateurs.

karens1806
August 27th, 2020

Cancelled my van at last minute as they had overbooked, just sent me an email, very little explanation. Failed to return my calls, cost me a lot of money. They don't actually have vans, they're just a broker

denisew457
December 15th, 2020

This has got to be the worst experience I have had when hiring vans for my business. I reserved 2 Luton Vans on a Friday for the following Friday for one days hire. On the Monday I received an email asking for confirmation of driver details for one of the Lutons and also an email advising me that one of the reservations had been cancelled. I then received a call from Customer Services saying that they didn't have a vehicle available and couldn't offer me anything else. I wasn't happy but there wasn't a lot i could do so I rang around and hired from a different company a Merc Sprinter. On the Tuesday at 16:00 I received a call to say they were cancelling the second Luton as it wasn't available and they couldn't offer me anything else. I will NOT be using this shambles of a company again.

nh130
July 18th, 2020

I booked a van for moving to be delivered to an address where I was dropping off a hire car days before the delivery date. At 5pm on the day before delivery (due at 12pm) they called me and said there was a problem with delivering to the address and could I do a walk-in somewhere nearby to get the van. I said yes, that would be fine. I was told that they would email me back with details. They sent nothing that day and their phone lines were closed. The following day, nothing and all calls were met with "We'll call you back". I drove an hour and a half to drop off my hire car and pick up the van, and 15 minutes before it was due, they called me back to say they couldn't do it now and there was no availability until 10am the following day. This left me stranded with no vehicle, an hour and a half from my home in a remote location and with no way to move out. Basically, they messed up, did not seem to care at all, offered no attempt to help, no discount, no recompense; not even sympathy.
I find it hard to believe that a company can get away with treating its customers like this.

I have had dealings with Marcelle too. Refuses to answer emails and never returns calls - disgraceful

By David R.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the NationwideHireUK.co.uk staff and other customers.

Cars, Vans, Minibuses & Trucks

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NationwideHireUK.co.uk?

Have a question about NationwideHireUK.co.uk?