Crisis Text Line

Crisis Text Line has a consumer rating of 1.7 stars from 33 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Crisis Text Line ranks 45th among Non Profit sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 12.5%
How would you rate Crisis Text Line?

“Was just what I needed.”

Americo C.
5/31/20

Once I texted. I was dealing with a lot of stressful problems and felt overwhelmed to the point I could not sleep. I had anxiety so bad I had Knott's in my stomach. But I was no way suicidal. The counselor who corresponded with me was very good. I think sometimes personalities have to match in any sort of counseling situation. we connected right away . And he got to the heart of the matter with me quickly. About 10-15 minutes later I felt like I got a big load off my chest and finally slept that night. I thank him whoever he was. very compassionate and understanding during a time I felt so much grief, burden and isolation. I can't thank you enough!!!

“Micromanagers!”

Alex S.
9/29/20

Having over 20 years of experience dealing with people, including helping those with mental illnesses, suicide prevention, and youth programs, being a volunteer here is not ideal. Many "supervisors" tell you to rush thru conversations. They use a formatted robotic script and when you go off script, a supervisor pops up and tells you to get on track, even after you receive numerous thank you's from the texters.

alexs1246
September 29th, 2020

michaelm6012
December 12th, 2020

Just sent texts to this line while feeling suicidal. 1-2 questions asked then nothing. Very long, awkward pause after having just revealed very sensitive info. It felt like being put on hold after you just shared your darkest secret. This was at 730am on a Saturday morning (US time). I'd hate to fathom what would happen during busier times. Such a shame.

lilyd77
December 14th, 2020

I can guarantee this will make you feel worse. Takes them terribly long to respond. They just kept talking about coping mechanisms. And scripted responses. I'm pretty sure I was just talking to a bot. I opened up about being raped and Ashley changed the subject too " its almost time to wrap up, talk to me about coping mechanisms. " I feel even more alone now, please don't use 741741

jessicaj1112
September 9th, 2021

It was very unauthentic and robot like. I received zero help using this "resource", and felt more suicidal after texting them.

They are not trained mental health counselors, do not have a degree in counseling, or hold a legit verifiable license.

ollieh45
August 18th, 2021

I'm really not satisfied with this hotline at all. Every time I have contacted these people, they basically just repeat what I said, but as a question. And no, I can't go take a walk because I want to kill myself, its 2:56 in the morning-

maryw1516
October 27th, 2020

The supervisors and managers are horrible. They give you a format to follow, but people come with different problems and needs. They micromange everything, if you do not follow the script they will kick you off. They do not seem to care about the people just their agenda. They have no idea how to provide support. The company was called out on not addressing the racial issues and sweeping under the rug, they had to come up with an apology. Please don't text in, just know there is nothing wrong with you and practice self compassion.

salemc4
September 18th, 2021

It feels like you're being rushed as others have said, basically if you're suicidal they'll answer you quickly anything else is awhile. And beyond that it's the same conversation every time and they have went the route of rehearsed and scripted to get through people rather than actually talking to and connecting to people in crisis situations. If you're not actively about to end your life you're sent pre-written scripts until they can get rid of you. I'm sure the volunteers really do care and probably hate how it's set up, but the actual whole system side itself does not care about those at risk.

Last time I was in crisis I tried the Trevor Project chat online and it was AMAZING. They talked to me like a human being and were actually able to help me and I never felt rushed, so it's awesome to know there's a chat option that's actually helpful as calls give me anxiety at the best of times let alone if I'm in a low place. I'm queer so Trevor Project is also good in that area but honestly if you're doing awful and need someone I'd recommend staying clear of Crisis Text Line.

Tip for consumers:
Anticipate being rushed through and not being talked to as an individual by another person. They seem to really push not to talk to people who reach out as a fellow person as a way to avoid talking about yourself, but it also completely removes the sense of someone empathizing and understanding.

rayv75
November 13th, 2020

Don't bother using the 741741 crisis text line unless you want cops showing up at your door, just because I forgot to respond back I get cops on my front door they will track you down and send you to a mental hospital like they did with me.

alexs1365
January 8th, 2021

As a volunteer crisis counselor, this organization has good intentions but horrible supervision. The supervisors constantly tell you to rush through each conversation... EVEN WHEN THERE ARE NO TEXTERS WAITING IN THE QUEUE! They rather you finish each conversation within 45 mins than to actually take the time and effort with the texter, who is in crisis. Each texter is experiencing different levels of crisis, so rushing a counselor with the conversation sounds very uncaring.

drinkt
March 12th, 2021

I texted the line having suicidal thoughts, hoping to feel better. But their answers are so canned/scripted that it's even more alienating. They'll say, "gosh, dealing with (insert situation here) sounds hard, I'm glad you reached out today," two or three times, then send you a gif of a bubble popping to help you "reduce stress," then end the conversation. It's not helping anyone. I feel bad for people who get a gif of a bubble and a canned response right before they actually take the plunge. I didn't, obviously, but I have plenty of alcohol to help me forget that awful interaction.

