US Government's NSF

55 Washington St., 5th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
Tel: +1.7188557955
press@etsy.com

People interested in Etsy are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

niconal

We have loved everything we've ordered and received great customer service from all sellers on this site. (in 55 reviews)

athenae

(so no seller can steal your money without a punishment, and so no one does.)
(in 213 reviews)

norap7

There is NO phone number or CSR behind ETSY, just an automated email that everyone gets if a complaint is sent. (in 18 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

normal1
3/12/15

Etsy can be a very profitable site to sell on but beware as there are some serious pitfalls.

I would advise any seller to have a fall back plan as Etsy can be very unforgiving if you break one of their rules. They are very arbitrary in applying them as they will let off some shops (eg for reselling) but penalize others for just one non vintage item which mistakenly creeps in.

If you search Google you will see that Etsy has a very bad reputation for this.

Another negative is that their forums are run in a very unprofessional way by semi literate "hipsters" who can often misunderstand words and phrases used in other cultures. Then the writer gets banned from the forums for a period, or even premanently for the kinds of petty infringements which would not even be infringements on other forums. Moreover this means you cannot even post in the "bugs" section or on the Etsy blog - both of which can be a real disadvantage in running your business.

All these online sites have their petty spineless snitches but snitching is a fine art on Etsy. These creatures are given to much power and credence and often operate in groups to take down shops of sellers who are competitors. In some ways its like a cross between Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia.

Having said all this its possible to make good money on Etsy if you have a unique product on which you can make a good margin. Just dont get involved in the politics of the site.

The ratings I have given below are for Etsy as a site, since it is a platform for independent sellers.

Tip for consumers: My advice would be not to post in the forums or get too involved with other sellers. Just keep to the rules, keep your head down and run your own business.

paulag12
3/9/15

This is a great site to find just about anything and also very unique, handmade gifts. Even furniture. I like the rustic look, trunk tables, etc. And there are several "shop owners" that make anything you want. Sometimes the shipping is more than the product when it comes to furniture, but not always.

sherryb15
3/3/15

Ordered a wreath from HollyWoodNVines, order was shipped with missing LSU plague. Was not informed of the problem. Called the day I received it & was promised that they would rectify the problem, never happened, called 3 more times no answer. E-mailed & again was promised a plague was in the mail. Never happened. Got in touch with Etsy
insisted I 'open a case" Unable to open a case since I cannot send a photo of said wreath. As I have gifted the wreath. Really disappointed. Will never buy from Etsy again. Poor service.

Tip for consumers: Don't buy from Etsy, they will not resolve problems if you can't send a photo,

breannar2
3/3/15

I've had a shop on etsy for years now and have purchased from there for even longer. It has it's ups n downs.
If you just look at it as a platform to get your small biz running....a cheap starting place. It's wonderful. New sellers DO have a bit of a learning curve...got to learn photography, SEO, how to promote yourself but this is all things a new seller anywhere will have to learn.
Etsy started my company ( untamedrose.com ) out and gave me a chance to grow. For that I will always be thankful. BUT They are also really bad at all the "extra" stuffs they promise like "support" "getting hold of them" "education" So dont "rely" on them for such.

Lot of the reviews here really are about the wrong company........there are tons of great sellers/companies on etsy....and some really Blah ones to down right scams. Buyer beware as always check That companies reviews, read the listing, and ask Q's. A good seller will have no problem answering them. :)

gerardov1
2/28/15

Esty took my money refused to give money to merchant and now they refuse to refund me my money there theives

sunnyf1
2/28/15

Every buyer I've bought from has beautiful packaging and my favorite items come from Etsy. If you are unsure about a seller, check their individual ratings and reviews. Otherwise, highly recommend. There are many reasons to support small businesses and buy vintage :)

Tip for consumers: Contact your buyer and check their reviews.

astak1
2/18/15

No protection against fraud. I bought a necklace for one of my bridesmaids from "Sharies." The necklace came broken, and when I returned it she was rude bordering on cruel and she:
1) denied it was broken
2) Told me that it was my fault if the necklace was broken because she posted an image of it
3) Told me that I did not know how the clasp worked and that's why I thought it was broken
4) Told me if it was broken, the mistake happened in shipping
5) Told me there was no possibility of returns and I should have thought of that before I bought a necklace from her
6) Told me I had no recourse for reporting internet fraud because she clearly states on her Etsy page that she accepts NO RETURNS
I can see why

