US Government's NSF

888 Brannan Street
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
Tel: +1.4157280000
terms@airbnb.com

People interested in Airbnb are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kayv5

First, as a host I have spent countless hours answering questions from potential guests who DO NOT read the listings. (in 148 reviews)

nolaa

If you have a problem, Airbnb customer service is almost nonexistent. (in 43 reviews)

tn1

Your credit card isn't charged until after the fact. (in 31 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

ajv2
7/29/15

Airbnb has the worst host customer service I've dealt ever dealt with. My first Airbnb customer arrived 3 hours per our agreement. Forced/begged....even used her kids as an excuse to come in early before the cleaners had even finished. She arrived with 2 small children, 2 nannies, her husband, and herself. I allowed this because I have a soft spot for children and it was my first guest through Airbnb (Plenty of guests through craigslist). I wanted it to go smoothly. What was said to be a quick stop for luggage drop off and diaper changes quickly turned into an hour of the nannies going through every drawer in the house. It took my cleaners twice as long. That night, they still washed every single towel, pillow, sheet, blanket, etc in the house. The washing machine was on for 12 hours consistently. Everything had just been washed in front of them!! When they arrived there weren't even sheets on the beds! Not to mention, they hung every single article to dry on my wooden patio furniture outside. White on wood isn't a good idea right? I wake up the next morning to 80% of the windows completely open with BOTH floor AC units on. When they arrived the day before I went over the house rules verbally, one of which was, "please keep the windows closed when you run the heating/cooling systems as they will become ridiculously expensive". Her response was- "Oh this weather is perfect, we wont be using them often". The icing on the cake came when I found 3 broken crystal glasses in the dumpster and the "dry clean only" back pillows of the gray couch in the picture, washed and turned inside out on my patio furniture!! I then decided I would be nice and instead of making a huge ordeal, simply print out a small list of house rules. "Use Eco friendly on washer, etc". This did not go over so well with her and she passive aggressively cancelled a reservation she had over a month in advanced! Now here's the part that makes Airbnb an awful mediator and pretty much voids any type of protection for the host. When I first set up my account, I went through thoroughly and set everything I wanted, including my cancellation setting. When I received this inquiry (my first), I recognized my cancellation policy was still set to "flexible". Frantic, I emailed the preapproved guest and told her I noticed she could cancel on me within 24 hours. I told her since this is a month in advanced I would definitely like to know if the commitment is mutual or tentative. She agreed through email she was fully committed. Longer story shorter, she sends me a message the morning after I gave her a second set of keys and the house rules list saying her child is having a hard time with the stairs so they are altering their stay. I was sent a message to "accept" or "deny" request of which I hit deny. I had turned down 6 reservations for this time slot which I held for a month. I was sent an override by airbnb with no contact from their office. When I reach out through the help center, I receive an automated response not even pertaining to my issue. When I call I am directed to the Resolution center. This morning, I receive an email rejecting my investigation stating my cancellation policy was set to flexible. NO ONE reads into the threads. I recognized this from speaking with the guy on the phone, which btw good luck finding the number on Airbnb! No one truly investigates. They read the first page and find the quickest response they can that kinda matches, all of which are prewritten and they put their names on them as if they wrote it personally. I've spent more hours reexplaining this situation than I have getting it handled. This is NOT what I signed up for and I hope everyone realizes it can happen to you very easily. I will be sticking to my own lease agreement paperwork and security deposit from now on. It's worked wonders for me through craigslist. It is not worth the extra money Airbnb takes out of my stays to be a mediator when their best interest clearly leans to one side; theirs. Especially when they mention this great insurance policy yet they are telling me they have no power once they resend the money back to the customer.

fionaw10
7/28/15

Must be the worst company out there to deal with. very unhelpful. take your money for your booking in full plus their costs without it showing it properly on their website. When you contact them and try to get a refund oh they will only refund 50% even though you have not taken the holiday. Also they don't even pay the holiday owner until you have been. Luckily we have been in direct contact with the owner now and all is ok but I would never ever ever recommend using Airbnb for anything. They are rubbish

jasonb156
7/28/15

We booked a place in London and the host cancelled on us. Airbnb did give us some compensation towards booking another place, which we duly did.

Low and behold, the new place was cancelled on us by the host, 3 days after he had accepted and we had paid him.

This site is overrun with unreliable, unprofessional host who are dipping their toes in the water for a few extra pounds.

When it suits them, they will accept your booking, when it it doesn't they will cancel your booking and the hosts don't give two hoots about ruining your trip and plans.

I have spent a total of 6 hours on the phone dealing with this nightmare. In the end I called a hotel that was cheaper and took me 5 minutes to book, GO FIGURE!!

TAKE MY ADVICE, STICK TO PROFESSIONAL RELIABLE HOTELS AS YOU HAVE ALWAYS DONE AND SAVE YOURSELF THE AGGRAVATION AND RISK.

