NationwideHireUK.co.uk

NationwideHireUK.co.uk has a consumer rating of 2.48 stars from 187 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about NationwideHireUK.co.uk most frequently mention customer service, credit card and third party problems. NationwideHireUK.co.uk ranks 31st among Car Rental sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 45.2%

No positive highlights yet

• Customer Service at this company sucks, they will not return calls or emails - STAY AWAY
How would you rate NationwideHireUK.co.uk?

“Great Service”

Helen V.
2/1/20

Booked via phone. Kate was a massive help, whole transaction went smoothly, Van delivered at time promise and was better than expected. Great service

“Horrendous! Avoid unless you want to be let down at the last minute and pay over the odds!”

Clare G.
8/22/20

Horrendous! Do not use this company, spent hours Sending them all the proofs needed for them to ring us on the morning of our move 35 mins before the van was due to be here to say the vehicle has been damaged and now was unavailable for hire, no other vehicle offered, no compensation and left us with a house packed and ready to move and having to find another van in 40 mins! Terrible and very expensive! Don't use unless you want to be let down!

customer service (29)
clareg46
August 22nd, 2020
peterw809
November 18th, 2020
Possibly the worst vehicle hire…
Possibly the worst vehicle hire experience in 30 years of hiring. The booking process was smooth & great customer service from all we dealt with but that's where it ended. The van was 3 hours late being delivered & required multiple calls to find out what was going on. Once delivered it had a tank gauge showing empty, no SatNav (as booked & paid for), the hand brake alarm sounded intermittently throughout driving & a hole in the roof meant that much of our cargo was wet & some was damaged beyond further use. We wrote four times to Nationwide Hire asking them to contact us to discuss our complaint but they have not responded in over a month & a half. We are now contacting Trading Standards as the Company seems unwilling to answer our complaint. We would not hire from them again, nor recommend them, based mainly on their lack of after sales service & no response to our correspondence.
fionab81
September 7th, 2020
Booked large van. Due at 8.30am. 10.00 no show. Constantly had to call them to find out was going on. Each phone call no one didnt know what I was talking about. 5 hrs later enterprise delivered an ordinary transit van. Not what was ordered. Cost as £431.00. Train tickets had to be altered. I had to take an extra day off work as a carer for elderly as wasnt back in time which I dont get paid for. Then got charged £40 worth of fuel. 3/4 of tank was given. 1/2 tank it went back with. No way £40 of fuel.
nelsonh44
March 20th, 2020
30 minutes before the 9 seater automatic transmission minibus was to be delivered I was notified that they would be delivering a manual transmission. I paid quite a bit extra to be assured of getting an automatic as driving in London is difficult enough without dealing with a clutch. The van was delivered on time and everything was great except the stress of driving a manual around London. I have no issues except that when I contacted Nationwide they refused to refund the difference in price between the higher priced automatic that I paid for and the manual that they delivered. If you go on their site today, the price difference is 70 pounds, and the price difference was higher during the holidays. Their reluctance to refund the difference is really ruining an otherwise good experience. I never write reviews but this is ridiculous. Give me my refund!
trevorp64
July 5th, 2020
Van was eventually delivered 4.5 hours after the initially agreed time. This meant delaying my 400 mile planned journey until the next day. Van had a number of damaged areas including important lighting that could no longer function and broken radio which meant no traffic reports being available. Cab and load area were filthy, clearly no cleaning had been done between hires, very concerning from a COVID-19 perspective. What made the situation even worse was the complete lack of support from the customer support desks of both Nationwide Hire UK and the van supplier Enterprise. No email or call back concerning the above issues.
ianb436
August 5th, 2020
Just tried to upgrade to a vehicle with aircon, presumably by paying more. The rude and dismissive guy just kept repeating "We cannot guarantee aircon in peak season" but refused to answer if they could guarantee it at a different time of year. Bizarre customer service
jh912
July 21st, 2020
This company is a disaster. What was meant to be a useful service to make moving house less stressful has lead to unbelievable amount of hassle and grief. Nationwide never came to pick up the van even though I called them multiple times a day. In the end I had to call the third party (whom were very helpful) and they came to pick it up. This company makes your life hell.
mehuld
June 13th, 2020
Highly unprofessional customer service who while has taken my "booking" has indicated that he won't be able to "confirm" the van. Furthermore, as part of the booking he has charged my credit card, and will charge a cancellation fee (good luck with that mate - American Express will come after you!).
annetteb240
September 19th, 2020
This company took payment for a van which never arrived and refused to give a refund. They required further details from us but did not let us know. Instead, they kept our money. Any attempt to reason with them was ignored by a person called Sophy who just said "no refund" and sent a screen shot of their cancellation policy. We did not cancel. They did not send the van which we were fully expecting to arrive. They took this payment from my 85 year old father.