Tip for consumers: Don't buy from "Sharies" because they sell you broken jewelry and you can't return it

patriciah31
2/18/15

At times, I have kept a shop on etsy.com and have used etsy.com for unique purchases for years but their more recent customer service is appalling. With the addition of their new app, they are refusing to allow customers to choose how they will pay for items. They REQUIRE the use of Pay Pal if you have a Pay Pal account. Since this is 2015 and I am residing in the USA, I have the RIGHT to pay how I wish. In addition, there is nowhere on the etsy site that allows one to provide them with feedback or to ask them questions. This is a current national trend and it signals consumers that the company has become too concentrated on GREED. Finally, much like ebay, the sellers on etsy.com charge exceedingly high shipping fees to disguise the true price of their items, a dishonest and unethical trick at best. Most people use etsy.com because it is a way for artists to market their goods without high fees and overhead. This turn toward the dark side SHOULD cause artists and concerned others to look elsewhere.

maryb156
2/18/15

Etsy support team members should really get themselves jobs elsewhere as they are champions with being slow, ignorant and poorly trained. But if this is what the Etsy management wants, then they have reached the goal. My messages take weeks of not months to respond, never contain anything helping and in 100% it is brushing me off their laziest shoulder. Shame on you, guys, and may you have the same attitude from everyone when you need help.

Tip for consumers: since I am not able to influence the support level I cannot advise of anything better but being aware and trying to stay away from it, it really sucks.

lindac81
2/12/15

i've bought hand turned crochet hooks....very happy!!!

cindyb41
2/10/15

I've read some pretty terrible reviews for Etsy, but luckily I have not experienced any issues. Just ordered something for a friend and asked if it could be sent a few days before their est. shipping date. The seller was very sweet and I got my item WAY faster than expected. Love Etsy.

michaell110
2/6/15

A fantastic market place for all hand-made fashion items, accessories, jewelry and more.

sues50
2/1/15

I have been a seller on this site for over a year now. I think it's a great community and I have nothing but good things to say as both a seller and as a buyer of Etsy products!

Tip for consumers: Make sure you are clear as to what you are buying. If the Seller does not have a clear photo of the item you wish to purchase ask for her/him to provide you with one. Also ask about the size of the item if the Seller has not disclosed this in her listing. You should also never pay more than what the actual shipping cost is to the Seller. Ask if you will be reimbursed for shipping overages if the shipping quote turns out to be less than expected.

hillaryp
2/1/15

Please read my seller review. I have sadly been a seller on Etsy since 2012. They have taken over $4000 in seller fees and continue to bill me for a closed shop. They have something called "Direct Checkout". This is where a buyer will pay me and Etsy holds the money for 5 working days. This is an escrow company that just makes money on our money. There is an 877 number to call that rang for over 17 minutes. No live chat, no actual human answering phones. Stay away!

Tip for consumers: Stay away from Etsy.

richylh
1/21/15

Etsy is hard to review overall as you are buying from individual people,so like anything you get some good,some bad and some in between. I did have 2 items that were never shipped and their shop was shut down. I filed a claim through paypal, was refunded the money. You can get some great stuff but you have to do your homework. Read the reviews,I don't buy from people with under 100 reviews unless I have previously bought things from them before,check their join dates,really look at the pictures,if there is only 1 I usually won't buy from them. Read the descriptions and the store policies. Overall I really enjoy Etsy and have found some great and unique things but you need to do your research to make sure you're buying from someone legit.

Tip for consumers: Always read reviews before buying!

jenniferd46
1/18/15

This website is hard to give a full review on seeing as its shipping from the stores themselves. But for me I have been lucky to get the good ones. My orders come within a timely matter and the whole process is just wonderful. I think that it is a grest website.

paulg65
1/14/15

i got charged for something in my bank account wtf dont know they are ?

