Employment Development Department

Employment Development Department

Employment Development Department has a consumer rating of 1.57 stars from 7 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Employment Development Department ranks 85th among Government sites.

How would you rate Employment Development Department?

“We Need to Change the Judicial System and the Way We Try to Resolve Problems”

Martin O.
7/15/16

Its hard to believe that the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) does not protect people with disabilities from having their state disability checks garnished by the California Employment Development Department (EDD)--a federal agency whose purpose is to help people in times of needwhile EDD cases are in appeal. Isnt that what the ADA is supposed to be doing? Either the ADA is an effective federal law whose purpose is to protect people with disabilities from having their wages garnished when there is significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of the individual employee with a disability, or it is not. It cant be both. Unfortunately, I became temporarily disabled following surgery to repair my right rotator cuff (where 3 out of 4 muscles had been torn). Simultaneously, while recovering from surgery, I have been in a dispute with California EDD over its claim that I was overpaid benefits during several months back in 2013, when I filed for partial unemployment. The case is in the appeals process with issues to be decided in an upcoming appeals hearing. Because California state disability insurance (SDI) is under the umbrella of EDD, a federal agency, EDD can garnish state disability insurance payments to reimburse any EDD overpayment amounts, even though the two situations are completely different. But, it is my understanding that EDD cannot garnish state disability insurance payments until final judgment of an appeal has been determined. Yet, that is exactly what happened. Without any warning or advanced notification, EDD garnished my state disability check to reimburse an old EDD overpayment claim (from back in 2013), even though the case is in appeal and there has been no final judgment on the appeal. Im not sure if the EDD Overpayment department superseded a judges decision in order to garnish my state disability check, or if the administrative law judge gave EDD the approval to begin garnishing the check before a hearing was ever held. This would mean that the judges decision was predetermined. Regardless, without a hearing and final judgment, either the judge or the EDD Overpayment department determined that I am at fault and that I was overpaid benefits. Either the judge or the EDD Overpayment department decided on the amount of overpayment that is due, and that amount of overpayment has been stated on several documents I have received. Most importantly, either the judge or the EDD Overpayment department--knowing full well that I am receiving state disability as my means of incomedetermined that, without any income, repayment would not cause me extraordinary financial hardship, so EDD has been garnishing my disability checks. (Its no wonder we have so many homeless veterans living on the streets.) Either issues about benefits and overpayment are issues to be considered once all of the facts have been researched, as indicated in an appeals Notice of Hearing, or they are not. It cant be both. It appears as though the EDD judicial system creates one rule, and then creates another that completely conflicts with the first rule so that it can pick and choose which rule it wants to impose in order to get the desired result, all the while exploiting civil rights. This is typical of the corruption that permeates our entire judicial system, where judgment is passed before all of the facts have been researched. And, because EDD has been garnishing my state disability checks, it has left me with no income to pay for rent, basic necessities, utilities, medical insurance or physical therapy. I have been threatened with eviction. And, because my physical therapy has been interrupted due to lack of proper treatment, my overall recovery has been affected. How can such an inhumane act be allowed to take precedent in a civilized country? I have made some headway, though. Only after a lot of time, money and energy had been spent going through the system was I finally told by a SDI representative what I SHOULD have been told by EDD in the first placethat while my case was in appeal without final judgment, EDD should not have garnished my disability check. So, SDI covered for EDDs mistake and reimbursed me 50% of the money I was due, even though nothing should have been garnished in the first place. (This is how the judicial system makes money.) Actually, in compliance with Title I of the ADA, EDD should not be garnishing SDI benefits at all, period, in order to reimburse EDD overpayment amounts--regardless if a case is in appeal or not--especially when a medical certification form is on file with the ADA and there is significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of the individual employee with a disability. Isnt that the purpose of the ADA? Can an EDD Overpayment department simply supersede a judges decision in order to garnish a state disability check, as if the judges opinion doesnt count? Can an administrative law judge give EDD the approval to garnish a disability check before a hearing is ever held? This would mean that a biased judge has made a decision before all of the facts have been researched. Why bother to conduct or attend a hearing? Is the ADA so powerless that it cannot stop people with disabilities from being discriminated against and having their wages garnished by judges and federal employees whose salaries are being funded by the very taxpayers who are being discriminated against? The judicial system needs to be changed, so that a biased judge does not pass judgment before all of the facts have been researched. And, the Americans With Disabilities Act must be strengthened so that, in compliance to Title I of the ADA, accommodations are made (i. E., wages are not garnished) for people with disabilities when there is significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of the individual employee with a disability. Help me continue to fight for civil rights. Any amount will be greatly appreciated. I can receive funds whether a final goal has been reached or not. Go to: https://www.youcaring.com/martin-osborne-601698

