US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jenb15

After working with customer service via email, they refunded my money. (in 8 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

vicis
4/15/15

I don't remember the last time I received such bad product and service from a company. I ordered to two posters that arrived bent. When I asked to have them exchanged it took forever to get the address to send them back to. I sent them back via a trackable method on February 4th, it's April 15th and it's still not resolved. They just keep asking me the same questions to give me the run around. I will never buy anything from this company again. I gave them a ranking of 1 star because there wasn't anything less to choose from.

raulq1
4/10/15

I order two times from this website, the first one arrived 2 weeks late, the second one never arrived. The placed the second order on March 17 that was supposed to arrive on April 3, it did not, I contact them, then they told me the 9th, I did not, they keep changing the date. When I said I wanted my money back, they told me that I have to wait 8 days from April 10 (the last day they said the book was going to arrive to ask for a refund). So, they will keep changing the dates so you never get your money back. Think a lot before using this service, is cheap? well, when you paid for something you need now and arrive (if it arrives) after you finish the class, do you think it was cheap?

melaniej7
3/27/15

Let me start by saying that my only experience buying from AbeBooks' site was great. I live in the US and purchased the Australian edition of The Book Thief from Manyhills Books. The price was decent, even after international shipping fees, and the book arrived over a month before the deadline, and it's in great shape. If I were allowed to rate the seller, I would give Manyhills Books 5 stars. However, AbeBooks itself gets two stars for the reason that you CAN'T rate the booksellers.

The rating system on this site is based solely on order fulfillment (how quickly it arrived, that sort of thing) and it's rated automatically. If you had any problems with the delivery or the product itself, you can't write a review to warn other customers. So while a seller may look reputable because of their 5 star rating, there's no way of knowing if they actually deserve that rating. Their books may arrive on time but come in unusable shape—or be a completely different item than what you ordered—and they'd still receive a 5 star rating from the system. The rating system is extremely deceptive, making ordering from this site very risky.

Despite my own great experience with purchasing from AbeBooks, I would not recommend using them. It's a gamble, as you could either have a great experience or a nightmarish experience, as you can tell from all the bad reviews. Unless you're willing to take the risk, avoid AbeBooks and try to find your books elsewhere.

mikel188
3/18/15

Then after you pay they tell you it MIGHT get there in a month. Tried to cancel and they said it is too late. Part of me wants to fight them, and contest the charge with VISA, showing the evidence of how they bait and switch. Since the book as not as critical as normal for my work, I'll bite the bullet this time. BUT NEVER AGAIN. Adieu, or actually, au diable, to AssBooks, I mean AbeBooks.

toddf13
2/10/15

Sent wrong book. Had issue with refunding my money. Can't call them. No one seems to speak English very well as evident in their e-mail correspondence.

Tip for consumers: Don't expect to ever talk to a real person.

cynthiak6
2/2/15

There are several places to choose from to buy used books. AbeBooks is the easiest, best-organized and most trustworthy of the companies I have dealt with. Type in the name of your book and/or author in the search box and you'll get a list of holdings from least to most expensive. Except for payment (they can keep your credit card on file for one-click checkout, which I love), that's where AbeBook's responsibility ends. Your mission is to decide which book is priced correctly and in the condition or format that pleases you most, and whether or not the vendor offering it is reliable.

If you have a problem with your purchase, you can complain to AbeBooks or directly to the vendor. I have received refunds or replacements on the few occasions I was unhappy. Most of the time, however, booksellers are true believers in the printed word, and will be honorable. Each vendor is rated from one to five stars, and you can restrict your search to the highest-rated sellers.

Once in awhile, you may find better deals elsewhere; otherwise, you will discover that the the same sellers also advertise the same merchandise on various other book sites. AbeBooks wins my vote because I've bought about a thousand books from them over the years, and I still have most of them.

garyc46
12/27/14

I ordered a book through AbeBooks and there supplier sent the wrong book. I then contacted AbeBooks and they in turn contacted the supplier to send me the correct book. The supplier wanted me to return the incorrect book before they would do anything. I then contacted AbeBooks and again then went to bate for me contacting the supplier and when the supplier didn't get back to them AbeBooks refunded my complete order including the shipping. I would recommend AbeBooks and would deal with them again.

