US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kayv5

First, as a host I have spent countless hours answering questions from potential guests who DO NOT read the listings. (in 115 reviews)

nolaa

If you have a problem, Airbnb customer service is almost nonexistent. (in 34 reviews)

tn1

Your credit card isn't charged until after the fact. (in 25 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

jamesr123
4/27/15

Enjoy talking to walls? Need to write a letter but never send it? Airbnb is the place for you! No one will ever respond to your requests for a place to stay. So vent, talk to yourself, make threats, whatever! Hell, no one will ever read it but you!

tessal
4/26/15

Dealing with airbnb customer service is absolutely pointless, either their emails do not go to anyone or they simply have no systems in place for dealing with customer/payment issues. Airbnb think I owe money for a booking that was never taken up, I do not owe any money and have emailed them over 25 times explaining the situation. They continue to send me emails saying asking me to authorise them to take money from my paypal account. Even when it appears an actual person has responded to my complaints/explanations, they do not appear to understand and keep sending me generic emails. This has been going on for 3 months and they still cannot resolve this. I have had to resort to blocking them from my email to make this stop.

liac2
4/24/15

I'm am host, and i'm getting increasingly frustrated with airbnb - they have constant glitches, particularly in the App, hideous policies, but what;s frustrating the most is - they charge me for for EVERYTHING,even though it's their fault, not mine, and then good luck trying to talk reason with them! They can do any mistakes they want - and you are the one who's paying.
I truly hope that another web site rises and takes their place.

zoraidaq
4/24/15

For the last three years I have been using Airbnb as a guest quite often as my husband and I do travel a lot. Two years ago, while in China Airbnb got my money back after a bad experience with the host and the accommodation. This gave us more confidence in Airbnb. We felt protected.
So far all my reviews have been published, but the last one in Fes ( Morocco) still has not come out. I still gave Airbn top credit as company, but I lowered to three points the Fes accommodation just in relation to amenities. This, due to the low standard of the cooking area and not caring for safety. Otherwise I gave top credit as the apartment was a very well presented and arranged with gusto. The fact that Airbnb has not published my comments made me now think twice, in giving again top credit to Airbnbb.

lisab135
4/21/15

Terrible! I submitted request for booking, they charged my card for entire stay over 90 days before the reservation. Owner contacted me via text for discussion about appropriateness of the rental. I quickly determined it was not going to work then during discussion I get an email saying rental confirmed. I send another text saying NO, I just cancelled. Then I immediately get a receipt that my card was charged. They claim they can only refund 50% on a reservation that should never have been made! Their final decision was to charge me $50 for the inconvenience of a reservation cancelled within 5 minutes that never should have been made in the first place. Forget poor business practices, this company lacks common decency!

Tip for consumers: Do not use this service is there is any remote chance you might change your mind.

anthonyc63
4/20/15

The worst part about this company is their disastrous website which is totally disorganized and barely functional. Not to mention customer service which is downright rude and belligerent. Useless company.

anneg23
4/20/15

FIRST: DO NOT STAY WITH DE LONTA IN LOS ANGELES!! HIS BOOKING IS LISTED AS "PRIVATE ROOM, SAFE, COMFORTABLE IN HOLLYWOOD" I booked his flat for a night, not only did he give me a FAKE ADDRESS, he simply stopped communicating with me the day of the booking. I tried for 8 hours to reach him and to get AirBnB to straighten out this problem. Now he is STILL LISTING HIS FLAT. AirBnB says that they "are working with him". How is that the right thing to do? I don't think someone who gives a false address and then disappears should be allowed to continue to profit from AirBnB business, do you? How many other travelers will have the same problem I did?
SECOND: AirBnB should have a plan in place to make sure their hosts are reliable, and honest and "safe"! All I got was a refund and they think I should be happy about that. My trip was completely ruined. Too bad, it's a great idea but not backed up by a very good business plan.

charliew25
4/16/15

New to Airbnbn - seemed like a good idea, created a profile, uploaded some pics, gained a couple of reservations for the summer - some nice conversations with the potential guests - then, whammo. "Virtual ID" - online verification process. Profile frozen, guests' money already taken from their credit cards - and nearly a week with no response from the company. Well, I've got a great place to rent, I'll advertise elsewhere, and Airbnbn just lost a customer.

chaimf1
4/13/15

Airbnb gives you a unique experience to travel around theb globe for cheap getting a great feel for each city you stay in by staying in a very different atmosphere than a hotel. I give it 5 stars!

