US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

nolaa

If you have a problem, Airbnb customer service is almost nonexistent. (in 95 reviews)

kayv5

First, as a host I have spent countless hours answering questions from potential guests who DO NOT read the listings. (in 272 reviews)

tn1

Your credit card isn't charged until after the fact. (in 43 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

ag813
4/30/16

So I finally signed up for Airbnb because my family was gathering in NYC and I wanted a nice place near by. I went through the process of setting up an ID. Check. Then got to the ID verification.Makes sense. However, 1st it could not verify even though my info was in fact accurate. Finally resolved the site said the glitches were due to what they said was site server issues. Check. it then asked to check via access to either facebook, google or LikedIn as an additional verification. I thought ok that seems fair. Looked at what they wanted access to and know enough about data delivery and value of big data accumulation for investor valuations and saw they wanted access to my contacts. Bingo.
For those who do not know, there is no way that is of any verification or security value. That is simply a fake and ineffective excuse for a pure DATA grab. It is heavily frowned upon and there is a stark division between so Internet based companies that do this kind of data grab cloaked usually in security or verification and those who do not insist on getting access to contacts.
Let's be clear what that means and why it is such a NONO in the internet business etiquette. It is basically saying you have to give a 3rd party access to the contact info of a friend or business contact of yours WITHOUT their agreement. That is the ethical issue here.
So I paid for the place that said it was available. Hours later and only one day before I had to arrive, I get a note late at night saying the place was not in fact available so had no other options in time. Hotel started to seem really good...
Regardless of their current valuation as a company, these two points will eventually cause the company to lose market share. There is no need to require access to contacts. It's a fluff argument giving false sense of security. Second the turn around process is deeply flawed and unprofessional. I have used VRBO often and am used to professional and streamlined businesses in the hospitality sector and have even worked in it at one point and this was very unconvincing, arbitrary, open to total discrimination (other real issue) , and in need of a real overhaul. Better models are sure to arrive soon. Let's hope.

Tip for consumers: Consider that they are wanting to access all of your contacts without the approval of your contacts. IF you give your name and phone number to someone you are not agreeing that person gives it to a business in Russia or NY or HongKong because your friend wants to travel there. Imagine you do not know it has been given without your knowledge or permission. Please keep that in mind. Second, if you have a tight schedule and you need ot find something in a day or two, you are put on hold for many ho

donaldb61
4/30/16

I have belonged to all the vacation websites. They all have issues. All I can say to Travelers and Host when things get bad someone at air bnb has eventually tried to help solve the issues They do have a concern for the guest and the host and making it a positive experience for both. The other websites vrbo and flip key esp the latter are all about how much money can we get from the guest and the host. Flip key being the absolute worse. Stay away and use trip advisors as your last resort. Customer service is closed after 5 pm a travel website that closes huh. They want to operated like a hotel industry as far as booking punish the host if have to cancel but are no where to be found for either the guest or the host. And take hundreds of dollars on a monthly booking.

elaines42
4/27/16

Just spent two wonderful five day stays in Europe using AirBnB. Perfect places, awesome landlords, great experiences! After reading all these negative Nancy reviews I just had to put in my two cents worth here.
Simply put, this is all on you renters. You have the INTERNET. Awesome tool this thing. Use it and do your research. When you find a listing that interests you, for cripes sake read ALL the reviews. Judiciously. Bad reviews? Don't book. No reviews? Don't book! Google map the place. You can look at the street view and area. Safe? Dicey? Easy access to where you want to be? Consider those pictures on the web site. Gorgeous view? Old building? No lift?. Ok, you are looking at a 5 floor walk up with luggage. Know that. Does everyone rave about the landlord being helpful and available? Good sign. All five stars? Good sign. I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with AirBnB, but it isn't idiot proof, and of course nothing is perfect. Use your head and it can open the doors to some amazing adventures. I LOVED my experience, and my hosts. They all had numerous five star reviews. I gave them two more!

paulf88
4/26/16

I rented a place in Addison, TX for 2-motns. It looked nice on the site, but when I arrived it was anything but nice. The place was cluttered and full of the host's things. There was no closet space or place to hang any clothes. Additionally, the refrigerator was full/full of his perishable goods. Keep in mind that I booked the place for 2 months. The bathroom was not clean and the furniture was in bad shape. This was a complete misrepresentation. I left after 1 night. I then requested a refund. No problem I figured because this place was totally unacceptable and not as advertised. Think again. After about 10-days they came to a final decision that I would get back $729 out of $2499. I paid $1766 for a 1-night stay. I sent pictures and explained it all to 3 different people. This was a total ripoff and I will never use Airbnb again and will go out of my way to let people know in what poor regard they hold their customers.

jeffk71
4/24/16

I received this response after I complained (politely) about a booking glitch on the Airbnb website.