P.S The supplier (Paperback Books) has since sent me an e-mail stating that they have resent the correct book so I am waiting to see if I receive it and if all goes well I will return the wrong book they sent and contact AbeBooks and have then recharge my account.

lauras66
11/18/14

I purchased a book and the seller said he didn't have it and cancelled the sale. 6 emails to get a refund, then they refunded for the book NOT the shipping. 6 more emails to get the shipping refunded. THEY CANCELLED I DIDN`T!!! Then I get my Visa bill and I have been charged for currency conversion. WTF? It's costing me money because YOU cancelled the transaction!!!!!! Contacted Rosalyn M. - AbeBooks Customer Support and was told it wasn't their problem. So ended up paying money for a book I would never receive because the awful seller was too lazy to take it off his listings. Take my advice and buy on ebay, amazon,chapters alibris or bookfinder4u!!!!! No issues with them!

Tip for consumers: Don't use it - they don't control the individual sellers and they will not stand by them once the transaction is over.

johnnyf8
11/16/14

Tried to sell me a book as a "First Edition" that was NOT a first edition, for $100+, and then concocted bizarre "cover stories." These people are either stupid, or crooked, and I'm not exactly certain which is worse. [To add insult to injury, they brag that they ship 99% of their books in customized boxes, but this "fake First Edition" arrived in a typical carrier package--with no protection from damage, bending, etc.]

aaronh41
11/8/14

This is a terrible company. They sent the wrong book and then when I tried to have the book refunded they claim my returned book was never sent. Horrible service. They actually closed my claim and told me "too bad". The book I purchased was rare and expensive. These people are the worst kind of internet business. Take your business elsewhere.

petej5
10/21/14

I am extremely disappointed with my recent experience. I was thrilled to find an out of print book for an excellent price... When it didn't arrive, I was told that it "obviously" had been "lost in the mail." I was offered a replacement or a refund, and opted for the replacement. I was then informed that they had no more available and my refund was issued. When I started my search over again, I saw that the same AbeBooks seller, Extremely Reliable, had one copy of the book available at ten times the price (several hundred dollars). I suspect that the original price was a typo, and that instead of honoring the listed price (oops!), told me the book was "lost" and that no more were available. Not happy.

Tip for consumers: I will say they responded promptly to my "Where's my book?" query (even if the response was a lie), and issued the refund quickly as well (after the second lie). I have used AbeBooks in the past with no problems...but I have to say this go-round was a complete turnoff.

ericw44
10/15/14

I got a textbook that normally would be 70-120+ dollars in great condition for 17. Free shipping. The package came in a week and the shipping label even had a handwritten note thanking me. I don't know what the bad reviews are about. I was super SUPER impressed. I got another textbook for 5 dollars that should have cost 60+ and it should be coming soon. Check it out!

erins23
9/12/14

I just wanted to make sure I wrote this review because I came here and saw a lot of negative reviews before I went ahead and purchased from this company. I will have to say, I am so impressed with AbeBooks. My boyfriend needed some textbooks for school and didn't want to pay $200 a piece so I did some research and found AbeBooks and we paid $65 for both textbooks total. I placed the order Monday evening and we received the books on Thursday!! We were so pleased with how quickly we received our order. I would highly recommend this as an alternative to purchasing from any university bookstore or even Amazon. You cannot beat the prices.

janew38
9/3/14

I did my first college book order online for my daughter. One of the places I ordered from was AbeBooks. I ordered an eTextbook on August 9th, and as of September 3rd I still have not received it. Meanwhile, my daughter's classes have already started which put me in a bind since she needed that book. However, when I contacted the seller, he was extremely apologetic and accommodating. He issued a full refund without hesitation, taking my word for it that I never received the book. I was pleasantly surprised and glad he was so easy to work with.

hollyg12
8/23/14

"Paid extra to have a book shipped priority when I received it, it had been shipped media mail. When I contacted Abe Books about having the difference in my shipping money refunded, they basically said that's your problem and we won't help. That it's the sellers option to ship however they want as long as it gets there in time. Why allow shipping options then? What a rip-off!! Have to contact seller and hope he refunds my money. Abe Books has no accountability with their sellers and does not stand up for the customers. Would never use again. Amazon has waaaay better customer service. "

priscat1
7/28/14

BEWARE!!! DO NOT EVER TRUST THIS WEBSITE!!!

