US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kayv5

First, as a host I have spent countless hours answering questions from potential guests who DO NOT read the listings. (in 135 reviews)

nolaa

If you have a problem, Airbnb customer service is almost nonexistent. (in 38 reviews)

susanm86

How can a booking be “declined” when it was never requested in the first place?? (in 81 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

katys9
7/2/15

Earlier this month I was taken in by a scammer on the website of Airbnb. I found a property in Greece in early June and started querying it with the owner through Airbnb. Having never used Airbnb before I arranged the dates with the owner and emailed back and forth a few times. Somehow he got direct access to my email. Then I received an email different from the one I had used with the owner which looked like an Airbnb email address. The email included an invoice which had the Airbnb logo, dates, confirmation number, photo of the villa, what was available at the villa, including the summary of costs and any extras like a cleaner and then bank details for a bank with an Airbnb account name. The whole thing was very professional and looked like a bonafide invoice. The money was paid and when I tried to confirm something, the supposed owner stopped replying. By this stage the villa had been taken off the Airbnb website and it became clear that it was a scam as soon as we informed Airbnb. This has obviously happened more than once and Airbnb when contacted did nothing. They are very difficult to get hold of and didn't reply to most of my emails. They don't want to take any responsibility at all and there is no compensation as I had not followed their terms and conditions. Why do they not have warnings up of their procedures as you go? I have of course learnt a valuable lesson but I have also lost my graduation holiday in addition to losing Euro1,900 and airline tickets. I tried for 10 days to get a response from Airbnb and they don't seem to care that there is a sophisticated fraudster using their site to scam their customers. They even had the temerity to say when we finally got a reply that they are sorry about our experience and I quote 'we hope you'll go on to have many positive experiences on Airbnb in the future.’ Seriously, why would I ever use this company again?
As Airbnb would not help I went to the bank to try and get the funds back this way. The bank eventually got through to the bank in Spain who told us that the Airbnb account we used had now been closed. The scammers obviously know what they are doing and Airbnb don’t care that they have people on their site stealing from their potential customers.

drmf
6/29/15

I recently had my trip cancelled, TWO DAYS BEFORE the trip. To add insult to injury, I was offered either a refund, or that if I re-booked with Airbnb, they would credit me up to $75 if the new host charged more- all this with TWO days notice.

When I contacted the host directly, she said it was due to an Airbnb error in double-booking some of the days of my stay- and since they paid a slightly higher price, my reservation was the one chosen to be cancelled.

I coudn't find anything decent on AirCrapNB, so I ended up paying nearly $1,000 more to book a hotel with 2 days notice.

Absolutely LOATH aircrapnb, and please think CAREFULLY before using, either as a customer (you WILL be screwed) or as a host (they are concerned SOLELY with maximizing THEIR income, and not concerned AT ALL with your finances OR reputation).

DO NOT USE!!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE- IT is a RIP-OFF. They can absolutely destroy your vacation-

lus35
6/25/15

I registered with AirBnB on June 23. I agonized over their over intrusive verification process and submitted the last four digits of my social security number. Late that night, a credit card fraud was committed on my card. My bank contacted me and cancelled the card. I emailed AirBnB and they sent me an auto reply. I responded to that email and nothing from them yet. No thanks --I will pull my profile off.

sunnyt4
6/24/15

So, my review of the so-called "accommodation" which was a bed outside, yes outside, in the back yard covered patio lit with only white xmas lights and open to the rest of the house, with 4 roommates. Yes, 4 and me made 5 to share the small bathroom. I could go on but -- ridiculous. Takes a lot of digging to find "help" and then Airbandb took 4 days to send me and email that they hoped I got their email. Uh, no. There is no immediate feedback, phone number much less refund. The "host" who was not present by the way, never got back to me. What a crock! Where's my review? Does not appear. Had to find a hotel which took a while and of course cost more. I'm out of there AirBandB should be AirBandBS.

bobb723
6/23/15

I 'requested' my long weekend stay with a host I had previously spoken too, sadly they had forgotten to amend the times that their B&B would be available and the dates I chose were not up for grabs. Therefore, even if your request is denied Air B&B IMMEDIATELY take your money and 'HOLD' it for up to 7 days (I'm on day 6 and the money is not in my bank). They claim that they 'release' the money immediately when this happens and that it is up to the bank to get the funds back to you. Sorry, but I contacted my bank and no. It has nothing to do with the bank returning the money, it's because Air B&B TOOK money without even providing any service. So I am without the use of my £200+ now. Please be aware of this happening to you before booking and if possible contact the hosts privately before booking through the website. Certainly not worth the hassle. If you do not receive any service you should not have to pay a thing ... or have your money 'on hold' for ANY length of time.

davidg161
6/23/15

Here's a video of a bedbug in an airbnb rental in June 2015:
Warning: Yuck alert.
Airbnb help found alternative lodging for the night but left me stranded in New York with nowhere to stay for a week. Bed bugs, it turns out, are very common at airbnb rentals due to high guest turnover and lack of professional cleaning.

