US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kayv5

First, as a host I have spent countless hours answering questions from potential guests who DO NOT read the listings. (in 178 reviews)

nolaa

If you have a problem, Airbnb customer service is almost nonexistent. (in 55 reviews)

tn1

Your credit card isn't charged until after the fact. (in 33 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

lindak70
9/4/15

I Used airbnb for a trip to the LA area this past August. big mistake our first 6 days we're booked with a different company those six days were really really wonderful. The next two days we were booked on a boat in the LA area the day before we were set to go to the boat Airbnb emailed me that the reservation was cancelled by Airbnb,for some technical issue with the owner of the boat. I got this email at approximately 7:30 p.m. the night before the reservation.I called Airbnb and described this the situation they told me I could book another reservation on their site or request a full refund.not knowing the LA area very well I decided to try to find another place on the website. after finding two places I would have considered I decided to email both owners for information. I accidentally pushed request to book on the one I didn't really want but after a few minutes found out that I had booked it so I was stuck with it.The next day we show up at the property and it is absolutely disgusting it smelled moldy and dirty, there was mold in the bathtub all the windows in the home we're open airing it out. many of the screens were broken along with the blinds covering them.I would not have paid $10 to stay there more less 170 dollars.There are a lot of other issues with the property but I don't need to list them all. Upon deciding we could not stay at the property we left to get a bite to eat and contacted Airbnb.I was then informed I needed to return to the property and take pictures of the things I did not like. To my surprise the next day I was awarded with a full refund which was nice.I just feel that Airbnb really needs to look at the places they put on their website to ensure the guests are getting what they are paying for. A few days of my vacation we're ruined because of all of these arrangements that I had to remake. I will never use Airbnb again my vacation is much too precious to have to waste time doing something I've already done.There are much more trustworthy options out there.

glauciab
9/3/15

I have stayed in three different houses through Airbnb. I had different experiences in all of them. The first place was in Geneva, Switzerland. The apartment was filthy, in addition to the fact the hosts smoked inside the house all day long. The second was in Lausanne, Switzerland as well, and the place was dirty, noisy, and there were many hidden charges by the owner not mentioned at Airbnb. The third place was in Milano, Italy, and this one was really clean, and really nice, but the hosts was kind of rude. I think I ended up paying too much for the two first places I've stayed.

What I really disliked about Airbnb are their sneakiness for somethings: (1) I've had my review slightly changed once when I didn't use any vulgar language; I was simply criticizing the cleanness of the place I've stayed. (2) They bugged me for days to review one of the places I've stayed. In the end, they gave me a $25 dollars coupon to redeem in my next trip. Except that they sent me a coupon to expire in 24 hours!!!

I had enough of them that I even deleted my account!

davet50
9/2/15

There is no ABTA and no ATOL protection. Check the reviews and you will see it is not unusual for hosts to cancel your booking the day before you arrive.

paulm217
9/2/15

After renting my 5000 square foot residence in Half Moon Bay ,Ca to a person claiming to have 5 plus people staying at my home. this individual claiming to be a practicing yogi and very honest ended up having 60 plus people attend his wedding at my home. Not only did I let him check in early, he had the audacity to check out late when I had other people checking in that day. He flat out lied in his contract to air bnb and to me. I had neighbors calling the night of his wedding and I tried contacting him over 5 times that night without a return call. The only time this prick called was the day he was leaving to inform me that he was checking out late. Needless to say I was not happy and informed him that he violated his agreement and to get out.that day I tried calling air bnb and was on hold for over an hour with a continual auto response your call will be answered within 10 minutes. After several phone attempts . I had my assistant email Air bnb and asked for the security deposit ,since he violated the terms of his agreement . Air bnbs response was how dare that I ask for the security deposit and they said there were no damages and I wasn't entitled. What a crock of ------ ,they tried to make me the bad guy out of this horrendous breach of contact. There security clause is just as bad as insurance companies, deny, defame and defraud. I will never use this company again and other home owners in my area are aware of what happened and they discontinued with Air bnb. This company has no scruples or boundaries and there customer service is limited to emails only with no human contact. My recommendation is stay away from this arrogant company, there bottom line is money. And there security deposit is worthless. They,deny, defame and defraud.

julioh9
9/2/15

In a long vacations, with my wife and 2 kids, i did enjoy an spectacular apartment in South Boston using Airbnb, flying next to Chicago, using Airbnb too, i found a "CAVE", dirty and totally mess, i inmediatly leaved that disaster and notified Airbnb about that situation. They encouraged me to talk with the owner, i told her about mess and dirt, she never refused about this issues. I sent to Airbnb pics, some was really shocking and felt confident about my refund.
Airbnb answer my request, giving me back 27% of my fee, telling me that i cannot prove my complaint and this is it. Due that i canceled reservation, of course, i can not write my horrible experience and warn to anothers users about my scary situation. Airbnb offers me a coupon by $100, using it the next time, so great.
Julio Hernandez jchpabon@yahoo. es

hannan6
8/31/15

I had a very bad experience with Air BNB. I followed the process, precontacted the host, and then booked the room. That was 48 hours ago. The host never responded so my reservation was cancelled. The town I was booking in has very limited options, so this really hurt my housing choices. Please find a way to connect with non-responsive hosts or screen hosts based upon responsiveness. This is not acceptable.

debrag23
8/30/15

My husband, son, daughter-in-law, and myself recently traveled to Spain. For one leg of our trip (3 nights / 2 days), we used an AirBnB home. After we were back from our trip, the host filed a claim for damages stating that we had infested her home with bed bugs. She alleges that the same night of our departure, she slept in our bedroom suite and woke up the next morning with hundreds of bites all over her body.