Zero concern for providing the service that they were paid for, zero concern for good customer relations. I cannot sufficiently express how angry I am. Be very careful if you choose to use this company.
adrianc145
April 7th, 2020
My son had contacted Nationwide Hire via online chat to enquire about the cost etc to hire a 7.5 ton wagon, with me driving. He dealt with Katie L during the chat. He then passed me the transcript so I could follow it up with a booking.

Phoned up and spoke to Katie who took me through the booking process, licence check, payment etc. Katie was very good throughout, answering any questions I had and explaining what would happen next. All very clear and simple. The lorry arrived a few days later, delivery driver took me through the vehicle checks with great attention to detail, also did I. All went well and the wagon was picked up the day after the hire had finished but no issues with that.

All in all a great service from start to finish. Thank you.
emilyh464
August 20th, 2020
I cannot even begin to fathom how this company operates, booking a vehicle a day in advance(yes I know, last minute much) to be delivered at 10:30am, still wondering where the vehicle is at 11:00am, decide to give them a call for them to tell me the vehicle has been damaged and is not longer available for hire. You would know this before this time it was suppose to be delivered, it is not hard to communicate to your customers. To top it off a refund will take 3-5 business days for an issue that was their fault. Unimpressed to say the least.
peterc865
October 7th, 2020
My advice is avoid like the plague. Hired a van and paid £419 only to be supplied with an inadequate sized vehicle from a different company, asked for my money back and got laughed at. Company of crooks and this is backed up by other reviews
safinaa1
October 15th, 2020
I would not recommend this company to anyone. With what started off as a very easy and smooth sailing has turned into an absolute nightmare. I hired a van from to drive back to Scotland. I have then been accused of damaging the van. I know with absolute fact that it was not me as I was very careful with the van. I disputed the case in May and heard nothing until July when they called be practically demanding i paid the amount. When i told them i couldnt afford it the advisor asked me to borrow or to put it on a credit card. I unwillingly paid a portion of the amount due to the threatening tone of the adviser. Followed up with an email asking of evidence of the amount before paying anymore. I have now received called again 3 months later asking for the remaining balance to be paid, albeit from a nicer advisor. There has been zero empathy from the company with respect to the situation. They have not acknowledged their part in this at all (failed to offer excess cover, the representative did not take me round the car). They have constantly called me out the clue demanding money with zero acknowledgement of my emails. If i had caused the damage, i would accept and settle the amounts. However, I refuse to pay for damage I have not caused, especially where there has been little consideration for my arguments and 0 sensitivity around handling the situation during these difficult times.
emilys458
January 8th, 2020
I tried to hire a large van from them in December 2019.
A few hours after I had initially enquired with them, they were still struggling to find me a van and hadn't confirmed my booking via email so I rang their customer service team and spoke to Andrew and asked him if there was any payment or penalty I would have to pay if I cancelled this enquiry and Andrew confirmed there was no payment or penalty I would have to pay as they hadn't confirmed the booking from their side and hadn't been able to find me a van as of yet.
£305.98 was then taken out of my account and when I then chased Nationwidehireuk to find out what had happened I had a very rude response from their 'Head of Customer Service' Marcelle saying that she doesn't know what a colleague of hers had told me but they will be charging me the full amount!
After a few back and forth emails I asked Marcelle to call me and she pretending to be too busy to return my call but got her colleague Nathalia to call me. Nathalia apologised and confirmed to me that as my booking hadn't been confirmed they will be issuing me a refund.
NationwidehireUK have still not issued me a refund and have ignored two official complaint letters I have taken the time to write into them. Their website states they will respond to complaints within seven days.

Don't use this dodgy, rude, dell boy company!

