Review of Bright Cellars

Tel: 1-844-BCELLAR
concierge@brightcellars.com

haydens40
5/16/19

Very surprised pleasantly with the quality of liquors this is most adversiable and wine taste is best. Staff that would be super attention . Enjoying the wines they have chosen for me. I would reccomended to the family and friends.

kateb173
3/20/19

Everything from signing up, to receiving wine, to even canceling my membership due to finance issues was a good experience. Definitely recommend.

ellens181
3/16/19

horrible, undrinkable wines, and the algorythm for determining your tatses is a joke. Nooo!!!! must be a scam to unload horrible vintages. No sommelliers here.

kylej74
3/11/19

In your account setting/summary, it does not mention anything about shipments of wine or if you are locked into a reoccurring charge. You must email them to cancel your order. This company has a "Scam Artist" feel, I would not order from them or set up an account if you haven't already. As far as their wine. It is overly expensive and not very good quality. It is obvious they are trying to sell cheap wine and make you think that it is quality wine.

joannab71
Joanna B.
1/16/19

It is extremely difficult to cancel service, which is the reason I would tell people to stay away unless you have no problem getting this service indefinitely. I've tried multiple times and even told them I'm MOVING OUT OF THE COUNTRY, and they still are trying to just put my account on a hold....

It seems they are trying to be helpful and flexible, but I don't appreciate not being allowed to cancel my account.

benr128
12/17/18

Tried to cancel my account after getting more shipments than I planned on. Tried to cancel my account, had to send 4 emails back to the "wine concierge" just to get the response "At this time as mentioned, we're currently unable to arrange indefinite holds (only temporary), as our system does require a tentative reactivation date. Because of this, I went ahead and put your account on hold for the next 6 months. Your next order will now process on June 5th, 2019." They just wait until you forget about your account to charge you more.

andream314
11/19/18

They always send me some great tasting wines, but personally I'm not very picky when it comes to wine. I just wish they could send more, sometimes four bottles is just not enough...

michaels1694
9/20/18

I had placed an order but didn't receive it all. They offered to send it out with my next shipment, so in a month. It has been 3 months but haven't receive the rest of the order or a refund. The company was quick to ask me to review the wines, but not quick to remedy a complaint. They weren't sure if I still wanted the rest of my order even though I had paid for it because I cancelled my subscription. Would you really want to keep a subscription when you don't know if you will receive the items?

stanw50
8/23/18

I could not continue do to non- associative health reasons. This is a 5 star operation. Try it ! Customer service personalized and a phone call away.

kjb4
6/30/18

The wine is fair at best. You get the same bottles every month and they taste cheap. Many times I have poured them down the drain.
My problem is trying to cancel the subscription . I have called, emailed and even tried snail mail. Look on their website there is NO WAY TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION...once they get your credit card BEWARE. I am still trying to cancel my subscription. The wine is bad

kathyl221
6/19/18

If you know anything about wine, you will steer clear of this subscription. The wines are bought from Wine Direct for about $3.00-$4.00 and are sold for $15 min.
They also cannot give any information about the vineyards where they get the wine or how it's grown, because the don't even have that information. Sad.

beccaf7
6/8/18

I was skeptical at first of my wine selection chosen for me. However, my wines ended up being delicious and they made me being to be a bit mor adventurous with my wine types. I ended up having to cancel my subscription for financial reasons. The wine concierge that helped me postpone my account was extremely helpful and kind. If a monthly shipment isnt for you, they do have bimonthly and quarterly shipments available. I have nothing but good things to say about this company. I HIGHLY recommend trying it.

harrisl17
5/15/18

Great wine good price point, super helpful concierge service. Always there when you need something especially to help update wine cart

danm329
5/12/18

Received Bright Cellars as a gift, delivery was quick from their Illinois warehouse with cool neat packaging. Wines were super and high end. Highly recommend

debq
5/4/18

Took the quiz and of all the wines they said I would like, there wasn't one that I would like (at least based on other wines of those types). They pointed me towards light, fruity wines, when I like only full-bodied, dry wines (like Cab Sauv and heavily wooded Chardonnay). Definitely not an accurate approach for identifying wines people will like...

stevene80
4/28/18

The algorithm that they use to try and match you to wines is so rancid and off base that the initial (introductory) bottles were so bad two went immediately down the drain, two we tried for almost and month to cook with and after destroying three meals they also went down the drain and the last one we just threw out without opening.

