Review of AutoSlash

support@autoslash.com
2017 Customer choice award

judiths77
8/19/17

I have used Autoslash for several years. Always saved a lot of money! No more! They must have been bought out by priceline or something. Now you haveto go through more steps and for the last 3 times in the past 4 months, they came down once after the initial priceline quote, and never nomore. Completely different than previously.

Response from Chris L., AutoSlash Representative
Hi Judith, thanks for your feedback. We most definitely weren't bought out by Priceline. The rental companies keep taking steps to block us from helping you find lower rates, and so we're not able to book directly anymore. However, one thing has not changed and will never change: our mission to help you find the lowest possible rates. Since we can't book directly, we now have to refer people to other sites where they can book the rates we find. Currently, Priceline's booking system is the best alternative option (other sites are missing a lot of functionality), so that's why we are currently referring people to Priceline--but we're working on adding other vendors, too, so you can book through the site of your choice. (We're also working on ways to streamline the process of booking and making sure you are able to easily keep us updated with what you're booked with so we can help you keep looking for even better deals.) In any case, though, we have not changed the method we use to _find_ the rates, only to _book_ the rates, so the rates we find now are still the same rates we found before. If you have any questions, please don't ever hesitate to reach out to us by email--we have a small but dedicated and *very* passionate team of super-experienced frequent travelers who love to share their passion for travel and help make sure you have the best possible rate. Just email us and we'll be glad to make sure you are taken care of. We look forward to helping you get the best possible rate on your car rental!
alexanderb79
5/2/17

Autoslash is a must use if you are renting a car. I have saved thousands of dollars over the course of a year using Autoslash. Here is my story: I moved to North Caarolina to work as a wilderness guide, my schedule was one week in the woods and one week at home. When I moved, I could not afford a car, and was not sure of a solution to my need for transportation when I was off of work. Luckily for me, Autoslash appeared in my life just at that time! Just about every off-shift for the past year and a half, I have used Autoslash to book a car rental, typically at a price between $80-$115 per week. The opportunity to use Autoslash allowed me to drive in band-new cars, trucks, Jeeps, SUVs, all for a cost of about $200/month, while also keeping my car insurance costs low and car maintenance cost at $0, even though I would drive from western North Carolina down to South Florida, to Indianapolis, Chicago, Princenton, Chattanooga, and all through the southern states. I am so grateful for Autoslash, thanks so much! Highly recommended!

cheryls92
2/13/17

I have used autoslash at least a dozen times and have saved money almost every time. While the initial price quote may not seem much different that other websites, if you register your reservation, they let you know if a lower price becomes available for your dates (taking into account any discounts you are eligible for like AAA, etc.). If you choose to accept a lower rate, you do have to book at the lower rate and cancel the initial reservation. I always then followup with a phone call to the rental company to confirm the reservation and be sure my frequent renter number is added. I just saved $100 on a 3 day rental in Alaska because of autoslash. I've never had any difficulty picking up my car or being charged more than quoted. I love this website.

ps you can register a reservation that you made yourself on another site or a reservation that you made through autoslash.

stepheng78
1/9/17

Autoslash rocks. Saved $170 for a week in Florida.

I saw this on US News & World Report and wanted to try it. As a test, I booked through my typical brand name car rental company for my Florida trip.......1 Week @ $466 (includes AAA discount).

Then I tried Autoslash. Their price (different rental company) was $380.
I reserved it.

I also "requested a quote". About 10 minutes later they emailed with a major rental company for $290 for the week. I re-booked it! AND, if the price drops, I will save more!

Super easy, big savings.

douglasm78
11/1/16

I decided to use a bunch of sites to get the best rate. This one pops up as the highest rated. The prices they came up with, after a half hour wait, were not anywhere near as low as several of their competitors. The other came up with better prices with a click, these guys make you give them personal information, wait for an email, and then come up with at least $5+ higher rates? So .....I'd STRONGLY not recommend this at all!

