Review of Textbroker

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

riversb
5/17/17

Our company has used Textbroker for many years and they continue to be our go-to source for help in creating content for our clients. From Webpage copy to whitepaper content across many different industries, we find Textbroker has the best writers. We have tried other content providers as they enter the market, but always return to Textbroker. They were one of the first content providers and continue to be the leader in this area in our book.

juliea106
5/17/17

My only qualm is having to code things in HTML to format assignments. Lalala need to get to 100 characters to submit this disregard this sentence.

johnh696
5/5/17

Textbroker provides great value with it's large amount of content writers ready to develop engaging material.

sarai28
5/5/17

In the past I have used Upwork for projects but had been referred to textbroker by someone who has many articles written. I felt very removed from the process when using textbroker, like I had no say in who would ultimately write my article. I felt like the price was somewhat high considering we had the article written, just need a more businessy tone... they maybe added 50 words and moved a paragraph or two and it cost $46...I will be using upwork in the future or another site.

joe4615
4/27/17

I've worked in the content marketing world for nearly a decade. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly - from Blackhat SEO practices back in the day, to the repercussions of Panda- and Penguin-gate. Textbroker has been a valuable resource for me to find and vet authors, building relationships that, with some authors, have spanned 8+years. While the biz model of Textbroker is set up for turn and burn "set it and forget it" content needs, what I appreciate most about them is their ability and overall willingness to create a system that works for me. Putting out content needs to the general public makes it difficult for me to get quality work...I have too many specifications and specs on my orders, so TB has allowed me to work with authors one on one, which in turn establishes a system that works for all of us. Above all, I appreciate their prompt, IMMEDIATE, and thorough response time. I get email and chat responses in minutes and their team goes above and beyond to help me, every time.

Tip for consumers: You get what you pay for...only wiling to pay .02/word? Expect your content to reflect that. Author bonuses go a long way :)

stephanien39
4/27/17

It took me THREE attempts to reach Textbroker to get an answer about a transaction being run twice on my business bank account. When I got frustrated and said that if I didn't hear back from someone, I'd be forced to dispute the transaction with my bank, I was threatened with account suspension and/or closure. I've been a Textbroker client for almost 6 years. I get calls all day, every day from other content providers, looking to take my business from Textbroker, yet I've stayed loyal to them. So please. Close my account. I'll save tons of money, and I'll guess that I'll not get these threats and that the next company may actually appreciate my business.

hw43
4/24/17

The writer I work with is on point, gets what I'm asking for and the tone requested, and fully understands SEO. Feeling blessed to have found this service! Makes my life much easier!

edh41
4/15/17

Very reliable high quality.. Our clients have a wide range of niche industries. The amount of niche-specific research the 4-5 star authors do is wonderful. Very happy client

jims251
4/6/17

A bit of a slow turn around if you use the Open Orders pool, but great quality and customer service!

yj16
2/6/17

I tried this service out and write accepted an article over and over and never delivered. I reached out to their Customer Service for help and were extremely rude and unhelpful!

Tip for consumers: Go somewhere else!

karinb9
1/8/17

I like the fact that you can work at your own pace, but the pay is insulting for the work to be done. Textbroker is like a "sweatshop" of the digital age. You have to do some significant amounts of research at times, and can take some time to complete the article (under the pressure of time sensitivity, usually 24 hours)) for a very low pay. It's too aggravating for the pay I get. I am sure there are better freelance writing opportunities out there. Textbroker is the "had to start somewhere" type, but cannot stay in it long-term.

georgias
1/8/17

I have written 60 articles and after so many years they closed my account because of one article they were not satisfied with. My articles in the past few months have been rated excellent by clients. I am very disappointed in TextBroker!!!

allisong33
11/25/16

From other reviews, it seems that site is either hit or miss. However, in the past couple months that I have been writing for them, I have had a great experience. There are many different categories of articles to choose from. You can find articles that pay a decent chunk of money if you look and are willing to do the work within the given deadlines. They pay on a weekly basis and always have work from different clients to choose from. The only drawback is the time it takes for some editors to edit and accept content. Other than that, this site is very fair to their writers.

