US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

nolaa

If you have a problem, Airbnb customer service is almost nonexistent. (in 83 reviews)

kayv5

First, as a host I have spent countless hours answering questions from potential guests who DO NOT read the listings. (in 243 reviews)

tn1

Your credit card isn't charged until after the fact. (in 41 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

annona1
2/4/16

AirBnb is an unreasonable company who refuses to deal with issues regarding the accomodation that they advertise. The place that my son stayed at which was advertised on their website was immaculate in photos however when my son arrived there were broken bed side tables, dirty linen, dirty carpets and limited amount of dishes etc.. I contacted the woman in charge of the house and airbnb to discuss the matter... No one got back to me. Now I'm getting spam emails from the company! I've told them to take me off their emailing just 5 times now and still it continues. No one listens, you don't have a voice.

path72
2/2/16

Did my first on line booking with Airbnb and it will be my last!! Not familiar with the system and having looked at several locations, I clicked on the wrong location and it was IMMEDIATELY caught. The host was gracious but Airbnb can't even be contacted to discuss a full refund.... Their alleged 3% fee was an actual $25 fee on a $76 reserve. . . Ridiculous. I can see if I made the mistake and didn't catch it for some time but this has no logic at all.

roberts368
2/1/16

I was locked out of my account for an unknown reason. Then, when I went to reset my password, I was told to contact the company. When I contacted them, they asked for my Pay Pal account and credit card information. I have never given that information out and now all of a sudden they wanted me to cough it up. Something sounds very very dishonest in their pursuits. I reluctantly gave them my Pay Pal account information and told them that I was minus (which was true). Then, on February 1, 2016, a CSR by the name of Arielle said I was banned for life and my account forever locked out. This was a result of my trying to get into my account...how is that for customer service.

Nasty customer service who I think are very shady and dishonest! Don't bother giving them your business! There are plethora of other reputable companies on the internet that you can go for sources of vacations.

By the way, feel free to file a complaint against this company with the BBB, FTC, District Attorney's Office, and anyone else you can find! Here is their contact information:

Airbnb, Inc.
CEO: Brian Chesky
888 Brannan St., 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 728-0000

katerinag2
2/1/16

It seems that the calendar is not up to date on the rentals. Each request for booking takes 24-48 hours to approve. In the meantime, other places with good prices are getting booked up while i am waiting for the approval. I applied for 2 places that got declined. I lost 2 days of my time. It's good that i still have time before my trip, but what if i had shorter timelines? So i went to Booking.com instead and booked a hotel which was half the price and much much better quality and location than some of the places i have seen on AirBnB.... Why choose AirBnB if i can get much better service from booking.com? Not swayed...

sonnyr6
2/1/16

So I just signed up with Airbnb. Requested a condo. No reply, so request got cancelled. I figured maybe the host just didnt have time to reply within the 24hrs. So I requested the same condo again. Luckily, they accepted the second time. Few days later, I received an email and a txt message stating the condo wasn't available for the dates I wanted anymore. I logged onto the Airbnb site and noticed I didnt have any notifications stating it was not available. So I messaged the host through Airbnb and they claimed that the cancellation was false and the request is still valid on their end. The host didn't have any reviews s I had nothing to fall back on. I wanted to speak to an Airbnb representative but its almost impossible to find a number to contact them. The site needs to make it easier to reach help instead of going through all these obstacles. We'll see how it goes when the day comes to check in. All this seems so sketchy for me since its my first time.

lindseyg20
1/29/16

Highly disappointed with Airbnb's services. I tried requesting 7 different houses for my vacation. They have either 48 or 24 hours to respond. every single one declined me for flaky reason. It took over a week for someone to accept my booking request. Once this happen a week later the host canceled my reservations. All Airbnb did was give me $100 credit and when you try to talk to there customer service, it's nearly impossible. Did I mention they take your total cost for your place you choose directly out of your bank account within a day, but when you ask for it to be refunded it takes 5 - 6 business days. Now I have to wait for a couple thousand dollars to come bank into my bank account before I can look for another place elsewhere. Airbnb completely wasted my time and energy. I will stick with vrbo in the future. I've never had problems with their service.

paints
1/25/16

I registered with Airbnb when I had an enormous apartment with many extra rooms. I offered my entire fantastically located studio in Seattle for a very low price, wanting to beat out the massive competition.

I later quit due to unbelievable abuse of female hosts by Airbnb.

I was expected to host 100% of the people they sent me, primarily males who had no last name, no picture, no verified ID and no phone number. Let's talk rape and theft. I protested and finally they started to make all people looking for a place, to post a picture, full name and verified ID. I used my current passport to verify myself as a host.

One group of "guests" stole my expensive cell phone which I had left in the studio. Sad.
Another thing that happens is "piggybacking.." A single male would register for the studio, then I would hear two people in the studio (I was in another room in the same building) and two people in the bathroom, etc. Because I charged more for each additional guest because of the utilities I had to pay in the studio (water, etc.) this was a blatant ripoff. The original guest does the initial meet & greet then later let's in their girlfriend, etc.