Response from Chris L., AutoSlash Representative
Hey Douglas! The reason we email you the quote is that it takes a little time for us to search through and test the hundreds of coupon codes we have on file, so rather than make you stare at a blank web page for several minutes, we just email you an alert when we're done. We don't need any other personal information than your email address, and we only ever use that to notify you of your quote. No marketing or anything! (We hate spam as much as you do.)

While I'm confident that we are able to find and help you book some of the very best rates in the rental industry, if you've managed to find even better rates, that's great! Our goal is to make sure that people never overpay for their rental cars by booking the full retail rate when there are so many coupons out there that can discount your rental. It sounds like you didn't overpay, so that's awesome. As a completely free service, we're glad to be a tool in your belt to help you find the best prices, but ultimately, we're happy as long as you book the best deal. One thing, though--many other sites that have discounted car rentals make you prepay for them and charge a cancellation fee if your plans change. Our rates and reservations are just like normal non-prepaid rental car reservations, so there's no prepayment necessary and no penalty to change or cancel. Just wanted to make sure you have any surprises with your reservation.

Safe travels, and if you need anything, please don't hesitate to contact us--there's an easy form on our website, or you can reply to your quote email and we'll be glad to help!
tomm1167
10/4/16

Ive used AutoSlash for about two years and take two major vacations a year and other misc. trips requiring a rental car. Last Spring during Spring Break, they saved me over $1000 on a two month rental. In November we are in Hawaii, they have our midsized car down to around $180 for a week....that includes taxes etc.

Love These guys.

sues105
8/15/16

When looking to book a car rental from the Savannah Airport, then the Burlington VT airport, for an August 2016 trip, I was met with some of the highest car rental fares this past summer... I started looking in May for rates, and everything was crazy expensive... so I booked and would keep checking, and if lower rates came out I'd book at the lower rate... who has this kind of time... while in this process, I came across Auto Slash... and their policy is to continue price checking up until your rental time.... so I kept my reservations, and booked with AutoSlash... over time my Savannah rental for 10 days came down a total of $125 about half what it was originally, and my Burlington 5 day rental came down $20 (however the price over all went up nearly $100 on Burlington rentals). In all cases, I called in to each rental agency and confirmed my reservation, and could even go on line and find it... NOTE: there is an AutoSlash reservation number, AND a different confirmation number for the car rental company... use the rental car agency's confirmation number to find your reservation NOT the AutoSlash reservation number... I was able to print my reservations directly from the agency each rental was with... all pricing was honored.... And trust me, since it was my first experience I double and tripled checked that this company was really getting me the best price... and it did!! Way easier to use Auto Slash than having to monitor yourself for price drops and specials. I'll never use any other form of car rental booking again... so long as the same service is provided. And when I had questions, thru email, all email responses were handled quickly... the only thing that didn't work was when replying if one has a need for an 'urgent' response time, to reply with the existing correspondences with all the confirmation info in tact, I could NOT change the subject line to say 'urgent'. I actually had to start a new email thread...otherwise it was very easy to navigate, and communicate. Thank you Auto Slash!!!

stuartb55
7/22/16

Reservation for a Suburban in Honolulu on 7-22-2016. Got to Avis counter who said Auto Slash is "Scammers, Liars and Thieves. Would not honor the Avis reservation without us being a member of something we have never heard of. Charged us $800 more than what we had a reservation for. We called Avis 5 days ago and they verified the reservations.

Response from Chris L., AutoSlash Representative
Hey Stuart, sorry to hear of the hassle with Avis. I can understand your frustration. Our rates are guaranteed. If you can reach out to us by email, we'll be glad to follow up on this for you.
mariamg3
7/12/16

As a first time user of AutoSlash I was not trusting the website (didn't know the website existed or anyone around me).

