Review of DickBlick

Tel: 1-800-828-4548
orders@dickblick.com

robertm1526
7/15/19

For eleven day now, I've been trying to post a negative review of the Blair pastel fixative that I bought from Blick's, that ruined several drawings. Each time I click "post review" a flag appears that says an error has occurred and to try again later. I wonder if I'd have the same problem if I were posting a positive review. Just a question but I know what I think.

candyl35
7/9/19

I have been a Blick customer for years, but lately I avoid them if at all possible. Between their slow processing time (2 - 3 days) and terrible shipping (FedEx DumbPost) service, I've pretty much had it with them. I live in Florida and it takes, on average, 9 days to receive my order. Sure I could spend another $3 on the "upgraded" shipping, but even then my order doesn't arrive in a timely manner.

On top of that, when you check out, your cart says that your items are "in stock and reserved" This is a load of bs. I ordered 2 of one item and am only being shipped one despite the "in stock" message.
I prefer Jerry's Artarama, but sadly they do not carry some of the things I need. I suppose I will continue to deal with Blick's lousy shipping and processing time whenever I need specific things

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Hello Candy,

Thank you your orders, and for this feedback. We are very concerned to hear about this, however we are always glad to know when there are issues so we can fix them. Unfortunately, we are having trouble finding the orders that you are describing. We were able to locate only one account for you; we checked through the orders on that account back to 2017 and found that except for the most recent order, all of your orders were packed and shipped out the same day that the order was placed, and tracking records show them as delivered within 3 business days. Regarding your most recent order placed on July 4, we do apologize for the delay that resulted from the holiday, as we are closed on most major holidays to allow our associates to spend the time with their families. Additionally, though you received free shipping on all of the orders we checked, you had elected to add the $3 upgrade to FedEx Home delivery to all but this most recent order, which did increase the expected delivery time for this order by a couple of days versus without the upgrade.

Also, we were not able to find any back orders on any of these recent orders. If you are missing items from any of your orders, please contact us immediately so we can reship or refund them. While we hope this never occurs, it can occasionally and we are always happy for the opportunity to make it right.

If you have another account that we did not see with orders that you have experienced delays or other issues on, please let me know so I can investigate further. Thank you again- we want our customers to have the best possible experience when ordering with us, so always appreciate being made aware of any issues you may encounter!
natashaj33
5/21/19

Excellent customer service and fast shipping. Ordering and paying is easy. Great selection of material, excellent sale prices and speedy delivery. I have ordered several time from Blick Art and will continue to do so in the future.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Natasha, thank you! We are very happy to hear that our selection and service has met or exceeded your expectations. We hope to continue providing you with the best of both in the future!
sukc
2/15/19

I placed an order two days ago, and I found out that they haven't shipped the items yet. I see this as pure laziness or a very bad business conduct.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you for the feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the speed at which your order processed. The order shipping terms are clearly stated on our website ; non-expedited residential orders such as yours will ship within 1–2 business days of receipt of your order and will be delivered within 2–7 business days. If you would like to receive your order more quickly than that, in most cases there is the option to select an expedited shipping method during checkout.

I would like to add that the Midwest, where we are located, has been experiencing a number of historic weather events during this time period which has also impacted the fulfillment and shipping speed of orders by a day or two on several occasions this year. While these delays were unavoidable, they are also very rare.

We don’t want you to be disappointed with this order though, so have upgraded it to FedEx Home delivery which should reduce the transit time and get your order to you sooner.

Thank you for your order, we appreciate your business!
steveh777
1/31/19

I'm a budding artist and have bought a some stationery and now some painting supplies, some big names and some Blick brands. I am not disappointed, it's nice buying some small things for less than a buck a pop. 1oz cups? I don't need two dozen of them Amazon, I just want one! Haha! Prices are good, too, didn't need to spend an arm and a leg for just a buncha 6B pencils.

Along with those pencils, I purchased a dip pen, ink, some gouache, brushes, some sketchbooks, etc, and they all shipped just fine. I must admit, shipping is sluggish, but I am very patient. It's nice to come home to a cute box with everything I ordered, packaged with care.