adelel3
4/13/15

I have booked a beautiful appartment on airbnb using their host for a appartment in amsterdam! Little did I no that the host needed a bank transfer of £550 to pay, of corse I paid this thinking this is how it's done on air Bnb as air Bnb had not clearly put on website that you actually pay them who then pays the host! It turns out now that as soon I paid this amount all contact was lost and the advertisement of the appartment was taken down off the website and now I am out of pocket for this amount of money! This's my hen do and it's caused so much upset and distress. I cannot afford to lose is much right before my wedding. I worry also that air Bnb do not. Heck these people out to see if the host is the real deal! So this person could con a lot of people including myself! I have contacted air Bnb three times but no response!!! EVEN MORE ANGRY! I do not recommend this company what so ever!

khimi
4/11/15

Travellers going to Singapore, don't Regina and Ryan's place. I cancelled the reservation 3 months before arrival date and they refuse to refund € 541. Airbnb was also not very helpful in mediation.

williamg58
4/10/15

My wife submitted this review to Trip Advisor. The owner has since canceled the ad. It's now on airbn. Beware! Beware! Unsafe dangerous s--- hole!

Pro: Kathya (cook and house) 2 thumbs up!
Cons:rules signs everywhere, 3 rooms w/tiny AC, 2 rooms no AC, no cots, filthy broken plastic furniture, USB finally after 2 days, broken antique tv, no satellite or cable, insects inside, 2 spoons, no microwave, no seats on toilets, when sitting on main bathroom toilet a person has to put feet over shower parapet, 6 towels for everyone, tiny stereo, kitchen stove does not work properly(Kathya had to cook some food on the grill, because the stove would not burn hot enough). trash all over yard, These amenities are items the owner was grasping at straws trying to improve the ad: private fishing lake/river (no), ocean views, waterfront, water views Duh, the house is a oceanfront house. All of the of above items were inconsequential in our decision to leave after only 2 1/2 days into 8 day booking. When we arrived the pool looks like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks. Ezequiel(pool boy and garden) told us that there was a broken pipe. The next morning he ran the pump all day and the water cleared somewhat. He never cleaned the filter or the bottom or sides of the pool. The next day he didn't clean or run the pump. The pool water was never clear and the sides and bottom were slimy. Our party consisted of 12 adults and 4 little kids. All of the kids and some adults spent a lot time in the pool. One is suffering an ear infection.. While eating dinner the second night the owner's dog was chased away from the table by my husband. The dog left. After dinner we were sitting around the table and the dog returned. He received several pats on the back and my brother even removed several ticks from him because he was loaded with them. My husband whistled at him and he came to him. My husband petted him then the dog growled and nipped at him. He then left. The next day the dog was running around and no problem. After lunch one three year old boy who was standing still by the table was bit by the dog with no provocation. The boy's father and my husband went after the dog. In the meantime Ezequiel (who told us the dog was his) stayed in his house instead of getting his dog. My husband caught the dog and was bitten several times before the dog was hopefully dispatched by him. The owner of the property and the dog was only concerned about receiving money for losing the dog. The boy will possibly have trauma for the rest of his life. My husband is undergoing rabies shots and awaiting surgery on his hand. There are many great vacation rentals in El Salvador stay away from this one.

maxc26
4/7/15

We stayed at an apartment in Hong Kong bet March 17-21 2015 thru Airbnb listings at USD120/night. 26 reviews rated it nearly 5 stars. The place smell mildewy, A/C drips on your head in bed, front door has a gap, electrical outlets dangerously falling out, TV snow flaked, WiFi NEVER worked with 4 Apple devices including iPhone 6plus, 6, and iPad Air. Sheet, blanket, and pillow mildewy. It was the worse nightmare. Do not use Airbnb. Come review time, the owner and renter have to agree upon before posted. Now I know why a 5starvrated. Reviewed by Dr. C., USA

kayh28
4/7/15

It's stunning to me that nobody has mentioned the legal liability and criminal danger using a sharing site such as AirBnB. You will never Know who your guests will invite to your home when you are not there. Showing photos of your child's bedroom and the entire house room by room places your family in incredible danger from strangers. And, how about the lack of respect for your neighbors.