Tip for consumers: i hope i get my money back

robinn15
1/12/15

Don't purchase from merchant retronana. She elects to not track her packages and refuses to compensate for lost packages or to show proof that it has been sent.

Tip for consumers: Read all the fine prints and reviews first. Also know that if you leave a review the seller can reply and you will not be able to respond.

mainel
1/8/15

I only purchase from this website when I come across something I really want to buy, e.g. book merchandise (I'm a bookworm). I've had about three experiences with different sellers. The first 2 sellers were polite and helpful, and my items arrived as promised. The last seller I dealt with, was quite abrupt (he replied curtly and I felt annoyed with him) and I felt quite uneasy about making a purchase from him so I backed out of the deal as politely as I could.

Given the fact that this is a marketplace, I would say that not all sellers are bad. But there are plenty of scammers around too. You should be extremely careful about who you purchase from.

Tip for consumers: If you ever purchase from this website, please do research on the seller's credibility (although it's difficult to, because I'm not sure if the bad reviews get posted). Also, I saw a lot of items that were ridiculously overpriced (at least 4-5 times more expensive), so please make sure proper research is made, so you don't get ripped off. If you get scammed, chances are Etsy would be absolutely useless when you ask them for help. Plus, use PayPal.

jaimef7
1/7/15

I've mostly had good experiences with Etsy. However, I'd definitely be careful. I've had 2 semi-bad experiences. I always recommend reading their descriptions, to see it they sound knowledgeable, and check their credentials. I also check their reviews, & you might even want to e-mail former customers. Obviously, at website like Etsy, people making handmade crafts will vary in skill. Never trust a product that only has 1 photo of it, or a jeweler that can't identify the gemstones they used. Always communicate with the seller before buying their products, and ask them questions. That said, most of my dealings with Etsy have been good. Also, 1 of the 2 sellers that I was semi-disappointed with, they were happy to give me a refund. Sometimes products look better in the photo, sometimes they look better in person.

ricqw
1/5/15

WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE? HOW CAN THIS COMPANY POSSIBLE SCALE WHEN THERE IS NO, REPEAT NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT.....

Tip for consumers: cavet emptor

janies8
1/5/15

My first order was from Mentis 1987 And not what i was expecting, Description on product said it was sterling silver Not true. The chain was silver but the pendant is not ,don't buy from this person they are not selling what they advertise

Tip for consumers: don't buy any silver products from from this people,Only the chain was silver

kathyu1
1/3/15

Love love love Etsy.com

karenh60
1/2/15

Buyer Beware, worst online experience ever. Lindsey from Etsy Modernmama sent a $300 Christmas order to the wrong address, when asked to assist to fix the problem she shifted all the blame to me the customer which is very unfortunate. The idea of the product is good, quality is ok but the service, shipping QA, refunds and value are not worth the purchase.

Tip for consumers: Buyer beware, customer service is more than lacking.

marshk
1/2/15

They just ripped me off. I purchased 3 cards of Lady Ellen hair clips. They charged me $12.00 plus shipping and only sent me one card. Only 8 hair clips on a card. I tried to complain to them and they wouldn't even accept my complaint. This is a real rip off. I can't even contact them. Don't ever use this website.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this website.

annah57
12/28/14

I've been selling on etsy a long time. My sales have been terrible no one can find my listings. When you look for something handmade its mixed with the vintage. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. I advertised to bump up my products so someone would find them . I sold 1 thing at Christmas and they are returning it. I see others with products that aren't as good as mine for more money. Clearly there is a pecking order I'm real sick of it . The site is very disorganized. their listing categories suck they don't listen and aren't doing anything to make it better. BTW I make my living online but can't seem to sell much on etsy

Tip for consumers: bring your patience with you.

angiel10
12/26/14

I really liked an item and wanted to buy it. For 2 days I tried to use their payment process, PayPal, but it was not working. You can not contact Etsy. The email that I sent, asking for help, was answered with the suggestion to “contact the seller”. I did and after 4 days, agreed to send a Money Order to the seller. You can guess the rest of the story. The seller took the $377.00, cancelled his Etsy account and his cell phone number. Etsy said they couldn’t help me because I had not used PayPal…..but Etsy, I tried for 4 days!!!! Etsy has ignored the entire issue and was not willing to give any forwarding info or any help so that I could try to re-coup my money. It has been reported to the police. There is no support for the buyer. Beware!