The worst was when a ripoff couple invited at least 6 other people to stay for free, so I had 8 people in my studio and 8 people using my shower. Getting paid for one. When I confronted them and demanded being paid for 8 guests, they called the police! Who showed up and screamed at me! These parasites know what they are doing.

Single males would expect sex!

And Airbnb rates hosts on how many times they host whatever low lifes they send. This does NOT happen to males, it happens to female hosts.

Another couple showed up to sell illegal drugs out of my home (happens all the time, dealers don't want to use their own homes to sell drugs out of, so they use female host's homes to do it). They travel into Seattle to make drug sales. Airbnb did not care, as long as they get the money. So dangerous armed drug dealers in your home.

Then Airbnb reduces the "rating" of the female host, if she refuses or kicks out drug dealers!
They do not screen people looking to stay, and they offer ZERO protection for female hosts. None. If you are attacked they still expect you to host.

I wrote the three MALE owners of Airbnb to protest this abusive drug and sex trafficing site. No response, they are millionaires and why would they care if you are raped or completely ripped off.

Airbnb is a rape culture and drug dealing facilitating site. It needs to be shut down.

dianal35
1/25/16

When I first became a host for Airbnb I like to service I like the fact that I could decline any guest I did not feel comfortable with .
Over the years their policies have changed so much that now if I decline too many inquiries even though they are people who are clearly not bothering to read the description rules and policies of my property they punish me for it by reducing my standings or even a listing my bed and breakfast altogether .
Their customer service consists of the reiterating our policies and telling me why they cannot change them .
I had had much better experiences with Home Away and flip key , as well as a VRBO
The only thing that Airbnb seems to worry about at this point in their business is making lots of money from everyone no matter what even if the guest cancels or if I have to cancel in any circumstances they always keep their share of the money for the reservation Airbnb never refunds their service fee to the guest!!!
If I have to cancel an inquiry because clearly the guest will not be happy in my place since they did not read the description Airbnb penalizes me and refuses to cancel the guest themselves all they are looking for is there money
I honestly feel that they do not care about me as a host.
Oh and by the way I have received a super host designation from Airbnb I own a legitimate licensed bed-and-breakfast and I go out of my way to make sure that all of my guests have a superior experience here at my property , that said I would encourage everyone to try to book on VRBO or trip advisor's flip key first use Airbnb as a last resort

denisep34

I booked an apartment in Dallas Texas
Great area had three great reviews (which I now realize you want apartment to have over 50 reviews before considering) the apartment was a smelly bachelor pad with dirty sheets and one black towel for the bathroom. Not happy that over $300 was kept by air b n b and they were not concerned about it. I notified them within 30 minutes of leaving the apartment when I called kyle(the host) he said well I thought apartment was cleaned
Lesson to all make sure place has many reviews if you are to even consider booking with this company

dianer52
1/23/16

If there were an option for no stars, I'd have chosen that. Worst experience with accommodations I have ever had. The person (billing himself as Tony&Eli) that advertised the place, completely misrepresented the apartment. From the pictures I received from my daughter it seems as though it's not even the same apartment that was advertised. I was paying the rent there for a month so she could have enough time to find a place of her own, near to where she wants to go to school.
After driving all night from Georgia (and the night before from Virginia) my daughter arrived there only to have to pack up and go stay with family. It was filthy and moldy. She took pictures and sent them to me and took them to my mother as well. Unfortunately she can't stay with family for long as she has a pet and my mother is allergic.
The next day he offered to put her in another apartment but I advised her not to trust that person, to have no more contact with him and to see if the family could help her find something else as she is just moving to Florida to go to school there. Instead of the person just letting it go, he refuses to refund the money and I've had to take it up with my credit card. It seems as if he has more than one place and probably is using the same pictures for all the ones he rents. Even though I tried to contact Tony&Eli by both my personal and work email, and sent him all the pictures of the apartment, he did not reply. Instead he kept trying to contact my daughter and convince her that she should move into some different apartment he had and to call a member of his family since he lives overseas currently. I did not want him harassing her as she's only 18 and hasn't had to deal with this sort of thing before.
AirBnb has been no help at all and is considering it a cancellation.Unfortunately, they also went through my daughter and did not contact me. Even though the airbnb person is in California and can only see the pictures on line they think that just because the owner offers some other place that should be ok with the renter. I don't see why a customer should have to continue to do business with someone that has bait and switch tactics and would pawn off such a place on some kid.
I will never use airbnb again and I advise anyone who does to, if possible, check out the place in person and don't rely on airbnb to help if something goes wrong. I would especially not send anyone that is inexperienced to possibly have to handle a situation such as this. They will be better off going to an Extended Stay America or Homewood Suites where the management is accountable.
If anyone is interested in more details or seeing the pictures I am more than happy to share them. Just PM me.
Their response was the following:

