US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jenb15

After working with customer service via email, they refunded my money. (in 14 reviews)

dm19

That's obvious because the seller and the city and state they're located in is plainly stated. (in 47 reviews)

maribelz1

Love the customer service here and all information they gave me about the book, including delivery date was correct ! (in 4 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

saran43
5/24/16

Just don't use them. Their supplier gave me a delivery date of 2-4 working days. it's now over a week and nothing....expect cut and paste apologies and eventually a refund. If I had wanted the money, I would haven't ordered the book in the first place.
Complete waste of time

maribelz1
5/22/16

pacorink
5/17/16

Ordered two books on April 13 and today May 17 there is no sign of my books. Estimated arrival date was May 11 but it did not arrive and nobody contact me for the delay. I ordered these books for my course which started in the beginning of the May. Here I am third week of my course without required books because I thought they will deliver them within 15 to 21 business days as they are promoting. If you are not living in US or Canada don't bother to order any book from them.

robertd205
5/10/16

customer service is great on text, but no delivery, would be scared or lets put it this way i would never order from this company again, seems like a scam
robert dirnfeld
roby855@yahoo.com

jessicaj30
5/7/16

What used to be a decent company to go through has become so sketchy I've stopped spending money through their site. I find the sellers on any other marketplace that will protect my purchase. In the last several months, I've placed several orders. The ones I've had issues with started to bring to light some unsavory new policies. In one instance, I received a book with water damage. Pictures were sent to the seller with a request for a return shipping label. The seller did not respond. I emailed Abebooks and they said they would contact the seller and, in the meantime, they initiated a return for me. What you have to read the fine print for is that they will not guarantee you reimbursement of the return shipping costs. Bottom line is I will be out money for a book that was not in the advertised condition. Hm. That's not quite right. They used to reimburse return shipping. Not anymore. In another instance, I was shipped three copies of an illegally produced book direct from India. I pointed this out to Abebooks, but they responded that they have to have pictures of the books. The books LOOK identical to the original with the exception that 40 or so pages were UPSIDE DOWN. I emailed them back and they said they couldn't see how this made the book a fraudulent copy and refused a return. Hm. Yeah. Now I won't work with them anymore, which will cost them about $150,000 in sales a year. Whoops.

garyh122
5/4/16

I ordered a book recently, it was received promptly and exactly as described. Wonderful highly recommend.

ellene8
4/26/16

I ordered a book on April 18th, paid the extra for 3-5 day arrival. Waited a week, no updates on the tracking. I finally contacted Ebooksweb for help, since the confirmation email went through them. They contacted Abe Books, who replied stating to wait 2 more days, that the book shipped. Today was the 2 more days, I am leaving in the morning to fly to NY for my first grandchild's baby shower, and surprise, surprise, no book. Tracking shows that they FINALLY shipped it on 4/25. This book was to be a special surprise for my daughter and the baby, since it was my sons favorite when he was little, he knew it by heart by the time he was 4. The baby is to be named after him since we lost him in an accident 6 years ago. Way to ruin the baby shower and surprise Abe Books. Trust me, I will tell everyone I know to stay away.

Tip for consumers: FIND ANOTHER SITE!!! DO NOT ORDER - I have the emails where they blatantly lied about shipping the book. DO NOT pay extra for shipping, they will not honor it.

nw36
4/26/16

I never received item, I asked for refund numerous times and was denied. Great site to rip people off on if your a seller. Very dishonest company, no tracking provided, no refund. Price may be cheaper here but do not risk it.

ruthr35
4/18/16

I have bought dozens of books from AbeBooks. Some sellers are wonderful, most are just fine, but a few are fraudulent. Unfortunately, there is no way to leave a review to help others sort the good from the bad. They do have star ratings showing percentage of sales without returns. However, this leaves one in a position of paying to return a poor quality book to be resold to some other unsuspecting book buyer in order to make sure the seller's star rating is impacted, or tossing the book thus leaving the next buyer having no idea that the seller is misrepresenting their merchandise.

fadzlans
4/12/16

I've been using Abebooks for years now. Keep getting good deals now and then. So far there's no serious issue on my purchases.