Tip for consumers: Be careful. If their PayPal does not work, keep shopping anywhere except Etsy!!!

debl7
12/23/14

I am a seller on Etsy for the last 4 months. Just recently was contacted by their product integrity department saying I need to change my gift baskets despite the fact they are the same as hundreds of other sellers. They are saying my baskets are not handmade despite the fact I hand make every basket. No gift basket has all handmade items items in in especially food items and I have seen plenty of sellers on there doing the same thing. I believe it is selective persecution although I do believe it is a good sight for getting your product sold. Sellers beware this can happen and I have seen other reviews about this. No gift basket is totally handmade and trying to get a seller to change things in their gift baskets is limiting their business creativeness. Allowing everyone to sell things not totally handmade but targeting certain ones is unfair so sellers beware in the Gift Basket category.

An update to the review 4/22/15.
I recently did a search on Etsy of gift baskets and have found some that were filled with items not handmade. I went back and cautiously added items to my gift baskets and reposting the photos. Well, as of 4/22/15 my store has now been closed permanently for selling filled gift baskets like everyone else. An empty basket does not sell and is just a decorated basket not a gift basket. Apparently Etsy is strict with some sellers and not others so sellers of Gift Baskets beware!!! You will not be selling gift baskets on there just decorated baskets. Sell at your own risk on there!!! There are plenty of other non discriminating sites that will allow you to be creative with your gift baskets. Etsy is not the only site to sell and certainly not the fairest having forgotten what made them as big as they are - "the little businesses". I'm sure they would not close a shop making them big money percentages so unless you have more than Gift Baskets I would definitely think twice about selling on there!

Tip for consumers: Sellers of gift baskets heads up you may encounter this problem from Etsy

at399
12/20/14

I buy things there all the time,so far it has been good.Only once did I not have a good exchange with someone who took money and I never heard from him again.But it was only a small amount so I will chalk that one up to learning a lesson.But other wise good site.

Tip for consumers: Try it for yourself.Just be careful.

brendonm12
12/17/14

This website is hard to rate, as everything on it is handmade and very unique. That being said, I have ordered from them 3 times, trying to be fair. I have had 2 horrendous experiences and one uneventfully average time. The sellers for the most part are quick to ship, once I was VERY upset because an image of something I bought was radically different from what I received (color, size, weight etc) only to message the seller and NEVER getting any answer. I cannot trash the whole website I may have just had a couple bad experiences. I will still look around from time to time, might buy something else I like but for now, MEH

Tip for consumers: Just be sure to read and REREAD everything posted about the item BEFORE you buy it, to avoid any mishaps.

jayj35
12/15/14

Believe it or not if you thought ebay has alot of fake / counterfeit merchandise than stay off of est.com. Just do a search of "cc" brooch, pin, ribbon, bracelet, earrings, even REPLICA and you will see tons of counterfeit Chanel merchandise. I have tried reported these counterfeit items through the "report item" button on etsy and even writing to etsy's supposed marketing integrity department but etsy REFUSES to remove any counterfeit merchandise on their site. Since the sale of counterfeit merchandise is illegal and etsy REFUSES to remove these items, etsy should be held culpable. Shame on you etsy.com

jerrys41
12/15/14

They do not honor scheduled order shipment dates. I am 5 weeks into a placed order with no ship date yet despite several broken promises.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this site or trust this shipper

nigelt6
12/14/14

Be VERY careful about using this website!
We found product description (earrings) misleading in that an antique was strongly implied but what was received was cheap modern. Similar things are available almost anywhere. We paid GBP £36 but US parcel carried customs declaration value (by sender) of USD $9.99 which is approx max GBP£7 at current exchange rate.
Attempted to return goods (as is our right under UK Distance Selling), but no reply to email.
US supplier had originally made preposterous claim that the nature of the goods meant no return would be possible. Because ETSY has what purports to be a UK website (and thus, registration), and because we were paying in GBP£, we stupidly assumed ETSY UK would properly abide by Distance Selling customs.
...should have known better.
The goods we want to return are absolutely unused and pristine in every detail in original unmarked packaging. Goods are fit for resale without contest.