John, Nov 18, 19:19:
Hello,
I did get your pictures and a majority of it looks like it can be scrubbed clean. I want to go through all the pictures you sent and the concerns.
I am not sure how the door frame can be fixed, it doesn't look broken but old and repainted. A lot of building and homes in Miami are older but it isn't broken.
The broken tile can be fixed and is something I can request the host have fixed while you are there if you stay. The A/C filter can be cleaned out but I agree is gross.
The floor wall boards can be wiped and the floor better swept. Can you please send me a picture of a bug if possible and a closer picture of the tile mold.
I can't tell if it is tile grout or if it is mold on the tile, either way I agree it does need to me scrubbed and mopped.
The cabinets can be bleached but look like they have water damage from years of dishes being put away and not all the way dry.
Last is the bathtub, it looks like an old tub and similar to mine. Since my building is from the 1980s the tub will get old an impossible to get all the soap scum.
It is something that can be scrubbed but not perfectly, possible cleaned with comet powder or bleached also to get rid of some stains and soap scum.
Overall I don't thank anything is bad enough for an immediate cancellation and I also need a picture to consider a vermin issue.
I appreciate your patience and hope you get a good sleep tonight, I am sorry for this issue but want to make sure I make the best decision.

Apparently scamming college kids is a business practice according to some other reviews I've read. Why anyone would be forced to live in this situation, or continue to have to do business with someone that scammed them in the first place is beyond me. Especially, when the apartment was about $1650 a month plus a pet fee of a $150. Now they are simply ignoring the problem. I have made a complaint with BBB we'll see if that helps

charlesw70
1/22/16

I attempted to book a room through Airbnb and everything in the booking procedure went well until I was asked to verify my ID. I had to write a description of myself and supply a photo online. Then I had to do a 10 second video even though Airbnb provided no instruction as to how to transmit said video to them. When I tried to ask for help with this, I got no response to my email and ultimately my booking was cancelled. From now on, I will use HomeAway or VRBO rather than subject myself to the time consuming and difficult procedures that Airbnb requires to simply rent a room.

kristiana1
1/21/16

We were told that the house would sleep 6, that ended up being 2 small bedrooms, one room had a horrible futon, not a bed. The other room a double bed with the oldest mattresses ever.. all was over 10 years old. The place for 2 other people which were 2 single was a futon which was horrible about 20 year old sofa that turns into a bed which was 4 foot long. not comfortable very thin mattress topper. The other option was a 4 foot couch. I slept on the floor. I'm 6 foot tall the other was a 9 year old boy who could sleep on it. The whole experience for me was aweful. My family hated it, it ended up being the worst experience of my life. I will never use this site ever ever ever ever again.

Tip for consumers: Make sure you actually view the place before you pay, don't trust the photos at all and make sure their are real beds and actually the number of bathrooms advertised, we were told 2 bathrooms, one had no shower or tub only a toilet....for 6 people very painful and no hot water after 3 people use it.

bettyf10
1/21/16

I have just spent at least 30 minutes trying to book an airbnb. I have used this site before, but this time there are added steps which make it cumbersome and inefficient in my opinion. I understand the need for security, but the length to which airbnb has gone re verification is ridiculous. I will not be using this site again until the process is simplified, particularly for past customers!

lorid27
1/20/16

I would like to post my total dissatisfaction with AirBnB! I booked a condo today for a price of $3279 for Jan 1 to Mar 1 2017. The email confirmation indicated my reservation was submitted for approval by the owner. Now the owner contacts me to say the price listed was incorrect. The monthly rental was now almost double the original quote I was given by email. Very deceptive! I will not recommend this site to anyone!

kimc99
1/19/16

Airbnb "Verification process" to PAY to rent a home includes submitting a photo, entering all usual ID info, including birthdate, verifying your phone number by entering a number they text you, then submitting a front & back photo of your driver's license. I thought this was a bit much, but okay I did it. After entering the former information I was asked to submit my complete credit card info, okay, time to pay, I entered this thinking that I must be done. NO-- next is a screen stating the need for access to either my Facebook or Gmail account AND allowing them to use all of my contacts. After much effort I was able to find a way to communicate with someone at Airb&b, thinking there must be mistake, anyone can see that this is unreasonable. Nope, without either of the latter, I can't rent from them. I am amazed that a company do this. They can only do this if we let them, will you join me in not allowing this by taking your business elsewhere?

garyw63
1/18/16

Did you know when you look at prices in foreign currencies and you go to book, all fees stay the same but the 'service fee' that airbnb charges increase. For example, I booked a room in Japan for a week and the first price was 1900 yen but when I clicked 'confirm booking' the price instantly jumped up to 3507 yen... Total fraud!!!