hannahb17
4/3/15

I can not recommend to use air bnb if you are planning a nice and relaxing holiday. Me and my boyfriend recently booked an appartement through air bnb, traveled all the way to the destination, just to get a message from the host that she is very sorry but she can not let us in the appartement, the landlord had exchanged the locks on the door and she could not get in. Okay, not cool but can happen. So we called Air bnb, convinced that they would sort us out with something else. Nope! We spent over half (!) of our day on the phone with air bnb to sort out a place where we could sleep that night. After a lot of hesitation, she finally agreed to book us a hotel room but when she sent us the details, we realized it was 45 minutes out of the city where we were staying. Great! Anyway...no choice, we drove and stayed there for one night. The next day she had sorted us out another appartement, so we were happy and thought our holiday could finally begin. Nope! We got to the appartement and the host was there to give us the keys. She said she would leave in a few hours and we could have the flat from 3 PM onwards, she would take all her belongings with her. Sounded good and when we came back at 4 PM to "move" in she was gone. Unfortunately she did not clean up anything and the flat was quite dirty. Also she did not have a douvet and proper pillows, all in all it was very strange and not enjoyable at all. I understand that she was probably just trying to help out but air bnb you should do better. I was very disappointed by how the situation was handeld by air bnb and it made our holidays not really enjoyable and relaxing! They paid for the night in the hotel and this new apartment but we did not get any money from our previous payment back. They gave us a voucher over 160 $ for our next air bnb stay, though I don't think I will ever use this service again. If you are looking for a place for your holidays and you are looking for a relaxing holiday, don't go with air bnb!

inessaf
4/1/15

I've used Airbnb 4 times, with 2 out-of-the-country and 2 domestic rentals. Overall, my experience with Airbnb has been disappointing. After looking at great property photos and reading multiple glowing guest reviews, I have found inaccurate representations of properties, problematic communications with hosts, incorrect rental information, stained bedsheets, and filthy apartments. My first and only less-than-positive rental review was not published as the host did not review me in time. My most recent experience included an apartment which hadn't been cleaned prior to our arrival due to a cleaning service mix-up; the host didn't respond until the next day. In the meantime, my husband and I did laundry and dishes and cleaned for nearly an hour after half a day of traveling. Airbnb refunded us the $60 cleaning fee, and thus resolved the issue.
I do not feel the Airbnb provides consistent, high-quality service. I feel duped after several Airbnb interactions, and do not plan to recommend or employ Airbnb services in the future.

js144
3/23/15

Recently went on airbnb.ca (canadian site) and booked a place in Florida for spring break with my family. Booked a place that was advertised as $200 CDN per night. When I received my credit card bill airbnb had charged me $200 US per night. After numerous emails with Dennis from airbnb they refused to refund me the difference stating we had made a mistake. The only mistake we made was using airbnb to rent a place. Airbnb is a dishonest false advertising company that I will never use again.

jimk44
3/19/15

The laundry list of bad service starts with the fact that I had to go to gethuman to find Airbnb's phone number. Next it seems that if you are not connected to Facebook, Linked or Gmail it is impossible to get "verified" so you can use their services. I AM A 65 YEAR OLD BABYBOOMER WITH MONEY TO SPEND. Airbnb isn't what I would describe as helpful for me. If they aren't helpful on the front end why should I think they will be helpful or cooperative when there is a real problem. So far it has taken over 14 hours for their folks to get back to us so we can book. Our "reservation" timed out. They have a great idea. I can only hope someone else enters into the field but can spell service. I am thinking that Hilton sounds better and better.

Tip for consumers: Keep your expectations low, ask lots of questions, read the fine print and make sure you know how to contest a charge. Oh, do not believe for a moment that Airbnb will help in the time of need.

nicholasg12
3/16/15

These guests are thinking that this is like a hotel. If they are looking for a Hilton then they need to book a Hilton room at 5x the rate.I have a one room eff. with private bedroom & bath. It is attached to my home and I describe it as such. However, the reviews that are left from some do not understand or have no experience staying anywhere other than a hotel and expect the same amenities but want to pay less than 1/2 the price. I am very accommodating and ask my guests if there is anything else that they may need after the 1st night and tell them to call me if they need anything. I leave coffee, water, fruit/pastries, and toiletries but some guests still manage to find fault with something.

Tip for consumers: Do not expect this to be a hotel, if you do then book a hotel night. If you are a tourist then you may not like it, most of these places are for experienced travelers.

chrisw89
3/14/15

Website has serious technical issues and they have virtually no customer service!

Airbnb has already charged me over $1200 (more than I ever thought I would spend) for 10 nights reservations. But I am trapped in online hell because their site has frozen me out. I can't even access communication with the people I have paid Airbnb to rent from. This happened when they asked me to "verify my ID". This intrusive step requires you to upload a picture of your drivers license and give them access to your Facebook page among other things. Because of "glitches that might have something to do with me using Apple's Safari browser" I can't complete the verification process, and all links lead back to the broken verification page. I have an upcoming trip for which I have paid over $1200, I can't back out and get other lodging, and I can't communicate with the landlords I have paid. I don't even know what their addresses are. This trouble has consumed many hours over several days. They have absolutely no customer service, the people I have been helped by are from the "community" and do not have knowledge or access to fix my issue directly, just some vague reference to an "escalation". On their Facebook page, every time I check, I find a steady stream of other poor suckers like myself who are shut down due to the verification. I am running out of time to get this fixed before my departure. Another issue...as mentioned by a previous review on this site...the calendars are not kept up to date and you can get a false sense of security thinking places are available, then when you try to book the landlord tells you their rental is not available for your dates.
All this and I haven't even started my trip yet.

