Covered California reviews

Tel: 1-800-300-1506
toolfeedback@coveredca.com

maryj784
5/1/19

I rarely post reviews online unless I'm outraged. I'm outraged.
It started in March, I called about 1095 form and found out my son doesn't have insurance since last year! I was enrolled in autopay with Healthnet and they didn't deduct the money from my account (it wasn't declined, I checked). It was a busy year, we had major car accident right before holidays and a lot of things going on for a couple of months and I didn't check assuming insurance needs money, it's the business and they will deduct or call/email/notify me. Not at all! No emails, no phone calls, nothing. I couldn't access Healthnet online account because they didn't allow to set one up arguing that it's a minor and I a parent is not allowed to do it (even if the parent pays the bills). And guess what, I called Covered California to change my info twice earlier this year and no one bothered to tell me my insurance was cancelled! Plus, in January I received new 2019 insurance cards and all paperwork with email stating that he is reinrolled for 2019. Given all these facts I was reassured my son has insurance. I couldn't believe this was happening, I spent 2.5 hours on a conference call with Covered California and Healthnet crying with disbelief and feeling powerless. Both parties dodged the ball saying if other party can reinstate they will reinstate but no one agreed to do it and requested the other party to approve. I was reassured by both parties that they will submit all requests and get back to me a week later. Guess what?! A week later no call, I called and Cover Calif rep told me that they don't see any paperwork or any info about my issue and the person I was talking to last time didn't submit anything. NOTHING! I WAS CRYING AND BEGGING FOR HELP LAST WEEK AND NOTHING! Please wait another week ma'am, we can't help you unless Healthnet reinstates, we don't care if a kid doesn't have insurance. Can I reapply? I confirmed Healthnet associate made a mistake processing the card and it shouldn't be my fault but they won't fix it, what should I do? We can't help, you have to wait or buy private insurance (and go bankrupt, I wouldn't bother with Cover Calif if I could afford one) or one of the qualifying events happen (you loose your job, get married, etc). I was asking if I can do anything else and he mentioned that if my income changes more than 10% they can enroll again. Guess what?! I've checked the private insurance plans and decided to ask for reduced hours, better with a job than without. And next time I called that didn't solve my problem! This person gave me wrong information! A month and a half later after multiple calls with multiple people telling me different information I received a call from support unit and was notified my claim was denied because Healtnet denied the reinstatement even though I was willing to pay all payments owed. And this all after multiple phone calls with Healthnet saying if Cover Calif will reinstate we will accept. My work won't allow to add dependant since they need a note that he lost coverage withing last 30 days (I was willing to pay more monthly to get insurance), Cover Calif won't help, I can't afford private plans so the only option I have is to quit? Or my kid will be without health insurance. How is this acceptable? Yes, I didn't check my bank account, yes I should have, but being a single parent with no support is tough and I have tons of things to do and I work a lot. But Healthnet admitted on a phone call (which I can't prove) that the representative didn't collect the info correctly and made a mistake and they never notified me! Leaving a kid without health insurance is just plain wrong and no one is even trying to help! "that's the policy ma'am" I hear from both companies, but no one accounts for the human mistakes made by Healthnet support and lack of access to online account and not notifying about the cancellation. Covered California was meant to help people to get health insurance and it's not the case. Workers have contradicting information about their own rules, policies and deadlines, they have lengthy resolution policies and no accountability. One day they tell you one thing and you reduce your work hours so your son can get the health insurance back and the next it doesn't work. Considering recording all conversations from now on, I feel helpless and can't believe this is happening.

jacks702
2/14/19

I lost my healthcare through my job so I applied to Covered CA and the online process was a mess and confusing so I called in to see the status of my app. There were a lot of issues with my app and the guy on the phone not only let me know about the issues, but corrected them and then helped me sign up for my choice of health and dental insurance plans on the spot. I had low expectations going in but I was pleasantly surprised with the experience.

