Review of Backcountry

Tel: 1-800-409-4502
groupsales@backcountry.com

brentg18
2/10/19

I had 2 live chat customer service experiences on Backcountry.com. Both Avery C and Sam T were patient, super knowledgeable, helpful, and very responsive with all my questions. They helped guide me through several Q+A and ultimately land the perfect pair of snowboarding pants and goggles. I have no reason to buy elsewhere anymore. Backcountry.com is The place to shop. Thank you.

kelseyh33
1/16/19

Warning, if you are planning to return anything it takes 2 or more weeks just to get your money back. They confirmed that they received my item on Friday and it is now Wednesday of the next week without my money back. On top of all this the customer service employee I spoke with obviously hated his job and was not friendly or helpful at all.

deec107
1/6/19

I ordered 3 items and received free 2 day shipping. The tracking info from ontrac did not update to ship. Called ontrac and they said they never received the package. Called backcountry customer service. The lady on the phone, US based, apologized, marked the package as lost, and issued me a new package with 1 day air UPS delivery from VA to CA. Received the items as promised. Great customer service.

jacka169
12/13/18

Ordered a large Nemo bag. Purchase order said "Large". Got a "Regular". Returned it with a promise of "We will make this right". Got the second bag... "Regular". Returned it. A very nice young lady said they 'had inventory problems' and she did not think they would find a Large. Wasted three weeks and had to cancel hike twice.
Don't waste your time!

susank518
12/12/18

Placed order for a couple of snowboard bags - prices were pretty good. Received 1 right away. Only email I received was that order was split in 2 shipments. no problem. Wait about 1 week and sent chat to find out when 2nd item could be expected? Was told that was on back order and since I didn't respond the email (which was never sent) they canceled it. Very disappointed. Would never order from here again. Not worth the hassle.

lisas970
11/28/18

It's the 21st of November....Google tells me the Fenix 5s is $150 off....I have wanted one for a while, and Backcountry had the turquoise and silver. So I ordered it....BEFORE BLACK FRIDAY. I'm all happy. A few days pass and I get an email sayimg that shipping may be delayed due to the of high volume or orders....that was Sunday. Still ok. Today is Wednesday, a week later and still no shipping email or delivery. So, I check my order online and it says something like "impossible" next to my order number. So, I call customer service and they say it's back ordered and will not be getting any more this year.

I asked her when were they going to tell me this because the email said something entirely different...she just said that's why they provide their number in the email, and now I called I got my answer. I told her she obviously didn't understand the point I was getting at...be up front and honest. If there is a problem, then say what it is instead of dragging people along, forcing people to take time and energy out to call, only to be told they ain't getting it, and too freaking bad....

Backcountry will not be seeing me on their website again after this...Thankfully Amazon has it, and will be here tomorrow

sherryc126
11/21/18

Ordered boots for my husband and they arrived the next day! Great price... Much lower than any other site. I will order from them again.

simons136
9/25/18

I purchased a jacket, didn't like it, and returned it. Me not liking the jacket was not Backcounty's responsibility - rather my preference. So, at the end of the day, I'm whole, minus a little time invested and small return shipping cost. However, the experience of engaging this organization, from the very first phone call, to their awkward and misleading coupon advertisements, to the attitude of the sales staff, to their lack of follow up, requiring more of my time, is why I will not be back. How employees are treated and respected by their management is how, in turn, they will treat customers. Seems like a sweat shop to me.

richardg533
9/7/18

Noticed wrong shipping address on my order within 2 hours or so after I placed it (my mistake). Called BC, "we'll fix it, no problem." Tracked with OnTrac next day, still wrong address. Called OnTrac, BC didn't change with us, but "We'll fix it." Called BC back to ensure they would press OnTrac... sure... we'll send email to person in charge of that. Next day (original delivery day), address still wrong... OnTrac said they'll fix and get to me on time. Later, no change... delivery pushed from Friday to Monday... BC and OnTrac "can do nothing". Don't count on these people.

brentm101
8/29/18

While I prepare for our UPS driver to arrive, I would love to take a moment and thank backcountry.com. I am SO impressed with how quickly my order was processed and shipped. Wow, a great deal and FREE shipping. As a minimalist, I may not be the greatest customer but backcountry.com will get all of my future business nonetheless. Nice work, BC.

