Review of Grammarly

Tel: 1.800.963.4816
press@grammarly.com

clarew28
8/18/17

Paid for the premium service 5 days ago and still not able to use it. I have had no response to any of my requests to have this rectified. It is a scam, contacting my bank first thing Monday morning to put in a claim for fraudulent activities.

mikel349
8/10/17

Sorry but the word spell and grammar checker, as modest as it is, catches more.

Thye, caught by word, not Grammarly

NB; thye caught by both

At the intro of an email

Hi Dan,

it always wants to say Hi, Dan

Misses too much to use it exclusively

timothym95
8/2/17

Why do they have to trap you into an automatic monthly payment? Why can't I talk to a person on the phone? Why can't I get a refund for the rest of the month when I cancel on the 1st day? Why do they say "it's free" then you have to pay to see any potential errors?

bowiec
7/31/17

Grammarly offered a 7 day free trial. I cancelled on the 6th day of a one year subscription [which incidentally was almost double for what I pay for MS Windows or Office. They told me that I needed to contact another department. By that time I had gone past the expiration date and they charged me almost $160+, a full year's subscription, when I complained they reduced it to $29.95. It's not much better than the free edition that comes with MS Office.

alanc99
7/30/17

This is part of a short story that won an award for grammar and content Yet Grammarly gave this short part 2 critical mistakes.
It was some time before the train reached the tunnel leading to the citys main station. I was not too concerned, as I was in conversation with the most beautiful women I had ever seen. Her name was Rita and she lived less than a mile from where I worked which, as coincidences go, this was up there with the best.
Rita promised to meet me the following day at the local watering hole, Cullens emporium.
I hoped she would not change her mind; I spent hours thinking about her and what I would say when, and if, we met the following day.

christopherp90
7/22/17

It's terrible. Advertisements make it even more unbearable. I teach non-native English speakers grammar, and many of them ask about using software like this. I tried it, and it's hardly any better than the one for Microsoft Office (which my university already pays for).

ultrivezg
7/17/17

Grammarly is great if you need a simple grammar checker, you can't get software that's any better than it. However, I'm not gonna pay 30 bucks a month for a better version of the same software. It would also be amazing if they added English (Canadian) as one of the languages. As a Candian, it sucks to have to choose between American English and English. Overall, it's not bad. but you'll have to pay $30.00 if you want it to be great.

(I'm currently using non-premium Grammarly to write scripts for my YT channel and this very review. It fixed 7 mistakes in this review. So you get the idea.
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXcYXI3yysGFi5Y9sCzztfA)

yey2
7/15/17

Im not paying that much a month for grammar... seriously.. go to school if you need to buy this. and if your a writer or something I accept that you need this sometimes but aint no body gonna bay that much money for words... And I tried the free extension.. It didint fix anything..

padminij
7/13/17

These people wont return my annual subscription fees although I cancelled within a week as per their rules. I am supposed to get a full refund. Now, I am forced to use the app because they dont respond to my emails., I have been writing to them in the hope of getting some justice. I am a student and I feel utterly frustrated and disgusted with them. I want to know how to proceed against them legally.

harryh72
7/11/17

The ads for this product are just terrible. They make it seem that our corporate world is full of a bunch of incompetents that cannot spell or use proper grammar.

Even if that is true we all ready have Spell Check which does a great job (for free) so why would anyone purchase this product.

My favourite ad of theirs is the Social Media Manager one where the woman has a horrible day but because a program told her how to spell some words it became a good day.

Anyways this is a waste of your money, if you really cannot spell just look for the Red Squiggly line under your words and then right-click to get the correct spelling.

johnb902
7/8/17

Grammarly is waste of my money. Trying to contact someone for support is also a waste of time. There have no contact phone number. Stay away!

faed1
7/6/17

As a writing instructor, I HATE this app!! Not only does it not catch many errors (even ones that MS Word grammar check does), it deletes necessary parts of speech and replaces them with bizarrely incorrect punctuation marks. For example, it'll take out words necessary for a complete sentence and replace them with the punctuation marks ," ... WHY??? Students, please do not use this app. Proofread your own work, and talk to a real person, like a tutor or writing center employee instead.