As being 4th of July holiday the rates for family Vans were crazy (too freaking high) so I tried the website and as promised, I got a great deal from a reputable company in the LAX airport (only one minor counter was I had miles restrictions a day, minor issue for me because I knew I wasn't going to drive more than 100 miles a day).

Autoslash send me several emails when I booked my reservation through them, the important email and the one that took some of my doubts away was a reservation email with both booking # for autoslash and the main rental company. With that booking #, I went to the rental company website and typed the booking or reservation # provided and I could find that indeed they had a reservation on my name showing the expected rate and the dates. I Printed that page and took with me (just in case).

The day to pick up the rental, we did encounter a problem at the rental company. In short words we spend about an hour arguing because the counter employee messed up something in the computer and didn't wanted to honor the rate. Immediately I called Autoslash, as being a free site they don't have live customer support but I left a VM and sent an email with the URGENT word in it as they instructed (THEY CALLED ME BACK RIGHT AWAY) one Autoslash rep was on the phone with me the entire time and they talked directly to the counter associate and then the manager. At the end, the manager was able to modify the rate and provide me with the rate I booked and everything worked out! Even after the week rental, when I returned the MiniVan I didn't encounter any issues!

Honestly, I had a great price and best experience with Autoslash... I would recommend it to anyone!

ls108
6/28/16

4 days before picking up a car rental that was reserved two weeks in advance, I received an email telling me my rental had gone up over $100 more than my original reservation. Fortunately, I was able to book my rental for an even lower price than I was quoted through Autoslash. How is it that the very online price I directly can get is lower than one quoted by Autoslash? To say the least, I feel totally ripped off by Autoslash and will not use them again.

Response from Chris L., AutoSlash Representative
Hi L S., sorry for any confusion. I'd be glad to look into this and see what happened. We're glad you found a lower rate (we just want you to get the best possible rate on your car--that's our mission, even if it's not through us!), but it sounds like there was some confusion. I'd like to get to the bottom of this and make sure it doesn't happen again. Can you reach out to us by email so we can take care of that for you?
kellyb105
9/11/15

Price was completely different from what was stated.

Response from Chris L., AutoSlash Representative
Hi Kelly B., we are glad to guarantee our rates. If you can reach out to us by email, we'll be glad to follow up and make sure you only pay what you were quoted in your reservation. Sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
lyndar10
8/25/15

Do not use this company. I was sent a price that I accepted. Several days later, they cancelled my reservation without asking me and made a new one for me that had fees that would increase the price by $200. After spending days writing emails and trying to call their customer service number, I still have no resolution.

Response from Chris L., AutoSlash Representative
Hi Lynda R., I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I know it's been awhile since you wrote this, and I do apologize for not responding earlier. I looked through our entire email archive and can't find any record of any emails from you. Can you send us a message through our website (just click the "help" link at the top of the homepage), since it seems like the emails you sent may not have gotten delivered to us? I would love to make sure we get to the bottom of this and get this resolved for you. Again, I apologize for the confusion and will be glad to make sure you're taken care of.
jt63
5/23/15

I attempted to a rent a car today on Autoslash. During the review process I was provided a "TotalPrice is guaranteed" price of $611.82. When I selected the Complete Reservation tab I was sent an email with a confirmed price of $2732.42. I then called customer service and spoke to a nice gal that put me on hold for over 15 minutes and then told me I had to call Avis to cancel the reservation as she could not cancel it. An hour later I was able to cancel and they would not honor their guaranteed price.

Response from Chris L., AutoSlash Representative
Hey Jeffrey, so sorry about the hassle! Looks like adding your Avis Preferred member number overrode the discounted rate we found (that's the way Avis has designed their Preferred system, unfortunately). Also, best to email us rather than call--the phone number in the reservation confirmation email actually goes to our booking vendor, not us. I've sent you a follow-up email response privately to get this resolved. Thanks for reaching out!
tiffanyp
10/25/10

I looooooooove autoslash! I can't say this enough.

