Review of BookOutlet

St. Catharines, ON L2R 7L9, US
Tel: 1-888-402-7323

shawnn54
2/7/19

This company sends out badly damaged books--does not refund or replace these damaged books--buy at your own risk!!!! They take NO responsibility for the books they send that are damaged. The first photo is the dust jacket torn away on a book costing over $30.00...second was one of several damaged from being shipped in cheap boxes. The third photo is on another high end book...

katieo39
1/24/19

- Bargain Books still come dented or torn instead of being charged as "Scratch and Dent".
- Longest shipping time ever.
- Some of the new Hardbacks are only a $1 cheaper than Amazon. Making a $5 shipping fee plus 2-3 weeks delivery not worth the hassle.
- Website regularly has issues, especially during Sales.
- If you purchase a book, they will refund you if it's suddenly not available. I put it in my cart and ordered it, but this doesn't mean you'll get it. They needed a better ordering system in terms of confirming your claim on a book.
- The point system can take over 2 weeks. Months, it can take months.

You get what you pay for. It was a nice 1-year run, but I'm going back to my used bookstore and Amazon for now on. Both are quicker and nearly similar priced in many regards.

Response from Book O., BookOutlet Representative
Hi Katie,
I'm terribly sorry to see there was a negative experience with us - please feel most welcome to reach out to our Customer Service department to explore options that will suit you best. You can either send us an email directly or create a service ticket on our website. From there we'd be very happy to ensure we get this looked after.
Very sincerely,

jodieannc
10/23/18
• Updated review

The customer service agent was very responsive and they offered to either re-send the items or give me a refund. I didn't have to return the items. They also gave me a discount code to use for a future purchase. Overall I am satisfied with how they responded to the matter.

Response from Book O., BookOutlet Representative
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad we were able to get this sorted out!

Until next time,
“Extremely disappointed”
10/6/18
• Previous review

I have been using book outlet for about 2 years and I've never had an issue with any of my orders. Until today. I ordered two comics and ended up with a COOKBOOK and a NUTRITION BOOK. How they thought these were even related is unfathomable. I noticed that the packaging was very different from what I have received in the past so I'm wondering if they used a third party? I created a customer service ticket and await their response. I would have vouched for this company hands down, but this is extremely disappointing and I am now wary of placing further orders with them.

lucast29
8/21/18

Well, after reading a few of the negative reviews on here I crossed my fingers and waited for my books. They were all in perfect condition and I got them a few days early. There is nothing else that could have gone better with my order. Perfect price. All books in New condition even though I bought from the "return" or whatever quality. I only wish the site had a larger selection so I could buy all my books from here.

Response from Book O., BookOutlet Representative
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review!

Best wishes,
billh351
8/1/18

I've ordered many dozens of books and have ALWAYS received exactly what I ordered and the books are in perfect condition. Other than a small black mark on the bottom identifying it as a book that was purchased from a bookstore that had it on the shelf too long. Never ordered the scratch and dent versions even though I could save a few dollars. It says right on the site they may be damaged. Just bought a two book series and Book Outlet only had the first book so I had to buy book 2 from Barnes and Noble. You can't tell them apart as far as quality goes. Book Outlet cost $5.39 Barnes and Noble cost $14.89.
And, I'm a Barnes and Noble paid member.

Response from Book O., BookOutlet Representative
Thanks so much for the positive feedback - glad we are able to meet your book needs! :)

Kindest regards,
tammyf78
7/31/18

I received a book that was heavily damaged in one corner (the dust jacket had two 1" tears and was crinkled up, the cover board was scrunched in, and the last 60 pages were folded up). It was a "bargain" book, not a "scratch and dent," so it wasn't supposed to have damage.

I wanted to return the book for a refund (or exchange it if they were getting more in stock), but Book Outlet only offered a 50% refund since they didn't think the damage warranted more. They said their books are always going to have additional shelf wear, and that most companies would not take liability for products that arrive damaged. There's a big difference between normal shelf wear and actual damage, and I don't know any companies that wouldn't take full responsibility for not packing their products adequately for shipment. Seems disingenuous for a company to boast about the great condition of their books but then dismiss damage as "shelf wear" you should have expected.

They offered a full credit for the book to my Book Outlet account after multiple messages, but by then I was fed up. They have cheap prices, but if they're sending damaged books that have to be repurchased elsewhere at full price it means spending extra money and dealing with extra hassle.

katez16
7/24/18

Stay away!!! This site is a scam!!! I have ordered from them and then they ended up not sending the books I made the whole order for even though they were still in stock on the website. They refunded but I was still without the books I actually wanted. I tried messaging them twice and NO ONE would respond. It appears they have no customer service and pick and choose what to send you. There are MUCH better book sites out there to purchase from that actually have a customer service. This is the worst book buying site I have used and I am an avid book buyer so have used them all.