And get this, the room I rented wasn't even located in the place mentioned. The address was 3 kilometers away!!!

Beware!

Tip for consumers: Many of the hosts advertise elsewhere, I recommend using details written in the profiles and do a search. A lot of the time you can book direct and pay NO fees!!

miket113
1/17/16

My exoerience with hosts has been great, but the Help Centre is terrible. I called about a refund that hadn't been received and the consultant firstly tried to get me to contact the host for an additional refund. I then explained the refund has been processed already but not received. I then got placed on hold for an extended period then was asked to write down the figures so I understand. When I again explained the cancellation refund already processed has not been received the consultant kept talking over the top of me, raised their voice until they wished me a good day and hung up. It was awful and made me feel like I had done something wrong, which I hadn't. awful exoerience and terrible service.

michaelm365
1/16/16

Here's my airbnb horror story. For a year I used airbnb for almost all my lodgings, more than 30 nights total. I was very satisfied with every host and accommodation, with a few minor issues that always got resolved between me and the hosts. Everybody happy.

So I had 5 upcoming reservations with airbnb, and a week or so before the first one, I get an email from airbnb that I need to be "verified" or my reservations would be cancelled. I'm an old dude (64) and don't do facebook, which is apparently the preferred verification method, but I followed the instructions for verification by webcam photo of my driver's license, and the airbnb screen said it had worked, so I forgot about it.

Four days before my first reservation, I checked my airbnb account and ALL my trips had been cancelled!! I called airbnb after I googled their phone number (it was nowhere to be found on the airbnb website). The call center guy said he could see the problem but he would have to call special forces to fix it, then assured me it would be done within 24 hours and everything fixed. Three days later, after 3 more calls and 3 more call center flunkies with the same script, I gave up and told the last one to just let the cancellations stand. I ate the plane tickets.

I still have not heard a word from airbnb. No courtesy calls, no courtesy. Zilch. I would frankly recommend to anyone considering using airbnb that it may look like a good deal, but you get less than you paid for, and just pray there's no trouble because customer service is an insult and a sham.

jasonj49
1/14/16

I chatted an Airbnb rep to find out why guests could not reserve my listing after I canceled on a guest for that particular weekend. (I now know, of course, that is your punishment for canceling.) My issue was that I put my ad live but forgot to set certain dates (Mardi Gras weekend; I am in New Orleans) at higher rates. Almost instantly, someone booked the Friday and Saturday of Mardi Gras at the regular rate. So basically, I was a brand new user and made a mistake and was hoping Airbnb would at least allow me to list the place for Mardi Gras weekend, to that same user at the correct rate, or to someone else.

The conversation was pretty brief, but she did take the opportunity to lecture me on business ethics:

Kat: Airbnb has a policy of only wanting people who are serious about keeping reservations to agree. We cannot bend the rules just to make money. Are you still with me?

Me: Yes I'm just trying to figure out how they hired such an unfriendly person to be a customer service agent.

Kat: I'm friendly enough sir, you just don't like the answer.

Kat: We cannot waive the penalties in this case because the pricing was not what you wanted. It's not fair to the guests you cancelled on.

Not fair to the guests....what about not fair to me? It's fricken Mardi Gras weekend! If I had accidentally priced my place at $1.00 when I meant to price it at $100.00, would it be "not fair" for the guest not to get the place for $1.00? It's called making a mistake, a**holes!

Thanks for listening.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE AIRBNB !!! USE VRBO, HOMEAWAY, FLIPKEY, CRAIGSLIST, WHATEVER. AIRBNB IS THE WORST OF THE WORST.

clarem44
1/14/16

The fact that Airbnb allows renters in illegal israeli settlements is definitely immoral, and possibly in violation of international law. I will not be using their services as long as they run those listings.

pate29
1/11/16

Airbnb wanted detailed information about me in order to book a room, including pictures of the front and back of my photo liscence, credit card info, links to Facebook and American Express to verify my identity. Give a short story about myself, create a symbol, and as if that wasn't enough, make a video. They would not accept my info and kept notifying me to finish the verification process. They offered to help me through it, but didn't get back to me and the reservation was cancelled. I have an excellent credit rating and I think this is total BS!

vanessah20
1/11/16

Air bnb take the money from the guest and keep it for about 1 to 2 weeks after your guest has booked in. I find this unacceptable, airbnb is taking the commissions and then still holding onto the money for up to 3 to 6 months, if a guest books way in advance, now i have had 5 lots of guest come and go, and i have not had a payout from air bnb yet.

How do we as hosts and guest know what the owners of airbnb are doing with our money, are they using it to play the stock market, having grand holidays with our money, and living the highlife until they overspend and go broke, i am not very trusting of this set up anymore, and they don't say anywhere what they do with this money?

Then when i wanted to contact airbnb to ask why they have not paid me out, you Try find a contact email to EMAIL THEM DIRECTLY!!! I DARE YOU??? You will NOT FIND ONE!!!