Tip for consumers: don't go there, and i you do, don't start the ID verification, I was fine before I did that

delorab1
3/8/15

Avoid airbnb.com. They have what appears as some good properties, but the availability dates are never accurate. After entering your CC information, you'll get an e-mail from your want-to-be host that your dates are booked. So sorry ... spend hours trying to find another place. After all, time isn't money, is it?

Tip for consumers: Avoid airbnb. Call a local Realtor or use another rental site.

jimmyw24
3/6/15

Another Anonymous money grabber -with no customer contact e.mail .Forget them go direct to the owners of all accommodation !

Tip for consumers: LOOK SEE AND THEN JUST GO DIRECT TO THE OWNERS OF ALL ACCOMMODATION

frankc54
3/5/15

Here's my situation "in a nutshell". There is a location in which I was interested. The map shows it only as a wide circle, so I asked for the address and owners' last name. They will not provide this unless I "book" the place. Then if it is not what I want, they will refund my money, LESS THEIR FEES. Oh, and their fees. They not only charge the lessor like most other sites, but also charge the LESSEE (that's me) an additional 6 to 12 percent.

Before I rent a place, I research both the address and the purported owner. They deny me the basic information (last name and address) for me to do that.

A few day prevously, I tried for a vacation location, but that time I was able to get the address. I did a title search and found that the person listing the apt was NOT the owner. Airbnb could not tell me how this unknown (to me) person had the right to lease. Then I searched the address and found the condo was FOR SALE. I could get no satisfactory answer as to what assurance I would have that . if sold, the new owner(s) would honor my lease, other than, well just trust us, our site is based on trust. Just a sort of "trust us".

I will say one thing for airbnb. Their reps were very good as fielding my questions and avoiding the issues, and even when I mentions this site (SiteJabber) they just casually responded, that others are entitled to their opinion.

"A normal person learns from his mistates. A smart person learns from the mistakes of others."

Tip for consumers: When renting, check out the purported owner or whomever says they have the authority to rent. Simply search the address on Google, do an on-line title search, and get a report on the "owner" from some site like "BeenVerified". You don't want to arrive at the condo and be facing an own er who claims his place was never rented!

isabelles3
3/4/15

heed my warning ! don't call too much or let it be your first airbnb experience.. confusing entry and location a lot to be desired. if you call too many times, the host will write a scathing review. beware of this apartment in houston tx.

Tip for consumers: i can't understand how someone can take a newcomer and be so insensitive.....beware if you value your review.....

frankp36
3/4/15

My reservation was cancelled by the "host"... That's it. No reason given, nothing. This company Airbnb is really asking the public to take a chance and if the reservations are cancelled, well too bad. Go and find another place.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother. Unreliable services.

byw
2/10/15

I had a great experience in Cambria California with my hosts. Prices were fair and it seemed affordable then. Ever since then, every time we planned a trip, i found prices on airbnb to be equal or even higher than hotels. By hotels I don't mean cheap, dirty, bed bugs infested hotels. I go thru as much reviews as I can from different sites on hotels to compare wuality and price. Cleanness is important to me, more than saving a few dollars. But bnb sites in S.F., Portland, Seattle were found to he way overpriced once you factor in cleaning fees, additional fees per extra person (s), etc. Having the comfort of a "home" to yourself is important, but while on vacation, who stays indoors except for shower n sleep??? I am very disappointed in how greedy the hosts are now on airbnb. Checked it our so many times last half yesr n this year for vacation plans for this summer that I think ai might not bother with airbnb anymore.

sues50
2/1/15

I will not use this site to book a B&B ever again. There needs to be far more accountability. My husband and I arrived at our Bed and Breakfast and was shocked! It should have been called NO BED and NO BREAKFAST. My chickens live in a cleaner and nicer shed than the one we stayed in for five days. The "bed," was a dirty foamy thrown on the floor and I cringe every time I think of the smell of the sheets and blankets. OMG - it was disgusting! The toilet was outside with a dirty sheet strung up for "privacy." The shower was wide open with no enclosure whatsoever. I'll leave you with some photos. You'll get the picture!

adriennet2
1/26/15

Booked and paid for a place to stay. Based on that, registered for a nonrefundable race, and then my reservation was canceled. Now all the places are sold out so I either eat the 120 cost for the race, pay twice as much to stay in the same area, or stay in the suburbs. Their response was it doesn't happen often and sent me places 10+ miles away to stay at.

