InstantCheckmate reviews

donaldg131
2/25/19

2/3 of report inc curate a waist of money should be sued for false in accurate
reports.
Listed places ever been people i never meant phone numbers never used.

gils39
8/23/18

nothing works right,info is not accurate,they never answer their phone or call you back and the online cancel is a farce!ALL THEY WANT IS TO SCREW YOU OUT OF MONEY!! DO NOT USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lindae69
8/21/18

They posted a picture of a black woman as my sister and a some of the info was incorrect about her. I tried repeatedly to get them to take down the picture but they wouldn't do it. I researched at least 10 others on this site and there was so much info that was inaccurate. Almost all the info I already knew, so it wasn't worth the price to have ever used it. It was as if I was doing a title search on the property someone owned because they kept showing me previous owners of the property. I couldn't understand why they thought anyone wanted that info. I wouldn't recommend them or any other site like this one. Don't waste your money.

jaredl45
6/26/18

All of the info found here is public records. Don't pay these guys.Definitely would not recommend, try just Googling the person's name or searching state records.

chasel10
12/27/17

Total ripoff. You can get everything provided by Instant Checkmate for free through Google searches.

maxs107
12/9/17

I signed on looking for info about an old friend. Got no useful information. I did get daily spam popups. "What did Harriet Smith do?" "What is Harriet Smith doing?" "Find out the latest news on Harriet Smith," etc. (not the person's real name). Now I'm getting holiday spam pop-ups! "Find Harriet Smith for Christmas...." This site is GARBAGE!

carla575
9/4/17

It is totally Illegal to sell private information without someone's consent. File a complaint with the States Attorneys office located in the same State as a company H.Q.Thi is the only way we can shut these scams down. All of the scams you get by phone and email are because of these companies.There are laws on the books we just need to file those complaints to get them shut down for good.

maryd287
8/30/17

Month after month, they continued to charge my credit card, ignoring my requests to cancel their 'so-called' subscription! I've spent HOURS on the phone, with them and with my credit card company, to get them to CANCEL & GO AWAY!

I feel duped and hustled! They're like an infection that you just can't shake as them slink in and tap your credit card, month after month, making like it's MY fault because 'I subscribed' to their 'so-called' service!

Buyer BEWARE! I'll NEVER use this horrific company again! I'm a business owner and if I treated my customers like this, I wouldn't HAVE customers! This company doesn't deserve to be in business and I can't WAIT until they go under after hustling people again and again! No good ever comes of that sort of behavior!

youa2
8/19/17

After a half hour inputting info, the site finally admitted they charge a fee and you have to open an account. This is theft of time and then money. Thanks a lot

brianm290
7/13/17

Instructed by IC's customer service that I must go to "settings" and block their URL/email in all devices. -This will not help if these change because IC cannot remove my contact info for solicitations. CS ph# on hold 30min x3.

rakhil1
7/1/17

this boy is not a human being.i was just blind of him.thatswhy he has got chanch to cheat on me.he cant stay with one girl.he is the perverted person.so he's used to one after another one.on that reason asuasl he started abuse me ,ignored me as much as he can.but what i didnt do for him..he has forgot all.....this is my history in a shrort cut.how helpless i am that i dont have anything about him what i can say myself.i am looser so no rights to stay in this world.heve to go.you have got me now.if u feel for me a little bit please shiw me atleast let to know real nazmul

christya22
6/14/17

I am ALWAYS very careful to not select auto rebill options for services unless I like a company's service or product. I read the site and saw that there were 2 options. I chose the 1 time 1 month option. NO WHERE did it say (unless it was in such small print that I couldn't see it when I magnified the screen to 175% to check) auto renewal. But low and behold, a month later, I get a notice from paypal that my account was compromised and there is a charge again from instantcheckmate... I disputed the charge then went to the site to get the phone number. I called 10 times and spent over an hour and a half until I got some guy (who I will now call Mr. Idiot) who said I had to cancel the auto-renewal on my account and he would note the account so that when they got the dispute from paypal it would authorize a refund... Well.. no such happening. Paypal came back today and said "oh, you cancelled your subscription on xx date, so the charge was valid.. SCAM, Bait and switch..fraud!!!! Don't use them (the so called background check was CRAP, too, by the way.. The information that came through was mostly incorrect for myself and the wrong person for my hubby and had me connect to people as family members that I had never been related to! It was a total joke.

pc92
5/19/17

I've been receiving spam mail for the past 3 months from them and their affiliates. There is a clause in the privacy policy that allows them to spam you. HUNDRED of emails a week. HUNDREDS.