Vincent, Apr 24, 10:29

Hi Jeff Krolick,

Thanks for reaching out.

We regret to inform you that we'll be unable to support your account moving forward, and have exercised our discretion under our Terms of Service to disable your account(s). This decision is irreversible and will affect any duplicated or future accounts.

Please understand that we are not obligated to provide an explanation for the action taken against your account. Furthermore, we are not liable to you in any way with respect to disabling or canceling your account. Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with respect to such matters, and this decision will not be reversed.

We'll contact you if anything changes in the future, but until then, we won't be able to assist you any further with your account issues. Please see our Help Center for further information: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/432.

Thanks,

Vincent
www.airbnb.com/help

concernedc21
4/22/16

We have a lady in our community hosting a air B&B in a community where it is not allowed, and also advertising our community amenities (Pool, Gym, Tennis Court, Play ground). The community's insurance does not cover these folks. Someday someone is going to get hurt, and the attorneys are going to drag it out and make a ton of $$.

If your in Melbourne Fl, don't stay at 1444 Hill Ave Melbourne Florida. Your not welcome.

dorothys41
4/21/16

I rented 4 nights in DC but when I showed up the manager confronted me at the door and said it was illegal for residents to rent out their place on airbnb so I ended up paying high fees for last minute hotel rentals for 4 nights. AIRBNB did not respond to my visa dispute over the illegal rental. A company you want to avoid at all costs.

johns1271
4/20/16

Tried to register and they require a video of yourself. I did not have a webcam so I sent a camcorder file as an AVI-this is supposed to be an accepted format. They claim that they could never get the video to work. Site would also not accept my Facebook link. Their website sucks and the corresponding service was just as lacking. They could care less about losing the business so I hope somebody else makes them irrelevant.

caroliner21
4/19/16

Air Bnb exist just to make money, once you're booked, you have no protection if the place is not what it said to be, they don't inspect these places, they don't work personally with owners. We stayed at three places, all filthy. I'm in london for cancer treatments and the place we got had mites and we all got infested, the landlord said it is our responsibility to keep things clean, how is that when we don't own the mice infested bed? This could cause my death to be honest. You are better off at a hotel where there is quality control. You get what you pay for, they're not exactly cheap anyway we just wanted a kitchen, a serviced apartment would be better, hard hard lesson learned. I would not recommend airbnb to my enemy. I won't even give airbnb one star, the worst company I know.

katiem68
4/19/16

I planned to stay with Airbnb for 1 month after a transplant surgery. Unfortunately, my surgery was delayed for circumstances out of my control. I had agreed to the "long term" refund policy and was unable to get my money back from the host. Airbnb really worked with me and assisted me to get all my money back. They were compassionate and understanding. It is nice to know that good companies still exist when something like this occurs.

pawanb1
4/18/16

I had a pretty bad experience with airbnb. The place I booked didn't meet minimum quality standard for a private room. The room was dirty and there was no privacy. All I could do was to walk away and cancel the reservation. Aibnb refunded only 30% of the booking cost.

norkatil
4/18/16

Airbnb does not appear to check even the most basic claims about properties, such as their location. I booked a "Cottage near beach" only to learn that it is a 45 minute walk from the beach (2.3 miles). Even though "misleading location" is a violation of the Airbnb terms of service, after submitting a claim, Airbnb did not respond, and neither did the host, who has demanded a $300 cancellation fee.

I have filed a dispute with my credit card company. I will never use Airbnb again.

alrxp
4/15/16

Freezing company

edb48
4/12/16

I have to say I have never felt so let down. To be told whilst in Johannesburg, 2 days ahead of flying to Capetown that the accommodation that had been booked through Airbnb in Capetown was no longer available was less than ideal. With three children and being a country that you have never visited before this was a challenging situation.

No contact details to enable us to have a conversation just silence! Never use this company. Still waiting for a response and a refund of the bank charges for our bank transfer plus the returned money was sent back in Euros. Diabolical, complete scam. Don't use them, Found a great company that helped us in the end but wasted a whole day of our holiday trying to resolve the situation. Use a company called Capsol to book accommodation in Capetown. They were brilliant!

tomt85
4/11/16

Airbnb has little quality control. Premises not clean either time. Linens and sheets almost clean. Most recent rental had a torn down motorcycle in the driveway, half eaten food in the refrigerator, clothes stuffed in closets almost 4 ft deep, no room for ours on shelves, hangers or drawers. One room had over 20 pairs of old shoes on a rack and smelled of BO. Carpets weren't clean or even vacuumed. When we complained to the host he asked if we understood Airbnb. We do now and will avoid future exposure to the aggravation.

wm212
4/11/16

Easily find every partially inhabitable apartment in major cities around the world. In London and New York, there are lots of Airbnb apartments that have problems (i.e., mold and no heat, respectively) that are serious enough that the owner doesn't want to live there and probably cannot sell it.