nghian5
2/5/19

How can CoveredCA (CC) called it "affordable care" when at year end when I got their 1095A? Unless your FPL income is over 400%, no matter what your income level is below 400%, at year end when you file the Federal Tax Return, the IRS took at least $300 tax out of you (if single). For me, they took $600, which I never thought I had to pay back the tax money when I am at below Federal Poverty Level.
In other words, when you signed up with CC, they give you the lowest price possible but they didn't tell you that you have to pay back (at least $300) out of your pocket for government premium tax credit! What a joke! So instead of paying $38/mo. for the lowest health care, it turned out that I had to pay $50/mo extra for tax credit at year end!? (Take a look at table 5 on form 8962, you'll see what I am talking about; and for people has over 400% FPL, they don't have to pay in anything!).
How can you call it "affordable care" when IRS take $600 out of your pocket to offset whatever they think we should have. What a rip-off IRS & CC are doing to poor people...We are already poor, now they want to tax more of us out of CC affordable care! Maybe I should take the suggestion of having no insurance and just pay the penalty.

navdeepg
8/3/18

Very bad experience when i call they disconnected my call during the talk then they haven't call me back after 10 mintue i have call back again then the representative women have no any knowledge and she was not very keen to talk and not give me any information. Bad service

jcc32
11/24/17

FYI: Here's why covered California is a scam and you can find out for yourself:

If you have one of the PPO Blue Shield plans, technically you should be able to go to anybody who excepts Blue Shield, right?

Well I have that and had an ear infection so I looked up an ENT that was part of Blue Shield and asked them if they took Blue Shield and I said yes but we DO NOT ACCEPT the covered California Blue Shield.

HUH?
What?

That's like having American Express prepaid and going to a store that excepts American Express but they're saying "oh we don't except the prepaid American Express".

What a forced upon you joke.

And to top it off when I researched for anybody who does accept covered Blue Shield covered California....it was the lower ghetto offices.
Not that more established higher quality ENT office is that one would like to go to of their choosing.

Because this is information that covered California does not want the public to know, they've deleted this post on Facebook and also blocking me from posting it again. For some reason they were under the Impression they could silence the truth. It's part of their deception plan And they will do everything they can to keep it a secret

On their YouTube channel they have disabled their comments, that alone should tell you something

These are just a few examples of how the scam works.. Do your research!

gilr8
4/14/16

I am still a supporter of Obamacare but I am not so enthusiastic after using it.
I used COVERED CALIFORNIA because I trusted the Affordable Care Act that endorsed it.
But it costed me $786.97 more than what I should have payed if I had not used COVERED CALIFORNIA.
Here is why:
I applied to covered California at the beginning of 2016 for a KAISER bronze plan because I was unemployed.
On the 14th of March 2016 I got a job with medical coverage.
On the 28th of march 2016 I called KAISER to inform them that I had benefits and therefore, I should not keep on paying the premiums.
The Kaiser billing department told me this : KAISER is only doing the billing for Covered California.I have to pay the premiums till the end of April .
If I had purchased my plan directly through Kaiser and not through covered CA, I would have stopped paying on the 14th of march 2016.
In other words I lost $786.97 going to Covered CA instead of buying directly through KAISER.
I would have expected this from a for profit insurance company but not from a government agency.
Bottom line: if you are not homeless and do not need help from the STATE, DO NOT BUY through COVERED CALIFORNIA.They will rip you off.

victoriab45
1/5/16

People in the office have no idea what they are doing.
For over two months we were given the run around between them and MEDICAL not sure which one was worse!!!!

johns1050
11/4/15

President Obama you are not helping low-income you are living check-to-check. What is this forcing citizens to get insurance and pay high fees when I can barely pay for rent and bills. President Obama you are pushing people like myself whose income is 800plus per month to fall below the safety net. I do not see how you are looking after people's health when insurance company can increase the cost anything they feel like. President Obama you can keep your Covered California and thank you for trying to make homeless or not afford to even buy food. NEGATIVE NEGATIVE NEGATIVE STAR

Tip for consumers: THIS IS UNJUST. I SHOULD NOT BE FORCED TO PAY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE THAT I CANNOT AFFORD AND THEN ON TOP OF THAT GET A FEE. I REALLY JUST FEEL LIKE IS TIME FOR PEOPLE TO START PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THE GOVERNMENT AND LARGE CORPORATION ARE DOING TO US. WE NEED TO HAVE CONTROL OF OUR GOVERMENT AND CORPORATION AFTER ALL WITHOUT US THEY WILL BE NOTHING POWERLESS. WE NEED TO HAVE EMPOWERMENT AND THE DAILY DECISIONS THAT ARE BEING MADE IN OUR NATION AND WITH OUT TAX MONEY. I AM TIRED LARGE CORPORATI

hardw5
7/16/15

It's a shame, force people to buy and pay
Fof a plan that no doctors accept.
Are we still living In A free country?
God bless Anerica

maryr91
5/11/15

I was forced to buy the Covered California Insurance when my current coverage was taken from me. Got a great price on $83.00 per month on what I thought was comparable insurance to my old policy. Finally, months after signing up I got my card and began looking around for doctors in the Blue Shield Network. Fancy that , all though I got a list of doctors in the Blue Shield network, none were in the Covered California Plan.

