US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

chasey

I had the customer service call the resort and get me a confirmation number, which she did. (in 42 reviews)

carrier20

I read some very mixed reviews, but found a great deal for a hotel, so decided to take the risk. (in 124 reviews)

melonyv

LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER I CALLED GETAROOM, MY CREDIT CARD WAS REFUNDED THE FULL AMOUNT!!!! (in 35 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

laurab152
2/6/16

I booked three rooms in Mexico City. Well before the cancellation deadline, I contacted them to cancel one of the three rooms. They said that it is "impossible" to modify a reservation. They could cancel the reservation and in theory rebook two rooms, but they said the hotel was "sold out." I noted that if we cancelled my three rooms then the hotel would no longer be "sold out" and we could rebook two of them. They said that was "impossible." So they were trying to force my hand to keep a reservation for a room that I didn't need. Fortunately, the manager at a hotel where I was staying quickly determined the hotel was NOT sold out, so I cancelled all three reservations with getaroom and rebooked the two rooms we actually needed directly with the hotel. Of course it is always "possible" to modify a reservation; just not if you are a ripoff company trying hard NOT to meet basic customer service needs. Now, let's see if they actually refund me all my money. (Note that they charge your credit card for the full amount of a reservation even months before you show for your room.)

tims109
2/3/16

Stay away...do not book a room with these guys. They ripped me off approximately $30.00 US dollars. An advertised room for $67.00 (which when I booked it did not state in US dollars). I told them that it is wrong that they can't advertise a room without stating what currency it is in then charge me US dollars. When I got my bill it was over $140.00 Canadian. When I called to complain they admitted that they are having a lot of complaints but NOW the website states in US dollars, Rip off artists big time. Stay away!!

danm125
2/3/16

I DID not realize I was on a third party web site.Be careful when you search online for a hotel. You think you are on hotel's website but you may be on a third party web site. Just call the hotel directly.

russp8
1/27/16

We weren't notified that the hotel was being renovated and there was no restaurant, bar or lobby. It was a construction site. They were notified and advised to let their clients Know the situation. The reservation was prepaid so they had their money and couldn't care less about our vacation

tomc117
1/26/16

same comment as all of those that follow - don't use get a room. Deal directly with the hotel. I was in a hurry on a web search and did not notice that I clicked on a marriott.getaroom site.

rk67
1/22/16

They falsely advertised the price of a room and I ended up paying $500 extra for a room that they of course refuse to refund, despite the fact I immediately canceled the reservation. The customer service agents are of no help. Avoid them like the plague!

olwynm
1/22/16

Just read the reviews on this company and I am worried I have booked through this company through trip advisor. I am surprised that trip advisor allow this to happen!!

lindal162
1/20/16

Just got stuck with a bill for a room I did not use. Husband cancelled at the hotel, which did not advise us of the third party booking partner and the need to contact them directly. Unhappy with the lack of communication and at paying an unnecessary bill.

lakishat2
1/20/16

You can find a good rate using other sites. There is a blizzard heading in my direction and we decided that it was not feasible to go on our trip for fear of coming back in time and we did not want to leave the children home stuck in a possible blizzard alone. They were not understanding and nor did they give me my money back or try to rectify the issue. I cancelled the room and am not getting any money back nor can I use this to stay at a hotel anywhere else. This site is TERRIBLE AND UNFORTUNATELY EMOTIONLESS.

melonyv
1/12/16

I had booked a room in Mexico through the Hotel sight. Or so I thought. When I had to change the departure date, I wrote the hotel on their web sight. 3 weeks later I get a message that I had booked through another party called GETAROOM. I was shocked. Never heard of them and had to find their contact number. They informed me that in order to change any part of the the reservation, I had to cancel the whole thing and make a new reservation but sadly there were no rooms available for my time frame. I said I had a room. Yes but if we cancel the reservation the next person on the waiting list could get it. They advised me to call the hotel directly and reserve our room through them. Once that was done I could cancel the getaroom reservation.. This was 2.5 weeks before the cancellation deadline. I did as they suggested and am happy to say I will be going to Mexico next week. I just want to say GETAROOM was very helpful and calmed my jittery nerves. They even gave me the number at the hotel to call. After reading the reviews here I was pretty scared I would not get my $1400 dollars back. But guess what? LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER I CALLED GETAROOM, MY CREDIT CARD WAS REFUNDED THE FULL AMOUNT!!!! I will happily use their service again once I'm positive of my dates.