The AIR BNB website is set up to make it extemely difficult to ever contact anyone who works for air bnb. They could close tomorrow and take us all for a bunch of suckers....

What is their game... they are making a fortune, but i hope it is not making the founders greed make them even more greedy and untouchable and not care about the rest.

tamras1
1/7/16

I almost never post nasty reviews on a service unless I am compelled to! So this is one of those times where my review must be completely negative! BEWARE of Airbnb!

The short version: From start to finish, Airbnb’s customer “service” team was extremely unhelpful, impossible to get a hold of, and I never got a consistent answer from their team. The actual service they are providing (home rentals) is a good concept, but if something goes wrong and you actually need to speak with their team, you’re hooped. You will have no luck in getting any sort of help from them at all! Their website is poorly designed, and it took at least five minutes to even find a contact phone number. Want to speak to someone else? Nope, no way to escalate any concern you have. They definitely do NOT want to talk with you or help you; they have taken every measure to avoid that. Even after you call, they want email communication only—but those emails bounce back!! STAY AWAY from Airbnb.

And it’s only appropriate to share that owner/unit information here as well... Haim Kovos, MGM Hotel Signature. He owns several properties that he rents out in the States. Staying at his unit started all this nonsense.

So, the long version: This started back in October and has still not been dealt with due to a number of issues from the side of their customer service team. After a pretty horrid stay in a Las Vegas hotel/condo (lack of cleanliness, ill-equipped room, shady behaviour from the host, even resulting in me leaving three days early), the host offered us a small refund. As the severity of the issue was pretty bad and I had been charged for the entire stay, close to $3000, I called Airbnb’s team, and they said we could escalate it in the Resolution Centre after a period of time. I thought, great, we can get them the info, our requested refund, and they will help us handle this. Wrong! After giving them a very detailed explanation of our concerns about the stay, the only measure Airbnb took was a single email to the host, having told us they had “reached out.” Again, when we followed up, they told us they never heard back from the host, and the issue was “closed due to lack of response.” That was it! The case was “dismissed” and the “decision was final.” How the heck is it my fault that the host didn’t respond, and now I don’t get a refund or at the very least an explanation... or even be able to leave a review about the host of Airbnb!? I was not able to leave a review on the host, as I left three days early, and even though I was charged for all those days, they started the 14-day cutoff for reviews on my day of departure! Great for the host, just ignore it and you don’t have to fix your issues or give a refund when it’s due. Huh?

After a few more bounced emails, calls, and frustration, I got an email from Austin, a Supervisor. So managers do exist!! Since apparently we provided no photos, Airbnb can’t issue a refund. Not sure how I’m supposed to send photos of essential items missing from in the suite that I had to go and purchase. I was NEVER told in the beginning I needed photo evidence. I sent them every possible email and text information I had, did all that I could on my end to at least get a reply from their team other than “sorry, you didn’t send us exactly what we wanted within the stringent time frames we never told you about, and since the host hasn’t gotten back to our one email, we can’t help you anymore”!

The really frustrating part is that there is only ONE email, and ONE phone number where they can be contacted. Yet that email keeps bouncing back our responses, and I have to re-explain every time I call and I get nowhere. What could have been a very simple solution has turned into a giant mess thanks to their extremely poor customer service. Then I go to my “open cases” in the Resolution Centre a few days ago, and it still sits there “open” when they tell me it’s been closed. It’s unbelievably frustrating. No wonder they’re rated 15% on www.sitejabber.com.

So in short, stay away from Airbnb, because if you have a problem, it won’t get resolved.

PS… My daughter spoke to Airbnb after we wrote this review informing them that we were going to share our experience on social media and did they have anything to say, and lo and behold, we were offered a small refund. We are SO done with Airbnb.

joshuas68
1/7/16

Hello. This is Joshua & Natsuko Shaffer. We had an attempted break-in to our AIRBNB last night in Mexico City (1/7/2015)…now AIRBNB is threatening us! Pretty crazy story about AIRBNB’s practices! As documentary film makers, we documented the whole thing as best we could. If you feel this is a story, feel free to share.

Joshua & Natsuko

martinu87
1/4/16

I have signed up my place with AirBB, first clients and since 2 months I'm waiting for my payment. AirBB claims that they made the payment but they didn't gave me any prove and I don't have cent from them in my account!!!

Tip for consumers: Dont use this site

naymag
1/2/16

I had a good experience with Airbnb. My stay was cheap and convenient, but I stayed at a house with zero security and the owner was never home. I kept thinking there could be a fire, a robbery or something worse, and no one would ever know until it's too late. The only line of defense was to basically lock your door. Airbnb needs to work on security guidelines.