Response from Book O., BookOutlet Representative
I'm so sorry for the mishap - please feel most welcome to contact our Customer Service department for assistance: help@bookoutlet.com, or you can create a service ticket on our website directly.

Best wishes,
kathleenk127
5/31/18

Boom asked my 16 year old daughter to advertise on her makeup site for their company for a discount on their products. Not only was my credit card charged she never got the products that she ordered. Emailed them multiply times to hear (sorry mailing them out) and still nothing. I think this company is a SCAM!!!

Response from Book O., BookOutlet Representative
Hello Kathleen,
I'm sorry, but we sell books and not make-up. I'm afraid you have posted to the wrong forum for your review.
Thank you kindly - Alona - BookOutlet
kaylae11
5/18/18

I have purchased over $350 worth of books recently, and used many of the coupons I've saved from my recent orders.

Upon receiving damaged items, I contacted the Book Outlet Customer Service. I was told that they would give me credits for the books that were damaged. Then, I received a message saying that because I had used multiple coupons, this would "need to be looked into".

No response from customer service since then, as it appears I am being entirely ignored. While they were investigating my use of multiple coupons, they should've investigated their obvious lying about the condition of books on their site. Denying me a return/refund/credit for items that were NOT AS DESCRIBED is ridiculous.

My family visits the Book Outlet retail store at least once a week (has been since it was literally opened), and I make many purchases myself. But my business will be going elsewhere, as will the rest of my family's, and all of my 5 star reviews will be changed because this kind of behaviour is juvenile and I won't purchase from a company that can't own up to its own quality errors and instead tries to turn it around on the customer.

zoem22
9/8/17

I ordered 7 books off BookOutlet and when they arrived, they looked like they were in BRAND new condition. It literally looked like none of the books had even been cracked open ever. Incredibly satisfied!

Also, books arrived sooner than they had stated!

lornet4
7/10/17

"S" - Scratch and Dent Version is where you expect some small flaw or the appearance of slight usage. In my most recent order of five books, one was tagged as an "S". Unfortunately it was a Bible with the cover reversed with the front on the back and vice versa. Otherwise it was in perfect condition. But who wants a Bible with a confusing cover? So, really a total loss despite the low price.
The most expensive book of the five was rated "B", but looks like its previous life was spent as a sample in a lumber yard. The third book, also rated "B" appears used, the type you expect to get at a garage sale for fifty cents. Book #4, although not pristine, is what you might see on the shelves of Chapters or Coles: OK. Well, the fifth book is a gem and is truly a bargain.
The moral of the story: if the book you want has an "S" version available, save some money and buy it, because that is what you will likely get anyway.
And dear BookOutlet, if the cover is not attached properly, be sure to mention it in the description or just keep it for yourself.

Response from Book O., BookOutlet Representative
Good morning Lorne,

I am so sorry you received books in a condition you did not expect. "Scratch & Dent books may have dents, scratches, torn or missing dust jackets etc. but will be structurally sound and completely readable. If they are for any reason compromised structurally, we will reship the book or put a refund through for the item if we no longer have it in stock. The 110% guarantee will not apply to these items."

Our bargain books " will always be new and in good condition. Since our books are publisher overstocks there may be very minor wear or bends to the book and this can be expected since some items may have been handled a few times, but most of our books are in great condition."

Please forward pictures of the damage and your order number to help@bookoutlet.com and we will help you further.

Looking forward to finding the best possible resolution.

Kind regards

Mindy
BookOutlet
maryanns16
2/17/17

I ordered a book (third party purchase) that was sent from the Book Outlet. Enclosed was a bookmarker that said "You can't buy happiness but you can buy books and it's kind of the same thing." Never truer words spoken. I have faced some debilitating health issues that have changed my lifestyle, but nothing, absolutely nothing, will change the joy I derive from my books. The bookmark is sealed in plastic and is a treasure. Thank you!

emilyg65
1/23/17

I spent a lot of money on this site and will no longer purchase from them anymore due to poor customer service. Warning: do not believe what you see on Youtube about Book Outlet. Books vary in condition. Things that are marked as not scratch and dent may come with tears and dents. If you complain much, customer service will begin to ignore you completely. You can open a ticket and they will close it, not even tell you, and speak with you no further. Prices are good but very unpredictable condition of books. To have customer service not answer you after multiple attempts is unacceptable. Not worth the cheap prices!