Customers should be aware of this risk. Because Airbnb customer services is basically nonexistent, or has no phone number, don't expect help with any problems in the apartments.

If Airbnb wants to keep its economics, it needs to deal with the apartments that are fraudulently promoted using its application. Users should require a bigger discount versus hotels to take the risk.

lucej
4/11/16

After having booked an entire house in Naples, FL a year in advance, when we arrived, there was no host in sight. Even though we had spoken at length a few days prior, when we would be there and how he would receive us. The "tropical paradise" looked like a dust bowl. The locked front door did not open with the given security code. No chance to reach the host. We were able to open the dead bolt through a doggie door (?!)
An elderly lady was sitting behind a huge fence (not on website). Decided this was not what we signed up for. Called Airbnb who was able to reach host. Host wanted to come with 4 screws and a piece of plywood. We declined and left, needed to find other lodging
in high season. It was 6pm at that point. Host would "work with us" and was "very sorry he
was not there". End result: host has ignore us and refused to return our rental fee. Airbnb
"customer service" only sends standard notes (each time with a different advisor's name).
One cannot call or write Airbnb. Only respond when they call you or write you. But when they say "case closed", you are on your own. Not a company that will last in the long run.
Short term gains appears to be what they are after. Do not rent from Joseph Borremans
in Naples, FL. Since I was unable to post my review I wonder whether the ones that are
there are legitimate, since they are only super positive.

lesliec43
4/11/16

I stayed at two AirbnBs, one in London, the other Paris. The Paris apartment had an infestation of drain flies and we were unable to turn the kitchen faucet on. The couch was extremely dirty and two of the three bedrooms lacked privacy (both rooms had huge windows with no curtains and one of the two rooms didn't have a door). The London flat had a comforter and sheets and a mattress that smelled strongly of urine. We also were unable to take a proper shower because we couldn't regulate the temperature and the other bathroom had a tub and shower combo in which the owner removed the fixture needed to turn the shower on. Guess they didn't want us to use water. Also, the heat only came on when we weren't there.

janetc15
4/10/16

I used this iPhone app and the desktop version. I needed a place to stay quickly, so I booked with 6 different hosts who all cancelled me or told me their place was not available on the day I chose, and yet AirBnb claimed it was for the day. The search is not accurate at all and it's frustrating.

All the hosts I spoke to also have a very long response time so if you need a reply within a few hours, you could forget it. I tried booking in Brooklyn (New York City) and had horrible experiences such as this. The first host I spoke to told me her apartment isn't available on the day I chose (yet the reservation still went through). She told me to cancel the reservation and so I did, and was basically taken a $7 cleaning fee that was not returned to me, despite not stepping a single foot in the apartment at all. I'm new to AirBnb and I felt scammed considering the website FAQs claims the cleaning fee is refundable.

The other hosts tells me their apartment is booked despite being available on the website. At this rate, I was going to simply pay $20 more to stay at a hotel, but I wanted a kitchen too. I would never use this service again. I was browsing for an entire day just to find a place to stay and still got nowhere.

The app is also really buggy and constantly asks for me to verify my ID. Apparently, a state ID is not enough and they ask for a social network page of you and I don't use any social networks. When the host denied me reservation, I felt like I basically gave out personal information for nothing. The app consistently makes me book the wrong dates or guests too.

charlotted12
4/9/16

I hosted a guest in my home just recently. The guest showed up (with an unauthorized guest) kicking my dog and it went down hill from there. Long story short, it was a terrible, stressful experience. I was able to get these people out of my home; however, horrible guests do not have to leave. Please know that when you are opening your home to these type arrangements, you are taking a huge risk. It is not Airbnb's policies that govern the arrangement, but the STATE LAWS in which you live.

sonyao1
4/7/16

I mistakenly reserved a studio property instead of a 2 bedroom. I cancelled the reservation within 5 minutes and contacted the host explaining my situation. The host never responded. When I received the cancellation confirmation I was completely astonished to see that I had been refunded $75 dollars out of the $1072 I had paid. I contacted customer service and was told that I would be assigned a specialist. Two days later I receive an email from Airbnb stating they would ask the host to reimburse me. I then receive an email asking if I wanted to rent a different property from the same host which I refused since I had already made other arrangements. Later that day I receive an email stating that the host, Maria has agreed to refund me 50% I am beyond angry! 50% for a five minute reservation? I have contacted my credit company to dispute the charges and also made a complaint to the BBB. What Scam artist!

