ConnectionsAcademy reviews

Baltimore, MD 21202
Tel: 800-382-6010

buzm
12/12/17

My daughter has attended CA for 8th and into the ninth grade. She was doing okay with the Junior High class but going into high school she has really taken a turn for the worst. I am not a parent that thinks my kid can do no wrong, but in this case this school just plan sucks! my daughter was a strait A student going into this school and she is now leaving this school as an F student! This school will harass you regularly while they are up for their government funding but as soon as that all in they disappear...... No joke they won't return phone calls the administrative will LIE to you and promise they will do their JOB but won't do s***! This is the worst experience I have EVER had with any educational institution! They harassed me daily to wright them a review the first month of school so I wrote them a very nice one and thats the ONLY possible way ANYONE would write them a nice review! THEY SHOULD LOSS ALL FUNDING AND BE SHUT DOWN! Nothing but a BS scam!!!!!!!! This is a review for the Utah CA, I do not know if they are better in other states.

jillw57
12/7/17

I've been going to CA for 6 years and I would say it's probably one of the worst schools to sign up for.

I'm a competitive athlete so I require the necessary time and flexibility.
CA doesn't provide this whatsoever.

The amount of work that is presented is absurd. I have legitimately shown my two friends (I only have two friends, and they're both in my athletic career. I will get to why I don't have more friends later.) who are COLLEGE students and one of them had their eyes blown wide and mouth slack by the amount of work I was required to do. (The other was shocked, but her schedule is complicated due to the distance she must travel to actually get to school, so technically, her vote didn't really say much.)
I'm doing the bare minimum of 4 courses, 2 of those are AP. Now, it doesn't help that my parents are disappointed if I get an A and not an A+ (I'm not joking, I told my mother once that I got all A's and she told me to "try harder next time."), so this represents the pressure I am under to do well.
You should be aware that 3/4 of my courses have 2 assignments per lesson, and MOST of my assignments are essays/portfolios. They have back-to-back essays/projects/portfolios in a row with no stop in the AP courses. I've had people tell me that actual school isn't this hard.
Now, I leave my house at 6-7 to go train get back home around 1-3 or even as late as 4. Best and tbh most common scenario is that I'm home by 1. However, I am so exhausted by this point that I can't even focus.
But it doesn't matter, if I sit at my computer from 7am-10pm, chances are I will only have done 2 lessons that day.

Before I continue, I want to just list some things about the school directly that I've grown to despise:
They got rid of the option to email other students (okay, that may be a distraction but, I'll admit, this is the student's own fault, but this doesn't mean you should delete the option to communicate to other students entirely).
Live Lessons, which half of the ones you take are required, drag on for an HOUR... sure, the teacher will work through stuff you will see in your lessons, but it's a genuine complete waste of time.
"At your own pace" my ass. If you get behind in one subject by not doing a lesson, you cannot skip ahead to the next lesson (in the same subject). Do you see how this could be a problem? Especially you have 4-7 lessons everyday and they give you back-to-back essays for the entire semester? Nobody, absolutely no one has the tolerance for this.
There are so many errors. I've come across tests where 5-7/30 questions are incorrect. And I kid you not, there have been times where material you need to learn for an assessment in one lesson can be found in the next lesson or unit... like, seriously, WHAT IN THE ACTUAL ****? This has happened on more than one occasion.
There is so much information and things to do packed into each lesson that it's all convoluted and doesn't help in actually helping you accomplish the assessment by the end. The info given to you is taught poorly and almost useless in order for you to answer quizzes/tests.
CBA's - you HAVE TO call your teacher once during the semester so that they can quiz you and so that you receive credit for your grade. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS, YOU WILL GET A 0... WHAT!!!!??? These CBAs (and I'm not lying) are the reason why I get panic attacks answering a phone call. I refuse to answer phone numbers I don't know, and whenever I'm speaking to someone (unless its my parents), I break out into a sweat and I start to shake. Pointless.
To be fair, I've been lucky in that a lot of the teachers are pretty cool, but some of them are awful... but you get that everywhere you go.