Tip for consumers: Beware. The customer service is non existent and you can't count on the reservations. By trying to save money this is going to cost me a lot.

dainyw
1/22/15

Hours to pass their "strict verification" process : email, phone verifications, scans of ID documents (!! 8-o). As if it was not enough their require your social network connection AND all of your contacts!! Whatta excessive requirements?! They need a lot or your PRIVATE information - and all this to ALLOW you to PAY UPFRONT for your reservation?!? And then to get "Declined" answer from the host?! What an attitude to the client?! What is this "AIRBNB"? Closed private club?? I would say some kind of SCAM.

Tip for consumers: Just avoid. It's a waste of time.

alstonl
1/17/15

I am a single "adult" woman.over 50. I discovered to NEVER, EVER RENT FROM A SINGLE MALE.

My one experience was horrendous. The 28 yr old host was subletting a room when was subletting THE ONE BEDROOM APT. He slept on couch. NO amenities, joint bathroom with HIM and used sheets. Obviously disappointed when I arrived as an older woman, not a cute chick.His response to my inquiry. ( Sweet Alston! No problem. Swing on by (no pun intended) red light warning.

The creep is still renting a room. GIAN MICHAEL IN SALINAS, CA. I've since rented from women and couples with no problems..

Tip for consumers: Women, DO NOT RENT FROM GIAN MICHAEL IN SALINAS, CA. and not matter how cheap and nice a room might look, DO NOT RENT FROM SINGLE MEN

corneliar
1/16/15

1 million ID online.....Where are the worlds security services? ID and credit card online is the start for the perfect scam and more.
airbnb is NOT serious.
Nobody knows what it really is.

cenkc1
1/8/15

I rented a flat in Barcelona thru airbnb.com. I have checked the description of the flat very carefully and read all the reviews. People was generally happy in their reviews.
When I arrived, I got shocked. The flat has no any view. It's in the basement floor which probably was used to be a doorman quarter or a cellar. The window in the living room is facing to a wall. And the window in the bedroom is opening to the buildings hole. So, in the bedroom, you can very clearly hear almost all the neighbors, the barking dog on the first floor. It’s always so dark inside the flat..... And many other. In overall, I had a big disappointment.

After I turned back, they asked for a review. I spent my time and left a very descriptive feedback. After a while, I saw that they didn't make it public. When I asked them, they explained that the reviews are published only after both the host and guest have submitted theirs. So, you must expect the approval of the flat's host to make it public )))
It is really nonsense to expect the host to let a negative publicity for his/her flat. So, I understood why all the comments were good and positive for such flat.

Tip for consumers: Try to be sure if you'll rent a flat through this site. The descriptions cannot be complete and the reviews can be misleading if you have higher expectations than them. Because, they do not publish the NEGATIVE reviews. Unfair system...

edw951
12/25/14

Relatively easy to use and navigate. Not perfect but I gave it 5 stars because I found it by chance looking for a discount lodging site. Within an hour, I was able to get a bid on a place to stay that was 1/2 the price of a local motel 6 and looked twice as nice. Since then, I've used it 4 times, all with positive experiences even when I had to cancel. Highly recommended so long as you choose the right location & communicate with landlord in advance. Will definitely use again if on tight budget or looking for a personal touch like a B & B without need for a breakfast.

Tip for consumers: Look for several places. Choose quickly & place your bid. Be specific with host about your timing and special lodging needs - many will accommodate.

dissapointedc
12/19/14

Really bad website. From a host point of view. They keep the full payment from the guest until the guest arrived to your place. They pay you the day after. However, we have not received payment yet from a guest that came and left for about 2 weeks now. We have been emailing them to no avail. No response. Just automated reply that says the same thing over and over. I would not recommend it to any one. They cannot be trusted, not one bit. They don't reply to you. They have no concern about you, except the money. STAY AWAY, AS A HOST AND AS A CUSTOMER. Once and issue arise, you will get NO HELP. NO HELP I TELL YOU.