I fell for their sellback price offer and agreed to sell my book to them. They sent me the shipping label.
Within 1 month, I have not heard back from Abebooks so I wrote them an email since they do not provide any phone numbers.
But they never responds any of my emails.
I think they just did scam me, took my book and refused to pay me with the price they offered.
It has been 6 months and it got to a point where I am getting tired to reach them and just let them steal my book.

I just want to share this so anybody else will learn from the mistake I made.

emmab63
7/15/14

I've ordered a serie of three books impossible to find anywhere. It was really expensive ($400) and I only received them months later (it was supposed to be two months, it was almost four and the sender said they didn't put a tracking number because it was too expensive !!)

I received two of the books I wanted. The third one was missing and instead I got other books!!!! From the same author and being PART of the third volume but two were missing. I've got $400 stolen from me since the whole point was to have a collection of three volume representing the life's work of the poet.

I wrote them absolutely furious, they said they could send me the third volume when they would have it ("some day", WTH !!!) or that they could refund me but I had to put a tracking on the books!! I had to find a company to send the books internationally and I didn't want to deal with them and lose more time. They then wrote me saying the return/refund got cancelled because it took me too long, WTF!!! So I got sold the wrong books, I paid for them and I'm stuck with them because I didn't send the books back fast enough (hello, I had to wait 4 month and you can give me one ?)

Do NOT use this company, they probably are lying about the book you are looking for. They are unbelievable in a very bad way. I still can't believe how screwed I am!

gfsgfdzg
7/14/14

I ordered two Books one arrived no problem
The other shipped by Hemingways was not even the book it was a box of tarot cards ??
There’s is now way to reverse anything with these guys I got this note from Hemingways
When I filled in the web site enquiry
Hi,
I can confirm that we would not have shipped you a box of tarot cards as we
don't sell them, can I ask if the packaging is ours? And if its looks as
though it has been opened at all?
Kindest Regards,
Vicky

I sent them a photo of the product and the invoice but received a huge list of useless emails that got further away from the point that was they shipped the wrong product
I could have my money back (maybe ) if I shipped the item back at my expense
Don’t use them pay a few more $’s

ak185
7/2/14

NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!

This is the worst company ever to deal with. Don't buy OR sell books here! They $#*! and flipping don't do anything.

I recently graduated college so I decided to sell all my useless books since I won't be needing them for law school, obviously. I NEVER RECEIVED MY PAYMENT. So I emailed them, like anyone who didn't get a check in the mail after a couple weeks would. They told me I had to wait another 15 days for it to get to me... It had already been 2 weeks. So the 15 days went by with still nothing in the mail, I emailed them again and then they told me that I had to wait 45 days after the check was issued. So YET AGAIN I waited longer. I didn't get a check STILL. And emailed them. At first they were going to send me a new check but then they were all "our records indicate that cashed our check 5/27/14, we can email you the invoice if you'd like." Ummm, yeah, wtf send it.

I checked with my bank after looking at my account online (since I didn't have any deposits to my checking or saving account) and my bank confirmed it. I told them I didn't have any deposits on that day (in fact no activity at all!) and they said they would send the check.

I got the email with the check and it wasn't cashed by my bank and it didn't have my signature!!!! They refused to send me another check. Mother F*****s. The last I checked this wasn't a charity and them not paying me for my books I sold is theft.... To which point, since they've been so uncooperative, theft charges will be pending. This is utter bull$#*! and I HIGHLY SUGGEST NEVER. USING THEM. There's a reason their rating is so low.

NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT.

stewarts17
6/27/14

Abebooks pockets 12% of the price of every book that it sells. It has no interest in dealing fairly with customers' grievances but is concerned only with not alienating its manifold milch cows. I've repeatedly asked them to allow customers to review sellers and they have steadfastly ignored my request. (The current system of stars is designed merely to blackmail dealers into advertising only on the ABE site.) Most dealers, it is true, are honest folks trying to earn a living in difficult times, but there are too many who are unfit to sell books and against whom the customer has little redress.

markz10
6/23/14

THIS ONLINE BOOK COMPANY SUCKS!!!! BUYER BEWARE - DO NOT USE THEM!!!

