Review of CCleaner

New York, New York 10022, United States
Tel: +1-800-816-9004

duanes82
3/2/19

I had to search this page out. I wanted to thank you for this wonderful program !! I just ran it. I run it much. I am having problems with my computer. I spilled coffee on my keyboard and eventually it sopped working. Even though I am using A USB keyboard and have tried to uninstall my default key board my computer keeps reinstalling it. And I have problems with my password at boot. Well I am in windows now and I leave the Computer on for A long time. So I don't have to try and reget into windows. the computer messed up and I couldn't see my thumbnail pictures, as well as some other problems. I ran Ccleaner and they reappeared !! I haven't checked the other problems yet but I
'm guessing they cleared up as wellas well. Now I may not have to restart my computer to fix the problem. I wish I could upgrade, I just can't afford to right now. But plan to when I can !! I am still using the free version.Thankyou. Duane Schott.

futto
1/5/19

CCleaner WAS great - I still use version 5.40 that you can still get from places like file - hippo. I set it to only do manual cleans etc, no automatic running/updating.
To be fair - you can also get CCleaner PORTABLE v5.44.6575 instead, from places like softpedia or file hippo etc - save it on a USB stick - and run it from a stick without actually saving or installing it on your machine. (That is not the formal official current version (5.45 or higher - which have the well known Avast issues)).
CCleaner was taken over by Avast, & is now intrusive, in my view - I tried version 5.44 but was annoyed at the intrusive messages popping up continuously - so I unistalled it and re-installed version 5.40.
Since Avast took over - the newer versions are advertising Avast products. It also is auto-set to NOT delete Avast cookies etc - lol.
... The versions since Avast took over also don't let you stop it reporting stuff about your PC and files to Avast etc - (Version 5.45 keeps also sets itself up to autostart and runs active monitoring switched on which cannot be switched off) ... various options/settings to do this in CCleaner simply are just not there anymore - NOT ACCEPTABLE in my view.

bobz41
10/11/18

I bought CCleaner some months ago. Cleaned my registry several times. Finally decided to clean my files also. When the screen came back I was unable to do anything. I had to do a hard shutdown. I was unable to get into Safe Mode. I called Microsoft and we determined that the registry was corrupt. We had to rebuild the operating system in place. I am still finding various functions that don't work but have been able to fix them. I would not install this software.

zdenekd
9/15/18

Sadly, Ccleaner wiped data (history, favourits, etc.) from my Vivaldi browser, eve thought it was not listed among those programs it would clean data from... very irresponsible and dangerous piece or software! ... and it does not more then I can perform from the Windows and software tools & options with much more control! And it is the same obtrusive like it's big brother Avast...

jimp135
8/31/18

Every time I update to a New Version I have to make all of my Setting Changes again. It would be best if CCleaner kept my old setting when installing a Newer Version of CCleaner Free such as 5.46.6652. Other than that I would have given it a 4. Also the Registry Cleaner should make a Systems Restore Point not a backup file before making changes to the Registry File.

markr552
7/28/18

I went in to purchase the 30% off, 1-year subscription. The page automatically selects the yearly renewal, where you must physically cancel to stop them from a yearly re-charge of the full $24.99. So I un-clicked the box, and the agreement under the Submit button switched to where I was no longer agreeing to the yearly charge. BUT, when the page sent me to PayPal I was told in the fine print that I was allowing them to deduct a yearly charge, with no way of opting out! Thank goodness I re-read the terms on the PayPal page, I wonder how many people don't?
So, I called their customer service, which is not an easy phone number to find, and their answer was that I could simply cancel before the year was up. When I said no, I don't want to agree to it in the first place, THEY HUNG UP! I called back, got the exact same response from a different agent, they also hung up instead of explaining!
This is despicable behavior from a supposed security company who is supposed to be trustworthy. How can you possibly rely on their product when the company itself has such an astonishing lack of integrity?

