Review of Kijiji

Toronto, Ontario M5V 1L8, Canada
Tel: +1 780 966 6664

jeang167
1/13/20
As if the dealer, auction and outside of search area results weren't bad enough... We now have the stupidest rating system on the planet. It's ludicrous that kijiji now assumes that after 5 back and forth messages between a seller and a buyer that a deal has taken place. Low ballers can now reply back with 2 low ball offers and then have the ability to rate and punish the seller for not accepting their low ball offers. Terrible decision, at minimum 10 messages should be the threshold. This new system is being abused and I won't be using kijiji again until they revert of change the stupid rating system. Horrible site, who makes these ridiculous decisions? Also, none of the scam or duplicate posts are ever deleted by reporting them on the site, what a great feature.
oingob
1/8/20
Kijji used to be a site where people made informal transactions of low priced household items they no longer needed to recover a bit of the cost. Now it commercialized and is overrun with businessesthat have so many duplicate and "no longer relevant" (which is Kijiji's way of saying not available) ads which bury your listing(s) in some categories within minutes. Many of them misrepresent them as "owners" which is Kijiji's way of describing a orivate seller. Compounding this is Kijii's annoying persistent attempts to get you to pay for the privilege of temporarily moving your ad to the top of the dung heap and their ads that are constantly scrolling the screen so that you wind up selecting one of them by accident. They don't delete duplicate, expired, miscategorized or bogus ads despite their assurances. I find it laughable that anybody would pay unless they drastically improved the quality of the ads and clientele. Repost ads puts them at the top of the 'most recent" default search sort which annoying keeps reverting to when you change anything in the search. This creates numerous problems with Kijiji's site when thousands of ads are uploaded via automated process such as scripts typically on Friday evenings which can prevent you from uploading your ad(s). Since my ads contain a lot of content they are not as easy to repost as the one liner, one image ads that abound. They will however delete your ad quickly without even contacting you. I found this out when I posted a polar bear stuffed animal replete with make and model number, materials tag and measurements. I presume (since they never explained how it came to be) that one of their automated processes flagged and deleted my ad based on a keyword or an external Kijidiot decided that my ad was selling an item prohibited under the non-specific Illegal or Unauthorized Wildlife Products section despite the fact that it clearly was not made of such nor is Polar Bear Skin banned ( it is controlled) and reported it and another Kijidiot employed by them who failed to verify what the ad was selling. For a laugh check for Polar Bear Rug and you will find many of them for sale so I am not sure how they decided that a stuffed animal was prohibited but not rugs made from real polar bears. It took two appeals to find someone at Kijiji that had enough functioning grey matter to listen to my request to read the ad and look at the pictures and see that it was not a prohibited item. I took the ad down anyways as there was no assurance of more of the same. As a test I posted a prohibited warning type of ad which people sometimes post to let people know about a scammer and had it taken down very quickly, they clearly don't wan't it know that they are a scammer's best source of income. They no longer allow ticket resales due to their unwillingness to work with LE to act on specific scammers and since ticketmaster bans resales of many events it leaves no option to even cover your costs if you can't attend. I have reported thousands of ads based on their policy and have yet to so them act. I assume that they hate me for ensuring there is no way they can honestly have any statistics that say they are managing their content effectively from a customer perspective anyways. They also have numerous ads for prohibited items such as dangerous recalled products, counterfeit fashion items, , Radar detectors which are banned in the provinces they are listed in, items which are listed in multiple and or false locations, stolen items such as tools and bicycles which they don't require the serial number which would greatly lower the value of them to thieves and fences. I rarely buy as most ads lack accurate, relevant and or verifiable content and I don't have time to waste asking for information and or pictures about items that should have had it in the first plac or waiting to if I get a reply and ifit is if any use.. Most of the time I find the item is somehow damaged, (typically hidden and or not disclosed) older than what claimed, has more wear and tear, is dirty and missing parts. Kijiji allows ads which lack specifics such as tire and wheel specifics that are not really optional unless you are intending to use them for something other than their intended purpose. Despite the numerous problems I do manage to sell my items as I really have no alternative platform that allows me to remain anonymous which I insist on for safety and sanity. I have been purging for years and have over hundreds of transactions which take anywhere from 10-20 contacts per item before a suitable buyer is found and 5-30 message to get them to read the ad and show up to the meeting place. They typically start a conversation with the Kijiji provided nuisance message "Hi, is this still available?" I understand many sellers don't take down their ads and Kijiji doesn't remove them even when the seller states the item is sold and it is reported but one should assume the item is available. Illiterates really appreciate being able to be able to write in either English or French. The new owners (eBay ) have introduced new features such as a response time rating and reviews without any consideration and or protections from abuse so losers that have nothing better to do than message you when you are unavailable can lower your response time rating. Since they don't allow you to review someone without seven messages you have no option but to block them to prevent future damage. Creating another anonymous account can be done within minutes any many keep separateseller and buyer accountsdespite it being prohibited. . I found this out when I repeatedly blocked an aggressive haggler that would not respect my non-negotiable price and kept messaging me with a different account after I blocked them. I wound up selling it to them at full price. No surprise given their handle that they were the typical demographic which in my area are wealthy and this one was no exception driving a Mercedes Benz. Sellers are not able to block messages from any geographic location so rest assured you will get the inevitable message "Where are you located" despite that being in the ad after the person has been asking you other questions that the info is in the ad as well. Then they will tell you they are not nearby and not interested as a result and or better ask if you can deliver it for free or meet them somewhere close to them for a low value item.despite your ad saying you don't do that. I could go on for pages about the illiterate, ridiculous, sociopathic, dishonest, disrespectful and just dumber than dirt people that I have dealt with and blocked but I don't want to make this review my novel.