Not one person in our party had a single bite. I even contacted the hotel we stayed at after our stay at the AirBnB home. They brought in professionals to inspect all the rooms, and did an extra examination of the two rooms we stayed in. They found no evidence whatsoever of bed bugs.

I have been fighting this claim since we returned home. Thursday, August 20, 2015, I received an email from AirBnB stating that we were in NO WAY responsible for bed bugs. This morning (August 30, 2015) I woke up to read another email from AirBnB stating that WE ARE responsible and they have already charged our credit card for the damages.

I would like other to people who may want to use AirBnB over a hotel to understand the risks they may incur. We have no way of defending ourselves and proving that we DID NOT HAVE BED BUGS. It is such a scam. If anyone in our party had experienced bites, we would have let AirBnB AND the host know. It seems like AirBnB is there to protect the hosts and have no regard for the customer.

We have contacted our credit card company and are disputing the charge. I have proof in the form of an email from AirBnB stating we ARE NOT responsible. They even provided a $125.00 voucher for future use. No thank you!

No hotel chain would treat their clientele like this and I will never use AirBnB again.

angies28
8/29/15

NEVER Again will we use Airbnb.
You THINK you are getting a better deal than staying at a hotel. NOT THE CASE. You can literally find yourself not only paying for commission charges from Airbnb, and the per-night charge from the 'host', you leave yourself wide open to a ridiculous security deposit, and claims of all sorts by the hosts of the place you might stay.
We were using airbnb since 2013 and we have had fantastic experiences with many hosts at but it was only down to pure luck. If a lunatic / neurotic host decides to ruin your holiday, they can!
They claimed that we destroyed (with shower steam ) their baby's paper planes that were hanging above a changing mat it the bathroom (that should not be left there at a first place) , stained two of their towels with some dirt they couldn't remove and apparently spilled something on the floor and damaged the laminate. (No one of us remembers anything of this).
Nonsense!!!
..airbnb sided with the host, and wants to charge $600 the security deposit to my Visa card. They didn't even bother to show me the pictures that the host presented as 'evidence'".
We were not even allowed to dispute their decision!!!
I called my bank and spoke with a supervisor, and I hope to be able to stop this totally unexpected and unfair charge out of nowhere!!! .
I totally lost my trust to this company.
Would you valued me as a client , you would have to compensate me, for putting me through this hellish nightmare!
My previous positive experience with other airbnb hosts made me believe that this was a trustworthy company.
Alas! They are NOT worth your trust!
This would have never happened with a holiday park, a hotel or a proper B&B.
This Christmas our holiday will be with a holiday park in the Netherlands.
NEVER Again will we use Airbnb.

debb711
8/29/15

I am a travel Rn and got a contract in Roswell NM and found a place on airbnb. I contacted the owner who want to rent outside of the airbnb site at a significantly cheaper rate which i thougt would be great Pixs misrepresented the property. It was a double wide trailer and I ended up staying WITH the owner and his son. Trust me not enough room in his double wide trailer. I ended up sleeping on a bunk bed in the laundry room and there was absolutely no privacy. He accepted another booking and expected me to "move" into his room and his bed sharing his master bath while he stayed on the property in a camper. He also expected me to maintain the property, care for his dog, and run his airbnb business so he could go on vacation. Single female so my creepy meter went off. I paid for 30 days in advance. I know pretty stupid and never will get a refund. This guy is a total jerk using airbnb to hook you then book out side of the site so can't get my money back. Beware of Roswell nm

eitanc
8/28/15

Stayed in a Brooklyn apartment booked through Airbnb.
Old and neglected was sold as "charming."
Could not sleep in the stuffy, uncomfortable space.
Left after two nights and requested a refund for the third, supplying Airbnb with photo documentation.
Got the refund, but Airbnb removed our review because our reference to an Airbnb investigation violated Airbnb's protocol.
Airbnb refused to allow an edited version of our review to be posted to their site.
It seems to be about money at all costs rather than fair information to be available to prospective guests.

tomw80
8/28/15

Until the last three stays. Hosts are misrepresenting their offerings. E.g., dirty, no parking when they say just the opposite. Last one was uninhabitable because it was too hot inside the premises - the host had all the windows locked shut. From now on I'll travel less, use budget motels and find hostels to stay at. For the amount of time and effort involved in securing a decent airbnb space it just isn't worth it. And airbnb doesn't remedy misrepresentations or properly refund guest charges when they should. They give you a number to call in the event of a problem but these people airbnb agents you talk to are apparently incentivized not to offer any solutions that would cost them $$ - they just like to talk. And agents contradict each other and don't follow thru on resolution promises.

ofern
8/28/15

I used the airbnb website to find rental properties for my family vacation. We found several properties and tried to book them. Turns out that you have to wait up to 24 hours for the owner to respond, and in the meantime you wait and don't know if the owner will accept your proposal or not. Some of the owners declined, some of them did not respond at all, and one of them even accepted and later declined. In the latter case my credit card was charged. They sent me an email "asking" if I want a 10% discount on the next reservation, or if I want a refund. I did not notice that an action is required from my side. Only when I reviewed my credit card charges and saw the charge, I contacted airbnb who explained I have to "request" the refund in order to receive it. I got very angry. What if I did not notice the charge on my credit card? maybe I was never going to get my money back. In short, I don't recommend using this website. Better use other website where you can make immediate booking and not wait until owners respond, let alone take your money before the reservation materializes.

deannaj6
8/28/15

The web site is set up in a way that is pretty deceiving, so BE CAREFUL. When you select a property you are interested in, there are 2 big buttons to choose from. One says "Request Booking", the other says "Add to Wish List". Since I was interested in corresponding with the host and determining availability, I selected "Request Booking". BIG MISTAKE ... I am sure it is somewhere in the small print, but if you click this button and the host indicates the property is available, YOU ARE CHARGED! And good luck getting your money back!! I seriously thought I was sending an inquiry and once the host told me it was available I would go back in and do the actual booking. As it turns out, you must scroll way way way way down to the bottom and locate the tiny little button that says "email owner" if you are not ready to have your money stolen.