dimitriosm3
4/9/16

I was really suspicious before actually ordering from AbeBooks. The prices seemed too good to be true, and the site had so many bad reviews.
Yet I decided to go for it, and my order was delivered to me in about a week.The book was in excellent condition.

melodyb5
4/4/16

I have used Abe Books countless times. Their prices are very fair, the stated condition of books is accurate, and many of the sellers have free shipping (I HATE paying for shipping). I have eight to ten sellers I order from on a consistent (probably too often if you ask my husband :)) basis. Abe is a cheaper alternative to Amazon (which I love as well) if you are in the market for used books.

Tip for consumers: Be sure to go through EBates as well for cash back opportunities.

jeanp40
3/31/16

I have been going back and forth with them for over a week. I ordered a book, everything looked like it went through, then 15 mins later the transaction was cancelled, so I tried again with another seller, 15 minutes later it was cancelled again, so I figured third time the charm again, they cancelled them. I checked the bank card, no problem, the amount never went through.. but the card was good I use all the time without a hiccup. So emailed my disgust to customer services, and they apologized said the seller did it, but the email said they did. So they gave be a $15 discount code, so I tried today. Couldn't put the code in anywhere. So I emailed them saying what the heck is going on, so I get this email that says they put in and I should my discount (which now has become 2.20 (what?). So I logged on and there is nothing, no discount no nothing, just what I owe as before. So I give up. This is totally rip off and waste of time. I few years ago, bought a book, because the price was good, but it was torn and sent in cheap packaging. Ive' learn my lesson, I WILL NOT BUY FROM THEM, alibris is much better... Shop at your own risk.

dans87
3/21/16

Before we even ordered a book from "ABE" we wrote asking where our particular book would be shipped from and were told New York. The crappy book was mailed from a person in South Carolina in a plain manila envelope without dust jacket and when we complained and asked for a refund for this "100% guaranteed" purchase we were directed TO MAIL IT TO CANADA before any refund LESS POSTAGE. You can NOT speak to a person AT ABE - be warned - YOU WILL BE SCAMMED!

cindyl59
3/10/16

I have ordered several times from Abe Book and most of the time the books are shipped for free which is a $3.99 saving over Amazon and the books are cheaper. Shipping usually takes up to a week but I expect this and don't get my panties in a wad. I have gotten first editions and signed copies at a very reasonable price and they rate the bookseller so I will keep ordering through them.

jiachangs
3/10/16

I ordered a book on abebooks.com, I have received the book today, but it is a wrong book, and these are the pictures. http://postimg.org/gallery/2bejn5ju4/e62990c3/
The book I ordered should be this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935639668?keywords=9781935639664&qid=1457508290&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

The bookseller is:
RS Deals
vergobooks@gmail.com

The bookseller said it is right book and it is the International edition.

natarshas
3/8/16

I ordered a book from a seller who claimed to be in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The book arrived from Malaysia and without a Tax Invoice which is required for any sale in Australia. When I requested a Tax Invoice the seller had no idea what I was talking about. When I contacted Abebooks about this they told me I must be been confused as Abebooks is based in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. I am not and was never confused. Multiple emails have gone back and forward between myself and Abebooks without resolution.

Tip for consumers: Pay the extra money to use a bookstore, even if it's online.

pauls9
2/23/16

ABE Books is a marketplace for vendors. The problem is that ABE Books accepts all vendors, honest and dishonest alike. You should research any vendor on an independent site, like Google, Yelp, or SiteJabber before placing any order. ABE Books is honest but many vendors are not. I have used ABE Books for years and I have been cheated about 15% of the time, not by ABE books but by the vendor. However, ABE Books will NOT help you if you are cheated by one of its vendors. Do your homework first.

male42
2/23/16

I ordered books from AbeBooks several times and each time the books came way before the expected delivery date. Not to mention the books are really cheap , which is an added bonus for this struggling Uni student trying to make ends meet.