I'm going to be honest: It's gotten to the point where I am pressed for time and I'm pushed to forgo much of the lesson material, go straight to the assignment, need outside help for answers, and then go back if need be. I did an experiment, and 8/10 times the lesson material does not aid in the assignment. You have much better luck teaching yourself by just looking up all that crap on the internet.

This design has practically destroyed my self-esteem, my relationship with my mom, and my well-being during college because I'm learning absolutely nothing because of the curriculum.
I'm not academically smart, I struggle with math to an intensive degree, but I've been considered bright, but this school breaks all my knowledge on everything.

Please, do not go to CA.

Tip for consumers: It's insanely difficult and not worth your time. You don't get anything out of this.

professore
12/5/17

My daughter is new to Connections Academy this fall. It took until the beginning of DECEMBER for her to get her books in the mail !! The teachers are supposed to be available for students to ask questions, but they never are. Only one of her 6 teachers will even respond to emails, and sometimes it can take 3-4 days for a reply. We had to sign up for IXL.com so my daughter could learn the math lessons, since Connections does NOT TEACH her anything. The math teacher simply replies with "I cannot help you". How is that TEACHING??! We have notified the school that she will be dropping out of this terrible place at the end of December. I'll homeschool her. I would give Connections a ZERO if I could. IXL.com does a great job teaching math, I'll stick with that.

sc3774
12/5/17

This is the 3rd year that my daughter has attended CA. Her brick and mortar school only had a gifted class for her once a week and the rest of the week, she was completely bored. The teachers would have her tutor other students instead of challenging her. We had no other option but to grade skip and that would have put my tiny 9 year old in a middle school which I did not want. That wouldn't have been good socially for her. Now, she can work in gifted courses that challenge her and keep her interest. This was the perfect solution for her. She has never been this happy in school and says that she will never go back to brick and mortar public schools. It works for us and I don't understand all these negative reviews. My daughter works 5 hours a day on schoolwork and seems to keep up and get it all finished. However, she is a self motivated student and will just sit down and do the work that is required so that she may have the rest of the day for herself. If she has something to go to or plans with a friend,she will work ahead on schoolwork so that she can take a day off to spend with friends. So happy to have this for her and I wish they'd have had this when I was younger.

sugarkookiess
11/29/17

I am a student in Connections Academy and have been going there for about 5 years now since 4th grade. I am now a 8th grade student, last year I was starting to get really annoyed with this school, and now I am completely finished with it.

(Long "rant" ahead)

What is wrong with this school:

1. The "Keep at your pace policy"

This is an absolute LIE. Keep at your own pace is meaning, finish all these lessons that are packed with information in a few days to be free for a week if you have something planned. They expect you to finish every single course on a certain date, and expect you to be on a certain lesson at the end of the week. Which means you can either be behind or ahead. The teachers even give you temporary zeros. They are temporary which means once you complete an assessment it will replace it with the grade. But while those temporary zeros are standing, your grades are NOTHING. I, being a straight a student for the past few years and also in the honors society this is extremely stressful for me.