The customer service is AWFUL! The host was nice and understood what had happened. He authorized for me to receive a 100% refund of the rental fees, but Air BnB was still going to only refund $390.00 (out of $882.00!!). I am still fighting to get the rental fees refunded. I highly doubt they will refund the "Air BnB service charge" of $85.00.

This company is a scam!! Be very careful!

michaels302
8/28/15

I am in the process of attempting to cancel my first reservation on airbnb. The process is frustrating, airbnb charges you fees without clearly telling you in advance (although the information was certainly available somewhere), and it's rather a pain.

tonyk36
8/25/15

First off, their website is not reliable - very difficult to maneuver and sometimes just not working. Communication with airbnb? Forget about it - their whole business model is to never have any communication with any guest ever! If you have a problem you're on your own. Also, they lie about the prices - get you to commit, then jack you with fees. It's hit and miss with the owners - you'll have no idea who you end up with or what the place is like. It's just not worth the risk and I see it getting worse as more dishonest and unethical people jump in for a payday.

leleg
8/25/15

Last weekend I had the pleasure of staying at Carol Edelberg's B&B located in Mowbray just 10 minutes out of Port Douglas. This was a nice B&B. The rooms were big, the beds very comfortable, and we had a lot of privacy. Carol was a great hostess, she has been a local for over 25 years so provided us with great tips on where to go and what to do. At the end of the day we really appreciated coming home and jumping into the big beautiful swimming pool. But what I really liked about staying at Carols was how close I was to nature - with the house sitting at the top of a ridge we were able to observe a variety of wildlife, that sometimes I felt like I was sitting in a tree house.
If your looking for a slower pace and peace and quite, I strongly recommend staying at Carol's place.
Lele Gakas
17/8/2015

Tip for consumers: Carols place is a little out of the way so you will need a vehicle to get in and out and there is no public transport in this area

janf18
8/24/15

I won't use airbnb again. It's a pain in the ass and you don't get to review the host or the place you're staying ahead of time.

pattys20
8/23/15

I was a first time Airbnb user, and was traveling to Los Angeles for weekend with my 2 teenage daughters. We were driving from a neighboring state, and mainly wanted a house with a kitchen so we could cook some meals, and save money on the vacation. I am a fairly skeptical and through person, and I read the amenities section very carefully. Unfortunately, this host, Kendra G, in L.A, only had one review, which was positive, but I would have preferred more. I have since learned reviews cannot be trusted, that often people are afraid of offending the host and aren't honest, or that hosts even get friends to write fake reviews for them. (They can do this by booking the location, paying for a night or two, writing a review, then receiving the cash back from the host/friend for the "reservation") that in fact never happened I took a leap of faith and after a couple messages back and forth, I booked her 2 bedroom art-deco house in the Eagle Rock neighborhood, for it's seemingly decent neighborhood, and it's proximity to all areas of L.A County, for $129 per night.

The house had no AC, which she had listed on the property description. However, it was during a heatwave in L.A, she only provided one fan, (This was for 2 bedrooms), and worse even, two windows had screens missing, one on the master bedroom, so those windows couldn't be left open at night to cool the house down. She also charged a $75 cleaning fee, per reservation, yet when we checked in, the kitchen counters were dirty, and needed wiping, and the kitchen was also moderately dirty. For a $75 cleaning fee, you don't expect to have dirty feet after going barefoot for 10 minutes, or to find popcorn and other debris sticking to your feet in the kitchen. Her front door also had a broken doorknob lock, (working deadbolt) and the front door stuck SO bad several times during our 3 night stay, we had to go out the back patio slider, around to the front, and physically push our way in through the front door, just to leave the house. It's a very unpleasant thing to do in 100 degree heat, in a sweltering house, as you're trying to leave.

Those were moderately irritating, but the worst was discovered as we opened the house up to cool it down. A large window in the dining area not only was missing a screen, but the lock was also completely missing. NO lock whatsoever, not even a dowel. The patio slider, (Very old, with plate glass), also had a lock that was completely GONE. Missing! It didn't even close all the way leaving a 1/4 gap, even when it was slid shut all the way. the slider had a large dowel in it, but in fact, the slider could still be slid open 6-8 inches, allowing a slender person to possibly slip through and get into the house. Now, we're talking about a house in Los Angeles, not some country town in the middle of nowhere where you can leave your doors unlocked. It was a huge security concern, and we ended up fashioning dowels and adding some makeshift security measures, that made the house feel slightly safer to leave our valuables in. We didn't feel comfortable leaving our laptops, jewelry, anything! I emailed the host, who have a bunch of excuses, but bottom line, it was ridiculous to deal with that. Of all the things you expect from a rental, door and window locks being present and in good working condition are an absolute MUST, and not a trivial complaint.