jamesj136
2/20/16

I ordered a book for my son's college math class and it never came. I paid expedited shipping for the book that was supposed to be delivered in 4-6 days. When it didn't come after three weeks I inquired and was told the book was "lost in shipping". AbeBooks said they would resend immediately. It has not been another 12 days and NO BOOK. Stay Away from this website, they are not reliable.

paulab39
2/19/16

Order never arrived. No tracking information ever provided. No reply from customer service. At least I did get a refund. Wasted two weeks waiting for a book that never came.

timothys47
2/16/16

I have ordered dozens of books from AbeBooks over the past several years, and the majority of the time the books arrive promptly, and in better condition than expected. Do take note that there are many sellers on AbeBooks, and not all of them are the best, but it isn't a problem with AbeBooks.

justinh78
2/12/16

I was nervous to order anything from Abebooks because of all the bad reviews I've read, but I decided to take a chance. I ordered from Silver Arch Books and had no problems at all. My order got here in less than a week, and the books were in the condition as described. The only weird thing that happened was it said my order was coming from St. Louis, MO but my order was shipped from the Chicago area.

The prices are great, and the free shipping was nice.

I will probably order from them again in the future.

robertav2
2/11/16

Ordere a book and payed $20 plus $10 for express shipping. Got here in 4 days. Perfect conditions, and in the store the book was $170.00 plus tax!

arickal
2/8/16

If I was able to give it a zero star rating I would. I order my book 31 days ago and it was supposed to be here in 8-14 business days but I still haven't received it. STAY AWAY from this website!

bradyb22
2/2/16

Ordered my book using expedite shipping and what do you know, I got it within 3 days just in time to complete my homework assignment! I'm glad I chose to go with Abe's books!

kathleenw16
2/2/16

I was on SiteJabber to review a site I am disgusted with, and ran into AbeBook reviews. I was shocked at the number of one star reviews. I have used AbeBooks for several years now and have ordered dozen and dozens of books. I shop several sites before going to AbeBooks so I know what the current prices are, and almost always end up purchasing from AbeBooks if a used book will fit the bill. I mostly order children's books (I'm a teacher) and I have never been disappointed. The condition has been true to the description. Sometimes I get library bound books and that is a bonus. The vast majority of books are less than four dollars with free shipping, when other online sites have new copies for ten to 16 dollars with additional shipping- I can't beat the price. I know the satisfaction with the sale depends on the actual seller, but I haven't come across a bad one yet. I have also purchased paperback books for myself for pleasure reading- fiction, memoir, humor, scifi, and all have been fine. It seems a lot of the bad reviews are for textbooks and books needed in very quick time, so maybe that is part of the issue. I recommend you give AbeBooks sellers a try if you wish to save big dollars on book purchases- it's worth trying them once on an inexpensive book just for the savings, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I hate to think bad reviews might have stopped me from finding such a great source for the many books I need. AbeBooks is a go-to for me.

janec78
2/2/16

I ordered a textbook from them which took over a month to be delivered, and I had to buy a replacement before I ever received it. Was trying to save money, ended up paying double. I thought, surely I can't blame the shipping time on the seller, right? So, I ordered another book the following semester. Same story. Now they won't refund my money, even though I followed all the instructions when returning the book, and they received it. Never. Again.

tiffanih3
1/29/16

I was so skeptical about ordering from this site at first, especially after I read the reviews & seeing how cheap everything was! But I needed 2 more books for Medical School and they were just $15, what did I have to loose?! They came in, before the expected date and they were in PERFECT condition!! The books didn't have a scratch on them and the workbook wasn't wrote it at all! I will definetly be ordering from here more often

janetg26
1/29/16

Ordered a text book for college daughter and paid extra for rush delivery. Tracking info showed that book seller DID NOT PAY FOR EXPIDITEDED service with US postal service. After 4 business day US postal service indicated that they could not locate package and as no expedited service was paid for they would not consider it an issue until 30 days. Both Abe books and book seller unresponsive. My bank via visa protection services has filed a complaint. Charges taken by Abe books even before shipping $87.