Even if they gave the wine too you free it would be over-priced

The second order (sent after we had actually tried unsuccessfully to cancel- Sitting on hold for 15 minutes only to be transferred to voice mail on two separate occasions.) We were even more disappointed then with the first.

karlt28
4/19/18

I really enjoy Bright Cellars. I was a little hesitant at first, but after my first few orders I'm really into it. In my first order, I only got two bottles that I really liked. The next order I got three I liked, and since then I've enjoyed almost all of them. And then when I don't like a certain wine, I just cork it and bring it to a party where it gets happily drank.

A big thing is that I started by drinking mostly reds, because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. But I kept enjoying whites more than the reds, and now I almost exclusively drink white wine. Idk, maybe it's a body thing or dryness thing. Or maybe I just prefer citrus to other fruit flavors. Or maybe I just don't like leather and dirt flavors.

The biggest hassle for Bright Cellars is the delivery, having to be present to sign for a package since it's booze. But they gave me a great solution to this. There is a FedEx just a couple blocks outside of my commute home, so I just stop by when the package arrives and pick it up. And they hold it for like a week so I don't even need to get it any certain day.

Bright Cellars is great, it helped me expand my wine palate, and when I don't like a wine, someone else almost always does. Recommend.

amyl261
4/17/18

This company is amazing. The customer service team is incredibly helpful and I even found a new wine varietal that I love but had never heard of called Bonarda. I'm a mom of 3, so I really appreciate that they help me get out of my comfort zone and try wines I wouldn't take the time to choose on my own. A little box of me time every month!!

sofias32
4/12/18

Bright Cellars gets me through every month. They send quality and unique wines that never disappoint. Its great not having to go to the store and face the challenge of picking out decent wine after a long work week. I just come home and my package is waiting for me! I have recommended their service to all of my friends and fellow wine lovers.

brittanyl45
4/5/18

Maybe I misread, but I was expecting to get bottles of wine that were from different wineries around the world, not from the same exact distributer of (AWDirect). I did get further clarification after cancelling my subscription from the representative:

On our website, you will find that we explain the following. "We focus on finding unique, hidden gems from small vineyards from all over the world, including Italy, Spain, Portugal, and South America." I do want to explain the difference between a winery and a vineyard since you mentioned that you were expecting to receive wines from different wineries all over the world. A vineyard is a plantation of grape-bearing vines grown for wine-making while a winery is a licensed building or property that produces its own wine. What Bright Cellars does, as I quoted, is source grapes from vineyards all over the world to create our own wines. We do not advertise that we sell wines from other wineries across the world.

After sourcing grapes from small vineyards across the world, we bring the fermented juice from these grapes to our wine suppliers in the United States. AWDirect is one of our wine suppliers which means that they take the internationally sourced fermented juice from the grapes and they simply bottle, age and store our wines. Our wine concierges and Sommelier do sample these wines and we can make changes if we decide to so that we can provide our members with the best product. As our website states, "only 1 in 12 wines we taste at Bright Cellars make it into monthly collections. Your matches are selected from these collections of the best to fit you."

Bright Cellars does not, as you put it, "re-brand unoriginal bottles for money". The wines we are creating are entirely our own. Our labels (Forty Winks, Burrasca, Folk & Fable, etc.) were created by our team and company leaders. Yes, each label is associated with a different region. For example, our Burrasca label is one of our Italian labels. The reason it is labeled as such is because the wines under this label are made with grapes grown and fermented in Italy. The same concept applies to our other brands meaning you are indeed receiving wines that are internationally sourced and originally made by us.