* Their customer service was quick and helpful. I had to cancel my first booking and they refunded the money. For my second booking I chose the place with the best ratings.

sharoni4
1/2/16

Just finished reviewing a host yesterday, there are 3 parts to the review, part 1) what you liked most about your stay part2) what you didn't like about your stay part3) what improvements can the host make to raise your satisfaction. All of the part 2 and 3 get deleted from the review and only what you LIKED gets shown leaving dangerous, critical faults hidden for the future guests to decide. they say they pride themselves for transparency and free speech and it is ironic they dismiss the very motto they preach. Every false accusation and statement from the host gets to be shown though and they when you write to them to delete or edit they say it does not violate their review policy and is the 'perceived personal experience of the host' although you have written communication airbnb proof for its falsehood. The host can also change its cancellation and extra fee policy after the booking from easy to strict forcing to loose most to all of your money or just stay! The pictures can be including pool and other amenities and they don't disclose their closure and not having access to fitness room. This is fraudulent business and unethical. Will never book from this site again and will tell all my friends to never do either.

cs123
1/2/16

- You agree your dates, pay your money and think you have it all booked. Oh no you don't !!
- The owner has a virtually-free one way option on you. You make your plans pay your money and you are committed, but he isn't. He can cancel until nearly the last minute. The penalties are pathetic.
- If he still wants you, fine - he gets your money. But if he changes his mind or gets a better offer, you are on the street. Sure you get your money back eventually, but you have nowhere to stay.
- Worse, when you have arranged your time off work, or if he gets another prospect for your dates he can blackmail you for a higher price - or start an auction. That happened to a friend. The guy's excuse was that he made a mistake with the price. Either you pay what he demands or you lose your accommodation. If you have already paid for your flights you are really at his mercy.
- No point complaining to Airbnb. They don't provide that service.
- Stick to proper letting agencies, (preferably ABTA members so your money is safe), and a binding contract. It is no more expensive and you get a proper service.

svetlanat1
12/31/15

Worst site ... was an unpleasant experience to rent an apartment. After that, I leave an honest review, which the administration removed for unknown reasons. The conclusion is do not trust reviews from this site

terit5
12/30/15

Evidently Airbnb hosts can cancel reservations as their whim, even though they take all of the payment up front. Customer service is non existent.

Be careful if you want to have a place to stay when you are travelling

paulg104
12/29/15

They are fraudulent, and you cannot complain on their site or anywhere,my roommate rented out her bedroom every weekend and took over mine and forced me to leave...I called them,they jept letting her rent out a room that she didn't have!! I am considering a lawsuit for fraudulent and unethical business practices. I moved out and away due to this...don't use airbnb.they don't verify any important details..

frankl290
12/28/15

Airbnb does not care if people are renting out an apartment illegally without the landlord's consent. My family rented a place (well below market value) to someone that has rented the apartment over 150 times in the past 4 years. I contacted Airbnb and they did absolutely nothing to rectify the situation. It's really disappointing to see a company with such poor ethics.

alexandrar12
12/27/15

I have rented a two bedroom apartment downtown Prague , Retezova ulice cislo 7/224 from December 5th to December 20th. My sister and I were the only occupants. The stay was pleasant due to diligent care of our contact lady Mrs Zuzana. The apartment was advertised as "luxury", remodeled in 2014. Well the place could have been lovely then ,but now is in desperate need of bathroom remodel. The shower door was out of tracks. In spite of my good technical abilities.The drain was very slow to a point of overflowing. The carpets old and worn out. I did some cleaning before I settled in. Overall a nice stay. But , please take care of this place. Alexandra Reynolds

jp140
12/26/15

i booked a week with "kaspars "in scotland , my first ever air b and b , the reviews were all good , i paid £200 for 7 days , it was cold and there was no hot water or breakfast , but as kaspars was friendly and gave a plug in fire for the room i figured it was ok at £25 a night . however i was unable to sleep those first 2 nights due to a rat / rats scratching about in the cieling and i messaged kaspars who said it wasnt rats that there was a wire being blown about in the attic , ive had rats in my flat before i know what they sound like so i said i was sorry but i needed to move somewhere else .i cancelled and rebooked another room which was fine , heating , hot water , breajfast stuff available , but now i have only recieved £75 back the host kaspars says he has had £75 where s the money gone ? i cant find any customer service and i cant even review kaspars have ended up paying double and lost 2 nights sleep plus a day from having to move rooms , utter crap.

laurie365
12/20/15

The first and last time I booked with airbnb turned out to be an intolerablesituation. Although I explained to the hostess that I work from my laptop all day long and after work, am very much a loner. She would insist upon entering my room while I was working, asking me to leave the door open which I can't because of the confidential nature of my job and kept trying to engage me in unwanted conversation. I took to bringing in food I could keep & eat in my room and dash out the door after work when I could hear she was in a different part of the house. She wouldn't even let me run my little fan at night because she claimed it used a lot of electricity. I got so stressed from being there that I looked for somewhere else to stay so I could have some peace. When I contacted airbnb customer service they let me know I was pretty much stuck...so I left 2 wks early & still had to pay that 2 weeks. I will never again use airbnb nor recommend it to anyone.