valeriag6
5/1/18

esa aplicacion completamente gratuita, deja en segundos la maquina mucho mas liviana, ofreciendote soluciones que podrian salir mucho mas caras. limpia y soluciona errores y es facil de usar. muy bueno

davim2
3/13/18

Tricks you into downloading avast antivirus. Doesnt do much for your pc other than tricking you into downloading other software so be careful.

jdelawared
2/16/17

If you would use meditation to cure cancer, then you would use CCleaner to clean your PC. It sure makes you feel good but it doesn't do jack $#*!.

harrys44
4/17/14

Perfect to clean my pc, very fast and reliable. This is a must have.

ultimasoulnix
12/10/13

ccleaner is one if not the best register cleaners i have seen. it cleans your registry and usually cleans a gigabyte off of my computer; i recommend it to be used and not any other one you might see!

bobw14
8/19/11

First thank you all for the great reviews of this site. I was having problems with my pc and tried to search for software that works. I just recently installed ccleaner and it did wonders on my pc.

lilrebelc
2/22/10

Kudos to Frank C for his review of this site!

I went to it and downloaded the software and it worked like a charm! Thank you Frank! It's definitely cleaned up and cleared up some long time issues I've had with my computer. Great site! It was very fast too.

frankc1
2/22/10

WOW was I glad to get turned on to THIS website!

I'm sure you've all seen the advertisements (and the scams) about software that will "make your computer run faster" and they offer a "FREE SCAN". Then the nightmare begins, where they tell you that you have over 1,000 problems with your computer and then try to sell you their Registry Cleaning software package. Now, several of these are very good (PC Tools, AVG, Norton) , BUT they all cost at least $29.95/year!

CCleaner.com is the best and ONLY totally FREE Registry Cleaning software out there. It's easy to use, does the job quickly and thoroughly and is ABSOLUTELY FREE (Gawd I sound like a commercial for them, but really I'm just a satisfied user). There's no reason to pay big $$$ to get this type of software.

Registry fragmenting is the leading cause of your computer slowing down with age. You have to clean it up (your basic "De-Fragment that comes with Windows doesn't do this), and you need software like this to do it!

Here's a youtube of a guy who will give you the info and a quick tutorial on how to use it:

Then just go to www.CCleaner.com and get yours. My sister (a huge computer geek) turned me on to this after I got aggravated by the other companies trying to charge me for it (even AVG who I just paid $50 for the year of security software and why isn't this included anyway i asked?).

I'm amazed at how much faster my hard drive is running. This is a totally unbiased review, I only know enough about all of this to be dangerous. Even my website programmer told me that this is good stuff and have no fear. Anyway, here's to faster computers! Enjoy.

'Take your computer' ... ??? ... & 'chocolatey' recommendation form Rags P. - ...hmm too complex and won't work for stuff embedded in the actual programme like Avast's stuff in CCleaner. Just get CCleaner version 5.40 (still available on softpedia and file hippo etc - or get CCleaner PORTABLE from there and download it direct to a USB stick and run it from USB stick. Tidying your registry will make no difference to your computer unless the registry is completely corrupted - but then you need more than a freeware cleaner). I personally would recommend getting 'Malwarebytes Adwcleaner' (free), and 'PCDecrapifier 3.0.1' - small freeware programmes that don't install anything and just help you clean crp of the computer.

By Futt O.

CCleaner is ok upto version 5.40. After that infested with Avast advertising malware. Just get CCleaner version 5.40 (still available on softpedia and file hippo etc - or get CCleaner PORTABLE from there and download it direct to a USB stick and run it from USB stick. Tidying your registry will make no difference to your computer unless the registry is completely corrupted - but then you need more than a freeware cleaner). .... I personally would recommend getting 'Malwarebytes Adwcleaner' (free), and 'PCDecrapifier 3.0.1' - small freeware programmes that don't install anything and just help you clean crp of the computer. ... The main thing to keep computer speed is to uninstall not needed programmes and Apps and block bs stuff from Startup - big startup slow downs can be Dropbox, OneDrive, - UNinstall them unless you use them. Can get them free later if needed. ... ...and if you have Dell or HP - half of their Apps are unnecessary (like ...'support assist' - Uninstall imho). ... CCleaner is not a virus protector - but is now owned by Avast - but i really would avoid Avast - their marketing is too aggressive with adware embedded in their programmes imho.- just look in wikipedia for CCleaner.... ... Virus protector - plenty of good options without using resource drainers like Avast, McAfee, Norton... I personally use Kaspersky Free or Bitdefender Free, or paid versions if heavy surfing / downloading.