peacep
6/21/15

I just had my first bad experience when my host canceled a reservation I booked months ago for a place near the beach the week of 4th of July. Just be aware that when this happens to you, you only get the exact amount you paid back as a refund. They will give you a credit of 10% of what you paid toward another AirBnB location IF you can find another place on AirBnB, but maybe your experience would be like mine, where 2 weeks before the 4th of July, the only (one!) other place available in the area is 4x the price of what I rented. Even the hotel room I was able to find is more than 2x the price.
It does not make a difference whether the cancellation policy is strict or flexible, that policy only applies to guests, not the host. They have assured me that the host did have some serious personal reason for having to take her place down, and it's not just because she wanted to stay in a great place on the beach that week.
I'm not going to trash AirBnB because I've had a few successful stays with great hosts and places that turned out to be exactly what was described. Also, their customer service is good. When this type of thing happens, it's a bit lame that you can't talk to someone by phone, but the email back and forth has been prompt and informative, and they kindly gave me a coupon toward a future rental in the next year since the 10% credit policy wouldn't apply.

cedrika
6/16/15

From the friendly greeting by Raymond, the property manager, the welcome basket with fresh coffee, tea, sunscreen and tequila to the quality bedding and towels, these were all ingredients essential to making our stay a memorable one...for all the right reasons!

rhondap7
6/13/15

First and last time! I will never use airbnb again. We were scammed with an apartment we thought we were renting in New York. It was extremely dirty and not as described. Airbnb does not appear to screen their host homes. Our host accused me of lying and taking photos of the room after we dirtied it ourselves. Airbnb worked with me as I tried to get a full refund but in the end they got the final say and only gave us part of our money back. It cost us over $400.00 to stay one night in a tiny room with only room for three and we rented for four. Two of us had to sleep on the floor as the bunk bed was not safe to sleep under nor was it accessible as it was so close to the wall. We could have stayed in a nice hotel for that price. There were many inconveniences including key issues which ended up keeping us locked out of our room and having to walk to an off site place to sort it out. We contacted Airbnb with full details of our experience and photos and still were sadly ripped off. I'm sure there are great hosts and those are what get the great reviews but renters beware because Airbnb does not have strict or hgh standards regarding who can host.

pattyl13
6/12/15

This place must write their own reviews. This is the worst place to arrange a stay in Quito. They come on as though they are there to provide a great place - but that ends once you arrive. If there is a problem - they ignore you or won't get back to you. Much better places to stay than here - a total ripoff and Air BNB - as usual - doesn't care enough to resolve issues.

pamelam32
6/11/15

Really pleased with the flat it was clean and had everything you wanted location was excellent for us and will definitely be booking again thank you dan for all your help and always communicating with us look forward to seeing you November pam and ray swansea

maurag
6/10/15

I am new to Airbnb and I made a mistake which could have cost me a lot of money. Carl in Saratoga Springs, NY who has a WALK TO SPAC listings responded quickly and was extremely helpful and non-judgemental. I have read numerous horror stories about Airbnb but any company that attracts the like of Carl cannot be all bad. He restored my faith in both the company and the process. Going forward I look forward to the day I can report back that Carl's hospitality matches his efficiency and decency.

rajeshr5
6/10/15

[EDITED : ]
I would like to reply to this thread. It was issue with specific person dealing with my case at that time. My issue was resolved by another manager assigned to my case, who dealt with it very diligently and helped me through resolving all issues. He reassured my trust back in AirBnB. Thank you very much

ISSUE Before:

I booked an apartment in London and found various issues with cleaning. So i decided to call AirBnB and give them feedback and ask for suggestions, this is how they handled my situation :

1) I was told at the starting of the call that cooker is being used by me as she can see in pictures that it is hot - She wasnt even looking at right pictures. She was looking at "Siemens touch stove" rather than cooker - which she didnt want to agree to me and was telling me that if its not clean then its because i have used it. Then without listening, she said lets move to next point.

2) Mentioning for more "general amenities" for 10 days is not to be called as an issue - on which i explained that i have clearly mentioned that in my original email -"Doesnt really matter but SERIOUSLY?"

3) She said she can get the cleaner and that's all she can help with.

4) I asked if she is ok with my family staying in apartment where flush doesn't work for next 10 days- This didnt sound an real issue to her. I would like to know ANY person who would have paid 1700 for 10 days and you let people aged 60 live in apartment where flush doest work for more than 24 hours, to answer how good they feel about this?! - But as per tone of agent at AirBnB this wasnt something to be concerned about. - At the end of that "argument" - she mentioned she will let host look into it.

5) She kept mentioning, i cant get refund and stuff. To which i replied i dint ask for refund at first place when i called first time about issues to AirBnB. I was told if issues that i mentioned are there, that means i am not happy and i should look for another apartment in same range and can get refund. - So, i clarified that i was told by AirBnB and it wasn't me asking for refund.

6) On point of kitchen shelve being broken, i was told, this doesnt seem to be an issue - I WOULD like to let you know, my family is stayin in that apartment that i booked through AirBnB for 10 days, i dont think i would like them to stay in apartment that has broken shelves where glasses can be crushed because of upper shelve falling off because off no hook.

I tried explaining agent at AirBnB that what she is in video is after i have put a hook in the hole to let shelve take support of hook myself, otherwise when my parents opened the cupboard, it was diagonally aligned on glass cups - but again, she was reluctant to accept that this is even an issue.

--- In my defense -
a. if I would have been paying small amount, i will expect these things but not when i am paying way more. I COULD have easily booked AMAZING HOTEL rather than booking apartment through AirBnB and would have costed me less.

b. I would consider this also as a fact that i have seen this on first day and shelves are in this shape, i dont want to wait until something falls apart and injure my parents.

7) On point of utensils not being clean and stained - after resending pictures of what i was talking about ( Point number 1 mentioned) - I was told, well, base of utensil is clean but may be not top part so its ok. not a big deal. I would like AirBnB agents to be more careful and sensitive to what they are saying and talking to customers. Agent basically asked me to go ahead and cooked in half dirty stained utensil because according to her its fine. Seriously?