Tip for consumers: Stay away from this site if you want good customer service. Better to find another of the many online book retailers if they can actually respond to customer service inquiries.

lisal232
Lisa L.
12/23/16

My husband ordered gift cards for my Christmas present, but they will not be received in time for the holiday. I should have done more research into this company before I gave him my Christmas list. Now I'm worried once I am able to order, what condition my books will be in upon receipt - it may be next Christmas before I receive them, at their current rate of speed! Disappointed thus far, hope they leave me pleasantly surprised in the future. If so, I will update my review. Fingers crossed!

leannk1
11/16/16

I ordered new books and when I got them 1 book had stains on the pages, several had a dent or small hole, and all of them were a little dirty. I loved the price but was a little dissapointed with the condition of the "new" books.

kcr2
10/4/16

I placed my first order ever with BookOutlet last week and got my books today and they are in GREAT shape!! Shipping was pretty fast and all my books came perfectly!! I am so happy! They don't have every book but they did have a large selection and the prices were better than I've seen anywhere else for the books I was searching for!

christopherr63
6/16/16

There are a lot of good deals on the website. I usually order around big ones like the boxing day sale. Not a fan of the mark on the books at all. Also, it's really hard to find the kind of books I read on the site. They don't have a way to search for queer lit on the site. Still I was able to find some books I would be interested in ordering before the last sale. It just took a long time.

adamp46
11/16/15

I had a long-standing relationship with Bookoutlet. I had ordered several hundred dollars worth of books from them over the course of the past year or so, when I ran into a problem. It seems that Bookoutlet didn't have the books needed to complete my order. So, rather than contacting me, they just sent the wrong order and charged my credit card anyway.

In these kinds of situations, it's usually not a big deal to get some kind of refund worked out. I was willing to accept a partial refund for a partial return of the merchandise, but Bookoutlet wouldn't have it. I filled out an e-ticket explaing the problem, and they closed the ticket without resolving the problem. I tried to file another e-ticket and suddently the ticketing system didn't work. I called customer service and "Melissa" at customer service gave me the run around and wouldn't help resolve the situation at all.

I had to report the fraudulent charge to Visa, ship the supporting documentation to Visa, and I am still waiting for a refund for fraud from Visa. It's definitely not worth saving a few bucks on overstock books when you have to spend several hours to trying to get your money back for fraudulent charges. Stay away from Bookoutlet.

Response from Book O., BookOutlet Representative
Hello Adam,

I am so sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with our company. Although some time has passed, we would like to turn this around for you. Please feel free to reach out to us at help@bookoutlet.com and provide an explanation of the situation from your end and your order ID or the email address on your account with us. We would be happy to review how this was handled and make it right. Thanks for your honest comments - they help us to serve our customers better.

Kind Regards,

Jaimie
Book Outlet
karenb93
12/31/14

This review is for www.bookoutlet.com

LOVE this store!!! GREAT drastically discounted prices on NEW books including those recently published!!! Check out the scratch & dent section for even more savings!! I've ordered from this company at least 5 times and every scratch & dent book I received might have had a small scuff mark! These books are so incredibly discounted!! Checkout the site, you will be amazed!!!

3-16-2016 UPDATE
I have ordered books from Bookoutlet.com at least 8 times since my initial review and each time I have been EXTREMELY SATISFIED WITH MY PURCHASES!!! The discounts are truly amazing, but when they have a "sale" or coupon, it is unbelievable!! For example, I purchased a cookbook that sells for $39.95 at Barnes & Noble, from the "Scratch & Dent" section of BOOK OUTLET for $6.99 and it looks BRAND NEW!!! That's more than 75% off the suggested retail price!! Amazon had the identical book listed for $27.80!

I always receive my books within 3-4 days of purchase!

My husband got hooked on this site and orders 1-2 times a month!!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SITE!!! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

Tip for consumers: 1. Check out the "Scratch & Dent" section for greater discounts.
2. Join mailing list for coupons and notice of "special" sales.
3. Check site often; inventory is constantly changing.
4. If you find a book at a great price, check to see quantity available.

Response from Book O., BookOutlet Representative
Thank you for your raving review! It is wonderful to see a very satisfied customer. Read on!

Jaimie
Book Outlet

Hello, Thank you for your question. Many of our hardcover Scratch and Dent copies do have dust jackets, however, there is always the possibility that it may not. If you can provide a title and ISBN, I can have our quality control staff see if it will have a jacket or not. All the best, Kristina Book Outlet

By Book O., BookOutlet Representative

Questions? Get answers from the BookOutlet staff and other customers.

9 Photos for BookOutlet