ConnectionsAcademy reviews

Tel: 800-382-6010
abazin@connectionsacademy.com

toddf73
8/10/18

My son was enrolled at Oklahoma Connections Academy's online school the past school year. Their Connexus system software that is used for assessments (Quizzes, Skill Check's, Tests, etc.) had issues since the beginning of the school year (2017). The scores he received on the assessments that he turned in would have discrepancies. He might get a 100%, and it would show up in their system as a 50%, 0%, etc., and sometimes it wouldn't even show up as having been done at all. My mother is a retired elementary school educator (still currently certified), and she monitored him, ensuring academic honesty. She has been the primary witness of these discrepancies. However, I have also witnessed my son taking these assessments from beginning to end, only to see at least one show up as a different and lower grade in their system. My daughter who is currently an 18-year-old college student with honors has even witnessed answers changing on their own in front of her eyes after my son hit the button to submit the grade. When we called about it in September of 2017, we were told by their tech. support department that this has been happening to others, as well.

We then began taking pictures and screenshots of every grade that was sent. There are so many, that they haven't even graded everything from the autumn semester (2017) as of today (8/10/18), and they say they won't take any more picture evidence to replace the improper grades with. This had happened all year, but in the spring semester, they claimed that my son had been cheating, because they say they can see SOME (Most of the ones I've seen don't even have that.) screenshots with 2 tabs of the same test open. This is due to him sometimes accidentally double-clicking instead of clicking, which causes a second test tab to be open. The staff from their tech support are now claiming they have never heard of this happening to anyone else, despite some of their staff saying in the past that this has been happening to others, bad reviews (https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/connectionsacademy.com?page=3&rating=1#reviews) of people on sites pointing out that it has happened to them, and other schools using the Connexus software that admits it is glitchy. The vice principal said that it was the word of the math teacher to not accept any more multiple choice remediation (Their "work at your own pace" policy says they will accept it.). The math teacher told me it was the word the vice principal. When I called the principal, she said it was the word of the vice principal and herself. It seems audacious for them to claim we are lying and cheating when they aren't honest with us.

Our lawyers have even appealed to their administration on our behalf, but there is no legal precedent for your school to have any academic honesty.

We will not be continuing enrollment or be referring people to their school the way we did in the autumn semester. We will, however, actively suggest people never enroll their children in this school, as they are dishonest and claim the family is, probably due to wanting to save face about their growing number of technological problems. They have claimed my son was cheating even when they have no proof, and even in the face of proof (screenshots) showing that we have been honest.

Don't enroll your children in this school, so it doesn't end up destroying the confidence of even more students.

jeant70
7/23/18

This program is for independent learning online WITH THE HELP OF PARENTS and the online teachers.
The program is great for students who are FOCUSED ON EDUCATION not expecting to roll out of bed and make an A.
Home school is not for everyone.
I love it because I can go into the lessons with my child and see what activities are available and how to help.
No parent should ever depend on their kids to roll out of bed turn on computer and with little or no effort demand an A.
Not one parent confessed they were involved with the lessons they complain about.

nolynp
7/18/18

I am a now 7th grader who went to this school 4th grade to 6th grade and HATED IT.

The school was ok around 4th but once I got into 5th and 6th it was garbage.

There are these "Lessons" called "LiveLessons" which are the teacher and some kids in a Adobe room thing on the computer. All the kids get in and the teacher "Teaches" stuff likes you are in a real classroom. Some times while in these I saw a lot of students just being disruptive and I thought I was learning nothing out of these. One of the students swore in the LL's chat and the teacher did basically nothing about it. Oh, I forgot to say that there is a thing called the "Chat Pod" and it's like a chat for all the students and almost every time I had a LL it had to be taken away because of disruptive kids.

Now onto the teachers. I went into a LL once and my first impression of a teacher was her trying to turn her webcam off to turn her microphone volume up. I only liked 2 teachers, one being the SS teacher who was pretty chill and nice and the P.E teacher who was pretty nice also. All the other teacher my mom didn't like and whenever they took a long time to grade my stuff the excuse was "I have a lot of students.", this only really applied to my art teacher who had us to college to grade. The other teachers just basically had our class to grade.