jasonc113
1/7/16

Stop do not attempt to go through this company get a room .com they will rip you off they shouldn't even be allowed to do business there horrible you'll end up showing up at your hotel with no room and end up being charged doubleI gave them -5 they don't even belong at 1 definitely the worst company everWill never ever use this company again I'm definitely calling the Better Business Bureau on them also

lynnl33
1/6/16

Cancelled a reservation 27 hours prior to check in (1 PM day before 4 pm checkin). Small print revealed they charge you for one day if cancelled after 10 AM the previous day. Called getaroom and the property and neither of them would allow a refund. An expensive lesson to understand I will NEVER use them again.

cherylg28
1/5/16

We made reservations on Dec 29 for a room THAT NIGHT on the beach in Jamaica. 5 hours later when we arrived at the hotel - there was no room.
We booked through Kayak & didn't realize it was going to be "serviced" by Getaroom until after the transaction.
Customer service phone line wasn't available from Jamaica, Getaroom refused to help until the charge went from Pending to officially charged & then suggested that I wait 4 business days (yes, another week!) for a reply.
I have now filed dispute with my CC company to get the refund.

dmitryd1
1/1/16

Booked hotel on Tripadviser.com but somehow reservation was forwarded to getaroom.com
At the reservation page the only red flag was 100% charge by getaroom at a time of reservation. It was a sign to stop and look for reservation elsewhere. I moved forward and received an email with confirmation number and a message that cancellation is not available for this reservation no matter the reason or time of cancellation. Translated in plane language: we've got your money thank you. I decided to cancel and called getaroom and had a 30 min conversation with the rep without any progress. Called hotel and found interesting thing: reservation on my name was from Expedia but not US Expedia but Expedia.uk I called Expedia.uk they found reservation but could not cancel it as email, address, phone were not mine on this reservation very nice trick indeed. Considering all this information I am prone to think that getaroom.com are professional scammers. Stay away from this company. I have no idea why Tripadviser is working with them.

farzads
12/31/15

I booked all inclusive hotel in Mexico through kayak and find getaroom. On October right after booking I noticed my kids are not included. So I called them and they confirmed that kids are included in the rate (4yrs and 8yrs) and I asked them to confirm with hotel and they sais they did. On December when I checked in hotel I noticed that kids are not included and after being on the call with getaroom for 4-5 hours in total (in 5 days) I end up paying $55 per might extra for kids.

pattyd12
12/30/15

This outfit is somehow attached to Trip Advisor and it overcharges for rooms as well as charges for cancellations. The money appears to go to get a room from a cancellation --- not the hotel. I was charged a $150 dollars to cancel a room well in advance of the cut off date of the hotel.. I have been a Trip Advisor patron for years but no more. I'm done. I will call each hotel myself from now on. Also using get a room you will not get your reward points for the hotel. This is a SCAM. Don't use them.

amyr55
12/29/15

Rating is actually -1
I fell like I have been robbed. Our money has been tied up for two days. $1405.55 . They supposedly booked us a room and then did not deliver on an actual room. We were charged 4 times and still never received any room. The site kept saying that these rooms were already booked. This is on our debit card also. They are telling us that it could take 5-7 days to clear these pending charges. Now if I want them off sooner I have to get the bank on the phone with me and then conference call "Getaroom" on the phone with me for them to erase all charges now. I don't see why I am having to do all the work for their problem. It's like they are holding my cash over my head and saying "here see if you can come and get it!"

jenniferb164
12/26/15

Do not book with getaroom if you have a chance of anything going wrong in your trip. You get stranded and can't make your room reservation, even if it's an hour later after you book it, doesn't matter! Too bad for you they charge your card immediately and then charge you close to the amount of the room fee to cancel. They don't care what problem you may have encountered. You just got in a car wreck and your child died, who cares sorry..still going to charge you twice! Too bad so sad! Don't work with this company! Go directly through the hotel!!

terryk42
12/26/15

My mom who is 75 years old got sick and I had to take her home 2 days early and the motel said I he to go back through the get a room and they said I couldn't get any money back so don't use this company

melvinc18
12/24/15

I asked for a suite a room with a couch and two queen beds. I didn't get that and I was charged more for the room I received than If I went through the hotel directly. It is Christmas and I travel to Arkansas from Michigan with my family we were but in a room with two beds and I asked for a suites.

dwightp9
12/24/15

Getaroom is a scam operation at best. Booked a LaQuinta Inn in Nacogdoches TX, drove up to it and it was a Motel 6. Never any notice from Getaroom that the LaQuinta Inn had been sold. As a matter of fact, they never have changed name on bookings.