2. The excessive amount of work
The average requirement is to spend 6 or 5 hours on your work which is normal for a homeschooled kid. You wake up, at lets say 7:30 or 8:00 and begin to do your work. In about 5 or 6 hours it will be almost around noon or past it. Which is perfect because then you have a full day ahead of you. No, that is not the case here. They give you so much work, from all the work sheets you have to complete, notes you have to take, live lessons which was REQUIRED (if you are a 8th grade student Science is required but I shall talk about this later) They also give you study guides and other things you have to look at. Along with, you have an extra curriculum activity. I am in junior national honors society and am required to do volunteer work (Which I wont complain about. I love doing volunteer work) but, all in all, with the long lessons and so much stress put on the students shoulders. Realistically you get finished with school around 5 or even later.
3. Live Lessons
Live lessons can help, it helps you get in contact with them, but the teachers are also not very helpful. They grade your work for you but live lessons are stressful as well. They pack in so much information; you HAVE to take notes because it will be vital for the STAAR tests and the courses, in which they go too quickly. I cant even type fast enough in Microsoft word to catch the information. Much less write with my messy hand writing.
Science live lessons (8th grade)
The science live lessons this year are REQUIRED. Why? Because all the information the teachers give out you have to memorize for the STAAR test. This is a lot of information, meaning that the course itself is utterly useless for your success on the STAAR. This is a stressful time for me because, you have to memorize information that isnt even in the original course, and you have to pass the science STAAR test to go to 9th grade. Stressful? Yes very.
4. Parents
I am honestly not happy with my relationship with my parents. In this school learning coaches have to monitor mostly everything. My mother helps me and a lot of the time, we fight, she screams at me when I cant do something right in my school work, and believes I skip through the lessons. Which some work that seems unnecessary to me, I do. But back to what I was saying. I dont remember the last time I had a normal conversation with my parents that didnt involve the following:
1. School
2. Arguing about school
And then usually we just dont talk at all. I feel like when I was in public school our house hold was less stressful. Now it feels usually tense, and with more and more work piling up as I get to high school I dont think it will get any better.
5. Modifications
There are constant modifications in the courses which gets TIRING. The modifications sometimes drop an assignment or assessment but others give you just more work or even modify a project. Seeing as there are CONSTANT modifications in the course makes me wonder cant they just tweak the course? All these modifications everywhere are very stressful for me and other students to catch up with, because you can easily miss them as well. This means if you do, they dont even give you a grade on the work you did. They tell you to re-do it again with the modified project. Here is a story ~
Story time (8th grade art):
This happened just recently. I was doing a political statement portfolio (which I will talk about later) . I am ahead of my students due to the Houston ISD being flooded by Hurricane Harvey. (Which I will also discuss later) I started doing lessons early but I could not send any assessments because the year didnt start. During the October month I was doing a portfolio which I worked VERY hard on, with my drawing and the evaluation questions. I sent it and my teacher didnt even give me some credit for the work I did! I had to re-do the portfolio because there was no modification when I was doing the lesson. Complete waste of my time and hard effort.
6. Lessons
Now what I find annoying is that you cant complete a lesson that is before another lesson. Meaning if you are behind you cant complete other lessons assessment which is stressful when you have overdue lessons which pile up due to this. Now to the Hurricane Harvey situation, I understand that there was much damage for many people. But does that mean I cant do school when the date of opening was starting? Not at all, I had to wait 5 weeks to begin my classes, and systems werent even down. I started doing lessons but could not send assessments which usually left me very confused. I want to say that because of this. 2 day lessons with much information are turned into 1 day lessons and there are more modifications than usual. Students are required to finish things faster and it is harder to keep up. Instead they could allow you to even work, even if hurricane Harvey was in motion. The teachers can grade things later of course. I just felt that starting later is completely unnecessary.
7. Red alarm
There is an alarm, if you do not complete lessons for a while (Which my alarm turned red on Thanksgiving break. Like really?) Or the red alarm shows up if you do not have contact with your teachers for a while. Which means you have to call your teachers, work your butt off to finish lessons to get that red alarm out of the way.
8. Not understandable information
This is just a small problem I have experienced, such as in math, or educational technology. Some of the information, the sentence lay out, and the way they explain it does not understand. Or maybe its just me on this part. But I sometimes have to go online so they can give me clearer explanation.
9. Benchmark / LEAP
Please do not even start with me on this. They always give you two big tests, that I guess resemble the STAAR, or is a practice in a way. And it has about 50 to even more questions. They expect you to get it done, on top of all your other lessons which is stupid. Why does a online homeschool even have STAAR? It seems pointless since you are teaching at home anyways.
10. The set up / Unknowledgeable teachers
There are always glitches in the system, and that I cant open certain links in this certain browser. Or it slows down my computer which can potentially make me lose all my work. Or a answer that I marked all of a sudden moved and it give me a wrong answer. I recently have a big test in my science (8th grade class) and cannot open the book that is required for me to read. I webmail my teacher asking if she could send me the link and she comes back with I cant have any copy right violations if I send you the text, please call text support which means. She did not understand what I asked. I simply asked for the link to the text in the webmail because I could NOT access it, because the information is vital to this test. Without it I dont know any of the answers to the questions they are asking. Then they begin to discuss information about it in the live lessons. We discussed part one already but I have to wait till next week to complete the test because we are discussing part 2 of the information next week. THIS MEANS, I cannot complete any of my other science lessons and I will have many overdue.
11. Misleading Questions
I constantly get misleading questions. This is especially in my History course. The book, and lesson say one thing and the test says another thing is correct. How? I usually also get questions that WERENT even discussed in my lesson that day. For example my math course asked a question about compound interest when we only talked about simple interest.
12. Stupid and repeating courses
This is getting really long, so this will be my last topic. But I hate the educational technology course. They teach me grammar (?) yes grammar, when they are SUPPOSED to teach me how to use a computer and programs properly. They asked questions about topics that arent even related to the course itself. And when I speak and voice this to my teacher, they said we combine lessons no. I want to beg to differ because each subject is different. There is no combining lesson. That makes the student more confused.
Small rant about certain lessons:
(This only applies for 8th grade)
Science (8th grade)
I am done with this course is all I can say. Currently they have you go to each and EVERY single live lesson which is a hours day away. You must go because a lot of information is needed on the STAAR test and for the course. Which is not only stressful but completely stupid, if there are problems with the course that do not cover information that is needed for us to succeed this year in our exams which can either break us or make us. CHANGE THE COURSE INFORMATION. Be a actual school, think logically, team up with these science teachers who are giving all these stupid modifications and live lessons to go through the course and change things. Its a lot of work but in the end it will be easier for us ALL.
Educational Technology (8th grade)
Educational Technology like I spoke about previously is misleading. It always confuses me and the portfolios sometimes dont make sense but thats just me. But my teacher, is completely unknowledgeable. I voiced MY opinion about the crossing different subjects with lessons and he spoke back about the literature and ed tech lesson. Saying it was because they cross subjects over. Yet he couldnt even spell or have normal grammar in his webmail. And yet he was teaching educational technology. The lessons say another thing and the test says another.
History (8th grade)
Me and my father, who is a history geek, have had problems with the social studies course since 7th grade. We went back and forth with the teachers. The course was awful. It was so biased and tried to brain wash your children constantly. I cannot stand it. I am not even learning about normal history anymore. I want to learn about topics that arent biased.