chrisj142
11/4/16

Having used them for 5 articles, I can say with certainty that the work their supposed "5 star" writers suck. What's worse, if you tell them you're unhappy with the quality of the work, they don't care. They still keep the crap writers at 5 star even with poor customer feedback. Bad customer service, crappy writers, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

joshm123
10/13/16

My experience with TextBroker has been pretty good. Content quality is solid for the price. But... order delivery takes too long and revisions take even longer. It's like the writers don't care when you send them a revision. Take their sweet time to do it. I've moved on to other services like Low Price Articles. A little cheaper than TextBroker and faster too. Article quality is definitely good enough for my blog posts and landing pages. I order roughly 200 articles per month from them and only send 2 or 3 back for revisions. Not bad. If TextBroker would speed things up and lower their prices a tad, I might try them again.

Tip for consumers: Be patient. Don't expect orders delivered within 24 hours.

markr217
Mark R.
9/27/16

Terrible compensation, I am an English professor, submitted a written sample of my work, and these jokers rated me two out of five stars. Blatant misrepresentation of qualified editors. Run, don't walk away.

mc521
9/13/16

I love textbroker. We used a service for our blogging and social media and it was expensive and of poor quality. Since we started with textbroker, we get quality material with little to no need to edit, quick turnaround and headache free content sourcing. I'd recommend textbroker to anyone looking to build an attention grabbing and seo friendly blog for their business.

Tip for consumers: Go 4 star! It's well worth it.

jamesh349
9/10/16

I've used TextBroker on and off for several years but "took a break" a couple years ago since the content wasn't what I was looking for quality wise. This week, I decided to give it a shot because I needed some work done in a pinch and over the course of 10+ articles every one of them was exactly what I was looking for both in terms of editorial quality, style, and research. I'll definitely be using their writers more often in the future!

Tip for consumers: Be very clear in the instructions as well as providing links / references to what you are looking for. This has dramatically improved the results.

johni233
9/4/16

They redesigned and the new design is so horrible, that it is barely usable. So many bugs and frustrations, I am planning to start using freelance sites rather than this. Paid 20K so far for content, the customer support is either not responding or rude and ignorant as hell. I know other people got similar issues as well. This is not how a business should be run.

Tip for consumers: Check for other alternatives instead.

kittyt2
9/1/16

When I first started my career in freelance writing, I began at Textbroker.com. For a new writer, the pay seemed okay, although certainly not enough to pay the bills, and the articles that were ordered covered interesting topics. After adding several other similar writing sites to my arsenal of work sources, I saw that Textbroker is one of the lowest paying companies for writers. They have not improved their pay rates at all since I joined them five years ago.

Over the past couple of years, their clients who place direct orders and team orders are increasingly needy, unnecessarily nasty in their communications, and they all promise "tons" of work that never materializes. There are always chances to apply to write for specific teams, but after being accepted to join numerous teams, 99% of them never posted any work. I recently was accepted to a team, was unable to begin writing immediately, as in that very day, due to another writing project commitment, and was dropped from the team less than a week later. I guess they expect people to be satisfied with making only the pennies that Textbroker pays without taking on outside gigs. I have a direct order client, who I will be dismissing soon due to his poor communication, who has been sending me messages that he is sending work "on a couple of minutes," then "can you start today?" (when I had already stated that I was available on that day), then "I will send work tomorrow" and here I am still waiting. His instructions for assignment number two, which is the one I am waiting for, contradict his rewrite instructions for assignment number one. He must have liked my rewrite of assignment number one because he accepted it, rated it highly and paid a substantial bonus for it - the least he could do since the article took much, much longer that it should have due to his strange demands. Finally, I do not like being asked to write material that is either unethical, misleading or downright incorrect, which seems to be too frequently at Textbroker. From what I have read, clients for whom a writer has never written before can blacklist the writer - based on what reasoning, I have no idea

The forums seem to have no moderators, and so they seem to be hotbeds for nasty attitudes and pointless snarky comments. This is not the case on the forum where I do most of my content site writing these days.