kayr115
4/7/16

We booked '2 bdrm apartment - 6 kilometres from city'. That's in Watson, ACT, Canberra. We asked for a discount on the $932 for 7 days as its 2 bedrooms and we only need one. They accepted this but the offer came back as $897 so I asked for a breakdown and I know Airbnb also adds their 8% fee. Then they offered $725 + the Airbnb fee which came to $812. The offer was to last until 9.58am on 8 April. However, the site would not allow me to book tonight and they claim someone else has booked the place. This is completely outside Airbnb's policy and shows a total disrespect for Airbnb clients and especially clients like us with a really good reputation. This is in stark contrast to other sites like Booking.com for example who always honour their booking agreements and provide certainty for their clients.

claudiob15
4/6/16

I was an airbnb host and I got a ahck of a problem with this useless bunch of idiots, I get a family that didn't followed at all the rule of the house, basically they should sleep in 2 rooms (2 parents with 3 children) and the children where not suppose to sleep alone, in 3 days this kids made over 15.000 THB (500 USD) of damages to my house including the total destruction of a ceiling and a ceiling fan (the same day of the check out) and they refused to pay for the damages. Airbnb claim to have an insurance in this cases but when I claim my rights first the suspend my account then when I asked to reactivate it they wrote me this email:

Hi xxxxxx

Thanks for reaching out.

Thanks,

Joey
www.airbnb.com/help

this is my reply:

So, you useless bunch of idiots, cancel my account and all my data that you got in you database or I'm going to press charges.

$#*! YOU

miguell20
4/2/16

If you want to temporary rent an apartment as a tenant,beware of Airbnb : Airbnb is the most abusive system for you as a tenant and you can not make your vacation plans based on a deal with them. The facts are as follows : The landlord can cancel the deal at any time and the only commitment Airbnb has is to give you back your money for the rental that you had already paid 100% in advance and there is no compensation for the time ( may be weeks or months) that they have your money for free and for the trouble they cause you like having to star over looking for an apartment or worse as in my case having started my trip and getting notice on the way that my rental in Lima -Perú-that I had already paid for was cancelled and I had nowhere to stay . If the tenant cancels the deal damages to the owner on an unknown arbitrary bases will be established but if the owner cancels the deal no damages are considered . As you can see there are no equal parties when renting with AIRBNB .

dawnc36
4/2/16

My husband, 15-year-old granddaughter and myself had planned a trip to Europe in May/June.
On March >>>> the US State Department declared a Traveler Warning for Europe, specifying that terrorists were targeting US citizens overseas, further stating that mass transit and tourist sites were likely to be the areas attacked. For the State Dept. to issue such an alert (with specifics) the state dept. must certainly have gathered enough information to deem travel dangerous for US citizens.
Therefore, we felt we must cancel, especially since we were traveling with our granddaughter. We had made reservations in 5 Airbnb places. We were required to pay in full, and four of the five owners would only give a 50% refund no matter the circumstances. Airbnb service charges ranged from $32-78 per reservation, which added up to a total for the 5 reservations at $272, all nonrefundable. The total we lost from the owners added up to $1,116, for a grand total of $1,388.
We cancelled on 3/25/16 and our arrivals dates were 5/31, 6/3, 6/7, 6/10, and 6/13, leaving the owners 10.5 to 13 weeks to rebook.
Despite what they advertise, there was no way to communicate with any one at Airbnb, as I tried for an entire afternoon.
We will certainly never use Airbnb again, and feel other potential customers should be aware of their policies. A big thanks to Booking.com for their policies, customer service and being available to communicate with customers!

paular32
4/2/16

When my friend and I arrived to a house we rented on Airbnb the back door had holes on the bottom and one of the living room windows was broken and replaced with a piece of Plexiglas that was kept in place with just a clip, there was a gap not securely sealed. On top of this a travel trailer backed up to the house with garbage and beers cans. There was a dump out back window and there was more. Now Airbnb did refund my money after I sent the pictures of the condition of the property however they allowed this host to repost her listing. We traveled 2700 miles only to have to scramble to try to find someplace to stay after seeing the condition of the "cozy 2 bedroom home" "feels like home". I sent an e-mail to Airbnb about my disappointment they allowed the host back on their site and there was no way for me to review this host because I cancelled the reservation. The host was Maria and is in the Fortuna Foothills (Yuma) Arizona.

jamiew50
4/2/16

We had spent a lot of time finding a place to stay in Chicago. The reality that we only have a few more spring break vacations before our kids are off to college. The day before we were to travel to Chicago, we received an email at 10 a.m. from the owner that our airbnb reservation had been cancelled due to "circumstances beyond his control." Apparently, the guests that stayed in condo before us burgled the other condos in the unit. Nice. Needless to say, there was nothing even close to what we had booked still available the day before we were to arrive. I realize this is a first-world problem, but these trips mean a lot to us as a family. I also realize that sometimes things do come up that truly are beyond people's control. However, I also expect people to make some sort of effort to make things right when these things do happen. The owner's response? "You can go to the airbnb site to find another listing. Sorry." We tried to email him and did not hear back until 7 that night. Airbnb contacted us a 9:30 that night saying they will get us our money back within 5 business days, but they would give us a coupon for $100 off our next airbnb stay. All I can say is you have many options as a consumer to find places to stay on vacation or other trips. I would strongly suggest you consider any option other than airbnb.

