US Government's NSF

300 Baker Ave
concord, ma 01742

121 Reviews for Kayak.com

Review Highlights

I always use the search then link directly to the airline's own website.

my favorite travel site - they just added links to southwest fares.

great travel site - Kayak's one of my favorite travel sites.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

7/18/14

Don't book hotels through Kayak. You will regret it.
Kayak provides the worst customer service in the industry. Modifying reservations is not allowed (they hide that detail by having a cancellation policy and not a word about modifying reservations).
Kayak also uses 3rd party companies to complete the booking. They say that only at the last stage of the booking. You'd think Kayak would assist you if there's an issue, since you are making the reservation through your Kayak account, but nope! Not at all.
These 3rd party companies are very low level. You'd never do business with them had they not been masked by Kayak branding.
Sorry. That's the way it is. Proceed at your own risk...

7/6/14

I absolutely hate kayak with a passion now. They ruined my whole entire trip, to the point where I was crying because the customer service was horrible over the phone and they wasted one hour of my time helping in NOTHING. I requested a none smoking room, but apparently on kayak they only put it as a preference not securely. Best Western offered to transfer me to another hotel as long as they transfer the payment but kayak wouldn't transfer the payment and said i would have to cancel and rebook but they would not give me the same rate. Therefore i had to stay in a smoking room. Best Western gave us free drinks (beer, wine, etc) to compensate for the lack of service from Kayak.

6/22/14

PLEASE READ THIS... NEVER USE KAYAK nor VAYAMA they are just a plain NIGHTMARE.

This is the absolut worst way to plan your trip!! horrific experience, unprepared staff, hour-long calls without being able to get any help at all.... our tickets we recieved an mail (money had already been debited) stating that our tickets had been cancelled and that we would have to take a different airline (about 14 hours longer , because of longer connection times) and paying a lot more money. This was completely unacceptable and we are still thinking of a lawsuit against this company..however, sadly, that was only the begginning... it started off really bad because after we bo about 45 days BEFORE OUR TRIP we tried to change the departure date (we had very flexible dates and practically any day within a 10 day period worked for us) however, VAYAMA staff kept telling us that we had to call the airline directly, and then they said that no dates were available, we just kept recieving emails (automated responses) stating that our requested changes were not possible and so on. It was really frustrating, HOWEVER, after all these try outs, my husband had to have and unexpected spinal surgery, therefore it was a MEDICAL EMERGENCY, and regardless of how well I explained the situation to Vayama (I offered to send medical records, hospital surgical report, dr´s medical letter, and anything else I could possibly think of- or Vayama could possibly ask) and still, the only thing we received was a standard- automated response ( the same we had recieved before) stating that our change was not possible. The whole thing happened again when we tried to change our return flight (calling several times after being told to call different numbers, airline directly, and so on) but ultimately not being able to do anything at all.. also important to state that we were never asked whether we wanted to use VAYAMA, to which off couse we would have said NO, but we were automatically redirected through KAYAK. Its really unbelievable that we recieved so little help and support, considering that as I told them, my husband had recently had cancer and undergone surgeries, chemo and radiation and therefore we had to have extra care with his spinal surgery and really needed to change that flight. We ended up taking the risk and flying because we did not want to loose USD2500 which is what we had payed for our tickets.

6/20/14

I booked a reservation the same day I needed the room. An hour later my scheduled changed and needed to cancel the room. The first customer service rep told me I needed to speak with the specific hotel. Then patched me over to the wrong hotel. I called the right hotel and they told me I needed to speak with getaroom.com. I called them back and they said I could cancel my reservation but would be charged the full amount. It had not beer more than an hour since I booked the room. Total scam. Never using either sites again. Stay away

6/9/14

I used Kayak to find a good rate on a hotel in Los Angeles. I was able to book a decent rate and all went well until I had to change a date on the reservation. There is a big disconnect between Kayak and its affiliate getaroom.com Kayak at this time can't update your trip record with anything changed on getaroom.com. Kayak still displays the old cancelled reservation with the title of the new reservation. The information between all these entities is not updated. The problem with a site like this is all the middlemen touching the reservation. Me -> Kayak -> getaroom.com -> Hotel. I had to call the hotel directly to make sure the reservation existed because I didn't have a valid confirmation number from any system.