Now onto the lessons. The lessons in this school contain of 6 parts, the bits that teach you info and the bits that say "Read these books we gave you!" in a way. When you get to the "Assessment" it is usually around 3-4 questions on the "Quick Checks" and on quizzes its around 9-10 (Mostly always 10 questions). It is very easy to cheat in this school, they tell you not to but really you can inspect element the page to get the answer out of the code. Super Easy. I have only done this once and there was WEBSITES upon WEBSITES with full answer sheets to tests, quizzes and more. They never took these websites down or did ANYTHING about them. You get about 5 to 4 lessons a day and they are all different subjects. Sometimes you might get a "Portfolio" which is a project you have to do like homework in a way. These are sometimes, "Science Experiments", Math Papers, Microsoft Word and more presentations, and more. The only ones I had "fun" with were the Social Studies ones sometimes. They were ok and kinda enjoyable. Once I went on a vacation for at least 7 days and got 20-22 lessons all piled up. I would say like 5% was Portfolios, 15% Quick Checks, around like 3-4 Tests and some quizzes. They all took about 2 weeks to complete, way more than my 7 day vacation.

Around every Friday you have to go in a call with your homeroom teacher where you have to have a webcam and microphone on so the teacher can see and hear you. Sometimes they will ask stupid questions and one time they tried to make me do math papers once I got a few questions wrong. The live lessons are required or sometimes optional, they last around 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes.

In the end I felt like I didn't like this school and my mom didn't like how it was run at all.

This school is stupid in all and the teachers suck. Sometimes they make excuses for not grading, and the lessons are easily cheat able and they do nothing. It seems like some kids that go to this school (Like the one I mentioned who swore) come from family that don't care what they do and aren't parented right. Avoid this school and just go to a real one.

Tip for consumers: Find another online school and read other bad reviews like mine. The good reviews are obv lies.

lg110
7/10/18

I was suppose to finish my senior year for this school. I didn't cheat at all. I was accused of cheating the last day of school before summer started for having the same 'font and color' as my sister in the guided notes. Not the tests, just the guided notes. I couldn't confront the teacher who accused me of this, wouldn't answer emails/phonecalls and now I'm just forced to take this summer course.

karenf255
6/28/18

Horrible time consuming . Many resubmitted documents stating they could not read or did not get. United organized as to all complete documents were needed. At the time of request, which cold have saved extra foot work. Anntime. Numerous on hold call transfers. Kinda gives MA an bad idea of what will it be like if student is doing the online school. Think I will pass on connections academy till they get better organized. They need a local brick office for parents to submit important documneta. Just not organized naff for me.

auroram11
6/19/18

I love it. I've started homeschooling my eighth grader half way through the school year for multiple reasons. I understand some of the negative reviews but some of it sounds like complaining and excuses for not succeeding. Some of the work is hard and some is super easy, just like in public school. Homeschool is not supposed to be an easy way out. You can do it as long as you stay on top of your schedule and correspond with your child's teacher on a regular basis, like you would in a public school setting. You have to be organized so assignments don't pile up, and show your child the best way to navigate the system for them. If you and your child are not focused on the education, problems would arise, I''m sure of it. Now my daughter is thriving and our relationship has gotten closer because of North Carolina Connections Academy. I would would recommend to anyone.

anonymousf19
6/18/18

I enrolled my my son, because of his anxiety problems. The teachers, are no help. Some of the courses are useless. The portfolio projects, are difficult for kids. I had the principle assign my son to detention on a Saturday, she stated his homeroom teacher was not able to get in contact with him. Meanwhile, he had already spoken to her. I had to email the principle , because she was trying to take his detention a step further and have him come in to the school. These people are horrible. If they think you are not doing the work, they will go in a change the attendance that you the parent put in to 0. Avoid if possible.

alyssae16
6/7/18

We enrolled our daughter half-way through her junior year because she was dealing with a lot of social anxiety at school. We thought the flexibility of Oregon Connections Academy would be beneficial for her and would allow her to work at her own pace and have some additional free time to work or volunteer. Unfortunately, our expectations were not reality. After six months, our A & B student is now receiving poor grades. She has lost motivation and doesn't really seem to care. At this point, she does the least amount required, which is essentially a lot of busy work and multiple-choice questions. Also, this is a very challenging format in which to teach or learn math. Our daughter has always done quite well in her math classes, yet she's currently failing her CA math class. My brother, who has a degree in computer science and math, attempted to assist her with her math assignments, but it didn't seem to help because she was already so far behind.

