Crisis Text Line reviews

New York, NY 10010, US
colleen@crisistextline.org

pinkd18
9/5/19

I've tried several times to contact them through text and through the messanger they set up. I've laid and cried for hours and they never get back to me. Instead they harass me with "do you still need help". Before it was unless you were going to harm yourself you got shot to the back of the list but who is really going to be honest about that? Attention seekers maybe.
Never got any help
Never got to talk to a person.
What a joke. The #1 hotline everyone talks about don't jack.
I am in a lot of crisis's but this is like none before. I realize they may not have enough volunteers but then give and estimate of where you are in the queue or refer you to a different site.

dryae
8/17/19

I didn't know the magic words to get help, apparently. In the first message I explained that I was a sexual abuse survivor struggling with my memories of the abuse and that I wanted to cut myself or drink myself into a stupor. I also explained that I have a child, so I really didn't want to as well. It was 3am and I couldn't sleep and I was about to cut myself. The first response from Brian was that I was unclear, to explain the problem better. I did so, again, in short texts. He said that I seemed preoccupied and perhaps I should text later. He didn't see what the problem was. I said I probably wouldn't do that and to end the session. At that point I was so hurt by his dismissal and my own horrible state that I couldn't tell him that he had made everything worse by dismissing me. I complained to the crisis line later, but I got no reply beyond a bot. The experience was damaging to someone who has a hard time talking about my problems and trusting others anyway, and I know people like me are not uncommon. Don't bother texting unless you plan on saying "I'm going to kill myself in the next few minutes" or something extremely easy to understand. Truthfully, I would have been better off talking to a comforting bot.

formeru1
10/13/18

Don't tolerate disrespect from rude and incompetent counselors.. The person I spoke too was mean, condescending and said some outrageous things. No texter should have to put up with that. Just remembering him and the things that he said makes me want to vomit.

Be careful and hope you get assigned to a good crisis counselor! If someone is being a jerk, ask to speak to someone else and make a complaint.

Communicating with kindness and having an open mind shouldn't be that hard for crisis counselors to do.

carole77
8/26/17

I saw that this had some good reviews; it saved many lives however when I logged on to it it didn't seem to favor me and I was feeling pretty desperately down. I can't understand for the life of me why I wasn't able to take the benefits many others did. In fact, after that, I felt even worse. Be careful with ANY crisis line. When feeling so down the last thing we need is no answer.

Questions? Get answers from the Crisis Text Line staff and other customers.

Crisis Text Line?