Review of SoftMaker

SoftMaker reviews

Tel: +49 911 9363860

annetted20
12/16/17

I dl'ed the free version of this and installed only the word processor and spreadsheet. I've been playing with the wp part most of today and I think it's great. A few commands you have to look for but they're there. I do a newsletter every month for our small community and it has so many options. Inserting text boxes is a cinch and text automatically wraps around it. You can set it upgrade every so often or never upgrade at all, which I like because quite often the changes seem to be made just for the sake of change. It also comes with a few templates, more fonts than anyone would ever need, and what I really like is that you can set the default font in case you're like me and tend to use the same one most of the time. No grammar checker but there is a spell checker that you can access by clicking the icon. It also comes with a manual in PDF format which I won't be printing because it's some 700+ pages, but it's there if you need it. I recently tried both Open Office and Libra? Office and found them way too big and too hard to find what I wanted. In short, it has everything I want and none of the annoying things that I don't want.

chriso1
3,070 helpful votes
7/31/10

This is the home of SoftMaker Office, a direct competitor to better-known and considerably more expensive office software suites. Also onsite you'll find a couple of fonts packages containing up to more than 12,000 fonts for home and office users, and a CD/DVD labeling package.

At $79.95 or 69.95 Euros, the office suite is a price competitor with the Japanese-made Kingsoft Office which I've reviewed here elsewhere. This product is German, however, so if you prefer to buy European than Japanese, you will want to download the free trial version which can be evaluated for 30 days.

Although the promotion openly claims that the product is better than Microsoft Office, a boast which you'll want to check out for yourself if you're in the market for Windows or Windows CE office software, this one goes beyond anything that Microsoft can offer because it's also available for Linux.

All MS Office formats including the very latest 2010 formats .docx, .docm, and .xlsx are catered for in the 2010 version of the software.

The current and still available previous versions operate on every flavor of Windows from Windows 95 onward, making this potentially attractive for users of old systems looking for budget software, but it will also attract the attention of anyone in the market for an MS Office alternative that's professionally produced and offers free upgrades to registered users too.

There is a licensing requirement, sadly unavoidable these days, but it's pretty generous as they go because it allows one copy of the software to be used legally on up to three computers in the same household.

I haven't evaluated this one myself but it does look to be a worthy addition to the competition for MS Office at a more than competitive price. Give it a try, and if you're impressed (or not) let us know!

If you're looking for a product that will simply open, view and print just about any word-processing document format in existence, and which is FREE, too, the same company offers such a product at www.officeviewers.com, which I have reviewed here:

You can save the document in a Microsoft format -- .docx, xlsx -- whatever. Conversion is not needed.

By Stephen W.
Questions? Get answers from the SoftMaker staff and other customers.

SoftMaker?