US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

alym8
11/10/16

I have always wanted a ruby engagement ring, but had just about given up until I came across gemsNY. Most shops rent a few rubies and try to push them on you with little to no information.

I made an appointment and they were able to show me all the nuances in different clarity, colors, brilliance, and heated/non heated (walked me through more like). Prices were at least half what we had seen at places before and in my one appointment, I saw over 10 stones in person.

I can't speak for the online experience, but I highly suggest this company (and if you can make a quick trip or a vacation to NYC, you can see any stone from the website in person!) People were very friendly, helpful, and I never felt pressured out o my price range - they showed stones well below in fact!

pedror33
11/6/16

I met with Ernie at the location. After trying to convince my girlfriend against emeralds and failing... I had to do my research on emeralds and jewelers. I found my way many times on Gemsny, and I saw a loose emerald I favored and just after a few weeks it was gone! I really needed to pull the trigger this time, but I really wanted to see the stones in person.

I didn't make an appointment, but they were willing to work with me when I walked in on a Friday at 5pm. I met with Ernie, and he was absolutely welcoming and willing to answer all my questions. He showed me multiple stones in my budget, and settings. The stone is really the most important part of the ring. He spent 2 hours with me, and helped me pick the right gem, and showed the difference in quality. He really made the experience stress free, and I was at the location pass the time of closing and he never once rushed me.

Absolutely recommend! They also do custom designs which was great. I only recommend making an appointment and visiting the site to get a better idea what you're looking for in price, size and color. If everyone else is like Ernie then I bet they all give a great experience!

Can't wait to see the ring complete!!! This was my first time going into a shop, and I walked out with a gem and setting picked. Easy process!

brianm242
10/20/16

The whole process was smooth and easy. The quality of the stones and setting are superb. The handling of the order and the shipping went as smooth as can be and the employees were always available to help

I wouldn't buy jewelry anywhere else except GemsNY from now on

robertb371
9/14/16

I wanted to give my wife something special for our 40th Wedding Anniversary. After shopping local jewelry stores and many online jewelers, I chose a Ruby Tennis Bracelet from Gemsny.
When I asked if it would be possible to have the bracelet on time, they did everything possible to help me out.
The bracelet arrived yesterday, I gave it to my wife last evening and she was thrilled. It surpassed all of my expectations in both quality and value. Unlike other Rubies that I've seen, these were natural and a deep red color. We couldn't be more pleased. In the future, my first stop will be this jeweler.

davids561
8/4/16

I live in New Zealand and contacted GemsNY via email about making a custom three stone engagement ring to pick up when visiting New York. Vishal and I emailed back and forth over a period of about 6 weeks tweaking the design before I finally settled on the make up of it. He was very accommodating and answered lots of questions along the way which was definitely appreciated. The final act was selecting the centre stone (emerald) when I was in New York. Again, Vishal was great to deal with this time in person answering questions etc and I eventually settled on the stone. The final product looks awesome and I'm very happy with it.

The reason I've given a four star review is the valuation - I paid US $3,850 for the custom platinum and diamond setting and US $3,092 for the centre emerald, so US $6,942 total with three GIA (trustworthy) certificates. I have since had the ring valued after arriving home for insurance purposes by a GIA registered valuer and they valued the centre emerald at only US $1,800 which is quite a lot less than I paid which is disappointing. It's significantly less than the UGL (not trustworthy) certificate that came with it estimating a retail value for the emerald alone at US $6,500 although I knew to take that value with a grain of salt. Fortunately, the two side diamonds were valued much higher than what I paid for them so overall the total ring was about the right price. The ring has been valued at US $7,476 compared with GemsNY valuation of it at $16,500 which I knew would have been over-inflated I just didn't realise by how much!

Anyway, all in all I'm extremely happy with the ring I designed and bought with Vishal's help and would shop here again. I got value for money but not to the extent the GemsNY or UGL valuations would suggest.

jamesm459
6/2/16

I was shopping for a very special birthday gift for my wife and happened to stumble across their website. Of course, there were hesitations with spending money with a business I wasn't familiar with sight unseen. After reading dozens of reviews from different sources I decided to go with them.

After surfing their site I had an idea of what I wanted. A natural unenhanced sapphire c0cktail ring. I noticed that it had an approximate wait time of 12 days listed and didn't have this amount of time. Like most men, I was scrambling for a last minute gift. I decided to call the store direct and Vishal answered the phone. He was very pleasant and walked me through the process answering my many questions professionally. I believe he nailed exactly what I was looking for and emailed me a few options high to low of my taste. After selecting all of it, I explained that I needed this setting cast, set, and back to me in Florida by Friday from noon on Monday. Although he explained that this would be pressed, he said they would make every attempt to get it to me and he was sure, barring no hiccups, that I would have it in time for our weekend houseboat trip over Memorial Day. MAN DID THEY COME THROUGH!!! This gift knocked the socks off of my wife, and their service and expediency knocked mine off. GREAT JOB!