This type of business practice needs to be outlawed entirely.

mms6
5/19/17

In my opinion, they suck you into their program and encourage unwitting people into divulging personal information about the person we are seeking, and after helping them add a lot of free information in their data base, they compel us unwitting pawns the privilege of paying for their update to continue our search.

chuckd15
5/8/17

I needed to look up ONE ADDRESS of an old friend. I was sucked in by the "just $2.99" lie. Ok, I think I agreed to pay 19.99 for more information, then found that the "more information" had NOTHING in it that the "standard" service didn't have.Then somehow,I was tricked into a "3 month membership", even though I only needed to look up ONE ADDRESS.

When I saw the $83.43 charge on my Paypal statement, I immediately disputed the charge. What was their response? They completely shut down my account that they say I had paid $83 for, so that I could not even go back and figure out how the additional charges had happened. I guess they didn't want me to figure that out because I would have been able to verify just what a deceptive scam it was.

So I called customer service. She was rude and robotically read from a well-practiced script. She didn't offer ANY of resolution. She did not apologize for the "misunderstanding" or try to help me understand how it might have happen. So I asked what it would do to get my account reinstated.She told me I would have to register, using a different email address, and that I would be charged all of the fees again!! And it didn't matter if I cancelled the dispute with Paypal, they were determined to punish me, it wouldn't change anything. I could not reinstate my account. I could only get a new acct under a different username and pay all the fees AGAIN>

BTW, I did receive the ONE ADDRESS I was looking for, but instead of $2.99 amd a $1.99, they tricked me into running up a bill of <b>$126.44 !!!</b> and I got NOTHING else for the additional charges. It's odd that the sent me a receipt for the other transactions but no receipt for the $83. I would not have even known abut the $83 charge if Paypal hadn't notified me. Just another in the long line of deceptive practices they routinely engage in.

rosap16
4/27/17

Using the service once. Then cancled out online, I was still getting billed. I call there customer service line to speak to a supervisor to make sure it gets taken care of. First call while waiting for a supervisor I get hung up on. Second call is a 20 minute wait, finally a supervisor get's on the line and Mr.Rodney supposedly has taken care of thing's.

marh3
4/25/17

I know one of these days a smart lawyer sue this company. There are 1000s of complaints about this company.

johns1730
4/23/17

This just prompts you out of your money! Was looking for my cousin in Dallas Texas, but they tell me she live in Kansas. No.... we grew up there. All of the info report was on google and bing. they just charged me for nothing

marys481
4/19/17

This site never mentions the cost until you sit and click, click, click and click then wait, wait, wait and wait then it claims it your report but now you must PAY!!!!!!!!! TO HIGH OF A COST

marquism10
3/13/17

Most of InstantCheckmate information is available for free. That being said, alot of THAT information is outdated, error-ridden, or spotty. "Opting-out" gives consumers some advantage, but this company will put your name back on their "list," assuring at least 2 things: 1) the information presented (for money!) will be even MORE outdated, and 2) you will be plagued by companies fostering fear and suspicion, like InstantCheckmate, indefinitely unless you go "off the grid," a near impossibility--and why SHOULD you? I believe this type of site was started with good intentions, but competition, and the sheer cost of keeping current, accurate records, while maintaining that privacy we all cherish (right?), is just too much for InstantCheckmate. Think about it--what kind of people work in these settings? People who CARE if the information is accurate, current, and non-damaging? Better to find answers yourself, which are readily available online, FOR FREE. Or even better, if you're that worried, concerned, or--forgive me--anal about the person/people you want to "background check," maybe you should eliminate them from your life...? Just a thought.

shayev
2/12/17

I decided it would be fun and interesting to do a background check on myself. What A Waste Of Money! They had my birth month wrong, They had an address listed that I have never lived at or even heard of. The person in the picture they said was me definitely was not. I don't even know who that person was! There were other bits of false information listed. Even though I had just paid for the report, I found out I would have to pay further monies for the "good stuff". What is that even suppose to mean? I cancelled the service immediately and in disgust. I would NEVER recommend wasting money on this site!

charlesp72
2/2/17

I HAVE CONTACTED THIS COMPANY SEVERAL TIMES TO HAVE THEM TAKE ME OFF THEIR MAILING LIST AND THEY REFUSE. THEY WILL SEND YOU (LITERALLY) 100 SPAM EMAILS A DAY.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THE AMOUNT OF PHONY POSITIVE REVIEWS THAT EXIST FOR THIS SHAM OUT ON THE INTERNET

cmc6
1/25/17

I read a number of negative reviews so I checked them out before signing up. I had read it was hard to cancel, so I called their 800 number to see how long it took to get connected to an agent. They have a call-back option and I got my return call within about five minutes. So it was a GO and I signed up. Also heard it was impossible to cancel online, but that simply wasn't true as of 2017 anyway.