By Futt O.

CCleaner is ok upto version 5.40. After that infested with Avast advertising. Just get CCleaner version 5.40 (still available on softpedia and file hippo etc - or get CCleaner PORTABLE from there and download it direct to a USB stick and run it from USB stick). ... of you select the wrong options in CCleaner you might delete something you wanted to keep. It can't 'damage' the computer but you can delte software files that cause the computer to behave wrong. ALWAYS create restore point before doing anything significant to system etc. ... Tidying your registry will make no difference to your computer unless the registry is completely corrupted - but then you need more than a freeware cleaner. .... I personally would recommend getting 'Malwarebytes Adwcleaner' (free), and 'PCDecrapifier 3.0.1' - small freeware programmes that don't install anything and just help you clean crp of the computer. ... If you don't know what you are doing - do not mess with stuff suggested by PCDecrapifier. ... ... In windows - also just use ... Windows Administrative Tools - Disk Cleanup.... ... The main thing to keep computer speed is to uninstall not needed programmes and Apps and block bs stuff from Startup - big startup slow downs can be Dropbox, OneDrive, - UNinstall them unless you use them. Can get them free later if needed. ... ... CREATE RESTORE point before messing with the system and uninstalling stuff - can then recover by going back in time using 'System Restore' if need to ... ...and if you have Dell or HP - a least half of their Apps are unnecessary (like ...'support assist' - Uninstall imho).

By Futt O.

No. But I assume you have a proper anti-virus also (eg. Bitdefender Free, Kaspersky Free, Bullguard free trial, etc ... or paid versions if heavy surfing/downloading - I avoid Avast products like Avast, AVG (used to be great), Avira... too much blah and advertising, and also find McAfee and Norton slow down the computer and browsing too much... MSE on win 7 is a security programme meant to run in background. CCleaner is a cleaning tool, not a security or anti-virus tool. Malwarebytes Adwcleaner - is not an anti-virus programme - it is designed to identify adware / malware. I would just run occasionally manually (once a month or so) - I don't like stuff set to auto-run cleanups (including CCleaner not) NOTE... ...CCleaner is ok upto version 5.40. After that infested with Avast advertising. Just get CCleaner version 5.40 (still available on softpedia and file hippo etc - or get CCleaner PORTABLE from there and download it direct to a USB stick and run it from USB stick). ... if you select the wrong options in CCleaner you might delete something you wanted to keep. It can't 'damage' the computer but you can delete software files that cause the computer to behave wrong. ALWAYS create restore point before doing anything significant to system etc. ... Tidying your registry will make no difference to your computer unless the registry is completely corrupted - but then you need more than a freeware cleaner. .... I personally like 'Malwarebytes Adwcleaner' (free), and 'PCDecrapifier 3.0.1' - small freeware programmes that don't install anything and just help you clean crp of the computer. ... If you don't know what you are doing - do not mess with stuff suggested by PCDecrapifier. ... ... In windows - also just use ... Windows Administrative Tools - Disk Cleanup.... ... The main thing to keep computer speed is to uninstall not needed programmes and Apps and block bs stuff from Startup - big startup slow downs can be Dropbox, OneDrive, - UNinstall them unless you use them. Can get them free later if needed. ... ... CREATE RESTORE point before messing with the system and uninstalling stuff - can then recover by going back in time using 'System Restore' if need to ... ...and if you have Dell or HP - a least half of their Apps are unnecessary (like ...'support assist' - Uninstall imho).

By Futt O.

Que? Clearly if you tick the box for delete 'Saved Passwords' it deletes those that your browser has saved. Same as 'Saved form information' etc. etc. ... ... ie. where you put a tick in the box - it means it will remove it. ... Personally I NEVER save my passwords in the browser anyway.