I would sooner sleep stood up in a field than go anywhere near this idea ever again.

cheryld22
7/27/15

We rented a condo last week in Oceanside, CA and the listing/ad said sleeps 4, Air Conditioned, quiet place; well when we got there the first night about 10pm we opened the door and it was about 92 degrees in the condo, humid and we could not find any air conditioning thermostat. So we opened the windows and found out there were train tracks right below the windows and balcony, the went by every 20 minutes blowing the whistle and you could not sleep it stopped at 2am and started back again at 5am!!!! Then we found out the place only slept 2 really, the couch was hard as a rock and did not pull out like the ad state (sofa bed). We tried to cancel and they charged us half of what we paid! We had to get of this hot hell whole! So we got ripped off excessively! DO NOT USE AIRBNB!!!!!

rickw34
7/26/15

Absolutely AWFUL experience. I booked two condos for a family trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. BOTH condos were canceled by the owners, one about three months prior to our stay and another ONE WEEK PRIOR to our stay. I had to book other arrangements at nearly double the cost due to having to book so late! Not only that, there is no way to leave a negative review on an owner if they cancel your reservation so who knows how often this stuff is happening! To top it all off, it's nearly impossible to actually SPEAK to anyone at AirBNB about complaints or issues. I called their number and was on eternal hold. DO NOT USE THIS SITE!

anthonyo10
7/26/15

i use airbnb to let my house and i have used other letting agents also but i think airbnb is by far the best their web site is very easy to navigate and they also make it easy for the host to complete a transaction ,the communication process is also excellent and both the host and guest are kept well informed and i also think that airbnb treats both the guest and the hoast equally.keep up the good workairbnb

raineb
7/24/15

Airbnb works for some folks, but god forbid you have any problems setting up a rental.. Techincal glitches are met with friendly telephone agents who assure you the problem is solved ( if you can even find their number!! You have to google search it. Not offered on theor web site). But you quickly learn it has not been solved...and round and round you will go with these people. It is maddening. The right hand doesnt knoe what the left hand is doing at airbnb. Very sloppy.

dmitryi1
7/24/15

I booked an apartment in NYC for 21 day. Upon arrival I found that the place was dirty and in not livable condition. I canceled my reservation immediately even though I didn't have a place to go. Later on Airbnb refunded only 42% and stated that the rest of the amount is completely up to host. It was obvious that the host didn't want to refund. End of story. I lost money, had to find a place to stay and had no help from Airbnb at all. I wish I would read more reviews here before booked the apartment. Booking through Airbnb gives you a good chance to lose your money and ruin your vacation.

alexandraj10
7/23/15

UPDATE: One week passed and I never received a response/update from Airbnb or from the host. I received the refund I was seeking only after I disputed the charge on AMEX and they got in touch with Airbnb. Original post below:

I'm contesting a "cleaning fee" and an "extra charge per person" fee. The apartment wasn't clean and we didn't stay (I accidentally booked a shared not a private) so I'm only contesting the two charges previously listed. Airbnb encourages you to try and work it out with the renter. I'm not getting anywhere with him. Now I've seen that my credit card has been billed the full amount. I'm not feeling confident that Airbnb is going to get back to me. Especially after reading all of these reviews. I don't think that this is worth booking with Airbnb. If something goes wrong, you're screwed!!

heathern13
7/22/15

I booked an apartment through Airbnb. The host was lovely and I have nothing bad to say about them at all. The problem is with airbnb. Their service fees are ridiculous. and as a Canadian going to a Canadian place I was charged in American dollars which made the cost of my rental ridiculous. Airbnb customer service did not know why I was charged in this currency and could do nothing to help me. I do not recommend this service.

lucilleg
7/22/15

I rented an apartment in June, 2015 in West Hollywood, Los Angeles, California through
Airbnb. The host cancelled 48 hours before I was to occupy. The host tried to move me to another apartment which I found out is against company policy. Airbnb's solution? A refund and then a 10% discount if I would rent another apartment. A whole whopping $110. The apartments offered were not comparable to what I had rented. I believe Airbnb should have found me a place equal to or better than I had rented and eaten any additional cost. Instead, they left 3 women, 3000 miles from home stranded. After the fact, customer service contacted me and wanted to know how they could do a better job! Really???

ritav4
7/21/15

As a host, airbnb did not stand behind their own terms and conditions. When I hosted clients and they broke and did damage to my house, Airbnb encouraged me to communicate directly with the client, which I did. The client wrote horrible reviews about me, and my community, and Airbnb did absolutely nothing to control this belligerent client, nor recover some of the security deposit for me. I have discontinued hosting through airbnb, and encourage others to be very very careful, as when things are good, thats all great, but if something goes wrong, your on your own, plus you've paid for their services!!

marcusd27
7/21/15

This is the worst service ever. I have had the worst experience with AirBnB. They really need to vet your hosts. I just arrived from Montreal to Brooklyn to find the house I was to stay in had a broken window and glass all along the patio. The host notified me by e-mail as I was driving down, but I was already en route. Hard to cancel and find other accommodations at this point. However, that's what I did when I arrived to the sketchy neighbourhood and a broken window with easy access. My 6 yo was terrified at the prospect of staying there. Air BnB's policy? Work it out with the host. The host's response "Not My Problem" and "No refund". Air BnB's policy allows you to be sent in to unsafe conditions, ripped off by a host and if you cancel the reservation you can't even write a review to warn others. This is Bad for your brand Air BnB. At the very least allow us to write a review if we've had this kind of experience.