sabitas
1/24/16

worst experience .. don't use this website

donnag52
1/22/16

I ordered book on Jan 4th with a 10-14 day delivery. They arrived way too late and I had to buy another set and now they won't take them back and won't even buy them back. I am out over $150. Everyone stay away from this outfit, use Amazon instead!!

lh37
1/19/16

I ordered a book on Jan. 8th paid an extra $6.99 to get it delivered in 4 days. I may not be a math wiz but it is well past 4 days. Ironically it is a stats book.

zoris
1/18/16

I was a bit in doubt whether they will deliver the book I had ordered but everything went perfect! Even though I live in a small town in Bulgaria the order came to here. It was late so I started corresponding with them and I was so delighted they were responding me in the same day and book finally was in my hands.

bronteb
1/12/16

"ExtremelyReliable" company- The book did not come in the time frame they said it would- even though I paid extra for shipping. I had to buy a book from another company to have it in time for school (it was way cheaper from someone else I found out). They refused to refund until they got the book back, but shipping back to their business was $40 (about the same as the price of the book). So I had to keep the book (now I have 2 copies) and just swallow the $44 I paid for it in the first place. Just know that it wont ship as soon as they say and you should be fine. And if you're in the US- there are probably cheaper ways to get the book. Also there is no place for reviews on their website- so new customers cannot be warned.

perlal1
1/12/16

I only ordered from AbeBooks because I couldn't find a better price any where else. Of course, this was too good to be true. The price marked was $40 something but my card was only charged $4.99??? I thought maybe it was a mistake and they will charge more to my account later. This morning I log in to check my order and it says it has been "refunded." They didn't even bother to send me an email to let me know and I haven't received this "refund" yet.

vikramg2
12/18/15

1. They are through professionals.
2. They deliver the articles bang on time.
3. They deliver what hey project.
4. Easy to use website.
5. Oceans of books
6. great going .. Keep it

lindah127
12/15/15

They described the condition as "clean" on their website. When I got the book it was quite used. Lots of mark ups. The receipt enclosed described the condition as "fair." For what I paid, I deserved better. Amazon had fair condition copies of the book 25.00 cheaper.

suzannec19
12/11/15

They never sent the book that I ordered and paid for; furthermore, after I contacted them and complained, they never sent me the refund they promised for non-delivery. I wrote them again several times and got zero response. Hands-down, the worst experience I have ever had buying online.

tomw96
12/10/15

Abe Books is not a bookseller per se but instead an Internet umbrella organization linking many independent booksellers. If you have any problems whatsoever, Abe Books will only direct you to deal with the underlying or networked bookseller you purchased from. In my case, I ordered a book and paid for the "priority" shipping. Book never arrived and upon contacting the bookseller, was told they had no way of tracking it! Again, Abe Books would not help, they only direct you back to the actual seller. Will never use Abe Books again. Am still trying to get a refund....

annam136
11/25/15

After my experience with AbeBooks, I have closed my account with them. A book I have been searching for for a long time came up in my AbeBooks alerts for a very good price with a reasonable shipping rate (too good to be true!), so I ordered it right away. The seller had a 4 star rating, so I had no reason to worry. I received my order confirmation, which I assumed meant that I had purchased the book. Stupid me, because I hadn't read AbeBooks' terms thoroughly and I hadn't read reviews on the company. I started getting slightly worried when, after about two days, I hadn't received a shipment notice. Finally, I received a message from AbeBooks, but it was a request for more money. Instead of the US$10.95 shipping rate listed, the seller now wanted over US$40 for shipping! This is apparently because the book needed to be shipped as a parcel. I might have been ok with a slight shipping rate adjustment, but quadrupling the rate was not acceptable so I rejected the request right away. This time I didn't hear anything from AbeBooks for 4 days. While I was waiting, the same book coincidentally came up on an auction site as a BIN for a reasonable price, but I didn't purchase it because I didn't want to buy the same book twice. Again, foolish me. Finally, after 4 days, I received an automated message from AbeBooks saying my order had been cancelled because the seller hadn't processed it within the required time period of 96 hours. Of course, by this point the book on the auction site had sold.