marisad1
4/1/16

I listed my home with you and the listing was wrong, no way to take it off your site or change, no way to talk to anyone unless you want to spend three days looking for a number than wait an hour on the phone which hangs up on you. I got millions of texts that I could not stop. GET OFF MY BACK!!!!!!!!

michaelm399
3/31/16

You really have watch yourself here! First non refundable cancellation, that alone should send bad vibes through your bones. Second, these owners are scam artist, these guys are in the electric and water business too. Don't expect to just pay the electric bill, they will charge you more, up to 3 times what the electric company charges. Water, maybe trash in some countries, expect to pay top dollar. So what seems like a good deal can cost more in the end than just paying for a motel. Plus you don't have some idiot trying to intimidate you and wreck your vacation, oh yea not good!

janeo11
3/29/16

The airbnb strict cancellation policy makes no sense when booking many months to a year in advance, which one sometimes has to do. For example, to ensure lodging in Iceland, it is necessary to book a year in advance. A strict cancellation policy that requires the forfeiture of 50 percent of the amount paid if cancelled 6-12 months prior to arrival makes no sense. The strict cancellation policy should be re-defined to state that cancellations made prior to 6 months in advance will receive 100 percent refund--not 50 percent.
Also - it is impossible to get a question answered by the management/administration team. No phone numbers and no email addresses. Just an endless loop of Q&A - very frustrating.

clairef17
3/25/16

I never had ANY problems using this site. Great concept!

loris172
3/24/16

Extremely frustrated and disappointed in #AirBnb. Due to a name mix-up and a mistake with the background check, they cancelled my reservation, deleted my account and have yet to refund my $400 that I already paid. There are a lot of Lori Stevens' in the world, and this one does not have a criminal record. All they need to do is cross reference SS# etc. I have opened a dispute with their background check company which will take 30 days to process and I have spent all morning on the phone. I know a lot of you like the company but I am not impressed.

lae34
3/20/16

Their app can't give fresh emails or booking request and even if I read an email the red thing is still up. I have to log into the site with a computer and mark read so the red numbers goes off.

As for the bnb itself Do NOT host for them unless if you have your landlord written agreement or you have HOA approval, lack of it you can get fine big time if you own and evict if you rent and once you get eviction in your credit you won't be able to get a place anywhere as it live in your credit for 10 years and bnb can't be anymore careless because they use hosts.

Also they have a total bias toward guests and have a department call trust and safety that never answer calls, they refuse to call, impose only to write and they write copy cat emails, almost like a robot. They never answer specific questions. The worse is, they don't have any departments above them, no manager nothing. I have hosted 40 of their guests and have 5 stars reviews all around and was called a superhost, all it took one lie form one guest who had no review and was a first time user, and they give full refund to the guest without my approval or even courtesy of email, even I have text from her who thanks me and she was happy and I'm the best, but one of those who go to store buy things use and then return to fetch refund and Airbnb never argue and always refund because they make the host pay and they just deduct it from my next booking. You can call and complain the neighbor make noise, the place didn't had tub and only shower or any lame excuse and they refund.all you need as a host to fall in one dishonest guest, bnb is with them at %100

If guest break or steal anything, as a host you are on your own. Basically they alway side with guest and abuse hosts. I stop hosting for them because I don't like their bias and lack of appreciation. But it's good to be guest because you can just go like that guest did to me sleep three nights for free and call and make up any lies and they refund you. So to hell with free rides and bnb. I switch back to get a Roommate and I can make more money with less work and hustle.

irmaa4
3/15/16

FOR HOMEOWNERS: AirBnB holds money for a long period of time. I have a guest staying at the property for 5 days already and I have not received AirBnB payment yet. They are claiming it will take up to 5 business days. So, don't count on the payment right away even if you are hard pressed to make a loan payment, HOA fee, etc.
Second, if guests cancel even after they check in and use your property spending there a few days with their dog, they may cancel any time if they find an excuse and you will lose all your money for the exception of the few days they stayed at the property.

