Review of CNET

San Francisco, CA 94105, US
sard@cnet.com

jayg139
9/1/18

Used to get clean unbiased information on the latest tech. Now it's high end cars and sous vide? Bursting with ads, with articles that shift position while you are looking at them. Sometimes I'll select the wrong article because its 'shifts' right when I select it. Articles are reposted as new when they are not. A few good articles for sure, but now it's mostly over commercialized crap.

joelw45
2/27/18

CNET Supports corrupt companies. Besides finding several apps that were listed as FREEWARE / No Fee, then finding they has a 20 USD price, I assumed employee's of CNET are lazy about verifying the products they represent. I finally found a product I liked called 'Write Monkey,' listed as freeware. I downloaded it, and found it to be a basic text editor like 'Notepad.' The higher functions I wanted were available only when a donation was sent. I installed the program, and sent in a donation. I was supposed to get a reply with a code. . My bank verified the purchase was made. The guru had my money. Technically, it is not a purchase, as the leader one very slick guru, a master pomaranchathey, calls it a donation, but clearly stipulates the higher functions are available only when a donation is sent.

I received NO RECEIPT IN EMAIL, NO SPECIAL KEY... They are corrupt as they took my money with no return mail,

To recap; NO key or acknowledgement of my purchase they call a donation. It is a purchase as they say to received the higher functions, send a donation they will send a key. None of that happened. So I sent an EMAIL to the Guru explaining my problem. I received in reply a 'No user found via return reply. Write Monkey may or may not be great, but the head is Just one more fake guru, making money on off shore patrons who have no recourse.

fuggoffp
2/2/18

When I tried to search the reviews, the site became absolutely unusable. Elements kept bouncing around so that filters I had no interest in would be applied (while I could never get the ONE I cared about to activate). Within 5 minutes the tab it was in was using 3.5 GB of memory (for comparison Amazon was at 650 MB after 15 minutes of active, successful searching).

magsb
2/25/17

Don't pull $#*! like popup video ads, that deceitfully generate a separate tab when you click the X, or you get a bad review.

bobc103
12/7/16

I have visited cnet for almost 2 decades and while they used to have good content all they offer now is an infinite variety of obnoxious ads that do everything possible to distract the user. maybe you need a few adults to guide the kids who assemble this crap.

taylorj11
8/18/16

It was nice years ago but now it is bad. They try to be stylish and nothing functions anymore.

bettyr14
11/3/15

Tried downloading 3 pieces of software, every time I got a virus or malware. Just not worth the effort anymore coming here~

davidt85
9/29/15

I have been in IT for 17 years, when I need software or freeware or my clients ask about software this is where I point them, They have a great site very user friendly and after using them for years I trust the information they have. If you are not sure about software you can even download a lot of good software directly from them and avoid the risk of getting malware tagged along in the package.
Over the years they have evolved and they also review anything technical be it hardware, software phones almost anything after using them as long as I have they have never steered me wrong and it is about time I thanked them.
They are knowledgeable trustworthy and I have never seen any bias on their part. An easy 5 stars!
*****Since writing this review I have read people including people here saying that CNET is now including malware with their downloads and going to great lengths to show the proof. I am not saying these people are wrong I am just curious why I have never had the similar experience, my first thought was that they have fake sites cloning them borrowing on their good reputation just as has happened with many other sites AVG being the first to pop into my head I have looked into the issue a bit and I can not dismiss the possibility that they have sold out but it is late and I am on a slow connection in Central America so for tonight, I will leave my 5 stars from personal experience in tact and hope until I learn more that they have not gone to the dark side as implied,*****

cjg1
8/11/15

I love this site. I am far from being an expert in anything related to computing, but I get by. This site provides good reviews on the products out there and interesting articles to help consumers make informed choices. They are a hub for useful downloads too.

inaa3
12/23/14

The site used to be okay, but recently within seconds of clicking download my computer was flooded with malware such as optimizer pro and webssearch
Stay away!!!

andreww73
12/14/14

Ugh. I used to LOVE Cnet. But now? They bundle about half the downloads with horrible bloatware. Really a shame.

millieb3
8/17/14

I always used to download programs directly from cnet because I know that they come from the original source and do not have viruses. Which is still true, but I think the quality of programs that they show has declined.

Recently, I am disappointed to say that I downloaded something that came with another program, which was at best adware, but you could say spyware. I can no longer download from them with as much confidence as in the past.

I do enjoy their ratings, but now will have to be more careful about what I download.

