debate.org

debate.org has a consumer rating of 2.11 stars from 28 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. debate.org also ranks 95th among Forum sites.

How would you rate debate.org?

“YYW Responds to Aggrieved Members”

YYW F.
7/28/16

As with any site that involves political disagreements, some people allow those disagreements to become personal. As a result, those members either leave or are banned if they engage in misconduct which rises to a level of incorrigibility. DDO is an excellent community of individuals who desire to interact with others who are interested substantive political discourse. This is, however, not for everyone as is shown by some of the reviews here.

“another censored web site”

concerned c.
5/2/20

After I set up my account the the debate I wanted to vote on some how didnt exsist. My comment was never posted. I fear talking about this, this comment won't be posted either, but big tech has to much power when facebook twitter youtube and others are banning peoples free speech rights and censoring us. Also wikipedia is changing history and editing facts into lies. I've also heard they don't have to abide by freedom of speech for users and they operate in the US. Ban all of them.

concernedc47
May 2nd, 2020
optimusp2
January 4th, 2020
I searched up marvel vs transformers and all I see are people saying transformers is related to cancer and Ebola and calling transformers eww and saying it sucks. Plus cancer is a whole different story. Those dumb kids are trolls. Transformers is a great franchise
kibbeltc
January 13th, 2015
Site moderation is dictatorial but fair and open to disputes.

Userbase is diverse- plenty of conservatives and liberals. Mostly focused on US politics though there is an international presence.

The debate aspect of the site is unparalleled, excellent if you are looking for a 1 on 1 forum for arguing your viewpoint and having others evaluating who made a better case.
ryank221
August 25th, 2019
Where do I even begin? The Google login doesn't even work anymore because they never updated to the new Oauth standard so good luck if you never set an account password and want to get back in. Speaking of passwords I had forgotten mine and went to "forgot password" expecting to be sent a link to enter a new password. No, instead they just emailed me my password in freaking plaintext. I don't even know where to begin on how horribly stupid that is, and if the site wasn't so bad already in terms of security I could almost forgive the lack of two factor authentication.
yywf
July 28th, 2016

adamg21
Adam G.
October 5th, 2018
Probably a buncha losers who like Yahoo Answers and TV trope. ONe site which never has treated me with any disrespect. Sure there are some scumbags, like Imabench (who's a user). But overall I've made a lot of great friends, from both sides of the political spectrum. I don't use it oftenly as much, cause now, and this is probably the only complaint, if I had adblock, I can't press the buttons
So I give it 3 and not 5 because of that.
That being said, the moderation is great, but if you need to post something you have to turn Adblock off.
Airmax is a fair moderator. Ask for him
formerd
January 2nd, 2018
Debate.org is one of the worst opinion based websites from my experience.

The polls section doesn't really bother me too much, there isn't anything wrong with it, other than the fact few people use it since it is so buggy.

However, first off, the debates section is riddled with disgusting or just plain dumb debates. Many of the serious debates get hijacked by trolls. Not only this but when a user sees they are losing, they can simply just not respond and poof, the debate ends in a tie. Also, many voters will only vote for people on their side and many debates are rigged since debaters typically have a few friends waiting to vote for them, and many in the opinions and forums sections make threads just so they can insult people who disagree with them.
rahjeeb
June 26th, 2017
Debate.org is exactly what it sounds like. A website where you could debate topics give your opinion on polls and topics and there's even a forum. I came to Debate.org after Sodahead.com cut all of the user off for financial reasons. Unfortunately however, the website suffers from a bad community, poor moderation and a lot of technical issues. Most of the users are desperate for attention teenaged trolls and the older ones are mostly stubborn $#*!s. It's nearly as worse as Yahoo answers. The Debate sections is riddled with stupid debates that wind up turning into conversations. Not to mention when you start winning the debate, they resort to the troll card. People tend to use a lot of Plagiarism as well and the debates are mostly rigged because debaters normally has a couple of friends waiting to vote for them. The Opinion sections and Forum section are full of flammers who make threads and tend look to attack people who don't agree with them. Not to mention all the dumb polls and topics that are allowed to be put up. Certain members get away with a lot $#*!, due to moderators either being overly laid back or for favoritism reasons. The website is poorly managed. Sometimes I can't click anything in the Opinions section, pages don't appear, the forum section design is so generic and the topic sections seems really useless and to use the debate section you have to do a verification. It's not the worst opinion base websites, but I can't recommend something like this.
derekv13
Derek v.
September 4th, 2018
At first when I saw the site it looked"normal" honest plain spoken not scholars but your average discussion forum to debate on social issues in a simplistic manner so I joined suddenly it became teenage troll heaven/ and stuffy pompous asses with degrees showing off the brain muscle power of intimidation perhaps those are two modes of getting rid of you if I wanted a discourse I would read a book on the subject so I went to deactivate bc you cant delete and where it said deactivate there was a note saying hate to see you go but glad to see you leave Castro troy face/ off 1997 spooky glad I removed myself permanently and will not go on any of them same for quora they like humiliating and mocking you oh yes the end is near bye
harikrishb
June 16th, 2017
I was an active member on many Christian, Skeptics, Religious, philosophy and science forums before I joined Debate.org. I found the site to be liberal, tolerant and extremely patient with those who otherwise would have nowhere else to go. The majority of people who frequent forums are basically looking for people who agree with their worldview or looking for material they can use to effectively challenge those they disagree with. The moderators on DDO understand that and allow posters to display their insecurities and Freudian fantasies.