I accepted 3 month reservation. My guest canceled because he found a cheaper place. He claim the property was not clean. I scrubbed it for 8 hours myself to be sure it is spottles. AirBnB cancelled my reservation and I lost 2 month and 25 days of rent. I turned down all my other prospective clients in order to accommodate this guest. Accept AirBnB reservation ONLY if you have no other choices and this is your last resort. Also, you don't get deposit if property is damaged. Don't count to recover any of the deposit. I had a group of people smoking pot at the property. It was devastating. My cleaning lady texted me that it was so bad, she could not clean there without all doors and windows open. We had to cancel next guests reservation because they were a family with small children. AirBnB gave us $20 for air freshener after a lengthy dispute.
Third, AirBnB charges hosts a processing fee of 3 to 4 % or higher depending on the transaction. They also charges guests a "service" fee.

FOR GUESTS: AirBnB charges outrageous guests fee. If you cancel you will not get your service fee back. Customer service is horrible. They used to be better when they were starting up. Now they are bigger than Choice Hotel Chain. I wonder if they go public as a company..

noahy2
3/14/16

We've been hosting on Airbnb over 2 years now and I must say their notification system has been failing big time lately. We no longer receive SMS notifications and sometimes we don't get emails either. We've contacted Airbnb about the issue but it's been months and no change. Other than that all is good.

jeffs99
3/11/16

Than the guest.
Recently, I was looking for a place specifically in Scottsdale. I ended up 25 miles away on the other side of PHX. OK. I could have looked closer at the map, however I would still consider this a "bait and switch" tactic.
There's no direct way to speak to the owners prior to renting. It feels creepy and espionage like. Only through texts in which the phone number changes each text. It's hard to get a feel of a place or the owner without speaking at times.
Airbnb asked for your social security number in order to become a member. This is way out of line in this day and age. They aren't a bank or any other financial institution.

The apartment was advertised for $65/night. I ended up shelling out $93/night. More bait and switch.
It was hardly worth the $65.

In my future I'm boycotting the site.

frankt48
3/11/16

I use airbnb in several European countries , and lets just say once you paid in advance is up to the host to give you what he or she promise and not all of them are honest , when you write back to the company never they give you your money back and many times it takes days to fix or give you another option if ever...
I will not use it again

anthonyc113
3/10/16

Showed up during XMAS holiday to spend a few nights on this beautiful sail boat only to find the pictures were10 years old.Boat was dirty full of owners clothes and food after complaining they kept $400 dollars and threaten me with legal action if i continued to contact owner,phony reviews,phony pictures etc.......AIRNBNB could care less even wrote to president with no response, and of course you can't get a bad review posted on their site SCAM

pault98
3/9/16

Cancelled 1 year in advance shortly after booking and still charged 10% cancellation fee. Cannot reach representative.

samii
3/7/16

This has been the most frustrating experience I have ever had. Booked a reservation with Sussan, and then found out she was a fake. I guessed that the validation process with Air bnb is lacking. Then after couple of conversation with the friendly agents, they gave me a small additional credit, however i had to fork another $1098, to later find that Sherry has cancelled it in lieu of double booking. I have spent far too much time with this website, and can't afford to pay another grand to take the next option. This has been absolutely a horrible experience.

juliak37
3/6/16

We have been hosts with Airbnb for more than 2.5 years. We rely on guests' "verifications" by more than just a phone number ( 1 verification) because we live here and don't want to find ourselves greeting more guests than we agreed to host, or people intending to engage in criminal conduct from the guest room of our home. And we submitted to the, "whole boat" of verification so our guests know they haven't reserved space in the Bates Motel where mummified mom will be in the basement. We didn't have to take a video of ourselves, but the questions were pretty intrusive and they were obviously being validated while we were answering them.
Our reviews are consistently good because we only rent our guest house or our guest rooms with freshly cleaned bed linens and towels, vacuumed carpeting and fully equipped kitchens and bathrooms with clean plumbing fixtures. Again, we live here. So we're not attractive to people whose hunger for privacy is for doing things they're ashamed of or fearful of being arrested for.
I agree that Airbnb seems to be trying to replace formerly one-to-one phone calls to customer support with FAQs and emails ( the endless effort to increase profits, evidently). It's also clear that 'hackers' have tried ( and maybe succeeded ) to invade the email communications between hosts and prospective renters. A couple of times there have been really odd inquiries from travelers requiring inappropriate lodgings ( an inconveniently long drive from the locale of their planned activity ) or asking coyly if we're "really secluded" ( or asking to negotiate lower rent - although our rates are much lower than all the local hotels and licensed, commercial bed and breakfasts.) Or asking about availability for a long period of time in which they don't state their planned travel time. (query would this be somebody looking to book our space and rent it to 3rd parties at higher prices?) So, we "deny" those requests, we don't make a reservation and then cancel it when somebody more attractive wants those dates. The former is prudent, the latter is greedy.
All that information demanded by Airbnb from hosts about their accommodations and neighborhood and rates needs to be read. People used to choosing which "they-all-look-alike" motels don't want to really compare what's on offer - just the prices.
It's so hard for some people to grasp the major differences between dealing with individual homeowners and booking a bargain-priced "special" room rate at one of the big chain hotels that look like they're always clean, because the in-house cleaners are expert at making it look like the fixtures have been cleaned and the bed linens have been changed whether or not that's actually true.
I'd like it if Airbnb would create another category for the "multi-unit" property managers in the bigger municipalities. If people are having bad experiences with them I prefer that their dubious business practices through Airbnb not be the reason that the Airbnb guests we want to accommodate are not being discouraged. The rest of us scrub our sinks and bathtubs and launder the sheets and expect to be treated respectfully by travelers as we strive to accommodate them.
I'm annoyed by the young couple who reserve one of our two guest rooms, "text message" that they can't check in before the performance they have tickets for and will not arrive until after 11:00 p.m., and then texts at 11:30p.m. that "something has come up" and they'll not arrive after all but will return to their big city home that night. Wait for it . . . then they want a refund because they cancelled long after the announced deadline to cancel.
That's one reason hotels cost so much more. They have to refund the last minute cancellation. Airbnb rates are lower because, in part, last minute cancellations don't get refunded.
We love Airbnb, but I hope they improve "support" access and response, and read these complaints to mean that verification procedures need simplified and improved "how-to" helps.
And in this marketplace, there is no perfect option: certainly not HomeAway and subsidiaries.
In almost five years, the Home Away group has raised their prices to homeowners and pressured us forcefully to give them access to the money collected to hold reservations and to our banking information. They "punish" owners for holding on to the process of making reservations and holding advance payments and security deposits rather than giving that whole financial aspect to Home Away. And this year they're charging a percentage of the rents to renting travelers.
So, our experience as hosts has been, we're fair and square with our guests and with Airbnb and we've been fortunate to have no problems with Airbnb guests. And very few problems with guests from word-of-mouth referral or the VRBO/HomeAway group.