Tip for consumers: PRAY THAT YOU DONT HAVE AN ISSUE EITHER AS A CUSTOMER OR AS A HOST. YOU WILL END UP GETTING NO WHERE WITH THEM.

clairew21
12/13/14

TOTAL RIP OFF TO BOTH PARTIES

Supplier side: Accommodation owner
As a user and supplier this is the biggest con I have every encountered.
I supply accommodation and find I cannot communicate properly with my guests. Also I cannot control the type of person or have control over the bond issue. Its always a nightmare for entry and exit with guests. I am also inclined to cancel people who book through Airbnb last minute if i get a better offer as I dont know who they are or only get the money after they arrive. The follow up from airbnb is very poor - ie if there is damage they will not sort it out - its just too difficult. They also pay less than quoted - ie the rates quoted are less than paid out - then you also have to pay 3.8% paypal charge - huge fees. GUYS ALWAYS TALK TO THE OWNER FIRST. I HAVE HAD LOTS OF PEOPLE BOOK/PAY AND NOT EVEN AVAILABLE. OWNERS ARE LISTED ON LOTS OF OTHER SITES THEY PAY FOR SO TRY TO GOOGLE THEM ON THERE OWN SITE.
User side: Booking Airbnb accommodation
As a user I have to pay the total amount up front which is crazy. Never do this. I do not know what "trust accounts they have for this". I also never got my bond back - ever!!!. I also pay a year in advance and the owner only gets 1 day after i arrive. They sit on my money for a year, not on. The follow up is poor. Also accommodation owners are getting there email hijacked and you can pay someone else. You have no recourse, this is also happening on Tripadvisor and Flipkey. GUYS ALWAYS TALK TO THE OWNER BEFORE YOU GIVE YOUR MONEY OVER!!!!!.

Tip for consumers: JUST GOOGLE THE OWNER AND DEAL DIRECTLY!!!!

claudial7
12/12/14

Am I to understand that Airbnb takes money from our credit card and keeps it for sometimes months before we actually travel? What do they do with this money? I would understand a deposit and the balance to be paid a few weeks before arrival...but not the whole amount upfront. I didn't realize that Airbnb became a bank hoarding people's money making themselves interest.
I personally find this very disturbing and feel uncomfortable with how this payment system has been put in place.

mikep99
12/8/14

This people are crooks! They take your money and will have no remorse and show know compassion after they get paid. They don't care and could care less if you get kicked out in the middle of the night on a cold and rainy when it's their own fault. Nobody was professional to try and contact me to clarify anything about my situation and when I called them, they we get rude and hang up on me. Im very disappointed and would not recommend them even to my worst enemies

Tip for consumers: Don't use this people

nancyc47
12/7/14

I thought this was a great resource until my most recent experience in which the crazy homeowner wanted to charge us $700 for what she claimed was cigarette smoke damage. My husband smoked 50 feet away from the house and all the windows were closed yet she claims all the linens, drapes, etc were ruined and it would cost $700. AirBnb apparently did not need any proof from her about this and charged my card $200 (unbeknownst to me until I reviewed my credit card statement). I cancelled my account. I can find better deals and service elsewhere.

Tip for consumers: be careful about "security deposit" that you may not know about ahead of time until you are charged for it a month later.

ornab
12/5/14

Be Careful they are scammers, no picture is true, bad reviews are removed!!!!
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/262400?euid=b2b944b5-0035-bf8b-a435-b708b0dc3e54 - this is the advertisement.
And this is the reality: Basement, noisy, broken lights, no working stove, old microwave, dirty apartment, exposed wires, dark, bar outside and graffiti! Who knows how to complain? And they REMOVE bad reviews immediately ( we have seen one disappear in front of our eyes) and refuse to refund. They provide professional photographers to the owners - look at ours, it is a basement with no lights but you won't tell. What a bunch of liars....Can anyone tell me if there is a way to complain to the better business bureau?

Tip for consumers: Don't believe any review, they remove all the bad ones. We have proof.

jacksonj9
11/27/14

Would give less had some guest came on property screaming ,cursing threading had to call police and we had called Air BnB 3 times and he calls in after he left before cops came to arrest and air BnB tried to trick me into cancell the reservation. THAT WOULD GIVE HIM EVERY BUCK BACK!!!!! Sorry would not fall for it ,thanks for looking out for the host. Also they froze the payment as they said there was a personality disagreement so they would release my money. Use flip key, vrbo and homeaway but stay away from this place they are the worst.

kiadecv
11/27/14

Damages discovered after the 48 hour deadline will not get considered by airbnb and further, airbnb will not amend or take down your review. Hosts be aware there are some reviews out there that the hosts now regret and you will be at risk if you rely on these reviews !

susand39
11/24/14

This hospitality outsourcing business is becoming a cult for those inside the tent. The endless striving for Superhost status, the needy requests for other hosts to give feedback on their listing, the 1000s of agonizing posts regarding the virtue or necessity of leaving soap v tea bags, to iron sheets or not, to supply shampoo or not, the cogitating about whether soap scum or drain hair, fridge access or feng shui was the real cause of that last poor review... Not to mention the thousands of horror stories and near misses that appear on the site's Group Host Anecdotes.