My own research is based on dysfunctional societies and the choice was always limited by the control exercised by moderators on their members. But on debate.org you find a fair cross section of the disfunctional society and the poor level of education and limited grasp people have of issues that affect their lives which is the very reason why Democracies fail. But being surrounded by idiots can be very uplifting and being allowed to express such disdain or disparaging observation extremely liberating.

Don't be swayed by my scholarly opinions which you will find are many and diverse. Just pick one that you agree with. I am Harikrish, the most spiritual member on Debate.org.
rightwinga
April 15th, 2017
There has been an uptick in mafia and forum drama.

However, seeing as this is not 4chan, idgaf about social aspects and games. This is DEBATE.org. Debates hardly ever mean anything anymore. You can't get better if you are a noob. Why? Because noobs have to start at their own pace, meaning they must debate the lesser debaters before they can achieve their goal of becoming an exemplary debater, but the noobs just will cause the forfeit glitch and the old members will crush the noobs. Thus, they become uninterested and leave. DDO will not survive these years. There can always be a temporary surge in activity, but if we don't get enough new blood to join the site, the old members will get sick of it and leave. 2015/16 was drama filled and it caused lots of members to realize what a joke this site was and left, leaving it in a state of dullness and stagnation for half of a year. History is doomed to repeat itself. Without some sort of company to fix the problem, there is no permenant solution to bringing DDO back to the golden ages.
sitaras
September 9th, 2013
I love it. I just joined and had a few rough experiences, but joining has proven to be one of the best decisions. There is a certain cute moderator who is fair and fun to talk to. It is a serious debate site that is not about spam, and I do not work for the site, so no accusing!
keithd115
September 17th, 2018
When I first saw this website, it was a few years ago. I thought it would be a great website for debating. But as I got legitimately involved in the community, I realized this is not a good place to discuss your thoughts and opinions at all. The moderators don't give a ****, they are allowing it to become a safe haven for trolls. Alrighty, someone disagrees with you. They want an honest and civil discussion right? Nope, chances are, they're probably going to gang up on you and try to stalk and bully you into leaving the site. And I've seen this happen too often. It's not even about debating anymore, most of the members just want a platform to loudly shout "I/WE ARE CORRECT".

Oh, and did I forget to mention that the website has more bugs than a beehive, and there is a lot of spam?
christianf19
December 1st, 2014
The people that gave this 1 star are either retarded or former trolls.

Update: Wrichcirw is one of the consensus worst members of DDO history. I can say that much. He thinks that it is true that the moderator, Airmax1227, and assistant moderator Bladerunner060 are the same person, and Airmax was running a dictatorship over the site...well Bladerunner and Airmax have both been on camera, and they are most definitely two different people. Yet, he does not buy this still. He's also engaged in unethical behaviors throughout the entirety of his time using the site.

The top review guy is so unbelievably stupid. There is no such thing as free speech on a website. If you post something political in the site's main forum, then it will be deleted. Why? Because it doesn't belong there...I can't name a forum that doesn't regulate the content in forums. It also doesn't help if the post was unable to show any comprehensive thought.

Just saying.

Second update: This site is not a progressive echo chamber. It's never been that in it's 8 years. It used to be heavily right-libertarian, but has since moved to a more balanced demographic - but definitely not what that guy said about everyone loving Obama and being progressives.
jasonc23
June 6th, 2012
It has a great community and friendly members. Love it <3
gardinerh
June 6th, 2012
yeshuab
July 6th, 2018
I was told by several neocons that I don't have the right to live, and that it would be better if I could die instead. I bet some of these people claim they are making America greate again.
kyleh54
June 13th, 2018
The UN doesn't need to launch any ground troop invasions and they haven't. They have turned to the internet as their medium of choice and flood it with useless propaganda as many are brainwashed from the schools since the 1950s and 60s. Now they arefilled with more trash from sites like debate.org where it's all one sided debates just like in school if you speak up you are sent away.