I noticed how much they get bashed with bad, grumpy reviews (rarely positive,) I thought I could chip in my good experience.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you for the 5 star review, Steve. It's been our pleasure and we hope to provide you a lot more of those cute boxes in the future!
paulv147
11/23/18

I have an 8 year history of frequent orders with DickBlick. Best service, huge inventory and BY FAR the best prices. Most Canadian art stores are so bad that I have no choice but to order from DickBlick. And I pay the 100$ Fed Ex happily because it is still way cheaper than doing a Canadian order. For example, the awful Prismacolor Premier pencil sets cost 3 times more almost everywhere else.Frankly, there is no close second and I would be stunned to hear of professional artists ordering from anyone else.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you so much for the great review! We appreciate your business and hope to serve you again.
elizabeths467
11/9/18

I usually don't have trouble with Blick. Choice of supplies is very good and while they lack in some areas, they are still better than most art supply chains. However, their customer service leaves something to be desired. Recently I purchased a VanDyke Brown from Utrecht. These are supposed to be artist-grade oil paints. Generally, I'm pretty happy with Utrecht, but this paint was sub-par. VanDyke Brown should be almost black and this was low on pigment. When I complained, I was told I would need to return the item at my own expense since it was "not defective." I've spent literally thousands of dollars at Blick over the years and responses like this make me feel like I am not valued as a customer. I would have appreciated having the value of the paint applied toward a better brand. I was also working towards a tight deadline, which I mentioned in my email and which CS ignored completely. Makes me wish Amazon carried more art supplies as they generally treat me with much more respect as a customer, even though I spend far less money there. I've started searching for alternate venues to purchase my art supplies. Happily I found that Masterpiece carries a much more extensive range of canvases on their own site than Blick does on theirs. Not with the discounts that Blick offers at times, but it might be worth it to get away from the headaches of dealing with Blick customer service.

This is not the first time I've had an issue like this. I purchased a varnish that damaged a painting. I felt as if CS treated me as if I was stupid and knew nothing about varnishing paintings. They then charged the wrong debit card and created and overdraft issue with my bank. (They didn't bother to ask me before charging or tell me they were going to charge me for a replacement varnish.)

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
We are very sorry to hear that you had a less than stellar experience with your last order and would like to rectify that with you. Our Contact Center Director will be in touch with you very soon, if they haven’t already contacted you.
susanw455
9/18/18

I have been using Blick for several years now. I teach high school art and their prices and products have always been wonderful. I spend around $1000 each order.
My last order was back in August 2018. Due to my order being large, my shipment was delivered by an outside delivery truck. I was going to be charged a large amount extra to have the items carried off the truck and into our school office.
I do not have extra money in my account for such a fee and honestly feel I shouldn't be asked to pay an extra fee. Some of my students had to go outside and unload the items from the truck. I was extremely disappointed in this new system and so was our front office. Amazon or any other place that I have purchased items from deliver it to my door no questions or extra fees included.
I might could understand a bit more if my boxes were oversize and such but they were just normal size boxes. I just had several.
As sad as it makes me, I will have to find a new supplier if this is the new delivery system. My students should not have to do the work of the delivery truck driver and I should not have to pay so much more for him to bring them inside the building.
Very disappointing!!
Susan L

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Dear Susan W:

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are sorry to hear that the delivery options provided and the fees associated with the delivery were not ideal for you.

We would like to address this issue with you personally. Please look for a private message from us shortly.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Blick Art Materials
californial1
8/25/18

I use this site as a supplier monthly. Shipments have always been timely and well packaged. The supplies I receive have always been quality materials. On occasion there will be an issue with an order. I have received prompt, quick service and resolution. Because of their strong customer service, Blick has become my main supplier. I highly recommend them.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you very much for the five star review! We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.
laurag294
7/31/18

I have been ordering from Blick for a few years. When they made a mistake in my order they quickly showed their true colors as a company. Their "customer care" deptartment is nonexistent, unhelpful, and actually rude. So, the result is losing a customer, poor reviews, and spreading their poor business practice across the artist community by word of mouth. Very unfortunate that they made the choice to treat their cutomers in this manner when we have so many other online stores to choose from.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you for the honest feedback. We are very sorry that the issue with your order was not addresses promptly and to your satisfaction. We do hope we can provide better service to you in the future. Please look for a private message from us. Again, we are very sorry for the missed opportunity to serve you.
robertl324
1,162 helpful votes
3/5/18

I've used DickBlick several times in the past, but quit them mainly because their prices were higher than anyone except Grumbacher. I never had any complaint against the quality, but there's nothing unusual in that. No matter where you go it's buyer beware. It's just that the prices for what They call the highest quality are purely through the roof! A one inch kolinski sable brush for $600 ?? I don't think so. Not out of My pocketbook.

