Review of Grammarly

Tel: 1.800.963.4816
press@grammarly.com

teresaw78
6/25/17

I bought the year after a free trial. A big mistake! I'm a writer and wanted my manuscript checked and edited. I use Microsoft Office to write my novels. Well, after Grammarly highlighted in green I started to make corrections for it to constantly freeze my computer up, freeze my document with each correction that was made . Also. Being a paid customer my clicks to correct are limited. And it shouldn't be. No phone number to call customer service, but yet they claim to have 24 hour customer service. That's not true when a person is assigned to you through email only. Please, don't waste your money on this online service
It's not worth all the aggravating and time consuming effort to correct a document or manuscript. It's garbage and a piece of worthless crap. If there's an editing program to purchase on Disk please let me know . I do not recommend Grammarly to anyone . All of us can't be wrong. It's not a great, wonderful program. It's a waste of money. It's going to take me hours, days and maybe months to sit through this aggravating process to edit .

miriamh14
6/12/17

How can you have a company with no phone number! You aren't a business but thieves stealing people's money!

alexs428
5/15/17

Grammarly is utterly useless if you can't afford to pay for their "premium" service. I used it briefly once to check a review I was writing for a podcast: the free version detected "advanced errors" such as plagiarism, which I was pretty worried about. Tried to fix it, got sent to a page that asked me for money, after they swore up and down that they're a totally free service. I deleted the extension off of Chrome but I still got spammy emails saying things like "see your weekly report" -- clearly lies because I hadn't even used the extension! Finally I found out that there was an "account" on their website I didn't remember making, and I managed to delete that, but now I still see ads for their Youtube page on unrelated videos, even with Adblocker and an extension to block specific Youtube channels!

I am now genuinely concerned that this P.O.S. somehow infected my computer with malware. Stay far, FAR away.

theresep1
5/10/17

As a writer whose English is her second language, I appreciated this software at the beginning when I purchased in January. But there's something wrong with this product. It dies on you, and you "REPORT" every other day. You can be easily frustrated. How is the customer service? They assign someone to help you, but not all are capable of fixing the problems. And this person who send you a link that supposed to help reports that the problem is "fixed" when it's NOT FIXED. After I worked on a project on the screen with Grammarly "turned on" and I see a clean screen, but on the printed page, I find all sorts of "unexpected" and mysterious typos, which I have not caused. I paid $82 for "premium" for one year but during the past four months, I believe I spent dozens of hours emailing and trying to fix the problems. No fun.
There is NO Refund, the help desk person informed me. I will not recommend this product to anyone.

edwards92
5/1/17

Abysmal customer service. Ever time I had contact with their customer service I was reminded why I firmly decided I would never do business with this company again, ever! It seems like they go out of their way to be disagreeable.

almirc
4/16/17

Im a current premium user, and Im very disappointed with Grammarly.

My primary computer is a Mac, where I use MS-Word, Slack (web), WhatsApp (web), and Google Docs. *NONE* of them are supported by Grammarly! The suggested alternative on their website is using the Grammarlys Editor. Seriously???

I cant ask for a refund because the trial period is expired. However, I wont renew my license.

So, dont make the same mistake I did by just assuming that Grammarly will support all major applications and Operating Systems. If you want to use it, dig a little bit more about the Cons before you decide if its the right tool for you.

Good luck!

Tip for consumers: Dig a little bit more about the “Cons” before you decide if it’s the right tool for you.

toothys
4/14/17

yeah take me off ur dang mailing list and fix ur web page. asked a "free" question now the spam doesn't stop and the links to manage my preference don't work. when I log into the site it takes me to pay to subscribe only. crap. i wouldn't pay for this is I was paid to.

arna133
3/23/17

Don't waste your time or money with this product. I needed to have it cancelled and a refund because I won't be able to use it and they can't understand that. They have my money and who cares.

neilp29
3/23/17

if I could give it zero stars, I would. don't listen to their bogus reviews on their site. I tried it and it's mediocre at best. they're customer service is the worst I ever had to deal with and when they said they cancelled my subscription, they actually didn't and kept charging me. I had to get it resolved with my bank! STAY FAR FAR AWAY from this company.

wangq1
3/22/17

First of all, as someone who speak English as a second language my grammar is pretty terrible, so Grammarly has helped me catch plenty of mistakes.

But it is still a piece of $#*! program from a piece of $#*! company. Sure, you can use it for free, but a little blue number on the corner keep on reminding you how many 'advance mistake' you made to try and bait you into its paid subscription service, and you can't cancel it out within Grammarly. No biggie if you don't care, but if you are a perfectionist it'll quickly make you want to tear your hair out.

But what made me furious to the point I give it one star (and I'd go lower if this site allows me to) is this program can't even keep consistency within itself. I tested this by intentionally written 'I'm not make of glass' in one sentence which I know it's wrong grammar, so Grammarly suggested me to change it into 'I'm not made of glass'... and then it PICK UP ITS OWN CORRECTION AS ADVANCE ERROR!

So the company intentionally programmed its grammar correction program to give you wrong correction just to bait you for subscription fee.