adic1
7/5/17

I am not sure how Grammarly helps me when it does not understand basic grammar rules, like the use of comma... On top of that, it is quite annoying. I have seen some smart recommendation a couple of times, the rest is not that impressive and also they are still not integrated with Google Docs!

rachelp72
7/3/17

This app is absolutely worthless to writers like myself. It kept freezing my computer to the point where I couldn't hardly send emails. Also, the page number limit is ridiculous if you are writing a novel. Not to mention, it does not do italicize, bold, underline, size font, page breaks, font style, or page numbers. It also did not underline the correct words, usually the words in the next line below the one it was correcting. It's a stupid app, and the sellers of this app need to stop making this app sound so perfect. If you get this app, you most likely regret it like I did. I had it for a day before I deleted it. It was that bad. Also, it doesn't work on google docs, which is where I do all my writing, as well as some of my other friends that are also writing books. Don't get this app, it doesn't do everything they say it does, and freezes your computer. Someone needs to make an app that actually does what they say it does and that doesn't freeze you computer.

theresep3
7/2/17

On May 1st (2017), I reported that Grammarly refused to refund any portion of my one year subscription of $82 when I cancelled it after four months of using it. But after 2 months, a customer-service clerk named Ann walked an extra mile for me, and refunded $48. Though Grammarly failed in performance as an editing tool, Ann deserves three stars. Thanks, Ann, for your kindness. You make Grammarly looks better though its product has many faults.

memmaw1
7/1/17

Using it to improve my paper. Prompts are sometimes wrong, with commas in the wrong place and plurals in place of singulars. Enforces active voice, though passive voice works in some cases. Repetitive words are inevitable in a research paper but Grammarly insists on ridiculous substitutes. Can ruin the formatting within word document if not careful. Makes me feel like the program was designed by the Chinese. Not worth the cost. Plan to use it only for the duration of my paper.

teresaw78
6/25/17

I bought the year after a free trial. A big mistake! I'm a writer and wanted my manuscript checked and edited. I use Microsoft Office to write my novels. Well, after Grammarly highlighted in green I started to make corrections for it to constantly freeze my computer up, freeze my document with each correction that was made . Also. Being a paid customer my clicks to correct are limited. And it shouldn't be. No phone number to call customer service, but yet they claim to have 24 hour customer service. That's not true when a person is assigned to you through email only. Please, don't waste your money on this online service
It's not worth all the aggravating and time consuming effort to correct a document or manuscript. It's garbage and a piece of worthless crap. If there's an editing program to purchase on Disk please let me know . I do not recommend Grammarly to anyone . All of us can't be wrong. It's not a great, wonderful program. It's a waste of money. It's going to take me hours, days and maybe months to sit through this aggravating process to edit .

miriamh14
6/12/17

How can you have a company with no phone number! You aren't a business but thieves stealing people's money!

alexs428
5/15/17

Grammarly is utterly useless if you can't afford to pay for their "premium" service. I used it briefly once to check a review I was writing for a podcast: the free version detected "advanced errors" such as plagiarism, which I was pretty worried about. Tried to fix it, got sent to a page that asked me for money, after they swore up and down that they're a totally free service. I deleted the extension off of Chrome but I still got spammy emails saying things like "see your weekly report" -- clearly lies because I hadn't even used the extension! Finally I found out that there was an "account" on their website I didn't remember making, and I managed to delete that, but now I still see ads for their Youtube page on unrelated videos, even with Adblocker and an extension to block specific Youtube channels!

I am now genuinely concerned that this P.O.S. somehow infected my computer with malware. Stay far, FAR away.

theresep1
5/10/17

As a writer whose English is her second language, I appreciated this software at the beginning when I purchased in January. But there's something wrong with this product. It dies on you, and you "REPORT" every other day. You can be easily frustrated. How is the customer service? They assign someone to help you, but not all are capable of fixing the problems. And this person who send you a link that supposed to help reports that the problem is "fixed" when it's NOT FIXED. After I worked on a project on the screen with Grammarly "turned on" and I see a clean screen, but on the printed page, I find all sorts of "unexpected" and mysterious typos, which I have not caused. I paid $82 for "premium" for one year but during the past four months, I believe I spent dozens of hours emailing and trying to fix the problems. No fun.
There is NO Refund, the help desk person informed me. I will not recommend this product to anyone.

edwards92
5/1/17

Abysmal customer service. Ever time I had contact with their customer service I was reminded why I firmly decided I would never do business with this company again, ever! It seems like they go out of their way to be disagreeable.

almirc
4/16/17

Im a current premium user, and Im very disappointed with Grammarly.