jamesb338
3/4/16

Regarding the Video that is kind of a substitute for the Drivers Licence picture with all the information in it that is to be uploaded as per ''verification'' such as Drivers Licence Number, Last Name, Date of Birth, Address, etc. etc. so if you upload the Video instead, then make sure NOT to upload this identifiable information.

And not just I am saying that but Airbnb saying that too, I just got an email from them re the video - good to know, just in case you about to verbally upload the Drivers Licence info:

''Please do NOT include your government issued ID or ID number, payment information, email, phone number, or other personally identifiable informationlike your social security number or last namein your video.''

Who would know that uploading the Drivers Licence with last name on it, is ok but for the same verification purpose, not to do that with the Video.....

Very small printing going on here....

Oh and now... that they know my address (from the mirror image of my Drivers Licence that I uploaded) + they know when I am going away (the dates I have booked) I have ordered security cameras to my place lol

Tip for consumers: Do NOT use Airbnb

lors3
3/3/16

They cater to people taking advantage of others. The review system is prolonged and unnecessary; if the proper protocols had been in place in the first place. Pay more and stay in hotel that cares about its guests. There is no vetting system- all you need is a license to prove you are alive. Don't buy into it.

petem37
3/3/16

UTTERLY DEPRESSING/DIRTY/TOTALLY OVERPRICED never again!!!!

Feb 4th 2016
We arrived after a long journey. (India to Kenya) On arrival at the 'Turquoise Villa' our hearts sank,
The grounds were poorly maintained, the property was dirty, poorly maintained, and completely unloved, dirty kitchen , dirty kitchen utensils, dirty cooker, dirty fridge etc etc etc
Ripped curtains on the main entrance.
Bedrooms, grubby , dimly lit grubby, linen, grubby towel grubby bathrooms etc etc etc
The 'host' is NOT the owner, he is a neighbour who owns other properties next door, (Much Better quality) he showed us one of his properties, which we immediately agreed to move into the next day.
Air BNB act only as in intermediary, with No authority or real concern, Basically AirBnb ask you to sort it out with the Owner,
When the Owner clearly has no interest in the property.
We asked for a refund for the 1 night we had to stay as we had arrived late and it was getting dark - He Refused.
We moved the next day, The review on your site are from his relatives. Not impartial reviews at all.
As we left the property next door, we could see that Villa Turquoise was having the roof removed - need I say more.
In addition AirBnb claims the property has Washer , Drier, Internet
NO IT DOES NOT!!!!!!!
A VERY POOR EXPERIENCE