I believe the teachers are intelligent and well-intentioned; however, they are limited by the horrible interface and limitations of the online learning platform. My biggest complaint is their confusing system. I struggle to figure out what is due and when, and how she is supposed to complete her assignments. I have a graduate degree, yet it makes little sense to me. I can fully see why my daughter is struggling with this, as well. We are disappointed with her experience at Oregon Connections Academy and will be re-enrolling her at her local high school for her senior year.

On a side note, I did not find out Connection Academy is owned by Pearson Education (publishing company) until after we enrolled our daughter. All CA textbooks are from Pearson, and I recently read they've seen continued increases in revenue from these "public" schools. So, Connections Academy is essentially the K-12 equivalent of the troubled for-profit colleges.

nicholask66
6/6/18

I wrote a review of this site earlier, but my account won't let me access it so here is my second addition. This will be lengthy, so I am going to break this up in to categories.

We are nearing the end of the final term of my junior year at Connexus. I have had the absolute most stressful school experience that i have ever encountered. Nothing on here is functional without an issue of some sort. Most of the reviews on here are complaining about the excessive workload. This is true because they aimlessly pile lessons on each student, not considering our personal lives away from a computer. For example; My English teacher decides that it is a great idea to give us a massive portfolio. This is a reoccurring problem with most of my teachers, always giving me work for the weekends. Luckily, I am able to skip ahead a few days in my free time because I have few obligations. If your child has any extracurricular program of any sort, this is a terrible option for them. At one point, I thought that I could blast past the whole term and be done, but they limit you on that! After finishing five lessons in geography, I hit a wall and they said I cannot proceed further in the unit! So this whole "self paced" thing is a load of sh*t. Anyway, it's a lazy excuse for an education system and I will show more examples of this.

The general usability of the site:
This website's technology looks like it is from when the internet was first invented. The interface sucks. There are countless technical issues with the site including anything from false webmail notifications, to slow loading for the simplest things. Sheer incompetence from the humans operating this joke of a program. They sure love to glorify their "technical support team" too. When I was enrolled, all I ever heard about was how great and helpful these saints of men are that will fix anything that a student has a problem with. Well, I have contacted them over three times, and been referred to by teachers multiple times. Not ONCE have they attempted to contact me in any way, and not ONCE was I able to get through to them on the phone. So that should give you an idea of the staff we're dealing with here. But this is only the tip of the iceberg.

State testing

This year's state testing was one of the most laughable experiences I have had in my time in this school. Since we can't do it at home to prevent cheating, a teacher of some kind webmailed us that we had to meet at the nearby Best Western hotel in the morning. They provided a time but I forgot what it was. No further information. So I show up there and there are no signs at anywhere so I asked the secretary and she told me they are in the room upstairs to the left. They had rented us an empty hotel room. No furniture or anything, just a blank room which they pitched some plastic Costco tables in and positioned the cheapest possible laptops in existence from about five years ago on them. They furnished the floor with charging cords all over the place to the point of trying not to trip every time you walked somewhere. There were about 10 kids total in the room, all middle school age. So I was in there with a bunch of Eugenes making strange noises and talking about minecraft and fortnite and asking ridiculous questions for attention the whole time for three hours, two days in a row. And these kids went on the whole time, both times while the male and female teachers flirted with each other in the back and ignored it. Testing was easy, and the only other notable part of that experience was the fact that a teacher had to walk us to the bathroom. Let that soak into your head. A teacher had to walk me to the bathroom. So a 17 year old used the toilet while the teacher played on her phone in the hallway. Like I said, laughable.