So I've been shopping elsewhere for years now, and altogether figure I've saved over blick several thousand dollars by doing so.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Hello Robert,

Thank you for your comments however we have to admit to being confused. Blick is very competitive with pricing and will meet or beat our competitors pricing most of the time.

While we do offer some “luxury priced” products, pricing for those is still on par with other retails who offer that same item. In many cases, we can suggest similar products that we offer at a price that may be within your budget. Our Product Information team is happy to help with that. You can get in touch with them by calling 1-800-933-2542 weekdays 8am-530pm CST or emailing info@$#*!blick.com.
beauf6
12/16/17

D. Blick is a business run by people so before writing off mistakes or discrepancies, it's important to note that it can happen. Human error occurs. Having said that I've had both good and bad experiences with receiving orders. Damaged wood panels or long waits for items ordered. 100 % of the time D. Blick assumed responsibility, apologized and was helpful in fixing the problem. The way they handled these instances shows more character than the slip up, delay or faulty product. 90% of my experiences ordering from this website have been the kind where you don't need to think about it and just start using the materials immediately in the art studio. The 10% that ended with an email to customer service were always supportive and I end up walking away feeling 100% satisfied with choosing D. Blick over other websites. So thank you!

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you so much for the kind words! While we strive for 100% accuracy, we truly do appreciate the opportunity to correct any mistakes that do happen to occur. Your feedback, good or bad, is always welcome and helps us know where improvements can be made. Thank you for your business and we hope to continue to provide you with great service in the future.
jeffh181
12/7/17
• Updated review

I received a full refund of my shipping charges and an apology from D. Blick regarding my experience in the review below.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for the updated rating. While 100% satisfaction is always our goal from the start, sometimes we do fall short unfortunately. We really appreciate being given a chance to make things right if that is the case, and hope that you will consider us again in the future for your art material needs.
“D. Blick warehouse staff drops the ball often.”
12/7/17
• Previous review

I ordered around $450 worth of acrylic paints and gel mediums for a commission with a deadline. I ordered in plenty of time to accomplish the work. My order arrived with only half of the items inside (yes, literally I was missing 12 of the products In my order). I paid $75 for overnight shipping to get a head-start on my project timeline (the shipping on a large order like mine would have been free otherwise). Of course that $75 was wasted because I could not begin to paint until I had my entire order. I called DB customer service and was told "I'm not sure why that happened". While the agents I spoke with were very professional and polite (Treyana and Sherry), the last agent who actually corrected the error (Mark) and got the rest of my shipment on its way was very curt and a dismissive of me asking (I had to ask twice) for some type of refund due to the money wasted on the overnight shipping. He gave me a $20 off coupon for a future purchase, albeit in a rather ungracious tone. I also had to ask D. Blick agent Mark for his name 4 times until he finally told me. I received the rest of my order around 4 days later. I called back one more time and spoke with D. Blick agent Amber. She was very apologetic and said she would give me a $25 credit back to my credit card. Better than nothing, I suppose. Still, not a good experience due to missing my project deadline and DB agent Mark's curt and unsympathetic attitude. I'll think twice about ordering from D. Blick next go-round if time and accuracy are key to my project's success. I am giving D. Blick 2 stars in this review due to this debacle causing my own business the embarrassment of seeming unreliable.
On another project a month earlier, I ordered a cradled wood substrate (a hardboard panel 30" x 40" x 1.5" deep). It arrived in a timely manner but was dented on one side and warped. When I placed it on a level surface, it rocked. I also placed a 4 ft level across it to double check if the warp was bad enough that I could not use it. It cupped in the center and was definitely higher on the ends. This was D. Blick's own line of hardboard substrates. It should be a completely flat panel, so I returned it to them. The agent was very nice and made the return easy. However, this is not the first time I've ordered something from D. Blick and had problems of some sort. I'm very quickly losing faith in their warehouse staff.

UPDATE: I was contacted by D. Blick (as you can see below). I did receive a full refund for my shipping debacle. I expressed in a private message to them my concerns about the warehouse staff being more careful all-around (making sure substrates are not warped, that all items are accounted for before taping up boxes for shipping.) I was impressed with this part of D.Blick's customer resolution, however all of this could have been avoided in the warehouse if awareness levels were raised there. Hopefully this experience will help that happen.

