US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

alexa1751
12/3/16

THIS IS BULL. I'm beginning to doubt if this is even anything more than an autocorrect. Other than that, it constantly tries to 'fix' or 'suggest' changes that completely disregard the meaning of the sentence. I'm an amateur writer, so the sentence saying "she showed much promise." is clear and correct. Then why does Grammarly suggest it be either "she showed many promises." or to just get rid of the sentence? I keep trying to go by formats it shows and it makes no difference. In all honesty, I'm beginning to think that once you pass a certain amount of words, it either can't keep up and gives delayed readings OR IT'S A MONEY GRABBER! Saying you have errors when you don't, all so you can buy a plan. Whatever it is, F*%*&!# FIX IT!

berniek20
11/27/16

I opened an account with Grammarly a couple of years ago but found it didn't really suit my somewhat specialised purposes (though I think it's good for most users) and I stopped using it. My subscription renewed automatically last week so I contacted them to say I hadn't intended it to renew and hadn't been using the service for a long time. They had no legal obligation to refund my subscription as the automatic renewal is made clear in their T&Cs but they immediately refunded the money to my paypal account. So overall I was very impressed by their customer service and integrity.

maryh238
11/23/16

a great place to strengthen the paper but some suggestions are definitely wrong

tonyb133
11/23/16

Malware in a broad sense of the word. Make promises they cannot deliver. Claim it is free when it actually charge you a fee. It does not work and you cannot uninstall. You know the words, a malware

ricd
11/7/16

A Grammarly review said my document had 30-some plagiarisms. The 'plagiarisms' turned out to be common single statements of up to ten words that couldn't possibly by copyrighted.
It also 'suggested' using 'says' in the following statement: "I heard a soft, kind, but powerful voice say, "Dont worry. . . . "

johnr400
10/31/16

FinallyI have gotten tired and very upset at grammarly trying to take my writing from me. I also object to the software interrupting me during my comments on social network. Finally, I uninstalled the software. BUT IT DIDN'T GO AWAY. I have rebooted through a restart. When that didn't get rid of it, I turned the system off. Which by the way I had to unplug the system from the system. THE D**N SOFTWARE DIDN'T DISAPPEAR!!!!

stevenm162
10/21/16

Grammarly works. I have seen the reviews on this site, in my opinion it's right 97% of the time. It has the occasional error but it's easy to spot if your proficient in English.

jamesm497
8/15/16

I have used grammarly all along in my writing career, and I find it useful to some extent. Its suggestions sometimes do not make sense, and this requires the writer to be personally proficient in English grammar and syntax. However, I would recommend it to students and new writers, but remember you cannot rely on its suggestions 100%.

clarkkentk
8/9/16

Grammarly has let me down enough times. Cost me some good grades. Use with caution

leslier29
7/24/16

How do I recover a document that is locked then erased by Grammarly? I like the program until it has turned my life into a living hell because I thought the the program completed the scan. I got error message and saved it to find out later that the data is gone. I cannot recover it through any means. I thought I could just correct it later when it had an error message but no,its gone 0 data. The grammarly site says you can look at your work but I can only see what I have loaded into not what it has already scanned and or eliminated by the program. . The program has created credibility problems with plagiarism. It does not cover enough data. . If you were fortunate enough to save any work before the scan is run then you still have to re-accomplish all the work This time everything was gone and I had nothing but my notes to fall back on.Three weeks I worked on that data and Grammraly erased it all.

robc66
7/15/16

When I need to check my content on mistakes, I use grammarly.
But sometimes it shows me suggestions that I would not accept. Even a school student should know that Repetitive word inmate in the "will help the inmates to understand" couldn't be changed on "prisoners". Strange thing.
In general, it is a nice service for checking mistakes.

Tip for consumers: Thoroughly check the mistakes and choose the suggestions

christopherr63
6/15/16

Helped me find some flaws in my work before I submitted it. I recommend it even though you really have to upgrade to make the best use of it. The upgrade cost is really too much for me. Wish they would lower it because I'd definitely buy it.

oscard34
5/13/16

does grammarly take writing that is submitted and if so what is done with it?

tapand
4/26/16

Nice

charlened1
3/18/16

I wanted this product to work. I installed it three times and uninstalled it all three times. I got disgusted with not only the errors in its "advice", but in the aggravation it caused me by putting corrections right on top of the error nd refusing to move the balloons until I addressed the issue, I couldn't address the issue because the balloon covered it. I couldn't even see it to determine if I needed to correct something, much less to fix it if I found it was an error. The main thing it did for me was to point out typos. While that's a good thing, it's not what was promised. If your main problem is typos, go for it. Otherwise, just use a dictionary.

edwarde20
3/5/16

We signed up for Grammarly for 1 year for my daughters MBA dissertation. A year later and after she graduated my credit card was billed again without prior email or announcement.

It's a business practice that is unacceptable. I reported it to AMEX as a fraudulent charge and was issued a new credit card.

There is no reachable customer service and all I have read here by Ann E. are lies. This company is unwilling to return fraudulent changes and will just ignore you.

If they ever charged your card, replace that card because otherwise they will charge you forever.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT FALL FOR THE SITE THERE ARE MUCH BETTER ONES

mattp53
2/22/16

Grammarly's business model in a nutshell, like many other scams nowadays:
1. Hire a programmer or two for a week or two.
2. Build a rudimentary web-based word processor
3. Offer free trials of course, but subscription plans must be no less than $30 a month.
4. Advertise your crap like crazy.
5. Hope for people to forget canceling their subscription at the end of the free trial (chances are some will).
6. No need for providing customer service for those whose credit card has been charged at the end of the free trial.

davido75
2/20/16

has not caught a single punctuation error even if I use none at all why is it so hard to find a bad review are they hiding them with all of their own stuff people need to know the truth before they buy this program if you need something like this Grammarly will not help you oh and this post was proofread by Grammarly it only caught speeling

roseb62
2/15/16

I have problems with sentence structure and grammar. This was the best investment I ever made because it has helped me to write better papers. Whether it is an email, essay, research paper, or annotated bibliography grammarly does help.

monikal5
2/2/16

I love to write and was looking forward to having this mentor by my side to edit as I typed. it was like a really mean teacher that kept ripping up my work and saying "do over" it kept erasing what I had written and now it seems to be haunting me like the word stalker . . I can't get rid of it!!! see it's even at the right hand corner at the bottom... see it?? oh now it wants to correct my two "?"s....

philv1
1/27/16

While Grammarly software begins to address the deficiencies in Win-365 spelling and grammar checker, from a professional perspective, this product is not ready for prime time and should not be released as a production software product. I have been waiting for two weeks for the company to respond to my request for an uninstall fix. My request was posted to the company's support site on 1/15/16. Two week's later, still no fix.

jimn41
1/22/16

I found it annoying, all it does is give false positives and occasional typos or spelling errors.

gramh
1/11/16

Actually, there are much better services. I don't like the way they use my uploaded papers. Better use www.Plagramme.com or plagiarism-detect.com

jj190
1/5/16

Grammarly is okay. Not great though.

mellodies
12/19/15

im learning to write all over again. and i like it

26 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Grammarly staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question