Lessons
No lesson is put together well. They have multiple pages full of supposed enriching information that has nothing to do with the quiz/test or whatever it may be at the end of the lesson. So that is all terrible. Also, these are coming from a base curriculum and are posted by the teacher every day. The only place teachers come in here, is when pressing the send button to us students once a day. Meaning, THESE TEACHERS DON'T NEED TO QUALIFY FOR TEACHING IN ORDER TO "TEACH." The quizzes are automatically graded, meaning that they only need to grade written answers. All they need to do is press a button! So you will have some teachers who take their jobs somewhat seriously, who send occasional webmails and live lessons out etc. And then you'll have a handful who don't ever talk to you, don't ever check in, or anything and just rake in the money while you get a free A in their class. Some will edit the curriculum too. An example is my geography teacher, who skipped all of the last few units of the term, and replaced them with lessons about accepting refugees into our country and how women are discriminated upon and how rich white men are bad. No matter what your political views are, this is forced and ridiculous. Hell, she even ended up skipping our FINAL EXAM because we hadn't learned anything besides liberal propaganda! Keep in mind that this was done in more than one class, but geography took first prize for the most altered lessons.

Attempting to communicate with my unethical math teacher
This woman is rude an inconsiderate. I tried so many times to approach her nicely and ignore her awful teaching methods, but I can't do this anymore. She is like a robot that only knows how to be rude and has no emotions whatsoever. She modifies every single one of her lessons with complicated, unnecessary information. Her lessons don't make any sense, and she is way to harsh grading things. On more than one occasion, I got a zero on a test because the system deleted all of my answers, and she told me to do it all over again, despite the fact that I had sent her pictures of the problems in case it deleted them again. She has accused me of using WikiHow to cheat on my tests, which isn't even possible, holding me up on the subject while my lessons piled up until it was convenient for her to get back to me to resolve the issue. This next one is the biggie though. There are these things called "work sample" which we are assigned at the end of every unit. You are supposed to correct a minimum of five problems that you got wrong in the unit and send them in for a better grade. The catch is, you are required to do these, and they are weighted at 20% of your entire grade. This means that if you are a straight A student (a miracle in connexus), you will get a zero on your sample work, because there is nothing for you to correct and then you are no longer a straight A student. So once you have scraped up enough answers, assuming you have missed five problems in the unit, she denies them because they are not formatted the way she said to format them and she simply can't accept it if it's a screenshot of the work instead of a picture of the written work. Sometimes she enforces this rule, sometimes she doesn't even care how you submit them. Fun. So to complete these nightmares, she provides a poorly made digital "template" for you to fill your answers onto, and instructions to use your textbook and enter the page number to make sure that we aren't cheating. So now you are faced with the problems of getting out the math book you have never used once in the whole term, take pictures of it, and put them into this bad template to submit. Interesting, because isn't this company handing out two inch thick 90s laptops to students who don't have computers in their house? Don't you think that someone without a computer WOULD HAVE TROUBLE FINDING A DEVICE TO TAKE A PICTURE OF THE BOOK WITH TO ATTACH?!?!?! Seriously! Be sure to read the next segment too because it includes some of her shenanigans as well. If that sounded stressful, wait until you hear this next and last story. My math teacher encouraged me to fill out all of my sample work. So I bit the bullet and did ALL possible sample work in ALL previous units. I went above and beyond. I spent days working on this math, which I have attached pictures of, only for her to deny all of it! I think she said something like "This work is too late but it is good practice for you." An incredible amount of work went into this. Please check the pictures I attached to judge the scale of this all. Still mad about that waste of time and it was weeks ago.

Live lessons
In the connexus advertisements, these are glorified, displays of cutting edge technology that revolutionizes video chat. In reality, these are poorly organized meetings with up to 100 students at a time, all spamming the chat box the whole time in a program that looks like the first ever invented conference call software from 20 years ago. A student can participate in one of these for getting advice from a staff member, or to learn about the lesson they are on, etc. I figured I'd throw these in because when attending a math lesson, our teacher redirects us to two separate middle school teachers because she apparently can't take 30 minutes out of her day to do it herself. Also, I am always getting warnings about not communicating with staff enough. It'll say "approaching alarm" with a scared cartoon face that says I haven't contacted a teacher in 2 weeks. Even after I contact some teachers.