I hope I have cleared things up, Brittany. I apologize for any confusion that may have stemmed from this review. I can assure you that we work hard to provide our members with unique wines they'll love and that we are very transparent in our process. I can also assure you that you are receiving a quality, original product. If you have further questions, please feel free to let me know!
----
Essentially, it is all the same wine, all the same distributer and they just rebrand and send it to you. If you enjoy the wine and want to keep supporting one very large distributer, continue the subscription. If you want to expand your taste and support smaller wineries who put pride into their wines, sign up for Winestyr.

halila2
3/25/18

This was my first time ordering wine from bright cellar. The wines they sent were really good. Way better than l expected for the price. Their costumer service is amazing, very helpful and quick. I think l will continue to buy my wine from bright cellars from now on.

tammya37
3/9/18

I received my first shipment of cheeses from Bright Cellars. All are delicious and fresh. Selection was varied and I get to try cheeses that I have not tried before. The company is easy to work with and would be great for gift-giving.
Thanks!

emilyk69
3/9/18

I thought it was so cool that Bright Cellars has you take a little quiz to kind of see what your taste buds like and with that fancy algorithm they can figure out some wines you might like! It worked wonderfully! I like wines more on the sweet side and I'm pretty picky so I was a bit nervous but they nailed it! It's fun because I never know which wine to try next and this gives you 5 to check out! Give it a try!!!

linneag2
3/1/18

I've canceled my subscription after a polite, lengthy exchange with one of the concierges about how Bright Cellars selects their wines. I was taken aback by how frequently I would receive wines from the same label (not the same exact wine, but like a pinot noir, sauvignon blanc, red blend, etc. etc. all from the same label). I'd only been a subscriber for about 6 months and had gotten as many as 6 wines from one label already, which wasn't the variety I was expecting.

Then the concierge explained that the labels on each bottle of wine aren't labels from wineries at all, but are labels devised BY BRIGHT CELLARS to market the wine that they source NOT from "small wineries around the world" like the website says, but from a supplier called AWDirect. Let me explain what the concierge explained to me, with quotes from our conversation, so you know what you're getting:

- First, AWDirect receives the wines from a "wine supplier or maker" (meaning, I presume, this supplier could be many more steps removed from the actual vineyard producing the wine).
- Then AWDirect cultivates and ages the wine "with their own processes," sending perioc samples to Bright Cellars for evaluation. BC can "request adjustments be made to certain wines if we would like to see more specific flavors."
- When BC is satisfied with AWDirect's product, they label the wines under various Bright Cellars labels such as Forty Winks, Burrasca, Folk & Fable, or Castele de Varao (the labels themselves don't reference BC, which I find very suspicious... why not be transparent about who is labeling the wines?). They determine which label to use based on region, and "can slightly alter the way they taste to fit that brand's description... Since we have the ability to alter the wines slightly we're able to make them taste similar."
- Then BC ships us our boxes of wine that we think are sourced directly from small vineyards around the world, but have in fact been passed from one supplier to another, aged and altered by multiple different handlers, and adjusted by BC to apparently fit our tastes better.

I don't know about you, but that isn't what I signed up for.

martyr27
2/9/18

If the wines being sent to you were even remotely interesting it would be worth it. If the customer service was great, it would be worth it. If the wines were actually quality, it would be worth it. Instead, you get terrible customer service making it impossible to cancel, and you get wines that basically are Apothic Red/White and have absolutely no flavor to them. All you are paying for is the convenience of having the wine shipped to you, which honestly, I'd rather peruse the shelves of a liquor store than waste money on a sub-par rebranded wine that is barely drinkable. Maybe the sweet wines are good, but I don't drink sweet wine. All of the dry wines are entirely unremarkable and not worth the price in any way.

Yes and No. While the company would prefer not to, for obvious reasons, they are also very customer service oriented and will work with you.

By M C.

Just send an email to the concierge asking them to cancel. They will reply asking if you'd like to postpone your shipments. Just say no, you want to cancel. And they will cancel your account.

By Kate B.

Yes. Very clearly and in multiple places, with warnings regarding who not to deliver the package to (including intoxicated people).

By Anonymous R.

Questions? Get answers from the Bright Cellars staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Bright Cellars