davidi27
5/13/16

I recently purchased a custom birth stone ring from Gemsny for my wife. I live in Nevada and Gemsny is in New York. I was a little nervous, but I wanted to give my wife a very special ring. After looking on their site and working with Vishal, I ordered a ring. I got to choose the stones except the garnet, Vishal picked out this stone, nice job. I choose the setting with my wife's approval of course. We got to see what the ring will look like before placing the order. When we received the ring, my wife absolutely loves it. She even made the comment "it's nicer than I had expected". When it is time again to buy that special piece, rings, earrings, pendent, ect..., I will definitely shop Gemsny. I found this place online because I could not find what my wife wanted locally in Las Vegas Nv. Thank very much Gemsny.

meltonf7
4/11/16

GemsNY has excellent gems and outstanding craftmenship in designer jewelry.

lr43
4/11/16

I was absolutely blown away with the impeccable service provided by GemsNY - after initially dealing with the vendors in the Diamond District stores, I was turned to GemsNy as a last hope ... and I couldn't be happier with my finding. Their gems are quality, and prices are amazing. Above all, GemsNy will have my business exclusively due to the excellent customer service and straight forward policies. I highly recommend them!

Thanks so much for a great shopping experience, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase! LR

rachelm87
3/4/16

Worked with Vishal on a custom ring. He talked with me by phone and email to help me decide on the design and provided me with very quick quotes based on different options. The process was quick and painless, and the final ring is absolutely gorgeous, exactly what I pictured!! I would not hesitate to order from GemsNY again.

williaml94
1/11/16

My wife had looked for a specific ring that she wanted for Christmas and had found it at GemsNY online. She asked me to take a look at it and see if I liked it too. I did like it and agreed that I would buy it, but it was no longer available the next day. She was very disappointed so I called GemsNY and they agreed to create the ring that she wanted at the very same price that it had been online. The person I spoke to was very understanding and wonderful to work with.

He gave me an approximate date when he thought it would ship. We received the ring several days before that date and my wife loved it. Great quality with supporting documentation.

All in all, this is a great company to work with. Thanks for everything.

dannyv8
12/7/15

This is the first time that I buy a jewel online, and it was an awesome experience. I got an excellent gem at a fair price. The service was amazing and the product great. Everything, from the order to the delivery was handled to perfection. I would recommend GemsNY to my family and friends.

ruthieg2
11/5/15

My bracelet arrived yesterday and it is even more beautiful than I thought it would be. A little nerve-wracking to order from just a picture but the finished product is so gorgeous. We're impressed at how the whole process proceeded. Thinking of asking for another piece of jewelry. Thanks so much!

sophiad6
9/22/15

The prices, selection and certification are unmatched. My wife loves her GIA certified ruby pendant. I would recommend gemsny to everyone!

shawnk5
10/29/14

Extremely impressed with the quality and service from this site. I compared it to my own personal jeweler as well as other private jewelers and GemsNY was by far the best option. The gemologists here also took a lot of time to talk to me over the phone (I live on the west coast) and made sure I picked the right stone. I will always come hear for my jewelry purchases!

thomasm73
8/2/14

Awesome. Just received our fourth it from Gemsny. They have been great. Wife's engagement ring has the most beautiful sapphire I've ever seen. Two wedding bands. And now a matching pendant with another stunning sapphire.

Great jewels, selection and service.

susannem2
1/1/14

Bought a beautiful 8x6 blue sapphire, love it. Diamonds in the princess diana style are stunning. Cant find ANY AAAA grade intense color blue sapphires anywhere in Denver, i had never seen one in person best I could find was AA rating which are pretty but the brillance in this level makes you never want to take your eyes off it. Placed order, spoke to them about stones i was looking at and were helpful. Order came perfectly. Honestly a stone with AA quality and 1/3 carat diamonds would have cost me twice as much so this was a great deal + no one even when i go to Jareds where i buy most of my jewerly has seen this stone quality. Will use again.

tammys9
10/5/13

GemsNY is the only company I know which has such a large selection of GIA certified rubies. I was looking to purchase a 2ct untreated ruby . I looked EVERYWHERE within 50miles of my house and was able to find only 1 jeweler who had 1 ruby which was untreated. He asked over $35,000 for the ruby and didnt have any certifications on it. He said he could get the GIA done in about 4-5 weeks if I put down a 50% deposit on the ruby. I didnt feel comfortable putting down $17,500 and having to wait a month. So I started my search online and found GemsNY had a huge selection of GIA certified rubies. Also not only the selection but the prices were unbelievably less. I ordered the ruby with one of their settings and received the ring in about 1.5weeks complete. I cannot believe the difference in price and quality of the ruby. I just had to go back to the jeweler to make sure. I saw both the rubies next to each other and actually they both looked similar. However, I paid $14,500 for my ruby compared to $35,000 the jeweler was charging without GIA cert. Also it helped that GemsNY ruby already had a GIA cert with the stone so I didnt need to wait.

