US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

reiduns
1/18/17

Their customer service is prompt and helpful.

However I often have to send them error corrections for things that are not errors. We're talking basic punctuation type things, not contextual or stylistic. Their response is usually "it can't pick up everything." (Paraphrase) the other day it told me that a comma was used incorrectly after a dialogue tag. It read the sentence incorrectly because the dialogue ended with a question mark and closed quotation marks. Grammarly's basic coding should recognize that as one sentence, not two.

I also can't tell it to ignore things like names, or add to a white-list dictionary.

For the most part I LIKE using Grammarly, it has certainly helped keep my grammar and syntax consistent, but I'm glad I got a 50% discount for the first year. I don't think I'm going to renew for the full $140 for a YEAR, but I'm only six months in to my subscription, so if improvements are made I might reconsider it. However a few other applications have been recommended to me, such at ProWritingAid, so I will check them out before I make a decision.

josephg93
1/10/17

I wrote about my first impression of the new neighbourhood that we moved into when I was four years old. Grammarly claimed that there was significant plagiarism. I was disturbed, annoyed and concerned. How can I express myself without plagiarism and who will see this and think that I'm a copycat? I told a friend about this bizarre experience and he said that they were trying to scare me into paying them money.

chuc423
1/5/17

I was on a private browsing but that shouldn't effect it. I downloaded it 3 days ago, thought it sounded brilliant... I finally turned it off when I noticed another spelling error get published. The extension was there and it never ever worked, not even once! I saw a little icon over my text posts but usually the websites have a spellcheck and with grammarly, it disabled the sites spell check so I had to rely on their app which never worked! Absolutely nothing! ... Sorry but I'm not gonna go through a series of emails to figure out the error, hope it gets worked out because its sounds like a great app.

henryp39
12/30/16

I kinda liked Grammarly, but thought I needed to be good at grammar to evaluate whether some of their suggestions were valid or not. Some were great. Some were not valid, Some were optional, just a matter of preference, tho sometimes a good suggestion. But way, way back in time, they used to have a monthly fee version and an outright purchase, desktop version. I purchased the desktop version (with the usual EULA saying like all EULA's you are not an actual owner of the software, you can use it as long as we let you [we support it or whatever], not modify, decompile...it. Just like buying windows ME, XP, 2000, 7, or 8. No monthly fee and it was installed on your computer.) I used Grammarly a lot at first, but tapered off because it could be a hassle to review all their superfulous suggestions. Then one time they indicated I needed to update the software. I did not see any notice that the update changed from the purchase version to the monthly fee version. They had totally discontinued the purchase version, and started charging me monthly fees. I had a heck of a time cancelling and getting a refund. The people I talked to didn't even appear to know about the version I had bought. I wanted the old version back, but it no longer existed.
I thought Grammarly improved my writing, but at a cost of a lot of time and effort to review and approve or disapprove all their suggestions. that was one of the reasons I quit using it regularly. Especially since I thought a lot of the suggestions were optional. e.g. they might suggest I change regularly in the preceding sentence to commonly, faithfully, frequently, repeatedly, routinely, usually, customarily.... Hey good to consider, but it was a nuisance all those instances many, many times in each thing I wrote. Yet if I were writing something very important, it found errors I really wanted to correct and it made proofing easier and perhaps my writing a little more precise. The monthly fee was not worth it for the amount I used it.

vala53
12/23/16

Someone created a Grammarly account using my email address without my permission, because Grammarly does NO verification. I complained, was told they can't delete accounts - and that I had to reset the password and delete it myself. Which I did.

Less than a month later, the same identity thief creates the account again, and Grammarly's useless tech support tells me that they're very sorry, and that I can just reset the password and delete the account...

Avoid at all costs.

joshuap40
12/18/16

I used to like Grammarly's facebook posts, but I have recently had to block them from my newsfeed due to my experience of their browser extension while visiting the Russian Federation this summer. When in Russia, the app extension supposedly for "proofreading" prevents posts containing a list of keywords from being published to Facebook. This indicates to me that Grammarly is complicit with political censorship in a number of countries, and that their app meets the definition of malware. There are posts everywhere soliciting people to install this extension. Trust me, you do not want to go through the headache of being forced to remove words and names of politicians from your posts and finally giving up and using a device without this app extension installed in order to finish your post. Grammarly does not support the concept of political freedom, and it is only a matter of time until this type of censorship is widespread using these types of apps in North America too.

alexa1751
12/3/16

THIS IS BULL. I'm beginning to doubt if this is even anything more than an autocorrect. Other than that, it constantly tries to 'fix' or 'suggest' changes that completely disregard the meaning of the sentence. I'm an amateur writer, so the sentence saying "she showed much promise." is clear and correct. Then why does Grammarly suggest it be either "she showed many promises." or to just get rid of the sentence? I keep trying to go by formats it shows and it makes no difference. In all honesty, I'm beginning to think that once you pass a certain amount of words, it either can't keep up and gives delayed readings OR IT'S A MONEY GRABBER! Saying you have errors when you don't, all so you can buy a plan. Whatever it is, F*%*&!# FIX IT!