I am going to take this to trading standards
agnev1
April 1st, 2020
Unbelievable! I don't accept car because car was very dirty inside, car seat was not useful. I call to office and they say no problem, i can have refund. But no, they charge me for my order of 3 days, and now they told me if i have no pictures, they can't help me
bobb788
December 12th, 2019
Please see the photo. The van was meant to be delivered at 5pm so just an hour and a quarter before I receive a text saying it's not available. These people are a public disservice. Think twice and then use someone else. Amateurs.
karens1806
August 27th, 2020
Cancelled my van at last minute as they had overbooked, just sent me an email, very little explanation. Failed to return my calls, cost me a lot of money. They don't actually have vans, they're just a broker
helenv78
February 1st, 2020

Great service
nh130
July 18th, 2020
I booked a van for moving to be delivered to an address where I was dropping off a hire car days before the delivery date. At 5pm on the day before delivery (due at 12pm) they called me and said there was a problem with delivering to the address and could I do a walk-in somewhere nearby to get the van. I said yes, that would be fine. I was told that they would email me back with details. They sent nothing that day and their phone lines were closed. The following day, nothing and all calls were met with "We'll call you back". I drove an hour and a half to drop off my hire car and pick up the van, and 15 minutes before it was due, they called me back to say they couldn't do it now and there was no availability until 10am the following day. This left me stranded with no vehicle, an hour and a half from my home in a remote location and with no way to move out. Basically, they messed up, did not seem to care at all, offered no attempt to help, no discount, no recompense; not even sympathy.
I find it hard to believe that a company can get away with treating its customers like this.
sharonb512
July 1st, 2019
Unprofessional rude and arrogant staff slammed down phone when trying to ask about my refund as in their own terms and conditions. Without doubt the worse company and staff I have ever dealt with. Sent a totally different van than the the one requested unroadworthy and unsafe. Was rejected and sent back refused to refund. Trading standards investigations are piling up. DO NOT USE
neilb146
June 18th, 2019
Quoted for a hire including delivery and collection from our address. Spoke to them on the phone it was no issue and they took payment.

A day before the hire they contact us demanding to nearly double the hire charge.

They are not listening that they agreed a contract to supply a service, or that we have costs we can't recover now as a result.

Crazy, possibly the worst customer service I've ever encountered.
grahamb107
December 2nd, 2019
I booked a 17 seat mini bus with nationwide and 4 days later (48 hours before the hire day) they called and couldn't deliver the bus and cancelled the booking letting down 17 people.
richardc1163
November 6th, 2019
Avoid this company. They will scam you for additional charges. I've just been charged for £127 fuel even though it went back fully fuelled.
mattheww108
May 21st, 2018
• Updated review
Update to my review on the 28th April 2018.

Nationwide have since not acknowledged our formal complaint and unbelievably have taken a further unsolicited payment of £275 from our card. Frankly this is now theft and therefore this company have now gone from exceptionally unprofessional to compete rogue criminals. Court action to follow.

Please God don't use this company you will regret it.
Cowboys
April 28th, 2018
• Previous review
Cowboys. If you want a company to let you down big time, break your heart and not care one bit then go for Nationwide Hire UK.

Two Luton vans booked 6 weeks in advance for moving my family from London to liverpool. They took the money no problem and vans were due to be delivered on Friday morning. 2pm on Thursday two transit vans arrive from Hertz, one large one small. Not what we ordered, delivered a day early, no notice, and not big enough to move our furniture.

No notice was given by nationwide (they say they confirm your vehicles 24hrs before) - upon calling they frankly could not care one bit. We were left with one van and had to dump all of our furniture. The staff we beyond apathetic to the point where they seemed to enjoy the hurtful situation they created. When you call them you get a different operator each time, these guys are robots they dont care about you.

Promised another van by 10am Friday. Did it turn up, you guessed it - no. Did they notify us or take any responsibility - no.

Nationwide are a broker, they do not have their own vehicles, they contract out to the likes of hertz. Booking in advance will guarantee you nothing and you will receive no notification if what youve ordered is not available. They will not deliver your vehicles on time even if you get them and should you need to call them up then you would get a better response if you asked your own dog for help.

Horrendous company, they will steal your money, not deliver on promises and should you lose out because of it they will laugh back at you.

They will take your money on the day of booking and from them on will wash their hands if you and you will have to fight tooth and nail to get it back.

Save youself the pain and just book direct with an actual hire company. It wont be long until you see these guys on watchdog or in administration.
davidr1647
October 24th, 2019
Because the vehicle wasn't collected at the agreed time, I was charged an extra two days rental even though they collected it later the same day. Customer Service at this company sucks, they will not return calls or emails - STAY AWAY

I have had dealings with Marcelle too. Refuses to answer emails and never returns calls - disgraceful

By David R.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the NationwideHireUK.co.uk staff and other customers.

Cars, Vans, Minibuses & Trucks

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NationwideHireUK.co.uk?

See reviews as you browse with our Chrome extension

2.5
Have a question about NationwideHireUK.co.uk?