Air bnb has a double blind review system, to keep people honest. If the host and guest both write reviews for each other, they publish publicly simultaneously, to keep people from basing what they say on what the other person says. Once that's done, the host has one chance to reply to your review, however it's written. Kendra G wrote a pleasant review of myself, and my daughters, as guests. My review was very honest about the lax security, and the hosts blasé attitude about it. I was not directly rude towards her as a person, but I stated the obvious, no one willingly pays for a rental, even in a "peer to peer" community, with broken door.window locks, and substandard security for yourself and your belongings. She was VERY unhappy, and wrote an extremely snarky response to my negative review. Interestingly, she never denied that the doors/windows had broken locks and missing screens, she just used the public format and her degree in public relations to call me a poor guest, and say my dissatisfaction was "unwarranted." I guess it's laughable that she only had that to say, when she read my negative review. So, in theory, the double blind system is good, keeping people honest. However, the fact that other reviews can either be faked, or not really trusted, makes me leery of EVER using Airbnb again. I certainly would NOT use it if I was going to foreign country! At least, close to home, you can figure it out if your reservation goes completely wrong!
Stay away from Kendra G's L.A home, unless she's made those few small door/window lock and screen fixes, that would make her guests so much more comfortable. Other than that, be very wary going into a Airbnb reservation, and DEFINITELY have a back-up plan!

Tip for consumers: Use very cautiously, read every bit of fine print, have a back-up plan, and call Airbnb the moment that something goes wrong, don't wait until after the reservation is over. (I didn't know this) Call so everything is documented, and you may have some, even a small amount, of recourse.

amelyb
8/22/15

Had a most awful experience with the AirBNB and the host in Copenhagen.

Host: Xiang / Liuhui Wu

Address: Sundholmsvej 83 A, st., 2300 København

If you treasure a good travel experience, avoid from far proximity.

anniem46
8/20/15

We tried airbnb for the first time. We secured a Montreal downtown loft. It advertised air conditioning. When we arrived, it was +33 degrees C outside. The inside of the loft was just as hot without air circulation. The window air conditioner was blowing air, but clearly not enough to cool the place (either broken or simply not big enough unit). We called owner. Owner said it was too late to call technician. He came over with a fan. We spent one of the worst nights ever in an accommodation. We paid $235 for one night of hell. We could have gotten a decent hotel with air conditioning for this price. The issues I have with airbnb is that you have no recourse if there is an issue. If this had happened in a hotel, they would have put us up somewhere where it was cool, or they would have refunded us for our experience. Other issues is the ridiculous cleaning fee they charge. Isn't cleaning the cost of doing business? If you need to cover this cost, then build into the price. We left the place spotless except for 2 used towels and bedding. It was stated on the site that renters remove all of their garbage before they leave, wash their dishes, and if shoes are worn in the apartment, renters will be charged additionally. We were appalled when the property owner walked into the space with his shoes on. With a hotel chain, you can usually know what you are getting. If there is a problem, they will do something about it to keep your business. With airbnb, your only recourse is a bad review. We wrote to airbnb, and so far, we have received nothing back.

nancys87
8/20/15

My first (and last) experience with airbnb was trying to book a space. The listing was reasonably priced and perfect for my travel dates. My reservation request was declined. I assumed that someone else has requested the space before me. Turns out the listing was reposted that day for $60 more a night. I was curious so posted another request for the reservation. The request was denied. I am betting the price goes up again today.
Contacted airbnb and they said they can't control it and have no repercussions for hosts that raise their prices in this manner. Good luck with that business!
The host, by the way, is "Shannon" in Las Vegas. I'd suggest you stay away.

wesleyr8
8/19/15

We used airbnb to arrange what we expected to be lovely cottage accommodation for family visiting for our wedding. With less than a week to go our booking was cancelled adding huge amounts of stress - I had been recommended airbnb by a friend but wish I had read this sights in advance as had I known this could happen I not have used airbnb.

Airbnb offered an extra £100 towards another booking but with so limited notice of the cancellation any remaining accommodation in the area was either too much or unavailable.

We had a great wedding but the whole experience would have been much more pleasant had we not used airbnb. I am sure you can get great value accommodation if you are lucky but I believe that our experience shows it cannot be relied upon - please avoid our mistakes.

Tip for consumers: Only use if fallback options exist or accommodation is non-essential.

angien6
8/17/15

To all travelers who may wanna choose accommodation from airbnb, I have a bad experience to share. You can find the link of this dishonest host below.

The host requested that we should not make noise at night, so I always reminded myself and I did not make noise. However, they forgot to tell me that I could not shower after 10pm or the neighbors would be disturbed. After the host told me not to do so in the next morning, I apologized and he accepted it, and I did not do that again. And everything is fine until I left a good review on the host profile. She, the another host, accused me as a noisy guest and disrespectful of house rules, which I am furious about that. Why should I withstand this after obeying her house rules, or maybe because of her mistake to forget to tell me not to shower? Plus, she has a very bad attitude and being offensive when I asked her why she accused me in this way, such as saying 'are you normal or what', but every word I said to her is based on fact and show my kindness. I wish I can upload our conversation here so everyone here can have a clear picture.

