Review of Ubuntu

Tel: +1-203-656-5291
webmaster@ubuntu.com

tonyf64
4/17/18

I use Windows more then I do Linux but Ubuntu is a very good operating system & now even has more support for the gaming community as you can play many games via Steam. Ubuntu can run from both being installed on your computer as well as by running on DVD or USB in live mode & even get use of the internet not installed. I noticed that someone had said that it does not pickup their WiFi signal, chances are they are using a device that has no support like my AE6000 which cost me $45 which works perfect in Windows but will not work in Linux. Do not let this keep you from trying it out for yourself as I have not found any other problems with my WiFi in Linux Ubuntu or otherwise.

Features,

+ Will install on an old iMac
+ 100% Free
+ Great Support
+ Can play many games on Steam
+ Always has the correct time installing (Unlike Windows)
+ Has tons of free open source programs
+ Is not targeted with viruses & other harmful things (Unlike Windows)
+ Is more stable then Windows could ever hope to be
+ Can be run from install, DVD, or USB drive
+ Can be portable

You just need to try it for yourself & see if its something you would find useful or not. Unlike Windows you do not have to pay $199.99 every year because they can not stick with one version & make it better. Its 100% free for all versions, easy to download & burn. Just use Windows to burn the ISO to DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB drive.

tomc206
1/8/18

I've tried for more than 5 years (about 6-7 times) to install various Ubuntu editions. Not once have I been able to connect to my wifi. I've tried everything: USB booting, cd-rom booting, buying different cd-roms (4 times), looking for answers on the internet (from outside Ubuntu, obviously), entering numerous commands in the terminal as suggested, connecting via hardwire to perhaps seek a solution, editing my connection a hundred times: Results -WiFi connection, NONE. I give up; screw Ubuntu and Linux. Don't expect widespread acceptance when the most basic functionality is so difficult to obtain.

antonion14
5/10/17

Open Source.
Always keep a Linux partition to backup your files, specially UBUNTU, the most friendly one.

rodrigod5
3/21/16

Thanks for developing and maintaining such a great open-source OS. I tried many other but eventually chose Ubuntu for good.

Tip for consumers: Always use LTS (Long Term Support) versions of Ubuntu on production machines

jonasb29
4/3/15

I just want to thank open software community for help they provided me in my way to became linux user.

chriso1
3,145 helpful votes
9/12/10

Ubuntu is the best Linux experience I've had with a fully-loaded OS complete with eye-candy. It wouldn't quite run smoothly on my Thinkpad X30 with 500Mb RAM, though, so I switched to the lighter-weight Xubuntu and that's been fine.

It's an ideal choice for anyone who is not going to whinge about it not being
Windows. It's not Windows. And I feel, whatever the fanboys say, that you're going to get the best experiences from it if you already have some grasp of what Linux is about and aren't scared of using the terminal to issue command-line instructions. Otherwise, I think you'll be heading off to one of the many helpful Linux forums to resolve your questions, at least for a while after your first installation.

If you're going to rate it based on how it performs this or that task as compared to a version of Windows, you should stick with Windows.

But comparing the current edition - Lucid Lynx 10.04 - to any other flavor of Linux I've used in the past, leaves the competition standing. Ubuntu is a deserved leader in its field.

Those areas in which it needs attention, in my opinion, are inherent to Linux and the attitudes of developers to Linux rather than a Ubuntu-specific thing. It is still assumed that you're going to be tolerant of some shortcomings that would irritate most Windows users. But if you can live with a few of these shortcomings, you'll find that Ubuntu is a Linux you can enjoy.

marions
10/6/09

By far my favorite Linux distribution. This is a great Linux for a newcomer to start with and stick with. It doesn't get simpler than Ubuntu and it is a fully mature operating system. Suitable for all uses.

Questions? Get answers from the Ubuntu staff and other customers.

Ubuntu?