Kijiji

Kijiji has a consumer rating of 1.36 stars from 238 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Kijiji also ranks 91st among Classifieds sites. The most common issues with Kijiji are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

No positive highlights yet

• A company with such rotten customer service should be boycotted by every self respecting person.
  • all the buyers have been driven away by endless ads and scam artists.....
How would you rate Kijiji?

“Make sure that you really want what you buy”

Nancy R.
2/19/18

Kijiji is not the issue i love it, but the people that buy need to do learn how it work. Like i sold a womens winter jacket to a man for is wife, i come without is wife to buy the jacket then 2 hours later i call me back to get is money back because it to small for is wife. Now is pis that i wont take it back. It not my responsibility to make sure it the good size for her. When you by use clothes from a privates u better make sure it goin to fit, if it doesn't it not the seller faults and as soon as you live whit what you buy it yours.

“Is Kijiji now a site for scammers??”

John C.
2/18/20

I have been posting items on Kijiji for almost a decade. Over the last year or so it has been really bad. I now receive 80% replies that are scammers, trying to send me cheques from New York, Toronto, Vancouver and on and on. I have even had replies saying sorry my accountant made a mistake and sent you a cheque for $4500.00 (when the item was $1500.00) and to give them my home address so some one can pick up the item and the remaining $2000.00. I now receive many replies with the so-called buyer wanting my personal email. Kijiji just keeps getting worse.

customer service (15) ads (88) people (60) phone number (8) review system (4) page (32) 10 years (4) 3 weeks (4) email address (5) dont use (4) way (50) search results (5)
johnc4256
February 18th, 2020
mw387
January 25th, 2020
What is wrong with these idiots. For years new every software change just makes it worse, their cllck fraud paid ad thing, getting rid of html editing, capping the number ads (I'm an individual selling used stuff, not a business) and so on . It was such a good system, Its like they;ve got a bunch of programmers and have to dream up $$#*! up for them to do. Meanwhile they make it impossible to talk to them to express the concerns. What sort of business tries to isolate itself from its customers? One that's not going to last.
richardz13
January 23rd, 2020
the new review system they have just put into place is an absolute joke. demanding 10 messages back and forth before you can give a review. most times I will have 2 - 4 before I give them my cell to get the address from. if I decide to 'buy.. i just bought a book scanner from a guy in courtice ontario. We had about a dozen messages back and forth before we went to text for the address etc. the deal went through without a hitch the product was exactly as stated ( actually far better than his ad. Yet, kijiji, will not let me post a review of the transaction with him. Barry Ad ID *******805.
if you read this I found you to be a very personable and helpful seller and I hopefully will be able to buy more of your items in the future.
johnm4503
March 9th, 2020
Who thought this new review system was a good idea? You so much as look at someone the wrong way, or turn down a lowball offer, and they decide to leave you a 1 star review. There's no moderation of reviews, so the seller has no recourse for review-bombing. The review just stays there forever, even if it's completely untrue? Not like that's ripe for abuse...
leol119
February 12th, 2020
People are leaving reviews after just one or two messages. Guess what, if they offer super low price and it's rejected they will leave 1 star. Not useful and misleading. Also people on kijiji expect you to give them your items pretty almost free
guillaumet13
March 4th, 2020
Google buy things and make them horrible. Endless flow of ads, dealers items everywhere, terrible location system. If you enjoy waste your time then enjoy this google heaven.
jeang167
January 13th, 2020
As if the dealer, auction and outside of search area results weren't bad enough... We now have the stupidest rating system on the planet. It's ludicrous that kijiji now assumes that after 5 back and forth messages between a seller and a buyer that a deal has taken place. Low ballers can now reply back with 2 low ball offers and then have the ability to rate and punish the seller for not accepting their low ball offers. Terrible decision, at minimum 10 messages should be the threshold. This new system is being abused and I won't be using kijiji again until they revert of change the stupid rating system. Horrible site, who makes these ridiculous decisions? Also, none of the scam or duplicate posts are ever deleted by reporting them on the site, what a great feature.
me286
January 2nd, 2020
I've just had kijiji delete my account of 11 years. I used to buy and sell a fair bit on kijiji but in the past few years not much has come to a final transaction either way. It's full of ads and commercial listings that are not of interest and clog up my search results and selling has become way too long and arduous with everyone trying to haggle and not even show up when an agreement is reached. Their new ill-thought out review system is the last straw. It's so obviously subject to abuse. All you need is 7 back and forth messages and bang, both sides have the ability to leave a review. As with all online communication, a great number of people revert into immature bullies and will lie or say things that they would never have the nerve to in a face-to-face conversation. Kijiji provides the perfect forum for that in a review system that does not require a transaction actually happened, just 7 messages, and they wash their hands of any monitoring or correction of unfair or untrue reviews. This means everyone will eventually run into someone that will rate them unfairly, whether they are a buyer or seller. It's a shame. It was once a great way to buy and sell in Canada but they seem determined to kill it here like they did in the US.
jessicam1410
March 18th, 2020
I got scammed by some movers I hired from Kijiji and on Kijiji's site, it says to contact them if this happens. They don't have the option of talking with someone on the phone, so I tried to Live Chat with someone. All three times I was informed they were too busy, so I had to send them an email. So I sent a very long and detailed email about how I was scammed and by whom. I was told I would hear back "shortly," but didn't, so I spent $70 to buy my own ad, warning people about this moving company (called Moving Transport, and run by a man with an incredibly strong accent who goes by the name of Steve and/or Peter--as I discovered later--depending on which phone number you use to contact him), not wanting anyone else to get scammed; I included screen shots of the quote "Steve" had given me, which "his movers" completely ignored when they showed up and demanded twice the price.
Anyway, finally I did get an email from Kijiji. It made NO mention about everything I'd written to them about the scam; instead they were emailing me to say that they had removed MY ad because it didn't follow their guidelines! I haven't heard anything from them since. I didn't expect to get my money back, but this con artist has 14 current ads on Kijiji, and someone else is bound to get scammed. I reported the incident to the non-emergency police line, and the officer with whom I spoke said that Kijiji is notorious for its scams, and that I was LUCKY I didn't lose more money than I did. He advised me to stop using Kijiji, because there is little they can do to find these scammers.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it, or if you do, follow your gut and don't blindly trust ANYONE. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