The purpose of this post is to protect all travelers not to go for the wrong host. After all we guests deserve to have a comfortable stay, right?

florenced13
8/17/15

Terrible consumer service. The house we rented in Washington DC was poorly located, in a neighborhood where we didn't feel safe. Police was everywhere around the house and we couldn't walk on the streets feeling safe. The house host didn't leave one drawer or one spot where we could put our cloths and belongings. They left their stuff everywhere which really gave us the feeling that we were living in someone else's shoes for one week. We felt very uncomfortable. When we asked for partial refund, Airbnb and the owners didn't care. We were very unhappy about our first experience and will never use Airbnb again as I've heard since then that this kind of poor experience happens a lot with rentals through Airbnb.

joelf12
8/16/15

I have been waiting for over a month for them to get me a payment for my first hosting. Some problem occurred with them sending a check and then they couldn't find it. I sent a message, it was ignored. Tried for half an hour to find any phone number, called and the issue just got passed on to someone who sends a senseless reply every two days or so. I call to complain and they say there's nothing they can do. I'm preparing to take legal action against them at this point. So incredibly frustrating!

mege3
8/16/15

I have to cancel my booking for October as my travel companion had a death in her family .. I am trying to talk to some one live to talk about how I go about cancelling under the exceptional circumstances category as listed on your website. The booking has a 50% non refundable clause,,, pls email me with a contact that I can talk to about how i proceed... thank you
Here is an example I cant get a response from anyone ... customer service is a ghost operation..

juliet100
8/15/15

Had issues with the room. The pictures did not match the room amenities

ellas28

Good fridge
Lots of towels

Bad points
The place was DIRTY
Plugs and wiring looked like an after thought
Balcony was probably never cleaned than the appartment
BUY an INTERNET card as we did get an occasional connection ( very occasional)
We managed to get the internet reimbursed as well as $55 which was supposer to cover the cost of cleaning.
The buiding is very run down as is the appartment. OK for young people needing a place to crash. My advise: pay a little more and get a nice place.
First experience on Airbnb, unfortunately not what I expected.

samuels46
8/13/15

In what I initially believed to be fortune to find housing in Houston through airbnb.com has turned out to be a nightmare. I had contacted a host in Houston to stay at his home for a month's stay at a rate of $640, which was a fairly good deal.

However, due to unforeseen circumstances I cancelled my reservation upon three days of stay. Not only was I slammed with the full month of rent at $640, I had to pay another $200 of fees directly to airbnb. I have tried to resolve this issue with the host, who is nothing short of unreliable and sketchy, and airbnb.com representatives, who evade my questions by citing nonsensical bureaucratic terms.

To those who are feeling even a bit doubtful of using this site, I strongly recommend going the tried and true route of booking a reservation through a hotel, or if you are staying for a longer duration, signing a lease with an established apartment.

I am thoroughly disappointed by the lack of transparency and unprofessionalism on both the host's and airbnb.com's part. Please heed my advice and don't make the same, impulsive mistake I have made.

-------------------------------
(As of August 22, 2015)

I have just been refunded $175 from the host and $125 from airbnb for the fees. As such, I am obligated to acknowledge airbnb's part in making efforts to mitigate problems and cater to their customers, and am thoroughly impressed.

Tip for consumers: Beware of unreliable hosts and bureaucratic garbage from airbnb.com

karenc77
8/13/15

I just filed a complaint with the CA Better Business Bureau against AirBnB. after being "sold" a flat in Paris with a working elevator, I arrived with my handicapped mother to find a 4 story walk up with the elevator out of service. My mother was trapped in the flat for 2+ days until it was fixed. The host told me he would give me a refund, but I paid $2295 and he only refunded $800 ("take it or leave it" was his response). So, I took it, thinking I could file a claim with Airbnb for the rest. When I called Airbnb the representative I spoke with agreed that I should get a refund, but when they finally got around to reviewing my dispute, it was denied, the reason was that "I stayed in the flat." Apparently Airbnb's solution for their customers is for the customer to leave the flat and walk the streets looking for a new hotel last minute. If I would have done that, I am sure I would be out both the $2295 and the cost of the new hotel. What abysmal service for a travelhost website. BEWARE OF AIRBNB -- they will scam every last dollar they can until the regulators or a class action lawsuit shuts them down.

mishac1
8/13/15

Sadly to be an Air bnb Host is NOT a good experience. Poor customer service and assistance from air bnb, site that malfunctions, they require you to pre approve or decline within 24 hours of initial contact even if you are still discussing with the booking guests. If you decline too many times then they deactivate your account or move your listing further back so that when new guests are looking they do not see yours! if you pre-approve and the guest changes things up or you have another reservation request for some of that time it makes it difficult to decline and penalizes you too. I have 5 star reviews and a ton of hostings however I could wish a better company would come along with better policies that allow this to be a smoother and more profitable process.

alexs271
8/12/15

I booked a place. Turned up and owner wasnt home.
So i booked another place.
Called Airbnb to cancel the initial one as i was mucked around.
They cancelled it, but never refunded the money.
They said it is upto the owner to refund the money as there is a strict cancellation policy.
There was no regards to me as a customer and all the dliema i had to go through.
Will never use them again.