I ordered a textbook that was listed as a 2 book set. Priced for $20 cheaper than the Amazon listing for same book set. After waiting for over 2 weeks, I only received one book. Spoke to customer service about "Extremely reliable" bookseller. The missing book was suddenly out of stock.... I requested to return for full refund, and was told I would have to pay the return cost. I paid the $3.19 to return book and have still not received my refund. It's been 29 day since then. I re-contacted the Abe book company about my refund. All the can tell me is that a refund has been requested.
I ended up buying the set off of the Amazon website and received both books in 3 days. I looked and looked for a review section on the Abe books website. It makes since that they do not have one, because they suck! I do not like dealing with company’s that have piss poor customer service. I will continue to bash this company on any and every website that allows me too.

ep385
6/17/14

when I bought a book for 5 dollar, I was charged 45 dollars for delivery costs. I think that Abebooks must show the real prise, because if they did I would have bought the book elsewhere.

vs18
6/13/14

i hate this company. i gave them my book as a part of their buyback program they provide-- and my book is exactly like the one they have on line . the only difference is that my book says custom and i checked it versus the other one before i sent it: hard cover; yes , same pages; yes . their reply was : sorry you will not get money for that . you f a h wasting my time

donnar32
6/12/14

I have ordered from Abe Books previously but I will not be ordering from them again.

For the past two semesters, my daughter ordered books from Abe Books that were water-damaged. This was clearly stated in the book seller's statement so we knew what we were getting.

After the semesters ended, we got a price from Abe Books for a buy back and shipped the books to them. When Abe Books received the books, however, they said the books were water-damaged and would not buy them back. BUT IT WAS OK FOR THEM TO SELL US THESE BOOKS IN THE FIRST PLACE, RIGHT?

When I complained Abe Books said it was their policy not to buy back water-damaged books. But why can they sell them in the first place? Anyway, when I asked to have the books sent back to me they stated that I had to pay return postage.

So now Abe Books has my water-damaged books which they will turn around and RE-SELL to another consumer. BUYER BEWARE!

I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH ABE BOOKS AGAIN!!!

bradb33
6/4/14

I bought from the seller BookwormUSA. I was worried when the delivery estimate was 3 weeks away, then I saw all these bad reviews, but it actually arrived in 3 days! I was sent a text the day before with tracking information.

lilyd10
5/15/14

1. My latest experience with abebooks: I am reviewing it here because they don't let you. I can see why. The lighted magnifying glass was broken. They invited me to return it to the seller at my own expense which would have been half the cost again. When I asked if they would pay postage - they did not reply. Their customer service then sent a standard email to ask 'how my experience was'. When I told them, they said it was not for them to deal with.
2. My previous order they took. Then some time later, cancelled because they no longer had the book in stock. Lucky I wasn't waiting to hand in my essay before reading it. Abebooks - not professional. Will never trust to use again.

dm19
5/12/14

First, there's a lot of complaints about abebooks not being the actual sellers. That's obvious because the seller and the city and state they're located in is plainly stated. Lots of websites do this, Ebay, Amazon and many more. Second, when people review abebooks it would help to name the seller. As far as textbooks, if it's the beginning of a semester there's probably thousand of students looking for books and who knows how many are on the same page when they hit that buy button. Now for my review. I've put in several orders through abebooks and I'm very satisfied. Books were as described and arrived within stated time. The companies I've ordered from were Better World Books and Thrift Books.