Overall, i am very unahppy with booking, host and top of it, AIRBnB. I have been staying in apartments my friends book through AirBnB from last 1.5 years, across the world. After this experience, this is last time i have booked through AirBnB and wont book through AirBnB again.

mmkm
6/9/15

It was my first time and will be last.. I had the worst experience I ever encountered. We saved up for the yearly vacation to Miami and booked a home to rent out. They took our money and gave us the wrong address. 2k was gone!! I was so devastated. I called the Airbnb and they did nothing.

wenkaic
6/8/15

I had bad experience through airbnb rental places' owners. I wasted my time in finding a place which can host us. The problem is with Airbnb, it doesn't enforce the acceptance of the place owners. The service through it is just not reliable. I would rather pay traditional hotel routes which don't reject me as long as I have $.

judyr13
6/7/15

@bocacafebakery ( Twitter ) amazing service , fresh original french croissants, espresso... Tried several items and always delicious . Highly recommend it.

dannid1
6/7/15

I rented tonight at $127 per night. By the time the cleaning fees and service charges okay. My bill was $514. They advertise as a full house but when I got there it was a low end hotel. my advice is that you use Google earth to verify the property you were looking to rent.

geraldh25
6/6/15

6-6-2015- Postmortem - this airbnb is a poorly run money grabbin unresponsive website. If you aren’t uber tech savvy don’t bother, this site is run by people behind the electrons with no interest in being accountable or responsive. You book & you don’t know it, you contact them and they can’t be called or emailed, they give you the biz & runaround by being unapproachable. Verifying who you are without any ability to respond or ask questions is unacceptable to me, maybe not others….approach this airbnb.com web site at your own risk ! !

bryang22
6/6/15

Airbnb is actively allowing scammers to be verified on their website showing properties for rental! I have lost £1,044 due to this and Airbnb have not help recuperate these funds whatsoever! When speaking with Airbnb they have said it is not their fault that scammers are on their website and actively scamming people. If Airbnb are not doing anything to police their own site how can anyone be safe? This company is unwilling to take any responsibility nor perform reviews to prevent this from happening.

When looking at a property photos were advertised showing the property and stating to email first to get a quicker response on their profile and photos. During the sign up process I no pop ups were ever seen waring you of these dangers, though Instant Book was! everything was their to part with your money not protect it!

Working in Fraud and Payments I am one which can spot these scammers a mile off though if I can be scammed it shows how easily anyone else can!

After contacting the Fraud Team and Police they have advised that this is aiding money laundering!

Airbnb when will you listen and actually protect your customers?????

jong46
6/6/15

I booked a one night stay in a one bedroom apartment in Sacramento and had to cancel because two guests that we're going to split the cost of the apartment were unable to attend. So I cancelled. I paid $142 for the entire night and once I cancelled I only recived $35 back (this all happened within a 10 minute window when I submitted my payment and suddenly had to cancel) the rest of the $107 went to the Host, and Airbnb took $15. I contacted the host asking what to do to get the rest of my money back and she "acted" like she didn't know what I could do so I called customer service and they told me all of that money goes to her! I was furious because once I informed her that I was aware that she pocketed MY $92 her answer was "since I booked the place it went off the site when other users could have been looking to stay" which I understand but then she agrees to give me half, $46. So I gladly accept. She alerts me that she submitted the $46 dollars but to this day I have not received it! I was open and honest with her about the situation and kindly explained to her money is very important to me since I am a college student and am only working part time. I'm not saying everyone out there is like this but first impressions are the most important! I will NEVER use this site again and believe I will spread the word to family and friends to not go near this site!

You are all better off getting a hotel! At least you can get your FULL refund back!

jl85
6/4/15

If you're in the LA area, do not rent from Erick R. through Airbnb!!! (1383 Hauser Blvd Appartment 8 Los Angeles, CA 90019) I should have known from the beginning it was not going to be a good trip because the host was unresponsive until I contacted Airbnb and let them know he had not reached out with check in instructions.

I don't need much but expect the place to be clean. It was not. I came in from a red eye and was hoping to get some shut eye before a packed trip. My trip was only 5 days but each day was filled so I really did not have time to spare. First off, the parking is gated but off a busy street, meaning you have to stop traffic, open the gate, run back into your car, and park. When I first parked, the creepy neighbor downstairs peeked one eye out from behind the curtain to see who was in their lot. That's cool. I'm not easily scared.

When I got upstairs, there were hairs everywhere when I lifted the sheets. Hairs of all sorts included pubic hairs!!! When I texted the host, he said there were replacement sheets in the closet. I unfolded the supposedly clean sheets and there was a huge brown stain in the corner with a few splattered spots.

Furthermore, outside noise was extremely loud. I could hear their neighbors walking around in their homes, using the bathrooms, talking on the phones.

First, I tried cancelling online. The host said he could not honor my request because he was losing money. I got on the phone with Airbnb and told the situation. I told them I already went ahead and made reservations with a hotel bc I could not waste more time with surprises. I explained this to the host as well and expressed my intense disappointment.

Anyways, I get home to review the listing to find that I wasn't allowed to because I had canceled it! What a scam! The Airbnb rep said next time I should read the reviews (which I did). So, that makes me think... what about all those people that arrived, hated it, and canceled because they found pubs in their sheet too?! I would never know because they weren't allowed to review.