If you're needing to rent a car, you just type in the location and it lets you select the type of vehicle you need for cheaper than you'll find anywhere else.

Not ONLY this, but if a cheaper price occurs, it re-books the same vehicle for you and sends you a new confirmation through email.

If you don't trust me, just google reviews on it! It's amazing!

14 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Hi Rick, so sorry for the delayed response. Somehow, SiteJabber didn't notify us of your question. It's best to contact us through our site--we usually reply to inquiries within minutes there. The specific location you'll pick the car up at depends on which company you book. Some companies are on-site at some airports and others require a shuttle. Specific on/off-airport information is shown during the booking process for your specific airport. As for the price, reservations are confirmed and guaranteed directly in the rental company's own reservation system. After booking, our suggestion is that you go directly to the rental company's own site and print off a copy of the reservation from there and bring it with you. That will both assure you that the reservation was booked correctly as well as provide you with an ironclad document in the rare event there is a discrepancy at the rental counter (note that such discrepancies can happen no matter where you book your rental car, so that's a good practice even if you book through a different service than us). We do guarantee the rate on all reservations booked through our reservation system and will either work with the rental company to refund the overcharge or, if necessary, we'll even step up and reimburse you the difference ourselves. (We believe that our customers should never pay more when the error is not their fault.) If you have any further questions, the best thing to do is reach out to us via our website--we answer usually within minutes and can also help you more securely with your specific itinerary and inquiry. Safe travels!

By Chris L. [AutoSlash Rep]

Hey Susan! A reservation booked with any rental company through any source is treated 100% the same. So whether you book through Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, RentalCars.com, or even directly at the rental car company's own website, your reservation is 100% confirmed in the rental company's reservation system. (In fact, agents have to go to an extra screen to even see where it was booked--it looks exactly the same on their end no matter where it was booked.) That means that if we help you find a discounted rate and you book it through one of our supported vendors (like Priceline), it will be 100% the same as if you had booked it directly through the rental car company's own site--just cheaper! If you end up being told at the rental counter that they're sold out and they can't get you a car right away, we have an article with some helpful tips on how to overcome that here: http://support.autoslash.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2157150-what-happens-if-the-rental-company-is-sold-out. Note that the suggestions in that article work exactly the same whether you booked through one of our supported vendors or even directly on the rental car company's website. And if you get to the rental car counter and are told the price is different than you reserved, the best thing to do is be sure you have a screenshot or printout of your reservation directly on the rental company's own website (which you can get from their site even if you booked through a third-party agency), as that's the gold standard, and hang on to that in case you still need to contact the rental company's customer service department later on. Again, this is the same whether you've booked through a third-party travel agency or booking site or even on the rental company's own site--as a former rental car manager myself, I can tell you that glitches and errors can happen just the same no matter where you book the car. I hope this helps! For specific information, please feel free to reach out to us directly through our site and we're glad to look at your reservation and give you any further advice. We're super responsive!

By Chris L. [AutoSlash Rep]

Hey Bernadette, the TotalPrice is the total price including all taxes and fees for the full rental time as booked. So, the total would be $71.58 for the full two-day rental. I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, the best thing to do is contact us by replying to the email we sent you or contacting us through our site--that's both faster as well as more secure when discussing details about your specific reservation. Safe travels!

By Chris L. [AutoSlash Rep]

my name is Ronald REISS . my e-mail number is otisma1@yahoo.com..On 8/28/13 at 11:23am, I received an e-mail from autoslash saying that they booked a car rental with Dollar for 11/21/2013 at a renral of $261.71 including all fees and taxes,, and return at same location BDL on 11l27l2013. I called Dollar and requested a confirmation number. They advised me that they had no reservation. Please help and advise me....Thank you. Ronald Reiss

By Ronald R.
Questions? Get answers from the AutoSlash staff and other customers.

AutoSlash?