Review of MakeupAlley

Syosset, New York, United States
info@MakeupAlley.com

karenp451
6/8/19

I looooved this site when I first joined (the VERY beginning of time!). People were friendly and swaps were great! I never knew so many products existed and I was introduced to "etailers". Then for reasons unknown they did away with swaps (boo!). I had so much more to try/swap. HOW dare they! Then all of a sudden the ladies and gents started acting above everyone and it was their opinion or the highway! Gang-up mentality ensued and heaven forbid you have a question! You got chastised! The new format is CRAP! So long MUA! You will be a period of my life when I looked to you for excitement.

stacyw67
9/18/18

Ivusedvto love cafe and could spend half the day on there. Embarrassing I know. Now has become a drama laden sheetfest of pc correctness and beehive mentally where g forbid one doesn't agree with the rest of the board you get attacked. The rest of the board is pretty chill most of the time but even then some board troll will try to stir things up. T
Nice to finally have block buttons but I have noticed board regulars now leaving ...lost a lot of board 'friends' that I used to talk to.

emmaleen
9/4/18

I have never seen a board where there is more bullying and crap going on. I'm sorry people need to have more respect for one another.

jeremyk37
3/8/18

I don;t personally use this site but my partner does and she says the reviews are great and are helpful in selection of products.

She recommends.

emilyh113
2/16/18

It doesn't pay off. It's mostly the forum for a chit-chat. I used to love it, but then realized that I was wasting my time.

marianm27
1/30/18

Not bad. Huge amount of short reviews. Helpful in general, but a bit messy. Do not expect to be compensated for contribution.

ll579
6/28/17

Some people write reviews without even trying the product, or they give good rating because the product was advertised by their favorite idol.
For example: No matter if it's a cc cream that makes your face look like you washed it with pure oil, they will still compliment it how cool it is because (enter famous person's name here) also uses that. "It gives a natural glow". Lol.

I think it's more useful if you check google or youtube for reviews. More trustworthy and you can see how does the product looks on a person. On makeupalley noone really posts pictures, just anonymous reviews.

laurap125
5/2/17

I always check Makeup Alley reviews for products I am researching to buy. The reviews that are in-depth and include the color, etc. of the product are the best. Sometimes they give tips for usage that are really great. I have learned a lot from the reviewers on Makeup Alley.

barbarar119
8/11/16

which is the longest lasting liquid matte lipcolor? For me up until now revlon surprisingly lasted the longest but there are so many competitors.
tried kat von d and anastasia but neither lasted as long as revion. what is the consensus on this subject?

kpp1
3/20/15

This site is great resource as far as the user reviews go, but if you are looking for a pleasant, non-judgmental group of people to come to with beauty and fashion questions, you may want to skip the boards. The site insists that posts regarding religion, politics, and a slew of other things are a no-no; however, it does nothing to prevent people from posting off-topic rants against whatever segment of society they are currently hating. I was hoping for a less partisan atmosphere (for example, a thread about atheism containing some very inflammatory remarks about a certain mainstream religion is allowed to stay up, whereas a thread regarding anything positive about said mainstream religion is removed. Why wouldn't both be taken down? They are both potentially antagonistic, and both have to do with personal beliefs that are not germane to anything intended to be discussed on those boards. I don't care what you do or don't believe, or how you vote, or whether or not you work outside the home, or what your race is, or how you raise your children, or where you take your pet to the vet, and I don't care to be flamed because I do something different. But I've seen that happen a hundred times to other people on quite a few different boards), so I am done with the forums. I am not referring to the Café board, where anything goes-I am referring to some of the others, where anything is NOT supposed to go, such as the over 40 board, the fashion board, the work and money board, and the pet board. I don't understand why people have such a problem keeping on topic, as the "rules" are clearly stated at the top of the page on each forum.
Now, the product reviews are fairly useful, though I wish the mods would do a better job of weeding out reviews people leave for products they haven't actually used. A feature I especially like is that if you find a particularly succinct review, you can follow the reviewer and read what they have to say about other things as well, which is a good way to avoid the people who leave one-liners that tell you nothing. So, all in all, this site is useful if you just need to know what a few people thought of something you are wondering about buying, but don't come here expecting a friendly atmosphere. And for goodness sake, don't dare ask any questions!!

candiceg2
9/12/14

Tip for consumers: i'll be back here when im free

bellet1
4/22/14

This site is good. I love to browse this site and viewing their products.

tammys14
4/2/14

This is most defiantly my favorite site I use before buying makeup!

heavenlyb
1/25/14

I've been on Makeupalley.com since the dawn of the internet (well, almost). Just looking at my username on there indicates it's a decade. Now my daughter uses it as well. It's been invaluable over the years. You can really research a product, tons of genuine reviews and useful information. You can find the most highly voted of all time of every type of product (you can be sure it will be a gem, and often far from the most expensive) and even search by demographic. One of the all time greats, that never sold out, nor sold out their users.

vanj8
11/7/13

i joined the website not too long ago and i love it. finally, found the website which shares true cosmetics reviews. thank you very much!

love makeuoalley:):):)

anetteb
9/27/13

I joined this website few months ago, and love talking with other girls about our girl stuff:)
Super easy registration, clear website, and the doors are open to big community:D

Love it,
Anette

deniseg13
9/9/13

i just received this Product today and i love it!it goes on very smooth and it compliments my complexion.you can not go wrong for this price.

terryh36
9/4/13

I recommend this site! I buy from here all the time

ninac1
8/15/11

I've been a member of makeupalley.com for about 10 years. I love this site. The content is mostly powered by its members, so the reviews are pretty much unbiased. I hardly ever make a cosmetics or skincare purchase without consulting the reviews on Makeupalley first.

Selling via the forums is strictly prohibited, which is nice - of course that won't stop someone from posting as a member in order to brag about a cosmetics brand that they sell, but you can usually spot those kind of reviews right away, and they are far and few in between.

Makeupalley.com is a fun and very useful site to help beauty-seeking ladies make educated decisions before shelling out cash on makeup purchases.

danielles5
7/12/11

Love this site! Before I spend more than 20$ on any item (Make up, Skin Care etc) I ALWAYS check reviews on this website! Love it! :)

hollyr1
7/9/11

Awesome. This site is so much fun. Great product reviews, swap features, new trend ideas. Love it.

kristir2
8/23/10

Gotta love that swap feature. Much of the makeup is never even used. I know I have bought plenty of make up and never even bothered to open it up and then wish I could trade it for something else. Forums are great for sharing knowledge and site is really easy to use.

kaylas
3/23/10

awesome site if you like to swap tips with fellow beauty enthusiasts. also great place to find out about new products, beauty coupons, etc. its definitely the place i go when i have a beauty emergency!

kimt
5/15/08

Easy to navigate! - My favorite part is the reviews about skin care and beauty products. The other make up review site that was listed was too hard to read. Make up sites should not have ugly user interfaces.

Questions? Get answers from the MakeupAlley staff and other customers.

1 Photo for MakeupAlley