11-19-14 I just wanted to add an update. I ordered 3 books from Blue Cloud Books through Abebooks on 11-14 and they came in on 11-17. Very fast but the package only had to go from Phoenix to Tucson. The email for order confirmation was sent from Thriftbooks.com so they must be affiliated with them.

mattj29
5/11/14

I should have read these reviews before ordering from them. The reviews are so skewed between negative and positive reviews it is easy for one to tell who is an actual customer and who works for Abes PR department trying to run damage control. I ordered a textbook which was described as used but almost new condition. The following day I received an email stating the book was an E-book - yet they were charging me $9.99 for shipping, $7.20 for commission and $4.95 for a process and handling fee in addition to the price of the book (e-book). Tried to contact customer service, impossible - yet they went ahead and processed my credit card. THIS ONLINE BOOK COMPANY SUCKS!!!! BUYER BEWARE - DO NOT USE THEM!!!

jcg1
5/6/14

Was excited that I could find an out of print book. Seller disclosed it as having traces of use. That was fine. Traces of use to me are, scuffing, dented corners, ruffled pages, maybe the spine is very flexible. This had a 2 inch tear on the back of the spine separating the binding from the book. No refund was offered. Not using this Scammer book store again. Most used book sellers will either refund or partially refund you. Would not trust any sellers within this website.

jaket24
4/14/14

Took them two weeks to process my order and another three to receive the book. The prices are not worth it considering the absurd delivery times.

jacalynz
4/8/14

Looking for books in good condition and a lot cheaper than Amazon or a book store? This is your place, have been ordering from them off and on for years. No complaints, books always arrive in a timely manner, in condition stated and prices you can't beat.

tammyy2
3/10/14

My textbook was supposed to arrive a month ago. I stupidly didn't check the reviews for abebooks before- if i did i would have spend the two extra dollars (literally) and gotten my book from somewhere else instead.
I have emailed the seller, and have not received a response yet!
My teacher is penalizing me for every day I don't have my book by lowering my grade.
I hate Abebooks!!

danielm108
2/23/14

Ordered a book from them with an estimated delivery date of 2 weeks later. When the confirmation email arrived the delivery date had changed to a month after the estimated delivery date shown on the checkout page. Then to top to all off its over a week after the new estimated delivery date and the book never showed up. Have requested a refund but haven't heard back from the site.

veithl
2/14/14

They shipped the book within two days of the order and I received the book several days later. The book arrived in pristine condition.

antonf7
2/10/14

I bought a textbook on here because it was significantly cheaper here than other sites. However, even though it was shipping from Ohio to Chicago, it took 3 weeks to arrive! This is unacceptable because most sites at least ship within 2-3 days. I was without a textbook for a few weeks and this site alone is making it hard to catch up. My experience isn't as bad as some others, thankfully, but I'll never use this site again.

bobd55
2/6/14

DO NOT SELL BOOKS TO ABEBOOKS. Complete scam. I attempted to sell a book to their website. After sending, two weeks later I was informed that they could not buy my book due to "water damage" that was not on the book when I sent it. Typically I would think of this as not a huge ordeal, they would send me the book back and I would go about my life. Instead, abebooks states they cannot send the book back and keeps the book

sm563
2/5/14

I searched by ISBN number and found two books from one supplier. I ordered the books and immediately sent an email to the seller asking them to confirm the ISBN number of the books before they ship as this series has the same title but four volumes. I gave them the Vol. 3 ISBN and they emailed bak "YES". Guess what...I received two copies of Vol1. They want me to pay postage to send their mistake back before they refund my money!!! Really! I emailed them to confirm prior to post. RIP-OFF They can send you anything and you must pay to return.

garyo13
2/4/14

I've only used this website a few times and did not encounter any problems. Got what I ordered and in a decent amount of time.

cliffords19
1/28/14

ABEBOOKS HAS BEEN A BLESSING
I have ordered some 20 or 25 books or cassette programs over about 6 years w/Abebooks.
Not only have I ALWAYS gotten the correct book or cassette program,
but it has ALWAYS been in the "good" condition that was posted.
(In the "preowned books",usually there's been only 1 or 2 lines of writing in the whole book. I always order "in GOOD" or "in very good" condition--not "fair".)
To this date,there has always been speed of arrival,as the prompts will tell you how soon to expect it. When I order 3 books at a time, obviously, they might arrive at different days, due to different vendors.
So, until I have any different outcomes, I feel this site has been a blessing. (And I am NOT affliated w/any ABEBOOKS personnel in any way.)