These wanna be Martha Stewarts have created their own well furnished and tastefully decorated prisons. Hosts are hostage to guest reviews, and are developing coded review strategies to alert each other but not provoke the dreaded negative review, or worse, apparently, no review. The supposed emphasis on security results in a "pant down bend over" protocol for hosts to "verify", but a loose protocol for guests who reportedly game the system.

The site has inaccurate Google tags if you are searching for properties by location, a so called security device: but gives out real addresses to unverified guests whose emails are faked, whose phone numbers are no longer in service, who turn up with extra bodies, and who have trashed, burgled, and robbed hosts.

And a hosting service who thinks it is appropriate to use videos of sleeping women, (no sleeping men mind you) to advertise their site is just out of touch. These videos look real, and show women waking from sleep, apparently unaware they are being filmed. Airbnb say they are actors, but either way, it looks creepy.

The site is hard work, glitchy, under resourced, slow to respond to issues, and lacking support for hosts. Forums do the work of site administrators, and newbies are thrown to the wolves. Guests have the whip hand, and hosts are just collateral damage. You would do as well to do what they used to in the old days, put up a sign: room for rent, apply within.

Tip for consumers: Don't.

gabriellef2
11/21/14

Airbnb is a wonderful company with great ideas. However, sometimes people can become frustrated especially when dealing with people across various time zones. Travel is a messy business. That being said, most of the problems come from the hosts, and not Airbnb itself. For example, my first experience with the company involved my host canceling just days before my arrival, based on the status on my age (Airbnb standards state you have to be 18+, however she wanted 21+)... Obviously I was frustrated. She had my money and wouldn't let me stay in her home. Airbnb quickly cleared the air, refunded me my money, and gave me 20% off plus an additional $100 for reparations and funds for my next booking. Often times its easy to blame the whole, when really it is simply the disorganization and miscommunication between host and guest. I encourage everyone to use Airbnb and support locals!

Tip for consumers: Make sure you book far in advance, and keep close communication with your host/hostess

saml63
11/21/14

Airbnb is a scam, they don't protect the homeowner, they charge fees for taxes that are mandatory. They don't know the laws, and they take fees if the reservation is cancelled in a few minutes. Stay at hotel, or use a vacation property!

Tip for consumers: STAY AWAY

danaa7
11/20/14

We were cancelled by the owner for double booking. I emailed the owner to make sure his place was available and for the price during the holiday before booking online. Almost a month passes after booking then we receive the cancellation. Very unreliable and unprofessional!

Tip for consumers: I do not see how this site can be used with confidence

susanr39
11/10/14

DO NOT USE AIRBNB. THEY HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE OWNERS WHO POST ON THE SITE. In August 2014, I booked a home in Parkland, Florida for 14 members of my family to stay for 4 nights over Thanksgiving weekend. My family was flying in from all over the U,S. This was my first experience with Airbnb. I paid $3392 to Airbnb in August, the full price of the rental of a 7 bedroom, 5 bath home. Last week, I received an e-mail that the owner of the house, Gary, has CANCELLED MY RESERVATION. Airbnb was very sorry. No reason was given for the cancellation. If I had cancelled at anytime, I would have lost 50% of my money. Gary, the owner, was able to walk away. The house is no longer posted on Airbnb, although it is on VRBO.

As a result of the cancellation, Airbnb gave me three links to other homes as possible replacements. Two were in Miami which were geographically undesirable. The third was a "mansion" listed at a price $1,000 per night. When I wrote to the owner to see if the home was available over Thanksgiving, "Richard" said that it was but that the price was now $8,000 for the 4 days. Because someone else showed interest in the house, he was reducing the price to over $6,000 since that was what he had quoted them. ($2,000 more than what was listed). Supervisor, Elena G., offered me money from her "discretionary " account to make up the difference, thus encouraging hosts to gouge their prices.

Airbnb has no control over hosts who can cancel at any time. Additionally, hosts can freely charge what they want regardless of what is posted in the listing, Airbnb allows this to happen. I was not able to find a house for 14 people in time for Thanksgiving. We are all staying at hotels and have not figured out where to have our Thanksgiving dinner at this time. A supervisor at Airbnb did give me a voucher for $500 for my troubles after I asked for some compensation. I was also promised my refund of the $3392 which Airbnb had since early Sept.

angelosc1
11/5/14

I just love this site. I travel now almost exclusively with Airbnb since I rather stay in apartments than in hotels. I also have my own apartment spare room in Airbnb. However this is not for people looking for the safety of a hotel. Using this site, you are going to people's houses. You need to check first your host to see that he/she is reliable and then book. The same applies to hosts. Take a look at the reviews of a person before accepting them to your house. It's common sense. Only negative is their high cost. They charge 15% on top of each reservation for their service. It could be 10%.

davidj108
11/5/14

In fairness to air b and b, I only have an upcoming stay booked but REALLY dislike their policies and wish that we had never booked through them. I further have an instinct that much of the appeal of this site is to make yourself feel cool and current using it.