Staff untrained and unhelpful. They took my money anyway and provided no assistance to contact anyone for help.

maureenb17
12/23/15

I booked a bed and breakfast through trip advisor,a site I trust. I received a confirmation from trip advisor.then right after that I received a conf from getaroom-an outfit I never heard of. I cancelled the res FIVE MINUTES later ! Even though the cancel policy said I could cancel up to a week before with no penalty,and I was cancelling 40 days ahead, they charged me for a full night !!!! I called the hotel and they said there was NO PENALTY.I called getaroom and they said the penalty was from the hotel -an out and out LIE !!! I called trip advisor and they were USELESS !! I called my credit card snd they had the charge removed.I will never book through trip advisor again,and I would advise everyone to NEVER book with getaroom-what cheaters.

loisb20
12/8/15

I booked a room through Trip Advisor which used getaroom.com as a third party. I was charged $84. for the room. When I went to the hotel, I found out that getaroom.com only paid $68. for the room. When I called to get an explanation, I was brushed off. Do not use this site, negotiate with the hotel. I will not use trip advisor again either.

tashinab
12/7/15

False advertising. Wouldn't give me a refund 5 minutes after I realized it was the wrong hotel. Rude customer service. Rip off company and I am going to tell everyone not to book with them and to book with their competitors. I shouldn't have to pay because they don't have a brain.

mec32
11/10/15

This company is working a scam at every angle.

I booked a room through Kayak, who then said that getaroom.com would handle the "customer service." After cancelling my hotel reservation well before the deadline, I was surprised to see that my "fully refundable" room had charged me a $25 cancellation fee. When I called getaroom to have the erroneous charge refunded, they said it was Disney (the hotel that I booked) who charged the fee.

I called Disney directly who pulled up my account and said that my room had, in fact, been fully refunded and that a $25 cancellation fee for cancelling before the deadline DID NOT EXIST.

I called getaroom back and relayed this information. They put me on hold and "called Disney." When the agent returned to the call, they told me that Disney refused to waive the $25 fee. I spoke with a getaroom manager who basically read from a script and said that the $25 fee was in the emails they sent out. I received two emails from Kayak/getaroom and in each, my room was fully refundable until 11/9. Since I cancelled on 10/30, this fee should not have been charged.

I called Disney back and they confirmed again that I had not been charged a fee and that they would send me an email attesting to that fact.

Getaroom.com just stole $25 from me, claiming it was Disney's charge, despite the fact that every email communication and all the fine print on the website clearly indicated that my room was fully refundable.

Protect yourselves and do NOT book with this company. If you book through Kayak, find out if getaroom.com will be handling the customer service. Not only were the agents and the manager unhelpful in resolving my issue, but they were rude. Instead of listening to what I was actually saying, they just kept repeating the same script about the $25 cancellation fee like robots.

I know it is only $25, but that is what getaroom.com is banking on- that because it is so little, people will give up. But, if they do this to enough people, they'll make a fortune. Be careful!

mandyl9
11/4/15

11/2016

I booked a room in NZ thru getaroom.com and subsequently had to cancel it. Whilst I had trouble making contact via phone, I had no trouble via email. They responded promptly and dealt with my issue efficiently. Mandy from Australia

danielw73
11/4/15

You're the worst kind of business. I made a reservation and cancelled it within 2minutes. I was still charged the cancellation fee which your policy states I can cancel it. When I called to get a refund, your Sonya was extremely rude and refused.

johnv72
10/21/15

Their web site does not clearly identify that you are booking in the USA and paying with US currency. I booked, from Canada, on what looked like the Canadian Hotels web site, and the dollar amount on the confirmation received did not indicate that it was in US dollars.
Visa will not assist in getting my money back and the web site just sends you pre-written messages saying that they are sorry but there is nothing they can do.
JV in Lethbridge Alberta

mm160
10/21/15

They had a front page that looked like I was dealing directly with the hotel. I was then given the wrong dates and billed in dollars even though I was booking a UK hotel from the UK. They would not correct the dates even though I phoned up within 10 minutes to point out the mistake

sallya15
10/20/15

Be very careful with getaroom.com. I live in Canada, I booked a hotel room in Canada with a Canadian credit card. I thought I was on the hotel web site. They gave me a price in Canadian dollars. They sent a confirmation of the $239.00 prepaid bill after they had my credit card and then charged my credit card $80.05 extra because their office is in the US. It's illegal to bill someone for charges you do not show. I called the phone number on the confirmation paper. An extraordinarily rude man basically told me to get lost. I asked his name. He said JK. I asked for details - he said "That's all you get." I asked to speak to his boss. He said, "I don't have one." I would never ever recommend getaroom to anyone.