5/25/14

Oh my, I'm not sure why I couldn't find this site before booking with them, but BAIT AND SWITCH IS WHAT IT SHOULD BE CALLED, if I could give a minus one, I would. That is illegal, isn't it. I made one reservation based on THEIR reviews that must be MADE UP, because when I reviewed it on another site it said EEWW!! stay away.. so I cancelled that reservation, and made another, which I reviewed prior to making the reservation they did have the best price and it was a holiday weekend so the prices were quite high as it was. But, I've been having a lot of financial troubles for the past 2 years, and haven't been able to take my son on a vacation for 2 years. So we made the reservation for 2 nights at Pensacola beach.. At the Best Western Blue Angel, had great reviews on and off their site, and great pictures on many sites.. so ok we had a reservation. I got up at 3 am to drive down. I was going to go directly to the beach but something told me to swing by on the way to the beach at the hotel even though it wasn't check in time. They immediately handed me a fax from kayak and said that they had received a phone call, that they made an error and they would have to send me to another hotel. Days Inn in Pensacola 5 miles away. When I called them they said I could cancel the hotel altogether if I wanted, they were giving me an UPGRADE?, after driving 7.5 hours to another state, holiday weekend, I decided to take it. It was getting later, so I decided to go on to the beach and deal with the hotel later, I mean we had an upgrade, right and sometimes the Days Inn are nice, not typically nicer then a Best Western but you never know. I was on vacation right?
After a few hours at the beach, we (my 10 year old son and I) to head on to the hotel, not wanting to be overly burned at the beach. When we got there, we were sorely disappointed. The lobby was DRASCIALLY DIFFERENT then the other hotel, the Best western had a couch set with carpet and floral garden, we had to use the restroom which was great. NOT DAYS INN, it was a sterile small standing area approximately bathroom sized. The breakfast that was supposed to be a full breakfast at the Blue Angel Best Western the Days Inn was going to be cereal and yogurt up to 9am, if we woke up on time, we were planning on sleeping in... but it was a room right? So we checked in anyway, it "was" a room on a holiday. We got up to the room, my son noticed in the bathroom that there were splashes of poop on the wall, the tub was dirty, to room smelled like something? mold something. the carpet was falling apart, there was a 10 inch TV. My 10 year old said he wasn't going to shower even with sand in the bottom of his bathing suit. Outside I didn't notice when I pulled up was scary... I read a review on that hotels website that said. Eeww!! It was described pretty accurately "Crack house Haven". I was afraid my car would be vandalized or bedbugs were a great possibility. So I called the kayak people to get a refund, but I was tired, if I wasn't getting a refund I was going to crash there anyway, I was exhausted.. My son was hungry but the fast food in that area was pretty nasty looking, so while I'm on hold, I looked for a new area for him to eat a fast food, while I'm holding for kayak to get whoever needs to authorize a refund, the girl said she'd get someone who said she was from the escalation department. after 35 mins.. another 25 mins, later she said yes, check out from this hotel and they "would" refund the "entire amount". another 10 mins later I'm on the way home.... after I told her I was in the middle of checking out when I was, she said, she called the hotel and because I had checked in and been in the room for an hour they wouldn't refund my money.. she told me to check out.. she knew I had been on hold for an hour and they are keeping my money. I'm sure the Days Inn re-rented my room, it was Memorial day weekend. So no room, no money, no fun!! I got home about 1:30 am after being up at 3am for the trip down to FL. 1st vacation in 2 years

5/21/14

From our complaint to Kayak:

My girlfriend and I realized that instead of starting our vacation in Athens, that we should have started in Hungary/Romania. We looked to see if we could make this very simple switch and saw that according to your policies it was possible. When I called, not only did I find out that it was not possible to switch but that the tickets were completely non-refundable. The man on the phone said that we were completely locked in and there was nothing that we could do about it. If we had booked directly with the airlines, we would likely not be in this position. Because we made the mistake of booking with Kayak, one which we will NEVER repeat, we are completely screwed, as your representative so callously pointed out.

They have not responded. Bastards!

5/16/14

Anytime I need to book a business trip, kayak is the first place I go to compare rates. They've always delivered exactly what I booked/needed. I have no intentions of discontinuing my use of them.

Apprentice Reviewer
4/21/14

I use this mainly for airfares. It is usually my starting place to compare different airlines. The only down side is that it does not capture ALL airlines, most notably, Southwest does not come up. That's why it gets only 4 stars.

4/7/14

This has been the worst experience I have ever had in booking a flight in 20 years of using the Internet. My flight has changed at least 10 times since I booked the flight in November for a June trip. Everytime the flight changes I have to call their so call customer services. It usually two to three calls of 30 minute hold time before I reach a person who doesn't understand English and then I'm on the phone for another 30 minutes before they can re-ticket my flight. Sheer incompetence. If I could give them zero or negative stars I would.