Tip for consumers: Check your order right when you receive it. Make sure all items are there and if you ordered canvases or other substrates, make sure they are not warped or dented.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry for the frustrations all around – the incomplete order and the lack of assistance from our phone reps.

Please know we take these reports very seriously.

Please look for a private response from me shortly.

Again, I apologize for all the inconvenience and frustrations!

-Kristina
Blick Art Materials
garthg7
9/14/17

I have used Blick for years, probably spent $1000. Today, I attempted to add an item to my order and the representative was rude and unhelpful. I am done with Blick. Edit: 9/26/17 I would have felt a lot better if anyone from Blick bothered to ask me what happened. Instead, they just posted a canned "sorry, not sorry" response. Jerry's Artarama has better deals and treated me a lot better.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
We're very sorry that you came away with a poor opinion of your experience. We did not intend to appear unhelpful, and are sorry that the circumstances did not allow for us to do what you asked. We try to fill orders as quickly as possible, which means that the window for adding additional items to an order after it’s been placed is usually very small. And when it is possible to add items to an existing order, there are guidelines in place regarding payment for the add on items that, for security reasons, are unfortunately inflexible. Again, we apologize that you were not satisfied with the service on this order, and we hope that you’ll give us another chance at another time.
davej83
7/27/17

I received my order and was missing one item despite it being on the packing list, but my email to customer service was replied to in a timely manner and they are sending me my final item now! I was happy with the products I did receive.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Hi Dave,

Thank you for feedback! We strive for 100% accuracy when filling orders but occasionally fall short. When that happens we apologize for it and try to rectify the situation as quickly and satisfactorily as possible. Thank you again for your review, and we appreciate your business!
robertav4
7/10/17

Made my first purchase on their website after reading recommendations from other artists. Got a set of their acrylic paint for my upcoming painting classes. Signed up for their email list and received a welcome email with 10% off which I couldn't use because according to customer service the paint set was excluded from the discount offer. Less than twelve hours later I received an email advertising free shipping for order s of $25 or more. Since my order was not shipped yet I called and asked if I could get a credit for the shipping fee or if the fee could be waived. I was told that wouldn't be possible that gen though the merchandise was not shipped yet. It didn't make any sense to me and if I could cancel my order I would. And also as a first customer I hoped for a more accommodating store. Too many other options of crafting stores for me to buy supplies from. Too bad for them because they just lost a customer that would be repurchasing their paint and other supplies since I am just etartijg to learn to paint and I am in neeed of all types of supplies and would be loyal to this company if they showed they appreciate my business. But since they act like they don't need ne customers I will spend my money somewhere else.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Hello Roberta,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your first order with Blick Art Materials. We are sorry that the offers to your inquires were not more customer friendly. We will be in contact you directly via email. We do value you as a customer and hope we can find a satisfactory solution. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.
logans39
4/4/17

I ordered a vice to assemble picture frames and I was hesitant to order from this website because it looks a little sketchy. Against my better judgement I went ahead and placed my order after really analyzing the whole listing for this tool. I saw that there were two things had almost identical names. One was out of stock and one was in stock. The one in stock happened to be cheaper. I was a little skeptical about this, but All of the pictures showed the whole tool, the descriptions were identical, everything matched. I was sure that I was getting the right thing. When it arrived, I was very disappointed to see that only a small part of the tool was shipped. I went back to their website to double check, and sure enough, it shows the whole tool and describes the whole tool. I called customer service and was told that even though it shows that picture and describes it that way, it's not what you get. If I wanted the whole tool, I'd have to buy the other out of stock part for $100. Don't trust the pictures or descriptions on this website.

UPDATE (4/24/17): They still haven't updated the listing to reflect the actual pictures or description of the product as they said they would.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Hi Logan,

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention! I found out that our Customer Care team has already been working on this for you. They have sent a prepaid return label, issued a full refund and will also be sending you a Valued Customer coupon as a token of apology.

We did find that the product page was incomplete. While you did purchase and receive the Joiner Vise, it sounds like what you really wanted was the Framing Joiner. Both the Framing Joiner and the accessory Joiner Vise are sold on the same page however the only description and images on the page was for the Framing Joiner and the V nails , and the image and description for the vise was completely absent from the page. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this caused for you. Our web team is currently working on obtaining the missing information and will be updating that page as quickly as possible.