We have ZERO RESPONSE to attempted communications.
For ourselves, we shall NEVER deal with ETSY again....and suggest you think twice.

Tip for consumers: Be very careful!

shyt
12/5/14

I ordered and paid for my item promply, after a week I sent numerous messages to the seller in regards to when my item would be sent, after another week they responded that they were sorry about the delay and would send it, after almost a third c week he or she finally sent it but the tracking number is still in the same area after another 5 days! Iron icky the seller is no longer a seller and etsy wants me to try and work it out with the seller! Well I'm still being redirected to a seller that no longer exist! No money and no irem!!!

Tip for consumers: Be prepared to have an awesome ride on a Faris wheel!!!

rogerb44
12/4/14

Wouldnt use this site ever again, ordered an item through them it was sent within a week, that bit was ok, need to return as it didnt fit thats where the problems begin. You are asked to contact the seller about returns policy before they can help you. Tried this sent four e mails to seller and not one response from them, there is no address to write, no invoice in with the goods, no telephone number to contact them.So if the seller wont respond and Etsy wont help until you've contacted the seller your basically left with goods that are of no use and £30 out of pocket. Am now going to seek further action.

Tip for consumers: Dont use.and if you do remember that the shipping charges are half as much as the goods you buy, well in my case they were.

juliec35
12/3/14

I ordered 2 Christmas tutu's from Chacha Tutu and absolutely love them! My grand daughter looks so precious in them, I will for sure be ordering many more from them. If you have a little girl in your life check them out at chacha.tutu@yahoo.com or www.etsy.com/shop/chachatutu

ashleyl33
12/1/14

This is by far the WORST website I have ever used! DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE!!! I ordered a lawn decoration from this website on Nov. 16 and paid $78. When trying to contact the seller to get a ETA on the order, I received an error message that they are not a valid user on etsy. I tried emailing the seller from my personal email account with no response. Their website sends you around in circles trying to find a contact email or phone number for etsy for some resolution to this. Because I ordered a Christmas decoration, I thought I had ordered in plenty of time, not realzing I am now out $78, have no decoration and no responce from the company. Thank goodness I paid through Paypal and they actually care about their customers satisfaction unlike etsy. Most worthless site ever!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THIS SITE!

kathleenw6
11/27/14

Never received item from the seller, who replied that she'd look into it then did nothing. Was not only told by Etsy that I couldn't open a case when I contacted them, but the Open a Case button is missing from my purchase page, even though the 54th day from purchase and supposedly 60 days from the item's processing date allowed (btw, I don't recall ever seeing an Open a Case button for this item). Etsy also informed me that their sellers are not obligated to replace or refund non-received items (wow)! Your remedy? Contact your Credit Card company and dispute the charge within 60, even 90 days (check the claims limitation of your own credit card company to be sure).

fiorem
11/22/14

I have ordered a piece of jewelry online on sept 29th and as of this date nov 22 have not received anything. all though they have credited my credit card. I have tried to contact them. and even though their web site looks like they give you a way to do so after writing it comes back undelivered. The piece I ordered was sub let to wishingstone design. which I also tried to contact with the same results. I guess I could kiss the $$ good bye?? just in case they see this my order# 160916522

emmab70
11/20/14

I paid £30 for an item on etsy, estimated delivery time 1 week its bee 5 weeks and I still haven't received it. Horrible website never ordering off of it again.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it

jonih4
11/19/14

I am a seller and buyer on Etsy, have been since 2008. I sell handmade (really) jewelry and also supplies. I have had one bad experience so far in all these years of buying supplies, gifts that are truly handmade. First I read reviews. Then I ALWAYS make sure they have been on the site for long enough to earn those good reviews. If I ever decided to buy from a mass-producer, I would expect to get exactly what I paid for. Maybe if more buyers would search for real handmade (shame on Etsy for allowing otherwise) then the mass-producer would disappear. They are cheap and that's what you will get....or not.