janes122
10/19/15

I booked a hotel thru them. I was driving and did not have time to look up info. 1st off they charged over $30 more than the hotel price. 2nd the hotel also charged me 3rd while I attempted to resolve it myself, I had to get my bank involved for them to issue refund

alifiyas
10/16/15

@getaroomcom .. one of the most horrible booking service. Thieves. Money gets credited with no reservations made. Worse is they don't even live upto their agreed word, no sense of responsibility.. Use instead booking.com or Expedia they are a lot morecently service n quality focused.

paolop11
10/10/15

More than one month ahead of travelling, I have mistakenly booked a Novotel room in Milan Linate airport instead of booking at Novotel Milan Malpensa airport. So I called "Get a room " to have my booking transferred to Milan Malpensa
( same hotel company, same hotel category ). To my surprise, "Get a room" flatly refused to do so and regarded this as a booking cancellation which clearly it is not !!! Is there any consumer association that can stop "Get a room" profiting from my mistake ??.
Paul Pastorelli

patsyp1
10/9/15

I had an issue with my reservations and called and spoke with Hilda. At the onset of my call, I was extremely upset because I had learned that fees quoted for my reservation was higher than what was reflected on line and also through American Express Concierge. Hilda was able to match the fees which made me very appreciative of her professionalism and attention in resolving my issue. Thank you Hilda

brettm31
10/8/15

The cancellation policy listed on the reservation is EXTREMELY deceptive. I would HIGHLY recommend that you search elsewhere for making reservations. I found was directed to the site through Trip Adviser and I will NEVER again use then for booking of any of my multiple trips I take every year. There were options on the website that clearly stated they were non refundable and then other options that I interpreted to mean they were refundable. After calling to cancel, they is not the case and there was absolutely no flexibility from the people from Getaroom to make things right. How sad is it that this is what a company chooses to do in this day and age. Deception has no place in business these days and I hope that if you are reading this, you take your business elsewhere. There are plenty of other sites out there to choose from.

margrietm
10/7/15

We booked hotel in las Vegas
But confirmation was wrong. So we booked inmediately again. At home creditcard shows we payed twice. Getaroom is although they can see we did the booking over within 9 minutes and explanation not willing to any solution.

bexm3
10/6/15

This company can not be trusted and should be avoided. I am frustrated right now that I have lost trust with any booking companies like this. NEVER will I trust bookings with third party companies because I will end up losing my money and regret having to ever call in the first place. I suggest booking directly to your hotel or asking price match guarantee offers from other hotel but NEVER EVER from a getaroom. This review is based on my current experience, too frustrating to think about.

brunol23
9/29/15

They charged me the full amount, and after 24 hours sent me an email saying that my reservation was cancelled. Why ? I have no idea, they also couldn't give me a reasonable explanation.

euniceb2
9/27/15

Do not use this rental site. Chared us in Us dollars in canada i live in canada and was booking a canadian location they do not ask you if you have any kind of a discount code ex if you have bcaa etc. It is a money grab and the comfort inn which we stayed in should not be supporting them

wilfriedb
9/16/15

This seems to be a fraud company. I had never used their site but they booked $127 from my credit card, causing a lot of trouble with my credit card company since they wanted to block my card in order to prevent further fraud from getaroom.com. When I called the customer service they first confirmed the booking, but wouldn't give any details. A few days later I called again and they denied that they had such a booking on record.

deborahc36
9/16/15

This service lies and deceives you! They charged 30% to book a room and didn't even book the room we wanted. We wanted a King smoking room with a pool and breakfast. We got a handicap, non-smoking hotel with a shut down pool.

Stay away..shut this service down!

pg34
9/14/15

See below for what I plan to post on every social media site! My mother is paying for a hotel room for me, and you guys have been HORRIBLE for her to work with!!! Again, this is what I plan to post unless you would like to resolve this situation immediately. From the other reviews I've been reading, you don't need any more bad press!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Here are the reasons why not to use this site:

1. I made a hotel reservation on 9/03/15 for 9/18/15. Only after the reservation was confirmed did I see in the fine print "This reservation must be canceled by AUGUST 8, 2015 in order not to be charged for a one night's stay. In other words I would have had to cancel A MONTH BEFORE I made the reservation to have avoided the paying for the room. I was trying to cancel OVER a week in advance of the arrival date, but was told they would NOT cancel it, and I was already charged for the two night stay.