I sent a message to customer service just to let them know that I was disappointed that AbeBooks allows such practices and that I had lost my confidence in purchasing through them. I received a response that basically said that sellers on AbeBooks are perfectly within their rights to request more money for shipping, taxes or tracking/signature confirmations after a purchase, and can cancel orders if they choose to. They told me that AbeBooks' system only allows sellers to set one shipping rate (for a book that is 1 kg or 2.2 lb), so sellers can request more money for larger books after the fact. I wrote back saying that I understand that this practice is theoretically allowed under AbeBooks' policies, but that it undermines the trust that customers have in AbeBooks and their sellers. I suggested that AbeBooks should really consider developing tiered/variable shipping for their sellers (which almost all e-commerce platforms on the planet come with). And in the meantime while they only have the capability to set one shipping rate, sellers should be encouraged to set a rate that is middle of the road - they make money on shipping sometimes and lose money on shipping at other times, and it all evens out. That certainly beats trying to quadruple a shipping rate after the fact, which is likely to make any customer miffed. It's not as though the book I tried to purchase was outrageously sized - it's an average non-fiction hardcover that's 10" x 12" and weighs under 2 kg. After I sent this message, I received a response from AbeBooks that was truly irritating: "I am afraid we do not ask this of sellers as we cannot expect them to price packages for all of their inventory for all weights to all countries in the world." I'm sorry, did I ask that sellers set individual shipping rates for every single combination of package of every weight to all countries in the world? No. I suggested that they develop tiered or variable shipping for their sellers - similar to the weight-based shipping rates that any modern e-commerce platform allows; or encourage sellers to set an average flat shipping rate that balances out how much they gain and lose on shipping. Quadrupling a shipping rate on a customer after they purchase a slightly oversized book just shouldn't happen. The only saving grace is that my credit card wasn't charged for this so-called order, and I don't have to pursue a refund.

In any case, I don't have time to waste searching AbeBooks or going through their match notifications if orders I place with them aren't guaranteed to actually be processed. I'll stick to searching for used books at local bookshops or on the usual auction sites (which I find unpleasant and normally stay away from, so that says a lot about my opinion of AbeBooks!). At least then I know that when I find a book and buy it, it will actually be coming home with me! My account with AbeBooks is now closed and I am done with them.

tinag35
10/11/15

I ordered a book a month and a half ago. I never received it. I have e-mailed Abe books several times and have yet to get a response. I've accepted the fact that I'm just out of my money and a book

brittanyt13
10/6/15

I sent them two books the only sent a check for one. I put both of them in the same box and they are claiming I never shipped the book and have yet to get back to me.

stephenb90
10/4/15

Abe books is one to the few web sites that truly delivers. I am a teacher and I hate to see my students shell out oodles of money to greedy book publishers if they can get the same books for a fraction of the cost. Abe books has never let us down and I have been a customer of theirs for maybe 10 years. Never had an issue with them and they continually surprise me. I'm sure that one could go to Amazon or another web site and get a book that is closer to what you began looking for, but Abe will give you a newer edition or one that has a few scribbles in it for only a few dollars. As I am cheapskate, Abe will always get my business. I give them a 10 out of 10.

Update: I'm am open minded person and as such I decided to take another look at Abey Babeby. Once again, they have performed perfectly for me. With the exception of only providing older books, I have not had any troubles getting the correct book each and every time I ordered, the books have also been shipped to me in a reasonable amount of time, and I have never failed to receive what I paid for. I will admit that sometimes a book will take a week or three to get to me, but I suppose that this has something to do with the price I paid for the book. Putting myself in the shoes of the seller, if a customer such as me had paid something like $1.99 for a 20 dollar book, I probably wouldn't be all that motivated to ship it out Licket-EE-Split. Is that Abe books flaw or is it the motivation of the actual seller? Of course, if I needed a book immediately, I probably wouldn't be looking for a used book and I would probably try to physically put my hands on it before I paid my money, but that's just me. Whether I would rate Amazon dot com highly or not, in my estimation, also has to factor in the VERY HIGH prices they charge for every book they have regardless if that same book can be bought at Abey-Babey for a fraction of the cost. I guess that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I haven't been swayed at all away from the world famous www.abebooks.com. At Abey-Babey, one may buy many good books for a fraction of what they might cost elsewhere with very little difficulty. Where the persons that wrote all the negative reviews of abe books encountered all their difficulty I don't know because I have NEVER experienced any of this. Each time I simply located a cheap book that I was interested in. I bought it. An affiliate of Abe books then delivered the book to me next in approximately the time that they said they would. This has been my entire experience in the hundreds of books I have bought through Abey-Babey. As I am not doing anything magical and as none of my family is an owner or operator of Abe books, I'm certain that an average person will have the same experience as me. Now...put that in your pipe and smoke it.