This is the end of my rant and something to keep an insight on
Please dont go here
I hope to be able to find a normal Homeschool that is better
If you want your child to be at school 24/7 come and join so many others are Connexus

johnm1234
11/28/17

Man bro this school is complete garbage the work is garbage i hate it this is the worst year of my life and i just feel so lonely now a days and im sad. Dont sign ur kids up for this BS. If i could give 0 stars i would.

zackh25
11/27/17

this is so bad... literally you cannot work at your own pace and you HAVE TO FINISH an assignment and cannot skip this. all the teachers there are $#*! and they just give you so much information and you're eventually going to get stressed out. my 16 year old has changed so much because of this brainwashing website.

gladysf2
11/14/17

I have two children currently at NC Connections Academy. I have expressed concern with the overload of schoolwork and/or communications that seems to be new this year. My honors student is struggling to keep pace and the stress from the volume of information has me exploring other curriculum paths. I intend to keep my son in for the time being since he has some modifications due to special education and he needs to get a curriculum from another source (not me; otherwise we just argue about why he has to do it)... but for my 8th grade daughter I am ready to quit. The teachers assign so much work. They make up for not having a textbook in science by webmailing excessive information (her teacher LITERALLY sent 37 pages in multiple document attachments today in ONE webmail). I have emailed the principal three times but have heard nothing back. I dont know why the changes have taken place. My kids loved Connections last year. This year the stress level in our home to keep up with the work means we have one foot out the door.

ek206
11/14/17

Hello. I hope everyone is doing well on this cold, fall day. I am here to write a protest review for GACA. I do not want to offend anyone by saying that I am quite disappointed in this school as a 6th grader doing GT Math, Science, and ELA. This school has helped me learn immensely, and I am very thankful for that. I have 3 quite amazing and very nice teachers. However, what the ads say about "Work at Your Own Pace", is incorrect, and misleading.