miked74
10/3/13

Comparison Shopping option is incredible
Called customer service few weeks ago to inquire about the six alexandrites that I was considering. The staff was very knowledgeable and help me narrow it down to two items. I couldnt make up my mind so they offered to send me both stones for comparison. It helped that they only charge 50% of the total amount of the stones. After seeing both stones in person I could see why I couldnt make up my mind over the phone. I liked the size of one of them better than the other and chose that one. Returned both the stones to them as I decided to give them a try for the custom ring I was looking to make. Received the ring 2.5weeks later which is far better than my local jeweler who quoted me 4-6 weeks time. The quality on the ring is great, the diamonds are extremely sparkly and the metal is very shiny. Great company overall.

jamesm138
8/14/13

I have purchased three times already with GemsNY. I made my second purchase using installment plan and just finished paying off for it yesterday. I have to tell you that besides their ridiculously low prices this is something which easily breaks them apart from their competition. I didnt need to give any personal information such as social security number or copy of dirver license to qualify for the plan. Also the plan is very simple to use. My ring was for $2250 and I had to pay initially 50% down payment so $1125. The rest of the $1125 they broke it up into three equal installments which were due every two months with no interest charged. I received an email notification ten days and one day before of the due date of each installment. My card was charged automatically on the specified date and I received a confirmation the same day. The only thing they can improve on this plan is that they only offer it for items over $750. That is fine for some major purchase but the smaller items I am not able to use it.

maryg36
8/13/13

I have done a lot of retail shopping before purchasing from GemsNY. I can tell you no other retailer even comes close in terms of value. I was nervous about buying online, but the earrings far exceeded my expectations. The earrings I purchased was appraised by GemsNY for 12,500 but after getting it independently appraised, it appraised for over $17,000! Superb value.

Mary, Sterling CT

kaef
7/18/13

My fiancee created a custom sapphire engagement ring at Gemsny. I was nervous about it when he gave it to me initially even though it looked beautiful (because it was purchased online), so we took it for an independent appraisal. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase.

The quality of the sapphire is top notch. It's almost the color of Tanzanite but she verified that it is indeed a sapphire. The clarity is flawless and the cut is excellent as they claimed in their appraisal. The one notch star reduction is due to their claim about the quality of the diamonds surrounding the sapphire which they rated as VS2 color F, but were rated by her as SI2 color H. I know there can be some variation between appraiser opinions, but I tend to agree with her considering I can see a little black spot in each of the diamonds with my bare eyes if I look closely, and I saw the inclusions with the eye piece as well.

I wasn't too concerned with this since the diamonds were just accents to the main feature which was this gorgeous sapphire. The diamond ratings did affect the value from their estimated retail value, but it still appraised way above what we paid at GemsNY. We really did receive a good value for our money and plan to look at wedding bands there as well... just maybe not with diamonds.

anitag6
6/21/13

My god daughter turned 18 years old on June 12th. I'd been looking for an emerald ring for her birthday for about half a year, since 18 is the transition year from "girl" to "young woman". Everything I looked at in Toronto that I liked was far beyond what I could afford to buy and it was all retail.

I was extremely hesitant to order from Gemsny even after researching the company on the internet. I live in Toronto, but wholesale met my requirements and pocketbook. I paid with PayPal, so I felt a certain security because if it was a fake, PayPal would get my money back for me (as PayPal has done this for me before with unscrupulous merchants).

I spoke with Vishnu on several occasions before I chose the emerald. He was knowledgeable and very helpful in choosing the emerald to place in the setting I had chosen. My goddaughter loves the ring. It was the best deal I could find and this 5-star rating is genuine, from a satisfied and grateful customer.

richardh42
6/20/13

Highly satisfactory transaction in all respects. After searching for a man's gold Alexandrite ring, I found gemsny to have the best selection of stones and settings at a sensible price. Vishnu is knowledgeable and politely provided helpful ideas for the optimum combination. The weight of the ring is just right, the service was efficient, and the ring looks great.

jeannez
6/6/13

I have not made a purchase yet. I can say that the response back to my questions regarding rubies I looked at was timely, detailed, and very helpful. I found their policies laid out very clearly on their website. The selection of rubies, sapphires and emeralds along with ring and pendant settings is awesome. Now, if I could only make up mind, I would definitely buy from Gemsny.

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the GemsNY staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
kellsr
kells r.
on 4/16/16
Answer
vishnub1
Vishnu B. [GemsNY Rep]
A: As of 4/18/2016, only gems over $5,000 will have laser id numbers inscribed. The number inscribed will be a unique number that we have assigned.
on 4/18/16
on 3/8/13
Answer
christianp29
christian P.
A: no hacen envios a PERU?
on 5/22/16
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the GemsNY staff and other customers.

12 Photos for GemsNY