3/21/14

I rented a car from enterprise at the Denver airport through Kayak. We arrived at the airport location only to find that Kayak had reserved a car at a different location. I guess this happens more than we would like to think. We had to take the bus back to the airport and then a $40 shuttle to the other Enterprise location. I rented another car for April, and now that I had this experience, I checked my reservation and sure enough they did it again. So, clearly not just an accident. Enterprise said the outside sites like to be able to post the best rates, so they book you elsewhere. Be careful!

3/3/14

Kayak.com compares pricing of a variety of flight information for you and is convenient in that aspect, but the navigation of the page, the prices offered, and the overall quality of the experience was less than stellar.

2/27/14

I agree with everything said on this forum. I booked flights through Kayak for my family and me for a trip this June to the World Cup. Booking the tickets was easy enough. Everything was very simple until I received an email from Travelocity that my flight itinerary has changed and to call the Customer Support Center to confirm the changes. It took me five phone calls each lasting over 30 minutes to fix my flight itinerary. The first four times I was told by "Dennis", "Katie", "Ricky", and some other made up name for their overseas support person that they could not get through to the airline to fix my flight. Finally, on the fifth try, I was able to arrange my return flights so that they worked for my travel dates. Great! Done! Now I can get on with my life!! Except, when I get the confirmation email the next day listing my new flight itinerary, I notice that they also changed a flight on the last leg of my outgoing trip so that I am now missing a connector flight to my final destination. This was never reviewed with me during my five phone calls so I have no idea why they changed it to begin with. Now I am in the process of getting this flight fixed. I'm two calls in. The first time, I got the same response, "We're having a hard time connecting to the airline. Please call back." This morning, I just got off a call with "Nancy" where I was on hold for over 30 minutes before my call was picked up. When I explained to her the situation, she said that I'd need to contact the airline directly. What?!! I was very adamant that I would not be doing that since this was their mistake and that they need to own it until it's resolved. After a few minutes of back and forth, "Nancy" finally realized that it is indeed an issue that they need to fix. So, she calls the airline and guess what? She's having a problem connecting and I'm asked to please call back in a couple days. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER EVER WILL I BOOK THROUGH KAYAK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2/23/14

recently booked an overseas flight with this web site. Had to make a change due to an unfortunate accident and I will NEVER call them again for the following

1) Kayak books thru airfare.com after over a dozen phone calls and folks who lied and tried to extort an additional 350 dollar change fee found out they had listed us as a no call no show, even tho we had emailed prior to the deadline after speaking to an agent who advised us to do so
2)airlines folks where rude, non truthful and most definitely trying to scam us wide range of stories and excuses.
3) you can not actually get to speak to a rep from kayak
4) still on going but legal action to be taken to get back well over 1500 dollars in scammed fees

2/20/14

I made a hotel reservation on Tuesday, 2/18/2014 and on Thursday, 2/10/2014 tried to make a change and was told that no changes were allowed. I would be charged 100% penalty. Outrageous...stay way.

Apprentice Reviewer
2/20/14

i planned a great trip using kayak, it gives you great cheap options on hotels and flights. the app is great too!

2/14/14

Found a hotel on Kayak and entered all the info to complete the booking. The last page showed the terms which were never get a refund for any part of the booking if you cancel. I never check the box to accept those terms and they processed it anyway. I immediately called explained the situation, ask for supervisor in total spoke with three people got transferred etc. In the end they would do nothing except take the money. There whole booking system is set up to cheat you. There is no reason to ever make a reservation through Kayak. There bordering on crooked.

2/6/14

Booked a hotel in Pacific Grove, CA for 2 nights in May of 2014. This was booked in mid January 2014 and they charged my credit card immediately. A week later I found out that I could not go on this trip so I called the number that they gave me to cancel, and yes they canceled the hotel stay, but to date they have not refunded my money. I think Kayak believes this is now their money, thinking there is nothing I can do.
After reading reviews of Kayak here and at other places I am resigned to the fact that the money is gone, that I am just one more victim of fraud, deceit, and just plain theft.

I did find this on the internet

Chairman of the board of Kayak
Terrell B. Jones
930 Tahoe Blvd Suite 802-390 Incline Village, NV 89451
817-801-1357
terry@essentialideas.com
Terry@tbjones.com

CEO Steve Hafner
they guard his email and contact info pretty well but I found an email address through his Dartmouth Alumni
shafner@kayak.com

I will give this a shot, then of course contact the BBB and any other agency that may help.