2. When I tried to contact getaroom by phone, everyone I talked with had a strong accent that I had great difficulty understanding, and I was on hold a considerable period of time, switched from one person to another, asked for not only a confirmation number but also a 12 digit "booking reference number".

All said and done, my credit card was already charged as soon as I made the reservation. I called the hotel and they said they were very sorry that there was nothing they could do.

NEVER use getaroom.com to make reservation. I certainly will never again use them.

gleng8
9/12/15

Trip advisor should not be left out of critics. They lead you to this terrible booking agent.

wendyl24
9/10/15

Customer service would not help me resolve a billing issue on their side and refused to put a supervisor on the line.

cristinac16
9/7/15

Booked a room through getaroom.com and when I got to the hotel they did not have reservation even though I had the confirmation number from getaroom.com. We called the number from the confirmation email, and of course got passed to 3 people with being cut off or waiting on hold. This lasted for nearly 2 hours until we finally got a fax sent to the hotel confirming our purchase. The one star is because they are legitimate and we finally did get our room. I will not use their service again!

bethd24
8/30/15

Very displeased with service I received. Booked a king room advertised as available. Checked in and discovered the hotel was overbooked. No king. Called getaroom but they refused to honour my reservation. As long as I had a room regardless of state they wouldn't help me. As well, I was pretty sure that I had booked with Travelocity and was quite surprise to received a notice after I booked that from now on, getaroom was in charge of my booking...very strange.

caroled6
8/25/15

Most of the reviews document others' unpleasant experiences with Get a Room. - I am in Australia. I booked on line, it took all my details and credit card details, I proceeded to process but it timed out. I went back in to re-do the booking and the price on the Motel had changed. I was a little annoyed and decided not to make the booking after all. Fast forward to several weeks later when I received my credit card statement where I was surprised to find a charge for the booking. At no time did I ever receive a booking confirmation or any emails confirming my booking. I have contacted Get A Room, who have refunded the second night of my two nights accommodation and advise that they cannot refund the first nights accommodation as I was a no-show on the booking. They seem to keep ignoring the fact that I was a no-show because I did not know I had a booking. I would have shown up if I knew I had the booking! That was my whole purpose of booking a motel. Been back and forth several times now but I am getting no where. I have lost half of my money and I guess I can take solace in the fact that I am obviously not the only one who has had problems. It seems that I am one of MANY.

chasityb1
8/25/15

Please review their cancellation policy. They are a rip off. You must cancel before 1:31 that day even if you don't book the room till after then. We will never use this site again.

andyo8
8/22/15

I JUST MADE A RESERVATION THINKING THAT I WAS GOING DIRECTLY THROUGH HOTEL.. I WAS WRONG.. IT WENT THROUGH THIS GET A ROOM .COM .. I WAS CHARGED 10.00 MORE PER NIGHT A ROOM PLUS TAXES AND FEES WERE 194.50 FOR 2 NIGHTS!!!!! THE REAL TAXES AND FEES FOR THE LOCATION I BOOKED WAS 44.50 FOR 2 NIGHTS!!!! SO THEY TOOK 150.00 FROM ME FOR NO REASON! I TRIED TO GET AN ANSWER BUT NO ONE KNOWS WHERE FEES COME FROM NOR ANYONE PROVIDES YOU WITH A PHONE NUMBER . NO DISCLOSURES WHAT SO EVER

chriss294
8/20/15

The other night my wife booked the travel lodge in Lethbridge Alberta through you guys (at the cost of 106.53 which was more than the 79.99 quoted to her) and we were unable to check in once we arrived. After a long time on the phone we were told that our purchase would be refunded. We have only been refunded 101.14. I have decided to email you this error to see what you will do to rectify this situation. Beyond the frustration of not being able to use our booking that we made through you, and having to wait around while this was sorted out when we simply wanted to check in a get some sleep, I find this difference in the refund to be insulting. Without this concern being adequately addressed I will certainly share my experience via different feedback modalities online. Please let me know as soon as possible whether or not you intend to make this situation right.

Tip for consumers: Look elsewhere.

17 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Getaroom staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question