DO NOT USE AIRBNB! No traveler protection whatsoever. They tried to take the remaining 50% of the nights I canceled!!!

Tip for consumers: Read the cancellation policies. Unless the host has FLEXIBLE status selected, expect to lose 50% to 100% of your money if you hate the place!!! Unlike hotels, if your unit is gross, you have no options!!!

nadiab5
6/3/15

I had a 2 months reservation for Romania, the host seemed friendly and understanding, and everything was going great and shiny. Just until the moment I had to cancel my trip, because just 1 week before the flight my passport got stolen.

To be honest, when I filed for refund and applied for extenuating circumstances, I didn't expect much. Just "hey, it can't do any harm, right?" attitude.

You can imagine my surprise, when one of the support team guys contacted me and went through length to get all the details of the situation and give me the best deal possible!

As a result, I had a partial refund AND a voucher for the next trip. But, most importantly, Taylor was incredibly HUMAN in understanding the situation and her actual support.

You could feel that you are not talking to some automated response human machine on the other side of the globe. That's what was really precious.

Thank you, guys, I will definitely travel with you again!

chrish146
6/2/15

Airbnb allows its owners to offer a price and date and then state they are not available. Then the upsale occurs when you are offered another unit for 1/3 more than what was offered. Of course you wasted 24 hours almost and then feel pressured to get a room as the hotels rates start to close in. They will suffer with adoption if they do not correct this issue.

phils38
5/31/15

a most complicated site,,dont even know how to accept bookings,IF I will get paid, no way to contact airbnb..most frustrating..will stick to good old gumtree..easy/cash in hand/ free to use

katiew22
5/30/15

This was my first time using airbnb and I will never use it again and never recommend it to anyone! I had a long term reservation (originally supposed to be 5 months) but experienced problem after problem.
1) My reservation was a long term and during it I occasionally traveled to other cities in the country for a few days, but would leave the majority of my stuff at the place I was staying in, thinking it would be safe. While I was gone, my host had put up a second listing of the apartment (which was two bedrooms, mine and hers) and rented out MY room to other travelers. She packed up all my stuff and would rent the room out to other people when I wasn't there. I only found out because I came back early one time, all my stuff was still packed up (taken out of the closet and shoved into my suitcase) and someone had forgot their slippers in my room.
2) I contacted airbnb about how I could move out without the cancellation policy being enforced, and they told me to just put in a request to alter the reservation and then I wouldn't be stuck paying the 30 day fee for not giving notice. Later that month I was charged $400 from airbnb and they told me it was because my host enforced her cancellation policy and they couldn't refund me the money even though they gave me misleading information.
Basically, airbnb gave me wrong information and I was penalized for it. They scam you out of your money!!! And to top it off I was living with a crazy person for almost 3 months!!
Never use airbnb!

reneej4
5/27/15

I am so upset. We put our house back on AirBnB because we enjoyed the nice people we met. Over the last two weeks we have lost three customers because the website, especially the payment system wouldn't work effectively (it could have been four customers but one had the sense to contact me privately). I spent an hour on on the phone this morning with their Customer Service (the number BTW is not on their website and I had to google it) and they said that they had fixed the problem. The CSR - who was extremely polite - said it was some sort of incompatibility between the e-mail I have on AirBnB and the e-mail on PayPal. He also said that he would send out an e-mail to my potential customers stating that it was AirBnB's fault not mine. Well the problem was not fixed and we lost another customer who got so frazzled she decided to stay in a hotel.

This is unforgivable. I did a lot of work and shopping to get the place ready for the guests and I am out of pocket by about $1,000.

Beware if you host or use AirBnB services.

Renee Jones

gianned
5/25/15

This is outrageous. For company valued at 10 billion dollars, I would think that they would care for their customer and acknowledge the obvious programming error that your computer system doesn't accept the coupon on your booking site. Also, that no one has the power to over ride "the system" to credit my coupon is not credible. Someone has that ability, who is that person?
I am no longer in your "community", as it is clear that your company's objective is purely monetary and takes no heed at all to valid complaints.
I intend to take my complaint further.

linnyl2
5/24/15

I booked a room in Stockholm, Sweden run by husband and wife. Husband seems a calm person but his wife is likely more emotional. Unfortunately wife runs this business in a major part compared to her husband.

Why I chose them? Because they are SUPERHOST. I was tricked, really.

When I checked in, I found the smell was quite strange but I didn't complaint to host because I thought it was reasonable and came from textiles. But then, I was tricked by hosts.

They did accuse me using a strong smell perfume with menthol smell which I never used. I also was blamed because that smell was stick on the textile. It's so funny that in fact I only stayed with them for 1 NIGHT ONLY! Yes, 1 night and most of my time was outside of their house because I was tourist to Sweden. What kind of strong smell you expect to be sticking on the textile and must put extra effort to remove it? Hosts even said that they need to buy new bed and textile! How come?

Also the fact that I hate perfume and NEVER use perfume in any occasions, it's something that I complaint to airbnb because that accusation is appeared on my public profile. Host waited for 4 days after I checked out to accuse me in fact they wrote on their house rules that they ALWAYS check airbnb (I took a picture of their house rules and sent to airbnb).

Airbnb didn't do anything, I complaint and said they can't remove that false review because it will break their regulations that built by trusts and transparency. What kind of trusts? Even they can't remove any disputest review and testimonials.

I made 5 bookings for my trip to Europe recently and this was the only problem. But I found how airbnb handles this case also the customers (guests) protection is ABSOLUTELY ZERO.