We are proud to say that we provide more information about the products we sell on our webpages than most other retailers, including downloadable MSDS sheets, pigment info and swatches for paints, videos, specs, assembly or instructional pdfs, and any other available information we can find. We do try to ensure that all of our product pages are as complete and accurate as possible, but sometimes we fall short. When that happens we do apologize and appreciate your help in identifying those error or omissions.

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope you will give us another try!
thereses16
3/14/17

I ordered a selection of black light paints and a large container of gesso from DickBlick last month. When the package arrived, I was disappointed to find that the black light acrylics were very transparent, requiring coat after coat to render the color somewhat opaque, but not quite. The gesso, however, was wonderful. I called customer service and was told that they would not refund my money, even though I had used very little of the product. I looked through the packaging and found the return slip which I filled out, along with my complaint, and sent the black light acrylics back to them, shipping at my expense, in hopes they would give me somewhat of a refund. It's been three weeks, and I have not heard a peep.
Just a few days after writing this review, I was contacted by a DB rep who was extremely helpful in procuring a full refund. She apologized for the horrendous treatment I received and even mailed me a $15 credit for the next purchase I make with DB. Ok, I accept their apology, and will definitely give them another shot. How about treating your customers right to begin with, guys?

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Hello Therese,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we are truly sorry for any misunderstanding regarding the return. We do offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and our Customer Care team will be in touch to assist with making sure that happens. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us another try!
saey
2/3/17

Attempted to order oversized canvases but handling fee was too much. Sales representatives said to place an order as that is the only way they can reduce the handling fee and promised that they would not process the order until they get confirmation from me that I am ok with the reduced handling fee.
Next thing I get is the shipping email. They processed the order without my consent with $150 handling fee.
To make long story short, my order was already shipped according to the email confirmation and I talked to the supervisor who said she will mail the $150 coupon the following week. I even made a note that I talked to *, the supervisor and was promised $150 coupon instead of returning my whole order as I felt little funny about the supervisors attitude.
But lo and behold, I get a "return" email the following week - even without the handling fee. First they charged me without my consent and now they refund without my consent and took out $150 handling fee!!
I call again and raised an issue why my return was processed and how they didn't even refund the handling fee back. The sale representative ends up saying she was the one who got the phone call that I said I wanted to return. I asked if they have a recording of phone conversation and she says yes but the call gets cut off and she is never calling me back.
On top of that, they are having some phone problem and the line gets cut off in the middle of the call multiple times and I'm at their mercy to get the call back.
I call again and got connected with second person and she is also not calling back after getting cut off.
I'm wasting my time and energy calling them to make sure that they refund all my money while they repeat their process/cancel/process/cancel with no reasonable answer as to why they charged me in the first place and wasting my time.
This is my second time experiencing bad online order process with them.
I'm never ordering anything from this web. They are unprofessional and shady.

*Personal information redacted by admin

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Hello,

We are very sorry to hear that you had a less than satisfactory experience. Please let me know what your order number was so that we can look into this for you.
helenm123
1/16/17

I think that DickBlick offers reasonable pricing on art materials and popular brands of materials like graphite crayons, lithography crayons, easels, markers, oil paints, etc. Have yet to find a vendor that is a match who delivers quality on par with Blick's and their mid-range pricing at the same time. Bottom line, I think they are OK and would be a repeat customer of theirs, but I would keep an eye out for other art vendors and bargains for the same materials, supplies, and otehr things that Blick offers at Amazon.com and search Google to see if I find the item elsewhere for an equally good or superior price before shopping here.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
HI Helen, thank you for your review! We are always glad to get feedback that lets us know how we can improve. Please let us know if you have any specific suggestions on how we can provide better service. We do not want price to be a reason to buy from another supplier if we are your preferred supplier so we do offer price matching as well. Please contact us at info@$#*!blick.com or call 1-800-828-4548 for more information.