For now, I will just have to be satisfied to tell as many unsuspecting people as is possible that NOBODY SHOULD DO BUSINESS WITH KAYAK-THEY ARE A BUNCH OF CROOKS.

1/29/14

Why anyone would want to walk into a travel agents or use other sites for flights only is beyond me. Kayak filters everything down and is far easier to use and quicker than Skyscanner. You can also adjust to your own preferences if you have a favourite airline, or just browse with approximate calendar dates. The site makes it clear what are the cheapest seats available at any one moment.

1/14/14

I've seen better customer service in organized criminal conspiracies. We had to cancel a trip because of a family emergency and later tried to rebook. If you're in this position be prepared for hours on hold and a truly masterful runaround. And, finally, they say, "There's nothing we can do." Except, of course, keep your $617.60. Never, never, never again. How Kayak.com stays in business is one of the great mysteries.

12/30/13

We made a reservation for a car rental through Kayak with Dollar Rent A Car at Cancun, Mexico. The price Kayak initially provided was COMPLETELY different of the price Dollar tells you when we picked up the car.
We booked a FULL size car through Kayak for 6 days; the size car Dollar gave us was an economy size, which it should cost less. Also, the price provided by Kayak for all 6 days was $390.40 (including taxes & fees) however, Dollar tells you that Kayak doesn't include insurance so they charge you another $337.00, for a total of $727.00. What did Kayak do? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!
Basically Kayak does nothing for you, not refunds or even taking your claim seriously. They are not going to contact the 3rd party to make sure this won’t happen again, just plain simple: Kayak doesn't care. They tell you that you should have read their terms of conditions and because they are not the ones who made the final transaction, they cannot be responsible for what the car rental company does, etc.
We, the customer are completely unprotected by thieves and Kayak let them. They mislead the customer through their website (which is just a search engine!) offering different prices but more importantly they should be responsible because they are selling other companies products and services, remember: THEY ARE MAKING MONEY every time they book travel or rentals for others. STAY AWAY, do not use Kayak, book your services directly with trustworthy companies and do not let Kayak throw you out to the sharks.

12/18/13

Stay away!!! We booked our flights through Kayak which actually was through an agent called Airfare. What a nightmare!!! We need to change the departure flight for one passenger (we're a family with a three year old), and the customer service was horrible. They have a complicated regulation that does not allow you to change your flight within the next 8 days of your original flight and you will have to change your return flight too if you change your departure!! And they claim it's the airlines regulation where it in fact is not. Yes, we crosschecked with the airline. What a scam!! Don't EVER EVER EVER USE KAYAK! And beware of a company called Airfare, they're scammers!!

12/17/13

DO NOT BOOK YOUR FLIGHT THROUGH KAYAK.COM!!!! The worst customer service I have received in a very long time and I have worked in customer service for the last 10 years. I found a great deal on their site a week ago and quickly booked it. Fast forward a week and I check my credit card account, only to see that I had not been charged for the flight. I quickly call Kayak.com customer service and they tell me the booking was cancelled because of an error (hmmm is this sounding familiar? What is with Kayak and all the "errors"??). What the error is, who knows, because the same exact flight is still available on the Kayak website. The woman I spoke with told me they sent me an e-mail telling me this BUT THEY DID NOT! I checked every inbox I have, including my spam and promotions folder, as well as my deleted folder. So I check their site for the same flight and lo and behold, IT IS $150 MORE EXPENSIVE. Does the customer service rep care? Not in the least, and tells me there is nothing she can do. I start to ask for her name and she HANGS UP ON ME while I am mid sentence. This irritates me beyond belief so I go on the Kayak.com site to send a complaint, only to be e-mailed back with basically the same response, that there is nothing to do and "it is my decision if I don't want to use them again." I will NEVER use Kayak.com again and I will tell everyone I know that they should not use it again. There is no excuse for such terrible customer service and horrible policies. PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM! Use their site to find the best deal, then go to Priceline or the airline site which are always the same price. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. I wish I could give negative stars.

12/15/13

I had a really unpleasant experience with Kayak.com. Booked a FLY ticket, NEED to reschedule and .... there was nobody to help me. It is useless to talk with their agents at all. They do not care about anything. When I asked to connect me with the Manager - here is the same story - I was waiting the manager for more than 15 minutes and finally was told that he is busy and he would give me a call back later. Guess what! Nobody called. I call myself a stubborn person. I honestly tried for two weeks!!! But the Manager is always busy and NEVER called back! I do not trust KAYAK.COM at all. And you will also loose your time and money with them. I checked it personally!!! I strongly recommend Never Deal with them.