andrem101
February 18th, 2020
The review feature is great on ebay, and since kijiji is owned by ebay they thought it would be an awesome idea. NOT SURE WHYYYYY

So i have an item listed at 70$, item value is around $90-100 selling rate. Buyer messages asking if I would take $40. I replied nicely and said sorry that is too low, I am looking for more on this item.

Bam, negative review from a low baller ?? What a total joke.

The kijiji feature should be removed, or at least have a proper reason for the feedback, not just some pissed off buyer that wants stuff for free.

I still post stuff on there since its easy to lose old junk, but the site overall sucks, full of ads, full of paid ads, all the reviews are basically spot on.
jordanb398
February 6th, 2020
I have been fighting kijiji to remove another user that is breaking their policies by posting over 10 free ads a day while I only have 2 free ads as to their policy and I pay over $160 to have 2 more ads. The other user pushes my ad into the second page within hours and is showing other users you can get away with it.

I reported this user to kijiji EVERY DAY FOR OVER 6 MONTHS and the issue has not been resolved. I just want to let people know that kijiji is too lazy or stupid to fix this issue and does not care to fix it, even when you are a paying customer. This is just wrong in every way, I am looking for new marketing methods to replace Kijiji and I suggest to other business owners to not waste your time and money with them too!
shiftk
January 30th, 2020
Kijiji decided to add a review system due to high demand. However, they completely butchered it.

Once a review has been posted, it is no longer editable. Apparently, this is "to insure the integrity of the review system". That makes no sense

An old man bought something from me recently and left a 1 star review by accident (I confirmed it with him since I was wondering why he would do such a thing since there was nothing wrong). Now, he can't even change the review and my account is left at 1 star...