And on top of this, the owner mentioned it is a Belle Air mansion, beautiful outdoor setting like your on a yacht etc etc. None of this was true. The house was just a simply two story, with lots of junk around.

irenap4
8/12/15

Terrible experience, the refund was denied by Aibnb, here is my complaint to BBB Business Review and my story:
I used Airbnb to book an apartment for a four night stay for a family vacation. The rental was advertised as accommodation for 8 people with 3 bedrooms, it tuned out to have 3 single beds in 3 bedrooms to accommodate 3 people maximum. One of the beds was small child’s bed, smaller and shorter than regular twin bed. We never checked in as when we saw the apartment, it was clear we will never fit in, never got the keys or brought the luggage. The person that showed the apartment to us agreed that we can not stay there unless we sleep on the floor. The Owner has apologized, called around to see if he can get some extra mattresses and after he didn’t succeed, he offered the full refund if we cancel. We had to book the hotel for just 1 night while sending requests for other apartments through Airbnb. We cancelled the original reservation through the website, but refund was declined. We spent 3 days talking to Airbnb representatives that refuse to give refund saying that the number of beds is correct we have no right to refund based on number of sleeping accommodations. All hotels are fully booked in Barcelona in August, Airbnb didn’t refund $1000 and we needed a place to stay, we had no choice, but to try settle for this apartment even we would sleep on the floor. But the owner has already re-booked it. So we paid for it with NO refund and NO accommodation available that we were charged for. We never checked in or got the key. So we ended up with no money or apartment while the Airbnb and the owner got paid twice as they rebooked our dates.
I would like a full refund.
The apartment was newly listed and had only 1 review, so I couldn't see if other visitors had found the accommodation capacity to be as misstated as I did. I contacted the host using the phone number on my reservation to ask about the refund or possible stay if there is no refund, but received no reply to my calls or texts for 2 days. Eventually he wrote to me that the matter of refund is out of his hands and up to Airbnb and the he re-rented the apartment to another guests for the days we booked it originally. So the “host” got paid twice and my family and I were left without the money $1000 and without the place to stay.
I began the complaint process with Airbnb immediately on the fist day and I was told to cancel the reservation formally through the website. Ultimately Airbnb didn't issue a refund, but instead offered a coupon for future stay in an amount less than one fourth of what I paid Airbnb for the rental. They denial of refund was based on the fact that the number of beds matter, not the number of guests advertised. Also, it was noted that I should have taken pictures of the issues I raised in my complaint. I was in the apartment only 15 minutes, never been given the key, the owner agreed to refund and I didn't think to stop and snap some pictures. Is my testimony and the testimony of my family not enough? Why would I lie about this? Would pictures of three tiny beds really add anything to the complaint? And now because I was advised by the Airbnb customer service associate to cancel the reservation, I am unable to post an honest review of the space and warn future potential guests to stay away from this rental. To me this is the most egregious trespass ** all since the whole foundation of the Airbnb model and the so-called "sharing economy" is the customer review system.

jordans41
8/11/15

It always feels like Airbnb is trying to sell you something. The headline prices don't include the service fees and cleaning fees. And the customer service they provide is all about minimize the effort they have to provide. Rented a really dirty house that looked clean in the photos. Airbnb doesn't offer any useful recourse.

Tip for consumers: VRBO often is better. I'd use it instead.

yasukot
8/11/15

Hosts are not required to have a business license nor have any knowledge about safety, etc. They are not required to have a criminal background check, and there are ways for hosts to write their own reviews. Most hosts seem to be people who can not hold a job and are looking for an easy way to make enough money to support themselves. A few are superstars and have committed to knowing how to be hosts.

bonnieb45
8/10/15

I made a reservation and realized I needed to cancel it a few days later (37 days out from date). Airbnb charged me $43 to cancel. That is a lot of money for the computer to make a couple of changes. I will be looking at other options in the future.

hyos
8/10/15

I had a lot of problems with refund my money and reviews on the website they don't put any negative reviews on website. only positive ones,...you can't trust it!!!
I have used Airbnb twice and very disappointing
looks good in pictures but in reality dirty nothing like pics..
Dont trust it !!

jamess281
8/9/15

Tried twice to book over Christmas new year period prices quoted on web site where reasonable but when booking reply was 1) closing for renovations highly unbelievable 2) rates are wrong if you want to book it will be double that price
Over it went elsewhere and got a better deal

sevd1
8/8/15

Airbnb disabled my account without any explanation back in June 2015. Well I think it was back then since I don't login into my Airbnb account that often. Anyway, I've had used my account twice since creating my account in 2014. First time when I booked an apartment in Europe and second time when I booked another apartment in the States. On both occasions, I received great reviews from the apartments owners and I wrote great reviews back about them as well. Everything was going smoothly. Two months ago, I wanted to check apartments in Europe again, but when I logged in, it prompted me with a message telling me "my account has been disabled please contact support". I contacted support thinking it was a simple mistake. However, they replied, "We've reviewed your account and determined that you have violated Airbnb's Terms of Service. As a result, we've decided it's in the best interest of our community to deactivate your account. We'll contact you if anything changes in the future, but until then, we won't be able to assist you any further with your account issues".
At first I thought it was a joke, so I replied back and asked them to elaborate on how I violated Airbnb's terms of service. No one replied to my email. I emailed them again without any reply. So I decided to go on twitter. After my first tweet, they replied and said they are going to look into my account. After few hours they sent me another email stating the following: “We regret to inform you that we'll be unable to support your account moving forward, and have exercised our discretion under our Terms of Service to disable your account(s). This decision is irreversible and will affect any duplicated or future accounts. Please understand that we are not obligated to provide an explanation for the action taken against your account. Furthermore, we are not liable to you in any way with respect to disabling or canceling your account. Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with respect to such matters, and this decision will not be reversed. We'll contact you if anything changes in the future, but until then, we won't be able to assist you any further with your account issues”.
Now I started to get really angry because Airbnb is treating me unfairly. I haven’t done anything wrong. And as I said before, I’ve only used my account twice with no problem what so ever. I think it is my right to know why my account was disabled. They just stopped replying to my emails. Very unprofessional

thomasg46
8/8/15

Like so many other reviewers who were cancelled by hosts, i had my booking in Paris cancelled one week before my stay. I must say that the AirBNB customer service rep gave me a generous credit on another booking. That booking was with a firm that managed 40 AirBNB properties. I soon found that the original concept of a host being someone who rents their home to a traveler has long been lost. When we arrived the cleaning staff had left dirty linens, etc. behind. The person who greeted us was a harried young man who hurried through the details of the place while complaining about the cleaning staff and the previous renter. We noticed that there was no soap and limited paper products. He explained that they had a small office and could not store such things and it was up to the guest to buy them on their own. Then he left us with what we found was a broken refrigerator. When we contacted him it took until the day of our departure before he arrived explaining that I was "rough" with my demands about the soap. I must mention that we paid $600 a night for the place. I don't think asking for soap makes me a "rough" guest. Seeing that AirBNB is now becoming a glorified hotel service I might as well just book a hotel in the future and not pay AirBNB a service fee.