NB: Wife was pregnant, at the time I arrived.

cheriw1
5/24/15

I have been a Real Estate investor/landlord/agent for 40 yrs. I was contacted by Airbnb who found me on Craigslist 6 yrs. ago when they were just a few guys in S.F. renting out their couches, asking if they could list my rentals on their new website. I agreed. I was a loyal airbnb host for 6 yrs. I took total strangers from all over the world into my private Los Angeles estate guest houses, our Las Vegas vacation rental, and my famous W. Hlwd. Jim Morrison bldg. I accepted 1st time guests from all over the world who had no host reviews. I took their pets. I did this because Airbnb offered me a false sense of security, by holding guests security deposits and offering a host guarantee insurance policy which is currently $1,000,000.00. Yes, a million dollars!
Lets talk about the "Bad" guests. They ranged from irresponsible nuisances to shrewd con artists. There were the ones who broke or stole a few minor items, the ones who violated our common sense/common courtesy rules, or the ones who required "special services" but didn't want to pay for them after. The worst guests included necessary police intervention or major theft caught on CCTV cameras. There was the group of "squatters." They were wolves in sheep's clothing who came to me as short term vacation rental guests. Visualize "The Beverly Hillbillies" in a pickup truck with their dogs. They came off sweet as pie (landlord 101: beware of overly nice prospective tenants. No one is that nice! They are usually desperate people with bad credit, no job, who can't get anyone else to rent to them!) He even took on the job as handyman around the apt. bldg. They were able to drag out their stay, doling out breadcrumbs by paying a few days at a time. When it came time for them to check out, these predators who apparently support themselves by "working the system" refused to vacate the premises screaming "permanent tenant rights" in the grand scheme of things to con me out of $13,500 in re-location fees and to be able to extend their stay for one more year under the cities rent control laws!!!
As if this wasn't bad enough, I also got sued by the city who extorted me for nearly $16,000 in perceived TOT fees, which ended up costing me nearly $5000 in attys fees (who took my money and resigned from the case after doing nothing) before I ended up having to pay the city nearly $10,000 in fines.
THIS IS WHAT BEING AN AIRBNB HOST COST ME. And what support did I get from airbnb?
Now lets talk about airbnb. They come off syrupy sweet, calling you an "awesome Superhost." They act like airbnb is all about "sharing space" and "making friends." If I were looking for friendship, I'd join a social club. Lets get one thing straight. It's renting out space. Real estate. Real estate is a business. Bottom line, you are in business to make money.
AIrbnb is in business to make money. They take it from both ends- their hosts and their guests. They block out parts of hosts and guests email correspondence if they suspect it includes sharing contact information. Don't let them kid you. They expect hosts and guests to trust them with total stranger connections, lodging, and finances, but they do not trust their own hosts or guests to be able to communicate with one another in fear they will get cut out of the deal.
As airbnb & their # of hosts grew during the past few years (as did their negative reviews which began popping up all over on various websites) due to their mass marketing campaign, they appeared to care less and less about their hosts and guests. The 1st big scandal I read about was the host in California whose home was totally trashed by airbnb guests. That's when airbnb came up with their "$50,000.00 host guarantee policy" to provide panicked hosts a false sense of security. Most recently was the home in Canada that was totally trashed by airbnb guests. Airbnb upped the ante to $1,000,000.00. To be eligible for that type of host coverage, I suspect the entire family would need to be brutally murdered.
I am a professional, honest, trustworthy, "to the book" type host. I never once went behind Airbnb's back to try to cut them out of their original booking commission because I believe in karma and I believe everyone is entitled to their fair share of what they contributed. Also, never once did one of my guests ever make a theft claim while staying in our rental units. That speaks volumes for my honesty and integrity.
Many guests don't realize that when they book through airbnb, all payment is handled directly by airbnb. They never allow the host to be in possession of the security deposit. So when a guest commits damage, theft, violations of rules or requires special services, I exercised my host rights and filed a claim with airbnb under the guest's security deposit. To avoid having to process claims, airbnb will attempt to discourage hosts by running you through the hoops. Think boot camp! 1st you have to go through the "Resolution request" (asking your guest to pay you.) This link is nearly impossible to find on their site. Once you have found it, filled out the form, and sent it to your guest, the guest will usually deny the damage/theft, etc., get angry that you "accused them," refuse to pay, then leave you a false negative retaliatory review.
If you don't hear back from the guest or they deny the claim, you have to mark your calendar to remember to contact airbnb to "get involved." (if you forget, you are out of luck on the claim as the deadline has expired.) In order to involve airbnb, they will require photos, witnesses, original receipts, and/or comps. As a real estate investor with multiple fully furnished properties in 3 locations in 3 states, I would have hire someone to pull dead files out of storage and spend days going through thousands of receipts through the years to find one for a towel, mug, pillow or whatever for the damaged or missing item(s) in question! Once you have completed the form & provided the "evidence" (they do not trust their hosts word, despite the fact the host trusted them to have these strangers in their home who broke/stole their personal property items!) you wait to hear back from airbnb. None of my claims were what I would consider "substantial" amounts of money. Some claims were processed, but as time went on they were either denied, reduced, or ignored. When a guest flooded my unit, I filed a claim for $2,500.00 for my out of pocket costs. This was my and only claim that came under the $1,000,000.00 Host guarantee policy. After I went through airbnb's claim "boot camp" process, they said they were only willing to pay $500 firm (20% of my claim,) Final decision, no appeal.
Shortly thereafter, with no warning they deleted all of my listings and cancelled all of my bookings for the rest of the year. They told my future guests that it was I who had cancelled their bookings, so I had angry guests contacting me not realizing the truth, that airbnb had lied to them and that I was as much an airbnb victim as they were!
I still have approx. 1/2 dozen minimal claims airbnb ignored and never paid over the past year, along with the one and only claim I filed in 6 yrs. under the $1,000,000.00 Host guarantee claim for $2,500.00 that I was never compensated for.
If you are an airbnb host who incurred damage, theft, or unpaid claims and you would like to be paid, please contact me. Email: cheriwoods1@yahoo.com
Responsible guests are always welcome! See my websites below.