That's why my score for Grammarly is: 2 flame middle finger $#*! YOU out of 5 stars

caspianl
3/22/17

Great service! I use it regularly writing my essays and it really helps to catch mistakes and typos. Thanks!

am8979
3/20/17

Watch out!!!! This is one of those companies that auto-renews at a much higher rate and it appears you can't get out of if unless you cancel before the renewal date. I hate this type of slimy business move

katies28
3/8/17

I use the free version of grammarly (while I'd love more capability that the paid one gives, I just don't want to spend the money) and I use it primarily for finding simple grammar/spelling mistakes in essays for college/applications/school assignments. It's helped me fix lots of little problems that would have counted off a few points in school, so I could even say it's helped my grades. I installed the web app of it also (on my MacBook) and I haven't experienced any problems. I noticed that some other reviewers complained of hidden fees in the "free" version, but I've never experienced that. I've been using it for a bit longer than a year. Overall, I've recommended it to people already and I plan to continue recommending it unless something comes up. So far, this app has proven very helpful for me.

reiduns
1/18/17

Their customer service is prompt and helpful.

However I often have to send them error corrections for things that are not errors. We're talking basic punctuation type things, not contextual or stylistic. Their response is usually "it can't pick up everything." (Paraphrase) the other day it told me that a comma was used incorrectly after a dialogue tag. It read the sentence incorrectly because the dialogue ended with a question mark and closed quotation marks. Grammarly's basic coding should recognize that as one sentence, not two.

I also can't tell it to ignore things like names, or add to a white-list dictionary.

For the most part I LIKE using Grammarly, it has certainly helped keep my grammar and syntax consistent, but I'm glad I got a 50% discount for the first year. I don't think I'm going to renew for the full $140 for a YEAR, but I'm only six months in to my subscription, so if improvements are made I might reconsider it. However a few other applications have been recommended to me, such at ProWritingAid, so I will check them out before I make a decision.

josephg93
1/10/17

I wrote about my first impression of the new neighbourhood that we moved into when I was four years old. Grammarly claimed that there was significant plagiarism. I was disturbed, annoyed and concerned. How can I express myself without plagiarism and who will see this and think that I'm a copycat? I told a friend about this bizarre experience and he said that they were trying to scare me into paying them money.

chuc423
1/5/17

I was on a private browsing but that shouldn't effect it. I downloaded it 3 days ago, thought it sounded brilliant... I finally turned it off when I noticed another spelling error get published. The extension was there and it never ever worked, not even once! I saw a little icon over my text posts but usually the websites have a spellcheck and with grammarly, it disabled the sites spell check so I had to rely on their app which never worked! Absolutely nothing! ... Sorry but I'm not gonna go through a series of emails to figure out the error, hope it gets worked out because its sounds like a great app.

henryp39
12/30/16

I kinda liked Grammarly, but thought I needed to be good at grammar to evaluate whether some of their suggestions were valid or not. Some were great. Some were not valid, Some were optional, just a matter of preference, tho sometimes a good suggestion. But way, way back in time, they used to have a monthly fee version and an outright purchase, desktop version. I purchased the desktop version (with the usual EULA saying like all EULA's you are not an actual owner of the software, you can use it as long as we let you [we support it or whatever], not modify, decompile...it. Just like buying windows ME, XP, 2000, 7, or 8. No monthly fee and it was installed on your computer.) I used Grammarly a lot at first, but tapered off because it could be a hassle to review all their superfulous suggestions. Then one time they indicated I needed to update the software. I did not see any notice that the update changed from the purchase version to the monthly fee version. They had totally discontinued the purchase version, and started charging me monthly fees. I had a heck of a time cancelling and getting a refund. The people I talked to didn't even appear to know about the version I had bought. I wanted the old version back, but it no longer existed.
I thought Grammarly improved my writing, but at a cost of a lot of time and effort to review and approve or disapprove all their suggestions. that was one of the reasons I quit using it regularly. Especially since I thought a lot of the suggestions were optional. e.g. they might suggest I change regularly in the preceding sentence to commonly, faithfully, frequently, repeatedly, routinely, usually, customarily.... Hey good to consider, but it was a nuisance all those instances many, many times in each thing I wrote. Yet if I were writing something very important, it found errors I really wanted to correct and it made proofing easier and perhaps my writing a little more precise. The monthly fee was not worth it for the amount I used it.

vala53
12/23/16

Someone created a Grammarly account using my email address without my permission, because Grammarly does NO verification. I complained, was told they can't delete accounts - and that I had to reset the password and delete it myself. Which I did.

Less than a month later, the same identity thief creates the account again, and Grammarly's useless tech support tells me that they're very sorry, and that I can just reset the password and delete the account...