Tip for consumers: Check and make sure you download the program you want and only that program!

echosyne
6/18/14

I was looking for a Mac application and thought I found it at Cnet. Right after clicking Download malware took over my browser and started downloading something different from what I expected. I turned off the modem, switched to backup drive and ran Sophos on the affected drive. Sophos found and deleted the malware.

loiso
4/9/14

I use cnet to find freeware (not trial version) or to check reviews about software I propose to buy. Each item shows how many users have downloaded it and their reviews.If you need help with how to, cnet has tutoring videos and text, detailed instructions, on many topics. I trust the site and rely upon staff reviews.

patrickp19
2/24/14

cnet is a great source for reviews and news on all things gadget and techy

juanv8
2/7/14

UNSCRUPULOUS & Should be Investigated for possible CRIMINAL ACTIVITY!

I fell for the scamware hidden in their installer - which they claim is fast, easy, and malware-free! Liars! I got the SweetPacks Browser Hijacker, and PC Optimizer Pro. Yay me! It took over a month for me to get it off because so many sites wanted me to go into my Registry, and I was afraid to do that to an $800 computer I had not even had for 6 whole months.

Read this article WITH SCREEN SHOTS that proves that EVEN WHEN YOU OPT OUT OF THEIR SCAMWARE OFFERS, YOU GET THE "POOP" ON YOUR COMPUTER ANYWAY!
www.groovypost.com/howto/avoid-computer-bloatware-from-cnet-download-com-crapware/

I will never, ever, ever download anything else from them or even go to their site ever again! What they are doing should be, if it's not already, against the law! The Software developers are not doing this - CNET/Download.com is doing it, and without the developers even knowing.

Good riddance, CNET. Hope to see you getting investigated very soon!
Shame on you!

karent19
12/28/13

Cnet is a site that informs you on software and tech. It has all types of software some free some free to try others buy now ect. The best thing is that you can read not only user and company reviews. It has the number of downloads and non bias comments. The downloads are always safe and reliable. It is easy to navigate through and no gimmicks. Free to register. This is the site i use to download anything.

jenniferw37
12/27/13

I use cnet.com whenever I need to download useful and free software, like ccleaner, spybot, or malwarebytes. It doesn't throw in extra "goodies" with your download that you don't want (spyware, adware). However, I always do a custom install, rather than a quick install, just in case someone tries to throw in an extra toolbar I don't want.

craige12
12/14/13

Two days ago I would have given CNET 5 stars, in preparing for my MTA test I found a practice test on CNET, hoora! It was a download, my first instinct was "don't do it" but hey... it's CNET. I spent an hour trying to get my machine back and it's still $#*!ed up, thanks for selling out guys.

amyl26
12/7/13

I love Cnet.com product reviews they have very extensive database electronic reviews that are too the point and non biased!

jerryg24
11/20/13

Like Kevin said, this used to be a reliable, trustworthy site. Now, their reviews are untrustworthy and often manipulated. I've spent hours removing malware from infected downloads which they said were malware-free.

johnr129
11/16/13

ALWAYS helpful info here - I use it frequently

prashants1
10/23/13

cnet is one of the site which helped me for many things like finding products,softwares etc. Time to time i go to cnet and get details of many thing this is one of my fav site.

davidb158
8/27/13

Basically my "Go To" site when I am poking around looking for software. Sometimes I know what I am looking for, sometimes I don't and just surf around the site. Either way a great resource. Freeware, shareware, etc... Also they only list legit software, no need to worry about downloading a virus.

Bottom Line: Should be at the top of your list when looking for software and peace of mind downloading clean software.

michaelb104
8/20/13

I like the website to help find software and news, but users have to take caution when selecting programs.

11 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Wish folks would have put in the 'trojan' downloads they were complaining about. One major problem are downloads such as AVAST, Malwarebytes, and PC fixer, actually bought a couple and had to get a refunds because it was the full professional versions that gave me these headaches. Their freeware worked fine for the most part, not totally but somewhat. I run Mozilla not IE, & even I set this as my browser preference immediately after download before running them. They still configured all pc as soon as began using their utilities for IE, Caused me major problems, because they recognized many of my installed apps as 'errors' in IE and changed them. Talk about a mess...took me days to fix things even after uninstalling. I am still trying to find spyware/malware software that won't do that...So far, no luck. Can cnet steer me to what I need. Also, another question I have and maybe the big one is that even though I get the green padlock of a secure site with cnet, I don't with downloads.com....why? It makes me nervous and have questionable results. I love cnet, but have problems with downloads.com. Ex: when downloaded Avast it switched my search engine and my email and etc, to Yahoo, which I didn't want...had to finally use about:config to get rid of and reset to my preferences...and ignoring the preferences I already had set. So I don't have any reluctance to use cnet, but have a lot with Downloads....and I don't know these problems exist until installation because it's hidden info in the download and any opt out doesn't work. Isn't there anyway for cnet to vet this stuff, before it approves the other sites software? Alternatively can cnet suggest other sites. Sincerely yours, Kelly B Rob P could you share your better options? Thanks.

Questions? Get answers from the CNET staff and other customers.

CNET?