maej4
12/20/15

I made a booking for my in laws at Americana in Glendale California with Angela Ama. The booking was made 3 months in advance. Air bnb sent me an email reminding me of my reservation. When I called the host, she cancelled my booking but Airbnb wasn't aware of it. How could that have happened. Very unreliable.

katiew34
12/19/15

I rented a room where the host said he would clean it after he got off work at 6. Check in is at 3, but I didn't feel like I could force him to come back earlier so I planned around his schedule. When I came back around 730 the sheets were dirty and there were dirty towels from the previous guest. The toilet had urine on it and the apartment smelled bad. Airbnb wanted him to come home and remedy the situation instead of reimbursing me. When he was not home by 9 they finally agreed to reimburse me. Which is great, but I had to go back and forth with them for almost an hour and get a supervisor involved. They also agreed to pay up to $150 for my first night in a hotel. So I get a hotel for 2 nights thinking everything will be ok. Then this morning I find the case manager has sent me 2 emails between 9 and midnight stating she needs the receipt and then that she is not paying for the hotel anymore. When I call back i'm told I just have to wait for her to return and they can't give me a timeline. Way to ruin a vacation! I wouldn't have been upset with the dirty room if customer service had responded to the situation quickly and fairly and I was able to put it all behind me but I'm still having to deal with them for who knows how much longer.

ronr41
12/18/15

Just happened to me as well. Absolute rubbish. this dude cancelled mine and everyone else's bookings 2 days before my flight. Because the booking was over super-peak period and for 8 nights, it's been hell trying to find a decently priced accommodation at such short notice. Here is his sob story: "We are very sorry that we have to cancel your reservation as we now have legal problem with the house rent. We were inspected by police for illegal house rent to tourists. Honestly, we have been caught 2 times before for illegal rent to tourists and this morning we were caught for 3rd time.
So, the house is being closed by police now and we cannot accommodate you anymore.
If we rent house, we will be jailed.... hope you may understand our situation.....
We don't know how to say sorry about the cancellation and hope you can quickly find another place for your stay in seoul..... so so sorry......
Regards,
Kate and Jason"

I'm half decided to expose his full details online - but I need to cool down first!
AirBnB had better find some better way for poor users to flag rotten apples and receive feedback.... but this will be my last time on such a rubbish service.

chloek4
12/18/15

My first time booking with AirBnB and it was an amazingly FRUSTRATING experience.

After my host accepted my reservation, she then messaged me saying she had posted the wrong accommodation prices, and asked me to accept the new property price listing. I told her that as she had already accepted my reservation, I would not pay her extra. She then told me to pay her in cash in person. I then contacted AirBnB and told them what had happened, and they said they would assign a case manager. After an initial email, I have had NO replies from the case manager and his last email stated "If your host ends up asking for additional payment at the time of check-in, you can also refer them to the Resolutions Center. The Resolution Center allows you to offer or request money for your Airbnb reservation. By using the Resolution Center, Airbnb is able to verify and process any agreements that you may reach...If your host does not allow you to check in, then please contact us immediately and we can get you a new place to stay. I hope this is helpful."

NO THAT WAS NOT HELPFUL! Do you want me to rock up to the accommodation and then contact Resolution Center if she demands more money from me in person?! Or she doesn't even honour the reservation?!

PLEASE DO NOT BOOK WITH AIRBNB FOR YOUR SANITY!!!!!!!!

tahnyar
12/16/15

Our stay got cancelled one week before the trip. We were left in a major jam. Had booked 2 months back and were staying in the Christmas Holidays and they just cancelled. The host didn't care. Airbnb didn't care. Called them multiple times and no one helped us. And by then everything in the city was doubled. They need to be reported. These big companies don't care about customers and get away with this. Very unethical.

Tahnya

alid32
12/16/15

I GOT SCAMMED BY Airbnb after booking a room with a TURKISH couple in Istanbul and when I arrived in the airport the Turkish host sent me a text that her face blown like a balloon and she is in hospital and phone is dead and some blahs.
it seems like once they got their money they stop responsing or answer my calls. shame my first visit to Turkey and I'm very very disappointed scammers everywhere taxi drivers babershop once you speak English they rise the price

scotts148
12/13/15

It's very annoying to search for properties for specific dates and then go through the process of booking just to find out that the property is not available. Airbnb shouldn't stay a place is available when it isn't. I won't be using them anymore

rajnasv
12/4/15

This about listings where there is no automatic reservation - which a lot of them if not most of them are that way. So applies to most cases.
There are a lot of hosts who do not respond. So you have to wait for a day or two then cancel your request if there is no response and then send a request to another place.
Website allows you to send requests to multiple hosts at once but beware if two accept your reservation you still pay fees if you cancel one. I wish there was a good alternative to airbnb