Tip for consumers: Check for handmade!

anonymousa25
11/18/14

I recently bought a leather bound journal from an Etsy shop. When it arrived, I was horribly disappointed in the quality. It was some cheap imitation leather. The image on it was already wearing off around the edges. I asked the seller if I could return it, and initially he said yes. But, once I put it in the mail back to him, he disappeared. After multiple unanswered messages, I finally left a candid 1 star review for the purchase and opened cases against him both on Etsy and PayPal. The seller contacted me right away after I posted the review, demanding I delete it or he would not refund my money. Anyway, PayPal took care of what Etsy did not, and refunded it. However, I was very surprised to find when I went back on Etsy that the review on that purchase had disappeared. I contacted Etsy asking why it had been deleted, as it was an honest review. They sent me back a message saying that while they "realized the seller had initiated the exchange about deleting the review or else no refund, but it violated their anti-extortion policies." It went on to say they would take action against my account if I used reviews "again in this way." So basically, this guy is selling cheap crappy journals at a premium price, keeping money from products returned, and then HE blackmailed ME demanding I delete an honest review or else he wouldn't refund my money and I have Etsy threaten ME with action against my account?! How does that make sense?! Talk about victim-blaming! What a horrible, horrible company. I will NEVER buy on etsy again!!!

letiziak
11/18/14

A platform with countless flaws where as a consumer I got swindled by the seller and Etsy did not even reply to my complaints. I advise you to stay away because if you encounter any issues Etsy will not intervene, will not even TRY to intervene.

minyb
11/14/14

I had a horrible experience with this company! I found an item I liked. It was what I was looking for and the price was great! It was only $10.00! When I received it in the mail, it didn't look anything like the picture or description! It said it was a Creamy color, but it was actually a sandy brown color! I contacted the seller to tell her about the issue and she said she would give me a full refund except for shipping. Normally that would be no problem, but then I had to pay the same shipping to return it. So I ended up paying $12.00 for a $10.00 item! This is rediculous! I will never use this company again and will tell everyone not to ever go through them!!

karissab
11/14/14

I got scammed by etsy! They took the money, the seller no longer exists and I cannot get a hold of them in any way. Etsy can't do much about it either since they are just a hosting site for the seller. It is unfortunate that people like that are able to register on this site and scam people like this. I am a poor college student and need every penny I can get. This was the worst online shopping experience I have ever had.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it

kathrynf
11/14/14

It is interesting that there are so many positive reviews of this irresponsible website. I wonder how many are folks that sell on Etsy. After my Jennifer Hardin experience of being defrauded of $250), I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. If YOU do and get burned, don't say you were not warned

lindseyh23
11/12/14

If I could, I would give this site a zero. Ordering and paying for an item is easy. Keep your fingers crossed that it comes because apparently the sellers on Etsy are just allowed to rip you off. There is absolutely NO buyer protection or customer service. The only response I received was an automated email telling me not to identify the company that ripped me off for privacy reasons. Yeah right! So that they can continue to rip other off. By the way, it was "Southern Royals" out of Florida and they essentially stole $57.50 from me. Stay away from this website.

6/29/2015 - Just a follow-up to say that I never received the item and was never refunded the money. I am quite sure that there are plenty of ethical people who sell items on Etsy. The problem is, as a buyer you have no way of knowing who is ethical and who is not. The vendor I purchased my item from had received raving reviews. If the website has no protection for the BUYER, then you are taking a risk anytime you purchase something from this site.