Hang in there, I guess.

americoc2
Americo C.
May 31st, 2020

mariak76
July 30th, 2021

If you are in a crisis, please call the actual Suicide Hotline and speak to a real person. Or go to the ER. This crisis text line is bogus. It will make things worse for you. I have used them twice, thinking I'll try again after the first horrible experience. Nope, both of them made me want to hurt myself even more. The first time, I was "on hold" for over 45 minutes while they "found someone for me". They kept telling me they were busy, but to keep waiting. I didn't keep waiting. I ended the text. The next time, I did get someone. Despite me sharing in detail what I was going through, all I got back were some generic words and a list of distractions I could do, like drink some water, and a list of (not free) apps I could download on my phone. I shared both of these experiences with a therapist, and they were concerned about this text line and they thought they were bots on the other end. Pretty unethical to play around with someone's safety, by assigning bots that advertise to help you in a crisis. Maybe it depends on your geographical location, what kind of responses you might get from this.

skyh16
December 11th, 2020

They called EMS on me I hate it. They should ducking stay away. Like they don't understand at all like the person who I talked to made me worse

leeannl26
May 15th, 2021

I texted after many nights of not sleeping. After a while I realized that it really wasn't going to do a whole lot for me and I just wanted to stop and try to sleep. I said as much but Sean insisted that I was in a crises. He refused to listen to my pleas. I did not indicate that I'd kill myself. I did not indicate that I was suffering a medical emergency other than lack of sleep. I made it clear I wanted to get off the line and go to sleep. That's it. Sean wouldn't let it go. Then the police arrived and left because I was not in need of intervention of any kind. After which, I started talking to someone else on the live because I honestly felt really harassed and nervous about the whole thing. I wanted to lodge a complaint. Idk. I have no way of proving this but I think it's all one person. I don't think there are supervisors to actually help. I think it's just one moron giving themselves multiple names. I didn't sleep. I feel far worse now.

amayas8
May 2nd, 2021

I was super suicidal one night so i decided to text a hotline, they had me on hold for about 40 minutes just for us to talk for about 5. I thought they were there to listen but when i talked to her about it she made it seem like she just wanted to get the conversation over with. The only thing helpful she said was stuff like "you're super brave to speak up about it i know it's hard, i'm proud of you" something along those lines. Then she cut me off asking me if she could give me a link to go to that will help me, like i want to read all of it during that time. Overall i just felt like they were there to do there job and not because they care. At the end she says "anything else you want to talk about" before i could barely finish.

alexisb366
February 25th, 2020

I understand that the hotline is NOT a substitute for therapy. But I text them often, once a week maybe once every two weeks. Every single time I text they read through my previous messages and say "well have you used those coping skills?" YES? And those obviously didn't work and that's why I am texting you. I also explain that when I text them I am at work which is why it is hard for me to do my coping skills. They just say "have you looked for a therapist, we can't help you the way you need to be helped." Seriously? All I am asking for is for you to be a little compassionate for like 10 minutes.

lol16
May 20th, 2020

Helps out a lot in tough situations. It is not about having them help you, they help you talk out your problems and help yourself. Not pushy, there for you.

aidenb30
April 20th, 2021

I texted CTL and the person I was with understood me. A lot of people say it takes a long time to respond but It is nice having someone to talk to when I need help. They also say it's like talking to a bot but it was not like that with my experience. I give it 5 stars.

shanep339
August 19th, 2021

I texted in last night. Took over an hour to get someone on with me. And honestly ended call and still felt like I was in crisis.

amieg20
April 16th, 2021

I wasted time going through their training. It is counter intuitive from what I have learned going to school for Mental Health counseling. The trainers feedback is condescending and unhelpful. Their responses are robotic and repetitive. Please be careful!

Tip for consumers:
If you do text this line and feel as if you are being rushed, or that you are not getting anywhere, text "Stop" and call someone else!

Products used:
I was training to be a crisis counselor. I was given information to help with an activity, but was told that it wasn't "going to help an individual come down to a calm cool." I don't agree with rehearsed responses because we are pretty much just trying to fill a quita. We have 40 texts to get them through.

saram804
May 10th, 2021

Very supportive and very understanding got the help I needed they were great I would totally use them again

micahm198
May 18th, 2021

I have had to use it a couple of times due to my anxiety and depression. The volunteers are so kind and patient. One spent over a hour texting me and helping me get through my depression crisis. I highly recommend them. I am even hoping to volunteer for the textline.

Tip for consumers:
You are not going to be a bother. They do this because they want to help you.

baileyw59
April 20th, 2021

Did not help me at all. All they did was text me automated text messages and didn't relate to my needs at all. Useless.

ccd7
August 25th, 2020

Thousands of 18-22 year olds who learn a formula, canned lines, and how to send a google resource--use NAMI or natiional suicide prevention line

peterh1492
September 6th, 2021

I tried the Crisis Text Line one evening I was disappointed with it. It seemed like the crisis counselor was working off a script and it just didn't do anything for me. I felt like I was texting to a robot and not a human being.

I had trouble with that too, just remember, ideations, plan, means, and timeline

By Melissa R.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Crisis Text Line staff and other customers.

jaredw20
Jared W.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crisis Text Line?

See reviews as you browse with our Firefox extension

1.7
Have a question about Crisis Text Line?