Thanks for reading. If you love your child, or value your child's activities other than spending most of every day on a computer, do not send them here. Do them a favor!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS HERE IF YOU LOVE THEM

sarahb531
6/6/18

My son has been with TECCA (Massachusetts ) for 2 years and the flexibility is so helpful. We were able to schedule one subject per day which helped my son manage adhd and the associated frustrations. We have the ability to take vacations and go on adventures we wouldnt have been able to in traditional schools.

anonymousa159
5/29/18

*Sigh* Where do I begin? This school is certainly great when it comes to the quality of the courses. The material is really well done. I am done with the school so this is my little final review after being in the school for like 7 years and now finished high school. If you have sleeping issues or have issues getting up early then this school is for you. But here are the main issues of the school. The workload is huge like pretty huge. I know someone who went to a good college and she saw the workload and was shocked. I mean we are young people, we like to get out and enjoy our lives you know? And not sit at home all day doing school work. When I was in public school it was much different. Second, the math courses are not a good fit for the online school. It is very lousy on how they teach it. It is very vague which you have to result in watching YouTube videos or research the type of math or possibly having a tutor... Teachers can be very rude at times. When I was in this school I have had these panic attacks or just get anxiety when it is time for CBA's. The teachers get a bit rude when you get a single question wrong but if you get others right you still get credit and pass. Now the worst part about this school is that you can be ACCUSED of cheating when you didn't First of all, literally 99% of the students in this school or online ones in general cheat anyway. And the teachers know it. They are just in it for the money. If a student is asking a question on a website that is on the test and gets the answer from that person on that website and gets away with it, then if you actually answer the question correctly and legitly, and the teachers find that internet question, they will give you a zero for the test. That is absolutely absurd so if one actually cheated then the other gets in trouble. But of course, there is nothing you can do about it. If you have a good argument it doesn't matter. Online school sounds great in the mind, but in the end is it truly better than public?

presillinaj
5/25/18

They only want the federal funding.

The "teachers" wanted to be worshiped as the parents/learning coaches do their job apparently. My child failed and the teacher took great pleasure in him failing.

Thank God I took precautions in December so Mrs. Roy (hint hint) Biv could not power play and hold my child back a grade.

Read all the comments before enrolling your child, and don't give the school the benefit of doubt. Go to FB and see the growing movement against charter schools stealing federal money away from actual public schools who need funding.

raktj
5/23/18

I have been at this school for 2 years now, and I have been astounded as to the quality of general knowledge that I have gained through this school, and the general quality of the lessons, (in most cases) is very good. However, there are a few glaring problems with the system that have discouraged me from re-enrolling. The first being the scheduling system. I have seen a lot of reviews on this school claiming that the workload is too much. Typically, this is not true, and I can get by the average day getting all As on my assignments by 3 PM. Notice, however, I said average. Because of poor design of the schedule, there will be slack periods, days which I will get few to no lessons assigned to me, and then others in which I will receive up to 4 portfolios or projects to be completed within 2 days! I find that absolutely ridiculous. My second complaint is that response time from teachers is incredibly slow via the "webmail" and on occasion I find myself needing to send up to 10 messages before being responded too. Other times the teachers are simply on vacation. Lastly, this school, in general, is not for the faint of heart or weak. Assignments are hard, and the concept of self-teaching, in general, requires a great deal of self-control. I am in the same classes as around 50 other people, many of them, alongside me, have high grades and are capable of handling the workload. Others are, however, in the D's and F's, and are incredibly unhappy with the workload. That just goes to show this school is not for everyone, which makes this last thing not a complaint but a simple statement. The school isn't at fault for everything, its just designed for a certain type of person, and your child may not be that kind of person. I think that this is an incredibly good school, with a few problems, but should definitely be explored more before enrollment. If you are asking, how do I know? There are multiple programs over summer that don't require commitment, which can give a rough, but effective idea of what to be expected, these include khan academy (also a partner of connections), brain chase, and probably some others. I definitely recommend this school, for a select few people with maturity, and a willingness to work hard. If your child does not have this, you can forget about enrolling.

carolinel59
5/22/18

Honestly all these reviews confuse me switching to connexus was the best choice my mom and i could have made the teachers are so willing to help and will contact you if they have concerns and will always help you as long as you put in the effort and contact them. The fact that i can do my lessons on my schedule and still have a life during the day and working in the evening and night is always great. I can't explain how much i appreciate this school for making me interested in learning again after losing all interest in school because of bullying in brick & mortar school i really love how amazing they are.

emilyp118
5/15/18

This school serves their own best interests rather than the best interests of their students. This school was one of the biggest mistakes that I have ever made.

jaxonl1
5/11/18

i want to kill myself this school is so bad. Everyone of the teachers is a liar. Its complete false advertisement and you don't learn a single thing. Its standardized tests and that's it. I would actually learn more from a goat on steroids.