12/11/13

Nightmare! This was my first time booking airfare with kayak. I will never use them again. After I booked my flight I received an email from globebusters with my reservation information but no confirmation. I called globebusters requesting my confirmation. I was told it would take awhile. After trying for several hours to get my confimation I was told that my credit card had been declined and the new fare would be an additional $150. I informed the sale rep that I had checked my account before booking and the funds were there. He put me on hold and when he came back the he informed me the fare had gone up $300. I told him I would book somewhere else because this did not sound right. He put me on hold again and when he came back rhe increase was back down to $150. I again stated I would book somewhere else. Was put on hold again and upon his return he stated he would try sending my card in again at the original price. The card went through but still no conformation. I called again and was told my confirmation would be issued in ten minutes. One hour later still no confirmation. I called back and the same sales rep told me that I told him I didn't have the money earlier to pay the $150.00 increase and I would have to pay. I can't remember everything I said but he gave me a five digit number and I was able to go to the airlines website directly to get my confirmation.

12/10/13

I had never used Kayak before this weekend. My experience is a nightmare and it could end up costing me thousands. They quoted me one price and sent me my booking. Then, the travel site they linked to sent me the booking. The itinerary was correct. I later found out that they had made an error and the site they linked to rejected the booking. Kayak.com accepted all four legs of the trip while the travel site they linked to only supports a maximum of three legs per booking. My world cup trip is ruined! Trying to get the right flights is impossible, and certainly not for the price we were originally quoted. The deal on the flight was the basis for the entire trip. I think it is very important that everyone heeds my warning: do not use this site. You will be stuck with any problems in the end and they will skirt all responsibility through fine print. It is amazing that they could get away with this!

12/3/13

Kayak and their partner "Get a Room" are horrible. They charged my debit/checking acct 4 times due to a website error and depleted my checking account. That's not right. Obviously these guys don't know how to put proper safeguards into their software and process flow to prevent these types of simple mishaps, anyone using their site is at risk based on this experience.

11/25/13

Travel-Search-Engines.com reviewed several travel sites. In a 2013 rate comparison between Kayak.com and BestTravelCoupon.com, BTC beat Kayak on 85 out of 90 rate comparisons.

Both sites claim to search 100s of travel sites. But Kayak results tend to only post the large travel booking sites such as Expedia and Priceline. BTC searches more sites and posts better rates.

I still use Kayak to check rates but BTC is usually a better option.

11/22/13

Hi guys,

i am here with a request from you. I would like to know if Kayak send the invoice trough email?
- needs to be requested separately?
- included in billing address?
- invoice included in confirmation page or email?
- printable? ability to save invoice in pdf?

i will really be happy if one of you can asnwer . Thanks a lot

11/6/13

Kayak.com deserves a 0 for the worst customer service on the face of the planet. I used Kayak.com to book a room at the Willard InterContinental in Washington D.C. and soon after booking found out I wasn't able to go. After calling Kayak.com trying to cancel a full month and a half before my check-in date they said no. So I called the hotel explained to them and they said there was nothing they could to do, but if I had booked through them they said i would be able to cancel. I took my case to the Better Buisness Bureau and after 3 days of complicated transactions from Kayak.com to me the BBB said they couldn't make the company give me my $621.73 back. So now I'm out $621.73, running out of time, very upset at Kayak.com, and never plan to use the travel agency again.

10/23/13

This site should only be used as a search engine. After you find your "Deal", you should log off Kayak and log onto the site Kayak suggested. I have used Kayak for over 5 years, spending most of my time in the air, in a rental cars, and hotels.
After being a loyal customer of Kayak, let me share my recent and last trip booked through Kayak.
I travel to Australia 2 to 3 times a year. My last flight booked to Australia, through Kayak, was booked in early March to leave LAX to Sydney on Oct 2nd
The 3rd of September Kayak contacted me to let me know that my Flight was over sold BY 300 PEOPLE and I was going to be switched to a flight leaving three (3) days earlier, changing me from a VAustralia flight to a Delta Flight.
Kayak then informed me that because they are a "third party", there was NOTHING THEY COULD DO TO HELP.
If I would have spent the few extra dollars directly with my chosen Airline, I would have been fine.
Neither Kayak or the website they sent me to were willing to help in anyway.