taliahj
7/20/15

I tried to book a miami room. Airbnb advertised the host would contact in 24 hours. Not only did it take more than 24 hours the host NEVER contacted me. So airbnb sends me an email saying we see the host didn't get back to u and offers me other similar host to try. I tried one of the offered host and that host declined. Why wouldn't airbnb check with offered host for availability instead of offering another unreliable host? Yes it sux hotels cost more but at least hotels are reliable. Airbnb is a shot in the dark.

igall
7/20/15

My gf was tricked into a listing in a high crime neighborhood. The owners defended themselves by saying, "Our listing says 'for seasoned travelers' but we understand if you don't want to stay." Which = travelers willing to deal with being solicited for sex, drug addicts, local dug dens, etc. The owners know this and thus have a 'strict' cancellation policy, ensuring that those who realized they've been conned can do nothing about getting their money back.

Customer service is a joke; the female 'supervisor' told my gf that "she understands but will not issue a refund." Since when does a woman in a position of authority not empathize with a female customer who feels in physical danger???

I'm sure there are good people out there, but new life experiences and meeting people are not worth going with this company that may leave you in the ghetto of your vacation city with no money back and no cares in the world if you live or die...

irmelyi
7/19/15

I booked an appartment in LA. It was cancelled 1 month before the travelling date. I booked another room (more expensive, of course, nothing 'cheap' was left!). It was cancelled less than 1 week before the travel!!!
This shows that airbnb does not carefully checks their hosts. Airbnb has a nice webpage, cashes in on quite a nice fee, withdraws the money right away from your credit card... and then delivers nothing but cancellations!!
I think it is telling that airbnb does not give me (or anyone else) the opportunity to comment on hosts who have cancelled reservations... in other words, there is no way for me to check whether a potential new host is 'reliable' or also prone to short-term cancellations.
STAY AWAY!! There are other platforms that are MUCH more reliable!!!

cv32
7/19/15

I reserved a house only to discover beforehand that the host had not been honest about the property. When I pointed this out and tried to cancel. this host became beligerant and over the next 10 or so messages, her insults escalated. When I involved airbnb resolutions in the dispute. I initially had my doubts. But ultimately they took a loss and refunded me. Have to be impressed by this customer service I so often do not receive.

janer30
7/15/15

I found a room that looked good to me, emailed the owner asking to reserve the room, and got back from airbnb a form with a very complicated and difficult sign-in process with many steps to it. In the middle of a trip, I wasn't able to complete the application, kept emailing for help, and kept getting form responses which were not helpful.

I eventually had to give up - no more time to spend trying to deal with them. I cancelled my application, but the next day I got an email saying they had already charged my credit card! And this is before they even accepted my application. Unbelievable! They wouldn't complete the reservation for me but still charged me for it.

They did eventually refund the money, but I would never try them again. Traveling with my dog, I now stay in Motel 6. They're not fancy, but clean, dependable, and you can make a reservation on the road with their staff - actual people who are helpful. And they all accept dogs! Takes the stress out of a road trip!

vanesas1
7/14/15

Note: I booked my 1st stay for this September so this is a review based on customer service from AIRBNB and the host.

I was referred to AIRBNB from a friend. She sent me her referral link but for some reason an error kept popping up. I wasn't able to received the $25 credit but booked anyways. I contacted the host prior to booking, double checking if we could check-in early, how far the apt. was from our desired attraction, etc. The host got back to me within in a day, answered all my questions and pre-approved me!

I sent a email to their customer service contact explaining the situation with the referral credit. Brad was kind enough to make sure myself and my friend received $25 off our next booking.

After booking and processing the payment, I checked my banking account to make sure it had gone through. The next day I notice my account had $300 more than the previous date. I sent another reply to Brad asking if this was common or if I should contact my bank, etc since I had funds in my account. Brad was kind enough to call me and we talked saying it went thru on their end and to call my bank to make sure they didn't think it was a fraudulent charge, etc.

I called AIRBNB today again just to double-check when they were going to process my payment. I notice there was a small concern about the "security deposit" since I didn't see it before booking but Courtney ensured me it wasn't like a hotel security deposit where they place another hold on your credit card, etc. She also told me my payment would be processed at check-in in September.

Usually when it comes to booking at hotels, details are very loose. With AIRBNB all my questions were answered and I never felt like I was rushed! Every email I received from Brad was very professional and I even noticed Courtney sent me a message after out phone conversation just in case I had anymore concerns, questions, etc. I even referred a co-worker to AIRBNB today because they are just SO amazing!