I was looking for information about a known criminal, though, and they came back with absolutely nothing. Also looked up my late ex-husband and he doesn't exist anywhere in their system. Looked up a few other family members and the information was reasonable on some, lacking on some and excellent on some. And my mother was devastated to learn she was deceased! So, a mixed bag.

I used their option and paid for the premium report on one person. I felt it was worth the extra $19.99.

On the con side, though, they pad the report with gillions of pages of sex offenders CURRENTLY around PREVIOUS addresses like it is meaningful information, and also includes horoscopes. How ridiculous!

And it is a little tricky to tell what you're getting for free and what you have to pay for until you get the hang of it. I was a little wary of clicking on things because I was afraid I would be charged extra. But I got the hang of it. And they have an add-on of $3.00 if you want to download your results. Odd. But I certainly did get my money's worth.

Here's a hint. When I tried them, I paid $1.00 for five days with a $30 monthly renewal afterward. When I wasn't getting enough information I was looking for, I cancelled (easy to do online). They offered me a $10 monthly renewal rate which is a GREAT DEAL!

Tip for consumers: See the review: If you try to cancel the $1 trial, they'll offer you 66% off the monthly subscription to stay.

lees153
1/13/17

you keep taking money from my account and I quit using you over one year ago stop taking my money

patriciam162
1/3/17

I discovered that the one month I signed up for turned into 35 months..did not realize it until they sent me an email in the 34th month saying I would be charged... A total scam! When I called they offered refunds starting with 4 months worth and gradually got up to offering one years worth refund but only after I told them I was taking it up with the credit card company. I wanted all but 2 months back and would not agree to the third of the $ I spent. My credit card company is doing a fraud investigation. Stay away from this company of thieves! I thought I spent less than $23.00 for a month and ended up being slowly drained of over $800.00! It just makes me sick....

No,you can't see anyone's call log or texts. At first it was 1.98 to receive access to the report . Then once I paid the 1.98 I selected "access report" (again) then I was promoted to select a membership Lowest being 22$ . Most options tell you that you're paying that amount the same day but the cheapest membership didn't say you would be paying the same day but you are. So roughly 24$ to see what you could've found on Google. When you get to the phone log part it says "you're stuck" or some bull crap probably pay more money which is unreal as you have selected a membership already. This is a rip off there's just now around it smh

By MOneek B.

Absolutely not worth the money they give you incomplete answers and keep charging you for additional answers. Incorrect &/or incomplete reports. Stay far away!

By Kathy B.

Contact your credit card company, tell them that InstantCheckmate is making unauthorized charges to your card; have your credit card company cancel your card and issue you a new one. I know, it sucks. That's what I had to do. For several months I got "declined payment" indicators listed in my online credit statement, which was good, because InstantCheckmate couldn't get their fraudulent charge to go through. The police, the FBI, or FTC or somebody needs to crack down on InstantCheckmate. I guess maybe it'll take a class action lawsuit against them. But really, the wisest thing to do is to cancel your credit card, have a new one issued -- and be extremely cautious and careful from now on to whom and where you use and give your credit card number. I know, it's a pain in the a##! Good luck. Cheers.

By Jeffrey W.

Appears to be feedback manipulation on consumeraffairs.com to me. Notice all of the replies from Instant Checkmate. They had no current or correct info for me other than my childrens names, which I can find easily anyplace.

By Faith M.

I recommend watching your credit card statement for additional charges for a few months. This company is notorious for not cancelling accounts.

By P G.

How can you get instant checkmate for free? Don't sign up. Ask a friend all the questions you want answered. When that friend can't come up with the answers...you've just duplicated the checkmate experience without shelling out one single buck. You can then take the money you've saved and take your friend out for a drink. Win-win.

By Bo H.

By Shirley T.

Call your credit card company and dispute the sale as goods ordered but not delivered. Explain what happened and they will remove the charge from your account. But hurry, you only have 30 days.

By James L.

It appears that Consumer Affairs is manipulated. Also check WOT reviews. I think Consumer Affairs is paid by businesses getting bad reviews. Instant checkmate is a HORRIBLE company. Class action lawsuits to follow I am sure.

By Greg P.

Past May, tried to find years-ago friend. My initial Googling got me to these folks. Used them -- I thought, ONE search only. Gave CC info, but got meager -- no, ZERO -- results, so forgot about it. Obviously, this part's on me: received CC billing past 4 months without noticing their "one time" charge was repeated each month. Probably would have continued this, had they not e-notified me last night that the 'automatic payment for your Instant Checkmate subscription is coming up.' Took 45 minutes time (mostly waiting to be 'next customer served') to get necessary information to go to ICM's site where, thankfully, cancellation was much easier than my 10-years-ago ordeal dropping the 3 movie channels that 'automatically' came with my DishNet subscription.

By Scott S.
Questions? Get answers from the InstantCheckmate staff and other customers.

InstantCheckmate?