lazaviac
10/3/15

I bought two books one still in progress and the other was mailed to my door in four days. I expected the book to come but not that early. I ordered the book in used but great condition and it was just as described. I was a little worried buying from them because of all the bad reviews. Sometimes you just got to go for it and hope you don't have the same bad experiences. Thank you! I'm satified

dianal26
10/2/15

I have purchased from AbeBooks in the past with no problems. This time, however, I ordered two of the same French workbooks, both described as very good. One came pretty quickly and was indeed in very good condition. The second one just came today, a week later, and I would have classified it otherwise. There is writing throughout the workbook. For me to use the workbook while learning the language, I would have wanted it to not have all the answers already written in the book. Fortunately, 90% is in pencil, so I may be able to erase, but it will be a pain to erase on 300+ pages!!!

mariahn
9/30/15

I ordered two books for medical administrative assistant classes and first time I ordered them I was refunded my money back by Abebooks for one book probably because the seller didn't have it. I was sent an e-mail stating that I was refunded the same day. Luckily I was able to find the same book for a little cheaper. Both books shipped very fast definitely less time than was estimated. Only thing that bothered me was that I was not given any tracking numbers to track my books but that didnt seem like much of a problem since they came so quickly. I don't really have any bad to say about this website.

janetb46
9/29/15

order no 97512403 ordered 20/8/15 the definitive biography of level 42 by michael cowton. still not been delivered. what has happened to my book. you took my money on 24/8/15

kevinc104
9/28/15

The Legend of Tallow Manor is an entertaining tale based on the romance between Benjamin Rawlings and Elizabeth Gatcombe. This childhood romance blossomed at Tallow Manor in Britain. Elizabeth was from a family of high ranking and Benjamin was the son of the farrier. They literally bumped into each other as children running around the grounds. They immediately liked each other’s company. Elizabeth was having a party and personally invited Benjamin to attend. At the party, Benjamin stood up for Elizabeth when she was insulted by another boy, Grant. Unfortunately, Benjamin got beaten up by Grant and his allies. Elizabeth and Benjamin were then separated. They vowed to never forget each other. Elizabeth was sent to Italy to complete her education. They were later reunited as adults. This time around, Benjamin was the owner of Tallow Manor. As a true gentleman, he offered Elizabeth her old home back as a gift.
The Legacy of Tallow Manor is quite intriguing. It spans a few continents as the main characters were physically poles apart in their adult years. I love the fact that author Terence. J. Goodchild was able to trace the issues of war and slavery in a tasteful manner. The contrast between the genteel, aristocratic life and the working class is quite dramatic. This clearly indicates that life can be truly unpredictable. The ironic twist whereby the two main characters switched positions in their social standing is proof of the creative genius of the author. I also appreciate the plot within the plot feature in this story. The language is semi-formal which reflects the Elizabethan (pun intended) time period of the novel. I enjoyed the extra twists in the plot in terms of the true family heritage of the heroine. The language used is both colloquial and formal as the book encompasses personalities from different social strata. In essence, this novel makes you wish that you could find the type of enduring love that the two main characters share. This book is truly a wonderful read!

gregv6
9/27/15

YOU GUYS & GALS AT ABE~BOOKS ARE AWSOME,

AND IM GOING TO BUY A BOOK MOMENTARILY!

IV ALWAYS FOUND WHAT I NEED AT A GREAT PRICE AND DELIVERY IS QUICK.

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the AbeBooks staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question