10/20/13

If you want to be shocked that your reservation has been cancelled when you are getting ready to go to the airport, you may want to use kayak.com. I gave then one star because there is no option of giving a ZERO stars. I booked a flight to Orlando, Florida through kayak, was supposed to go to JFK then to Orlando. I received the confirmation for the booking and I even called the airline to choose my seats. On the day of travel, I was about to print the booking ( 4 hours before departure) when i realized that the booking was cancelled. I called Kayak and the so called "customer service" agent told me that they could not verify my payment with the bank!!!. I told him but why did not you send me an email informing me that, as you did with the booking confirmation. He said we tried to call you and no answer!!! He told me that they have nothing to do with the reservation anymore!!!

I have not received any calls from them. The funny part is that the tickets amount was charged from my credit cards as reflected on my bank statement, which was later refunded. we ended up buying an expensive ticket at the airport to Chicago instead of New York and bought expensive domestic US flight because we wanted it on the next day and booked an hotel for the night in Chicago. we lost one night from our hotel reservation. Will ask for compensation, or will take legal action.

10/17/13

I prepaid for a 4 star hotel through Kayak only to find out when I showed up at the hotel that Kayak never confirmed my reservation and I had nowhere to stay! You can imagine the shock I was in and it was a busy convention week so I did not have many options. I ended up scrambling into a miserable other hotel that was half the price of what I paid for and they would not refund the difference of what I prepaid to Kayak. A terrible and unforgettable experience and Kayak has done nothing to make it right.

9/29/13

I attempted to book a room through Kayak.com. Like many travelors I was on a budget for my trip and wanted to find the best hotel. Kayak.com took my payment information, attempted to book me a room, failed at the booking, yet still put a hold for the full cost of the room on my account. I called the number on the transaction with my bank and was told that they could not help me (offshore support company), so I placed a customer service form through Kayak.com's website. I received the email below as a response. Obviously Kayak.com has put alot of time and effort into positioning themselves as the middle man with no responsibility as to the successful completion of the booking, but as they took my payment information directly, I don't see it that way. I will never use them again and I have spent the last few days making sure my social media circles are aware of this company's shady business practices.

Email from "Melissa" at Kayak.com

Hello: I see your recent reservation processed by Travelocity. To help clarify, KAYAK provides an option to complete a hotel reservation using third party providers, such as Travelocity. All service inquiries are handled directly by Travelocity and their policies apply. For assistance kindly contact Travelocity at +1 866 270 2849, or +1 210 507 5997. Kind regards, Melissa KAYAK Consumer Services Rep

9/10/13

I've tried to search recently for a flight and couldn't make a dates selection - horrible way to present start and end dates of the trip on the same panel.

9/9/13

Hands down the WORST customer support I have seen with CROOKED POLICIES.
I've called this company 6 times previously and have been promised a call back 3 times. I received NONE of those call backs. I called back AGAIN today only to be told I had to call back later because the office they needed to contact (which I had already talked to and was told it would be recorded in my file) was closed. I have been told this previously and did as said, then I didn't receive a call back from the 'supervisor.' I was promised credit (not a refund, I FULLY understood that) after I cancelled a ticket in December.

I was told if I called back within one year I would receive credit towards a new ticket. I obliged. I asked for proof of this and a cancellation notice by email or post and was told "they don't do that." He told me to 'rest assured' that it had been marked in my file and I only needed my confirmation and ticket numbers when I called back. I even asked for a name and a number of the person I was talking to and was only given a first name and NO number because it was COMPANY POLICY.

Each time I call back they give me the same questions, and then eventually they tell me it was marked in the file. They have a terribly crooked system. I have the time, dates, and names of every person I've talked to in the ENTIRE company and every time I call back they treat me and act as if I had never contact them before.

They say the INFORMATION IS ON FILE, yet will give you NO PROOF of this. Do not deal with this company. I have been dealing with the issue for weeks now. I would be willing to pay 50% more for my ticket and use a different site than this one. You will get no peace of mind doing business with this company.

9/4/13

I was monitoring my flight prices with kayak.com, it kept giving me stale results almost for a day. Flight prices given by kayak were horribly wrong. It kept showing $71 where the actual price was $161. I lost almost $100 due to wrong results given by kayak.com. And it kept showing me flights which were already full. Its better to search prices and flights on individual sites rather than trusting kayak. I know its time taking but you won't regret later like I did.

9/4/13

The last day of our holiday in the U.S.A. we needed a car to get back to the airport, to travel back to the Netherlands.
I found one via the kayak website, made a reservation, and got a confirmation by email that we could pick it up at Avis, 1092 S Ponce de Leon Blvd.
So far, so very good.
Until we got to this address. No Avis! So we called the toll-free phonenumber that was in the confirmation. It is just a computer, reading 35 different non applicable options, there is no real person on the Phone.
So this was no solution.
We asked the other companies at the Ponce de Leon Blvd.
They told us that Avis had moved more than a year ago (!). So Kayak used an address that is outdated for more than a year.