In further fairness to the site, I could have personally researched their policies before participating in the transaction described below. I simply (and reasonably) assumed that we merely were booking a place for $X/night and would pay most or all the amount at the end of the stay. I also figured that there might have been some form of cancellation fee, but not that we were gambling roughly $1,000.

My travel (and life) partner booked a vacation a few months ago, and he advocated using air b and b; again to be fair, his experience renting places has been positive. I have not accompanied him on these trips.

The primary issues that I have with this service, which does not seem to even have a customer support email on its website, are that it collects all your money at the time of the reservation, does not allow cancellations for any reason, charges the person making the reservation a 10-percent fee on top of the 5 percent that it charges the homeowner, and does not even pay the homeowner until after the stay is complete. (I do not know if the homeowner gets the money if we do not go.)

I have no cause for complaining that my partner selected a place at the upper end of the price that we were looking to pay. I also accept the clearly stated cleaning fee, which likely will net the owner a nice profit for spending what surely will not be more than one hour of cleaning.

I would have shared concerns had I know that we had to pay the full amount at the time of the booking and that we would be paying a 10-percent fee on top of that. Not only does that make a pricey place a bad bargain, but I do not understand how air b and b can effectively assert regarding the five-percent fee to the owner that the company offers someone who rents a place for $200/night twice as much service as a homeowner who rents a place out for $100/night.

For that matter, the booker paying the 10-percent fee does not get any more service from air b and b for renting the $200 place than the $100 one.

I did express fairly strong concern to my partner on learning of the cancellation fee. I pointed out that we are out all that money in the event that weather, a mechanical problem with the plane, sickness, a family emergency, etc. requires not taking the trip, (Even the not-so-friendly airlines merely charge a large fee if we do not travel and seem to use some discretion regarding imposing that penalty.)

I also noted that we could have stayed in a nice hotel with a location that is as good as our air b and b place, good amenities, daily maid services, and other perks (and would not have required paying anything in advance and would not have charged us if we had cancelled the reservation the day before) for the same total amount that we are paying for the air b and b place.

One suggestion regarding all this is that air b and b do a better job making its policies prominent; these terms should prominently pop up when you enter search terms and should require that you affirmatively click an icon to proceed.

I was promoting the service to friends in the process of researching a place but now am more vocal in warning people against it.

The final bit of fairness to air b and b is that the service may make sense for a family or two couples traveling together who need a full kitchen and/or two or more sleeping areas. It also may make sense for a long-term stay. It definitely does not make sense for a couple or a single person traveling for a week or less.

lauraa17
11/2/14

My issue with airbnb started with being unable to use their service to begin with. I do not send images of my license or my passport to anyone but government officials. The "confirm a few details only you would know" choice let me to a never-ending loop. I replied to their email telling me that my reservation request had not been sent because I was not "verified" and that I could send a video. A video? Of What? To where? They refused to answer any more questions and simply kept sending the same email about my request not being sent. I contacted the host directly, but she did not understand what they wanted either and could not help me. They have my credit card number, my name, my address and my social security card number. How much "verification" can you possibly need??? I feel sorry for hosts and am amazed that anyone goes through all this for a deal. It has been five hours of B.S. I am going to bed.

alejandraa2
11/2/14

DO not put your listing on AIRBNB. They delay your payments and its been almost 3 months since the last person checked out of my place and i still have not receive my money.

The customer service sucks and they pretty much use standard templates to answer you

Tip for consumers: You are not going to receive your payments after the person checks out of your unit

4 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Has anybody that rented their space through Airbnb an advice/experience to share?
I am looking to rent rooms in my home and I am not sure if it is a good idea
11/27/12
frankc54
A: You have to ask??? Just read these reviews
3/5/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: Have any homeowners reported tenants for illegally renting an apartment that was under lease (No subleasing) in NYC? Where was is reported (BBB or AG or other?)? I contacted Airbnb and they refuse to do anything, make ridiculous requests how information is sent, and they do not enforce their Terms of Services. Shouldn't they get proof that a person has the right to rent that property (a license and written permission if they do not own the property)? I am a small property owner (I live in the building) and it's high risk for someone to do this to my property, my tenants, and my family. (FYI we are evicting but I worry about future issues with other tenants in this sharing economy)
1/11/15
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

13 Photos for Airbnb

Airbnb?
Click here to post a review