debbiem49
8/7/15

I had renters in my small studio condo and then they decided to have two additional guests. I sent a request to airbnb.com for the renter to pay an additional amount for the two guest plus and additional security deposit as stated in the online contract. It has been 5 days and there is still no resolution or anyone available at airbnb.com to handle the matter. So in the mean time my 600 sf condo is being abused by 4 people with A MAXIMUM OF 2.

Airbnb.com representative are not proffessional and are unable to take care of any matters. I have called 5 times, its been 5 days and no word from airbnb.com. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!!!

malakaif
8/7/15

I planned a trip to Australia during the New Year period and i understand during that time of the year is very difficult to get places to stay so I definitely started making arrangements on AirBnB Months in advance. I spent weeks trying to find a place because even though hosts on the website will show their place as available on their calendars when you inquire about booking they'll tell you that the place is not available or they are looking for a specific amount of days (different from what they list for minimum amount of stays listed on their pages) for booking. When i finally managed to book a place, the host cancelled on me months later as my trip had drawn near. This was probably the most frustrating thing because all AirBnB did was offer me an extra $167 for me to reserve another place. They should really have some policies in place to keep host from cancelling last minute and making ridiculous minimum stay requirements that they don't mention in their booking descriptions. It's such a headache. In the end, getting a hotel was my best option because i knew they wouldn't cancel on me a day, week, or month before i arrived.

shang9
8/6/15

This is the first time i used AirBnb after i heard it through my friend. Everything looked just fine and i extended my stay for week more. But my host had unforeseen family commitment and she asked me if i can find a different place. So i cancelled the new reservation without realizing they don't refund the processing fee if client cancel instead of Host. Then we both tried to contact this stupid company, On their website they don't provide any email or phone number to reach. Every link on their site takes you to some pre-written response but no where show me contact information for finding resolution. Then there is urgent button which had toll free number listed, When i dialed it was on music for like 15 minutes but no response. I got frustrated and hung up. Some how after clicking so many stupid links it took me to page to send feedback but didn't have any email ID listed. I sent them details of issue and it has been 48 hours and no response. Even my host chatted with them and they told her that they will resolve this in 48 hours and contact me with in that time. But still nothing. They just want to suck your money, I bet if i have to pay them due then they would have contacted me in minutes but not the other way. My friend warned me about this site before my reservation but i still took that chance and regret it. But on the positive side, Got to stay with a good host and nice location. There are other sites which provide similar service and people aren't are aware of this. Since Airbnb is the first one, Every one knows about it but not many knows about their ugly side. Never had this kind of experience with any companies. These people need to wake up and smell the coffee before they start going down the hill. It is time we expose this ugly side of this AirBnb and i will never recommend this to any one.

Tip for consumers: Try other Bnb sites out there, What i heard from frequent travellers is that they are much better than this Air Bull$hit n Bad.

ala1231
8/6/15

Airbnb in my opinion and experience is a HORRIBLE choice. I made the mistake of booking with them. My experience: their customer service is arrogant and they are in my example untrustworthy. I was planning a South American vacation in June and heard about Airbnb. I went to their website and thought it was a cool concept. I could save money and try something new. What a mistake. After booking and paying for my room some 35 days in advance I thought everything was set and cool. At the last minute, practically on the eve of my departure, they suspended my account and canceled my paid reservation without explanation. I only found out through a private message from my chosen host as I was packing to leave. When I tried to correct Airbnb over the matter they demanded a copy of my passport, access to my Face Book and Google accounts and reconfirmation of my cell number. I didn't want a last-minute derailment of my plans so I unwisely complied. After all that, they wrote that my already 30 days ahead paid reservation was illegitimate and that my account was suspended. Attempts to receive a reason were ignored and I was repeatedly told that they didn't have to give an explanation and were not liable in any way for the mess. Subsequently I had to revoke their permissions, change passwords and accept their corporate hubris / insulting customer service as the "final word". I am now very committed to telling the world of my wretched experience in hopes of sparing other trusting travelers a similar big steaming pile or Airbnb treatment. The good news is, my money was refunded (they had no choice really), I didn't add to their profits and my host of choice understood and received me with a nice welcome. Beware of Airbnb. They might jerk you around as you're in departure as well. I am glad to say that already 4 other friends have now dumped their plans to use Airbnb and I will continue on a righteous mission to share my experience honestly as a cautionary tale regarding Airbnb. The exponential result should make it worthwhile. Choose wisely and seek accommodations elsewhere.

jewelb9
8/6/15

If you own a property and want to rent it thought AIRBNB be careful. They do not require any deposit. Guests can do anything they want without any consequences. They smoke weed and cigarettes inside the house, leave the property as dirty as they can without any recourse.
I did not have a god experience with guests from Airbnb. It is better to stay vacant than have the property destroyed for a few bucks of rent.