ginettec
11/1/14

I was thrilled when ETSY came along. I am a fine artist, oil and watercolor paintings. But after a few years I got tired about the lack of support for fine art. Even when I list a painting there is no style specific to fine art, like Impressionism, Drawings, line art, etc. styles that pertain to fine art. I can't recall ever seeing the front page promoting original paintings. ETSY became a place much like EBAY huge and a Goliath of rules to wade through. From what I have read from other sellers that were removed, there seems to be an arbitrary removal of sellers over Handmade rules. I see people list nothing but images from Society6, an on demand maker of pillows, bed spreads shower curtains etc. These seller list these items as handmade even using the pictures off Society6. Yet they are made in a factory and basically drop shipped. I stopped listing much of my original art since ETSY simply is not a good place for fine art oil paintings. My average start price for an original is $300+ The exposure and love I get from ETSY is dismal. ETSY is best for under $ 100.00 stuff. If you are a serious artist listing on ETSY is not the way to go especially since the literately hold your lifelyhood in their hands and can drop you without any due processes and without any explanation much like EBAY did. I now have my own online presence, my own domain and a storefront created with shopify and I control my SEO. I have sold some originals already. Now when I spend advertising dollars I promote my art, my web site. Not ETSY. I occasionally I list an original and make it for a limited time only, then it gets moved to my website. ETSY isn't doing anything for me as a traditional fine artist. All my buyers had been happy, and many signed up with ETSY just to purchase one of my paintings or two. ETSY started out as a great idea of uniqueness and handmade and has morphed in to the New EBAY, where true artisans have to compete with lots of junk and mass manufactured items, claimed to be handmade and the high end spenders/consumers don't look at ETSY.

As far as a buyers I can say that I sometimes buy soap or clothing on ETSY and my experience has been positive. It does take time to investigate the sellers and make sure you're not being mislead.

Tip for consumers: Invest your time and money into establishing your own e-commerce website. Especially if you sell anything truly unique, handmade at a higher price range say starting at 300 + dollars ETSY is not good for that.

francescas3
10/28/14

I am a print graphic designer. I work for a printer. People more than once or twice have sent me files for invitations that they paid for that were supposed to be "print ready" and they were anything but. They were fuzzy, low-resolution files that were not even set up properly for printing at all, indicating that the "designer" had never even gotten through Graphics 101. If you want something designed, please remember that just having a computer and some Adobe software and some clip art does not make someone a designer any more than having an expensive set of pots and pans makes someone a chef.

wendys31
10/28/14

AWFUL!!! Ordered something for the first time and it will definitely be the last. On the sellers page it noted 5-11 business day for delivery. Ordered on October 4th figured that would be enough time to get here for Halloween party on Oct 25th. According to confirmation the merchandise shipped on the 7th. NEVER GOT IT!!! When I demanded to know where the merchandise was was told could also be held for customs for up to 4 days. Why wasn't this said? When I asked for a tracking number so that I could find out where it was the seller told me that she doesn't ship items with a tracking number or insurance. WHAT??? After a few more emails I was offered a refund for the item. Today got an email saying will report me to Etsy for not being polite and accusing of scamming. Imagine I was mad about something I paid for and never got! Said go ahead already closed my account. I was then told couldn't refund yet because not enough time has gone by to open postal investigation. Oh and by the way the seller wants the merchandise back if I ever get it. REALLY you want the money and the item. You know what FORGET IT. LESSON WELL LEARNED WILL NEVER USE THIS SITE AGAIN!!!

Tip for consumers: DON'T EVER YOU WILL BE SORRY

20 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Etsy staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Hi, I just found the etsy website n was curious if anyone knew from experience how etsy WALLSKINS r...?
3/3/13
Answer
behzadg
A: I am agree with Ramina. 90% is not hand made . all comes from Factories . when someone has over 8000's item don't you ask who made it . They are all over from Pakistan to turkey east to west up united state . Etsy is happy just to take your money and every 4 or 5 months closing one store to show off and if you have some money as a credit they take it too . no customer service , no respect no manor , they made policy just for FUN and they have FUN with our pocket . stay far from them FAR FAR.
6/9/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: are the products authentic on etsy?
4/29/15
Answer
tracyq3
A: I would have to say no, with LOTS of exceptions. In the past few years Etsy has allowed business to claim handmade if it meets certain criteria. I often see many items that claim to be handmade but I have seen them on Alibaba being sold in bulk. That being said I look very closely and have purchased some wonderfu items from great sellers. The biggest problem with Etsy is that they no longer protect customers from fraud (they say they are not liable) but in doing that lots and lots or resellers and counterfeit items have saturated Etsy' s marketplace. I would never buy anything "vintage" there. What I have seen you are getting thrift store rejects or modern fake. Buyer beware! Investigate all vendors carefully!!
4/29/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Etsy staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

8 Photos for Etsy