My primary computer is a Mac, where I use MS-Word, Slack (web), WhatsApp (web), and Google Docs. *NONE* of them are supported by Grammarly! The suggested alternative on their website is using the Grammarlys Editor. Seriously???

I cant ask for a refund because the trial period is expired. However, I wont renew my license.

So, dont make the same mistake I did by just assuming that Grammarly will support all major applications and Operating Systems. If you want to use it, dig a little bit more about the Cons before you decide if its the right tool for you.

Good luck!

Tip for consumers: Dig a little bit more about the “Cons” before you decide if it’s the right tool for you.

toothys
4/14/17

yeah take me off ur dang mailing list and fix ur web page. asked a "free" question now the spam doesn't stop and the links to manage my preference don't work. when I log into the site it takes me to pay to subscribe only. crap. i wouldn't pay for this is I was paid to.

arna133
3/23/17

Don't waste your time or money with this product. I needed to have it cancelled and a refund because I won't be able to use it and they can't understand that. They have my money and who cares.

neilp29
3/23/17

if I could give it zero stars, I would. don't listen to their bogus reviews on their site. I tried it and it's mediocre at best. they're customer service is the worst I ever had to deal with and when they said they cancelled my subscription, they actually didn't and kept charging me. I had to get it resolved with my bank! STAY FAR FAR AWAY from this company.

Grammarly is a scam.

By Steph J. on 7/22/16
Helpful answer

No it is not free. 139.00 per year.

By Leslie R. on 8/22/16

You can go to school.

By Karina P. on 2/27/17
Helpful answer

I agree with everyone else. I have been using grammarly for almost 2 years and I never had a problem with viruses or anything. It is a good product and well worth the investment.

By Rose B. on 1/5/16
Helpful answer

There is just something mega unusual about the profound resistance of this company against communicating. They will not communicate with the public by phone. If you use their listed number, it is a dead-end answering machine that directs the caller back to their web site. Their product is far from perfect but still is useful and will likely get better. My issues are less about their product than with their impenetrable communication. While I can see that they may not want to offer phone support for such a complex program, the fact that they will not speak to customers about billing issues communicates sociopathic tendencies. Whomever is running the company tries to act like computers more than behaving like people.

By Ed N. on 10/30/12
Helpful answer

Customer service is nonexistent at Grammarly. Their competitor, however, is cheaper and offers live chat. www.whitesmoke.com

By Timothy M. on 5/11/17
Helpful answer

Hi Danielle, Thank you for your question. The cost of a Grammarly subscription goes toward helping us constantly maintain and improve the Grammarly Editor. However, if you sign up for an annual subscription, you can save a bit. (See subscription plans here: https://www.grammarly.com/pricing.) Additionally, you can use the Grammarly Chrome extension for free (http://bit.ly/grammarlychrome). Thanks again, Danielle! Kindly, Ann E. Social Media and Community Analyst Grammarly ann.edwards@grammarly.com

By Celeste M. [Grammarly Rep] on 4/30/15
Helpful answer

No. They will tell you for free how many potential errors they detected, you have to sign up for monthly billing to find out what the errors are.

By Timothy M. on 7/18/17
Helpful answer

No. Grammarly works only in web browers. Your apps are not supported. You'll also lose all character formatting with copy/paste to/from the web browser.

By Steph J. on 5/17/17
Helpful answer

if your problem is small grammar mistakes it's likely that Grammarly can help your grades. It helped me keep my grades up throughout high school.

By Katie S. on 11/21/16
Questions? Get answers from the Grammarly staff and other customers.

Grammarly?