aeks
12/3/15

Hi yes I just I touch with a girl she's advertising a 3 bedroom in Fulham rd sw6 London for a good prices down then she asking me to pay 2 month worth of rent to Bnb and then I meet up with her to see the property I found that a bit weird so I want to tcheck with you guys for help

alyssal15
12/2/15

Airbnb has the right to withdraw the security funds if a claim for damages is submitted. They don't tell you upfront that this is a negotiation process between you and the renter and the renter has the option to refuse the amount, offer their own amount. If you don't agree to the amount, which there is no incentive for the renter to agree to your claim, you can ask Airbnb to be the decision maker. We did this and were "awarded" an amount 25% less than our claim! Even with receipts and invoice of the cost to repair the damage, we were not rewarded the full amount. Homeowners beware, if you have damage to your place, you WILL NOT be covered for the full amount.

Use Homeaway instead. They have damage insurance you can require renters to buy or hold a security deposit which you can withhold at your discretion, not the renters or the website.

randolphp4
11/30/15

Avoid this website, while they seem to market their stock well, their actual service is horrible. We had a terrible experience in Manhattan and then now in Sydney, they allow the owner to cancel without penalty and then to get my refund of 6 grand USD, they require access to my contact list, which is not available. They are thieves, seriously, NEVER think of using this rip off site, they are just a bunch of liars.

sueg29
11/29/15

We've booked several places with Airbnb as we travel around Australia, some have been good, some bad and some downright ugly. The good speak for themselves....but if you are unlucky enough to turn up to one place like we did which was filthy, then dealing with the host and the customer service can be a nightmare. In our case, the whole apartment was filthy, so much so, we did not want to stay the night. It would have taken an army of cleaners to fix this, but apparently you are supposed to give the host time to do so before you ask for a refund. Our host got particularly snarky and in the end we left it to Airbnb to negotiate a refund for the 3 days we booked. Luckily, we had photos to prove a point. Anyway, we didn't get all of it back but at least some was refunded. As others have said, Airbnb make sure they cancel your booking and then you cannot write a review, warning others. Bad practice.
The second gripe I have with Airbnb is that we chose a place and asked to book for 10 nights. On the advertised page, it stated the night rate was $111 per night and for a week $700. They add on a cleaning fee of $50 plus $119 booking fee. When we were quoted, the price came out much higher than the total we anticipated. We queried this with the owner, who explained it was Airbnb pricing policy and we were charged more because the rates are higher in December. There was no info on the webpage to that effect. She accepted our booking so we were unable to cancel, so we asked why she wouldn't honour the $700 a week fee? She offered $50 by way of resolving the issue. My point being (and I took this up with Airbnb customer service) is that if a price is stated on the page advertising the cost at $700 that should be the price you pay. There is no mention of 'hidden extras'....but apparently according to Airbnb, the host can decide what they will charge and you have to suck it up, or not....but try getting out of a booking! Most other sites are transparent and you can see the daily, weekly or seasonal rate before booking....with Airbnb you cannot. Be warned....this site is not very user friendly. When things are good, then you might enjoy the experience, but on the whole, when things go bad, it can get damn ugly!

crystalr16
11/26/15

What can't I say!! For 2 months our boss rented us this amazing apartment right on the beach!! The landlord Steve and his wife were very accommodating... There were things in the apartment for us to start out with. Soap, cleaning products,etc. the washer and dryer was my only complaint. It was a 2 n 1 and took forever. I used it one time. Didn't work so well! Other than that I loved it. Hopefully my boss will rent it for us again next year!!

georgiah6
11/23/15

As a new -comer to Airbnb I can't believe how very poor (non-existent) their customer service is. The web site is a disaster. I found the hosts full of info and charm until my booking was complete, then I think they moved to Mars. Another issue , I cancelled a two day booking six months in advance, and was assured by the host I would not be charged the cancellation fee - I WAS. Clearly no communication between host and Airbnb. When, after several attempts to get answers from "the team" on other issues I eventually received a reply that had absolutely nothing to do with what I had asked? They claim that you will not be charged until after you check in - NOT SO! Never again. I could go on - but life is too short - and I have to book two months of accommodation in 5 countries - NOT with Airbnb.

ronh65
11/22/15

This was the worst experience for a family vacation I can ever remember. Traveling clear across the country from AZ, arriving in the evening, and finding out the property never received confirmation from the host of our arrival. We had a reservation number, received multiple system generated emails prepping us for the trip and no indication that anything was wrong. Then, when they do finally reach you it was AirBnB doing all the apologizing and back pedaling because of the lack of professionalism of the host. Sorry, but all the good reviews I did see before booking make me feel that they are there because Airbnb put them there. Now that I did the research outside their site I see I am one of so many that have made the mistake of working with this company. To everyone, use VRBO or any other service but this one.

55 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

13 Photos for Airbnb