Thank you!!

elainef10
7/12/15

BUYER BEWARE! HOST WOULD NOT RETURN MONEY AFTER CANCELLATION. NO HELP FROM AIRBNB CUSTOMER SERVICE.

md102
7/10/15

I just had the worst experience with this site trying to book a room in New Orleans for the Jazz fest - the proprietor offering the room was extremely rude and condescending when I tried to book the room at the price he had listed on the site. Apparently, he charges more during Jazz Fest. ...which is fine. I would have paid more had he asked, but he didn't - his response was rude, unprofessional, condescending, and called into question my motives and character (seriously) and I would highly advise anyone who is considering using the site to consider that the B & B's listed apparently have no standards to meet as regards professionalism, business practices or anything else. I've stayed at B & B's all over the world and have had the owners inform me that the price is higher at certain times of the year before- that's to be expected, it's okay, and it's part of the booking process - but this response was just beyond the pale obnoxious, rude behavior. Air BnB should be professionally embarrassed to be promoting such a place. I can only imagine the nightmare of staying at this individual's home. yikes! Beware. I cancelled my account immediately.

lilyl25
7/9/15

As a landlord, I just found out my tenant was using his apartment illegally for AirBnB. He is now being evicted.
I was planning on evicting him before this because his behavior has been literally insane since I rented to him towards the end of 2013.
After what I've found out about him, I cringe to think of anyone staying with him especially since he lists his studio as "family friendly". OMG.
All of you who are considering this do not know the backgrounds of these people and you're taking a great risk with your safety.

ellenp3
7/8/15

Do not use this service. Its horrible. They misrepresent their properties and there is no way to get refund or change if your unhappy with the service. Not a trustworthy or honest organization. We travel frequently and have had no issues. We made the mistake of using this service - will never do so again.

nancys80
7/8/15

Book through Airbnb if you don't mind having your reservation (for the international trip you booked 7 months prior) cancelled unilaterally by the host 3 weeks before your arrival. An Airbnb customer rep will respond to your concerns with the utmost respect by kindly reminding you that they are "just the middle man who takes your money."

At the very least, avoid this host (Frederic C): https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/2438594

Pay the extra money and stay at a hotel- at least a hotel won't cancel your reservation at the last minute, leaving you scrambling to find a place to stay. Our apartment was $345/night- now the only apartments available in the area where we planned to stay are $500+/night.

katys9
7/2/15

Earlier this month I was taken in by a scammer on the website of Airbnb. I found a property in Greece in early June and started querying it with the owner through Airbnb. Having never used Airbnb before I arranged the dates with the owner and emailed back and forth a few times. Somehow he got direct access to my email. Then I received an email different from the one I had used with the owner which looked like an Airbnb email address. The email included an invoice which had the Airbnb logo, dates, confirmation number, photo of the villa, what was available at the villa, including the summary of costs and any extras like a cleaner and then bank details for a bank with an Airbnb account name. The whole thing was very professional and looked like a bonafide invoice. The money was paid and when I tried to confirm something, the supposed owner stopped replying. By this stage the villa had been taken off the Airbnb website and it became clear that it was a scam as soon as we informed Airbnb. This has obviously happened more than once and Airbnb when contacted did nothing. They are very difficult to get hold of and didn't reply to most of my emails. They don't want to take any responsibility at all and there is no compensation as I had not followed their terms and conditions. Why do they not have warnings up of their procedures as you go? I have of course learnt a valuable lesson but I have also lost my graduation holiday in addition to losing Euro1,900 and airline tickets. I tried for 10 days to get a response from Airbnb and they don't seem to care that there is a sophisticated fraudster using their site to scam their customers. They even had the temerity to say when we finally got a reply that they are sorry about our experience and I quote 'we hope you'll go on to have many positive experiences on Airbnb in the future.’ Seriously, why would I ever use this company again?
As Airbnb would not help I went to the bank to try and get the funds back this way. The bank eventually got through to the bank in Spain who told us that the Airbnb account we used had now been closed. The scammers obviously know what they are doing and Airbnb don’t care that they have people on their site stealing from their potential customers.

drmf
6/29/15

I recently had my trip cancelled, TWO DAYS BEFORE the trip. To add insult to injury, I was offered either a refund, or that if I re-booked with Airbnb, they would credit me up to $75 if the new host charged more- all this with TWO days notice.

When I contacted the host directly, she said it was due to an Airbnb error in double-booking some of the days of my stay- and since they paid a slightly higher price, my reservation was the one chosen to be cancelled.

I coudn't find anything decent on AirCrapNB, so I ended up paying nearly $1,000 more to book a hotel with 2 days notice.

Absolutely LOATH aircrapnb, and please think CAREFULLY before using, either as a customer (you WILL be screwed) or as a host (they are concerned SOLELY with maximizing THEIR income, and not concerned AT ALL with your finances OR reputation).