jericah
2/29/16

I booked a House near Dallas, Texas after carefully reviewing the refund/cancellation policy and confirming that money will be charged to my card once the host confirms my booking. Not even 5 Minutes later I received confirmation of charges from my bank through text and email, however upon viewing my AIRBNB profile, there was no confirmation, no trip showing, or any other way to tell my reservation was made, aside from the charges to my card. Chatting and calling customer service got me no where in life but aggravated and impatient since apparently the reps could not find my trip either, but magically had the last 4 of my card number that was used on file, announcing it was a glitch/ one-off in there system and the charges are not normally applied until the host confirms. CSR Ricardo Barros emailed a statement informing of the error, as well as confirming to me that my refund had already been processed in full. Sounds lovely right? Seems like a rep will tell you anything just to get you off the line so it can be the next man's problem. 5 days later I am still not showing my refund released. I called to follow up and the next delusional rep said that AirBNB never processed it and I would have to log in to my trips to cancel. Now Obviously this bone-head did not do her due diligence to thoroughly read her notes for an IRATE customer because the trip not showing up in my profile is my reason for cancellation in the first place! At this point I demanded a Supervisor, and got stuck with Rizzo who seemed to have been in his position for less that an hour because this dimwit provides ME an authorization code to call and provide my bank to release my funds?!?! In what bank in America would that really work where a consumer can call in their own refund codes and not have the money sent back from the merchant? Let alone, the Less-than-"Super"-no-"visor" Rizzo has yet to follow up with me, allowing me to call back twice while he was clearly providing call avoidance, refusing to come to the line and I sent 2 emails and still no word from the punk! AirBNB failed to provide confirmation, then after admitting their error, they still have yet to resolve the issue. Never will I ever do business with this scam site again.

jennifert85
2/26/16

I booked an apartment through Airbnb's "Superhost" Luka Piscitelli and when I was forced to cancel my entire trip due to unforeseen circumstances, I gave Luka 6 weeks notice, yet he refused to refund 50% of the fee I paid (totalling $236). Despite talking to several supervisors at Airbnb, they refused to help and supported the host because I clicked on something at checkout that says I agreed to this policy (despite my not even remembering seeing it). They put "Superhost" front and centre on his profile, but not these unfair and punitive policies. Shame on you Luka and Airbnb.

gerardor8
2/25/16

I'm taking off all my units from this people, their "resolution center" is a joke, I had to replace 2 sofas that were completely destroy by a guest . I explain them what happened and even send them pictures from the damages but they close my case like nothing happened without giving me even an excuse...never work with them again...stay away!!!!!

mikec205
2/23/16

Airbnb's website is user friendly and has all the functionalities both hosts and guests could wish for. It does a better job than its rivals like Wimdu or Roomorama. It's not perfect yet, but it's the best in its category.

lingf1
2/22/16

I am hosting on airbnb for more than 2 years. I can't express how disappointed I am as a host by my guests. While in the beginning, I seemed to deal with normal people, now that the site got more expensive, only rude, clueless people seem to be using that website. I have zero cancellation rate as a host; all my apartments are exactly as shown and cleaned by professional crew. However, I deal with guests who call me drunk at night demanding parking that is not even advertised on the listing; guests smoking in the apartments even though we have non-smoking in the house rules. Recently, a guest attempted to hack (!!) the building router that produces wifi for the all other tenants by installing his personal password on it. We prevented it, sending a technician. The guest left a review saying "apparently wifi was shared and others in the building didn't like it". What kind of a person expects NON-SHARED wifi nowadays and, after not receiving it, writes a negative review??? Wifi by definition is a shared facility, even in Marriott or Hilton.

I don't know what hosts will soon remain on airbnb, but their reviews policy is clearly encouraging scams like that to put down good hosts. This encourages hosts to offer lesser quality services or not leave any reviews to good guests, since guests will write whatever, anyway, without much thinking and knowing that the host won't see their review or have any recourse.

On a positive side, airbnb allows me to earn 25% net extra income vs my long term rentals, this being the only reason I work with and continue being listed on that website.

sr254
2/22/16

Airbnb doesn't care about your safety or you vacation. They just want money. I had a terrible experience with them. We couldn't get into the place we booked and it was late at night. They told us to find a hotel and they would pay for the cab. After searching for a hotel until 2am we found one. They then wanted us to spend a day of our 3 day vacation trying to use another airbnb place and if it didn't pan out we were on our own. So we made the decision to enjoy the rest of our vacation since we already lost 1/2 a day because of them and stay at the hotel. We asked that they pay for 2 night, they renegged on everything. I had to ask that the phone calls be pulled. 18 emails later they paid for one night at the hotel and took my $250 credit. Then they locked me out of the account and said they will not engage me, that they didn't provide good customer service and they are sorry for that but this matter is closed and they will not speak further to me. I called back and got a rep who was stoned. I wanted a name in someone is corporate to discuss this customer service as they protect each other. He wouldn't give me one. I eventually found a name but it didn't matter. I mailed in letter about what happened and copies of the emails...no response. I would not recommend using airbnb. If something goes wrong you're screwed.

2 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

65 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Airbnb staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the Airbnb staff and other customers.

13 Photos for Airbnb