Kijiji, hire me to program your review system if it is that difficult for you. Heck, i'll do it for 50bucks if you're that big of a cheapskate.
nancyr156
February 19th, 2018
signmeu
February 4th, 2020
I just received a 2 star review from a seller who said he didn't have the monitor I wanted but he had a more expensive monitor. So, I declined. Meanwhile, the ad for the monitor I was interested in is still up. Now I can't change or remove my review. I used Kijiji a LOT but no more.
kenm406
January 3rd, 2020
WOW, was looking for some use parts for my son's TJ and I cannot believe what happened to this site ... 90% of ads are from dealers! If I wanted to look for new parts I would call my local dealer or supplier.
Deleting my account and not wasting anymore time on this site.
jamesb2766
March 8th, 2020
Who wants to buy a stupid bobble head for some people are asking to sell for over $50 there everywhere in kijiji in the sports sections or a signed Wendel Clarke hockey stick for or $2000 lol moron
gp113
March 20th, 2020
What a mess! I recently tried to look for an SUV, and have had such a hard time getting to see what I am looking for. What a MESS!!!
annap318
December 4th, 2019
#1: Site used to be full of legitimate buyers... now its a ghost town
#2: Search results are polluted with non-relevant ads from dealers
#3: Site has tanked since Ebay took over.
oingob
January 8th, 2020
Kijji used to be a site where people made informal transactions of low priced household items they no longer needed to recover a bit of the cost. Now it commercialized and is overrun with businesses that have so many duplicate and "no longer relevant" (which is Kijiji's way of saying not available) ads that bury your listing(s) in some categories within minutes. Many of them misrepresent themselves as "owners" which is Kijiji's way of describing a non- business private seller. Compounding this is Kijii's persistent prompts attempting to get you to pay for the privilege of temporarily moving your ad to the top of the dung heap and their ads that are constantly scrolling the screen so that you wind up selecting one of them by accident. Kijiji rary if ever deletes duplicate, expired, miscategorized or bogus ads despite their assurances. I find it laughable that anybody would pay for ad "upgrades"
unless they drastically improved the quality of the ads and clientele. Reposting ads puts them at the top of the 'most recent" default search sort which annoying keeps reverting to when you change anything in the search. This creates numerous problems with Kijiji's site when thousands of ads are uploaded via automated processes such as scripts typically on Friday evenings which can prevent you from uploading your ad(s). Since my ads contain a bit more than the ubiquitous 1 picture 3 words ads they are not as easy to repost.. They will however delete your ad quickly without even contacting you for unfounded reasons. I found this out when I posted a polar bear stuffed animal replete with make and model number, materials tag and measurements. I presume (since they never explained how it came to be) that one of their automated processes flagged and deleted my ad based on a keyword or an external Kijidiot decided that my ad was selling an item prohibited under the non-specific Illegal or Unauthorized Wildlife Products section of their policy despite the fact that it clearly was not made of such nor is Polar Bear skin banned (it is controlled) and reported it and another Kijidiot employed by them who failed to verify what the ad was selling. For a laugh check for Polar Bear rug and you will find many of them for sale so I am not sure how they decided that a stuffed animal was prohibited but not rugs made from real polar bear parts.. It took two appeals to find someone at Kijiji that had enough functioning grey matter to listen to my request to read the ad and look at the pictures and see that it was not a prohibited item and repost it. I took the ad down anyways as there was no assurance of more of the same idiocy from them. As a test I posted a prohibited warning type of ad which people sometimes post to let people know about a scammer and had it taken down very quickly,. They don't wan't it known that they are a scammer's paradise. They no longer allow ticket resales due to their unwillingness to work with LE to act on specific scammers. This helps ticket selling companies gouge purchasers by getting paid multiple comissions and
usurious "service fees" on the resale of the same tickets. Some ban resales of many events limiting your option to even cover your costs if you can't attend. I have reported thousands of ads based on their policy and have yet to see them act. I assume that they loathe me for ensuring there is no way they can honestly have any statistics that say they are managing their content effectively from a customer perspective anyways. They also have numerous ads for prohibited items such as dangerous recalled products, counterfeit fashion items, such as radar detectors which are banned in the provinces they are listed in, items which are listed in multiple and or false locations, stolen items such as tools and bicycles which they don't require the serial number which would greatly lower the value of them to thieves and fences. I rarely buy as most ads lack accurate, relevant and or verifiable content and I don't have time to waste asking for information and or pictures about items that should have had it in the first place or waiting to if I get a reply and to see if it is of any use.. Most of the time I find the item has damaged, (typically hidden and or undisclosed and or hidden damage, is
older than what claimed, has more wear and tear, is dirty and missing parts. Kijiji allows ads which lack specifics such as tire and wheel specifics that are not really optional unless you are intending to use them for something other than their intended purpose. Despite the numerous problems I do manage to sell my items as I really have an alternative platform that allows me to remain anonymous which I insist on for safety and sanity. I have been purging for years and have over hundreds of transactions which take anywhere from 10-20 contacts per item before a suitable buyer is found and 5-30 message to get them to read the ad and show up to the meeting place. They typically start a conversation with the Kijiji provided nuisance message "Hi, is this still available?" I understand many sellers don't take down their ads and Kijiji doesn't remove them even when the seller states the item is sold and it is reported but one should assume the item is available. Illiterates really appreciate being able to be able to write in either English or French. The new owners (eBay ) have introduced new features such as a response time statistic and rating system misnomered as review. These both lack protections from abuse so losers that have nothing better to do than message you when you are unavailable will lower your response time rating if you don't reply promptly. Since they don't allow you to review someone without seven messages you have no option but to block them to prevent future occurrences. Creating another anonymous account can be done within minutes any many keep separate seller and buyer accounts despite it being prohibited. . I found this out when I repeatedly blocked an aggressive haggler that would not respect my non-negotiable price and kept messaging me with a different account after I blocked them. I wound up selling it to them at full price. No surprise given their handle that they were the typical demographic which in my area are wealthy and this one was no exception driving a Mercedes Benz. Sellers are not able to block messages from any geographic location so rest assured you will get the inevitable message "Where are you located" and do you ever come to...? despite the info being in the ad. Typically this will occur after the inquirer has been asking you other superfluous ones.Then they will tell you they are not nearby and not interested as a result and or better... ask if you can deliver it for free or meet them somewhere close to them for a low value item.despite your ad saying you don't do that. I could go on for pages about the illiterate, ridiculous, sociopathic, dishonest, disrespectful and uncivilized people that I have dealt with and blocked but I don't want to make this review my novel.