michaelc186
8/5/15

We've had a "confirmed" reservation for a place in Portland ("Pent House Condo") for the last two weeks of August since April. We're supposed to leave for Portland a week from today and just yesterday the owner canceled the reservation citing an HOA rule of no rentals less than 30-days. Did he not know this before now? Curiously I checked the calendar for the unit and it shows "Updated today" (i.e., 8/4/15) and "Minimum 13 night stay". Apparently Airbnb doesn't do a very good job of vetting its listings and the people list on the site. Fishy operation!

jz10
8/3/15

I booked an Air Bnb two months before the trip in Vancouver, CA. The host cancelled it two weeks before my arrival. Although I received full refund, I now cannot get a hotel at a reasonable cost, because the time is too close. So I have to spent MORE in the end. Not worth the time and money.

ms202
8/2/15

Worst rip off ever…. Inexistent customer services. Booked a villa in Bahamas and received an email from Airbnb concerning a possible fraud scam. Cancelled immediately the booking simply to find out that I will only be reimbursed 50% of the price, where the host does not want to show good faith. Lost 3000$ on a fraud scam.. Tried numerous times to contact Airbnb only to talk to a kid which has no clue. Awful experience and should avoid at ALL COSTS….

maureenn11
7/31/15

Wish I could give this a Zero Star... Terrible customer service and when you are using a tablet and press "request to book" ... You're screwed... Now your money is gone... Trying to rectify this has taken hours! The host gets to keep 50% and Airbnb a $67.00 non refundable cancellation fee...
Save yourself the aggravation and use Flipkey or Homeaway!

timh45
7/30/15

I bought a plane ticket and room in Martha's Vineyard, but 2 days before the trip as I'm getting ready for work I find out...airbnb abruptly canceled my reservation and asked me to verify my ID!! I verified my ID with passport, but then my account was closed.
I didn't know what to do, because all the hotels were booked. They never gave me an explanation, but luckily my gf was able to find another bed and breakfast.
If they had called me ahead of time or given me an explanation, I wouldn't mind so much. I guess this is the way airbnb does business.

23 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Has anybody that rented their space through Airbnb an advice/experience to share?
I am looking to rent rooms in my home and I am not sure if it is a good idea
11/27/12
Answer
susanm86
A: There is nothing IN THEORY that prevents negative reviews being posted on Airbnb. Guest and host both have 14 days after a ‘completed stay’ to post a review about each other – neither of which are published until the 14 days have elapsed. The host and guest apparently don’t get to see each other’s review before they are published. This is supposedly to prevent ‘retaliation reviews’ where guest/host sees a negative public review about them and posts an equally negative and possibly untrue review in retaliation.

However, I have to agree with others that there is a suspiciously lopsided balance of reviews on the site – go and search for yourself in any location, eg Barcelona, Moscow, Sydney, London etc, with no filters applied, and try really hard to find a property with an overall ‘star rating’ (an amalgamated Airbnb score based on all reviews for that property) of 1, 2 , 3 or even 4 stars out of 5. The VAST majority of overall star ratings are 5 stars out of five, a few are 4.5 stars out of 5. This just doesn’t ring true. As someone said on a TripAdvisor forum, “common sense and experience dictates that you can’t please all of the people all of the time – Airbnb ratings seem to suggest the opposite.” I agree, they do.

I don’t necessarily believe the positive reviews are fake or anything, just that it seems highly unlikely in such a huge online marketplace that there could be SO few negative reviews if the system was GENUINELY open and transparent. So I do concur with the theory that Airbnb somehow manages to block a large number of negative reviews. I don’t know whether that’s by Airbnb asserting its stated right to remove certain reviews, or because really bad properties - the kind where you turn up and immediately know you can’t stay there because they’re so awful – never get reviewed because if a guest leaves before 24 hours has elapsed it’s counted as a ‘cancellation’ and they are not allowed to post a review under Airbnb Terms and Conditions.

Anyways, it all points to the fact that you need to do your research thoroughly and be appropriately wary when considering booking with Airbnb. Read all the Airbnb terms and conditions, check the host’s cancellation policy carefully, communicate with the host personally via the ‘Contact Host’ button on the listing BEFORE you fork out any money, etc…. generally just be a savvy consumer and don’t get too swept up in the trendy Airbnb PR message of the ‘sharing economy’. Treat Airbnb like any other rental advertisement site and apply the usual caveats and precautions. And take reviews with a healthy pinch of salt, just like you would with reviews on TripAdvisor, Amazon or any other popular ecommerce site.
7/18/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: Have any homeowners reported tenants for illegally renting an apartment that was under lease (No subleasing) in NYC? Where was is reported (BBB or AG or other?)? I contacted Airbnb and they refuse to do anything, make ridiculous requests how information is sent, and they do not enforce their Terms of Services. Shouldn't they get proof that a person has the right to rent that property (a license and written permission if they do not own the property)? I am a small property owner (I live in the building) and it's high risk for someone to do this to my property, my tenants, and my family. (FYI we are evicting but I worry about future issues with other tenants in this sharing economy)
1/11/15
Answer
lucilleg
A: This is the root of my problem with AIRBNB. They do not check to see if a host can legitimately rent the place they are advertising. In my experience, the host cancelled 48 hours before, claimed she was going to be evicted if she rented to me. I was only 3000 miles from home. AIRBNB offered me a 10% discount to rebook another place. I did not and will not use them again.
7/22/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

13 Photos for Airbnb