Saint Augustine is not a very big place with lots of rental car locations. So we asked a lot of people, and drove around for almost two hours until we found Avis at the Wallmart. There was no reservation on my name off course, because the reservation was made for the non existing location.
You can understand that this procedure causes a lot of stress. We took some extra time for the procedure, but we had more than 2,5 hours delay in getting the car at that moment.
Pat of Avis helped us out. He found us a dirty car we could use, it was the only car he had available. We were relieved to finally have a car, so we cleaned it ourselves.
We were on time at the airport, but the last day of our holiday was ruined because of the stress.

8/18/13

I cannot recommend this site. I made a reservation for a car with Dollar with Kayak but I was completely surprised by completely different prices when I finally picked up the car. I really don't have any confidence in their quotes, so why use it?
When I wrote an email complaining about the discrepancies (I will mention these at the end for the details-oriented persons) this is the completely unhelpful answer I got:
Hi, The prices you see on KAYAK should be the same as what you see on the booking site. However, it looks like that travel provider may be having issues with the accuracy of the data they are sending us. In any case, we will use your report to help us improve data quality with them. Thanks for letting us know about this! Kind regards, Walter KAYAK Systems Engineer

The details of my complaint:
Dear Sir/Madam, The rates you quoted were not honored by Dollar. When I asked for an extra day, the discrepancy between the price you quoted for 7 days ($205) rose to $294 with the extra day! The attendant said Kayak might have had problems figuring taxes, Whatever the reason, the end result is that I was seriously mislead by Kayak. This was extremely disappointing and I really don't think I can trust the rates kayak quotes anymore; I think it i better to book with the rental companies directly. I would appreciate if Kayak could compensate me, in some way, for the discrepancy.

8/15/13

I don't get all the negative experiences people have had. I use this site for lodging and have always found it helpful, and a good starting point.

8/9/13

Does anyone ever get a refund from Kayak? The airline has refunded the price of a cancelled ticket to the travel agency, but Kayak refuses to send the money to me citing an arbitrary 4-6 week processing time. It charged me an $450 to process the cancellation, which happened instantly.

8/9/13

I was very disappointed when I recieved a bill under the door of my hotel room that showed what I would have been billed if I would have went direct to the hotel for booking the room. It was 41 dollars less for the stay then what I had already paid with KAYAK.

8/4/13

Booked a car through kayak with enterprise. Went to pick car up in Stuttgart to find though quoted €230. We had not got any insurance even though I was sure I had added this and and also would have to pay €6 a day if we took the car out of Germany!! We ended our holiday paying €437!!! When could eventually contact kayak they said it was all in the small print. My advice is check that your insurance is included and about the border money before you go as this put quite a damper on our holiday. Don't think I'd use kayak again.

8/2/13

I was unable to find their phone number to inquire about my extensive and complicated travel plans including a lot of car rentals. Isn't this DUMB to hide your phone number? Will never consider Kayak.

7/18/13

Double charged CC for hotel room, will not respond to emails. Do not use Kayak to book a hotel, they book via getaroom. and they do not respond to emails. getaroom does not respond to emails either.

7/18/13

I visited the site about four times last week looking for great hotel deals. Unfortunately, the site would just freeze on me every single time. :(
Since reading some of the positive reviews, I may just have to give it another try. But after reading the negative reviews, I just don't know anymore.
Unsure potential customer. :/

7/14/13

Too many horrible experiences means that I will never use Kayak again! Kayak was started by Expedia, Travelocity, and Orbitz and currently owned by Priceline. Hotels.com is owed by Expedia. So if you book through Kayak via these sites it's all the same or affiliated companies and I've had bad luck with them. Trip Advisor started by Exepdia is now partnered with Kayak too so it's one big online monopoly.I've had consistently bad experiences, horrible customer service.

Sometimes travel plans change and you need to change a reservation date. When doing this the rate maybe even cheaper than the date you originally booked. However, Kayak affiliated Hotels.com doesn't reduce the rate and also adds on a change fee. So in my case I would pay 3x what it would have cost me to change plans if I booked directly. I would rather book directly with the hotel and then easily change reservations if need be.