DO NOT USE!!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE- IT is a RIP-OFF. They can absolutely destroy your vacation-

lus35
6/25/15

I registered with AirBnB on June 23. I agonized over their over intrusive verification process and submitted the last four digits of my social security number. Late that night, a credit card fraud was committed on my card. My bank contacted me and cancelled the card. I emailed AirBnB and they sent me an auto reply. I responded to that email and nothing from them yet. No thanks --I will pull my profile off.

sunnyt4
6/24/15

So, my review of the so-called "accommodation" which was a bed outside, yes outside, in the back yard covered patio lit with only white xmas lights and open to the rest of the house, with 4 roommates. Yes, 4 and me made 5 to share the small bathroom. I could go on but -- ridiculous. Takes a lot of digging to find "help" and then Airbandb took 4 days to send me and email that they hoped I got their email. Uh, no. There is no immediate feedback, phone number much less refund. The "host" who was not present by the way, never got back to me. What a crock! Where's my review? Does not appear. Had to find a hotel which took a while and of course cost more. I'm out of there AirBandB should be AirBandBS.

bobb723
6/23/15

I 'requested' my long weekend stay with a host I had previously spoken too, sadly they had forgotten to amend the times that their B&B would be available and the dates I chose were not up for grabs. Therefore, even if your request is denied Air B&B IMMEDIATELY take your money and 'HOLD' it for up to 7 days (I'm on day 6 and the money is not in my bank). They claim that they 'release' the money immediately when this happens and that it is up to the bank to get the funds back to you. Sorry, but I contacted my bank and no. It has nothing to do with the bank returning the money, it's because Air B&B TOOK money without even providing any service. So I am without the use of my £200+ now. Please be aware of this happening to you before booking and if possible contact the hosts privately before booking through the website. Certainly not worth the hassle. If you do not receive any service you should not have to pay a thing ... or have your money 'on hold' for ANY length of time.

davidg161
6/23/15

Here's a video of a bedbug in an airbnb rental in June 2015:
Warning: Yuck alert.
Airbnb help found alternative lodging for the night but left me stranded in New York with nowhere to stay for a week. Bed bugs, it turns out, are very common at airbnb rentals due to high guest turnover and lack of professional cleaning.

peacep
6/21/15

I just had my first bad experience when my host canceled a reservation I booked months ago for a place near the beach the week of 4th of July. Just be aware that when this happens to you, you only get the exact amount you paid back as a refund. They will give you a credit of 10% of what you paid toward another AirBnB location IF you can find another place on AirBnB, but maybe your experience would be like mine, where 2 weeks before the 4th of July, the only (one!) other place available in the area is 4x the price of what I rented. Even the hotel room I was able to find is more than 2x the price.
It does not make a difference whether the cancellation policy is strict or flexible, that policy only applies to guests, not the host. They have assured me that the host did have some serious personal reason for having to take her place down, and it's not just because she wanted to stay in a great place on the beach that week.
I'm not going to trash AirBnB because I've had a few successful stays with great hosts and places that turned out to be exactly what was described. Also, their customer service is good. When this type of thing happens, it's a bit lame that you can't talk to someone by phone, but the email back and forth has been prompt and informative, and they kindly gave me a coupon toward a future rental in the next year since the 10% credit policy wouldn't apply.

cedrika
6/16/15

From the friendly greeting by Raymond, the property manager, the welcome basket with fresh coffee, tea, sunscreen and tequila to the quality bedding and towels, these were all ingredients essential to making our stay a memorable one...for all the right reasons!

rhondap7
6/13/15

First and last time! I will never use airbnb again. We were scammed with an apartment we thought we were renting in New York. It was extremely dirty and not as described. Airbnb does not appear to screen their host homes. Our host accused me of lying and taking photos of the room after we dirtied it ourselves. Airbnb worked with me as I tried to get a full refund but in the end they got the final say and only gave us part of our money back. It cost us over $400.00 to stay one night in a tiny room with only room for three and we rented for four. Two of us had to sleep on the floor as the bunk bed was not safe to sleep under nor was it accessible as it was so close to the wall. We could have stayed in a nice hotel for that price. There were many inconveniences including key issues which ended up keeping us locked out of our room and having to walk to an off site place to sort it out. We contacted Airbnb with full details of our experience and photos and still were sadly ripped off. I'm sure there are great hosts and those are what get the great reviews but renters beware because Airbnb does not have strict or hgh standards regarding who can host.

pattyl13
6/12/15

This place must write their own reviews. This is the worst place to arrange a stay in Quito. They come on as though they are there to provide a great place - but that ends once you arrive. If there is a problem - they ignore you or won't get back to you. Much better places to stay than here - a total ripoff and Air BNB - as usual - doesn't care enough to resolve issues.

pamelam32
6/11/15

Really pleased with the flat it was clean and had everything you wanted location was excellent for us and will definitely be booking again thank you dan for all your help and always communicating with us look forward to seeing you November pam and ray swansea

maurag
6/10/15

I am new to Airbnb and I made a mistake which could have cost me a lot of money. Carl in Saratoga Springs, NY who has a WALK TO SPAC listings responded quickly and was extremely helpful and non-judgemental. I have read numerous horror stories about Airbnb but any company that attracts the like of Carl cannot be all bad. He restored my faith in both the company and the process. Going forward I look forward to the day I can report back that Carl's hospitality matches his efficiency and decency.

rajeshr5
6/10/15

[EDITED : ]
I would like to reply to this thread. It was issue with specific person dealing with my case at that time. My issue was resolved by another manager assigned to my case, who dealt with it very diligently and helped me through resolving all issues. He reassured my trust back in AirBnB. Thank you very much

ISSUE Before:

I booked an apartment in London and found various issues with cleaning. So i decided to call AirBnB and give them feedback and ask for suggestions, this is how they handled my situation :

1) I was told at the starting of the call that cooker is being used by me as she can see in pictures that it is hot - She wasnt even looking at right pictures. She was looking at "Siemens touch stove" rather than cooker - which she didnt want to agree to me and was telling me that if its not clean then its because i have used it. Then without listening, she said lets move to next point.