I am behind, my only excuse for this is the work load. I read some reviews, and I totally agree with Taylor A. In my now 3rd year at GACA, I can confidently state that not including the USA TestPrep tests we are supposed to take, or the GA Milestones, I have completed a Unit Test with 30 total questions, 6 of which were long, and confusing essay questions. While I can say that I despise these essay questions, this, to me, was absolutely ridiculous! We are required to complete these kinds of long tests in 30-45 mins, and rarely 1 hr.

Now, writing this as a 6th grader, I think that it is really weird to expect us as students to complete multiple portfolios that are very long, and difficult in 2 days. This means, technically 2 hrs.

Granted, this is not a school for those who think that they can sit back and relax, and have the school work done for them, however, in looking at the bigger picture, I have noticed that the school work load just gets MUCH bigger and bigger every year. This school is for those who don't mind working on school work until 10:00 or 11:00 at night, on weekends, not being able to have some personal time, and doing school work on holidays. I don't want this to happen you, so please, for your own good, I advise for you NOT to enroll in this school. I have noticed that I have been becoming increasingly more stressed out about school, and my responsibilities.

So please, don't enroll in this school, and be able to have a wonderful, and stress-free day! :-) I do not want everyone to have to carry this overly-extensive work load! I understand that I cannot speak for everyone else when I say this, (The Review Guidelines are very helpful.) I do NOT suggest this school!

I want everyone to be stress-free, and have free time for anything you want! :-) Have a wonderful day!

abigailw11
11/12/17

I am 11 years old, and I do all 7th grade thigns, but the ads say ''Work ast your own pace''. Well, if you say that, why lie? 1st of all, way way way to stressful, I'm constantly taking So many notes, and each lesson takes too long. 2nd, they say ''work at your own pace'', but really what they mean is get 3 science and social studies lessons done a day along eith your other ones so that you get 60% done by November. Really? They want you to have 60% of the science course, along with the science one too! This is way too stressful for kids, DO NOT go here! ughhhhh

lupea4
11/9/17

But giving it till the end of the year. I think. Last year was better. Better curriculum, the books seem to be all over the place........,.....................

lanahm
11/7/17

I have been in this program for almost two years now and I absolutely hate it. It is incredibly stressful for me and I feel like they pile way too much work onto you at once. The program says it is flexible but to me, it is not at all. Unless you want to work all the way through the night to get all your work done to not worry about falling behind. I mean if you can do that. I have fallen behind twice in this program and I have been working my butt off trying to catch up as much as possible, and that is with me not having any dance or extracurricular activity after or during school. I would 100% not recommend this to anyone. I would not want you to go through all of this pain and suffering.

tomm1384
11/7/17

Awesome school! Aswome teachers and staff. Teaches my daughter and son everything! Best school ever!

mightyr
11/6/17

I HATE HOW ONE SECOND YOU'RE A DUDE. YOU GO TO CONNECTIONS ACADEMY, THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN I'M A GIRL!!!!! I DO NOT WANT TO CLEAN THE KITCHEN AND VACUUME MY CARPET!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S WHAT A WOMAN'S JOB IS FOR!!!!!! THANKS A LOT CONNECTIONS, NOW I HAVE TO HAVE KIDS AND GET SPANKED BY A DEADBEAT HUSBAND FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE TIL I GET OLD AND DIE.

tiffanyb87
11/2/17

Entirely too much work to get through on a daily basis. You are always rushed and I do not feel like my daughter is learning anything.

anony420
10/27/17

My family has been with Ca since my oldest was in first grade. It was a great program and I happily recommended it to everyone I talked to. I cannot recommend it for Elementary students any longer. While the teachers are fantastic, the curriculum is not! They have changed the curriculum in Math and ELA so drastically. It no longer is helpful to the students! Math focuses on one concept for two units, teaching a multitude of methods for simple adding and subtracting. The quizzes and tests are designed to confuse a student rather than test their actual knowledge. If one method works for a student, then why should he or she learn 10 ways to do it that will just confuse him or her in the long run. The ELA focuses on videos and online practices. There is no longer an LC guide to allow the Learning Coach to teach their students. The school wants these videos and online practices to teach the student. They no longer encourage writing practice and reading comprehension skills. Stories are supposed to be listened to...I strongly suggest choosing a different program or straight homeschooling. I am not sure my family will be back next year.