Finally, the article topics on Textbroker have become more trivial and ridiculous than ever. 90% of the titles are just little product description blurbs. Gone are Textbroker's days of writing informative articles about relevant topics, it seems. Where health topics used to cover illnesses or treatments, they now want product descriptions for supplements and rehab clinics.

I rarely write at Textbroker anymore. I have held on to one client who is pleasant to work with and provides interesting and enjoyable topics, and I will give a new direct order or team order client who approaches me a chance. I would not recommend this company to writers these days. Even as an entry level writer, there are other sites where you can do significantly better.

morko
8/4/16

This site is disgusting. It's bad enough that they pay you a penny per word, which even a fourth grader could do. But it's even worse when you consistently turn in articles which you KNOW are of good quality, and they never move your rating up, so you can never make any more money. And clients will send back work 4-5 times on stupid little things that don't even make any sense, when they should have put it in a different star category if they wanted perfection. And I can never make it over 19$ a pay period because even if I write 30-40$ worth of articles, they wait until after payday to review them so they don't have to pay big payouts to people. This whole outfit is unworthy of even the worst writer. Writers, even if you are beginners, DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT! This company sucks ass. They treat people like s%*# because that is exactly what they are.

tn34
7/28/16

Sadly, this company appears to be in a slide and they were once super responsive and great to write for. Worked for them on and off a few years, right now poor staff author response now and other mischief. Till they work out their slide in services and author response, you might want to give this company a miss.

scottb156
7/6/16

I've been using TextBroker.com for about a month and the service and support are amazing!

For great quality content, this is the solution.

meredithw10
6/23/16

First, it took Textbroker at least 10 days to even look at my writing sample. When I inquired, they approved it later that day with an apology. They also accepted my article samples. But later, after giving me a 4-star rating, they took my article links down, saying my byline was against policy. I hadn't realized that, so I understood. But why accept them in the first place?

Besides this, which was a mere frustration, the rates are poor at best. I've written professionally for almost 20 years, drumming up freelance on my own, and Textbroker rates are CRIMINAL, even for beginner writers. Four-star writers receive around 6 cents per word, if that. Even the lower paying assignments I've had with various companies and websites have paid 20 cents more per word than this text mill, at the very *least*. If you want to work hard (writing can be tough) and provide valuable content that clients will profit from much more than you will, then go for it. Work for Textbroker if you need a start. Even a bleak one. But if you value yourself and your work, don't.

You're better off approaching companies, websites and organizations on your own, without this middleman to rip you off.

katec39
6/14/16

I have spent the last 15 years as a professional writer. Blogs, print and also have worked as an editor. I'm no slouch at writing.

After literally hundreds of blogs for these people over three years, hundreds, all rated a "4" - all of them - ONE client rejected an article (after asking for changes that I made per his instructions) and, not being a mind reader, (apparently I didn't get what he meant in his 15 word email) he rejected it. After three years, hundreds of blogs and ONE unsatisfied client I was reduced to a "3" with a congratulatory email -no kidding, it read: "Congratulations!!! You are now a 3 star writer."

Wha????? 3 star writers have a more limited pool of choices for blogs (and they aren't that great to begin with!) and less pay. Because on ONE unsatisfied client.

Actually, that's what cut if for me, although I really should have moved along long before. These people are clearly idiots. Often you find yourself writing blogs that you normally wouldn't because the pool gets so limited. Your "pay" can be sort of decent (it is NEVER good) and don't believe anyone who says you can make a living at this!- but also can be quite paltry. Quite. You are not in control of that either. Many of the blogs ask for "from a Canadian point of view" or such that will discount it for US writers. Many blogs are $1.50 product descriptions. Some client's instructions are filled with grammatical and spelling errors. Some are unclear. Some clients are good ones, but some want "War and Peace" for $6. And TB will expect you to do that. They ask you to include all sorts of things that are not in the realm of "writing". You're actually better off flipping burgers or working at the 7-11 and working on your own blog or novel. Trust me. It will be a lot more dependable.

19 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Textbroker staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
traceyh31
Tracey H.
on 1/20/17
Be the first to answer
Questions? Get answers from the Textbroker staff and other customers.

Textbroker?