“Bad Benefits Program Ever”

Blake P.
3/20/21

The EDD site has a terrible and confusing layout. The design is complicated and messy as filing new claims are. The customer service representatives are extremely rude and prejudice. They will cut you off if you need something from them by which you are forced to call them when your account has problems. At the login page, the site has no features ever. It won't show your status about your benefits and service.

blakep63
March 20th, 2021

veronicap152
April 6th, 2021

EDD is horrible and such a freaking joke! They have more than five telephone numbers and all of them will either hang up on you or lead you to another number that will eventually hang up on you, or will simply not respond to your specific needs, and then hang up on you. Think you're going to get a live person in that case? Absolutely not! What you will get is hung up on after waiting close to an hour or more. There is no way that since covid, they have not been able to catch up at all. What have they been doing?! They are working from home remotely thus we can't go into an actual location. But, if you have any real questions and need real answers, you cannot get a live person over the phone nor via online chat to remedy your issues. What are they doing with the money that they're getting during covid?. Clearly, absolutely nothing! They should be shut down and let some other entity take over and do the work to get the job done! This is very frustrating and California really needs to get their act together! Big time LOSERS!

Tip for consumers:
EDD sucks!!! Very inefficient!!!

rar18
May 5th, 2021

Clearly, waiting over a MONTH for my last EDD payment is cause for a phone call to EDD. I've heard all of the rumors about their incompetence, and they are all true.

Pray hard.

martino96
July 15th, 2016

Go to: https://www.youcaring.com/martin-osborne-601698

quineshar2
November 10th, 2020

Edd is no good especially durning this time, they took my unemployment because you have idiots out here defrauding the system but it's people bloke me who genuinely need the unemployment and now it has been taken from me, I had verify myself because if these idiot ass mfs doing what they did, I can't afford my rent or bills at this time because if the pandemic but here come evil leaving me In a position to where idk if I we I'll even have a place to live but these edd people don't give a crap about that. What are we supposed to do? Mfs can take are money but have no intent on replacing it or none of that, them mfs have no worries Abit there bills or rent so they don't care, thanks alot $#*!ty ass unemployment people. You are going a real $#*!ty job of making sure people get there money, instead you sorry pieces of $#*! are going around taking people money than telling people you are $#*!ing sorry and to hold on. Yeah ok, hold on huh. That's a good 1

jamest1628
February 28th, 2021

Today 02/28/2021 I started my day with a hit cup of coffee and begain my time consuming endeavor with the California EDD phone line (*******636) which claims to be open from 8am-8pm my irst attempt was at 7:59 ecactly after listening to the prompts whuch took around 1 1/2 minutes i was told they were closed. I then called back and gof diconected after about the same time using different prompts. On the third try i got througj to an operator but was told i needed to be transferred to someone else and that the wait time soukd be thirty minutes. So i waited... And waitied some mire and after about dour hours and thirty minutes i took a video of me waiting... And then the phone hung up. Im so let down by the ststem thats currently in place. See attached media.

Tip for consumers:
Put your phone on the charger and out of direct sun light Youre goning to be in for a long wait.

jonathanl25
November 1st, 2018

This site and phone number is the most conveluted system ever. Its extremely hard to get someone on the phone and get a responce back. They work hard not to communicate or talk to people. Listening to long prompts and looping constantly on the site.

Questions? Get answers from the Employment Development Department staff and other customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Employment Development Department?

Have a question about Employment Development Department?