Recently, after a complaint I made about the new curriculum, I felt as if I was told this is how it was going to be now and either get on board or leave...We'll definitely be leaving next school year and checking out other options for my children. This is not the only option available to us and CA needs to realize this.

Also, the lack of communication from the school and teachers this year has been astonishing. The teachers used to be very good at communicating, but not anymore.

adadawdaw
10/24/17

I currently attends this school! The teachers are fantastic and always respond within minutes! All these bad reviews are crap! NOT a school for someone who thinks that since theyre at home they just dont have school!

nicholask27
10/10/17

I am a student in Oregon Connections Academy. There is a problem with this service, that applies mostly to math, but sometimes happens with all classes. There is a stupid thing called "worked" where you submit non multiple-choice answers by typing them or submitting a file. IT NEVER WORKS. When I submit answers, the teacher will get back to mw with "oops, looks like it wasn't working, try again!" or something dumb like that, and count all of my answers wrong. I am failing a class that would've been easy if it weren't for this BS

Tip for consumers: DO NOT EVER ENROLL YOUR CHILD IN THIS SERVICE. IT IS A WAASTE OF TIME AND A CONSTANT STRESS

taylora33
10/10/17

I'm a Senior in high school and I've been using Connections since 9th grade and it is simply the worst. They do not let you go at your own pace and when you ask them about that policy, they say that there's a due date on the assignments. Correct me if I'm wrong but that doesn't sound like 'at your own pace' to me. I understand that things have to be turned in to receive a grade, but you mean to tell me that I have a project, a unit test with essay questions, and several regular lessons with long book readings due by tomorrow? What logic is that? It seems that the go at your own pace policy only applies to those that are ahead. Also, even if they notice that you're falling behind, they won't give you any help, or the only "help" they give you is reminding you that you're behind. The many portfolio projects can be long and can even cost you money. I am honestly disappointed with my entire high school experience with Connections.

mrsg5
10/10/17

My child will not return next year! These teachers accused my child of cheating but they have no proof or facts to back up their claims. When my child is working I am in the room with her monitoring what she is doing to make sure she doesn't cheat. The teachers ignore my emails, especially Mr. Harrison. I've observed the live lessons and they are a waste if time. There really is much learning going on. If you look at Google reviews for Arkansas Connections Academy they deleted 5 reviews made by students and parents and replaced them with reviews by the staff and faculty. Their originally score was 2.8/5 now it is a 4.8/5. This school is very shady and I am overall getting a bad vibe from this school. My daughter is in the 10th grade. She participates in class, went on a couple of field trips (which were a waste if time and only put her behind in class), and she helped organize study groups. Yet! The teacher are ignoring her and accusing her of academic dishonesty. Overall a bad school and it has only made my daughter's anxiety worse. They wrote had referral letters to this school she was interested in. What is the point of writing a referral letter if it is going to be bad. I feel like the teacher don't care enough. The only good teachers are Mark Reider and Melissa Curiel, everyone else acts weird and kinda hostile towards me and my daughter.

erikandhollyo
10/2/17

I have a fifth grader enrolled in MI Connections Academy. I am glad to see that others have issues with this establishment. Well, not glad, but relieved that I am not alone. Live lessons are pretty much pointless! I am basically doing the work a regular classroom teacher would do. I am explaining information, helping with problems and keeping her on task. The teacher involvement is next to none. I could have just as easily bought some textbooks and went through it all with her.
If you were a parent that has difficulty with math, then the child would suffer. This is due to the lack of information and new math techniques used today. Many of us were taught math differently than what is expected today.
They state that parents should spend about 6 hours with their child, which we regularly do. The problem is that 4 to 5 classes may be covered in that time frame. Throw in two useless live lessons and you just spent 8 hours doing school. I might as well have had my child back in public school. Very frustrated with this establishment. I will definitely not be re-enrolling my child next year!!!