berniek20
11/27/16

I opened an account with Grammarly a couple of years ago but found it didn't really suit my somewhat specialised purposes (though I think it's good for most users) and I stopped using it. My subscription renewed automatically last week so I contacted them to say I hadn't intended it to renew and hadn't been using the service for a long time. They had no legal obligation to refund my subscription as the automatic renewal is made clear in their T&Cs but they immediately refunded the money to my paypal account. So overall I was very impressed by their customer service and integrity.

maryh238
11/23/16

a great place to strengthen the paper but some suggestions are definitely wrong

tonyb133
11/23/16

Malware in a broad sense of the word. Make promises they cannot deliver. Claim it is free when it actually charge you a fee. It does not work and you cannot uninstall. You know the words, a malware

ricd
11/7/16

A Grammarly review said my document had 30-some plagiarisms. The 'plagiarisms' turned out to be common single statements of up to ten words that couldn't possibly by copyrighted.
It also 'suggested' using 'says' in the following statement: "I heard a soft, kind, but powerful voice say, "Dont worry. . . . "

johnr400
10/31/16

FinallyI have gotten tired and very upset at grammarly trying to take my writing from me. I also object to the software interrupting me during my comments on social network. Finally, I uninstalled the software. BUT IT DIDN'T GO AWAY. I have rebooted through a restart. When that didn't get rid of it, I turned the system off. Which by the way I had to unplug the system from the system. THE D**N SOFTWARE DIDN'T DISAPPEAR!!!!

stevenm162
10/21/16

Grammarly works. I have seen the reviews on this site, in my opinion it's right 97% of the time. It has the occasional error but it's easy to spot if your proficient in English.

jamesm497
8/15/16

I have used grammarly all along in my writing career, and I find it useful to some extent. Its suggestions sometimes do not make sense, and this requires the writer to be personally proficient in English grammar and syntax. However, I would recommend it to students and new writers, but remember you cannot rely on its suggestions 100%.

clarkkentk
8/9/16

Grammarly has let me down enough times. Cost me some good grades. Use with caution

leslier29
7/24/16

How do I recover a document that is locked then erased by Grammarly? I like the program until it has turned my life into a living hell because I thought the the program completed the scan. I got error message and saved it to find out later that the data is gone. I cannot recover it through any means. I thought I could just correct it later when it had an error message but no,its gone 0 data. The grammarly site says you can look at your work but I can only see what I have loaded into not what it has already scanned and or eliminated by the program. . The program has created credibility problems with plagiarism. It does not cover enough data. . If you were fortunate enough to save any work before the scan is run then you still have to re-accomplish all the work This time everything was gone and I had nothing but my notes to fall back on.Three weeks I worked on that data and Grammraly erased it all.

robc66
7/15/16

When I need to check my content on mistakes, I use grammarly.
But sometimes it shows me suggestions that I would not accept. Even a school student should know that Repetitive word inmate in the "will help the inmates to understand" couldn't be changed on "prisoners". Strange thing.
In general, it is a nice service for checking mistakes.

Tip for consumers: Thoroughly check the mistakes and choose the suggestions

christopherr63
6/15/16

Helped me find some flaws in my work before I submitted it. I recommend it even though you really have to upgrade to make the best use of it. The upgrade cost is really too much for me. Wish they would lower it because I'd definitely buy it.

oscard34
5/13/16

does grammarly take writing that is submitted and if so what is done with it?

tapand
4/26/16

Nice

charlened1
3/18/16

I wanted this product to work. I installed it three times and uninstalled it all three times. I got disgusted with not only the errors in its "advice", but in the aggravation it caused me by putting corrections right on top of the error nd refusing to move the balloons until I addressed the issue, I couldn't address the issue because the balloon covered it. I couldn't even see it to determine if I needed to correct something, much less to fix it if I found it was an error. The main thing it did for me was to point out typos. While that's a good thing, it's not what was promised. If your main problem is typos, go for it. Otherwise, just use a dictionary.

edwarde20
3/5/16

We signed up for Grammarly for 1 year for my daughters MBA dissertation. A year later and after she graduated my credit card was billed again without prior email or announcement.

It's a business practice that is unacceptable. I reported it to AMEX as a fraudulent charge and was issued a new credit card.

There is no reachable customer service and all I have read here by Ann E. are lies. This company is unwilling to return fraudulent changes and will just ignore you.

If they ever charged your card, replace that card because otherwise they will charge you forever.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT FALL FOR THE SITE THERE ARE MUCH BETTER ONES

mattp53
2/22/16

Grammarly's business model in a nutshell, like many other scams nowadays:
1. Hire a programmer or two for a week or two.
2. Build a rudimentary web-based word processor
3. Offer free trials of course, but subscription plans must be no less than $30 a month.
4. Advertise your crap like crazy.
5. Hope for people to forget canceling their subscription at the end of the free trial (chances are some will).
6. No need for providing customer service for those whose credit card has been charged at the end of the free trial.

davido75
2/20/16

has not caught a single punctuation error even if I use none at all why is it so hard to find a bad review are they hiding them with all of their own stuff people need to know the truth before they buy this program if you need something like this Grammarly will not help you oh and this post was proofread by Grammarly it only caught speeling

roseb62
2/15/16

I have problems with sentence structure and grammar. This was the best investment I ever made because it has helped me to write better papers. Whether it is an email, essay, research paper, or annotated bibliography grammarly does help.

31 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Grammarly staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
on 1/16/17
Answer
huzayfas
Huzayfa S.
A: only for premium but everything else is free
it's great!