P.S. the image is a 17: wheel that Julie thinks is 18" because the face is about 17.5" Sadly not shown in the capture

Tip for consumers: Proceed with caution

brentr67
December 26th, 2019
Kijiji used to be a great site to do business. Now it's mostly dealers and advertising. Nobody goes to Kijiji to buy from a dealer. Kijiji now sucks.I'm looking for an alternative.
jeddc
July 14th, 2019
If you are looking for ANYTHING, now kijiji puts ads for "new' and Dealerships before anything from users that are selling their own stuff. So if you want a particular item, be prepared to have to look through hundreds of new items from online stores or dealerships with the random item from a user or owner thrown in here and there. Its unbelievably ridiculous to use now. Where did all our options go? Oh right, Ebay bought it. So now we have to be spoon fed all the garbage. What a $hit site this is now. Such a shame.
laurad129
August 3rd, 2019
No one wants to purchase quality items... they want everything for free, total waste of time posting on this site
aminh7
October 12th, 2019
We put yesterday an ad and paid listing fee and urgent ad fee which totalled to $50.74. I checked till 1:30 am in the morning. The ad couldn't be seen. I wasted approximately 2 hours for posting the ad and also wasted money in posting it. They have no email address or phone number by which customers can make a complaint. Kindly beware. This scam has been going on for the past 1 month.
jimb133
May 25th, 2019
It says here on Site Jabber , to add photos or proof of purchase , but , Hey !! I have not been able to purchase anything . Every time that I see what I want , I send the message , and then ...nothing ...yes that's right ,..nothing , as if the add is a phoney .
I even sent a message to an ad , after it was posted for only 20 min . , and today ,10 Hrs later , still nothing . I am not looking to lowball anybody either , but no reply .
trevorf36
February 1st, 2019
Most of the serious/intelligent buyers & sellers have left Kijiji. Now the site is infested with nothing but scam artists & local business ads. A complete waste of time. I've found much better success on Facebook & Varagesale over the last 6 months. Less ads, less pro sellers, less headaches. lol... everything Ebay touches instantly turns into $ H I T

Internet vendors have no interest in people who can't afford to have a cellphone or connect over a personal IP address. Poverty sucks - you'd better get used to it. Only the govt can change change that, but don't hold your breath.

By Guy S.