US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

jamesm497
8/15/16

I have used grammarly all along in my writing career, and I find it useful to some extent. Its suggestions sometimes do not make sense, and this requires the writer to be personally proficient in English grammar and syntax. However, I would recommend it to students and new writers, but remember you cannot rely on its suggestions 100%.

clarkkentk
8/9/16

Grammarly has let me down enough times. Cost me some good grades. Use with caution

leslier29
7/24/16

How do I recover a document that is locked then erased by Grammarly? I like the program until it has turned my life into a living hell because I thought the the program completed the scan. I got error message and saved it to find out later that the data is gone. I cannot recover it through any means. I thought I could just correct it later when it had an error message but no,its gone 0 data. The grammarly site says you can look at your work but I can only see what I have loaded into not what it has already scanned and or eliminated by the program. . The program has created credibility problems with plagiarism. It does not cover enough data. . If you were fortunate enough to save any work before the scan is run then you still have to re-accomplish all the work This time everything was gone and I had nothing but my notes to fall back on.Three weeks I worked on that data and Grammraly erased it all.

robc66
7/15/16

When I need to check my content on mistakes, I use grammarly.
But sometimes it shows me suggestions that I would not accept. Even a school student should know that Repetitive word inmate in the "will help the inmates to understand" couldn't be changed on "prisoners". Strange thing.
In general, it is a nice service for checking mistakes.

Tip for consumers: Thoroughly check the mistakes and choose the suggestions

christopherr63
6/15/16

Helped me find some flaws in my work before I submitted it. I recommend it even though you really have to upgrade to make the best use of it. The upgrade cost is really too much for me. Wish they would lower it because I'd definitely buy it.

oscard34
5/13/16

does grammarly take writing that is submitted and if so what is done with it?

tapand
4/26/16

Nice

charlened1
3/18/16

I wanted this product to work. I installed it three times and uninstalled it all three times. I got disgusted with not only the errors in its "advice", but in the aggravation it caused me by putting corrections right on top of the error nd refusing to move the balloons until I addressed the issue, I couldn't address the issue because the balloon covered it. I couldn't even see it to determine if I needed to correct something, much less to fix it if I found it was an error. The main thing it did for me was to point out typos. While that's a good thing, it's not what was promised. If your main problem is typos, go for it. Otherwise, just use a dictionary.

edwarde20
3/5/16

We signed up for Grammarly for 1 year for my daughters MBA dissertation. A year later and after she graduated my credit card was billed again without prior email or announcement.

It's a business practice that is unacceptable. I reported it to AMEX as a fraudulent charge and was issued a new credit card.

There is no reachable customer service and all I have read here by Ann E. are lies. This company is unwilling to return fraudulent changes and will just ignore you.

If they ever charged your card, replace that card because otherwise they will charge you forever.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT FALL FOR THE SITE THERE ARE MUCH BETTER ONES

mattp53
2/22/16

Grammarly's business model in a nutshell, like many other scams nowadays:
1. Hire a programmer or two for a week or two.
2. Build a rudimentary web-based word processor
3. Offer free trials of course, but subscription plans must be no less than $30 a month.
4. Advertise your crap like crazy.
5. Hope for people to forget canceling their subscription at the end of the free trial (chances are some will).
6. No need for providing customer service for those whose credit card has been charged at the end of the free trial.

davido75
2/20/16

has not caught a single punctuation error even if I use none at all why is it so hard to find a bad review are they hiding them with all of their own stuff people need to know the truth before they buy this program if you need something like this Grammarly will not help you oh and this post was proofread by Grammarly it only caught speeling

roseb62
2/15/16

I have problems with sentence structure and grammar. This was the best investment I ever made because it has helped me to write better papers. Whether it is an email, essay, research paper, or annotated bibliography grammarly does help.

monikal5
2/2/16

I love to write and was looking forward to having this mentor by my side to edit as I typed. it was like a really mean teacher that kept ripping up my work and saying "do over" it kept erasing what I had written and now it seems to be haunting me like the word stalker . . I can't get rid of it!!! see it's even at the right hand corner at the bottom... see it?? oh now it wants to correct my two "?"s....