2) Mentioning for more "general amenities" for 10 days is not to be called as an issue - on which i explained that i have clearly mentioned that in my original email -"Doesnt really matter but SERIOUSLY?"

3) She said she can get the cleaner and that's all she can help with.

4) I asked if she is ok with my family staying in apartment where flush doesn't work for next 10 days- This didnt sound an real issue to her. I would like to know ANY person who would have paid 1700 for 10 days and you let people aged 60 live in apartment where flush doest work for more than 24 hours, to answer how good they feel about this?! - But as per tone of agent at AirBnB this wasnt something to be concerned about. - At the end of that "argument" - she mentioned she will let host look into it.

5) She kept mentioning, i cant get refund and stuff. To which i replied i dint ask for refund at first place when i called first time about issues to AirBnB. I was told if issues that i mentioned are there, that means i am not happy and i should look for another apartment in same range and can get refund. - So, i clarified that i was told by AirBnB and it wasn't me asking for refund.

6) On point of kitchen shelve being broken, i was told, this doesnt seem to be an issue - I WOULD like to let you know, my family is stayin in that apartment that i booked through AirBnB for 10 days, i dont think i would like them to stay in apartment that has broken shelves where glasses can be crushed because of upper shelve falling off because off no hook.

I tried explaining agent at AirBnB that what she is in video is after i have put a hook in the hole to let shelve take support of hook myself, otherwise when my parents opened the cupboard, it was diagonally aligned on glass cups - but again, she was reluctant to accept that this is even an issue.

--- In my defense -
a. if I would have been paying small amount, i will expect these things but not when i am paying way more. I COULD have easily booked AMAZING HOTEL rather than booking apartment through AirBnB and would have costed me less.

b. I would consider this also as a fact that i have seen this on first day and shelves are in this shape, i dont want to wait until something falls apart and injure my parents.

7) On point of utensils not being clean and stained - after resending pictures of what i was talking about ( Point number 1 mentioned) - I was told, well, base of utensil is clean but may be not top part so its ok. not a big deal. I would like AirBnB agents to be more careful and sensitive to what they are saying and talking to customers. Agent basically asked me to go ahead and cooked in half dirty stained utensil because according to her its fine. Seriously?

Overall, i am very unahppy with booking, host and top of it, AIRBnB. I have been staying in apartments my friends book through AirBnB from last 1.5 years, across the world. After this experience, this is last time i have booked through AirBnB and wont book through AirBnB again.

mmkm
6/9/15

It was my first time and will be last.. I had the worst experience I ever encountered. We saved up for the yearly vacation to Miami and booked a home to rent out. They took our money and gave us the wrong address. 2k was gone!! I was so devastated. I called the Airbnb and they did nothing.

wenkaic
6/8/15

I had bad experience through airbnb rental places' owners. I wasted my time in finding a place which can host us. The problem is with Airbnb, it doesn't enforce the acceptance of the place owners. The service through it is just not reliable. I would rather pay traditional hotel routes which don't reject me as long as I have $.

judyr13
6/7/15

@bocacafebakery ( Twitter ) amazing service , fresh original french croissants, espresso... Tried several items and always delicious . Highly recommend it.

dannid1
6/7/15

I rented tonight at $127 per night. By the time the cleaning fees and service charges okay. My bill was $514. They advertise as a full house but when I got there it was a low end hotel. my advice is that you use Google earth to verify the property you were looking to rent.

geraldh25
6/6/15

6-6-2015- Postmortem - this airbnb is a poorly run money grabbin unresponsive website. If you aren’t uber tech savvy don’t bother, this site is run by people behind the electrons with no interest in being accountable or responsive. You book & you don’t know it, you contact them and they can’t be called or emailed, they give you the biz & runaround by being unapproachable. Verifying who you are without any ability to respond or ask questions is unacceptable to me, maybe not others….approach this airbnb.com web site at your own risk ! !

bryang22
6/6/15

Airbnb is actively allowing scammers to be verified on their website showing properties for rental! I have lost £1,044 due to this and Airbnb have not help recuperate these funds whatsoever! When speaking with Airbnb they have said it is not their fault that scammers are on their website and actively scamming people. If Airbnb are not doing anything to police their own site how can anyone be safe? This company is unwilling to take any responsibility nor perform reviews to prevent this from happening.

When looking at a property photos were advertised showing the property and stating to email first to get a quicker response on their profile and photos. During the sign up process I no pop ups were ever seen waring you of these dangers, though Instant Book was! everything was their to part with your money not protect it!