pjs16
5/4/18

I have been reading the reviews here and frankly I'm confused. My children attend the Ripon online site and they and I Love, Love, Love it! They began as first and second graders and plan to continue thru high school. The program IS rigorous, one of the things we like. They get exposure to an amazing curriculum and for the most part go at their own pace. There is a scheduler which allows me to schedule their lesson according to their needs. For example, I have one child who really enjoys Language Arts, so I schedule those classes to be done the most, 3 to 4 times per week. My child breezes through those and has more time to work on math, which is more troublesome for them. My other child is very strong in math, but dosen't like Language Arts very much. So, I schedule math heavy, and Language Arts light. As long as all of the lessons are completed in a reasonable time, all is well. I have found the teachers to be very responsive to any challenges we have had. When we have had to travel, it was wonderful that the children didn't miss any "school", because we had it with us, via the computer. One year my children were able to take classes from Julliard. They thought that it was "cool" to take music classes from such a great, well renowned institution, for free and from the comfort of their own room! I'm so sorry to find that a number of other people have not had the experience that we have had. Prior to enrolling my children in Connections Academy, I was "home schooling' them. I am college educated, but didn't feel that I was giving them all of the information and structure, that they would need to have long term success. So, I went looking for another resource. I looked at "K-12", but it didn't seem right for us. I, figuratively, stumbled upon Connections Academy, during a web search. Perhaps each region is different, but I can tell you at the Ripon "site", our experience has been Awesome. My children began in different grades owing to one being a stronger reader. My other child became better at reading and wanted to be in classes with their sibling. Connections allowed my child to do class work in two grades, concurrently, in order to "catch up" with their sibling. Now both are in the same grade. I could go on and on about their and my positive experiences. As to the negatives, in the years my children have attended Connections, we have only had 2 incidents which were handled immediately. One was with an instructor who seemed not to understand that my children are twins and had an issue. I contacted the teacher in charge of that grade and received an apology and my children were transferred to another teacher in 1 day. Also, there was an incident where one child said something inappropriate in LiveLesson to one my children, again it was addressed right away and the child was reprimanded (the proof was documented, as most communication is done in written form. Any actual "speaking" is heard by the instructor in each room as microphone privileges must be granted by the in room instructor.). In our experience, bullying of any type in simply not tolerated. During the field trips, my children spend "face time" with the other students in their grade as well as other, younger and older students. The children all seem to have a fun time together without out bigotry or any other problems. Differently abled children as well as those from cultures outside of the United States, join together and are just children having fun with their friends. As you can tell our experiences have left me beyond pleased with Connections Academy. I am very sorry everyone hasn't had our experiences. I tell everyone that I know, who has young children, to check it out. When my children and I are out and about, we discuss their classes or other interests. I have been asked by other parents who have heard our exchanges, in the doctor's office as well as grocery stores, etc.,what school my children attend, I proudly tell them "Connections Academy". If things change when my children are in high school, I will look elsewhere, but so far, so great.

nicholasb75
4/29/18

This school is very bad. I started last fall for 8th grade. Before I started the school I looked at the website and I had a pamphlet sent to me to learn more about the school. It seemed like it was for me. On the first day of school I worked 8 hours which is ok because I was getting used to how they do things. Then about two months later I worked ten hours in one day to work on a portfolio that I found out later was dropped. All those hours I did to complete the portfolio was wasted none of my teachers told me that it was dropped. Not only that I didn't get to complete my lessons for that day so I fell behind. I am so happy because my mom sees how stupid this school is and now for the fall I will be going to public school. Also if you need a lot of time to do a portfolio DON'T COME HERE!!!! They only give you two days at the most to do work. I have only seen once having three days to work on it. AGAIN DON'T COME TO THIS SCHOOL. One more thing every review on here is more than 95% accurate.