Blue Shield (BS) explained that they could not provide up to date information on all their doctors and it was up to me to call all of them to find who in my area was in the plan. Well BS seems to be able to track millions of subscribers but not thousands of doctors, makes sense to me, does it make sense to you.

BS has no doctors in the plan, they hide that by using a shell game providing their entire list of all medical staff in the system to prevent the obvious from being exposed.

Mary

tammyj11
3/10/15

SINCE THE AGENT FILLED OUT OUR FAMILY AGI WRONG WE NOW HAVE TO PAY BACK ALL THE ADVANCED PREMIUM TAX CREDIT WE GOT. WE NEVER GOT ASKED IF WE ONLY WANTED PART OF THE ADVANCED PREMIUM TAX CREDIT OR THE WHOLE THINGTHEY JUST DID IT. NEVER EXPLAINED THAT WHEN YOU GIVE THEM CHANGES YOU HAD TO TALK TO A PERSON. NOT JUST FAX YOUR CHANGES TO THEM. FOR THE MARKETPLACE TO DO NOTHING WITH THE INFORMATION. THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE SUCKS!! NOW I OWE THE IRS $7293.00 FOR WHICH WE DID EVEN GET THAT MUCH MEDICAL CARE FOR THE WHOLE YEAR FOR ALL OF US. WE WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF DOING NOTHING AND PAYING THE $285.00 TAX PENLTY FOR NOT HAVING INSURANCE.

sheris7
2/7/15

Do I really HAVE to give Covered CA one star? There should be NEGATIVE Stars! Most of the phone representatives are incompetent and cannot give a straight answer and like to "pass the buck". If I explained in detail all of the problems / issues, it would take all day to do so! The rep I spoke to yesterday just about interrogated me asking if I had proof that I applied for a specific plan through Covered CA. Um...I have the ID cards from that health plan and they have the Covered CA logo on them...is that enough? NO! Due to a Covered CA rep's mistake my insurance plan was TERMINATED, so now my family is w/out ins for the month of Feb and have to wait 'til March 1st. NO ONE at Covered CA is Capable of changing my start date, yet overnight it went from March 1st and me being enrolled in a plan to Jan 1st and me not being enrolled in a plan. I was NOT going to then choose a plan and pay for the month of Jan when I did not receive any medical services that month and the expected start date was supposed to be Feb 1, 2015. I had already paid my Feb premium, yet the health plan is sending a refund chk due to Covered CA telling them I wanted to terminate my plan...THIS IS NOT TRUE! This list goes on...and I am too tired AND DISGUSTED with the incompetent people at this CALL CENTER!!!

johnd286
9/17/14

I signed up for medi-cal through covered CA in May 2014 for a family member who is confined to a skilled nursing home. She has used up all of her medicare, and will be out of private funds in October. The first application was done on line through covered CA and was lost due to a "glitch" in their on line system. I then mailed a second application priority mail with a signature required. This was lost and they could not even tell me who the person was who signed for the envelope.
I then applied a third time, on the phone, in August and was told today by calling the assigned case worker that she has a pile of applications on her desk that she hasn't even started that are dated Jan. 2014, 8 months old. She gave me no hope that our case would get any special attention due to their losing the form or their system being broken or not enough case workers to effectively get the cases done in a timely manner. I have spend numerous hours on the phone trying to zig zag through their inefficient phone tree, on line, going out to the main office, with no productive results. Is the affordable health care act system broken, YES. Don't let anyone con you into thinking otherwise.

nancyv8
10/10/13

The day finally came for me to get affordable health care but the website for some reasons did not accept my application and it is very confusing. The individual and family button went nowhere and the shop and compare tool didn't even work. I couldn't enter the number of children on to the site. The See my options button didn't work. This is obamacare??? This is the most confusing thing ever. For those of you who also hate this website, I have the pdf form here, just go to this link and print it out and then call them. https://www.coveredca.com/PDFs/English/paper_application/CA-SingleStreamApp_66MAX_092713.pdf

Questions? Get answers from the Covered California staff and other customers.

Covered California?