lindap77
5/19/15

Host (Cassandra) Nashville TN. DO NOT BOOK WITH HER. I had booked her house and than she cancelled without any reason.

sheo1
5/16/15

I had a reservation for 8 months for my daughters wedding next week for a 2 Bedroom Penthouse with Amazing Views in San Francisco. They sent me an e-mail a week before my stay saying "Unfortunately, we have some bad news about your upcoming stay at 2 bd Penthouse with amazing views! Your reservation for (dates) was canceled. HOW CAN THEY DO THIS!!! Do not rent from Dave Sullivan his penthouse located at 255 King St. Unit 1703 in San Francisco. What a douche to cancel our reservation and put all this stress on us.

iliasg9
5/8/15

I booked a room via Airbnb for 3 nights at 16 Fairfield Road, BS6 5JP in Bristol, UK. Olivia is the host. I checked out on 1st May at 11 am. I asked Olivia if I can leave my luggage in her flat and pick it up in the evening. She said this is OK.
I returned at 7pm in the same day, picked up my luggage and left her the key. No issues at all were raised by the host.

Two days later, on 3rd May and after I had left her a positive online review in the previous night, she emailed me complaining she found a stain in the duvet. She said she didn’t see a stain when she made the bed after I checked out and that she only noticed it two days later. She took a picture then, 2 days after my departure, and said this is the evidence! She claimed £60 ($90).
I replied her I have not left any stain and that it was her responsibility to report anything on the day of my departure.

Airbnb charged my card without asking my view!! This is against their own terms & conditions. Airbnb policy says they also ask the guest and wait for a response for 48h. I never authorized a card payment, neither Airbnb consulted me. They also haven’t provided me with the photos.
I have emailed Airbnb many times asking for the photos and why they breached their terms & conditions. They don’t reply me.
Airbnb steals guests money, don’t value their opinion and provide no safety net at all. I will never use Airbnb again.

Anyone wanting more details, please contact me via Twitter: @Ilias_Energia

juanp35
5/8/15

Always take a close look and careful read the cancellation politics for the hosts and also for the site, as no one book a stay thinking about canceling it sometimes there are strong reasons to cancel a trip, but there are some persons in the site that will not refund you a dime no matter what happen. I lost USD 700 with this BicycleJoe when my Mother got sick and I have to cancel my trip to NYC over night, he share his condolences but did not refund me a penny because of his own personal booking politics and because the guy is jobless. The site didn´t help at all even whet the situation fell in their politics, I sent documents and ll stuff I had regarding my Mom´s health but was not enough for them to refund me. So next time read careful the politics but mainly the other travelers reviews. And ask your parents a prevision of when are they going to fall sick so you don´t book any trip. :P

ros2271
5/7/15

Once i encouterd the horrible host experiences( Alges, Portugal )
the host( owner of apartment ) behaved so childish with temper.
help-support in Airbnb just suggested to progress in Airbnb Resolution Centre.
but the method of Resolution Centre is only for the host protection flow.
and not for the guest raised matter.
so inflexible.
anyway i could terminate my Airbnb activities easily by resignation.

for instance..... hiding he negative profile details about the host's apartment.

1. limited hours shower usage( does not specify any in host's house rules....)
2. host's Frenchman boyfriend frequently visit/stay and behaves childish.........
and make loud noise until mid-night, complaints towards guest( explicit he is not proper contact person in Airbnb business community)( does not specify in host's house conditions...)
3. horrible smell from neighbor, all the time at entrance and the lift space.
( does not specify in host's house conditions...... )
4. made loud noise and conversation after their dinner until 12 mid-night everyday
this is explicit rude towards guest members( does not specify in Host house conditions....)
5. host gave the duty the guest to buy the breakfast bread.
( does not specify in host's house conditions.......)
6. when i lost the inner room key, try to cheat me the compensation amount.( EUR 80)
( lost itself..... my fault explicit, gave the appology and offered compensation )
( behave as SCAM/Fraud ......... simple key, not registered in Key product manufacturer )
asked tourist police about the reciept appropriateness; "the contents of reciept is not
sufficient as official"( because the lack of contribution No. )........... behaved as SCAM
7. gave the temper several times as child, even the host exceeds age 60.......ha ha....
7. the review by the host is Not true.......... behaves fraud.

markm177
5/7/15

Sellers often advertise rates only to find out that they are really higher once the reservation is requested. This is a bait and switch in my book. Unfortunately, AirBNB is no help at all. This is infact acceptable in their book. There's no accountability for hosts or protections for renters. Save yourself the headache and book a hotel. At least they honor advertised rates.