And a special shout-out to UPS!!

benjaminn25
8/17/18

Ordered a tent as my family was leaving for a camping retreat, took advantage of the 2 days shipping. When the tent didn't arrive on time, I called to learn that it was never shipped. I got an apology but it was cold and almost like this is not the first time that people called them. No discounts was offered, nothing! By the way, when I made the order of the tent, I was supposed to get a discount as a new customer, as their website advertised, but when I couldn't activate the discount, I called them, and they said that since the tent was on sale they were not able to offer the discount. What?
Now I have to see how I can get them not to send me an advertisements because I'll hate to talk to them again!

elaineb142
7/31/18

My order was sitting on a shelf and I got an email thanking me for my order. It will now be 2 days late for my daughter-in-laws birthday. I wish I had read reviews for this company before using. Never again!! Something is terribly wrong when they promise 2 day shipping and don't even connect with warehouse to have it sent out!! Beware of this company - save yourself aggravation and order with another site.

kkl2
6/18/18

I made an order because they are offering free 2 days shipping for $50 above.

10 hours later, received an email asked me to check with my credit card company for their verification code.

Made my called, replied the email in less than 20 min. Happily waiting for my items to be shipped.

Still no tracking number after 36 hours, log on and found out my order still on hold, status is "contact customer Service"

Contact live chart customer regarding my orderstatus, customer service told me NOW i can give them the code again, so that they can proceed and ship on the following day, but it won't meet my deadline as recipient is leaving the country.

Cancel order.

p/s: No apologized given!

jamesr668
6/1/18

In the last 2 weeks I have had several orders and a couple of returns with Backcountry and they have exceeded my expectations by far. dealing with the company and its employees has been a pleasure i will use Backcountry for all my major camping needs

mikek312
4/26/18

I bought two bike tires that I didn't like, I returned them for a credit. They now have the tires as confirmed by UPS. Backcountry tells me that it will be several days before I receive the credit. They will not let me know when the credit is issued. They have no explanation why this will take so long. The service is so much better at a company that begins with the letter A. I was telling all my friends what a good company Backcountry is, now, not so much!

iw75
3/14/18

They sent me the wrong item and now I have to obtain shipping material,etc to return THEIR mistake at my expense. They charged my credit card for the incorrect item that they sent. Be sure to read the Terms of Use before ordering....Too many quality companies out their to order from than to take a chance with them....I wish I had read reviews before ordering....

kdak
3/6/18

shipped (and charged me) for the wrong item 3 times. One of the items was defective and due to breaking back didn't notice until went to use it outside their 30 day window. Tried to return and got it sent back, now have a pair of $200 useless pants. Stick to someone like Patagonia or REI.

patrickk84
2/8/18

I order the coat a size bigger and the coat felt like it was 3 sizes too small.
I got a refund number and after a month and a half no refund. Many tries to
contact them and after the first couple they don't respond any more.

brians355
2/4/18

Their people are not empowered to make customers happy, they were selling an item on Backcountry and Steep/Cheap, but posted the lower price after I bought, same company, two different prices, they would not price match their own discount site. The assistant said her Manager would not let her price match an internal site... We are talking $30, really....to make their customer happy... Not sure I would purchase from them again, great service but really your own site! The agent said always check Steep & Cheap before buying on BC, great idea, I will now check everyone site and buy else where I guess. One disappointed customer.

tracys146
1/3/18

Ordered a gift for my husband on 12/5. On 12/19 the updates said my order was in China. Next update said it would be delivered 1/2/18. Still waiting. Calling tomorrow for a refund. DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!