P.S. the image is a 17: wheel that Julie thinks is 18" because the face is about 17.5" Sadly not shown in the capture

Tip for consumers: Proceed with caution

kenm406
1/3/20
WOW, was looking for some use parts for my son's TJ and I cannot believe what happened to this site ... 90% of ads are from dealers! If I wanted to look for new parts I would call my local dealer or supplier.
Deleting my account and not wasting anymore time on this site.
me286
1/2/20
I've just had kijiji delete my account of 11 years. I used to buy and sell a fair bit on kijiji but in the past few years not much has come to a final transaction either way. It's full of ads and commercial listings that are not of interest and clog up my search results and selling has become way too long and arduous with everyone trying to haggle and not even show up when an agreement is reached. Their new ill-thought out review system is the last straw. It's so obviously subject to abuse. All you need is 7 back and forth messages and bang, both sides have the ability to leave a review. As with all online communication, a great number of people revert into immature bullies and will lie or say things that they would never have the nerve to in a face-to-face conversation. Kijiji provides the perfect forum for that in a review system that does not require a transaction actually happened, just 7 messages, and they wash their hands of any monitoring or correction of unfair or untrue reviews. This means everyone will eventually run into someone that will rate them unfairly, whether they are a buyer or seller. It's a shame. It was once a great way to buy and sell in Canada but they seem determined to kill it here like they did in the US.
andop
12/27/19
Fun site, quick loading times, a lot of terrible ads, and a few genuinely nice ones. Do you want a 2002 Range Rover for under $5,000? Not the place to look for one. It's a great site, I don't understand why people hate it. It's not that the business is corrupt, it's the people who post their ads that are. You must be seriously crazy like Meleene J.
The site is fine.

Tip for consumers: Here's a tip, avoid the sketchy ads.

brentr67
12/26/19
Kijiji used to be a great site to do business. Now it's mostly dealers and advertising. Nobody goes to Kijiji to buy from a dealer. Kijiji now sucks.I'm looking for an alternative.
annap318
12/4/19
#1: Site used to be full of legitimate buyers... now its a ghost town
#2: Search results are polluted with non-relevant ads from dealers
#3: Site has tanked since Ebay took over.
tamaraz9
11/2/19
Me and my husband has both companies. My husband has 1 kijiji account and I have 1 also. So, when we want to post his add from his account on kijiji is ok, but when i want to post my add on kijiji, it says there was an issue posting an add, pleasecontact the customer service. So i did, explain the problem and they are repeating that its just allowed to have 1 account per household???? Like come on... We trusted kijiji for many years, and now, they want money for everything-money grabbers!!! Please see also pics i attached.. I was asking for help and the agent just close the chat, seee 2nd picture when he see its me, he didnt even respond, just close and f*** u!!! What kind of service/help is that? So in my case.. i have to decide which add will i post and when... Im so mad right now and they dont care..
robm320
10/30/19
Ruined kijiji,destroying the site,need to stop all the advertising it's out of control and very annoying
valerieg116
10/22/19
Kijiji used to be great - now there are so many ads by dealers that I don't even bother looking for ads by owners anymore. It's just frustrating, and I can't use Kijiji anymore.
aminh7
10/12/19
We put yesterday an ad and paid listing fee and urgent ad fee which totalled to $50.74. I checked till 1:30 am in the morning. The ad couldn't be seen. I wasted approximately 2 hours for posting the ad and also wasted money in posting it. They have no email address or phone number by which customers can make a complaint. Kindly beware. This scam has been going on for the past 1 month.
debbieh370
10/1/19
DO NOT USE THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNPROFESSIONAL AND RUDE!!!!!!!!!! ALL ABOUT MONEY AND IS CHARGING $60.00 PER HOUR TAKING 4-5 STUDENTS AN HOUR!!!! HIS NAME IS ARVIND AND WORKS OUT OF ERIN MEADOWS LIBRARY.
jiomf
9/28/19
don't bother with Kijiji, you're getting 80% dealers. they started out good but now, you cant even filter them out, whats the use looking for a deal. Facebook marketplace is now better.
albertog81
9/2/19
We're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and my wife wanted a deck done. So we can celebrate it with our relatives and friends. I've hire a contractor to do our deck and told him that we need the deck done before our anniversary. He promised that he'll make us a nice deck so we can celebrate our anniversary there. The contractor's name goes by the name of Pat. He gave us a price and we agreed to do the whole deck. He asked for 2k to buy materials and start. After a week he asked for 2.5k. A week after he asked another 1k and he said that he'll 85% done. He then increased the price for 1k which is on top of the amount we agreed on. He threatened not to show up until I've given him more advanced money. He walked out before but came back because I've agreed to give him more money than we originally agreed.This contractor have given us so much stressed since he started. He's paranoid. I can't ask him question without being defensive. I asked him to do 1 part of the deck. He responded that he'll do the deck on his own time and terms. Last time he texted me. He threatened to not come back and finish the deck unless I give him the balance.
I told him to finish everything and I'll pay him once everything was done. He wanted the balance before finishing his job but the job was only 50% done and I've already paid him 95%.
He told us his name is Pat but his real name is Peco Naumoski, his cell no is *******665. We had to take photo of his car plate number after telling me he'll walk out if he doesn't get advance money. Our proof is on our email trails.
Now my deck is only about 50% finished and he got 95% paid. The whole job was bad. We're thinking of filing legal action.
Remember to beware of homeprorenos.com - owner is Peco Naumoski, cell no *******665.