Thank you again, we truly appreciate your business!
yous321
10/29/16

I ordered a 74 set of Gelly Roll Pens from Blick. My Michaels order I placed a few days after came before theirs. Once it arrived, the plastic box only had 2 pieces of masking tape sealing them shut, instead of being completely sealed with plastic shrink wrap. All of the pens did not have the typical plastic cover/dipping on the nibs to prevent leakage. This to me says used, especially since the sets I have bought in the "blister"/cardboard packaging always have this protective coating (you remove it after you uncap your pen, to use it). I called Sakura of America based in CA and they said they send these out with the protective nib cover like with the blister pacs and these are shrinkwrapoed when sent out. I called after getting the pens... the lady I talked to was not the friendliest and said a new shipment would be sent out. I recieved it today, about 5 days later... this time the label on the box states "please shrink wrap before sending".... seriously? That was not my point, or my request... opening the box what the did was put 1.5 inch wound stripping of shrink wrap around tne to and back of the box... nevermind the sides... not protected there at least either. Same thing... inky tips, and two pieces of making tape covering the flaps to keep the case closed. I called again and explained... the woman began stating it wasnt their fault and that they cant expect each and every pen, raising her voice, stating i could return both sets and they would send me some valued customer coupon... and send another set. I told her i didnt want another set and while i could have ordered from Amazon and recieved better customer service, that i would keep the first set, return the other, and due to this whole experience would not be using or recommending Blick to anyone I know in the future (since the second rep was practically yelling at me, my kid turned and looked at me while i was on the phone because he could hear her yelling from the other side of the sofa)... she said she didnt know how else to help me, and was transferring me to her lead. 3-4 minutes later, the lead gets on the phone, nicer tone, but nothing she could do either, same old "we cant control the quality" or "we can send another set" junk... I didnt even want to be tranferred to this woman, I just wanted to be done... but stayed on in hopes that this woman might understand the point and further research this conflict of information between the manufacturer and the warehouse... but no... and now I wont get a "valued" customer coupon either... haha, whatever. Well, they have my money for these pens, but will not get anymore of it again in the future. Ill stick with the places ai normally spend money with, that care about their customers, where I wont get yelled at for reporting an issue with a 70-90 dollar product.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Hello,
I had a package of the pens sent to me from our warehouse. The pens arrived without any sort of cellophane wrapping and just had a single piece of clear plastic tape holding each of the latches down. I opened the set and looked at the nibs . They did not have the dip type coating or ball that needs to be removed from the pen tip before it can be used. They do however have a small ball shaped rubber/plasticball embedded in the caps that cover the end of the nib when the cap is in place. (You can easily see that on the pens that have clear caps.) So, this all corresponds with your description.
Next I contacted Sakura. I provided them with the description above and asked if that is current correct packaging, or if there has been a recent change in the packaging for the individual sets of 74 pens. I will be glad to forward you the entire email if you like, however this is their response:
“The packaging is correct. One of our Sales Managers thought we were shrink wrapping them, but we don’t. The little (removable) ball you are referring to is only for Glaze and Souffle since they flow loosely to protect them during shipping. They should not be re-used as they will encourage the Glaze and Souffle to leak. They are not considered Gelly Roll pens and are not in the set.
The ball inside the cap is intended to keep the pens fresh when not in use. They should always be stored with their cap firmly on and horizontal is best.”
So, it appears that Sakura had previously provided you with incorrect information and that you did indeed receive the set in the condition that Sakura provides them to us in. I hope you that you will be relieved at least to know that you did not get a used or tampered with set.
I do sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding on the part of our customer service agent regarding the desired resolution, and any less than stellar customer service you may have received.
I will be glad to send you a valued customer coupon as a small token of our apology.
naomic10
5/31/16

I always really liked this company until I found they were using spyware on their web site. This means that items you look at show up as ads on other sites, and is very creepy. According to their own web site:

"This site uses ClickTale web analytics service. ClickTale may record mouse clicks, mouse movements, scrolling activity as well as any text you type in this website."

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
As stated in our phone message to you, online remarketing is an industry standard for online retailers. It is done by very large online retailers and small ones as well. We worked with Google for remarketing, which is a reputable company. We do not collect any personally identifiable information. We do state in our privacy policy our practice and give you a means to opt out of Clicktales. Web analytics collects and analyzes data about how visitors use this website, but we do not use this information to identify or contact individual users nor do we supply any data that could identify individual users to a third party. A link to Security and Privacy information is found on every page of our website.
stephenm124
5/2/16

The shipping algorithm used by DickBlick is extraordinarily inefficient. We will not be doing business with this company again.