CliffordII in Southeast, USA

bradm19
1/23/14

I ordered a book (a new copy) on Dec. 7 and finally received it (a USED copy!) on Jan 23rd, after several emails and the run-around from their sorry version of customer service. HORRENDOUS customer service. If these guys worked for me, they wouldn't work for me.

danielo12
1/20/14

Customer service is horrible...if you can get in touch. Sellers aren't held accountable. I ordered a book and paid extra for faster shipping. It never arrived and the refund took forever. I missed out on lots of class work because I was missing the book for 3 weeks. It was a horrible experience from start to finish. I would NOT recommend using abebooks.com!!!

meowl
1/17/14

I ordered a computer science textbook from the site that claimed to be in good condition. Not only was the book in poor condition, it was the "India Version" of the text that clearly said on the front cover that it was not to be sold outside of India, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan.

Now I'm stuck with an illegal, useless book.

kayh16
1/13/14

The book I needed for my graduate class was so expensive everywhere I looked, but I found it on Abebooks.com for half the cost! And it was delivered prompt to my door, just as described. I plan to order from them again this semester!

ivonner
1/6/14

If I could give 0 stars to this site I will. They listed the used book in good conditions and it has all pages falling. It is highlighted and some lines are so scratched that you can't even read. The price is not that cheap. Amazon had the same book "Like New" for $45 and abebooks sent this book in pieces for $40.

fatahd
12/31/13

The book that I ordered thru Abe Books was listed as a good condition book. What I received was nothing like that. The book I received had numerous torn pages, liquid stains and full of markings and highlights.

jenb15
10/11/13

We have ordered books from AbeBooks in the past without any problems. Recently I did order a book that I was charged for but the book never arrived. After working with customer service via email, they refunded my money. I have confidence that, if there are problems with an order, AbeBooks will resolve the situation fairly.

matst2
10/4/13

Bought a book that supposedly should be unmarked and in mint condition from a 5 star seller, in fact the book was worn and ugly and had seller signature and address in ink on first page! Be warned, you wo´t be paid for return postage as promised!

lacis
10/2/13

clearly not the site for textbooks, i'd avoid that one if i we're you, but for casual/enjoyable reading books, they are ridiculously cheap! i bought 5 books for all of $14 they were all in fine condition except one maybe- which had a falling apart cover, but its still readable and it was an old paper back anyways. not a bad deal all in all shipping was reasonably timed.

jimmys46
9/22/13

Well, I ordered a book I need for class on 9/6. The shipping was 3 - 6 business days. 9/16 came and went (6 business days). It is now 9/22 and still no freaking book. Meanwhile I'm in class for two weeks with homework assigned and no book. This is the worst, absolute worst website to buy books from. I've never had a problem anywhere else. www.abebooks.com is terrible and I do not recommend them if you want your book.

sm528
8/29/13

Ordered 9th edition of book
Recd 7th edition
Delivery took twice as long
Seller not willing to rectify mistake in any reasonable manner
Said-
"I just pulled it from the shelf and sent it without checking"
"The right book must have been somewhere"
"i am swamped with other orders and can't bother to rectify the mistake"
Abe books did not do anything about it. - just forwarded the emails to the seller.
THEN REALIZED THERE IS NO PLACE TO LEAVE FEEDBACK.
THERE SELLER RATING IS BASED ON THEIR OWN MADE UP STUFF
BOTTOM LINE
NEVER ORDER FROM ABE BOOKS
BIG SCAM!!!!!
COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE!!!

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the AbeBooks staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: that company is fraud, they charge the credit cards right away, but take forever to send the books, if they do, and never return the money
1 week ago
cynthiak6
A: In my experience, the charge doesn't post until the books ships, at which point the vendor sends me an e-mail. Depending on the card you use and the vendor who sells you the book, your experience can vary. I've had books arrive within two days up to two weeks. AbeBooks has always been good about refunding my money in cases where the book is damaged or in bad condition. A good rule of thumb is never to spend more than $10.00 for any book on AbeBooks; if you want a higher-priced or new book, go to Amazon and make sure your order is listed as being fulfilled by Amazon to ensure a refund if you need one (they will ask you to return the book, however).
1 week ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the AbeBooks staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

AbeBooks?
Click here to post a review