Tip for consumers: Don't contact Home Pro Renos. He's a fraud

kamh7
8/31/19
They keep removing my ad for no reason and no explanation. Contacting them to find out is waste of time.
garys641
8/30/19
I listed a couple items on Kijiji, checked the prices on other used sites and adjusted to be decent deals. I choose to buy a booster and have my ad as the top Ad in it's field all went well and i sold my stuff...lol

Seriously though, the moment I added the booster (for $10) I got swamped with text messages from phishing scammers wanting me to ship my stuff to the US for their "Lovely daughter, son, goat lover, etc." two of which attempted to send me fake interac e-transfer notifications. Not a single genuine buyer. I notified the staff of this and they tried to blow smoke up my ass telling me i was "Doing the community a service by reporting these people!" and that i was "Finding Success on Kijiji!"

If you consider paying $10 to become the target of a phishing scam gang bang, sure i guess you could call that a success...or something. I told them i would take a refund instead, why pay money to them when i can just open my junk folder and strike up a conversation with the subhumans on the other end? they flat out refused, not really surprised. Glad it was only $10 i got screwed out of and not triple digits like some other poor bastards.
mikek461
8/19/19
KJ is a fraud for the end user. The best thing you can is never to buy from their advertisers and boycott the dirty businesses that advertise there. Don't be fooled and think that accounts are for safety or enhancing your experience. Its for tracking and selling your data to google, facebook, government. They make your experience as slow as possible and are purposely out to harm the end user for tracking dollars. This is why you always get that stupid do you still have it email so you are forced to log in and be tracked. Craigslist works just fine without accounts and the prices are much better and easy to browse. The further proof to the extent of the tracking features is evident when you try to protect yourself with noscript or adblock addons, they throw an error right away and reject your post, query, signup etc.. Boycott any site which uses google or google captcha services. This is not about bots as the user is led to believe but rather creating your own unique tracking ID based on your IP, browser, desktop.
karlg53
8/16/19
This site is now useless. I used to use it. Now it is just a crappy layout with no proper filters.
Ads that pop and won.t go away.
We need a new entry in the field.
waynew158
8/10/19
I paid 100 bucks for the promotion and it only attracted 200 views over 3 weeks. There were only 4 replies.
susanl577
8/7/19
Paid for top ads and never received them. Contacted Kijiji 3 time and never got a response. Will cancel and never use them again
laurad129
8/3/19
No one wants to purchase quality items... they want everything for free, total waste of time posting on this site
andrews645
7/20/19
Something goes wrong no matter what you do. After the first time writing a huge ad the ad failed to post so I wrote it again -.- The second time I wrote it, thankfully I copy and pasted to a document, I couldn't upload all my ten photos then it cleared my ad again! Three times the charm ? Wish me luck...
tammyh224
7/16/19
I use to use Kijiji for buying and selling. Now I find that there are way too many stores and dealerships on this site that was suppose to be for the average person trying to sell their old stuff. I dont use it anymore..check buy in sell marketplace in your area .
jeddc
7/14/19
If you are looking for ANYTHING, now kijiji puts ads for "new' and Dealerships before anything from users that are selling their own stuff. So if you want a particular item, be prepared to have to look through hundreds of new items from online stores or dealerships with the random item from a user or owner thrown in here and there. Its unbelievably ridiculous to use now. Where did all our options go? Oh right, Ebay bought it. So now we have to be spoon fed all the garbage. What a $hit site this is now. Such a shame.
ds504
6/29/19
KIjiji allows scammers to stay and rip people off. I was ripped off by a used car dealer in Tecumseh Ontario by the name of Mak Auto sales back in 2017. No more cars for me now because I drive an electric bicycle. Too many scammers online now so I don't see how people will be buying much from this website anymore.
3 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Internet vendors have no interest in people who can't afford to have a cellphone or connect over a personal IP address. Poverty sucks - you'd better get used to it. Only the govt can change change that, but don't hold your breath.

By Guy S.

When American companies take over they ruin everything!!

By Lois O.

Questions? Get answers from the Kijiji staff and other customers.

Kijiji?