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you for your feedback , and I apologize if your order was not delivered when you expected it. Our shipping estimates are generally very accurate, however occasionally there are unexpected events that can delay delivery, such as labels or packages that are damaged while en route, severe weather, etc. We are always glad to check into orders that haven't arrived by the expected delivery date, or when tracking shows a problem has occurred. Please call us at 1-800-723-2787, or message me here with your order number, and someone will be happy to assist you further with this.
roseannz
4/19/16

I was incredibly shocked to read so many bad reviews written about Blick Art!! I have ordered numerous times and have received my orders quickly and perfectly. I make my own cards and eventually, I want to scrapbook. The blank cards sold are incredible-beautifully heavy paper of many kinds, from watercolor paper to hemp, bamboo, multimedia. Strathmore card paper is one of my all-time favorites. They sell EVERYTHING I need-a huge variety of pens, pencils, markers, adhesives, craft products. The site is easy to handle. If you are someone like me, who makes cards (but I don't paint), order from dickblick.com. I have always been more than satisfied!

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you so much for your review, Roseann! We appreciate the confidence you have placed in us and we look forward to providing you with the best possible service and products in the future!
cynthiaj12
10/30/15

I like the prices on DickBlick. The customer service is good. However the shipping is so slow, I feel I need to order 3 weeks ahead of time to get supplies I need

Response from Annette M., DickBlick Representative
Thank you for the review Cynthia; we appreciate your feedback! We do offer a variety of faster shipping methods if you need your order delivered quicker. You can find more information on our website here http://www.$#*!blick.com/customerservice/shipping/, or call us at 1-800-828-4548 and we'll be glad to give you more information on those options.

Hi Jeannette! You can find the online lesson plans by clicking on the hamburger menu at the top left of the screen on any of our web pages, and selecting the "For Educators" option then clicking on the lesson plans option in the menu there. If you are on a desktop computer, you will also find the "For Educators" link in the menu bar at the very top of every page. Or you can go there directly by using this URL: https://www.$#*!blick.com/lesson-plans/ Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

By Annette M., DickBlick Representative

Thank you for your question! It may be possible, however the return policy can vary from one store to another. Please call the store you are planning to visit to find out making a return for an online at that location. You can find the store contact information using the "Find a Store" link found at the top of all of our web pages.

By Annette M., DickBlick Representative

Hi Robin, Thank you for your question! It may be possible, however the return policy can vary from one store to another. Please call the store you are planning to visit to find out making a return for an online at that location. You can find the store contact information here: https://www.$#*!blick.com/stores/

By Annette M., DickBlick Representative

Hi Cindy, Thank you for your question! The return policy can vary from one store to another. If you have a preferred customer account, they may be able to look up your original purchase. Please call the store you are planning to visit to find out making a return at that location. You can find the store contact information here: https://www.$#*!blick.com/stores/

By Annette M., DickBlick Representative

Hi Sam, thank you for your question. We aren't aware of any issues with our website not working. If you are still experiencing problems using our website or ever have questions of any kind, please contact us directly at info@$#*!blick.com so that we can quickly address your questions. (This website has no direct affiliation with $#*! Blick so you may not receive a timely response to questions posted here.)

By Annette M., DickBlick Representative

Thank you for posting your question on this website. I was able to forward your information to the Blick Customer Care team and someone will be in touch to assist you with your questions very soon!

By Annette M., DickBlick Representative

Hi Carla, In most cases, as long as the in-stock portion of the order has a value of at least $15 or more, it will ship right way. That is true for multiple backordered items as well, to avoid sending multiple small backordered items one at a time as they come in. It doesn't really make sense, for example, to ship 5 separate boxes, each containing a single pencil, so we hold those small backordered items until at least $15 worth have come back into stock, or until all backorders have arrived if they have a combined value of less than $15. If you have a backordered item that's come into stock which doesn't meet that minimum, but is something you need right away, please call us so arrangements can be made to get it to you sooner. We will be glad to check on your specific order to find out for certain what the status is, if you like! Just email us your question at orders@$#*!blick.com. Thanks for your question!

By Annette M., DickBlick Representative

Hi Isis, It can take a couple of days for a FexEd tracking number to show activity, and if you placed the order on the weekend, you may not see an update until Monday. If you will send us your name and order number at info@$#*!blick.com, we will be glad to have Customer Service check into this for you right away!

By Annette M., DickBlick Representative

Questions? Get answers from the DickBlick staff and other customers.

DickBlick?