steec
5/5/15

So stayed in a house off Coldwater Dr in Studio City. AvenIda del Sol...5 bedrooms 4 bathrooms and they failed to say bring your cleaning products...., $900 for a week end. House is for sale and upon entering you cn't help but notice dead flowers dried for days crumbling on top of a glass table that hasn't been dusted since The Clinton administration.. Beautiful kitchen, white cabinets, coffee spills and food all over the cabinet faces. The fridge was full of rotting produce...TV room carpet had more debris on the floor than you would find in a park after a Summer Sunday. 4 bathrooms. None of them clean. Crap and blood on toilet seats, hard water stains in all fixtures. Yellow pee stains on the floor around toilet. Dead bugs and live bugs crawling in the tubs..Really nasty. $1.5 MILLION DOLLAR asking price and the place looked like no one cared. Host unresponsive, Celia. So, make contact with air bnb send them pix, ask only for the cleaning portion of the charges to be refunded. Their reply, everyone's opinion on cleanliness differs. No refund warranted. I don't know folks, but Crap and blood on toilet seats seems like it would be a consistent poor level of clean to most people of basic intelligence. I guess if i went to air bnbs offices in Dublin I'd find them dirty, their RR's full of Crap and blood. No refund, tough sh*t Mr. Customer. Will dispute with my credit card carrier and see how that goes. Got to hold these dirt bags accountable. Won't use them, wont reccomend next time a hotel. Airbnb more like airbs

marinaz1
5/5/15

I put my house on AirBnB. One of the first bookings I had was for a family of 4 visiting to have a quiet weekend. I was not able to meet the guest when he checked in and left a key. This person threw a massive college keg party/crawfish broil for 100+ guests according to neighbors. There was close to $2000 worth of damage from a $700 booking. I opened a case with Airbnb's resolution center, submitted the invoices and was reimbursed $300 out of the $1000 security deposit. I have been trying to call Airbnb and speak to a supervisor for over a week and cannot get anyone to return my call.

laurab95
5/4/15

I have read positive and negative comments on this site. All I can tell you is that airbnb is for the person who would like to save money and experience something other than a hotel and it also is good for the person renting who has the extra space and can earn some income. It may not perfect, as hotels/motels are not either. But if you are adventurous and want a place for less than you would usually pay for a hotel/motel, then Airbnb is for you. Do Not expect the Ritz Carlton if you are paying a minimal rate. This company is an A in my book.

hl30
4/29/15

geez.. was really considering airbnb for travel to japan. HOWEVER, after reading a few posts, I don't think so. Greyhound bus service is seemingly the same thing..NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, and I do not want that type of service EVERY again. thank you anyway.

jamesr123
4/27/15

Enjoy talking to walls? Need to write a letter but never send it? Airbnb is the place for you! No one will ever respond to your requests for a place to stay. So vent, talk to yourself, make threats, whatever! Hell, no one will ever read it but you!

tessal
4/26/15

Dealing with airbnb customer service is absolutely pointless, either their emails do not go to anyone or they simply have no systems in place for dealing with customer/payment issues. Airbnb think I owe money for a booking that was never taken up, I do not owe any money and have emailed them over 25 times explaining the situation. They continue to send me emails saying asking me to authorise them to take money from my paypal account. Even when it appears an actual person has responded to my complaints/explanations, they do not appear to understand and keep sending me generic emails. This has been going on for 3 months and they still cannot resolve this. I have had to resort to blocking them from my email to make this stop.

liac2
4/24/15

I'm am host, and i'm getting increasingly frustrated with airbnb - they have constant glitches, particularly in the App, hideous policies, but what;s frustrating the most is - they charge me for for EVERYTHING,even though it's their fault, not mine, and then good luck trying to talk reason with them! They can do any mistakes they want - and you are the one who's paying.
I truly hope that another web site rises and takes their place.

zoraidaq
4/24/15

For the last three years I have been using Airbnb as a guest quite often as my husband and I do travel a lot. Two years ago, while in China Airbnb got my money back after a bad experience with the host and the accommodation. This gave us more confidence in Airbnb. We felt protected.
So far all my reviews have been published, but the last one in Fes ( Morocco) still has not come out. I still gave Airbn top credit as company, but I lowered to three points the Fes accommodation just in relation to amenities. This, due to the low standard of the cooking area and not caring for safety. Otherwise I gave top credit as the apartment was a very well presented and arranged with gusto. The fact that Airbnb has not published my comments made me now think twice, in giving again top credit to Airbnbb.

lisab135
4/21/15

Terrible! I submitted request for booking, they charged my card for entire stay over 90 days before the reservation. Owner contacted me via text for discussion about appropriateness of the rental. I quickly determined it was not going to work then during discussion I get an email saying rental confirmed. I send another text saying NO, I just cancelled. Then I immediately get a receipt that my card was charged. They claim they can only refund 50% on a reservation that should never have been made! Their final decision was to charge me $50 for the inconvenience of a reservation cancelled within 5 minutes that never should have been made in the first place. Forget poor business practices, this company lacks common decency!