veronicar37
9/26/17

My daughter recently enrolled into connections academy because she was tried of public schools my daughters been an straight A student and when she tends to get a B she completely spazes out , continue the story well I took my daughter out of public school and put her into Connections Academy and it was the WORST ! In the beginning it was ok I had contact with the teachers and I thought everything was going well my daughter would wake up stay at home and work she liked it so I did and it wasnt until one day I came home from work and founded my daughter starting to spaz our once again I asked her what happened she said she has Ds Fs and overdue assignments I said that cant be I quickly grabbed the laptop and looked at her grades and it was true I asked her why is it that is it harder and she said they give her test on things she did not learn and when she submits an assignment it comes up as not submited and when she tries to do it again it says that she dose not have access to it I immediately grabbed my house phone and called the school teachers and the tech support but they did NOT get back to me until the next week i completely went off on all of them my daughter is galdly back in regular school and for the distraction she keeps her self busy DO NOT put your kid into connections academy I am very sure there are different and better home schools connexus is NOT one

kiarenh
9/22/17

My story is too long to tell it all, but I have 3 children now enrolled in Ohio Connections and I regret this daily!!! I never claimed that any of my children were "geniuses" but all four of my children ate extremely bright. With the curriculum and the absence of teaching, my daughter's self-confidence has plummeted!!! Because I withdrew my children's enrollment in ECOT later in the year, my kids fell way behind, and it seems as though its impossible for them to catch up without completely overloading themselves with work. It was suggested by a teacher, that they add an extra hour or two daily and work on the weekends to get caught up!!! You as a teacher, don't even work the weekends!!!! I'm disgusted with this school, if you should even call it that!!! Its simply a program for the rich family that has stay at home parents and no life outside of SCHOOL!! I DEFINITELY SONT BE BACK NEXT YEAR!

annes132
9/21/17

I spent countless hours getting my daughter enrolled. I was advised by the assistant principle Patrick O'Neal that my daughter was not allowed to attend their school since she was dually registered at Legend High School and Connections Academy. I told him that I was advised by one of the enrollment people to keep my daughter registered at Legend until all the paperwork had been completed. Then I was informed that the Mapleton School was full but that they could enroll me in the Durango School. So I submitted all of the paperwork again. I then received a call from the Counselor with my daughters classes. I asked Bailey the counselor if I should give Legend a call letting them know that my daughter was approved and she indicated yes. I was going to reach out to them today since I heard from her last night. My daughter wanted to change a few of her classes so I reached out to the counselor Bailey indicating what classes my daughter was wanting to switch around. That's when I got the bomb shell. She indicated my daughter was not accepted because she was dually registered with both schools. What a joke. I did what I was supposed to do and guess who has to pay the price. As a business owner I cannot believe the chaos that goes on with this school!

michellem329
9/15/17

Last year, we transferred our daughter from ECOT to Connections Academy as we were advised they offered a much better curriculum for advanced students. We were extremely happy with their curriculum and teachers - truly, over the roof! This year, the curriculum changed. It's BEYOND HORRIBLE. There is no segue between what was taught last year to this year. No common connection between lesson plans - it's very disorganized, all over the place. The material being taught is all grouped together. (i.e. First week of Math: Triple digit adding w/regrouping, subtracting (w/regrouping), multiplication, and division were all taught in one single lesson.) Yes, ALL forms of math in one lesson after leaving the second grade with being taught the basic knowledge of adding and subtracting double digit numbers. Aside from being a mental overload, it's imperative for students to have a concrete understanding of one form of math before advancing to the next. That's just common sense. But that's not the worst of it. So far, many of their quizzes and tests that had been given involved material which wasn't covered in the lesson plan or taught in a Live Lesson, or the questions were very vague or subjective. With so few questions on a quiz or test (often only 3 on a quiz), one wrong answer can easily give a student a D. So, here is my daughter, who has always been an A student, gives 100% with her lesson plans but now receives D's on her work due to material that wasn't taught or subjective. She strives to be an A student and has always proudly obtained that, but with Connections Academy, it's now coming down to luck due to a curriculum that has been hastily put together. Learning has always come easy for her, and she'll hopefully pull off an overall decent grade despite their poorly designed curriculum (IF she continues the year at Connections Academy), but I couldn't imagine how rough it would be for a student who struggles with learning. Their new curriculum is designed to set students up for confusion, overload, and failure.