kristyr9
4/21/18

We Have home schooled my son for the last 4 years thru other online schools. I did not re-enroll in time for the normal online school choice and connexus had openings... now i know why they were the last to fill. I have nothing good or positive to say. They do not offer individualized learning accriculum like they say, there is no modified assignments, everything i was told upon enrolling was a lie. If they get stuck on an assignment they cant go to the next lesson until its passed. This causes to fall way behind. An There is poor communication, the IEP and homeroom teacher are horribly rude when speaking to the student and parent. I was being harrassed to sign a modification/review of my sons IEP which I communicated many times it would be done the following year when he was in public school, by a team of educators who could better accommodate his learning path. I received multipal emails everyday to sign a modified IEP that I was not involved in nor agreed with, nor spoken to about the changes, which is completely against my rights. Several emails just wanting me to sign a blank document, and others were not even my child's IEP, they belonged to another child and had his personal private information on it. Like I said, i have no positive feedback with my experience with connexus. I know this was their 1st year doing highschool, maybe in a few years they will figure it out and have better teachers and actually follow thru with the type of school they sold me on. THEY DO NOT HAVE INDIVIDUAL LEARNING. CHILD CANNOT WORK AT OWN SPEED. LESSONS ARE CONFUSING AND THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE UNCLEAR. TEACHERS ARE RUDE WHEN STUDENT SEEKS HELP. TOLD MY SON IT'S HIS OWN FAULT HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND. HE HAS A COMPREHENSION AND HEARING DISABILITY. HOW IS THAT HIS FAULT?

camdynb
Camdyn b.
4/13/18

When looking into doing online school this is one of the first places I looked into, after visiting the website I was sold on the idea of having a flexible schedule and 1 on 1 learning, because I travel a lot with sports teams and family traditional school was very hard to keep up with because of all the missed days. Right of the bat they lost numerous papers that my dad had to keep resubmitting, witch left me starting late and already behind. Then when I finally started to try to do my work I found that I was very confused about what I was supposed to do and even after contacting my counselor( who was no help btw) I was finally helped by friends who were also using the site. After learning all the basics I was astounded by the amount of time that I was supposed to work and how fast you could fall behind. After taking all honors courses my freshman year I found this more time consuming than all of my courses last year. The lessons were horrible and very confusing and they would push so much information into one lesson that I would find myself taking pictures instead of notes because of the amount of information. Also a lot of the information included is not stuff that I would say is important to learning a subject. For example in the Spanish 2 course you will learn very little about actually speaking the Spanish language and will spend most of your time learning about what it is like to live in Spain and other Spanish speaking countries. Which is very different Than a regular public school where your main focus of the class is learning the language. Also when it says flexible schedule that is the biggest lie I heard when looking into the site. If you miss a day of school it will take you days to catch up on the classes you missed. You could easily spend upwards of 8 hours a day looking at a computer screen. In addition they say that this is an accredited site, after talking to numerous adults and coaches I learned that this site is a joke to any good college or prep school somebody may want to attend. I dont know if it is like this for all ages, but if you or your child is in highschool do not use this site YOU WILL REGRET IT!! This is easily the worst mistake I have ever made and there is a 0% chance that I use this next year, absolutely horrible

reneep53
4/7/18

We switched to Connections Academy in Washington State a few months ago. My kids are in 6th, 4th and 3rd. My kids love it and I love that they are home with me all day. It is a school so you do have to spend a good amount of time learning and doing assignments. People post that there is too much work but it's really not. My kids spend less time doing school work with WACA then they spend at their public school. But we do spend at least 4 to 5 hours plus reading each day doing school work. It's not laying around and being lazy kind of deal that I think some people are expecting online school might be. It's real school work that has to be done each day... Yes it is flexible ... If you have something going on on Monday you can skip doing your school work that day and do extra work the other days or finish it up on the weekend. But you can't just push off the work to do when you feel like it or you will quickly get behind... That is not a good feeling..I feel like my kids can learn more doing online school . If they have a question when we are going over a lesson or want more info we can stop and look up the info or watch a video to get more details or we can simply just talk about what we are learning. This is something they can not do at public school because they have to quickly move on to the next lesson or activity. I have also read about people complaining about needing to track hours. It's very simple ... you put in 6 hours each day M-F into the computer systems... It's super simple. You don't actually have a stop watch counting your time spent learning. The teachers are nice. My kids have one live lesson everyday M-F. They are required to go to at least one a week to get their teacher contact in. My kids go to all their live lessons... It's school and I want them to learn as much as possible. It's also another way to interact with the other kids. Some teachers allow more of it than others. I think the only negative for me is my daughter misses seeing her friends at school. The social part of it. We do plan on signing up for field trips next school year to get more involved with the school and meet other families. Since there are so many negative comments I just wanted to give my feedback. Connections Academy is a great school if you have the time to help your children go through the lessons and you are ready to do some work.. It's not something you sign your kids up for and have them figure it out on their own...