By Futt O.

late answers . but here you gp - Tidying registry will have no effect on you PC speed unless it is completely corrupted - but you would know that as PC would not be working. ... Registry is just a simple text list really, so does not use much space. Way back when PC's were really slow (1990's) a registry tidy helped a bit. .. If you want to delete them all off - just Create a System Restore point .... if you don't know what that is ggl it, and don't mess with registry if don't know what it is telling you in the CCleaner list. ... Duplicates - depends how much space they are taking - If they are your own personal files that you have managed to save and copy double etc - just keep your own personal file / directory tidy with file explorer not ccleaner - this is no different to keeping a physical cupboard or filing cabinet tidy... ... If the duplicates look like strange system type names, leave them alone unless you know what you are doing. ... I NEVER use deletion of duplicate files from a software like Cleaner - too easy to delete something you didn't understand or didn't want to delete. ... ... . look under C:\Users\<username>\Downloads ... you may well have downloaded stuff several times by clicking in internet. sort that out by deleting what you don't need. Download directory is for downloads, not for permanently storing stuff.

By Futt O.

since Avast took over CCleaner in 2017, all versions after 5.40 are automatic run and infested with Avast advertising it appears (eg. check out wikipedia for CCleaner). I still use CCleaner 5.40 (but set to manually run occasionally - why have it running it bachkground using resources????). Or get CCleaner PORTABLE from reputable software sites like softpedia or file hippo etc etc.

By Futt O.

Various things like Internet Explorer, Chrome etc create a set of small dummy files - so even when you deleted them they are very quickly back again. They don't matter. Just look at 'details' and it's only really big files and big volumes of data that will help (if at all) ... CCleaner is ok upto version 5.40. After that infested with Avast advertising. Just get CCleaner version 5.40 (still available on softpedia and file hippo etc - or get CCleaner PORTABLE from there and download it direct to a USB stick and run it from USB stick). ... Tidying your registry will make no difference to your computer unless the registry is completely corrupted - but then you need more than a freeware cleaner. .... I personally would recommend getting 'Malwarebytes Adwcleaner' (free), and 'PCDecrapifier 3.0.1' - small freeware programmes that don't install anything and just help you clean crp of the computer. ... If you don't know what you are doing - do not mess with stuff suggested by PCDecrapifier. ... ... In windows - also just use ... Windows Administrative Tools - Disk Cleanup.... ... The main thing to keep computer speed is to uninstall not needed programmes and Apps and block bs stuff from Startup - big startup slow downs can be Dropbox, OneDrive, - UNinstall them unless you use them. Can get them free later if needed. ... ... CREATE RESTORE point before messing with the system and uninstalling stuff - can then recover by going back in time using 'System Restore' if need to ... ...and if you have Dell or HP - a least half of their Apps are unnecessary (like ...'support assist' - Uninstall imho).

By Futt O.

OMG. Fallen for the " my name is bob from 'company x', you have a problem with your computer / internet etc " scam... 1. NEVER give control of your PC over to an unknown person / caller. - lucky if all they got was a payment from you and not credit card details to potentially take more etc etc. Next time get a reputable local PC freelance helper (with recommendation from someone if possible - plenty of scammers in that branch too). ... 2. He was correct that different anti-virus programmes will clash. You have microsoft defender in background (or microsoft security essentials MSE on windows 7). Especially Norton and McAfee are heavy programmes that will slow down a slow PC. AVG was ok until Avast took over and now it's infested with advertising for Avast it seems. Personally - Bitdefender Free, or Kaspersky Free rather than AVG... ... 3. That's a lot of cash for a free programme and some of the 'helper' s time. .. You did not explain why you even were talking to them... sounds like a cold caller to me... Better places to ask for help are like ... 'reddit' /r/windows - real people will generally give answers in there; or under microsoft web pages help forums etc

By Futt O.

Questions? Get answers from the CCleaner staff and other customers.

1 Photo for CCleaner