Tip for consumers: Do not use this service is there is any remote chance you might change your mind.

anthonyc63
4/20/15

The worst part about this company is their disastrous website which is totally disorganized and barely functional. Not to mention customer service which is downright rude and belligerent. Useless company.

anneg23
4/20/15

FIRST: DO NOT STAY WITH DE LONTA IN LOS ANGELES!! HIS BOOKING IS LISTED AS "PRIVATE ROOM, SAFE, COMFORTABLE IN HOLLYWOOD" I booked his flat for a night, not only did he give me a FAKE ADDRESS, he simply stopped communicating with me the day of the booking. I tried for 8 hours to reach him and to get AirBnB to straighten out this problem. Now he is STILL LISTING HIS FLAT. AirBnB says that they "are working with him". How is that the right thing to do? I don't think someone who gives a false address and then disappears should be allowed to continue to profit from AirBnB business, do you? How many other travelers will have the same problem I did?
SECOND: AirBnB should have a plan in place to make sure their hosts are reliable, and honest and "safe"! All I got was a refund and they think I should be happy about that. My trip was completely ruined. Too bad, it's a great idea but not backed up by a very good business plan.

charliew25
4/16/15

New to Airbnbn - seemed like a good idea, created a profile, uploaded some pics, gained a couple of reservations for the summer - some nice conversations with the potential guests - then, whammo. "Virtual ID" - online verification process. Profile frozen, guests' money already taken from their credit cards - and nearly a week with no response from the company. Well, I've got a great place to rent, I'll advertise elsewhere, and Airbnbn just lost a customer.

chaimf1
4/13/15

Airbnb gives you a unique experience to travel around theb globe for cheap getting a great feel for each city you stay in by staying in a very different atmosphere than a hotel. I give it 5 stars!

adelel3
4/13/15

I have booked a beautiful appartment on airbnb using their host for a appartment in amsterdam! Little did I no that the host needed a bank transfer of £550 to pay, of corse I paid this thinking this is how it's done on air Bnb as air Bnb had not clearly put on website that you actually pay them who then pays the host! It turns out now that as soon I paid this amount all contact was lost and the advertisement of the appartment was taken down off the website and now I am out of pocket for this amount of money! This's my hen do and it's caused so much upset and distress. I cannot afford to lose is much right before my wedding. I worry also that air Bnb do not. Heck these people out to see if the host is the real deal! So this person could con a lot of people including myself! I have contacted air Bnb three times but no response!!! EVEN MORE ANGRY! I do not recommend this company what so ever!

khimi
4/11/15

Travellers going to Singapore, don't Regina and Ryan's place. I cancelled the reservation 3 months before arrival date and they refuse to refund € 541. Airbnb was also not very helpful in mediation.

16 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Has anybody that rented their space through Airbnb an advice/experience to share?
I am looking to rent rooms in my home and I am not sure if it is a good idea
11/27/12
Answer
reneej4
A: I have been hosting through AirBnB for 4 years. At the beginning I had no problems. Website worked, guests were lovely. Then this last few months the problems began mainly with their awful website. It doesn't work well, guests were having problems booking and finally stayed in hotels (we lost almost $1,000 income this last month alone because three guests were so frustrated with the website); the calendar didn't work; the payments wouldn't go through; the guest payments went through twice and couldn't be returned for a week; there was no telephone number on the website, I finally found 415-800-5959; customer service tried to solve the problem but it was still an issue the day after when I lost another guest; details between AirBnB and PayPal must match in every way otherwise payments will not go through; I am still waiting 7 days later for verification. I check reviews of potential guests and try to do a background check if they are staying a long time. As far as township rules and tax reporting requirements are concerned, it's up to you whether you do it secretly, or within the law. Just add enough on the price to cover it.
In summary, all the problems have been with the website not working
and subsequent poor follow up by their customer service department.
As a long-time marketing person I can definitely say that if the website doesn't work efficiently, then the product is poor and their reputation will be damaged.
Renee Jones
6/1/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: Have any homeowners reported tenants for illegally renting an apartment that was under lease (No subleasing) in NYC? Where was is reported (BBB or AG or other?)? I contacted Airbnb and they refuse to do anything, make ridiculous requests how information is sent, and they do not enforce their Terms of Services. Shouldn't they get proof that a person has the right to rent that property (a license and written permission if they do not own the property)? I am a small property owner (I live in the building) and it's high risk for someone to do this to my property, my tenants, and my family. (FYI we are evicting but I worry about future issues with other tenants in this sharing economy)
1/11/15
Answer
cheriw1
A: HOSTS BEWARE! AIRBNB'S DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS!

LEGAL PROBLEMS: AIrbnb has been banned in many cities. Hosts have been sued by the city, and fined thousands of dollars for hosting airbnb guests. Neighbors and communities are protesting airbnb hosting.

GUEST PROBLEMS: Airbnb hosts have had their homes totally trashed by guests, property damaged, stolen, requiring police intervention and legal action.

INSURANCE PROBLEMS: Airbnb's "$1,000,000 host guarantee is a scam!" Airbnb runs hosts through hurdles, only to deny, greatly reduce, or ignore the claims in the end.

HOSTS USED, ABUSED & KICKED TO THE CURB: If a host exercises their right & files claims against guests security deposits due to damage, theft or violations of rules, they are kicked to the curb with no warning. Their listing(s) are deactivated and all bookings cancelled.

COLLATERAL DAMAGE TO GUESTS: When a host is kicked to the curb, so are their guests. Airbnb lies to the guests, telling them it was the host who cancelled their bookings, when in fact, both host and guests are victimized by airbnb.

AIRBNB'S GREED: Airbnb collects a fee from both ends, the host and the guest.
If a booking is cancelled, the only one guaranteed 100% payment is airbnb.

SELLING YOUR SOUL TO THE DEVIL: For a little bit of money, hosts sacrifice their home, their privacy, their time, their freedom, their lives, and their pocketbook, only to be kicked to the curb by airbnb after they have used and abused you, and replace you with new unsuspecting hosts that airbnb pulls into their web of deceit.
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

13 Photos for Airbnb