mariem194
4/5/18

my child attend this online school just because it worked for us we love to travel and be on the road a lot and they locked my child out of all her class work because we were not doing work fast enough ! ok that makes sense let her get farther behind I guess we will be looking for a school that lets us go at our own pace

dk119
4/5/18

I was considering Connections Academy for my son, but ended up deciding it was not a good fit. I had inquired information about enrolling and since then they have called me every day, sometimes twice a day, one is a recording and the other is a person, they leave minute long voice mails. They also have been sending me spam emails telling me I need to finish enrollment, even though I have emailed them now twice stating I do not wish to enroll. Clearly something is going on here that all this school cares about is having numbers, no other school has spammed my phone and email after simple inquiry. I won't recommend this school based solely on the fact that they won't stop calling and emailing me to try to convince me to enroll, they don't care about students, they care about numbers, like any other public school.

britneyc8
3/27/18

All these other kids complaining must not work a lot. I'm about 3 months ahead of everyone else in my local school because I spend a lot of time working on my lessons and work on the weekends. If you put in the time and effort, its really not that hard. Thanks to this school I'm going to be able to have an associates degree before I even graduate highschool. You just have to actually be motivated enough to do it yourself and actually spend time working ahead and you'll be fine. Since I work through everything a lot quicker, I normally do a lesson or two a day then have time to do whatever I please. If you don't put in the effort, your going to hate it but if your willing to actually work, it's a great school!

idontl1
3/21/18

Please for the love of God do not send your child to this "school".
It is probably the worst online school you could possibly attend with no interaction with the teachers, a poor layout, and all around confusion.

Lol no.. there's no "your own pace". You have to follow their pace or else you'll have 100 lessons overdue with 3 weeks to complete them all.

By Ruby D.

do not put your child in this program i hate it i switched to connexus i could get more time in the gym and work out i used to spend five hours in the gym in normal school but now im only limited to one hour a day because i have so much work.the teachers never respond and its horrible they dont help me and when im at gym they call then i cant i pick up so they call my parents who are at work and will get in trouble if on there phones. i hate tis school and everyone in it and your kids will to so DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

By MAYA K.

That is a very good question Dee. We were drawn in with that promise as well. They use exampmes of child athletes and child actors (at least they did when we were going through their website looking for schooling options) as examples of how flexible their program is but we found it to be a very different experience.

By K J.

Attendance is more important to the school keeping it's Charter, than making sure a student is truly on track academically. The School has no communication skills, which is why it probably attracts lazy teachers.

By Gary T.

Maybe once a month. The student might get a phone call from his or her homeroom teacher on a monthly basis. Other than that, unless you or the student contact the teacher individually, then the interaction is done as a whole in the Live Lesson rooms. And so much outside stuff goes on during Live Lessons, the students do not get a lot out of them.

By Anon Y.

Sadly, yes, it now follows Common Core. It never did before, which was one of the reasons I loved it. Now they've adjusted the Elementary program to follow CCSS. Look into a different program if you disagree with CCSS.

By Anon Y.

They did not follow Common Core. However, this year has changed in the elementary schools and they now follow Common Core standards. They've also started using the assessments and tests as a prep for State testing.

By Anon Y.

In Middle School, each teacher usually has 2 Live Lessons a week. Math usually has Live Lessons all 5 days. In 6-8 grades students have a different teacher for each subject. Also, most teachers have appointment times that students can sign up for whenever they need extra one-on-one time. In Elementary school the Live Lessons are not as often as the parent agrees to the role of the Learning Coach and is there to help the student most of the time. I am not familiar with High School yet.

By Lea A.

Absolutely. Connections Academy is a public school, listed as a charter. Connections also offers all A-G courses that colleges look for from traditional brick and mortar schools. They also offer AP courses.

By Lea A.

I think it is a 60 percent.

By Georgetta v.
Questions? Get answers from the ConnectionsAcademy staff and other customers.

ConnectionsAcademy?