Working in Fraud and Payments I am one which can spot these scammers a mile off though if I can be scammed it shows how easily anyone else can!

After contacting the Fraud Team and Police they have advised that this is aiding money laundering!

Airbnb when will you listen and actually protect your customers?????

jong46
6/6/15

I booked a one night stay in a one bedroom apartment in Sacramento and had to cancel because two guests that we're going to split the cost of the apartment were unable to attend. So I cancelled. I paid $142 for the entire night and once I cancelled I only recived $35 back (this all happened within a 10 minute window when I submitted my payment and suddenly had to cancel) the rest of the $107 went to the Host, and Airbnb took $15. I contacted the host asking what to do to get the rest of my money back and she "acted" like she didn't know what I could do so I called customer service and they told me all of that money goes to her! I was furious because once I informed her that I was aware that she pocketed MY $92 her answer was "since I booked the place it went off the site when other users could have been looking to stay" which I understand but then she agrees to give me half, $46. So I gladly accept. She alerts me that she submitted the $46 dollars but to this day I have not received it! I was open and honest with her about the situation and kindly explained to her money is very important to me since I am a college student and am only working part time. I'm not saying everyone out there is like this but first impressions are the most important! I will NEVER use this site again and believe I will spread the word to family and friends to not go near this site!

You are all better off getting a hotel! At least you can get your FULL refund back!

jl85
6/4/15

If you're in the LA area, do not rent from Erick R. through Airbnb!!! (1383 Hauser Blvd Appartment 8 Los Angeles, CA 90019) I should have known from the beginning it was not going to be a good trip because the host was unresponsive until I contacted Airbnb and let them know he had not reached out with check in instructions.

I don't need much but expect the place to be clean. It was not. I came in from a red eye and was hoping to get some shut eye before a packed trip. My trip was only 5 days but each day was filled so I really did not have time to spare. First off, the parking is gated but off a busy street, meaning you have to stop traffic, open the gate, run back into your car, and park. When I first parked, the creepy neighbor downstairs peeked one eye out from behind the curtain to see who was in their lot. That's cool. I'm not easily scared.

When I got upstairs, there were hairs everywhere when I lifted the sheets. Hairs of all sorts included pubic hairs!!! When I texted the host, he said there were replacement sheets in the closet. I unfolded the supposedly clean sheets and there was a huge brown stain in the corner with a few splattered spots.

Furthermore, outside noise was extremely loud. I could hear their neighbors walking around in their homes, using the bathrooms, talking on the phones.

First, I tried cancelling online. The host said he could not honor my request because he was losing money. I got on the phone with Airbnb and told the situation. I told them I already went ahead and made reservations with a hotel bc I could not waste more time with surprises. I explained this to the host as well and expressed my intense disappointment.

Anyways, I get home to review the listing to find that I wasn't allowed to because I had canceled it! What a scam! The Airbnb rep said next time I should read the reviews (which I did). So, that makes me think... what about all those people that arrived, hated it, and canceled because they found pubs in their sheet too?! I would never know because they weren't allowed to review.

DO NOT USE AIRBNB! No traveler protection whatsoever. They tried to take the remaining 50% of the nights I canceled!!!

Tip for consumers: Read the cancellation policies. Unless the host has FLEXIBLE status selected, expect to lose 50% to 100% of your money if you hate the place!!! Unlike hotels, if your unit is gross, you have no options!!!

nadiab5
6/3/15

I had a 2 months reservation for Romania, the host seemed friendly and understanding, and everything was going great and shiny. Just until the moment I had to cancel my trip, because just 1 week before the flight my passport got stolen.

To be honest, when I filed for refund and applied for extenuating circumstances, I didn't expect much. Just "hey, it can't do any harm, right?" attitude.

You can imagine my surprise, when one of the support team guys contacted me and went through length to get all the details of the situation and give me the best deal possible!

As a result, I had a partial refund AND a voucher for the next trip. But, most importantly, Taylor was incredibly HUMAN in understanding the situation and her actual support.

You could feel that you are not talking to some automated response human machine on the other side of the globe. That's what was really precious.

Thank you, guys, I will definitely travel with you again!

chrish146
6/2/15

Airbnb allows its owners to offer a price and date and then state they are not available. Then the upsale occurs when you are offered another unit for 1/3 more than what was offered. Of course you wasted 24 hours almost and then feel pressured to get a room as the hotels rates start to close in. They will suffer with adoption if they do not correct this issue.

