Review of CarMax

Tel: +1-703-404-7773
cmx_domain_admin@carmax.com

jaslyns
3/15/18

I recently purchase a car from CarMax on Sahara on 2/24. That following Monday 2/26, the check engine light came on. I took the car in to get serviced 2/27, I was told it would be be fixed by the weekend. I was called Friday 3/2 and was told the car parts took longer than expected to come in, so it wouldn't be ready until that Monday. Monday 3/5 I was called and was told that another issue appeared to be wrong with the car, and because I was under the 5 day return policy, seeing that the policy was put on "hold" while the car was being serviced, I had the option of returning the car. I returned the car Tuesday 3/6. The return agreement stated I would have my down payment returned, (which I have not yet received), and that the car loan would be returned to the loan company and that the loan would not appear on my credit report. 3/9, I went to a different dealership and I was not able to get a new car because there was an open auto loan account from the auto loan company through CarMax, even though CarMax stated it would not be... I called CarMax and the loan company American Credit Acceptance (ACA) and was constantly going around in circles with them, calling back and forth, being put on hold for hours, and the loan still appears on my credit. I tried to get a payoff letter saying that the loan was returned and I owe a $0 balance, but I was not able to receive one for some unknown reason. I returned the car 3/6, it is now 3/15 and I have been without a car since I returned the car to CarMax. I have Sickle Cell Disease and Junior Rheumatoid Arthritis, I have doctor appointments to go to, I have to go to the pharmacy to pick up medications, etc... I have been using Lyft/Uber for transportation seeing that I am not able to walk long distances to ride the bus. I am a long-term substitute, I work with pre-k autistic children and I'm a college student. I desperately need a car to get to and from work and to run my errands. CarMax has been no help whatsoever! And they created a giant mess for me! I am highly displeased and irritated.

michellet156
2/12/18

Bought a car from CarMax in East Haven & they were wonderful! Salesman was respectful, helpful & knowledgeable. Entire process was seamless. The office was clean and everyone was very friendly.

danielb106
9/27/17
• Updated review

I had done this before, but when I attempted to trade-in my car, I found that their "competitiveness" had left the barn. Briefly, I was offered almost $5k less than their asking price for the same model with more miles and in no better condition; mine was virtually flawless. I sold it privately one day later for $3k more than their offer.

Tip for consumers: Check the bluebook prices before you trade or sell.

“Takes the pain out of car shopping.”
9/27/17
• Previous review

Over the years,I have bargained hard when purchasing a new car. So when I discovered CarMax I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Since then I have purchased five cars from them and sold two. Their prices are competitive, the cars are well inspected (they won't sell a car that has been in an accident), they have a wide selection and there is no pressure. And best of all, no haggling! I've found that there are great opportunities when buying up-scale cars that are one or two years old. All of them had mileage under 10k and because of early, high depreciation were much cheaper than new; they even had their original warranty. Because I tend to sell before the warranty expires, other than regular maintenance I've had no repair expense. What's not to like.

stephaniel105
9/3/17

I had a specific Prius shipped to the Hartford location. I picked this car on their website using only 1 filter, "heated seats." Once in the car, doing a test drive, I asked the guy how to turn on the heated seats. He replied that there weren't any in this car. After the ride, I showed him my phone where it said, "featured items, heated seats." Also a large sticker on the car said heated seats. He said the staff must have entered the car into the system incorrectly. I said I wouldn't have wasted my day off having this specific car shipped here, and could he give me a discount since it didn't have 1 of the 5 featured accessories listed. He had me wait 30 min and came back saying I could have $300 taken off the extended warranty of $2000. It's a Prius! They rarely need maintenance.. so no discount, but I can spend $1700 on a warranty I didn't want to begin with! No thanks. I will never return to Carmax.

scottb122
8/15/16

Carmax is an entity within itself. An effective and efficient way to sell or to buy a vehicle without pressures from pushy Sales Personal!! The entire process of obtaining an actual written offer is approx. thirty minutes or less. Competent Staff (Ontario, Ca)., quick software analysis and an inspection..simplifies the process. Relaxed environment, large area like arena and a/c give this concept a cool rating!!!!

dixond
8/7/16

I had a buyer for a car i financed with carmax. When i called to ask how to expidite the process of paying the loan off and getting the title they said to go into the dealer and pay it off with my debit card. Then they could fax the receipt to the finance department and they would rush the title to me the next day. When i called the next day to follow up, they told me they were holding the title for 5 days. Even tho i have a bank statement showing the money being transfered to them. This on top of the car being over priced. Carmax is a huge rip off!

donnafh1
5/4/15

After researching a possible car to purchase, I chose a nissan elantra and contacted carmax. They said they didn't have that particular car on there lot in fort worth texas and I would have to pay a $179.00 shipping fee for it to be shipped from Oklahoma. I did this. I went down and purchased the car and was very pleased with my purchase, my payments of $104.00 and at a 7% interest rate. After making the first payment, and it was almost time for the 2nd payment to be made I get a call from carmax, saying they were'nt going to honor my contract and I needed to come and sign a new contract or bring back the car. I had a few witnesses to these back and forth phone calls, and finally went down and again signed a new contract with Carmax. After making all of my payments for three years and a few months I get a bill from Santander saying I owed an additional $7,000.00 on this vehicle. I raised holy cain and told them to come and get the car,because if they didn't I was intending to sell it to get rid of these people. After, a few more months they came and got the car and refused to return my license plate, which I called into the local police station as a stolen plate. I realized that this so called $7,000.00 was going to be charged off under my name and someone was driving around with a car under that varience. Now I get another bill after someone (I checked my credit report) to verify that I was correct is driving a $7,000.00 car discharged under my name and now they want me to pay another 5,622.03 after making all my payments. These three sided financial scam deal has to be STOPPED. The account number for this Synergetic bill is #3246611 and there phone number is 866-793-5401 and there address is 5450 N.W. Central #220 Houston TX 77092-2016 Quoting the famous Mr. Gump "that;s all I have to say about that" I hope this gets to the right authorities and I get some help with this situation.

bobs83
12/4/12

Man this place low balls cars . Signs everywhere say they can offer lower prices and higher for trades . CarMax said No Haggle of course not they are picking the better price every deal .

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the CarMax staff and other customers.

CarMax?