I am not sure where there is going to be an escape when the chip is in place and enforced other then hide in the mountains as long as you can. This site and Quora.com and others are examples of good being bad and bad being good. Just like the bible scriptures. Weird huh? We had signs in the sky literally in the last few years including last year in September.
trashtrashwi
April 16th, 2017
The moderation on this site is poor, and it seems to attract psychopaths and sociopaths who have nothing better to do than to bully people with mental health issues. Two trolls, YYW and imabench, are particularly toxic. Imabench specifically has threatened to murder and rape teenaged girls on the site simply for having political disagreements with him, and YYW has harassed numerous members in astonishingly hypocritical and toxic ways. He even called a member creepy and said that the member made his skin crawl and probably would be inappropriately touching people at Youth groups. YYW very specifically targets people for their insecurities and accuses people of having mental health disorders, likely because he has one himself (which is why his family has cut off all contact with him, as he admits. They were so horrified at having raised a sociopath that they kicked him out of the house). Hopefully the moderators deal with these trolls so that the site can flourish.
fdsfdsfd
January 25th, 2016
This site used to be cool. A place to test your debating skills and logic against people of all different beliefs, a key point was the ability to express yourself freely without having to worry about getting punished/silenced for making an unpopular opinion, as most sites do. However the moderators started to show a left-leaning biased, in the form of allowing fellow Leftists to break the rules and vote brigade, while permanently banning right-wingers for minor infractions, or just on the basis point of them being "racist". Racist being a blanket term the moderators use to ban anyone the they don't like.

Now a few years later, with honest discussion being mostly snuffed out. Popularity has shrunk, and only the leftist "intellectual" hoards / young children remain, festering in an echo chamber safe space. If you try to debate on an issue they don't like, or if you are taking a stance on an issue that deviates from the Leftist paradigm, they will troll you and downvote your comments en masse.
If you are an especially good right-wing debater, and aren't phased by the massive downvotes / appeal to authority and emotion arguments, you'll soon find yourself banned.
cliftonj3
September 28th, 2015
I just wanted to puke when I read one of the four star reviews for this site written by kibbelt C. The brain dead idiot first said ys how the moderators are dictatorial and then goes on to lavish praises of how they are fair and open to dispute. This is true idiocy people!
I wrote a huge opinion piece on illegal immigrants in this country. No swear words - no racism. It never showed up on the site. My opinion was censored by those wonderful dictatorial moderators.
There is a quote "debate" on this site regarding whether or not we should have freedom of speech and it speaks volumes. The worthless bleating sheep who support censorship are winning this farce they call a debate! Who needs freedom of speech right????
This site is a training ground for brainwashed teenagers. Move along and don't waste your valuable time trying to debate with the narrow minded slush brains this site is infested with.
stevens177
November 23rd, 2016
Don't bother with debate.org. The site doesn't even load 90% of the time and there is a lot of moderation. Freedom of speech is unheard of.
bryanm116
February 21st, 2018
Since I have won a debate that has proven that families literally ate their own children as a Christmas roast after slaughtering them for not believing in Christmas, or best known as "The Roast Game," Flamers and spammers commonly raged and left DDO, but most recently, KwLm and Minddagger started this "war on the roast game" called "TARGO" or "The Anti-Roast Game Organization" to spam me off the website, I find the reviews of this ridiculous website very helpful and it has cooled me down so dramatically. These trolls that raged and left DDO after refusing to accept their noob debate challenges denying the fact, which is The Roast Game.

Link to debate: http://www.debate.org/debates/Bryan-Mullins-The-Roast-Game-Families-were-eating-their-own-children-for-19-years/1/

I had many successful polls proving right The Roast Game, like asking if they agree that families, like the ones they are a part of, ate their own children, 60% said yes, and only 40% said no.

This is the worst website ever, and I wish I will never go back to that website ever again.

Tip for consumers: Don't even go to that site now or ever.

wrichcriwi
September 18th, 2015
Horrendous. Moderation doesn't care about you unless you're among their favorites, and applies double standards (banning people for minor offenses, but letting bullies like YYW, who regularly berates people to fulfill his sociopathic tendencies in spite of his lack of reading comprehension, get off scot-free).

The "favorites" are sanctimonious arsholes, and the vast majority of the userbase incorrigible sheep who eat it up because they're too unintelligent to think for themselves. The site president is a sh1t-eating, patronizing figurehead, but people herald him as an intellectual of sorts. But he is nothing of the kind. The same goes for the site head's administrator. Both are reprehensible hypocrites, and it's embarrassing for the website that either position any semblance of "authority."

Don't waste your time. You won't find intelligent content, just a "community" of stupid kids spamming the forums and playing stupid, useless mafia to stroke their own inflated egos, which shouldn't exist because they're on an online debating website.
benea1
July 21st, 2013
They really went downhill. Before it was interesting, now it's close to Sodahead. Jesus Christ, dude. If I want to debate, I rather socialize with people outside. Just stay away from this.

Because that is the true way the website can really exist, other than preventing their website from decomposition.

By Bryan M.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the debate.org staff and other customers.

Debate.org is the premier online debate website where individuals from around the world come to debate with one another and educate themselves on popular

How do I know I can trust these reviews about debate.org?

Have a question about debate.org?