dand230
12/20/17

Order a Canada Goose parka in graphite. Johnny I thought was great sales rep until I never received order email. After 3 hours I decided I should call. The rep told me I need an authorization code from my cc company? Really how was I suppose to know this. Asked to speak to manager(Latisha). She told me its standard practice and I had to call my cc company for authorization code. I asked for her to hold while I called she reluantly agreed and told me to hurry she didnt have time. I explained how was I suppose to know this and she stated an email was sent to check my spam? Really who checks their spam on a daily basis. Credit card company says the company needs to call for the code. Latisha had no idea that she was suppose to call no the customer. Anyway got the secret code. Latisha processes order and sends email with wrong color of coat then originally ordered! Really. I call back and now the rep tells me Latisha is in a meeting. right! She finally gets on the phone and tells me the originally color is sold out. Why did Johnny order it for me then? No answer from Latisha. What I learned from ordering from backcountry. There customer service and s horrible, their sales reps untrained and their management is not customer service oriented. Latisha had no answers and this company is very questionable. Not sure how they are stilll in business if they cant process simple $925 order. I would have been waiting for this item forever if I didnt call. Do purchase anything from them. Very unprofessional and scratchy.

leeannee
12/14/17

I ordered an item for Christmas. I contacted them multiple times and kept being told there was a delay so, I cancelled the order and requested a refund. Still waiting for my refund...BEWARE! This place is a scam!

joeb338
12/5/17

Ryan is fantastic. I always read the reviews, but rarely post one unless I'm really frustrated. This is not the case and I felt compelled to write this review simply because the service was fantastic. With Ryan's vast knowledge of both the products and the outdoors....and his patience, I was able to determine what gear I needed in addition to trying to figure out which tent was best for me. It came down to the BA copper spur hv lv 3 vs the nemo dagger 3p. I ended up going with the BA because the doors are bigger, it vents better, has more places to hold stuff and more storage in general. I highly recommend backcountry.com

ashv9
11/16/17

I tried to purchase an item on this website and when I checked the order status it was unable to be fufilled. So I checked my bank acct and realized they kept pulling out money until my acct was empty and the order could no longer be fulfilled .. almost $650 was pulled out of my acct without my authorization. After speaking to the rep from backcountry multiple times, they cancelled my 1 order and returned the 4 orders they pulled from my acct. that was yesterday. Today I looked on my acct and they did the same thing! Stay far away from this website. No discount is worth this. Stick with REI atleast theyre trustworthy.

nicolet157
11/14/17

I dont normally write reviews, especially negative ones. I myself am a small business owner and I know how people love to just blast service industry companies online but I seriously had a horrible experience with backcountry. I ordered boots on amazon that came from them, never having ordered from them before I was not aware of their terrible customer service rating. The wrong boots arrived, when I contacted them they blamed amazon, ok, amazon gets it wrong I gave them that. So I ordered again and again the wrong boot came, now its getting late in the season and all the boots in my size are disappearing. So I call this time and am told the boot I was trying to get doesnt exist anymore. I switch styles and spend more money, crossing my fingers that the correct boot arrives. Nope, wrong boot for the third time, again I call and a nice gentleman finds the boot I was trying to order tells me there is one left in my size and he is shipping it to me. Even more hopeful this time because I talked to a person who understood the boot I was wanting etc, feeling confident. Got box opened and wrong boot, its the same boot that I got last time. Now we are on boot number 4, again I call and speak to another man who chastises me for ordering shoes online, rude, and then tells me the boot I wanted is all sold out. Perfect, so now the only boot left in my size is this one I didnt want in the first place. I ask for a discount, he puts me on hold for a long time comes back on and asks how 10% is I say not enough and he says thats what they can offer. Big deal a whole $13 off my boots for getting shipped the wrong one FOUR times. There is clearly a disconnect between the warehouse and their POS/catalogue system and obvious $#*!ty customer service. So like I said in the title just move on go to another site dont bother with backcountry

That is another problem with Backcountry. Even when you buy enough to have the "free shipping", you're penalized for returns and exchanges. Just a bad corporate model all the way around. Real outfitters like REI, Moosejaw and Sierra Trading Post are all better options.

By Jack R.

I ordered something and had it literally arrive on 2 days. I had a positive experience, overall.

By katy R.

Because they are not a reputable company at all. Stay away from them.

By PatricK K.

Call them.

By Rafa H.

Questions? Get answers from the Backcountry staff and other customers.

Backcountry?