phils38
5/31/15

a most complicated site,,dont even know how to accept bookings,IF I will get paid, no way to contact airbnb..most frustrating..will stick to good old gumtree..easy/cash in hand/ free to use

katiew22
5/30/15

This was my first time using airbnb and I will never use it again and never recommend it to anyone! I had a long term reservation (originally supposed to be 5 months) but experienced problem after problem.
1) My reservation was a long term and during it I occasionally traveled to other cities in the country for a few days, but would leave the majority of my stuff at the place I was staying in, thinking it would be safe. While I was gone, my host had put up a second listing of the apartment (which was two bedrooms, mine and hers) and rented out MY room to other travelers. She packed up all my stuff and would rent the room out to other people when I wasn't there. I only found out because I came back early one time, all my stuff was still packed up (taken out of the closet and shoved into my suitcase) and someone had forgot their slippers in my room.
2) I contacted airbnb about how I could move out without the cancellation policy being enforced, and they told me to just put in a request to alter the reservation and then I wouldn't be stuck paying the 30 day fee for not giving notice. Later that month I was charged $400 from airbnb and they told me it was because my host enforced her cancellation policy and they couldn't refund me the money even though they gave me misleading information.
Basically, airbnb gave me wrong information and I was penalized for it. They scam you out of your money!!! And to top it off I was living with a crazy person for almost 3 months!!
Never use airbnb!

reneej4
5/27/15

I am so upset. We put our house back on AirBnB because we enjoyed the nice people we met. Over the last two weeks we have lost three customers because the website, especially the payment system wouldn't work effectively (it could have been four customers but one had the sense to contact me privately). I spent an hour on on the phone this morning with their Customer Service (the number BTW is not on their website and I had to google it) and they said that they had fixed the problem. The CSR - who was extremely polite - said it was some sort of incompatibility between the e-mail I have on AirBnB and the e-mail on PayPal. He also said that he would send out an e-mail to my potential customers stating that it was AirBnB's fault not mine. Well the problem was not fixed and we lost another customer who got so frazzled she decided to stay in a hotel.

This is unforgivable. I did a lot of work and shopping to get the place ready for the guests and I am out of pocket by about $1,000.

Beware if you host or use AirBnB services.

Renee Jones

18 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Has anybody that rented their space through Airbnb an advice/experience to share?
I am looking to rent rooms in my home and I am not sure if it is a good idea
11/27/12
Answer
susanm86
A: There is nothing IN THEORY that prevents negative reviews being posted on Airbnb. Guest and host both have 14 days after a ‘completed stay’ to post a review about each other – neither of which are published until the 14 days have elapsed. The host and guest apparently don’t get to see each other’s review before they are published. This is supposedly to prevent ‘retaliation reviews’ where guest/host sees a negative public review about them and posts an equally negative and possibly untrue review in retaliation.

However, I have to agree with others that there is a suspiciously lopsided balance of reviews on the site – go and search for yourself in any location, eg Barcelona, Moscow, Sydney, London etc, with no filters applied, and try really hard to find a property with an overall ‘star rating’ (an amalgamated Airbnb score based on all reviews for that property) of 1, 2 , 3 or even 4 stars out of 5. The VAST majority of overall star ratings are 5 stars out of five, a few are 4.5 stars out of 5. This just doesn’t ring true. As someone said on a TripAdvisor forum, “common sense and experience dictates that you can’t please all of the people all of the time – Airbnb ratings seem to suggest the opposite.” I agree, they do.

I don’t necessarily believe the positive reviews are fake or anything, just that it seems highly unlikely in such a huge online marketplace that there could be SO few negative reviews if the system was GENUINELY open and transparent. So I do concur with the theory that Airbnb somehow manages to block a large number of negative reviews. I don’t know whether that’s by Airbnb asserting its stated right to remove certain reviews, or because really bad properties - the kind where you turn up and immediately know you can’t stay there because they’re so awful – never get reviewed because if a guest leaves before 24 hours has elapsed it’s counted as a ‘cancellation’ and they are not allowed to post a review under Airbnb Terms and Conditions.

Anyways, it all points to the fact that you need to do your research thoroughly and be appropriately wary when considering booking with Airbnb. Read all the Airbnb terms and conditions, check the host’s cancellation policy carefully, communicate with the host personally via the ‘Contact Host’ button on the listing BEFORE you fork out any money, etc…. generally just be a savvy consumer and don’t get too swept up in the trendy Airbnb PR message of the ‘sharing economy’. Treat Airbnb like any other rental advertisement site and apply the usual caveats and precautions. And take reviews with a healthy pinch of salt, just like you would with reviews on TripAdvisor, Amazon or any other popular ecommerce site.
1 week ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: Have any homeowners reported tenants for illegally renting an apartment that was under lease (No subleasing) in NYC? Where was is reported (BBB or AG or other?)? I contacted Airbnb and they refuse to do anything, make ridiculous requests how information is sent, and they do not enforce their Terms of Services. Shouldn't they get proof that a person has the right to rent that property (a license and written permission if they do not own the property)? I am a small property owner (I live in the building) and it's high risk for someone to do this to my property, my tenants, and my family. (FYI we are evicting but I worry about future issues with other tenants in this sharing economy)
1/11/15
Answer
lucilleg
A: This is the root of my problem with AIRBNB. They do not check to see if a host can legitimately rent the place they are advertising. In my experience, the host cancelled 48 hours before, claimed she was going to be evicted if she rented to me. I was only 3000 miles from home. AIRBNB offered me a 10% discount to rebook another place. I did not and will not use them again.
1 week ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

13 Photos for Airbnb