Avoid at all costs.

joshuap40
12/18/16

I used to like Grammarly's facebook posts, but I have recently had to block them from my newsfeed due to my experience of their browser extension while visiting the Russian Federation this summer. When in Russia, the app extension supposedly for "proofreading" prevents posts containing a list of keywords from being published to Facebook. This indicates to me that Grammarly is complicit with political censorship in a number of countries, and that their app meets the definition of malware. There are posts everywhere soliciting people to install this extension. Trust me, you do not want to go through the headache of being forced to remove words and names of politicians from your posts and finally giving up and using a device without this app extension installed in order to finish your post. Grammarly does not support the concept of political freedom, and it is only a matter of time until this type of censorship is widespread using these types of apps in North America too.

alexa1751
12/3/16

THIS IS BULL. I'm beginning to doubt if this is even anything more than an autocorrect. Other than that, it constantly tries to 'fix' or 'suggest' changes that completely disregard the meaning of the sentence. I'm an amateur writer, so the sentence saying "she showed much promise." is clear and correct. Then why does Grammarly suggest it be either "she showed many promises." or to just get rid of the sentence? I keep trying to go by formats it shows and it makes no difference. In all honesty, I'm beginning to think that once you pass a certain amount of words, it either can't keep up and gives delayed readings OR IT'S A MONEY GRABBER! Saying you have errors when you don't, all so you can buy a plan. Whatever it is, F*%*&!# FIX IT!

berniek20
11/27/16

I opened an account with Grammarly a couple of years ago but found it didn't really suit my somewhat specialised purposes (though I think it's good for most users) and I stopped using it. My subscription renewed automatically last week so I contacted them to say I hadn't intended it to renew and hadn't been using the service for a long time. They had no legal obligation to refund my subscription as the automatic renewal is made clear in their T&Cs but they immediately refunded the money to my paypal account. So overall I was very impressed by their customer service and integrity.

maryh238
11/23/16

a great place to strengthen the paper but some suggestions are definitely wrong

tonyb133
11/23/16

Malware in a broad sense of the word. Make promises they cannot deliver. Claim it is free when it actually charge you a fee. It does not work and you cannot uninstall. You know the words, a malware

ricd
11/7/16

A Grammarly review said my document had 30-some plagiarisms. The 'plagiarisms' turned out to be common single statements of up to ten words that couldn't possibly by copyrighted.
It also 'suggested' using 'says' in the following statement: "I heard a soft, kind, but powerful voice say, "Dont worry. . . . "

johnr400
10/31/16

FinallyI have gotten tired and very upset at grammarly trying to take my writing from me. I also object to the software interrupting me during my comments on social network. Finally, I uninstalled the software. BUT IT DIDN'T GO AWAY. I have rebooted through a restart. When that didn't get rid of it, I turned the system off. Which by the way I had to unplug the system from the system. THE D**N SOFTWARE DIDN'T DISAPPEAR!!!!

Helpful answer

No it is not free. 139.00 per year.

By Leslie R. on 8/22/16

You can go to school.

By Karina P. on 2/27/17

Grammarly is a scam.

By Steph J. on 7/22/16
Helpful answer

I agree with everyone else. I have been using grammarly for almost 2 years and I never had a problem with viruses or anything. It is a good product and well worth the investment.

By Rose B. on 1/5/16
Helpful answer

There is just something mega unusual about the profound resistance of this company against communicating. They will not communicate with the public by phone. If you use their listed number, it is a dead-end answering machine that directs the caller back to their web site. Their product is far from perfect but still is useful and will likely get better. My issues are less about their product than with their impenetrable communication. While I can see that they may not want to offer phone support for such a complex program, the fact that they will not speak to customers about billing issues communicates sociopathic tendencies. Whomever is running the company tries to act like computers more than behaving like people.

By Ed N. on 10/30/12
Helpful answer

Hi Danielle, Thank you for your question. The cost of a Grammarly subscription goes toward helping us constantly maintain and improve the Grammarly Editor. However, if you sign up for an annual subscription, you can save a bit. (See subscription plans here: https://www.grammarly.com/pricing.) Additionally, you can use the Grammarly Chrome extension for free (http://bit.ly/grammarlychrome). Thanks again, Danielle! Kindly, Ann E. Social Media and Community Analyst Grammarly ann.edwards@grammarly.com

By Celeste M. [Grammarly Rep] on 4/30/15
Helpful answer

No. Grammarly works only in web browers. Your apps are not supported. You'll also lose all character formatting with copy/paste to/from the web browser.

By Steph J. on 5/17/17
Helpful answer

You don't want this. The product is $130 as a subscription service and automatically renews. The product comes from Russia-Ukraine and may host malware or a virus. Grammarly is mostly pushed on social media with big money (from your $130). Other better products exist for $50 purchase and no renewing subscription. How Two Ukrainians created English Spell Check Service Valued at $100 mln: http://escadra.com.ua/en/kak-dvoe-kievlyan-sozdali-servis-proverki-anglijskogo-pravopisaniya-stoimostyu-100-mln.html

By Steph J. on 5/11/17
Helpful answer

only for premium but everything else is free it's great!

By Huzayfa S. on 1/16/17
Helpful answer

if your problem is small grammar mistakes it's likely that Grammarly can help your grades. It helped me keep my grades up throughout high school.

By Katie S. on 11/21/16
Questions? Get answers from the Grammarly staff and other customers.

Grammarly?