I booked my flight 3 months in advance through Kayak via Travelocity and I could not choose my seat (unassigned). This means I had the worst seat that I have ever had flying. It was right by the bathroom, last row, and middle seat. I usually book directly with the airlines and can always choose my seat.

The site doesn't accurately represent the hotel in the photos or description. A complete lie! i booked this hotel with Kayak directly. The bathroom didn't have hot water, only ice cold to take a shower, there was no shower curtain and one wash cloth for two people to take a shower, the bedding was unclean, unmade, sheets didn't match, coach roaches, floor was filthy, pictures on wall were crooked, air conditioner sounded like a freight train, security door card didn't work, big holes in the wall, gashes in the furniture. There was no housekeeping, coffee maker, hair dryer, or phone that the Kayak description mentioned. This hotel had so many health code violations we walked out within the first 10 minutes. Kayak didn't do their homework and out right lied about this hotel on their site in the photos and description. This hotel shouldn't have even been on their site. Kayak gave me quite the run around in trying to get a refund and ultimately would not give me a refund. I had to do a credit card dispute to get a forced refund.

Also so many times I have looked up flights on Kayak and compared them with flights on the airlines Websites to find many more available desireable flight times, better rates,and availability to choose my seat.

7/3/13

Kayak is the worst travel site, search engine, booking site I have ever used. Stay away DO NOT USE. Their website is misleading and their cancellation policy, which basically says that you are totally in their hands and they can charge you whatever they want with NO REFUNDS, are the worst I have ever read. Customer service follows suit as you get sales reps in India with reall y bad VoIP connections that are unable to escalate your case to anyone beyond the call center.
I searched for hotel rooms in a specific city, for a specific night and up came multiple options with the cheapest one being the highest star rated name brand hotel chain in the list. Little did I know it was not in the city I was searching for but in the "general area" of the city I was looking for. The hotel was an extra 28 minutes from where I was going, the wrong way. So basically they considered the "general area" to be some location that would inconvenience me an extra 1hr of driving to/from.
The worst part is that no where in the site did it specify the city it was in, until I got my confirmation email listing my booking details. Well, guess what? It was too late. According to their cancellation policy, there are no refunds!! What joke. When I called customer service and tried to explain that no where did I get the details on my reservation for me to "review" for accuracy (I actually went throught the process on the phone and booked another room), they said that their site was working fine, that there had been no reports of glitches, and that they were not at fault, and they were not going to refund.
The rep even insulted me saying that If I did not read the policy and could not find out where the city was, it was my own incompetence. I asked him to escalate the matter and he said he had the final authority!!! STAY AWAY!

6/30/13

Absolute nightmare. Booked a flight from Singapore to Dubai via Emirates. Knew I was in trouble when I then got an email that said I "should" receive a confirmation within 1 business day. Most on-line confirmations are in minutes or hours now that it is 2013 and not 1999 anymore....Well 27 hours later, no confirmation, call or email from them....actually it is farmed off to a bunch of jokers called Vayama. I called them and they said, "Oh your flight has been cancelled by the airline, you have to call them" Huh, didn't I book via an online travel agent (you!) and you should call them? Oh and yes, he confirmed my credit card had been charged, but offered no discussion about crediting it back! This is for a flight a few days away, so I am freaking out of course at their complete disinterest in what is happening.

So, I called Emirates and they said that Vayama made a booking, but they never ticketed it (i.e. gave them the money within 24 hours) so it was cancelled. So I booked a new ticket with her immediately, paid a bit more but got the flights I had to be on for my meetings.

Called back Kayak/Vayama and told them to issue the credit. Still waiting to confirm I have this credit.

Will NEVER use Kayak again, needless to say. Do not risk it, book directly!

6/21/13

I booked a flight from Osaka to Bangkok on the Kayak Booking site - I supplied all the details on the booking request form - within 24hrs I received an email stating that the Revenue Protection Department had cancelled my booking "due to lack of verifiable information" - note that at 9.38am they attempted to ring me (but I was indisposed) and by 9.40am I received the cancellation email.... the email told me to ring them which I did on my mobile so not cheap, they told me they could not reactivate the flight and I was transferred to the bookings area - they told me I could not book with them and I should speak with the Revenue Protection Dept. Finally after being put on hold (again) I was told that I would have to book online - and guess what - my cheapest option had gone from around $500 with China Eastern to around $800 (funny the search did not return any flights on CE) - I have made 7 different flight booking online with Air Asia in the past two week using the same information without a problem - only 1 through Kayak - never again - so as per a previous reviewer - use the Search Engine BUT DONT book with them.

The Best Airfare Sites Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber