US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jenb15

After working with customer service via email, they refunded my money. (in 10 reviews)

dm19

That's obvious because the seller and the city and state they're located in is plainly stated. (in 37 reviews)

robinj10

Additionally, I have been able to get out-of-print books on several occasions, at low prices. (in 3 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

bradyb22
2/2/16

Ordered my book using expedite shipping and what do you know, I got it within 3 days just in time to complete my homework assignment! I'm glad I chose to go with Abe's books!

kathleenw16
2/2/16

I was on SiteJabber to review a site I am disgusted with, and ran into AbeBook reviews. I was shocked at the number of one star reviews. I have used AbeBooks for several years now and have ordered dozen and dozens of books. I shop several sites before going to AbeBooks so I know what the current prices are, and almost always end up purchasing from AbeBooks if a used book will fit the bill. I mostly order children's books (I'm a teacher) and I have never been disappointed. The condition has been true to the description. Sometimes I get library bound books and that is a bonus. The vast majority of books are less than four dollars with free shipping, when other online sites have new copies for ten to 16 dollars with additional shipping- I can't beat the price. I know the satisfaction with the sale depends on the actual seller, but I haven't come across a bad one yet. I have also purchased paperback books for myself for pleasure reading- fiction, memoir, humor, scifi, and all have been fine. It seems a lot of the bad reviews are for textbooks and books needed in very quick time, so maybe that is part of the issue. I recommend you give AbeBooks sellers a try if you wish to save big dollars on book purchases- it's worth trying them once on an inexpensive book just for the savings, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I hate to think bad reviews might have stopped me from finding such a great source for the many books I need. AbeBooks is a go-to for me.

janec78
2/2/16

I ordered a textbook from them which took over a month to be delivered, and I had to buy a replacement before I ever received it. Was trying to save money, ended up paying double. I thought, surely I can't blame the shipping time on the seller, right? So, I ordered another book the following semester. Same story. Now they won't refund my money, even though I followed all the instructions when returning the book, and they received it. Never. Again.

tiffanih3
1/29/16

I was so skeptical about ordering from this site at first, especially after I read the reviews & seeing how cheap everything was! But I needed 2 more books for Medical School and they were just $15, what did I have to loose?! They came in, before the expected date and they were in PERFECT condition!! The books didn't have a scratch on them and the workbook wasn't wrote it at all! I will definetly be ordering from here more often

janetg26
1/29/16

Ordered a text book for college daughter and paid extra for rush delivery. Tracking info showed that book seller DID NOT PAY FOR EXPIDITEDED service with US postal service. After 4 business day US postal service indicated that they could not locate package and as no expedited service was paid for they would not consider it an issue until 30 days. Both Abe books and book seller unresponsive. My bank via visa protection services has filed a complaint. Charges taken by Abe books even before shipping $87.

sabitas
1/24/16

worst experience .. don't use this website

donnag52
1/22/16

I ordered book on Jan 4th with a 10-14 day delivery. They arrived way too late and I had to buy another set and now they won't take them back and won't even buy them back. I am out over $150. Everyone stay away from this outfit, use Amazon instead!!

lh37
1/19/16

I ordered a book on Jan. 8th paid an extra $6.99 to get it delivered in 4 days. I may not be a math wiz but it is well past 4 days. Ironically it is a stats book.

zoris
1/18/16

I was a bit in doubt whether they will deliver the book I had ordered but everything went perfect! Even though I live in a small town in Bulgaria the order came to here. It was late so I started corresponding with them and I was so delighted they were responding me in the same day and book finally was in my hands.

bronteb
1/12/16

"ExtremelyReliable" company- The book did not come in the time frame they said it would- even though I paid extra for shipping. I had to buy a book from another company to have it in time for school (it was way cheaper from someone else I found out). They refused to refund until they got the book back, but shipping back to their business was $40 (about the same as the price of the book). So I had to keep the book (now I have 2 copies) and just swallow the $44 I paid for it in the first place. Just know that it wont ship as soon as they say and you should be fine. And if you're in the US- there are probably cheaper ways to get the book. Also there is no place for reviews on their website- so new customers cannot be warned.

perlal1
1/12/16

I only ordered from AbeBooks because I couldn't find a better price any where else. Of course, this was too good to be true. The price marked was $40 something but my card was only charged $4.99??? I thought maybe it was a mistake and they will charge more to my account later. This morning I log in to check my order and it says it has been "refunded." They didn't even bother to send me an email to let me know and I haven't received this "refund" yet.

vikramg2
12/18/15

1. They are through professionals.
2. They deliver the articles bang on time.
3. They deliver what hey project.
4. Easy to use website.
5. Oceans of books
6. great going .. Keep it

lindah127
12/15/15

They described the condition as "clean" on their website. When I got the book it was quite used. Lots of mark ups. The receipt enclosed described the condition as "fair." For what I paid, I deserved better. Amazon had fair condition copies of the book 25.00 cheaper.

suzannec19
12/11/15

They never sent the book that I ordered and paid for; furthermore, after I contacted them and complained, they never sent me the refund they promised for non-delivery. I wrote them again several times and got zero response. Hands-down, the worst experience I have ever had buying online.

tomw96
12/10/15

Abe Books is not a bookseller per se but instead an Internet umbrella organization linking many independent booksellers. If you have any problems whatsoever, Abe Books will only direct you to deal with the underlying or networked bookseller you purchased from. In my case, I ordered a book and paid for the "priority" shipping. Book never arrived and upon contacting the bookseller, was told they had no way of tracking it! Again, Abe Books would not help, they only direct you back to the actual seller. Will never use Abe Books again. Am still trying to get a refund....

annam136
11/25/15

After my experience with AbeBooks, I have closed my account with them. A book I have been searching for for a long time came up in my AbeBooks alerts for a very good price with a reasonable shipping rate (too good to be true!), so I ordered it right away. The seller had a 4 star rating, so I had no reason to worry. I received my order confirmation, which I assumed meant that I had purchased the book. Stupid me, because I hadn't read AbeBooks' terms thoroughly and I hadn't read reviews on the company. I started getting slightly worried when, after about two days, I hadn't received a shipment notice. Finally, I received a message from AbeBooks, but it was a request for more money. Instead of the US$10.95 shipping rate listed, the seller now wanted over US$40 for shipping! This is apparently because the book needed to be shipped as a parcel. I might have been ok with a slight shipping rate adjustment, but quadrupling the rate was not acceptable so I rejected the request right away. This time I didn't hear anything from AbeBooks for 4 days. While I was waiting, the same book coincidentally came up on an auction site as a BIN for a reasonable price, but I didn't purchase it because I didn't want to buy the same book twice. Again, foolish me. Finally, after 4 days, I received an automated message from AbeBooks saying my order had been cancelled because the seller hadn't processed it within the required time period of 96 hours. Of course, by this point the book on the auction site had sold.

I sent a message to customer service just to let them know that I was disappointed that AbeBooks allows such practices and that I had lost my confidence in purchasing through them. I received a response that basically said that sellers on AbeBooks are perfectly within their rights to request more money for shipping, taxes or tracking/signature confirmations after a purchase, and can cancel orders if they choose to. They told me that AbeBooks' system only allows sellers to set one shipping rate (for a book that is 1 kg or 2.2 lb), so sellers can request more money for larger books after the fact. I wrote back saying that I understand that this practice is theoretically allowed under AbeBooks' policies, but that it undermines the trust that customers have in AbeBooks and their sellers. I suggested that AbeBooks should really consider developing tiered/variable shipping for their sellers (which almost all e-commerce platforms on the planet come with). And in the meantime while they only have the capability to set one shipping rate, sellers should be encouraged to set a rate that is middle of the road - they make money on shipping sometimes and lose money on shipping at other times, and it all evens out. That certainly beats trying to quadruple a shipping rate after the fact, which is likely to make any customer miffed. It's not as though the book I tried to purchase was outrageously sized - it's an average non-fiction hardcover that's 10" x 12" and weighs under 2 kg. After I sent this message, I received a response from AbeBooks that was truly irritating: "I am afraid we do not ask this of sellers as we cannot expect them to price packages for all of their inventory for all weights to all countries in the world." I'm sorry, did I ask that sellers set individual shipping rates for every single combination of package of every weight to all countries in the world? No. I suggested that they develop tiered or variable shipping for their sellers - similar to the weight-based shipping rates that any modern e-commerce platform allows; or encourage sellers to set an average flat shipping rate that balances out how much they gain and lose on shipping. Quadrupling a shipping rate on a customer after they purchase a slightly oversized book just shouldn't happen. The only saving grace is that my credit card wasn't charged for this so-called order, and I don't have to pursue a refund.

In any case, I don't have time to waste searching AbeBooks or going through their match notifications if orders I place with them aren't guaranteed to actually be processed. I'll stick to searching for used books at local bookshops or on the usual auction sites (which I find unpleasant and normally stay away from, so that says a lot about my opinion of AbeBooks!). At least then I know that when I find a book and buy it, it will actually be coming home with me! My account with AbeBooks is now closed and I am done with them.

tinag35
10/11/15

I ordered a book a month and a half ago. I never received it. I have e-mailed Abe books several times and have yet to get a response. I've accepted the fact that I'm just out of my money and a book

brittanyt13
10/6/15

I sent them two books the only sent a check for one. I put both of them in the same box and they are claiming I never shipped the book and have yet to get back to me.

stephenb90
10/4/15

Abe books is one to the few web sites that truly delivers. I am a teacher and I hate to see my students shell out oodles of money to greedy book publishers if they can get the same books for a fraction of the cost. Abe books has never let us down and I have been a customer of theirs for maybe 10 years. Never had an issue with them and they continually surprise me. I'm sure that one could go to Amazon or another web site and get a book that is closer to what you began looking for, but Abe will give you a newer edition or one that has a few scribbles in it for only a few dollars. As I am cheapskate, Abe will always get my business. I give them a 10 out of 10.

lazaviac
10/3/15

I bought two books one still in progress and the other was mailed to my door in four days. I expected the book to come but not that early. I ordered the book in used but great condition and it was just as described. I was a little worried buying from them because of all the bad reviews. Sometimes you just got to go for it and hope you don't have the same bad experiences. Thank you! I'm satified

dianal26
10/2/15

I have purchased from AbeBooks in the past with no problems. This time, however, I ordered two of the same French workbooks, both described as very good. One came pretty quickly and was indeed in very good condition. The second one just came today, a week later, and I would have classified it otherwise. There is writing throughout the workbook. For me to use the workbook while learning the language, I would have wanted it to not have all the answers already written in the book. Fortunately, 90% is in pencil, so I may be able to erase, but it will be a pain to erase on 300+ pages!!!

mariahn
9/30/15

I ordered two books for medical administrative assistant classes and first time I ordered them I was refunded my money back by Abebooks for one book probably because the seller didn't have it. I was sent an e-mail stating that I was refunded the same day. Luckily I was able to find the same book for a little cheaper. Both books shipped very fast definitely less time than was estimated. Only thing that bothered me was that I was not given any tracking numbers to track my books but that didnt seem like much of a problem since they came so quickly. I don't really have any bad to say about this website.

janetb46
9/29/15

order no 97512403 ordered 20/8/15 the definitive biography of level 42 by michael cowton. still not been delivered. what has happened to my book. you took my money on 24/8/15

kevinc104
9/28/15

The Legend of Tallow Manor is an entertaining tale based on the romance between Benjamin Rawlings and Elizabeth Gatcombe. This childhood romance blossomed at Tallow Manor in Britain. Elizabeth was from a family of high ranking and Benjamin was the son of the farrier. They literally bumped into each other as children running around the grounds. They immediately liked each other’s company. Elizabeth was having a party and personally invited Benjamin to attend. At the party, Benjamin stood up for Elizabeth when she was insulted by another boy, Grant. Unfortunately, Benjamin got beaten up by Grant and his allies. Elizabeth and Benjamin were then separated. They vowed to never forget each other. Elizabeth was sent to Italy to complete her education. They were later reunited as adults. This time around, Benjamin was the owner of Tallow Manor. As a true gentleman, he offered Elizabeth her old home back as a gift.
The Legacy of Tallow Manor is quite intriguing. It spans a few continents as the main characters were physically poles apart in their adult years. I love the fact that author Terence. J. Goodchild was able to trace the issues of war and slavery in a tasteful manner. The contrast between the genteel, aristocratic life and the working class is quite dramatic. This clearly indicates that life can be truly unpredictable. The ironic twist whereby the two main characters switched positions in their social standing is proof of the creative genius of the author. I also appreciate the plot within the plot feature in this story. The language is semi-formal which reflects the Elizabethan (pun intended) time period of the novel. I enjoyed the extra twists in the plot in terms of the true family heritage of the heroine. The language used is both colloquial and formal as the book encompasses personalities from different social strata. In essence, this novel makes you wish that you could find the type of enduring love that the two main characters share. This book is truly a wonderful read!

gregv6
9/27/15

YOU GUYS & GALS AT ABE~BOOKS ARE AWSOME,

AND IM GOING TO BUY A BOOK MOMENTARILY!

IV ALWAYS FOUND WHAT I NEED AT A GREAT PRICE AND DELIVERY IS QUICK.

patb62
9/25/15

I ordered a used guitar book in May. I waited the whole summer. I almost forgot that I ordered the book. I checked my Abebooks account and they said it had been shipped. It never arrived and I have not found a way to contact them that they will respond to.
How do I know it wasn't delivered. I am a teacher who gets summers off. I spent the entire summer restoring my son's car in my front yard. Every day in the front yard, all day long. I received plenty of car parts throughout the summer, but no book was delivered. That is why I nearly forgot about the book. When I got back into my school routine at the end of summer, I remembered ordering the book.
I did not look at Abebooks reviews prior to ordering. Big mistake. I so seldom get ripped off by anybody I order from, I let my guard down. I suspect that their business plan is to be as slippery as possible and most people will just give up and Abebooks wins again. That is a 100% profit plan. Too bad it's theft!
Pat B.

roya220
9/13/15

dont do business with AbeBook they refuse to take an order without making an account and they lie and say thats the only way that its possible

Tip for consumers: STAY AWAY

ermalh
9/10/15

Living in Europe I've received only 50% of my orders (3/6) from USA. I don't know if this has happened because I have chosen books with very low shipping charges. They did refund the money. This site would have been wonderful if all the books actually arrived because they came as described (usually good to minimal use for many very cheap options), but anyway it has been a sort of gambling to me.

ta4667
9/9/15

Deceptive sellers and non-existent support - that's what AbeBooks is all about.

It's hard to know if this is by design or if it's just amateur hour in Victoria, BC, CANADA. Either way, it's not good. There's no way of knowing who you're buying from, or where the books are shipping from. Judging by the reviews, it's obvious that seller and book information is often misrepresented, and AbeBooks does nothing about it.

Their claims that books ship directly from the listed bookseller are patently false. I ordered a "good condition, clean book with light amount of wear" from a seller in Lewiston, NY, which took 2 weeks to arrive. During that time, the seller's profile switched from Lewiston, NY to Richmond Hill, Ontario, then back to Lewiston, NY, in an obvious attempt to fool customers into thinking they're transacting within their own borders.

When the book finally arrived, from FRANCE, it was at least 50 years old, tattered, had writing and underlining all throughout, and was so mildewed that I had to pick it up with salad tongs. It had no ISBN as advertised, probably because it pre-dated that system, which made it impossible to verify it was the correct version.

Do yourself a favor: BUY FROM AMAZON, where you'll never be subjected to any of this.

annem57
9/8/15

I have been dealing with Abebooks for many years and am happy to say I have had no bad experiences. Although it seems there are more bad reviews than good ones I don't think this is a realistic indication of their business. Abebooks must sell thousands of books through hundreds (if not thousands) of sellers. Those with bad experiences are more likely to write a review than someone who is happy with their purchase. I would recommend that you don't be put off by bad reviews of this Company. Just a drop in the ocean in my opinion.

amandak27
8/26/15

I was looking for a book that is no longer published for my daughter. It's her favorite book and considering she is only 2, it is nearly ruined. I was lucky enough to find it on AbeBooks. I was nervous about ordering considering the bad reviews, but it came! I am so happy I decided to just take a chance.

yolandad7
8/25/15

I ordered a book online. They informed me that delivery could not take place...then said they will give me full refund but forgot about the shipping fee that they received...Stay away people. Really!

joen29
8/22/15

Abe books sucks. I should NOT have ordered my books without looking at the reviews first. Lesson learned.

annoyedd1
8/17/15

Basically ordered a book in "international" edition listed by edition number.
Received an "international" edition book NOT designated by edition number and rewritten and edited.
Abebooks and the agent or reseller made it incredibly difficult to return an incorrectly sent textbook back at my expense.
Instead of answering my questions, they routinely reply with selective statements ignoring my actual question.
I will never purchase from them again and will actively discourage every person I know not to either.

tylerd18
8/9/15

These people can't seem to list books under the correct ISBN. I ordered books which I thought had the correct ISBN, only to find out that it was completely different from what I had ordered. When I requested a refund/return, they tell me that it's my fault. To add to that, they cancel one of my textbook orders because someone else had already ordered it? Hello!? Why was it listed if it was already sold!?

In short: Look elsewhere for books. Abe Books is scum, parading around acting like they're reliable and trustworthy, when they can't make a user-friendly interface/DECENT CUSTOMER SUPPORT even if they tried.

rogerb52
7/28/15

Ordered and paid for book 25 April from Nomade Books (France) via AB. Website listed it as shipped, delivery 8 June. No book. Waited until end June, then started asking questions. Turns out book had not been shipped, bookseller didn't even have it. AB told me I wasn't eligible for refund as it was more than 30 days after order. More questions, no answers, just a very quick refund (unasked) to send me on my way.

janets39
7/26/15

This is a fantastic site to find any book you are looking for. I've found older books that are hard to find ANYWHERE! Some of the books i have found overseas in UK, or other countries. They have history, novels, textbooks, anything you can think of to read, which is really great for me because i am an avid reader. I would recommend this site to everyone who can't find a particular book they have been searching for. Their prices are very reasonable, and when I didn't receive a book on time, the book store selling the item always went out of their way to send a replacement. They handle the customers very well.

marks256
7/24/15

Bought a book on Abebooks from CIMELIO BOOKS Portugal. Condition of the book was described as "good" on Abebooks. After receiving the book it appeared that the condition was very poor. Dog ears on all the pages, every page heavily spotted with brown spots. Many pages written on. Spine very loose. This bookseller has been on Abebooks for over 10 years and has more than 23.000 (!) books for on sale at Abebooks. So this is a very, very experienced seller. Actual postage was Euro 1,45. Shipping charged: Euro 12,00. More than 10 times the actual postage. In total I paid 37 Euro ($40) for a worthless piece of junk. Then I tried to settle with Cimelio Books. I asked a partial refund because shipping back gives new troubles (seller claiming item not received back and additional postage costs for me). He offered me 7.50 euro back. No more. I agreed but he never paid the money back and ignored all my e-mails reminding him. There is no easy way to get the money (partially) back directly from Abebooks. Stay away from this particular seller. He is misleading honest buyers like you and me. And Abebooks protection for this kind of malpractice is a travesty.

donnah50
6/30/15

I order a lot of books, sometimes one at a time, and sometimes a dozen at a time. AbeBooks has been the perfect clearinghouse for getting the best price and the best quality for the money. I especially appreciate that they stand behind what they sell. I have had to request a refund on occasion, and each time the process has been smooth and easy. AbeBooks is one of my favorite sites, and I shop there often.

jackm115
6/19/15

I have visited your business.It looks good and you've a good collection of books..The site really attracted me with the good collection of books.you have some exciting features which will attract the customers.You can post your educational products say your books collection in edubilla.com for free...

destinye2
5/20/15

If your book is damaged during shipping, they will not accept the book and you will have to pay to get your book back. Also, my boyfriend ordered a book from them and never got it. I should have known better than to use this company. They are awful.

hugop15
5/13/15

I ordered a book from this company and I never got it. I kept inquiring in it and they kept sending the same template response. I told them I wanted my money back and they just kept sending the same response. I lost my money and time with this fraudulent company that is scamming people for their money. They must make lots of money charging people and not giving people nothing in return.

bryant218
5/6/15

Advertised book as new and it was obviously heavily used. Took almost a month to arrive.
DONT USE THIS COMPANY!!

vicis
4/15/15

I don't remember the last time I received such bad product and service from a company. I ordered to two posters that arrived bent. When I asked to have them exchanged it took forever to get the address to send them back to. I sent them back via a trackable method on February 4th, it's April 15th and it's still not resolved. They just keep asking me the same questions to give me the run around. I will never buy anything from this company again. I gave them a ranking of 1 star because there wasn't anything less to choose from.

raulq1
4/10/15

I order two times from this website, the first one arrived 2 weeks late, the second one never arrived. The placed the second order on March 17 that was supposed to arrive on April 3, it did not, I contact them, then they told me the 9th, I did not, they keep changing the date. When I said I wanted my money back, they told me that I have to wait 8 days from April 10 (the last day they said the book was going to arrive to ask for a refund). So, they will keep changing the dates so you never get your money back. Think a lot before using this service, is cheap? well, when you paid for something you need now and arrive (if it arrives) after you finish the class, do you think it was cheap?

melaniej7
3/27/15

Let me start by saying that my only experience buying from AbeBooks' site was great. I live in the US and purchased the Australian edition of The Book Thief from Manyhills Books. The price was decent, even after international shipping fees, and the book arrived over a month before the deadline, and it's in great shape. If I were allowed to rate the seller, I would give Manyhills Books 5 stars. However, AbeBooks itself gets two stars for the reason that you CAN'T rate the booksellers.

The rating system on this site is based solely on order fulfillment (how quickly it arrived, that sort of thing) and it's rated automatically. If you had any problems with the delivery or the product itself, you can't write a review to warn other customers. So while a seller may look reputable because of their 5 star rating, there's no way of knowing if they actually deserve that rating. Their books may arrive on time but come in unusable shape—or be a completely different item than what you ordered—and they'd still receive a 5 star rating from the system. The rating system is extremely deceptive, making ordering from this site very risky.

Despite my own great experience with purchasing from AbeBooks, I would not recommend using them. It's a gamble, as you could either have a great experience or a nightmarish experience, as you can tell from all the bad reviews. Unless you're willing to take the risk, avoid AbeBooks and try to find your books elsewhere.

mikel188
3/18/15

Then after you pay they tell you it MIGHT get there in a month. Tried to cancel and they said it is too late. Part of me wants to fight them, and contest the charge with VISA, showing the evidence of how they bait and switch. Since the book as not as critical as normal for my work, I'll bite the bullet this time. BUT NEVER AGAIN. Adieu, or actually, au diable, to AssBooks, I mean AbeBooks.

toddf13
2/10/15

Sent wrong book. Had issue with refunding my money. Can't call them. No one seems to speak English very well as evident in their e-mail correspondence.

Tip for consumers: Don't expect to ever talk to a real person.

cynthiak6
2/2/15

There are several places to choose from to buy used books. AbeBooks is the easiest, best-organized and most trustworthy of the companies I have dealt with. Type in the name of your book and/or author in the search box and you'll get a list of holdings from least to most expensive. Except for payment (they can keep your credit card on file for one-click checkout, which I love), that's where AbeBook's responsibility ends. Your mission is to decide which book is priced correctly and in the condition or format that pleases you most, and whether or not the vendor offering it is reliable.

If you have a problem with your purchase, you can complain to AbeBooks or directly to the vendor. I have received refunds or replacements on the few occasions I was unhappy. Most of the time, however, booksellers are true believers in the printed word, and will be honorable. Each vendor is rated from one to five stars, and you can restrict your search to the highest-rated sellers.

Once in awhile, you may find better deals elsewhere; otherwise, you will discover that the the same sellers also advertise the same merchandise on various other book sites. AbeBooks wins my vote because I've bought about a thousand books from them over the years, and I still have most of them.

garyc46
12/27/14

I ordered a book through AbeBooks and there supplier sent the wrong book. I then contacted AbeBooks and they in turn contacted the supplier to send me the correct book. The supplier wanted me to return the incorrect book before they would do anything. I then contacted AbeBooks and again then went to bate for me contacting the supplier and when the supplier didn't get back to them AbeBooks refunded my complete order including the shipping. I would recommend AbeBooks and would deal with them again.

P.S The supplier (Paperback Books) has since sent me an e-mail stating that they have resent the correct book so I am waiting to see if I receive it and if all goes well I will return the wrong book they sent and contact AbeBooks and have then recharge my account.

7 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the AbeBooks staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question