philv1
1/27/16

While Grammarly software begins to address the deficiencies in Win-365 spelling and grammar checker, from a professional perspective, this product is not ready for prime time and should not be released as a production software product. I have been waiting for two weeks for the company to respond to my request for an uninstall fix. My request was posted to the company's support site on 1/15/16. Two week's later, still no fix.

jimn41
1/22/16

I found it annoying, all it does is give false positives and occasional typos or spelling errors.

gramh
1/11/16

Actually, there are much better services. I don't like the way they use my uploaded papers. Better use www.Plagramme.com or plagiarism-detect.com

jj190
1/5/16

Grammarly is okay. Not great though.

mellodies
12/19/15

im learning to write all over again. and i like it

karenj59
12/6/15

First the product - it helped me a lot although it has a few problems. I can work around them (I have an editor which helps.) My main issue is with the lack of support. I thought I was the only one having a problem with Grammarly and then I find this site. I was so happy. I'm not alone - everyone else is as miserable as me. I've been having password issues since the 23rd of November 15 and I can't login to my account. Grammarly has debited funds from my bank account and I don't even know what for. They seem to ignore my issues. However they are taking funds from my bank account. How do they continue to operate is beyond me. There business practices seem to be fraudulent. Thanks for listening.

caroleb20
10/18/15

I want to know how to get rid of this annoying crap. Someone loaded part of it
't on my computer and it's like having a nag, nag, nag that I can"t get rid of plus it blocks what I'm writing and wastes my valuable time and aggravates the heck out of me. How do I get it gone?

jacoba22
10/6/15

Not often but use it. An indispensable assistant.

stephj3
9/2/15

Grammarly regularly creates phoney manufactured news and publishes it on the Wall Street journal and Forbes by paid employees. Affiliate papers than grab the news and publish it. This is an advertising scam covered as a news story. Search Google "grammarly wsj"

The latest are:

Wall Street Journal
Aug. 31, 2015 Auburn Trounces Alabama in Iron Bowl—of Grammar WSJ
Jun 22, 2015 Mets Fans: Not So Amazin' at Spelling and Grammar - WSJ
Apr 28, 2015 Washington Redskins: Bad at Football, Worse at Spelling - WSJ

valeriel11
8/24/15

I am working on my MPH, and decided to use Grammarly to assist with my papers. Six months in I suffered a shoulder issue and needed to take a several months off to recover. When I tried to cancel the subscription, Grammarly would not refund me MY money for the months I would not be able to use their service. They will not provide me with a number to speak to a human being. I am completely disgusted with them. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THEIR SERVICE!!! There are other reputable programs to use that will let you talk to a human being!!

michaelb219
6/6/15

This add-in for Word 2010 popped up in my email and I thought, Why not? So I downloaded it, only to find it won't do bupkis unless I subscribe. But in setting up an account, it asked me my purpose: student. I get that software costs a lot to develop. Same time, I kind of expected (erroneously, it turns out) a bit of a break on the cost as I'm a STUDENT, which means I'm friggin' poor! Oh, well. Don't need it. But for kicks, I plugged Hemingway's "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" into Grammarly... I think I prefer Papa's ability to the program's. I don't know, but dry, mechanical, sanitary prose doesn't sound like a great goal. One of the errors (it found 27) in his story, according to Grammarly, is wordiness. Hardly a Hemingway trait. Pass.

amyk29
3/27/15

When I purchased Grammarly, it worked great for about two weeks. All I get now is a screen that says that it's loading. I emailed them and Kasey has asked me to take a screen shot by pressing F12 (I don't have an F12 on my Chromebook...which I told them I am using) then got a reply several days later to ask me what system I'm using. I told them in my first email...Using a Chromebook and it runs on Chrome. Told them AGAIN what I am using...still no fix for my issue. After reading these comments, I am definitely canceling, It works on my typing other places but, I can't get to my papers already on it or type any new ones!!

16 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Grammarly staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Answer
leslier29
A: No it is not free. 139.00 per year.
Helpful answer