So, my advice to anyone considering Connections Academy, if you have a great student, expect lower grades. If you have a student who finds learning difficult, consider another online school. Connections Academy will only accomplish adding unnecessary stress for your child and will be a detriment to his or her overall education.

do not put your child in this program i hate it i switched to connexus i could get more time in the gym and work out i used to spend five hours in the gym in normal school but now im only limited to one hour a day because i have so much work.the teachers never respond and its horrible they dont help me and when im at gym they call then i cant i pick up so they call my parents who are at work and will get in trouble if on there phones. i hate tis school and everyone in it and your kids will to so DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

By MAYA K.

On track isn't for the grades, it's for attendance. If you're on track, you're logging enough attendance hours and you're "on track" to finish high school with the required hours. (900-990) If you start to log less hours, you get off "on track" and get on "alarm status", if you go beyond that and are absent for 2+ months for example you're accused of truancy and you're kicked out.

By Miss P.

If there isn't deadlines, then some kids wouldn't get their work done. for my daughter, for subjects that she excels in, she will spend the majority of her day on that subject which means she will be ahead. She will get behind on some subjects but with being ahead on her best subjects, it gives her time to concentrate on those she doesn't get as quickly. Flexibility is wonderful, some days she will get many hours in and then other days, she doesn't work as much, gives her a little break. On nights when she can't sleep, she will get up and do a lesson or two.. When going to brick schooling, you have to go at the pace the teacher tells you to, classes are a certain amount long, and you must take the test when teacher says, you get docked for being late and so on. it is easy to get behind but we have learned that it is OK to be behind, it is nothing to stress about, just pace your self, take your time and get a head on subjects that you are good at. it's nice when at the end of the year with a week or two left of school and you get to plan your own school day because your work is all done. Also, you can work through the scheduled vacation days and take those days off at a later time.I think some people make this school harder than it is. School isn't suppose to be easy... For my daughter, a day might look like doing three language arts and two science lessons in one day, she usually logs in about 6-8 hours for that day depending on what is involved. She doesn't click on every link, she knows what works and doesn't work for her. The next day, she can concentrate on subjects that she struggles with such as math. her schedule will post over due subjects, but it really isn't that big of a deal since she is ahead on her good subjects. A lot of lessons are recorded as a two day lesson so she won;t be behind on those. You just have to figure out what works and doesn't work. Her first year was a bit of a struggle but between the two of us, we figured it out and now as a freshmen, she know what to expect. this will be her 5th year with Ohio Connections and we will see what happens with high school........

By Georgetta v.

I agree with Jill S. Side-note: supplies are usually quick to arrive.

By Miss P.

I think it is a 60 percent.

By Georgetta v.

I have had a daughter switch from connections to bricks and mortar. As long as you are not switching mid semester, there shouldn't be a problem. In Indiana it is the same as switching any other public school. My daughter switched back to connections and had no problems then either.

By Mayme H.

Yes. it might show up that you are behind but nothing to stress about. As long as you are done with everything by midnight of the last day of semester. just let your teachers know that you are going to be absent and you can mark it on the attendance

By Georgetta v.

Yes, the counselors will work to put your son on a plan so that he can graduate with all of his credits.

By Miss P.

There are 2 semesters each year. So, if you were to finish semester 1 3 months early, you could get a head-start on semester 2. However, I'm not sure if they allow students to go onto the next grade, and if they did, the student would have to take an exam to prove mastery in whatever courses they are skipping.

By Miss P.
Questions? Get answers from the ConnectionsAcademy staff and other customers.

ConnectionsAcademy?