US Geological Survey

US Geological Survey has a consumer rating of 5 stars from 2 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. US Geological Survey ranks 85th among Government sites.

How would you rate US Geological Survey?

“Geology is quite interesting”

Ragon D.
2/6/22

Well, sometimes I'm bored on weekends and it's a common business to do nothing actually for me. But, recently, I have noticed this website and understood that geology is pretty interesting for me. I started to explore various geological sources in order to obtain information about vital changes in geology, maybe some new discoveries and so o nso forth. This source helped me to understand main issues of modern geology and how geologists struggle serious global issues. I think that this website helped me to reveal my lurked potential actually. Big thanks to this governmental source of information.

ragond
February 6th, 2022

keythr
1,006 helpful votes
March 11th, 2011

United States Geological Survey - Geological, Earthquake and Tsunami Info

Just hearing about 8.8 Richter Scale quake off Japan. Very serious. I checked out the very good United States Geological Survey website http://www.usgs.gov/ for hard information.

A 10m / 30ft tsunami is hitting the Pacific coast the whole of the Pacific region may be hit. From news reports and shocking helicopter coverage, a wall of water and debris is hitting the Japanese coast.

At the moment fatality estimates are just 20 from the feeds coming in I would be very surprised if the final toll is not much, much, much higher. This is the worst quake / tsunami to hit the region for more than 100 years.

Japan is fairly well prepared and has good rescue infrastructure Indonesia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea etc have little preparation and much poorer communications and support.

The USGS has a very good website about all things geological USA and world.
It has current world seismic / quake information go to:

This shows seismic activity all around the world (non-geologists may be surprised at all the activity)

For more detail on the Japanese quake and tsunami see:

I am hoping that this will not hit anything like the severity of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami, which killed over 200,000 people in the region Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka. Awful.

Why does usgs frequently downplay or erase earthquakes? today they erased a 7.2 in georgia! can usgs please explain themselves?

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the US Geological Survey staff and other customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Geological Survey?

Have a question about US Geological Survey?